Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Contingent job offer question

Hopefully you wise bitches will have some feedback/insight on my situation.

I interviewed with a consulting firm a few weeks ago. They’re not an outside recruiter. They’re a consulting firm that has a contract with a client and a presence at the client’s worksite. On Monday I was told that I was by far their top choice, and they would submit me to the client, which in their opinion would be a mere formality. I was told they should hear on Tuesday from the client. Nothing. Then again on Wednesday. Nothing. Then today. Nothing. In the meantime, they sent me a contingent offer yesterday which needed to be signed and returned by EOD tomorrow.

This is a job I want and the consulting company has a great reputation. When I called the recruiter today to see if he had an update, he was irritable and defensive. This is the first time I’ve called since Monday, so it’s not like I’m harassing him.

Have you ever been on either end of this situation? Why would the client be taking this long? Am I being given the run around by the recruiter? Have you ever had an offer rescinded? I just feel like there’s something going on in the background that I’m not being made aware of.

Am I over thinking this, or would you be concerned in my situation??

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 5:17 PM

Sign the contingent offer, but don't resign until they give you a start date.

Signing the offer doesn't bind you to anything. Companies have been taking forever to get these deals done, one company took weeks for me.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 2:42 AM

Thanks R1. They gave me a start date of 10/25, so they’re putting me in a bind.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 2:43 AM

They clearly want to keep you on hold until they hear back from the client. If the client gives the green light, all is good, but if they say no then they can rescind their offer to you. Meanwhile you are sitting around waiting instead of looking for other work. Honestly that's a really shitty move on the part of the consulting firm. Is there a contingency clause in the contract the goes both ways? So if you get another offer before the client gives their feedback, you have the right to back out? I doubt it but just asking. It depends on how badly you want this job, and whether or not you can afford to wait around for an answer, possibly at the expense of another job opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 2:53 AM

There can be many reasons why the client is taking so long. Of course the job is a huge deal to you, but the client is at the center of the client's own universe, and it may have a bunch of other priorities right now. I agree with R1 about not resigning until the offer is not contingent on anything. And start dates, like salaries, are usually negotiable. If it would be difficult for you to start so soon, and the angrily demand that you do so, with no reason except "BECAUSE!" then I would reconsider whether they are a great place to work for.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 2:55 AM

It wouldn’t hurt to keep looking.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 2:56 AM

OP, before you sign anything, CHECK WITH AN EMPLOYMENT LAWYER. The recruiter can fuck off, he's making a ton of money out of placing you. What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 2:59 AM

One added element that I’m worried may be a factor. It’s possible that one of the client managers that is making the decision is someone who peripherally knows me. He worked as a consultant for a few months when I first started at a previous employer. He hated my boss and was disgruntled at my group in general. In the 5-6 months he sat right next to me, he didn’t say more than ten words.

Now he’s a manager with the client. He knows nothing about my abilities or what I learned after he left, and what an asset I became to the company. I have no idea if he’s involved in the decision, but I don’t like the idea that it’s a possibility. It’s not like I can ask the recruiter or hiring manager.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 3:05 AM

No R6. The recruiter is in house with the consulting company.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 3:06 AM

I work in consulting and OP’s post was so confusing I just finally understood it after his final response. There are myriad potential issues. It could be the client manager he knows, it could be 100 hundred other things.

If you are happy with the offer and the comp, sign it and you can always change the start date later.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 3:14 AM

Well, I got the answer to my question today.

I finally spoke with the client yesterday. The recruiter then called me today to let me know the interview appeared to go well, but they won’t know until the client finishes interviewing a couple of other candidates. I said “What!!??. You told me I was the ONLY candidate you were submitting to the client, and because of your relationship with them it would be a mere formality.” The recruiter said I told you that you were the only candidate WE were submitting. There’s at least one candidate submitted by another consulting firm and an in-house candidate.

They lied to me and strung me along, getting me to sign a contingent offer, just in case the client decides to offer the position to the consulting company. They wanted to pin me down so that I wouldn’t take a job elsewhere.

The conversation with the recruiter ended with him asking if anything has changed in my job search. I said this was the job I wanted, but I was not holding out any hope that it was going to come through. I will actively start speaking to other companies regarding open positions.

Would you even consider working for a company after being lied to and treated like this?

by Anonymousreply 10October 14, 2021 12:10 AM

NO.

by Anonymousreply 11October 14, 2021 12:19 AM

Is there any chance this is just a case of a lousy recruiter? Do you have a sense that the person who would be your boss would be open for a conversation with you, so you can get a better sense of the place?

I would do these 2 things for sure: 1) Check out the Glassdoor reviews. There will always be a few disgruntled people, but if you see a definite trend of people loathing the place, then watch out. 2) Listen to your gut.

by Anonymousreply 12October 14, 2021 1:31 AM

R12, the prospective manager has been hands off except for our interviews. The company has everything go through the recruiter.

The company gets great reviews from employees, which is one of the reasons I wanted to work for them. My gut says they’re a good company, but what they’re doing to me is terrible business practice.

by Anonymousreply 13October 14, 2021 2:15 AM

R13, it is terrible, but when you say "they" is there anyone else involved in this lousiness besides the recruiter? Any large company is going to have its bad apples. Perhaps most people there are much better than the recruiter.

by Anonymousreply 14October 14, 2021 4:09 AM

I see all kinds of red flags. This might be how the company regularly conducts business.

by Anonymousreply 15October 14, 2021 4:20 AM

you most likely will not get the other job, since they are not getting back to you about it. They are stalling. Companies are saying they are hiring, but they really aren't. It's totally Bullshit.

Read the employment/offer contract. Look for resigning and non compete clauses too. Also Your BENEFITS. Because you are on the fence about this one, you need to preplan a smooth exit to your dream job when it comes. Need more Infor for this.

Why do they want you to start ASAP?

by Anonymousreply 16October 14, 2021 4:36 AM

I haven’t been in the job market for a long time so I can’t give any informed advice, but man I’d be tempted to say “Fuck off.”

by Anonymousreply 17October 14, 2021 4:45 AM

companies are lying about hiring. Having a lot of open positions helps them with wall street/investors. This started before covid, but they are still doing it. If a company was desperate to hire people, they would be hiring people (and their would be funded training programs too).

by Anonymousreply 18October 14, 2021 4:49 AM

This hiring this so weird. There are lots of tales of people being encouraged to apply only to hear zilch.

Shops and quick service just seem to make their own arbitrary hours and just keep cutting services and expecting customers to just deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 14, 2021 6:37 AM

what happened OP?

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 7:08 AM

The truth is you won’t have to deal with the recruiter once/if the position is offered, and in my experience they are all salesmen that will say anything to applicants and clients to get the commission.

I would continue looking for other positions but you don’t need to withdraw yet. Your contract most likely just states that only they can represent you for this specific role and the hours/rate.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!