Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gene Kelly was hawt. Why did no one tell me this before?

I'd do him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 1:39 AM

OP, you may find this old, closed thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 11, 2021 3:47 AM

His buttocks were insouciant.

by Anonymousreply 2October 11, 2021 3:52 AM

R2 Um, what?

by Anonymousreply 3October 11, 2021 3:54 AM

Don't make me repeat it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 11, 2021 3:56 AM

Of course he was hot. Anybody who's seen any of his movies would know that.

by Anonymousreply 5October 11, 2021 3:57 AM

R2/R4, you may find this old, closed thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 11, 2021 3:57 AM

R2/R4, and this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 3:57 AM

Gene Kelly was always hot. He originated the role of Joey in “Pal Joey” and many said he was like his character: a womanizer, charming, great in bed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 3:59 AM

Amazing ass, toned, tight body. Fuck....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 4:02 AM

But, but....we have Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 4:06 AM

He was a sex object. And he knew it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 11, 2021 4:06 AM

Any more ass pics?

by Anonymousreply 12October 11, 2021 4:11 AM

I might be the only one who prefers Donald O' Connor's ass. I like them small and tight. Very edible.

by Anonymousreply 13October 11, 2021 12:49 PM

Dat ass

by Anonymousreply 14October 11, 2021 12:51 PM

Only two words for you, OP: "The Pirate." Vincente Minnelli really knew how to show of his hot, hot ass, and Gene was more than happy to oblige.

by Anonymousreply 15October 11, 2021 2:30 PM

He had a nice smile too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 11, 2021 2:43 PM

Pal Joey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 11, 2021 2:44 PM

[quote]Only two words for you, OP: "The Pirate." Vincente Minnelli really knew how to show of his hot, hot ass, and Gene was more than happy to oblige.

I'm not the OP but out of curiosity I looked up The Pirate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 1:27 AM

Debbie Reynolds said that, during a SINGIN IN THE RAIN bit, he kissed her and used tongue. She completely freaked out and pushed him away, not knowing what he was doing. She knew absolutely nothing about french kissing. He was really pissed off at her mainly for reacting so violently. I would have opened my mouth gladly and taken whatever he wa giving.

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 4:52 AM

Absolutely, R19. Same.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 4:55 AM

Some nice shots of his ass in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 4:59 AM

Would it count as necrophilia if you fancy a dead man?

by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 5:04 AM

Hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 5:08 AM

He had a great ass, but he had to die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 5:14 AM

He was quite short… a pocket sized star.

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 5:15 AM

Short guys have great asses.

I'd have filled him up like an eclair.

by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 5:18 AM

[quote] He was quite short…

With a weak voice and most of the 17 movies which he directed were duds.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 5:53 AM

R24 Thank you for that collage of the BEST ASS in Hollywood!!

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2021 11:14 AM

Yes, R24. Thanks.

He had a great face too. Just look at his facial expressions in R21. Great eyes.

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2021 1:23 PM

Gene Kelly's Butt has its own Tumblr page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2021 2:02 PM

Hot?

Short closet-case serial fucker with an ego as big as his wide ass?

No.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Oh please, R31.

Thanks, R30.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2021 2:07 PM

I mean he was totally hot but he was a traned dancer for years. He has the typical hot body of a dancer. It's just that he also manged to be cute af in the facal region.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2021 2:32 PM

*facial region.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2021 2:36 PM

Gene was much hotter than that twirling twig. When he danced you can even smell the manly musk.

by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2021 2:38 PM

Fred wasn't attractive, but he was very talented. He just wasn't hot the way Gene was.

Surely Gene had been with a man? Any rumours about that?

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote]Any rumours about that?

Arthur Laurents recounts in his memoir that Gene would say very homophobic things, which Laurents found odd, given the rumors. (Something I don't find odd at all.)

He also said that Kelly was an insecure show-off. Once, at a party, everyone was giving Noel Coward their rapt attention as he played a song on the piano. Kelly got jealous and began thirstily spinning about the living room trying to draw focus. Laurents was embarrassed for him.

by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2021 2:57 PM

OP, are you Helen Keller? Not blind? You'd have to be blind and deaf to not know Gene Kelly was hot.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2021 2:59 PM

Of course, in true DL fashon every time people are praising a former star someone has to out him as either gay or a homophobe or an asshole/bitch or a variation of the 3. We can never have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 39October 14, 2021 3:09 PM

No, R38. I just never paid much attention before.

I read somewhere that Gene was very insecure, R37. He used to watch himself on film and wince and cringe at his performance because he thought he was terrible on film. Why someone so talented would think that is something I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 40October 14, 2021 3:09 PM

Ok then OP. I suggest you also notice Gregory Peck, William Holden and Burt Lancaster.

by Anonymousreply 41October 14, 2021 3:41 PM

Reedy voiced sexual predator of both sexes with as much taste as a dog eating its own day-old vomit.

'REAL MEN CAN DANCE, TOO!!!!" he'd always say.

Hermes and I would just laugh. Gurlll.

by Anonymousreply 42October 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Never got the Burt Lancaster hype. He reminds me of JFK, who I also never got the hype for. I remember reading a letter from Tennessee Williams right after casting Brando saying he was "almost as good looking" as Burt. He was however a great actor though.

by Anonymousreply 43October 14, 2021 4:42 PM

Apparently Gene Kelly did everything he could to ruin Gene Nelson's career. Nelson was actually a better singer, and perhaps a better dancer, but he didn't have Kelly's charisma.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 14, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]Of course, in true DL fashon every time people are praising a former star someone has to out him as either gay or a homophobe or an asshole/bitch or a variation of the 3. We can never have nice things.

You starry-eyed fans are so adorable.

by Anonymousreply 45October 14, 2021 4:57 PM

Gene Nelson was at another studio though (Warner Brothers mostly), plus Nelson's career really started to take off on film around 1950 or so. Nelson was very cute, had a more pleasant singing voice than Kelly, had a hot bod, and was probably a better dancer than Kelly and certainly more athletic. He was a gymnast and had been a professional figure skater, having started out touring with Olympian great and movie star Sonja Henie in her ice shows! Here's Nelson in an unbelievably impressive number dancing and showing mastery of boxing and various gymnastic equipment leading up to greeting Virginia Mayo in 'She's Working Her Way Through College". Look at those great arms and bod on this Gene, too! No wonder Jane Powell fell in love with him while working on "Three Sailors and A Girl".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 5:19 PM

R46: That's a tuck any drag queen would envy!

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 5:24 PM

tuck? He's very masculine.

by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 5:27 PM

R48 He shows no VPL

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2021 5:30 PM

It's strapped in so he could do all that gymnastics!

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]Only two words for you, OP: "The Pirate." Vincente Minnelli really knew how to show of his hot, hot ass, and Gene was more than happy to oblige.

[quote]Surely Gene had been with a man? Any rumours about that?

Isn’t it common knowledge that during filming of The Pirate, Judy walked in on Gene fucking (being fucked by?) her husband/the director Vincente Minnelli.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 5:48 PM

I'd never heard of Gene Nelson before. He was very talented.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 5:51 PM

You might have seen him as WIll Parker in the movie version of "Oklahoma!", probably his best known film. He's wonderful playing opposite Gloria Grahame's Ado Annie.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 5:54 PM

Will, that is

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 5:55 PM

Sounds hot, R51. I never heard that story.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 6:09 PM

Does he have "an" OnlyFans?

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 6:10 PM

R52 you must be new on DL because DL has an indefatigably devoted Gene Nelson Stan who post about Gene Nelson in every thread even remotely related, or not at all related, to Gene Nelson. I wonder if the indefatigably devoted Gene Nelson Stan is the same person as the indefatigably devoted Capucine Stan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 6:18 PM

R51 Tired of all these 'walked in on stories' Certainly some people must have known that doors can be locked.

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2021 6:28 PM

The Gene Nelson Stan is also a big FOLLIES fan or stan. Thanks for playing, stanley!

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2021 6:32 PM

Was he 100% hetero?

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2021 6:34 PM

There's a Capucine Stan? I can understand a Vera-Ellen stan though.

by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2021 6:36 PM

Yes the Capucine Stan has been around for years. There's also the Gia Carangi WAS a Supermodel Stan and the niche Willy Cartier Stan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2021 6:45 PM

Well, "Walk on the Wild Side" was on TCM recently which had Capucine 2nd billed, so she's co-starring in that thread. Back to Gene Kelly's ass and Gene Nelson's arms.

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2021 6:48 PM

Who, R60? Gene Kelly?

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2021 6:49 PM

I can't say "hawt" but even here, when he was pulling up damn close to 70, he was a handsome guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote]Tired of all these 'walked in on stories' Certainly some people must have known that doors can be locked.

As someone who has been "walked in" upon while having sex with someone's husband, I can tell you that it does happen.

by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2021 7:02 PM

He ruined Xanadu

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2021 7:06 PM

I recently re-watched The Pirate on TCM and forgot how bad it really is. Mostly poor songs by Cole Porter (except "Be A Clown") and a silly script even by MGM musical standards.

But Kelly's butt is a saving grace along with the pirate hot pants he wore in the ludicrous fantasy sword dance.

But every time I watch him there's no mistaking the level of self-love he display onscreen.

If Kelly wanted any man-sex, he could certainly do far better than Vincente Minnelli, which is why I don't buy that tale.

I don't know that Gene Nelson was a better dancer than Kelly, but he was very good. He had the misfortune of being at Warners which churned out mostly mediocre, second rate musicals with the exception of Pajama Game and Damn Yankees, neither of which featured Nelson. The studio's other "big" musical, Calamity Jane, is really bad with Doris Day doing her imitation of Yosemite Sam.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2021 7:18 PM

R66 dear, you are in the wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2021 7:19 PM

R66 was responding to r51

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2021 7:20 PM

Gene Nelson and Donald O'Connor were equally fine dancers as Kelly, though the first two were probably even more athletic, with Nelson's gymnast skills and O'Connor jumps of the walls in "Singin' in the Rain". The title number in that film, while iconic for Kelly, isn't that difficult dance-wise. Watching "Fit as a Fiddle" O'Connor I think is more fun to watch, as Kelly seems too much in love with himself and showing off. O'Connor just seems to enjoy dancing and doing it really well. Plus that big "Broadway Melody" number, while a great showcase for Cyd Charisse, isn't as showy a number for Kelly as "Make 'em Laugh" for O'Connor, and "Broadway Melody" is too damn long.

by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote]If Kelly wanted any man-sex, he could certainly do far better than Vincente Minnelli, which is why I don't buy that tale.

It wasn't because Kelly was lusting after Minnelli.

Knowing Kelly, he was fucking his director for the same reason Joan Crawford did: to ensure the best closeups and lighting.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2021 7:25 PM

I think Crawford also just enjoyed sex with lots of guys, like Samantha on "Sex and the City", too.

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2021 7:28 PM

Kelly was good-looking, boyishly appealing with a great smile and he was an athletic dancer, but he was never sexy or hot to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2021 8:05 PM

🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote] Isn’t it common knowledge that during filming of The Pirate, Judy walked in on Gene fucking (being fucked by?) her husband/the director Vincente Minnelli.

That's very funny. Who said that? Darwin Porter? Scotty Bowers? Kenneth Anger? William J. Mann? All of them are queens who told outrageous, unsubstantiated tales.

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote] Isn’t it common knowledge that during filming of The Pirate, Judy walked in on Gene fucking (being fucked by?) her husband/the director Vincente Minnelli.

No, it isn't common knowledge, R51.

But it is common knowledge that daffy queens will seek validation in wishful thinking and believing in utterly undocumented anecdotes.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2021 9:21 PM

a poster on another thread said a friend of his walked in on Robert Wagner fucking Laurence Harvey in a sauna/steam room at a Palm Springs Hotel! Really!!!!

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2021 10:04 PM

^ Ridiculous wishful thinking.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2021 10:06 PM

So who was the top, Kelly or Minnielli?

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote] you must be new on DL because DL has an indefatigably devoted Gene Nelson Stan

And we also have an indefatigably devoted John Payne fan.

And we also have an indefatigably devoted Joel McCrea fan.

I, of course, am the Martita Hunt fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2021 10:13 PM

I did hear in a bio of Judy Garland that she walked in on her lover while he was having sex with a man. But I never heard anywhere that the two men were Vincente Minnelli and Gene Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2021 11:53 PM

Who on earth is Martitsa Hunt?

by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2021 12:05 AM

R83 You are obviously an ignorant daffy queen.

Otto Preminger invited Martita Hunt to America in 1948.

She won best actress at the New York Tonys in 49.

And she appeared in this extremely-clever movie in 1946—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2021 12:36 AM

R66 And it rarely ends well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2021 1:55 AM

Lets get back to Gene Kelly and rumours of his sexual encounters with men, please.

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote] rumours of his sexual encounters

How many rumours can we fabricate?

I'm making up the rumour that he committed fellatio on the exiled Duke of Windsor whilst being sodomised by Dwight Eisenhower.

How about that!

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 2:03 AM

Martita Hunt is also quite good in the great movie version of "The Admirable Crichton", released in America under the title "Paradise Lagoon". It's a combination of "Downton Abbey" and "Gilligan's Island" (I kid you not) about the class system and what happens to it when the upstairs/downstairs set get marooned on a desert island. Don't worry -- Martita's not in a swimsuit. But Kenneth More, Sally Ann Howes and Diane Cilento are, among others. Really fun film, based on the play by James M. Barrie, who wrote "Peter Pan".

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 2:34 AM

Martita Hunt is delightful in 'Anastasia' where she gets to wear some flattering contemporary dresses in some scenes.

And the (gay) scriptwriter Arthur Laurents supplied this scene where she plays a flighty handmaiden called Baroness Elena von Livenbaum after she and the Empress meet Yul Brynner as Bounine.

Dowager Empress: So, Bounine is still attractive. Baroness Elena von Livenbaum: Yes, Your Majesty. Dowager Empress: *Madly* attractive. Baroness Elena von Livenbaum: *Yes*, Your Majesty. Dowager Empress: Lievenbaum, your voluptuous fancies are disgusting! To a woman of your age, sex should mean nothing but gender!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 2:58 AM

This thread is about Gene Kelly, not Martita Hunt, so move it along, Toots.

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 3:02 AM

What about that rumour about Gene Kelly and Jean Simmons?

Was Gene Kelly locked into one strong studio contract? And was he ever loaned out to other studios?

by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 3:10 AM

Gene Kelly was loaned out relatively early during his time at MGM. One really good film he did was co-starring with Deanna Durbin in the very-misleading-titled "Christmas Holiday", a film noir with a few songs for Deanna. It has her playing a Donna Reed-From Here to Eternity-type prostitute after Kelly's bad guy really goes wrong. He plays someone very similar to Pal Joey here, though no dancing or singing for him. It's enough for him and Deanna to have to deal with Gale Sondergaard as his mother. Very good film with fine acting from all, but not a feel-good Christmas film like you might expect from the title. That was made at Universal, Durbin's home studio.

by Anonymousreply 92October 15, 2021 3:23 AM

Here's "Christmas Holiday":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 3:28 AM

Was Gene cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 94October 15, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote]If Kelly wanted any man-sex, he could certainly do far better than Vincente Minnelli, which is why I don't buy that tale.

Gene was obviously a narcissist, and they don’t fuck you because they find you attractive; they fuck you because you find THEM attractive. Plus, Minnelli was in a power position and married, so could be trusted to keep their secret. And it was convenient. It’s not that far-fetched.

Also, the rest of the story was that the encounter sent Judy reeling (she didn’t need much of a push) and that her walking in on Gene and Vincente was the reason that Gene was replaced by old-enough-to-be-her-father, Fred Astaire as her love interest in Easter Parade.

And that the ‘Gene hurt his ankle’ excuse for bowing out was bullshit.

I thought this was well-discussed here on DL and generally accepted as being as close to being true as gossip gets.

—R51

by Anonymousreply 95October 15, 2021 1:07 PM

She couldn't try for Donald O'Connor? I mean he had Marilyn Monroe as a love interest in "There's No Business Like Show Business" and Debbie Reynolds in "I Love Melvin", and Judy was closer in age, too.

by Anonymousreply 96October 15, 2021 3:08 PM

R96 In fairness, Judy *looked* closer to Fred's age.

by Anonymousreply 97October 15, 2021 3:12 PM

I love Martita!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 15, 2021 3:59 PM

Was Tommy Rall gay or straight? He was very cute and a great dancer too who didn't get too many breaks, as his career was just getting into gear as movie musicals were on their way out. He just died a year or two ago. Very talented -- in his dancing duel with Bob Fosse in "My Sister Eileen" musical, Rall wins, by doing even more difficult moves.

by Anonymousreply 99October 15, 2021 6:13 PM

Rall was married twice (the first marriage was brief), so who knows?

He was a great dancer and fine singer. He and Ann Miller are perfect together in Kiss Me Kate.

by Anonymousreply 100October 15, 2021 7:43 PM

R99, R100 Be careful!

The OP will chastise you for veering away from discussion of Kelly's buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 101October 15, 2021 8:03 PM

Gene Kelly was a jerk. A complete jerk. Yes he was good looking, and I enjoy his movies and his dancing but I'm saddened by the fact that he was a bruiser and a control freak. "Inappropriate to co-stars" is an understatement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 15, 2021 8:06 PM

[quote] control freak

That's the director's job.

by Anonymousreply 103October 15, 2021 8:08 PM

Move it along, Toots, R99, R100!! This thread is about Gene Kelly, not Tommy Rall!

by Anonymousreply 104October 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Gene Kelly had a sub-par singing voice, but a very above par ass.

by Anonymousreply 105October 15, 2021 11:49 PM

[quote] Gene was obviously a narcissist, and they don’t fuck you because they find you attractive; they fuck you because you find THEM attractive. Plus, Minnelli was in a power position and married, so could be trusted to keep their secret. And it was convenient. It’s not that far-fetched.

Oh, yes it is. VERY far-fetched. Gene Kelly and Vincente Minnelli fucking...maybe that's a fantasy for YOU but to actually believe Kelly and Minnelli fucked is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 1:05 AM

People bitching about him being a perfectionist and hard on fellow dancers...that's the whole reason why he was one of the world's most successful dancers instead of just a mediocre one. Of course people at the top of their field are difficult, insecure, and even narcissistic assholes. Without some of those traits great musicians, artists, dancers, athletes etc...wouldn't achieve greatness, and if they didn't, someone else would.

by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 1:14 AM

Gene Kelly definitely had a mean edge. Even as a kid when I saw Xanadu I thought he was mean to Olivia. Too strict or something.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 1:31 AM

There are some nice ones at the top. You don't have to be a bastard to others, but maybe you have to be hard on yourself.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 1:32 AM

No one wants to comment on Kelly's toupee?

by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 1:39 AM

We're still waiting to hear if he was cut or not, R110.

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!