Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tortilla Flat film (1942)

This recorded on my DVR and I just watched it the other day. Did anyone else see this on TCM as part of John Mellencamp’s guest programmer picks? It’s really an odd choice. The source material has an inherent racism problem and seeing Spencer Tracy in brown face is just too much.

John Garfield is more believable in his role, but Hedy Lamarr also did a terrible job playing a Mexican American woman. She was beautiful though.

Frank Morgan is adorable here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 4:05 AM

Mellancamp said he's got dyslexia so he never read the book.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2021 12:44 AM

That's what Ben calls me!

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2021 1:46 AM

Haven't seen it, haven't read it. But I fell in love with "The Grapes Of Wrath" & Steinbeck in college. I'll look into it. And how could I not like Frank Morgan, who played the title role in my favorite 1939 film!

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2021 1:54 AM

I saw this and just remember thinking it was terrible. The accents were really bad and kind of condescending.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2021 2:09 AM

I liked the book and this wasn't a prett good adaptation, but it's too bad they didn't really go up the coast and film it in the actual location. MGMs pecial effects dept did a nice job recreating it, though.

by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2021 2:26 AM

*was a pretty good adaptation.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2021 2:26 AM

By the way, the film explains that the residents of Tortilla Flat are Mestizos, people of mixed race. I have never understood why if a character is half white and half another race, the character must be played by a person of the non-white race. Like Jennifer Jones in Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing. The character is Eurasian, half Chinese, half White European. But if a white person plays the part, it's wrong. If a Chinese person plays the part, that's acceptable. The character is literally *mixed* race, though.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2021 4:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!