Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Doilies

With so many of us on-the-go constantly surfing the cyber superhighway and the worldwide web, there has been a noticeable dearth of doilies.

Did you grow up in a doily-loving home?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 3:14 AM

Who doesn't love a doily-cookie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2021 11:47 PM

Ours was a doilycentric household.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2021 11:49 PM

OP = Iola Boylen

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2021 11:50 PM

My Aunt made them so even if my mom may have not been that into them she still displayed the ones my Aunt would give her. Is that what made me gay?

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2021 11:51 PM

Nah, we were an antimacassar family.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2021 11:54 PM

Joan Rivers once joked that she was once receiving the Queen as a visitor to her home, so she put a doily under the kitty litter box. The Queen liked it so much took it home to use it as a hat.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 12:12 AM

Doilies aren't something I'd necessarily put in my own home, but I do enjoy seeing in them in the homes of others.

And now I want a doily cookie. Actually, I want a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 7October 10, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote] she put a doily under the kitty litter box. The Queen liked it so much took it home to use it as a hat.

The doily or the kitty litter box?

by Anonymousreply 8October 10, 2021 12:29 AM

The doily and the kitty litter box.

by Anonymousreply 9October 10, 2021 12:49 AM

[quote]Nah, we were an antimacassar family.

I've always been anti-antimacassar.

by Anonymousreply 10October 10, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote]Is that what made me gay?

It was probably cock... which may or may not have had a doily draped over it

by Anonymousreply 11October 10, 2021 1:40 AM

Doilies make the best powdered sugar designs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 10, 2021 1:49 AM

Arrgh. My great-aunt died a few years ago, age 101. When my husband and I adopted our daughter, she was all over us like white on rice.

The year before she died, she presented us with a large set of very elaborate doilies that she made for us by hand. They were carefully stretched, ironed, and wound around special cardboard dowels so as not to ruin them. She mentioned that it took her the better part of two years' worth of evenings to finish them, corroborated by her best-friend, old biddie neighbor. They are cream colored and really intricate. My husband wanted to toss them before we packed to fly home. Then he wanted to ditch them in an airport bathroom. But I rescued them and, now, they are in a plastic storage bin under the bed in the guest room. I'll probably die with them still there. But for the fact that my dead grandmother's really old sister made them specially for my daughter....

Growing up? We had doilies under the lamps on the side tables in the living room, under the massive glass ashtray on the coffee table, under the huge, white Fenton glass vase on top the console TV, and in the middle of the dining room table under whatever the seasonal centerpiece was. This time of year, it would be a woven cornucopia with plastic fruits spilling out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 10, 2021 1:51 AM

R13, thank you for bringing up Fenton art glass — did not know what they were called for years. We have several from my grandmothers home, which was mid-century modern as well. They’re apparently not worth a ton of money, but are wonderful pieces. We also own a piece or two or ‘Murano’ glass.

by Anonymousreply 14October 10, 2021 2:01 AM

That’s lovely, R13.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2021 2:06 AM

R14 I have several pieces I bought on Murano. I toured two foundries one day and ended up splurging in the showrooms. My favorite is about 20” tall, a pair of men in an embrace. It looks something like this, but explicitly two men

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2021 2:54 AM

Ive still got several my beloved Grandma made. I dont use them,but I do treasure them. I grew up in a very doily laden home,and I used my share over the years but as my taste changed i just dont care for them now as much.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2021 3:03 AM

When in doubt...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2021 3:11 AM

Well, hello, doily.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!