Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Judy Garland & Barbra Streisand singing together..

This was so bizarre, but yet beautiful. The two songs really didn’t sync well until the end, but it was still a terrific performance.

Eldergays, where did this take place? What show was this? Was this Judy (an older star) passing on the torch to a new younger starlet, similar to Madonna and Britney?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 19, 2021 4:30 AM

You're trolling, right OP?

by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] where did this take place? What show was this?

the link you posted contained this very information

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2021 10:48 PM

OP, we at DL have never had a thread on this particular performance before.

[quote] Eldergays, where did this take place? What show was this?

To answer your questions from the very link you posted:

[quote] From The Judy Garland Show, taped October 4, 1963 and aired October 6, 1963. A young Barbra Streisand is paired with Judy Garland for this amazing duet. One for the ages. The "mash up" of the two songs was Judy's idea. It came to her while listening to Barbra's recording of "Happy Days Are Here Again." "Get Happy" was, of course, a signature Judy Garland song.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2021 10:49 PM

[quote]OP, we at DL have never had a thread on this particular performance before.

Thank God there's finally a thread on it!

Now, if only we can have a thread on Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2021 10:54 PM

OP types like a 90-year-old bachelor, with the nerve to pretend to ask the "eldergays." But, depending on how one decides to take the OP:

1. No torch passed. Judy always was generous with younger talent. A part of her was a mom, even if a spectacularly individuated type of mom.

2. Does Mummum know you're up and playing with her phone, Corky?

3. Oh, for fuck's sake, you cakey twat.

And R2's succinctness would have been fine if only she could be bothered typing like a human being, with capitalization.

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote]Eldergays, where did this take place?

In a DL wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 10:56 PM

In the beginning, God created Judy. Then Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2021 10:58 PM

[quote] A part of her was a mom

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote]What show was this?

Ted Mack’s Original Amateur Hour

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2021 11:02 PM

Here's the whole show. The bit that followed the duet is a set up for Ethyl Merman. Watch as she out belts Barbra who is amused by it.

Start at 32:10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2021 11:13 PM

R5

lick

me

where

i

shit

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] The bit that followed the duet is a set up for Ethyl Merman.

So it was alcohol and pills on that show?

by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2021 11:17 PM

Overheard on the subway- "Oh, the concert was great, she closed the show with that old Patti LaBelle song 'Over the Rainbow.'"

by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2021 11:21 PM

Barbra lied about this performance. She said Judy was so nervous that she grabbed on to Barbra to calm her nerves. But Judy was handsy with all her guests.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2021 11:25 PM

I'm an Eldergay and Barbra was already an adult in this, filmed several years before I was born. She must be OLD now!

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2021 11:26 PM

It was filmed before they invented color. The world was so gray back then.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2021 11:30 PM

I like blue.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] "Ethyl Merman"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2021 11:33 PM

R17, are you also R8?

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 11:38 PM

Didn't they ban ethyl merman along with chlorofluorocarbons years ago?

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2021 11:42 PM

I love this clip of Garland with the Count Basie band. Fuck that Streisand bs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2021 11:42 PM

Ethyl Merman became Ethyl Eichelberger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2021 11:45 PM

The cue cards were actually cuneiform tablets, OP.

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2021 11:47 PM

Everything old is new again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2021 11:51 PM

Streisand was so green on this show it's weird that it propelled her into getting a CBS series of specials. Luckily by that time she'd gained confidence on camera x1000. Otherwise, her performances were A+

by Anonymousreply 25October 10, 2021 11:51 PM

[quote]The bit that followed the duet is a set up for Ethyl Merman. Watch as she out belts Barbra who is amused by it.

I got the impression that Barbra thought Ethel's fake show-biz pizzaz was cringy, which it was. I think she regretted being on the stage with such a hammy foghorn.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2021 12:34 AM

Ethyl Merman???

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2021 1:24 AM

I think this was on Ladies Night at the Continental Baths

Barry Manilow borrowed a Super 8 movie camera

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2021 1:43 AM

R28 = Amber Martin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2021 1:54 AM

I prefer Ethyl Merman to Ethyl Alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2021 1:57 AM

R14, she didn’t lie? Judy was incredibly high strung and insecure- and I might add speeding and drunk too at any given moment. I take Barbra at her word- Judy grabbed her hand hard- makes sense. Otherwise neither in their best voice, but due to the fact that these are two of their iconic numbers the duet has been sort of over praised. They do a much more exciting duet earlier in the show and each on their own in solo spots are in better voice. There is no doubt that you can make a good case for these two being the most talented women ever in entertainment. And that perhaps makes this coupling so important.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 2:04 AM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 2:07 AM

The only struggle Judy Garland shared with gay men was where to get the best drugs.

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2021 2:10 AM

No, OP. Neither Streisand nor Garland have any similarity whatsoever to Madonna or Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 2:12 AM

It was Marty Elrichman who decided that Garland would be Streisand's last "guest appearance" because he thought Garland was the pinnacle of showbiz and TV at the time. He felt there was nowhere else for her to go after that but to her own shows.

Streisand also said that Judy told her in her dressing room not to let them destroy her the way they did to her.

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2021 2:15 AM

I was around when they were stahs. Never liked any of them. Streisand had horrible teeth! Such posturing by all! Merman - aargh. Poor Liza actually came out as a winner!

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2021 5:48 AM

Both got an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program or Series - 1964. Barbra for her guest spot,Judy for the whole series.

Danny Kaye won.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2021 6:20 AM

Love Judy (obvs), love Babs, never could stand Ethel but I think we should stick with the "Ethyl" spelling because it's very Dataloungesque.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2021 6:29 AM

Marty Erlichman and Barbra, I've always wondered about their relationship. I suppose I could read a book about her or something, but for the moment, what can anyone tell me about their long association?

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2021 6:40 AM

The guy who ran the Barbra Streisand Museum in the Castro had this Judy Garland episode on a loop playing on an old tv set on a porch staged with a Judy Garland mannequin wearing a costume that Garland wore on the show.

That ticky tacky little museum was like a slice of camp heaven.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2021 6:40 AM

R41: I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2021 6:46 AM

OP, the only thing Madonna passed onto Britney was herpes.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2021 7:16 AM

[quote]Was this Judy (an older star) passing on the torch to a new younger starlet, similar to Madonna and Britney?

Barbra Streisand was never a "starlet." Perhaps you have her confused with Pamela Tiffin.

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2021 7:36 AM

R31, Babs wasn't lying, she was naive.

Judy was in a dry drunk - that's why she was cold and shaky. Judy's grabbiness was perfunctory, she even got reprimanded by CBS for kissing the female guests too much.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2021 12:51 PM

[quote]Marty Erlichman and Barbra...

R39, All you need to know:

Ehrlichman is over 90 years old and is no longer able to "manage" Streisand's career.

Ehrlichman is on payroll and will be until the day he dies. No way he will ever spill anything about Her.

by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2021 12:58 PM

Barbra is one of the most talented singers ever. She also caused a lot of pain and struggle in others' lives. Despite that, she has a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her authority and she pitied them.

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2021 1:23 PM

Barbra: No arrests. No addictions. No trips to rehab. One divorce, followed by a long-term stable marriage. Two Oscars, nine Golden Globes, ten Grammys, five Emmys, one special Tony Award, the Kennedy Center Honor, the American Film Institute Lifetime Achievement award, the Director's Guild of America award, etc., etc.

Now how difficult is it really to work with this woman? It seems that a net gain is usually assured.

by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote] At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her authority and she pitied them.

I gave you fuckers a gay son. What more can I do?

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2021 2:25 PM

R47, not so fast with no addictions. There's lots of stuff we know nothing about. Barbra Streisand could easily have addictions to Pantoprazole, Lipitor, Ambien, Lisinopril, Neurontin, Dulcolax and toe nail biting.

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2021 3:39 PM

R49, lol. The truth about Streisand is that she is a very together woman, and very very smart. Marty E. Has bern her manager all of her career with Few years hiatus when she was seeing and working with Jon Peters. She had some success with him but eventually her common sense took over and she severed her business ties with him and returned to Marty. There’s an entire side to her the public has very little knowledge of- her interests, her financial acumen, her philanthropy, her relationships over decades. Look for a YouTube interview with Bob Schulemberg, a life-long friend if you want some really good insight into Streisand. She and Garland have one thing in common: off the charts talent- otherwise they are not remotely alike.

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2021 4:05 PM

R50 Thanks, yes. She seems very steady in her way. I’m curious about the deep level of trust she must have had in Ehrlichman from the start. I imagine early in her career there were a lot of sharks circling around her.

by Anonymousreply 51October 11, 2021 4:11 PM

Streisand has a mall in her basement. That’s her neuroses.

by Anonymousreply 52October 11, 2021 4:15 PM

R52 I think it’s great. If you’ve got the money, why not indulge your fantasy?

by Anonymousreply 53October 11, 2021 4:16 PM

[quote] I think it’s great. If you’ve got the money, why not indulge your fantasy?

No judgment from me. It’s her money and she can spend it however she wants. I was pointing it out because r49 rightly pointed out that Barbra probably has some hidden addiction and I think it’s shopping.

by Anonymousreply 54October 11, 2021 4:25 PM

[quote]There’s an entire side to her the public has very little knowledge of

We don't want knowledge of it!

by Anonymousreply 55October 11, 2021 4:35 PM

At least Barbra didn't have to worry about an attention-addicted child trying to steal the spotlight from her, like poor Judy.

by Anonymousreply 56October 11, 2021 4:58 PM

Thanks, R50. It was a very interesting and informative interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2021 5:16 PM

R50 is Charlie, licking her ass as usual.

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2021 5:30 PM

Did you say starlet, r43?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2021 5:37 PM

I thought R50 was probably charlie, but where is the paragraph describing how his idol devotes most of her days to charity?

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2021 6:22 PM

Barbra first became aware of Garland when she was invited with other members of the "Wholesale" cast to watch a concert recording of Judy at NYs Manhatten Center in spring of 1962.

(page222 in the link attached)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 12, 2021 1:26 PM

Streisand was certainly aware of Lena Horne whom she borrowed heavily from in her early singing and nightclub act. Roslyn Kind confirmed that her sister listened to Lena on records. In the 1950s-60s, LH was the premier female night club performer, and even did Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 62October 12, 2021 1:53 PM

[quote]Barbra first became aware of Garland when she was invited with other members of the "Wholesale" cast to watch a concert recording of Judy at NYs Manhatten Center in spring of 1962.

Just a wild guess, but I'm pretty sure that Babs was aware of Judy before 1962.

by Anonymousreply 63October 12, 2021 6:15 PM

Yeah,but "it" didn´t register.

by Anonymousreply 64October 12, 2021 9:18 PM

It's fun to watch Judy bring her A game in that duet.

by Anonymousreply 65October 12, 2021 9:25 PM

mishpocheh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66October 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Judy sounded beautiful here.

by Anonymousreply 67October 12, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]Streisand was certainly aware of Lena Horne whom she borrowed heavily from in her early singing and nightclub act. Roslyn Kind confirmed that her sister listened to Lena on records. In the 1950s-60s, LH was the premier female night club performer, and even did Broadway.

The only performer that Barbra cites as an influence is Joni James.

Barbra's style never had anything in common with Lena Horne.

by Anonymousreply 68October 13, 2021 1:13 AM

R66 Roslyn looks like Tatum O'Neal in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2021 1:34 AM

^ It's photoshopped, the whole thing is photoshopped

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2021 1:40 AM

R68 apparently knows more than Roslyn Kind.

by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2021 1:56 AM

NYTimes 1985.

Barbra:'My favorite singer while I was growing up was Johnny Mathis. I also listened a lot to Joni James records and sang her hit, 'Have You Heard" at club auditions..."

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2021 12:18 AM

Link?

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2021 12:43 AM

Barbra as a teen singing "You'll Never Know".

Listen to the even the first few bars and then listen to Joni James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2021 12:53 AM

Joni James singing "You'll Never Know".

So similar it's eerie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2021 12:54 AM

Hey, "You'll Never Know" was MY signature song!

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]Alice Faye, as forgotten as Joni James

Joni James was never top tier famous. I don't even think she was all that great. But she recorded a lot, so she must have had plenty of fans back in her heyday.. She did have one big hit. Her sound was direct and modern without a lot of the embellishment that was popular among singers in the 1950s. I can understand why Streisand would have been attracted to that.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2021 7:55 PM

She heard her on the radio, R77, probably as a thirteen year old. I doubt she ever had a record of hers.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2021 9:06 PM

Erhyl Merman had a fabulous slim figure., but her face loked old, as if it did not belong to her body..

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2021 6:32 AM

^ No more drinky-poohs for you, dear... Night, night

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2021 9:25 AM

Barbra was at the top of her game singing with Judy. She craved being famous and when she was, she became terribly insecure. I can't even look at her now. Insecure people are weird.

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2021 9:46 AM

The only truth about her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2021 9:01 PM

The spelling of Ethel reminded me of when I saw Kurt Vonnegut once and he said when he worked on the Cornell Sun he once spelled Ethel Barrymore's name "Ethyl" in a headline. So don't feel bad, misspeller.

I like this duet medley even better than the Happy Days duet (for those who don't want to watch the whole show)...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 19, 2021 4:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!