Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

To Drain Pasta or Not?

I was having lunch in the office today with some coworkers and we got onto the topic of how to properly drain pasta. I thought everyone used a colander. What I found out was that doing so is considered very middle-class. I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 74February 7, 2022 11:33 AM

You’re walking on dangerous ground, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 9:57 PM

Gurl...

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 10:02 PM

Just an innocent question, huh?

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 10:02 PM

I can hardly wait for fond recollections of dear old Italian grandmothers to come pouring in. They always do.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

If I'm cooking something easy to hold back with a wooden spoon, like filled ravioli or tortelini, I just do that and pour excess water from the cooking pot. Long pastas and tiny ones, I use a colander. I *am* Middle Class, so it's no worry for me.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 10:11 PM

I don't believe in a proper way to do most things.

I just use pasta tongs and remove pasta from the water, shake a few times and then put it on the plate. I'd probably use a colander but I don't own one.

Jack Lemmon in The Apartment was creative about it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 10:13 PM

I use tongs for long pasta like fettucine and spaghetti and a spider for short cuts like ziti and penne. The colander takes up too much space in the dishwasher. I also like my pasta water hot in case I need some to finish the dish. If I were going straight from the pot into a plate, I'd use a colander. But I never do that. I always finish my pasta in the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 10:17 PM

Obviously, this is correct. It's like the Easy Button. Why not do things the easy way if the outcome is going to be the same?

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 10:23 PM

We rather think that Mrs Patmore has that one all sorted out . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 10:34 PM

I rather think that Mrs. Patmore did not ever make pasta.

Have I told you that I have a cat named Mrs. Patmore?

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 10:38 PM

Only Americans use a spoon to twirl their pasta. The rest of the world uses the fork, sometimes against the edge of the plate.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 10:39 PM

r10, You may indeed be correct; tell me about the cat :)

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 10:40 PM

And I was once at a cocktail party with Laura Carmichael, Phyllis Logan, and Jim Carter. Laura Carmichael is really quite pretty in person.

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 10:41 PM

This thread will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 10:54 PM

And I was once at a cocktail party with Laura Carmichael, Phyllis Logan, and Jim Carter. Laura Carmichael is really quite pretty in person.

R13 No one gives a shit.

DL would only be impressed if you said you were once at a cocktail party with Lucille Carmichael.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote] No one gives a shit.

Do you speak for the entire DataLounge community?

I give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 11:00 PM

I use a colander unless it’s big chunky pasta and then I use this giant spoon that’s practically a colander. I dip a cup in for pasta water before draining.

And you know what? I use soap on my cast iron sometimes, too.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2021 11:01 PM

Italians usa a scolapasta.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2021 11:03 PM

If draining pasta makes me middle class I oughta start with that, I'll climb socially!

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote]Only Americans use a spoon to twirl their pasta.

Sono americano, ma non uso il cucchiaio.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2021 11:21 PM

I actually use uncooked pasta to dry my wet colander!

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote]Italians usa a scolapasta.

No, not necessarily. The last time I was in Italy visiting my family, my cousin used tongs to get the pasta out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 22October 11, 2021 5:21 AM

How does anyone use a spoon to twirl their pasta. I'm American, and I use my fork, like everyone I know, unless they are very young or very old. Then if they use a spoon they still don't twirl the pasta they cut it up and eat it like soup.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2021 5:26 AM

I put a plate over the pot, hold it over the sink and drain the water out!

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2021 10:05 AM

As a proportionate otter, I prefer polenta to maintain my ability to look down and see everything.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2021 10:31 AM

I only use organic rice spaghetti. Over the years I experimented and found the best way to drain it is pour the water and pasta into a metal mesh strainer (not plastic, only trash uses plastic) then pour kettle boiled hot water over it to get out the extra crap. This way the pasta is still piping hot when you eat it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2021 10:35 AM

Jesus K Ryste! You're getting the cooking water off the noodles. Who gives a fat rat's ass how you do it?

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2021 10:39 AM

I use an Oxo collander with a handle. It takes all of 10 seconds to dump the pasta in after cooking, and then put it back in the pot.

by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2021 10:43 AM

As long as you save some pasta water and finish with the sauce it does not fucking matter. The most disgusting thing is to overcook the pasta.

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2021 10:46 AM

R29, when I was a kid I used to love my mom's spaghetti. However, after decades of traveling the world and learning how to cook for myself, I was horrified when my mom made spaghetti during a recent trip back home. Not only did she boil the pasta to cook it, she then drained it, poured in the sauce, and basically let it boil in the sauce for another 30 minutes. By the time it was done, the past was like mush (and the sauce was essentially reduced to tomato water). Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2021 12:29 PM

R30 What a huge cunt. Hope you dumped the bitch after that.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2021 1:23 PM

I love my mom, but I'll cut her some slack on her diminished culinary skills.

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2021 2:21 PM

There's a reason the moment at :55 nearly started a war, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2021 2:23 PM

It isn't how you drain it, it's how you eat it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2021 3:27 PM

Ewwww.... CARBS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2021 3:31 PM

I feel attacked!

It's not time for me to eat again, I just ate Thursday!

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2021 3:34 PM

[quote]Jesus K Ryste! You're getting the cooking water off the noodles. Who gives a fat rat's ass how you do it?

Because we had a big fight thread a few years ago about draining pasta, and OP Greg is bringing the topic up, hoping to get a huge reaction out of it.

It's the same thing behind all the mayo threads we had for a few years after the big mayo fight.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2021 3:36 PM

[quote] What I found out was that doing so is considered very middle-class.

I slurp the pasta water up through a straw.

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2021 3:42 PM

I drain because I make enough for several meals, in different ways. And gasp! I put a little oil on it to prevent sticking since I usually make oil based dishes with it. You can bite me hard if you don't like it.

by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2021 3:47 PM

The OP is that awful Gregg, not me.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2021 3:48 PM

Does anyone still eat a noodle?

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2021 4:26 PM

Get a pasta pot with a strainer insert.

Case and thread closed (for good)!

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2021 4:52 PM

[quote[I only use organic rice spaghetti.

Those are rice noodles, not pasta.

by Anonymousreply 43October 12, 2021 10:45 PM

R43 Fuck off, it says spaghetti on the package.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2021 9:24 AM

I don't care for pasta water on my plate and that is what you get with tongs or other utensils (and no, I won't stand there like a fool waiting for water to drop, drop, drop off the pasta for a minute or two each time I grab a handful). Draining the pasta is the effective way to go. And anyway, in some cases, I add a bit of butter to the drained pasta (putting the pasta back into the now waterless pot and add the butter to melt and mix it all up). Why, yes, I'm a fat whore. How did you know?

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2021 11:24 AM

My secret shame: I used to rinse off pasta with cold water when it was done cooking!

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2021 2:11 PM

R46 Then the pasta is cold when you eat it, brainiac.

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2021 2:17 PM

Not when you pour heated sauce over it, R47.

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2021 3:36 PM

R44 - IDGAF what it says. If it's made with rice flour it's a noodle, not pasta.

R45 - Using tongs or a spider presumes you know that the pasta goes either into a bowl or a pan for finishing with the sauce and then served. Someone should have explained to you. You are correct about going from the water directly on to a plate. Watery. Italians don't go directly to the plate.

R46 - I'm glad you stopped rinsing. Another dumb thing Americans were taught to do. You only do that for pasta salad. Don't put oil in the water if you do.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2021 5:08 PM

R49 Fuck off. Rice spaghetti is pasta. Get your cunt out of your mouth, dummy.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2021 7:42 PM

Get over yourself, R50. Saying it doesn't make it so.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2021 11:25 PM

Pasta?! Why a bunch of fat whores!

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 1:25 AM

R51 Pretty clear your mama shat you out into a dank dark alley somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 11:04 AM

R53 Fortunately, my Italian-born mother taught me the difference between pasta and rice noodles, irrespective of it's packaging.

Pencil dick.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 9:14 PM

Use your lid and pour the excess water out, whilst trying not to spill out the pasta and getting a steam burn in the process.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 9:17 PM

Nothing about draining method but definitive on adding salt to boiling pasta, not rinsing under cold water, etc. I do same as r55.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 6, 2022 1:22 PM

I serve my pasta Fondue style. Guests are given a two-pronged fork and they just fish the slippery little pasta worms out of the boiling water, then dip in Marinara sauce and eat

No draining, no fuss, no muss

by Anonymousreply 57February 6, 2022 2:03 PM

What’s the point of adding pasta water?

Genuine question - apparently I’m trash.

by Anonymousreply 58February 6, 2022 2:10 PM

The starch in the pasta can thicken a sauce R58.

by Anonymousreply 59February 6, 2022 8:36 PM

Thank you R59.

by Anonymousreply 60February 6, 2022 10:50 PM

Not happy when a restaurant pasta arrives on the plate swimming in water. The only liquid should be tomato sauce.

by Anonymousreply 61February 6, 2022 11:05 PM

Can I have your stuff OP?

by Anonymousreply 62February 6, 2022 11:08 PM

You can stand to without the carbs OP.

by Anonymousreply 63February 6, 2022 11:11 PM

After Ginny from Billing's arrest, trial, mistrial, re-trial, and eventual conviction, Muriel looked to replace her. How many interviews she conducted (some lasting a few hours with oddish delivery men coming and going) I do not remember.

Finally, she emerged from her office, victorius and happy. She'd finally found the right fit! An older gentleman, well spoken, very polite. On his first day he made pasta in the canteen. Muriel walked in just as he was draining the pasta.

What you've heard is true: she whipped out her machete and charged at him. He saw her out of the corner of his eye, and managed to escape, missing only the bottom of his R ear. Muriel wiped the bloody blade in the drained pasta, and left it there in the canteen. One of her corgis ate the partially severed ear, and threw it up later.

Since then we've had temps filling the Billing position. And btw, the fellow's name who drained the pasta? It was Vince; I swear to God.

OP, I hope this helps to answer your question.

by Anonymousreply 64February 6, 2022 11:27 PM

R18, so is "scolapasta" Italian for "collander?"

by Anonymousreply 65February 6, 2022 11:40 PM

Drain pasta? No. Just east it directly out of the cooking water.

by Anonymousreply 66February 6, 2022 11:54 PM

*eat it directly out of the cooking water

by Anonymousreply 67February 6, 2022 11:55 PM

Suck all the liquid out of each strand of that pasta with your mouth, tongue and throat until you transform long stalks back into their original rock-hard state, OP!

by Anonymousreply 68February 7, 2022 12:44 AM

R65 - “so is "scolapasta" Italian for "collander?"

Yes, R65. I use mine to drain the pasta, AND empty it back into the pot.

As others mentioned above, I will not stand over a pot like a fool, tonging pasta out of the water. Fun fact: The pasta continues to cook in the water even after you shut the heat off. So, go ahead all of you insufferable “never-strain” queens, and enjoy your pasta that’s becoming more limp and mushy by the second. Fucking ridiculous. Strain your pasta. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 69February 7, 2022 1:46 AM

Again with this?

by Anonymousreply 70February 7, 2022 1:48 AM

Jesus, R69, how long does it take you to get pasta out of the pot using tongs? Are you woefully uncoordinated or cooking in a cauldron or something? There's nothing wrong with draining your pasta, but using tongs or a spider is hardly the deep sea fishing expedition you're making it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 71February 7, 2022 2:01 AM

Don’t Jesus me, Mary Jane @R71. Do your research, I know I did.

Using a colander is by far the most widely used method to rid water from pasta. Not tongs, not spiders; a colander. Sorry, but like most, I am not keen on eating overcooked pasta because it’s been sitting in water any longer than it should, AND having excess water diluting whichever sauce I choose. So, take your insults and misinformation, and go fuck yourself. Preferably, with your wet tong.

r69

by Anonymousreply 72February 7, 2022 3:08 AM

I stand with the Italians on most of those issues, R56. But they'll take garlic bread away from the pasta meal over my dead body.

by Anonymousreply 73February 7, 2022 6:32 AM

I boil pasta to a hair short of al dente (level depending on whether I continue cooking or topping w/sauce, mixed into salads, etc.), because noticed noodles will continue softening even after removing from boiling water, especially penne, rigatoni & other tubular types

by Anonymousreply 74February 7, 2022 11:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!