Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pretty Woman

Will there ever be a more beloved hooker with a heart of gold than Julia Roberts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 30, 2021 3:43 PM

Joan tried to play roles like that but she was never convincing.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 6:07 AM

Melania perhaps??

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 6:07 AM

She was a beloved prostitution whore.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 6:11 AM

Bitches, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 6:11 AM

Not until the inevitable remake with a trans cunt of color.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 6:14 AM

Any day of the week in the lobby of the Regent Beverly Wilshire, you will hear European tourists speaking their native language and then say "Julia Roberts"

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 6:16 AM

No hooker with a heart of gold will ever be able to magically transform a croissant into a pancake like our gal Jules

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 6:20 AM

I geef my poosay for da American peepuls.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 7:18 AM

We know r8. It’s got its own echo.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 9:10 AM

"People put you down enough you start to believe it"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 3:37 PM

Who would have guessed people would still be saying "Cop a squat" thirty-one years later?

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 4:34 PM

iconic

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 4:53 PM

Veronica Lake in "Sullivan's Travels".

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 4:55 PM

The film would never be made today, and in this one instance I rather agree with the Wokesters.

There is nothing pretty about street hookers. They are anything but the fresh-faced, white-toothed, glossy-haired charmers of this moronic film.

It's a testament to how uncontrollable the id is, that thousands of middleclass women who should know better saw this film 10 times because deep in their souls they still want to be Cinderella more than CEO of their company.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 5:45 PM

I have to agree with you somewhat R14. Yes middle-class women by the MILLIONS not thousands as you stated dove into this fantasy. I've noticed recently most Republican women now look at themselves as women before they could work. They love being lazy baby machines again. Like before women wanted to work. Roberts herself said this movie would never get made today. Yet she says its the movie every single woman mentions to her on the streets.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2021 3:37 AM

Patricia Arquette auditioned for "Pretty Woman" when it was called "3000" and was a dark gritty movie with a violent ending

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2021 3:46 AM

Team Belle Watling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2021 3:46 AM

CHV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2021 3:50 AM

This is one of those movies that would have never worked with any other actors. Somehow Gere's awkward actor ticks made it perfect for hooker with a heart of gold. That very much were in line with Roberts's first experiences as an actress. She was very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2021 3:51 AM

"No, we're from Orlando"

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2021 3:56 AM

I live in L.A. and when friends from out of state would visit back in the day and want to see the Pretty Woman locations, I'd drive them along Hollywood Boulevard and show them what real hookers looked like. This movie and its star are both reprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2021 4:00 AM

Julia Roberts has hundreds of millions of dollars because of this movie. No explanation. I do like her because she's an iconic figure but she is most interesting as an actress as she's gotten older.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2021 4:00 AM

R21 everyone that visits LA expects a Pretty Woman tour. It's trashy

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2021 4:02 AM

I expect a "Mommie Dearest" tour.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Maybe people shouldn't be so fucking snobby and think they're above everything. Maybe just be nice to people that wanna see something they've seen one TV when the visit. Yes its nerdy. But fuck its part of tourism asshole.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Yes, it's a very necessary part of tourism to see what street hookers in LA are really like.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2021 4:39 AM

Irma La Douce

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2021 4:44 AM

Naturally, the hooker was played by a Scorpio, the perv sign. If you want a successful film role, choose a script and story that are congruent with your horoscope.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2021 4:47 AM

The world just fell in love with her . There's no explanation

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2021 4:57 AM

Snobby Saleswoman, Dey Young, starred in "Rock-n-Roll High School" with The Ramones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2021 5:00 AM

I like Julia Roberts but I think she's too larger than life to play some non star parts.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2021 5:04 AM

You have to give credit to Julia Roberts and Sarah Jessica Parker for having hugely successful careers playing sexually charged roles and contractually refusing to show their tits

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2021 5:09 AM

Why haven't they done a Pretty Woman 2? I want to see where a withered, aged, and weathered hooker ends up!!!!

Hurry up, before everyone drops dead!!!

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2021 5:10 AM

Roberts and Parker have also contractually refused to shit in buckets.

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2021 5:13 AM

DL is not the norm. Most Americans male and female adore Julia Roberts. Not sure why the gays hate her so much,

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2021 5:13 AM

No actor has ever gotten so far with so little as Julia Roberts. She's nothing more than a toothy smile. She's incapable of realistically portraying a character.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2021 5:15 AM

Most American straight men are not into Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2021 5:16 AM

That may be true but how do you explain the way the world fell in love with her. Theres something to bw said for it.. R37 bullshit. Most men in 1990 were in love with Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2021 5:18 AM

1990 was 30 years ago, Grandma.

Most men today are not into Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2021 5:21 AM

R11, I've never heard anyone say cop a squat. What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2021 5:21 AM

Because we know A Low Vera

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2021 5:22 AM

That is not her body on the movie poster. I remember when it came out it was a big deal. She is curvier than the movie poster pic.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2021 5:23 AM

R39 honey thats cause you are a gay.

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2021 5:24 AM

Julia Roberts would be considered hot by douchey straight guys in Mystic Pizza, My Best Friend's Wedding and Erin Brockovich where she wore a push-up bra in every scene

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2021 5:24 AM

She was amazing as a 21 year old actress with an openness that most actresses don't have. But she didn't adapt to aging, where her peers are still working, and she has disappeared. She's not that "naive" hooker anymore and she should tackle more serious roles and reinvent herself.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2021 5:24 AM

R43 and you are an understandably self-hating gay

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2021 5:25 AM

She was luminous looking as young star.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2021 5:27 AM

Julia Roberts has the same sex appeal as Meg Ryan

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2021 5:28 AM

Outside of DL I don't know anyone who hates Julia Roberts. He's a huge movie star to most people.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2021 5:30 AM

She*

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2021 5:30 AM

I was obsessed with being able to see this movie when I was 12 and knowing I wouldn't get to till I was 17. Now I see it as a ridiculous phony unrealisitic and cliche mess and anyway, Gere did it better and more realistically in American Gigolo.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2021 5:32 AM

Like Barbra Streisand and Courteney Cox, Julia probably needs at least a week advance notice for anal sex prep

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2021 5:32 AM

R49 Tom Cruise is a huge movie star to most people too

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2021 5:35 AM

I fucking hate this bitch and her general existence.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2021 5:35 AM

It's a really bad movie. It's not funny, the characters are unappealing, the premise is shopworn, and it's badly shot.

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2021 5:36 AM

Julia Roberts deserved the Oscar nomination. If you don't get why its an important nomination you don't get it. This woman changed the importance of women in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2021 5:37 AM

Me!!

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2021 5:37 AM

R56, for playing a stereotypical hooker with a heart of gold, one of the oldest cliches in cinema history??

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2021 5:38 AM

R56

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2021 5:38 AM

r55, But in 1990, it was "ELECTRIC"!!! It was unlike anything that had been released in recent years. It was a new genre. And we (the public) were saddled with years of copycat RomComs throughout the 90s!

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2021 5:40 AM

R56 you don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2021 5:42 AM

No one questions why Richard Gere wasn't nominated for Best Actor because it wasn't a movie notable for exceptional acting

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2021 5:42 AM

She's a whore, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2021 5:44 AM

You are a true fucking if you don't get Julia's appeal. She universally adored by Americans even Trumpers.

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2021 5:44 AM

Trust me. After this success, she went bonkers overboard! She lost her mind! Think Justin Beiber, five years ago! She was doing all kinds of weird shit and regretting her success (and the attention that came with it BEFORE the invention of the internet!) She lost so much credibility and then she went away and came back............... and WON A FUCKIN' OSCAR!!! WTF????????????

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2021 5:45 AM

you sound cray

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2021 5:47 AM

The film even got a Bafta nod for best film.....if it was done today it would have gotten an oscar nod. A glorified trash rom com. I don't even hate Julia, but come on....

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2021 5:50 AM

r66 What is cray cray.. is the Academy bestowing an Oscar to a mediocre actress, who, to this day, has yet to EARN that Oscar with ANY "Oscar worthy" performance!

by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2021 5:52 AM

It's a movie from the creator of Laverne and Shirley about a hooker with a horsey grin. Hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2021 5:52 AM

Americans all love Pretty Woman. Deplorables especially

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2021 6:00 AM

R68 they rewarded an actress that made them billions of dollars

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2021 6:02 AM

Total frau catnip. 🐱

by Anonymousreply 72October 9, 2021 6:05 AM

Julia Roberts is a very big star but she can also be a very good actress. She is a good actress Most other actors consider her a fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 73October 9, 2021 6:05 AM

r71 That's what the Golden Globes are for!

by Anonymousreply 74October 9, 2021 6:09 AM

Even if you like this movie, do people really consider Roberts anything more than adequate? She's nowhere near where Streep, Lange, and Close were at her age.

by Anonymousreply 75October 9, 2021 6:09 AM

Everyone accepted Julia as a huge starr. No one thought that of More.

by Anonymousreply 76October 9, 2021 6:11 AM

R75 honey everyone considers Roberts a bigger start than those idiots. Only Meryl is her equal

by Anonymousreply 77October 9, 2021 6:12 AM

Roberts might have been bigger at the box office than Streep, Lange and Close, but they could act her off the screen.

by Anonymousreply 78October 9, 2021 6:14 AM

Julia is a decent actress...can be good but not great and certainly not exceptional. It's no wonder with all the hooplah she has had from Hollywood, she only got one oscar...and only one undeserved nod, for this crap movie.

by Anonymousreply 79October 9, 2021 6:14 AM

Julia Roberts is the biggest movie star of the modern era. Only Meryl comes close. Thats why our Julia is not intimidated by that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 80October 9, 2021 6:16 AM

Mary Reilly, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 81October 9, 2021 6:17 AM

I'm a fan of both Julia and Meryl but yes Julia is the only real starve the modern era

by Anonymousreply 82October 9, 2021 6:18 AM

Julia Roberts is a fucking star. Everyone knows it

by Anonymousreply 83October 9, 2021 6:18 AM

She was soo good as Tinkerbell.

by Anonymousreply 84October 9, 2021 6:20 AM

I think Bonnie Franklin could have brought a certain frenzied sexual energy to the role that is sadly lacking in Roberts' performance.

by Anonymousreply 85October 9, 2021 6:20 AM

I think its impossible to hate Julia Roberts. The fraus absolutely love her.

by Anonymousreply 86October 9, 2021 6:21 AM

I like Julia. She's fucking full of herself. But she is movie star de jour

by Anonymousreply 87October 9, 2021 6:23 AM

I will say, Julia at least was an improvement on the person they originally had in mind to play Vivien......Molly Ringwald ****shudders*****

by Anonymousreply 88October 9, 2021 6:23 AM

I wish Julia had studied acting.

by Anonymousreply 89October 9, 2021 6:24 AM

Bitches please. Most Americans adore Julia Roberts. She's a hard core liberal but Americans adore Julia Roberts

by Anonymousreply 90October 9, 2021 6:26 AM

Julia Roberts is the McDonalds of American film actors. Meryl Streep is Spago, Jessica Lange is The French Laundry, Glenn Close is Sardi's.

by Anonymousreply 91October 9, 2021 6:30 AM

Yet who is the biggest star of them all?

by Anonymousreply 92October 9, 2021 6:32 AM

Ive only thought Meryl and Julia to have any real relevance . Meryl is is a supreme talent. And Julia is the biggest female movie star of all time.

by Anonymousreply 93October 9, 2021 6:34 AM

R93, Scarlett Johannson is the biggest female movie star of all time, at least in terms of box office.

by Anonymousreply 94October 9, 2021 6:38 AM

Its cute you think its the same. Scarlett is not in the same league as a Julia roberts

by Anonymousreply 95October 9, 2021 6:41 AM

Pretty Woman had the following:

•Handsome male lead

•Stunning female lead

•Solid support acts (Hector Elizondo was perfection)

•Awesome soundtrack

•Gorgeous wardrobe which Julia wore beautifully

•Beautiful backdrop of LA

It all came together to create an unforgettable, if cheesy and totally improbable film.

by Anonymousreply 96October 9, 2021 6:44 AM

Julia was luminous in Pretty Woman.. No explanation . She was just luminous.

by Anonymousreply 97October 9, 2021 6:48 AM

Ridiculous film. I haven't been able to watch all the way through.

by Anonymousreply 98October 9, 2021 6:49 AM

I actually don't think she looked prettier in Steel Magnolias. I thought she looked luminous in Steel Magnolias.

by Anonymousreply 99October 9, 2021 6:50 AM

I like Julia Roberts. And she's a good actor sometimes

by Anonymousreply 100October 9, 2021 6:53 AM

It just does not hold up, unlike other better aged rom coms like "When Harry met Sally" that was released just a few months before. 90% of the hype was because it involved a hooker.

by Anonymousreply 101October 9, 2021 6:55 AM

It's romantic to a certain demographic. A fantasy. Very dumb.

by Anonymousreply 102October 9, 2021 6:58 AM

It really shouldn't because its insulting . But you can deny a once in a lifetime charming performance,,

by Anonymousreply 103October 9, 2021 6:58 AM

A charmless bitch!

by Anonymousreply 104October 9, 2021 7:09 AM

I just watched Mystic Pizza (the role that got her Steel Magnolias) and, whilst I'm gayer than fuck, she was sex on a stick.

I also just watched Beaches again (directed by Garry Marshall), and as much as I wanted to love it, it's actually kind of bland (I prefer Midler in Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Ruthless People, and definitely First Wives Club). Marshall in general wasn't a great film director, but he knew talent when he saw it. He helped take Roberts' career to the next level (as well as AnnE Hathaway's).

Pretty Woman was successful because of Roberts and her alone. Her feigned "innocence" even though she was a prostitute worked for the movie and subject matter. Roberts is a bitch who can make you care about the characters she's playing. That's talent.

As much of a cunt she is in real life, that woman was a born star. And she has some of the best hair colouring in Hollywood (or New Mexico or wherevrer she gets her hair did). Not a huge fan, but mad respect ...

(also, she was great in August: Osage County; I just wish that film had a better director).

by Anonymousreply 105October 9, 2021 7:09 AM

I would have maybe liked Julia more if it hadn't been for all those 90's movies that consisted 90% of her (quoting Holden Caufield here) "laughing like a hyena at stuff that wasn't even funny", just to show her, erm, charm.

by Anonymousreply 106October 9, 2021 7:14 AM

[quote]Scarlett is not in the same league as a Julia roberts

R95, I'm not going to argue that Johansson is in the same league as Roberts, But, to be fair, you can't compare today's stars to yesterday's. The media landscape has changed. There are not the same opportunities for stars to shine today as there were in the late 1980s/1990s. Today, popular movies are all about the franchises. We've already had a thread recently about how fresh, fictional characters can't grow and thrive in the zeitgeist like pre-established properties can. There simply isn't room for them right now. No one cares. Younger generations are playing video games and are on social media. If they go to the movies, they are seeing something Marvel-related.

If we were living in an age where movies were more like they were back when Roberts was coming up, I have no doubt that Jennifer Lawrence would do a today version of Pretty Woman and knock it out of the park.

But, ScarJo? Not so much. She's a wooden actress.

So, I guess what I'm saying is ... I AGREE WITH YOU (lmao).

by Anonymousreply 107October 9, 2021 7:17 AM

[quote]Julia Roberts is the biggest movie star of the modern era

We have had this conversation before, but, as Julia shined the brightest in the 1990s (by a long mile), Sandra Bullock had a long-game that eventually put her on the same level. I'm not going to go through the whole rigamarole again, but, Bullock in the 1990s was a budget Julia Roberts to start, but she eventually had two huge films in her mid-to-late-40s that rode completely on her shoulders alone, which ended up putting her in the same league (with a couple of base-hits for good measure). You can argue, but you can't change the facts. They've both had impressive careers. They're both stars. In the end, does Roberts come out ahead? Sure, maybe. But, it's much, much closer than you realise. And, if you want to argue about it, you only need to look at Roberts' track record post-Erin Brockovich.

by Anonymousreply 108October 9, 2021 7:24 AM

R75, R78, how many sock-puppets do you have on here Alex?

by Anonymousreply 109October 9, 2021 7:32 AM

R96 that’s exactly right. It shouldn’t have worked but for whatever reason it did. And the casting was perfect (I agree that while Marshall may not have been the best director, he had an eye for talent and perfectly marrying stars to roles).

Geez gets a lot of shit as an actor but he’s also a generous one. When he sees that his female co-star (Julia, Diane Lane) is really the “star” of the movie he graciously takes a back seat and let’s them shine. Not many actors would do that.

by Anonymousreply 110October 9, 2021 8:50 AM

I was living in Atlanta where Julia Roberts is from when this movie hit and suddenly everyone knew someone who knew Julia Roberts. It was the classic "local girl makes it big"

by Anonymousreply 111October 9, 2021 9:21 AM

But she was a... PROSTITUTION WHORE!!!

Everyone seems to overlook this!!! She was a streetwalking, twenty dollar blow job, HOOKER. She wasn't even a high class escort!!! She was a streetwalking hooker!!!

Baffling how the movie even got made. And that it is considered family entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 112October 9, 2021 11:55 AM

There are two lines from Julia Roberts movies that people will say and not explain to see if anyone gets the reference.

"Cop a squat" from Pretty Woman and "I've got moves you've never seen" from My Best Friend's Wedding.

by Anonymousreply 113October 9, 2021 8:17 PM

R113, I'm pleased to say I wouldn't recognize either of those lines if I heard someone say them. They're exactly "Fasten your seatbelts" caliber.

by Anonymousreply 114October 9, 2021 8:38 PM

They're NOT exactly "Fasten your seatbelts" caliber. Perhaps they might have been in the hands of a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 115October 9, 2021 8:38 PM

R122 funny you say that. I've actually seeing it played on ABC Family. I shit you not. I think I took a screen shot of it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 116October 9, 2021 10:14 PM

R112*

by Anonymousreply 117October 9, 2021 10:14 PM

It seems equally 80s and 90s

by Anonymousreply 118October 23, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]I expect a "Mommie Dearest" tour.

I would actually take friends from out of town to see Joan's old house in Brentwood.

by Anonymousreply 119October 23, 2021 5:42 AM

Meghan Markle

by Anonymousreply 120October 23, 2021 8:14 AM

She's annoying but to this day almost everyone agrees that she is similar to Madonna by all accounts. When they enter a room the word gets around the place really quick like "So and so so are here". That does speak to a different kind of star.

by Anonymousreply 121November 25, 2021 5:01 AM

Wasn’t Irma La Douce a hooker?

by Anonymousreply 122November 25, 2021 5:04 AM

It's easily the most offensive film ever made.

by Anonymousreply 123November 25, 2021 5:15 AM

R123 only if you choose to be offended by it...

by Anonymousreply 124November 25, 2021 5:26 AM

It says something fraus see it as a fantasy. And will never let you touch their Julia Roberts like you can't touch their DJT

by Anonymousreply 125November 25, 2021 5:29 AM

Hookers on the street don't look like Julia Roberts all glammed up with her huge hair and mouth. They look like Divine Brown. This movie is probably responsible for making young girls think all their dreams would come true by becoming prostitutes. Julia Roberts has a lot to answer for, besides her terrible acting.

by Anonymousreply 126November 25, 2021 5:34 AM

Trumper Aisle 126. And crazy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 127November 25, 2021 5:43 AM

R126 really you know women who actually became hookers because of this movie?

by Anonymousreply 128November 25, 2021 5:51 AM

R23....Like the Sex And The City tour in NYC...

by Anonymousreply 129November 25, 2021 6:03 AM

Sleeping With the Enemy is another breakout role for her. Why is it I root for the elderly closet queen hubby. Annoying performer. Mediocre roles.Miss Roberts is very, very lucky.

by Anonymousreply 130November 25, 2021 6:13 AM

R91 Who is the Applebees?

by Anonymousreply 131November 25, 2021 6:14 AM

Im sure it will be a burden to bear for her but everyone in the world that recognizes her they will always bring up Pretty Woman. That can't change no matter what happen In March of 1990 she very quickly became the most famous person in the world. Not just actor, actress, singer nothing. For at least 6 months this was the most famous person on the face of the earth Because one movie.

by Anonymousreply 132November 25, 2021 6:19 AM

Why'd she cut all her hair off and dye it blonde?

I don't remember her looking like that in any movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133November 25, 2021 7:51 AM

She seemed to think she had a chance for Steel Magnolias. (she won the Globe)

There's a flash of disappointment unlike with Pretty Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134November 25, 2021 7:55 AM

She definitely had a chance to win. And if Pretty Woman had opened 2 weeks earlier she would have won running away. Because she became a global sensation.

by Anonymousreply 135November 25, 2021 7:59 AM

Roberts and Tom Hanks, both fairly one-note talents with savvy management, charmed the public into making them movie stars.

In any other profession they'd both be unremarkable AF.

by Anonymousreply 136November 25, 2021 11:41 AM

Holly Golightly was a hooker. At least in the book. The racist movie was a complete misrepresentation, including the stupid romance and dreadful ending. She was modeled after Trumsn‘s mother.

by Anonymousreply 137November 25, 2021 12:03 PM

I love Gary Marshall, but I hated this movie. Tried to watch it again recently and still hate it!

by Anonymousreply 138November 25, 2021 12:14 PM

Madonna was offered Vivian first when the film was gonna be called 3000, Garry Marshall wrote about it in his autobiography, they had a meeting and Madonna decided to pass on it

Madonna turned down or was considered for a lot of big movie roles in the 80s and 90s and her choices were generally bad

by Anonymousreply 139November 25, 2021 12:16 PM

Madonna's choices for pin-up pictures are great now.

by Anonymousreply 140November 25, 2021 12:44 PM

[quote]Hookers on the street don't look like Julia Roberts all glammed up with her huge hair and mouth. They look like Divine Brown. This movie is probably responsible for making young girls think all their dreams would come true by becoming prostitutes. Julia Roberts has a lot to answer for, besides her terrible acting.

Why should it be Julia's or the filmmaker's responsibility? First of all, the movie was rated R; it was targeted toward an adult audience. These underage girls shouldn't have been watching in the first place. Secondly, I don't agree with every film having to be a moral lesson for everyone. This movie is a fantasy, plain and simple. It amuses me when people go on about it not being a realistic depiction of prostitution. But guess what? It was never supposed to be. Perhaps the original $3,000 screenplay, yes, but once Gary Marshall and Disney came along, it became an urban fairy tale. For adults.

by Anonymousreply 141November 25, 2021 1:54 PM

I remember PRETTY WOMAN opened the Friday before the 1990 Oscars. Julia was nominated for Best Supporting Actress for STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I agree with the above poster that if PW had been released several weeks prior, she probably would have won. I mean, she was still relatively unknown that Friday, but by weekend's end PW was #1 at the box office and JR was suddenly a huge star.. Everyone knew her name/image. For the next two months, PW was either #1 or #2 at the box office. It alternated.

by Anonymousreply 142November 25, 2021 2:02 PM

Sadly, this is American culture in a nutshell: objectifying and condescending to women, materialistic, shallow. Saw it once due to the hype. Found it depressing.

by Anonymousreply 143November 25, 2021 2:12 PM

R69, those are THE reasons to see it.

by Anonymousreply 144November 25, 2021 2:37 PM

Other people's fantasies are so fucking weird. Waste of time. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 145November 25, 2021 3:07 PM

How did Roberts end up the only nominee for Steel Magnolias. Sally didn't get a Best Actress (and despite complaints on DL I think she is really good in it.)

Olympia and MacLaine should have got Roberts spot.

She's ok at the beginning but when she gets serious she looks kind of amateurish.

She must have had good PR

by Anonymousreply 146November 25, 2021 7:40 PM

R146 I’m guessing the others didn’t want to be campaigned supporting. And the movie did NOT get good reviews, so really, it was lucky to be nominated for anything.

by Anonymousreply 147November 25, 2021 8:09 PM

Nancy Allen was way better. And probably not a raging cunt like Julia.

by Anonymousreply 148November 25, 2021 8:13 PM

no r147 only Sally was campaigned lead the rest supporting.

And I think the movie's reviews were more mixed than bad.

by Anonymousreply 149November 25, 2021 8:17 PM

R128 I'm sure there are lots of girls/women all over the world who have become prostitutes because of this movie. It definitely legitimizes it, is not uncommon and the movie is played repeatedly every holiday weekend and watched by the whole family.

by Anonymousreply 150November 25, 2021 8:17 PM

Roberts is horrible.

If I had the money, I would fund something with Roberts and Paltrow in it just to watch them both dissolve into entitled, preening outrage first.

by Anonymousreply 151November 25, 2021 8:19 PM

How could anyone hear "Mah cuh-luhs are blush-n-bashful..." and think Oscar-worthy?

by Anonymousreply 152November 25, 2021 8:21 PM

Melissa Benoist? She puts many a pro to shame.

by Anonymousreply 153November 25, 2021 8:24 PM

R149 other than Sally no one else had a chance of being nominated. Olympia had just won, Shirley never got nominated again after her win, and no one was ever nominating Dolly (though I probably liked her the best, at least she was natural) and no comment on Daryl Hannah.

No one was particularly good, tbh, but at least Julia was a fresh new star - that and she dies.

by Anonymousreply 154November 25, 2021 8:26 PM

I had a friend when I was a boy and she saw "Pretty Women" and decided to be a prostitute when she grew up but when her uncle heard about it he said, "Why wait," and took her to New Jersey where he and some friends had a barge where they had girls work and he put her up in a cardboard box with astro turf on the floor and she turned tricks there until the infections set in plus she was malnourished and on dope, so he shipped her to Miami where she was given some shots that fixed her and then she was sold to some Russians who smuggled her to the UAE where she was marketed as the Yankee Communist Virgin because she seemed so young because she was, and they would do terrible things to her until a young prince found her and saved her and took her to his palatial spread at the top of a great skyscraper in Dubai and she was treated like a princess and finally when she was better and healed and happy he had her walked to the edge of the balcony outside and pushed off because the prince was waiting at the bottom because he liked to see such things close up and hear the bodies as they hit the beautifully and expensively tiled forecourt and broke into a fine mist of red and other colors,

and then she died.

by Anonymousreply 155November 25, 2021 8:29 PM

r155 that's actually the plot of the new Jennifer Lawrence movie that's filming now. Riz Ahmed plays the prince and Billy Porter plays the genie in the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 156November 25, 2021 8:33 PM

Daryl Hannah's performance in Steel Magnolias was straight out of a Montessori elementary school play

by Anonymousreply 157November 25, 2021 8:34 PM

Daryl Hannah always seemed to be mildly retarded in every single role she played.

by Anonymousreply 158November 25, 2021 8:47 PM

This is true r158. And even more so IRL.

by Anonymousreply 159November 25, 2021 8:49 PM

Daryl Hannah is an Aspie. She came out and stated she was on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 160November 25, 2021 8:51 PM

R147 Steel Magnolias got mixed to good reviews and was a box office hit.

by Anonymousreply 161November 25, 2021 8:55 PM

It was a hit, yes. Good reviews, absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 162November 25, 2021 8:58 PM

I don't care for this movie, Richard Gere's squinty eyes and the awful attempted rape scene. It's sexist trash prettied up for the masses. R143 has it exactly right. The bizarre scene where Roberts tells him she hasn't finished school and he tells her mockingly that he went "all the way". She then proceeds to try and see what he's reading while smiling sweetly, as if semi-illiteracy is admirable. A great ending would be if she'd told him to phuck off and signed up for night school.

by Anonymousreply 163November 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Meh , cant stand the.....BITCH...!!!

by Anonymousreply 164November 25, 2021 9:05 PM

"I'm cute 'cuz I'm stupid (giggle)"

by Anonymousreply 165November 25, 2021 9:06 PM

[quote]A great ending would be if she'd told him to phuck off and signed up for night school.

Yeah, give up a filthy rich boyfriend to attend night school.

by Anonymousreply 166November 25, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]A great ending would be if she'd told him to phuck off and signed up for night school.

That's only a great ending to radical feminists.

by Anonymousreply 167November 25, 2021 9:11 PM

R163 she did say she was going to go back to college in the end. That being said, she was an ignorant hick. He treated her like it. Meh.

by Anonymousreply 168November 25, 2021 9:11 PM

I remember R168 but it seemed once Sir Knight appeared those plans presumably flew out the window. Who cares if he was filthy rich, the whole relationship was demeaning.

by Anonymousreply 169November 25, 2021 9:13 PM

I just felt no real emotional development between Vivien and Edward and the few beats they tried to play up were cliche af. Ooh look stuck up executive with a stick up his ass suddenly grows a conscience and is no longer afraid of heights because of a hooker with a hear of gold who teaches him how to walk on grass barefoot. My god the love story was atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 170November 25, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote] Who cares if he was filthy rich, the whole relationship was demeaning.

MOST PEOPLE care about a man who's filthy rich. Ride that train to the station, honey!

by Anonymousreply 171November 25, 2021 9:19 PM

Lots of feminists (Gloria Steinem, Naomi Wolf) married rich af men and justify it by writting a book every 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 172November 25, 2021 9:28 PM

LOL R171.

by Anonymousreply 173November 25, 2021 9:49 PM

Gloria Steinem married Christian Bale's father. How weird was that? She's been widowed almost twenty years now. I wonder if she keeps in touch with Christian?

by Anonymousreply 174November 26, 2021 1:04 AM

She makes it clear he is her third customer- that is what makes it palatable to American audiences. She isn't THAT turned out. She is just a pretty wayward hick saved by a super rich silver Fox: it's the American dream for so many.

by Anonymousreply 175November 26, 2021 1:47 AM

Who was more believable as a hooker: Julia Roberts or Barbra Streisand?

by Anonymousreply 176November 26, 2021 1:53 AM

It's equally 80s and 90s with Laura San Giacomo's acid wash jeans and clunky mobile phones

by Anonymousreply 177November 26, 2021 3:39 AM

Barbra Streisand would be the worst prostitute ever.

No oral/vaginal/anal sex and she would constantly be finding her light

by Anonymousreply 178November 26, 2021 3:43 AM

It must have been love, but it's over now...

by Anonymousreply 179November 26, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]Barbra Streisand would be the worst prostitute ever.

She played a high-priced hooker in NUTS. Obviously, men were paying large sums to fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 180November 26, 2021 3:49 AM

I now realize why I've never seen this movie: that Roxette video clocking at 4:17 summarizes the entire plot.

by Anonymousreply 181November 26, 2021 3:50 AM

And the Owl and the Pussycat,singularly obnoxious and shrill,r178

by Anonymousreply 182November 26, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote].Not just actor, actress, singer nothing. For at least 6 months this was the most famous person on the face of the earth Because one movie.

If you didn't live through Roberts' breakout, you won't understand how Hollywood, the public, and the media lost their fucking minds over her. Everybody understood PW was a hack job, but they loved it because of HER. They loved the chemistry she had with Richard Gere, they loved the fairy tale, but without her it wouldn't have been anything. In those early days, her look was fresh and unique and she was totally winsome and charming - even cynical Letterman was bowled over by her. Within a couple of years she had changed drastically into a much colder, more guarded figure, and her personal behavior became more at odds with her image. But for a while there she was America's sweetheart in a way no one had been for a very long time--and more importantly, she became a box office force in a way only male stars had been in that era. She made all sorts of mediocre films hits with her star power.

During the post-Kiefer period where she dropped out of her career for a couple of years, Hollywood was desperate to find a female star to replace her, and threw any young actress they could find at the screen hoping for the same kind of lightning to strike twice. Sandra Bullock can thank Roberts for her career, because she had been plugging along in forgettable role after forgettable role until she got While You Were Sleeping, which was a blatant attempt at 'winsome' Julia-making.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183November 26, 2021 10:10 AM

In 1999 Julia Roberts topped Quigley's list of annual top movie stars, the first time an actress had done so since Julie Andrews in 1968. That is 31 years!

by Anonymousreply 184November 26, 2021 10:15 AM

You'd think that since Julia grew up in Georgia she wouldn't have the worst Southern accent in "Steel Magnolias" as if she really was raised in Mystic, Connecticut

by Anonymousreply 185November 26, 2021 10:42 PM

I'm so glad that the phrase America's Sweetheart has finally gone out of style. It used to turn my stomach every time I heard it.

by Anonymousreply 186November 26, 2021 11:07 PM

R181, see, the thing about Julia is... She's Got the Look.

by Anonymousreply 187November 26, 2021 11:20 PM

The real "hooker with a heart of gold" was "Irma La Douce." Her nickname translates to "Irma the sweet." As played by Shirley MacLaine, she was considerate and obliging and sympathetic, THE hooker with a heart of gold, which is how she got her nickname. She was much more appealing than Robert's Vivian, with her braying laugh and horse teeth and uncouth behavior.

by Anonymousreply 188November 26, 2021 11:22 PM

R188 i can’t imagine Shirley ever playing anyone “sweet.” I may just have to see that out of pure curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 189November 27, 2021 12:54 AM

R183 wins the thread. That is exactly how it happened. It was the craziest ascent into superstardom that it was creepy that it was playing a hooker and not one person cared. I shit you not. I've seen Pretty Woman playing on ABC Family. I used to have a screenshot of it once.

by Anonymousreply 190November 27, 2021 1:00 AM

Receiving an Oscar nomination for Pretty Woman was an actual award from the 5000 or so old members of the Academy at the time. The movie is ridiculous but as the late great Gene Siskel once said "this woman lit up the screen in the most remarkable. We really saw the birth of a major star here. I thought she would get the nomination. And she absolutely does deserve it."

by Anonymousreply 191November 27, 2021 1:40 AM

Roger Ebert liked Steel Magnolias.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192November 27, 2021 3:12 AM

wait a minute....when you google Ebert and Steel Magnolias you get the first line of: This is a great film, especially when you sit back and take it in at face value. It is a simple story and is treated as such. It isn't supposed ...

but then when you open the page you get what I posted above. Confusing.

by Anonymousreply 193November 27, 2021 3:14 AM

I was on set luv, and one day we caught her down by the dumpster with her fingers up her bum. Who does that ? I was well shocked mate.

by Anonymousreply 194November 27, 2021 3:36 AM

R191 bullshit, Academy awards aren't given out for charisma, which, imo, seemed forced anyway.

by Anonymousreply 195November 27, 2021 12:30 PM

I recall Streep being very critical of the film and its portrayal of prostitution.

by Anonymousreply 196November 29, 2021 6:30 AM

Emily Lloyd was originally approached to play Vivian, but she turned it down because she wanted the part of Charlotte Flax in [italic]Mermaids.[/italic] She ended up getting personally rejected by Cher, who told her she wouldn't be plausible as her daughter looks-wise.

by Anonymousreply 197November 29, 2021 7:10 AM

[quote] She ended up getting personally rejected by Cher, who told her she wouldn't be plausible as her daughter looks-wise.

Yeah, whereas she and Winona Ryder looked like twins (snort).

by Anonymousreply 198November 30, 2021 12:30 AM

^^In Cher's mind they probably did.

by Anonymousreply 199November 30, 2021 1:13 AM

If Barbra Streisand ever did a movie where she played the mother of adult daughters (she never has) she would probably cast Jennifer Lawrence and Margot Robbie.

by Anonymousreply 200November 30, 2021 1:14 AM

Barbra considers Megan Fox, Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid to be her main competitors and contemporaries

by Anonymousreply 201November 30, 2021 1:34 AM

R201 you know what's worse than that? Lindz Lohan sees herself as a contemporary of Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, and Scarlett Johansson.

by Anonymousreply 202November 30, 2021 1:37 AM

I can remember at the press conference they used to have to announce the nominees there were audible gasps (one of the reason they stopped doing them with an audience full of press and pr hacks) when Roberts name was announced as a nominee. (And then even bigger gasps when Ghost was nominated as Best Picture.)

by Anonymousreply 203November 30, 2021 2:45 AM

[quote](one of the reason they stopped doing them with an audience full of press and pr hacks)

R203 I haven't watched an AA nominations announcement in several years, but they had press et al. in the audience into the 2010s. In 2014, there were giggles when Meryl Streep's name was announced for AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY.

by Anonymousreply 204November 30, 2021 5:30 AM

Streep managed to eke out a nomination and knock Emma Thompson out of nod for Saving Mr. Banks. She hadn't been nominated in 18 years and was quite good and deserving.

2013 was a competitive year for Best Actress. Three BP nominees in that category, and Cate Blanchett in Woody Allen playing an over-the-top Blanche Dubois, and Meryl doing Violet Weston. Meryl was fun, but Gena Rowlands would have been more interesting. She wouldn't put butts in seats though.

Roberts was technically a lead as well. I quite liked her as Barbara Weston.

Blanchett made for a good winner. I liked her in that, as well as Notes on a Scandal. She would go on to do Carol as well.

by Anonymousreply 205November 30, 2021 12:51 PM

Cate's performance was the only good thing about Woody's mean spirited joyless sexless version of Streetcar. Would have much prefer she just do the actual filmed play with Edgerton like at the BAM in Brooklyn. Heuly if they're remakibg WSS why not ASND?

by Anonymousreply 206November 30, 2021 3:41 PM

Meant to say if they just remade West Side Stpry, why not Streetcar?

by Anonymousreply 207November 30, 2021 3:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!