Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greg here. I'm making steak tonight.

What about you?

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 6:07 AM

I’m not.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 10:01 PM

butta' and a skillet?

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 10:02 PM

Beef biryani, but instead of beef I'm using Morningstar crumbles, which when heavily seasoned as in a biryani, takes on the flavors of the dish about as well as meat.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 10:03 PM

Leftover blueberry pancakes for dinner over here!

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

Black beans and rice with smoked sausage.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

I'm making time.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

Tri tip roast. I'm having just a green salad with it. My partner is getting mashed potatoes and leftover ratatouille with it. And maybe a tomato salad for him.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 10:06 PM

Bobby here. Pork chops and apple sauce.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 10:09 PM

Kielbasa, sauerkraut and potato pancakes along with an ice-cold beer.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 10:10 PM

[quote] I'm making steak tonight. What about you?

This should’ve been a poll.

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 10:10 PM

Are you draining your steak?

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 10:10 PM

Is that steak - RARE?

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote] butta' and a skillet?

Close!

I take a few peeled (but not chopped) garlic cloves and put them in a sauté pan with evoo. I put the heat on pretty high and sauté and occasionally stir the garlic for about three minutes or until golden. I remove that pan from the heat and put in three sprigs of rosemary. Put this aside.

Then I set a cast iron skillet over high heat and let the pan get good and hot. Leave it on to preheat for at least ten minutes. Then I rub my steaks with kosher salt and a small amount of evoo. Place the steaks in the screaming hot pan (with no additional oil), and cook it until brown and crusty on one side, about 2.5 minutes. I then turn it over, add three tablespoons of cut up butter and a couple of sprigs of thyme. Keep basting the steaks with the melted butter and cook for about 1.5 minutes. Remove from the heat while still quite rare.

Transfer the steaks to a cutting board, let rest for ten minutes, and slice on an angle about 1/2 inch thick.

Reheat the rosemary oil over moderately high heat. As the oil begins to heat up, put in the steak slices and any juices they may have released. Cook for 1 minute, turning the slices and seasoning with black pepper. Transfer the meat to a warm platter and pour all the pan juices on top, holding back the rosemary and garlic. Serve piping hot.

Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 10:16 PM

Arby’s value meal with crinkle fries and a fruit punch.

Jealous?

I also got the Carmel cookie.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote] Bobby here. Pork chops and apple sauce.

Ah, that was Peter.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 10:18 PM

I always liked Arby's curly fries. I don't care if they were extruded plastic or whatevs.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] I also got the Carmel cookie.

Are such cookies from the California town where Clint Eastwood was mayor?

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2021 10:19 PM

[quote] Black beans and rice with smoked sausage.

That sounds nice. I made that the other night.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2021 10:20 PM

Thank you, Greg. Once again, I realize that I am filth.

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2021 10:20 PM

Peanut butter sandwich with blackberry jelly then some fruit and cottage cheese.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2021 10:22 PM

[quote] Thank you, Greg. Once again, I realize that I am filth.

Thanks for the laugh. I doubt that you're quite filth.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 10:23 PM

Greg, I thought Datalounge decided years ago that cooking with olive oil at high heat is not healthy due to the oxidation/free radicals when heated to high temperatures.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2021 10:26 PM

I also like to squeeze some lemon juice over the steak before I serve them and then sprinkle with Maldon Salt.

For the oil and garlic at the start of my recipe, I use 1/3 cup evoo and 12 medium garlic cloves and then 2 sprigs of rosemary.

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2021 10:27 PM

[quote] Greg, I thought Datalounge decided years ago that cooking with olive oil at high heat is not healthy due to the oxidation/free radicals when heated to high temperatures.

I'm not using a lot and I am using a quality product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2021 10:31 PM

Chicken Marengo.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2021 10:39 PM

Beef and noodles......and a nice salad.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2021 10:41 PM

Bridge mix and mt. dew. Sorry; I dieted all week and went crazy tonight.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2021 10:43 PM

Meat loaf, only because I took the ground beef out to thaw a couple of days ago and if it's not cooked tonight I must bin it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2021 10:53 PM

Grilling pork chops here. Well, my husband is. I’m lolling on the couch.

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2021 10:53 PM

R29, did you do it for the lolls?

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2021 10:59 PM

Greg eats his steak well done with ketchup.

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2021 11:10 PM

Thanks, Greg.

I guess I'll have to blame my rapidly aging face on something else.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2021 11:17 PM

I'm making Mongolian beef and Hong Kong style vegetable chow mein. Essentially, homemade Chinese takeout food.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2021 11:25 PM

I made stuffed cabbage, and Kov roghan (It's an uzbek fried chicken,potato, and tomato stew like dish)

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2021 11:28 PM

Are you Uzbek, R34?

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2021 11:30 PM

Yes Greg, we had grilled steaks, sweet potatoes, and peas w/ prosciutto.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2021 11:32 PM

Greg your steak sounds really oily! Is it?

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2021 11:40 PM

Rice cakes :-(

Greg, I’m glad you understand the worth of a few squeezes of lemon and Maldon salt!

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2021 11:43 PM

Bacon and tomato sandwich, kettle chips and a glass of ice cold milk.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2021 11:43 PM

R35 I lived with an Uzbek family for 10 years. The mother taught me everything she knew how to cook.

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2021 11:44 PM

I purchased a chicken pot pie made by the grocery store (Bristol Farms). It’s very high-quality and I enjoy it. I’m going to dice up some shallots & celery and sauté for a bit. Then add some French thyme and some extra pieces of chicken and add it to the cooked pot pie. It’s delicious!

by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2021 11:47 PM

I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2021 11:53 PM

Sorry, Greg but using EVOO to sear something is just wrong. It adds nothing to the dish and is a waste of your "good quality" EVOO. Searing should be done with something like sunflower seed oil (my go-to). People who do this are generally signaling, "look at me and my great expensive products." And it's almost always men who give vivid descriptions about brands and high-end items. I belong to a number of FB cooking groups and it happens all the time. It's cringe inducing. I don't mean to dunk on you, just don't be one of those guys.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] Sorry, Greg but using EVOO to sear something is just wrong. It adds nothing to the dish and is a waste of your "good quality" EVOO. Searing should be done with something like sunflower seed oil (my go-to). People who do this are generally signaling, "look at me and my great expensive products." And it's almost always men who give vivid descriptions about brands and high-end items. I belong to a number of FB cooking groups and it happens all the time. It's cringe inducing. I don't mean to dunk on you, just don't be one of those guys.

I agree with you. I normally sauté with canola or avocado oil. What I advised was,

"Then I rub my steaks with kosher salt and a small amount of evoo. Place the steaks in the screaming hot pan (with no additional oil)..."

I am not searing in olive oil. I rub the steaks with a small amount of evoo and kosher salt. I do this when I take the steak out of the refrigerator at least one hour before cooking them. Then I do not put any additional oil in the pan.

I am not signaling anything.

by Anonymousreply 44October 10, 2021 11:52 AM

Greg's not searing in olive oil. He's using it as a marinade of sorts.

by Anonymousreply 45October 10, 2021 3:24 PM

[quote] Greg your steak sounds really oily! Is it?

Yeah, I love oily, greasy steak.

Ah, no. It's not at all oily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 10, 2021 3:32 PM

Another way that is slightly different.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 10, 2021 3:35 PM

And finally...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 10, 2021 3:36 PM

Greg, are you hot?

by Anonymousreply 49October 10, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] Greg, are you hot?

Heat is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think of myself as hot. But I'm attractive and in good shape.

by Anonymousreply 50October 10, 2021 4:26 PM

My husband likes meatloaf so I'm making it for his birthday.

by Anonymousreply 51October 10, 2021 4:53 PM

Chocolate cream pie with a dash of raspberry sauce around the edges if I feel like really pushing myself.

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2021 6:29 PM

Greg

Why do you cook your steak after cutting it? Doesn’t it get overcooked?

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2021 6:38 PM

Who is Greg?

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2021 6:48 PM

I heard that Greg uses a fecal dry rub on his stakes. Giardialicious!

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2021 6:56 PM

Greg what do you think of steaks rubbed with porcini mushroom powder? Have you ever tried it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2021 11:35 PM

People who say "evoo" should be dragged into the street and shot.

by Anonymousreply 57October 11, 2021 12:42 AM

[quote] Greg Why do you cook your steak after cutting it? Doesn’t it get overcooked?

That's why I said, "remove from the heat while still quite rare."

And, why Giuliano Hazan says, "Grill for about 5 minutes on each side for rare steak. Bear in mind that after it is sliced, the meat will be briefly exposed to heat in the skillet."

And why Marcella says, "the meat should be quite, quite rare."

When it goes into the hot olive oil, garlic, and rosemary, it both warms it up from its resting state, it provides a lot of delicious flavor, and it finishes cooking—bringing it up to a perfect medium rare.

Trust me....this is a delicious way to cook steak. Just be sure to get your cast iron skillet blazing hot (put on the kitchen fan and open the windows). And, your steak should be thick enough so that it can get a good brown crust on the outside while remaining very rare on the inside.

Tyler Florence let's his steaks rest in a pan of clarified butter, garlic, and fresh herbs. He says:

"Place the steak in the clarified butter, sage, thyme and garlic mixture, and leave to rest for 10 minutes, basting the top with butter. Remove the steak from the clarified butter and place on kitchen roll to remove any excess fat before slicing."

One more tip, don't pepper your steak before searing it. Black pepper can turn bitter or lose its fresh taste when you use it too early. I finish my steak with a shower of freshly ground black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 58October 11, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote] Tyler Florence [bold] let's [/bold] his steaks rest in a pan of clarified butter, garlic, and fresh herbs.

Oh, dear. Should have been [bold] lets [/bold] or even better, "allows"

by Anonymousreply 59October 11, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote] Greg what do you think of steaks rubbed with porcini mushroom powder? Have you ever tried it?

I have not tried this, but it looks delicious and I definitely will try it. The finished steak looks so good with the bone, the crusty exterior, the rare interior, and the Maldon salt sprinkled over the top.

by Anonymousreply 60October 11, 2021 3:30 PM

A friend of mine recommends this Trader Joe's rub with coffee and garlic. I have not tried it, but she raves about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2021 3:32 PM

[quote]Greg's not searing in olive oil. He's using it as a marinade of sorts.

Uh... you ARE Greg. What the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote] Who is Greg?

A smart DL influencer.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote] I heard that Greg uses a fecal dry rub on his stakes. Giardialicious!

No, I use the fecal dry rub on pork chops, not steak. It's delicious with fennel pollen.

Niman Ranch Pork with Fecal-Fennel Pollen. It's so good!

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2021 3:45 PM

Lemon chicken with roasted potatoes and a Greek village salad.

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2021 3:48 PM

Greek Village Salad is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 66October 11, 2021 3:49 PM

Swanson Hungry Man Dinner

by Anonymousreply 67October 11, 2021 4:04 PM

Greg, Are you a trained chef? Your recipes sound awesome.

by Anonymousreply 68October 11, 2021 4:08 PM

No steak for me, I don't eat mammals.

Also, I guess it's an Americanised way of saying it but you don't 'make' it, you cook it surely?

by Anonymousreply 69October 11, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote] Greg, Are you a trained chef? Your recipes sound awesome.

Nice of you to say! No, I am not a trained chef. Though many years ago I did catering work and learned a lot from the woman I worked for who ultimately shared her business with me and got me a catering positions with some private clubs in Boston/Cambridge. I just love making good food, reading about cooking, and I really love eating and feeding others. The best way to learn how to cook is by doing it over and over, learning from mistakes, and also learning from good chefs (books, television, internet).

by Anonymousreply 70October 11, 2021 4:33 PM

[quote] Also, I guess it's an Americanised way of saying it but you don't 'make' it, you cook it surely?

Yes, that's right.

by Anonymousreply 71October 11, 2021 4:35 PM

Greg, would you describe yourself as more off a wimp, or a simp?

by Anonymousreply 72October 12, 2021 4:45 AM

more OF!

by Anonymousreply 73October 12, 2021 4:46 AM

Stop trying to make "Greg" happen.

He's not happening. Not ever.

by Anonymousreply 74October 12, 2021 4:50 AM

In my Midwestern town we make a specialty called Steak De Burgo where you cook the steak in a garlic butter sauce. Order medium and below it melts in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 75October 12, 2021 4:51 AM

Greg, I want to make chicken fried steak for my parents. I keep finding recipes for country fried steak, but that isn't the same (a flour coating). I make very good fried chicken. Do I just prepare the steak the same way I do my chicken? The same crumb breading and seasoning? I know that makes good fried chickem, will it work with cube steak?

by Anonymousreply 76October 12, 2021 4:58 AM

*^Chicken.

OBVIOUSLY.

by Anonymousreply 77October 12, 2021 4:59 AM

But what the DL really wants to know ... What is Gregg with 2-g's making for dinner tonight?

by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2021 9:39 AM

[quote] Greg, would you describe yourself as more off a wimp, or a simp?

Why are you so rude and unkind? Ask yourself that.

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote] Greg, I want to make chicken fried steak for my parents. I keep finding recipes for country fried steak, but that isn't the same (a flour coating). I make very good fried chicken. Do I just prepare the steak the same way I do my chicken? The same crumb breading and seasoning? I know that makes good fried chickem, will it work with cube steak?

How nice that you want to make this for your parents!

There is one clear difference between the two dishes: the color of the gravy. Country-fried steak is covered in brown gravy, while chicken-fried steak comes with peppery white gravy. Chicken-fried steak usually has a crispier coating. Sometimes, chicken-fried is even served with the gravy on the side to allow the crispiness to be fully appreciated. Country-fried steak, on the other hand, is sometimes smothered with gravy before the final stage of cooking, so that the outer layer gets infused with the sauce.

Here is a recipe from Ree Drummond. I think that the coating is the same type of coating used with fried chicken. Do you not use flour when making fried chicken?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2021 1:16 PM

Here's one more recipe that looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2021 1:17 PM

[quote] In my Midwestern town we make a specialty called Steak De Burgo where you cook the steak in a garlic butter sauce. Order medium and below it melts in your mouth.

Sounds delicious! Filet Mignon is the traditional cut to use, which is why it melts in your mouth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2021 1:20 PM

One more that looks authentic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2021 1:22 PM

[quote] But what the DL really wants to know ... What is Gregg with 2-g's making for dinner tonight?

Something unspeakable, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2021 1:22 PM

Can someone American please explain to me why it's called 'chicken fried steak'?

It seems like you're using either too many words, or the words in the wrong order. It sounds wrong.

Is it chicken that has been fried in steak grease? A steak that has been fried in chicken grease? A chicken steak that's been fried? Literally just fried chicken but you have to add 'steak' at the end because otherwise you think it has a bone in it? If so, why isn't it a fried chicken steak?

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote] Can someone American please explain to me why it's called 'chicken fried steak'?

Chicken fried steak got its name around the mid-1900s because it's prepared the same way as fried chicken, with both egg and flour for the breading. It is most often made with cube steak.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2021 3:35 PM

You can see in the images above that it resembles fried chicken. It is "chicken fried" ... steak.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2021 3:37 PM

[quote] Stop trying to make "Greg" happen. He's not happening. Not ever.

Well, there's where you're mistaken. The very fact that you write to me to say that is evidence that "Greg" has already happened. He's happening!

Thanks for stopping by.

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2021 4:29 PM

Greg seems like the love child of Charles Nelson Reilly and Quentin Crisp.

by Anonymousreply 89October 13, 2021 4:52 AM

[quote] Greg seems like the love child of Charles Nelson Reilly and Quentin Crisp.

Not sure how you meant that, but I take it as a compliment. I've always loved CNR.

by Anonymousreply 90October 13, 2021 1:38 PM

Greg uses diarrhea as an ingredient for his secret steak sauce. It gives it an extra tang.

by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 8:07 AM

[quote] Greg uses diarrhea as an ingredient for his secret steak sauce. It gives it an extra tang.

Another eight year old heard from.

by Anonymousreply 92October 15, 2021 2:55 PM

I have a little crush on our Greg.

by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] I have a little crush on our Greg.

Mwah!

by Anonymousreply 94October 15, 2021 8:51 PM

Greg attempted auto-fellatio but dislocated his shoulder in the process.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 6:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!