Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why the New Netflix Hit Series ‘Squid Game’ is So Popular Around the World

[QUOTE]The Korean show follows Seong Gi-Hun as he and hundreds of other desperate contestants compete in violent children’s games for $38 million. Only one person can win the prize, and those who lose will pay with their lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249June 12, 2022 4:59 PM

I binged the entire nine episodes in one day - not gonna lie, it fucked me up a little bit.

The actor who plays the cop is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2021 11:33 PM

Yeah the cop was a cutie, R1. My fav hot actor is the “Salesman,” Gong Yoo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2021 11:36 PM

Is it like Battle Royale?

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2021 11:39 PM

The logline says it all. Like The Hunger Games on steroids. Why watch?

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2021 11:45 PM

New Squids On The Block.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2021 11:47 PM

[QUOTE] Why watch?

Because it’s an incredible, highly emotional and violently fun show.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2021 11:52 PM

In my high school, we used to call the oriental kids "squids" behind their back.

So this is kind of funny. lol

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 12:31 AM

Why don’t you try watching it, R7.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 12:54 AM

To R1, The cop was hot(love Korean men). I'm betting he's not Dead. The Slapper guy was Korean sexy(my dream was about the slapper dick slappin' my face-making me Love him long time). Also, the other player at the end lost was hot and sexy to me I love Asian men(Koreans). I always loved "Red light-Green light". It was an awesome, bloody, shocking Korean game show!! Everyone I know watched it since it came out on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 2:31 AM

The cop is definitely dead, R9.

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 3:00 AM

Didn't it copy most of the plot, cinematography, and art direction from Japanese movie and series? Cheap Korean knock-off.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 4:26 AM

It's well directed and produced. I'm glad they didn't take the cliche predictable road with certain characters being miraculously and unrealistically spared.

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 5:28 AM

What movie and/or series would that be, R11?

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 1:26 PM

Sounds like to me that someone is making a great deal out of a nothing concept.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 1:32 PM

[quote] What movie and/or series would that be, [R11]?

Not r11, but I assume they’re talking about Battle Royale. There’s a giant difference though, in that the contestants in Squid Game chose to be there. It’s a whole other satiric animal because of that second episode.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 1:36 PM

From what I understand, they also did not CGI anything at all. All those impressives sets are built from scratch including that huge robot doll.

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 1:37 PM

Any gay characters or gay sex scenes?

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2021 1:40 PM

Not the kind you’d want.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2021 1:41 PM

[QUOTE]I assume they’re talking about Battle Royale.

Battle Royale and Squid Game are nothing alike.

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2021 1:43 PM

The Salesman, the cop, the Faceman , and the main guy’s friend (#218) were all hot. Ali was adorable.

The VIP’s were so bad I thought they must’ve been a joke.

Good show- I hope there’s no second season

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2021 1:50 PM

Why is this not just a ripoff of Alice in Borderland?

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 1:54 PM

[QUOTE] Good show- I hope there’s no second season

There is no . way . in . hell that there won’t be a second season.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]Why watch?

[quote]Because it’s an incredible, highly emotional and violently fun show.

I’m watching it because one of my best friends is, and it gives us extra to chat about. But what bugs me (especially apparent in E1) is the way Asian culture - or maybe it’s just only Korean culture - thinks it’s endearing to infantilize adults and their reactions in some goofy, cutesy way. They mostly do this with the lead actor. It grates on my nerves and is jarring.

I noticed this in “The Handmaiden,” too… which was interesting and beautifully produced (when the heroine wasn’t widening her eyes and squealing like a baby.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2021 3:13 PM

Not to mention the sets are cool and other worldly.

Something about the show just clicks in all the right places. Great combination of humor, horror and mystery. Easy to follow plot while still morally ambiguous. Hot actors. What else do you want?

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2021 3:27 PM

Wi Ha Joon who plays the cop is hot as fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2021 3:40 PM

Hey R24..What you typed was the "perfect description" of Squid Games. Thanks Phillywhore

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2021 3:57 PM

[quote]R24 What else do you want?

A less-flat dubbing job?

It’s alienating. Not as dead as some dubbing, but still, not great.

by Anonymousreply 27October 8, 2021 4:28 PM

Is this not a reality TV show?

by Anonymousreply 28October 8, 2021 4:29 PM

OMG IT’S REAL ! !

So exploitive ! !

by Anonymousreply 29October 8, 2021 5:14 PM

R23, I didn’t even notice this in The Handmaiden, I think I’ve learned to filter it out. It’s ubiquitous in Japanese anime, too.

by Anonymousreply 30October 8, 2021 6:18 PM

The woman dubbing the actress with the long curly hair (who is wonderful, btw) is doing an amazing job! Absolutely hilarious! I don’t usually enjoy dubbed movies, but this is my favorite way to watch this series.

by Anonymousreply 31October 8, 2021 6:34 PM

Honestly, who gives a fuck about this oriental shit?

WE. DON'T. CARE.

by Anonymousreply 32October 8, 2021 6:41 PM

R27 Then watch it with subtitles.

by Anonymousreply 33October 8, 2021 6:48 PM

R26 What the hell are you taking about?

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2021 6:50 PM

[QUOTE] Wi Ha Joon who plays the cop is hot as fuck.

Holy shit, he’s even hotter than I thought. If I made this thing, he definitely would’ve had his shirt off at least once.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2021 7:34 PM

It pains me that the cop spent most of the series with a mask on. That hideous troll was right when he said he was too beautiful to wear a mask.

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2021 7:56 PM

R36 That hideous troll was such a DLer

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2021 8:00 PM

[QUOTE] Then watch it with subtitles.

It can’t be stressed enough that this MUST be watched with SUBTITLES. Omg, do not subject yourself to that English dubbing.

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2021 10:42 PM

Amen, r38. Whoever did the dubbing should be shot. Utterly shrill and talentless.

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2021 10:58 PM

The good thing is that it’s interesting and fast enough that people shouldn’t have trouble focusing on subtitles for nine episodes.

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2021 1:14 AM

The scenery-chewing is too much for me.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2021 1:16 AM

What percentage of Halloween costumes will be Squid Game related this year? I'm guessing at least 50%.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2021 1:34 AM

I want that black mask the cop wore at the end (that he was too pretty for)

by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2021 1:45 AM

I took notes through the whole thing. Gotta up my game a bit.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2021 2:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2021 11:52 PM

The Game's recruiter was played by Gong Yoo. He's 6' and gorgeous. He is so ungodly handsome, he should be James Bond.

He has the lead role in Last Train To Busan, if you need another fix.

by Anonymousreply 46October 14, 2021 1:22 AM

It's "Train to Busan"... and it's a contagion/zombie movie. Very timely if you need something scary to watch.

by Anonymousreply 47October 14, 2021 1:24 AM

Wi Ha Joon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 14, 2021 2:10 AM

R1, you’re in luck cause the guy playing the cop has a jerk of video. Can search his name on XVideo to find it.

by Anonymousreply 49October 14, 2021 2:15 AM

Jerkoff

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2021 2:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2021 3:00 AM

R48 that’s hot

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2021 3:24 AM

[QUOTE] you’re in luck cause the guy playing the cop has a jerk of video. Can search his name on XVideo to find it.

👀 👀 👀

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 9:00 PM

Let’s see the video

by Anonymousreply 54October 15, 2021 2:24 AM

There is no JO video by the cop in Squid Games.

by Anonymousreply 55October 16, 2021 3:11 AM

Then fuck that guy.

by Anonymousreply 56October 16, 2021 11:28 AM

It was literally a he second thing that came up when I said to google him you dumb bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 16, 2021 2:51 PM

But maybe it’s the wrong guy. Oops lol

by Anonymousreply 58October 16, 2021 2:52 PM

Oops it was much hotter seo ha joon. The real life brother of the guy playing the cop on the show. Guess both boys act. My bad. Explains why the articles had their names cross crossed. I’m the dumb bitch here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2021 2:55 PM

Are we sure that’s him? They tend to…I mean many, or rather some of them can bear a striking resemblance to one another.

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 2:59 PM

R57 That's not even his name.

by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2021 6:27 PM

I don't know whether it was just the voice actress who dubbed her, but I could SWEAR the curly-haired character ("I'm the best at everything, except what I can't do") has been in some American movie or TV show I've seen. Something about her just kept setting off, "you've seen her in another show/movie". IMDB didn't show anything obvious, though, so I'm guessing it might have just been the voice actress who sounded familiar.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2021 7:07 PM

The fact that this show came from Korea and was dubbed into English made it feel like it was real somehow. If this show had been made in America with known actors, it wouldn't have had half the impact it did.

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2021 7:19 PM

The cop was the hottest.

The recruiter was hot too and also a good actor, cause I'd have slapped his face rather than taken the money; he was so annoyingly smug.

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2021 7:40 PM

Gong Yoo is hot to death

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2021 7:45 PM

Given the show's international success, I GUARANTEE season 2 will be more "international" in both actors and style.

For example, they'll find a way to broaden the game's recruitment to countries beyond Korea... and they'll do it by ticking as many boxes as they can for each character. For example...

* A black American.

* A Russian who lives in Miami. Filling the stereotypes, audiences in Russia can identify... but since he lives in Miami, Russia's government won't have any problems with it. Ticks the 'Russian', 'American', 'White', and 'Florida Man' boxes.

* A Maori New Zealander who grew up in Britain, went to college in South Africa, and now lives in Australia.

* A "German". They'll have a German name and accent, but the show will be deliberately ambiguous about whether they're German, Austrian, Swiss, or even Dutch.

* A French-Canadian named Francois. Yeah, it's a stereotype, but it lets him get away with speaking perfect English with a slight French accent while still ticking the "French" box.

* A Scot who lives in America. Think 'Fitz' from 'Agents of Shield'. Ticks the 'American' and 'British' boxes. So common (at least, in American shows), it's practically meme-worthy by this point.

* An Indian (from India).

* A Swede/Norwegian/Dane who lives in Britain (ticks 'Scandinavia', 'Europe', and (specific-country) boxes)

* A Brazilian going to college in Portugal (ticks 'Latin America', 'Portugal', and 'Europe' boxes)

* A Spaniard living in Argentina or Colombia (ticks 'Spain', 'Europe', and 'Latin America' boxes)

Linguistically, my guess is that dialogue will be bilingual, shot in Korean and English. Disembodied announcements will be made in English-Korean-English for most international versions, Korean-English-Korean for the Korean TV version, and $Dubbed-English-$Dubbed (for totally dubbed versions, where $Dubbed={Spanish, German, French, Japanese}).

Character dialogue will be voiced in Korean and English, depending upon the actor, with subtitles for one or both languages.

To localize dialogue, they'll follow different strategies, depending on the country:

* For Korea, they'll release two variants: Korean + English, with Korean subtitles of English dialogue... and one with English dubbed into Korean

* For English-dominant countries (US, UK, Anglophone-Canada, etc), they'll release two variants: Korean + English, with English subtitles of Korean dialogue... and one with Korean dubbed into English.

*For most other markets (German, French, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, etc), they'll release two variants: one with Korean dubbed into the local language + English (with subtitles in English or the local language), and one with everything dubbed into the local language.

The assumption for other markets is that people who are comfortable with English will prefer to leave the English as English, and only dub the REALLY foreign language (Korean) into their own, while others will want everything dubbed into own language. That said, I'd expect that even if ALL dialogue is re-dubbed into a language like Russian, they'd still preserve the local-foreign-local cadence of disembodied announcements... probably, keeping English as the middle language since it's foreign, but less-foreign than Korean.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2021 8:36 PM

Haven’t watched it but it sounds like a real life version of a computer game — and since so many millennials and zees “live” through gaming, the attraction is obvious.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2021 9:00 PM

Why don’t you just start watching it, R67?

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2021 9:06 PM

[quote]Any gay characters or gay sex scenes?

There's at least one gay character, a stereotypical fat sugar daddy whose entire personality is pervy come-ons to the hot cop. He's also the only confirmed white character, although you could argue the VIPs — the rich gamblers at the top of the social totem pole — are all white gay men (they don't take off their masks). I highly doubt the creators thought about it that much though... the portrayal of women is also particularly superficial.

All in all, the show is not good. I think the reason it's so popular is because Netflix pays out social media influencers to market for them, which gives the illusion of organic word-of-mouth. I'm surprised so many people can overlook the terrible dialogue, shallow character development, and countless plot holes. The production design is cool (although totally unnecessary to the story) and the games are fun to watch (although they could have been more creative), but there's something to laugh at every episode. It was also off-putting how the show automatically starts dubbed in English. Everything about Netflix, from the marketing campaigns to the tedious cliffhangers, has become so obvious and tacky.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2021 9:12 PM

R69 is just a bitter hater. I’ve never heard anyone with such an opinion about this series. The response has been overwhelmingly positive, from viewers and critics alike.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 9:17 PM

r70 works for Netflix

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2021 9:19 PM

R71 works for Disney Plus.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2021 9:24 PM

I think what made it popular was that the storyline wasn't dictated by social/political cliches. The thin, small women used their brains and emotions to outwit the stronger, aggressive men - they weren't all Kung Fu sassy and badass. And the final battle was between - gasp! - two middle-aged, non-minority (for the country) men! Also, an actual senior citizen was in a pivotal role! Unbelievable! And the middle-aged main man was actually kind to the younger women without trying to molest her and any sex was conscentual! Shocking!

I thought it fell part a bit in the last episode but it made me realize that Americans have become really lazy in how they write their characters.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2021 9:26 PM

R71 is unemployed and lives in a stranger's basement.

by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 9:31 PM

I don’t watch shit that I have zero interest in just because it’s popular.

by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2021 9:34 PM

Then go back to your Judy Garland and Katherine Hepburn threads, R75. Who the fuck invited you here?

by Anonymousreply 76October 16, 2021 9:36 PM

If this had been a US production, how would it have differed from this one?

by Anonymousreply 77October 16, 2021 9:50 PM

It would probably differ in that it would be garbage, R77.

by Anonymousreply 78October 16, 2021 9:52 PM

I don’t need an invitation to express myself here r76

by Anonymousreply 79October 16, 2021 9:55 PM

It reminded me a lot of Eyes Wide Shut, which I love.

by Anonymousreply 80October 16, 2021 9:57 PM

Gape wide shut

by Anonymousreply 81October 16, 2021 10:04 PM

Why would anyone watch this dubbed? Are you a child?

by Anonymousreply 82October 16, 2021 10:32 PM

R69 is completely full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 83October 16, 2021 10:33 PM

Just watched it. Puerile trash for middlebrow tastes. But I won't judge anyone who likes it.

by Anonymousreply 84October 16, 2021 10:56 PM

The show was fine until the introduction of the VIPs, who were annoying and poorly acted. After that it was no longer watchable.

by Anonymousreply 85October 16, 2021 11:00 PM

I couldn't stop watching it. Binge-watched all 9 episodes. Love love love Wi Ha-Jun. So sexy!!

by Anonymousreply 86October 16, 2021 11:02 PM

r69, trans employee at Neflix.

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote]R76 Then go back to your Judy Garland and Katherine Hepburn threads

You know DAMN WELL it’s K[bold]a[/bold]tharine.

You use that ‘e’ just to wound!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2021 2:30 AM

Can next season just be all about the hot cop naked?

by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote]The show was fine until the introduction of the VIPs, who were annoying and poorly acted.

I agree that the introduction of the VIPs hurt the mood of the show, but I still thought the complete series was amazing. The VIP actors were terrible and too campy.

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2021 3:30 AM

Gong Yoo has something weird going on with his right eyelid. It wasn't like that before. Maybe it's the aging process, but he potentially could turn into a Bezos-style Two-Face a few more years down the road.

by Anonymousreply 91October 17, 2021 4:38 AM

I don’t care. He’s smokin

by Anonymousreply 92October 17, 2021 1:08 PM

I just finished the candy episode. The twunk guard who got unmasked is very pretty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2021 5:14 AM

I noticed him too R93 but wasn’t sure how old he was. He looks so young. It would be inappropriate to say he’s got the sweetest dick sucking lips if he’s underage.

by Anonymousreply 94October 18, 2021 9:19 PM

He's 22 or 23 according to different sources.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 18, 2021 9:28 PM

[quote]Given the show's international success, I GUARANTEE season 2 will be more "international" in both actors and style.

Ooh, I'm available! and I can do Korean!

by Anonymousreply 96October 18, 2021 9:30 PM

[QUOTE] He's 22 or 23 according to different sources.

They need to bring him over here. He looks better than all those bony, pale, vampiric twinks who comprise the new generation of Hollywood actors.

by Anonymousreply 97October 18, 2021 9:39 PM

I appreciate that they cast different looking actors for the main roles to make it easier for the audience to distinguish them.

by Anonymousreply 98October 18, 2021 11:36 PM

Re the VIPs: I wish the show would have had the pull (and the budget) to get A list actors who have distinct/recognizable voices to play those roles. Imagine if the "if you can please me in 5 minutes" VIP had been played by Anthony Hopkins or someone (or at least dubbed).

I fear that the Hemsworth brothers would be involved in the Hollywood remake, which would be a huge turnoff for me. I hate those dumb-looking roid twats.

by Anonymousreply 99October 19, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote] I appreciate that they cast different looking actors for the main roles to make it easier for the audience to distinguish them.

That and the fact that they literally numbered them for easy identification.

by Anonymousreply 100October 19, 2021 12:24 AM

The old man reminded me a lot of Reverend Kane from Poltergeist II.

by Anonymousreply 101October 19, 2021 12:30 AM

Gong Yoo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 19, 2021 3:25 AM

Gong Yoo is the main character in "Train To Busan", a S Korean Zombie movie that is pretty fucking awesome. He starts out as a Dick, but finds his Humanity on the train.

by Anonymousreply 103October 19, 2021 3:55 AM

Gong Yoo's best drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 19, 2021 4:02 AM

[QUOTE] Gong Yoo is the main character in "Train To Busan", a S Korean Zombie movie that is pretty fucking awesome. He starts out as a Dick, but finds his Humanity on the train.

I could watch Gong Yoo in anything.

by Anonymousreply 105October 19, 2021 4:10 PM

Gong Yoo also starred in "Coffee Prince," a Korean comedy-drama series about a cafe owner whose twinky employee turns out to be a girl in disguise after he falls in love with "him." I guess I made that sound like a spoiler, but you know from the beginning that the main character is a girl in disguise. The interesting part is that the girl really does pass as a boy. It's light and stupid but a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 106October 19, 2021 4:21 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 19, 2021 7:22 PM

Watched by an astounding 142 million households around the world in four weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108October 19, 2021 8:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 19, 2021 9:17 PM

Some morons are letting their kids watch it. Jeeze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 19, 2021 9:20 PM

What morons are letting their kids watch it!?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 19, 2021 9:26 PM

I subscribed to Netflix for the first time just to watch this show. It wasn’t worth it, but I see other things on the menu I might like.

by Anonymousreply 112October 19, 2021 10:37 PM

Is Mr. Gong the slapper guy? Did he start this thread? It seems to have become a fan thread for him and his (obscure) movies.

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2021 12:24 AM

Not everything is a conspiracy, ma'am.

by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2021 12:28 AM

R113 Gong and the young cop appear to be the overwhelming favorites on here.

Did no one notice the gangster’s cute little twink, 303?

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2021 1:33 AM

Gong is the envelope guy, the Salesman.

by Anonymousreply 116October 20, 2021 4:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 20, 2021 8:00 PM

I'm sorry, but the eldergay rice queen VIP cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2021 8:30 PM

It is really wonderful. I too have a far-fetched wish that no season 2 would be produced.

In the first episodes I felt some actors were way overacting, or maybe this is the way Koreans talk.

In episode 6 when the girl did what she did with her marble and explained why she did it, I had tears in my eyes. I know…Mary!

None of the actors is remotely hot in my book, but that’s me.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2021 11:02 PM

I think I'm alone in this sentiment, but I don't think I can watch this. It sounds too dismal. Anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2021 11:05 PM

The marbles scene with the two girls was the best of the show, IMO. Great acting from both, very poignant.

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2021 11:21 PM

NONE of my friends will watch this because it sounds too grim. They also won’t watch Succession because the characters are all so mean and unlikeable. Why are all my friends such fucking snowflakes?

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2021 11:22 PM

R120, my friend says he would never watch it because it's too depressing for him. He passed through difficult personal times in the last few years, so I understand. He doesn't read or watch any sad stuff.

by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2021 11:24 PM

There are moments when it becomes very grim. The way they kill the contestants can be downright ghastly. I’m sure a number of viewers found themselves crying. But it’s worth it, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2021 11:49 PM

The marbles episode is probably the best, and the bridge episode the most entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 125October 22, 2021 12:00 AM

R121, the other girl who had a limited role (the non-North Korean defector) was an example of someone taking a small role and really pushing it to the maximum.

by Anonymousreply 126October 22, 2021 12:01 AM

No love for the crazy, scorned woman, Han Mi-nyeo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 22, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]If this had been a US production, how would it have differed from this one?

Do you even have to ask? I'd be crammed with SJW indoctrination and POC propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 128October 22, 2021 12:07 AM

Why were there no trans characters or acting-persons (is that the proper term, or would actor suffice, or is that too gender specific)?

by Anonymousreply 129October 22, 2021 12:16 AM

I’m fairly certain the giant robot was trans.

by Anonymousreply 130October 22, 2021 12:17 AM

R130 you're probably right. It certainly had all the charm and patience of every trans person I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 131October 22, 2021 12:20 AM

At first the giant robot seemed amusing, but then it brought nothing but misery and people were desperate to get away from it.

by Anonymousreply 132October 22, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] What percentage of Halloween costumes will be Squid Game related this year? I'm guessing at least 50%.

At least 50%? How lame.

by Anonymousreply 133October 22, 2021 12:33 AM

And now they're desperate to get close to it, R132.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 22, 2021 12:42 AM

R128, they had a bit of that, making Ali a saintly victim. Everyone on YouTube is gushing over Ali: his death was most tragic, he's the best character and really deserved the money, etc.

by Anonymousreply 135October 22, 2021 1:04 AM

Love it, first time I have been in tune with some cultural phenom since "Survivor" began long ago. I hate comic book movies but love this.

Feels very "They Shoot Horses, Don't They" to me. Get invested in down on their luck players and root for who will survive. And then that ending. (And, yes, those sets).

I love the way the actors flinch with every shot and aren't glib about what is on the line. Not cutesy at all to me. And the Lou Diamond Phillips lead is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 136October 22, 2021 1:24 AM

R119 evidently managed to miss all the scenes with the young cop.

by Anonymousreply 137October 22, 2021 1:14 PM

Let me tell you a thing or two about ghastly, R124

by Anonymousreply 138October 22, 2021 1:15 PM

R129, Western Twitter was outraged that there were no nonbinary or trans characters. Also, they were upset than the only character with a tattoo ("body art") is a criminal and a villain - ignoring the fact that in Korea the vast majority of those with tattoos are in fact criminals, as tattooing is illegal. (Yes, I'm aware there are underground tattoo artists and younger people are getting them b/c of Instagram: they're still very much younger people w/o prospects who aren't from good families and aren't pursuing higher education).

by Anonymousreply 139October 22, 2021 1:52 PM

Ali was the Marcellas of Squid Game.

by Anonymousreply 140October 22, 2021 3:20 PM

R140, I'm uncultured. Who's Marcellas? I googled to no effect.

by Anonymousreply 141October 22, 2021 3:23 PM

Ohhhh, R140 - MarcellUs.

by Anonymousreply 142October 22, 2021 3:27 PM

r141, Marcellas Reynolds, Big Brother season 3.

by Anonymousreply 143October 22, 2021 3:30 PM

R143, you're kidding, surely. Who the hell would know who that is? That's hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 144October 22, 2021 3:32 PM

r144, I assume there’s a lot you don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 145October 22, 2021 3:35 PM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 146October 22, 2021 3:36 PM

R145, that's embarrassing: to know the name of some random reality show contestant? Dear god. It's like a Bravo watcher said that.

by Anonymousreply 147October 22, 2021 3:38 PM

r147, if you take pride in ignorance, you be you.

by Anonymousreply 148October 22, 2021 4:06 PM

R148, it's not ignorance to not know what someone in a particular Appalachian hovel eats for a snack: Twinkies? Ding dongs? With or without Mountain Dew?

This is no different.

by Anonymousreply 149October 22, 2021 4:09 PM

All the leads were excellent actors, so, yeah, how did they get it so wrong with the casting of those VIPs? Perhaps they cast from a limited pool? Did they limit it to foreign national actors who already lived in Korea? It was like some community theatre actors wandered onto the set toward the end of the season.

And, yes, 100% yes to the recognition of the hotness of many of the male leads! Including the stealth hotness of Lee Jung-jae (#456)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 22, 2021 4:13 PM

r149, no one is faulting you for you being ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 151October 22, 2021 4:18 PM

The glass bridge game would have been the most terrifying to me. Was that supposed to represent hopscotch or some other game that I'm not aware of?

by Anonymousreply 152October 22, 2021 4:51 PM

r152, yes, just being that high up and having to jump from one pane to another with the space in between would have been terrifying enough. I suppose the players may have become hardened by then.

by Anonymousreply 153October 22, 2021 4:55 PM

Gotham awards: Squid Game has been nominated in both eligible categories, Breakthrough Series – Long Format (over 40 minutes) and Outstanding Performance in a New Series for star Lee Jung-jae. The show should also be eligible for this year's Golden Globs, Critics Choice and SAG awards. The cast had better win Best Ensemble in a Drama Series. If it loses to The Boring Crown, I will flip out.

by Anonymousreply 154October 22, 2021 4:56 PM

[quote]Golden Globs

And thus a new DL meme was born.

by Anonymousreply 155October 22, 2021 4:58 PM

Or do I mean trope?

by Anonymousreply 156October 22, 2021 4:59 PM

I watch because the only good Korean is a dead Korean.

by Anonymousreply 157October 22, 2021 4:59 PM

[quote] If it loses to The Boring Crown, I will flip out.

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 158October 22, 2021 5:12 PM

[quote] Perhaps they cast from a limited pool?

Very limited. Much more so than usual.

As was said upthread, during the pandemic, S. Korea had some of the strictest national quarantine measures around. They managed to keep COVID largely at the gates and they weren’t taking any chances. Anyone coming into the country had to stay in isolation in a government hotel for weeks, testing constantly. It was expensive and unpleasant. The goal was to keep foreigners out and it worked.

by Anonymousreply 159October 22, 2021 6:01 PM

R159 - ah, yeah, good point that Covid may have played a role in limiting their talent pool. Regardless, this was a big budget Netflix production, I'm not sure they can entirely blame the stinted performances of those "VIPs" on Covid.

by Anonymousreply 160October 22, 2021 6:21 PM

[QUOTE] And, yes, 100% yes to the recognition of the hotness of many of the male leads! Including the stealth hotness of Lee Jung-jae (#456)!

Sorry but he was not remotely hot in the show.

by Anonymousreply 161October 22, 2021 9:47 PM

Agree, #456 not hot.

by Anonymousreply 162October 22, 2021 9:51 PM

I hope the Squid Game cop plays a deadly game of strip mah jong in Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 163October 22, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote]The glass bridge game would have been the most terrifying to me. Was that supposed to represent hopscotch or some other game that I'm not aware of?

Did they HAVE to step on those tiles? Wasn't the point of the game to merely cross the bridge? Because they could just have rolled to the other end using the edges of the construction that held the glass squares.

by Anonymousreply 164October 23, 2021 2:25 AM

r164, players not following the rules will be eliminated.

by Anonymousreply 165October 23, 2021 8:08 AM

Yeah R164, those players would’ve been shot.

by Anonymousreply 166October 23, 2021 2:27 PM

To R162, Who knew #456 was "seriously Hot& Sexy". I didn't like #456 at all. I didn't look at him like he was "dinner and a movie". I hated his character(sleazebag weasel, gambler who loses all the time). His friend I looked at alot, I liked his sexy ass!! I forget his number, he was fine.

by Anonymousreply 167October 23, 2021 3:46 PM

456 was perfect for his role, however. We weren’t meant to look at him as a sex symbol.

by Anonymousreply 168October 23, 2021 4:06 PM

R161 / R162 - that's what I meant by stealth hotness. #456 was just an "everyman" on the show. Not ugly, but not particularly attractive. But he actually cleans up really nicely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 23, 2021 5:26 PM

When the US remake comes along, #456 will be played by everyman Zac Efron.

by Anonymousreply 170October 23, 2021 6:29 PM

It seems that billionaires are joining the monster league of vampires, zombies and axe-murderers.

by Anonymousreply 171October 24, 2021 1:45 PM

Why not r171? They've bought outer space, why not crime and monsters?

by Anonymousreply 172October 24, 2021 1:51 PM

R172 I didn’t say there was anything wrong with it, just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 173October 24, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]When the US remake comes along

Even though I fear it's inevitable, I hope this never happens.

by Anonymousreply 174October 24, 2021 2:03 PM

Come on. We watched much worse things as kids like Halloween and Freddy Kruger. We didn't go around murdering people.

by Anonymousreply 175October 24, 2021 2:13 PM

All things from South Korea are overrated, this, parasite, BTS!!

by Anonymousreply 176October 24, 2021 2:35 PM

R70 You need to tailor your insults to what the person actually said. ‘Bitter hater’ makes you sound about twelve.

by Anonymousreply 177October 24, 2021 2:45 PM

Train to Busan is the best zombie movie ever

by Anonymousreply 178October 24, 2021 2:50 PM

To R178... Train to Busan was a "awesome Zombie movie". Definitely in my top 5 Z movies. Watch the Netflix Zombie series "Kingdom". Also, I was rooting for #218 to win, because I was thinking "Yummy...he's HOT", until he killed Ali& 067(North korean defector). Then I didn't want him to win, but he was still sexy;wanted him to Hate fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 179October 24, 2021 3:59 PM

[quote] We watched much worse things as kids like Halloween and Freddy Kruger. We didn't go around murdering people.

Freddy could never be real and kids know that. Shooting into a crowd of people, like what happens on Squid Game, is very real in real life and very doable by kids and young adults.

by Anonymousreply 180October 24, 2021 4:30 PM

There was a lot of fucking going on amongst the pink soldiers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 24, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote]Shooting into a crowd of people, like what happens on Squid Game, is very real in real life and very doable by kids and young adults.

God, I love this show!

by Anonymousreply 182October 24, 2021 6:17 PM

Binge watched it this weekend. Excellent. Savage and alternately touching and emotionally brutal. My god, was that cop hot.

No way could this series be envisioned and made in America.

by Anonymousreply 183October 25, 2021 5:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184October 25, 2021 5:36 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 25, 2021 5:36 PM

Americans being arrogant and entitled? Unheard of!

by Anonymousreply 186October 25, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote]the Netflix Zombie series "Kingdom"

YES R179! This series is so fucking underrated! It's also the only blend of historical fiction and zombie apocalypse stories I've ever seen that actually works on both levels. The costumes are stunning, too. I keep recommending this to anyone asking for a followup to Squid Game even though they are very different genres.

by Anonymousreply 187October 25, 2021 5:51 PM

I feel like I’m going to be mugged because I haven’t watched this and have no desire to.

It’s much worse than with Bridgington or Bridgereringtonian or whatever the fuck that was called. This Squid shit is crushing pressure. 💯

by Anonymousreply 188October 25, 2021 8:20 PM

Thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread Bootsy

by Anonymousreply 189October 25, 2021 9:00 PM

R188 I think it's worth at least checking out the first ep if the FOMO really gets too much. It's an excellent pilot and you get the idea of what the stakes are and who the characters are in that one hour.

by Anonymousreply 190October 25, 2021 9:00 PM

[quote]Even though I fear it's inevitable, I hope this never happens.

[bold]Red Rover, Red Rover: A Netflix Original Series[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 191October 25, 2021 9:03 PM

Can we please get a crossover where the cast of Bridgerton is gunned down by a giant robot in a babydoll dress? C'mon Netflix, think of the ratings!

by Anonymousreply 192October 25, 2021 9:15 PM

From 2017.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193October 25, 2021 10:25 PM

LOL! Wow.

by Anonymousreply 194October 25, 2021 10:44 PM

As long as the cast of The Crown can also be gunned down... let's not exclude anybody.

by Anonymousreply 195October 26, 2021 12:25 AM

They VOLUNTEERED, which is a statement on just how shitty society can be for the have nots. I think this would have been hotter set in Berlin or Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 196October 27, 2021 7:47 AM

The violence and ruthlessness combined with kids' games was just fun and gratuitous. Battle Royale, also an East Asian creation, follows the same sort of formula.

by Anonymousreply 197October 27, 2021 12:25 PM

I couldn’t finish Battle Royale. Something about Squid Game was just much more interesting to me.

by Anonymousreply 198October 27, 2021 1:45 PM

R198 was it the hot cop?

by Anonymousreply 199October 28, 2021 3:02 AM

This cannot be done in the US. No one wants to watch a bunch of fat, hairy white unknown white guys.

by Anonymousreply 200October 28, 2021 3:08 AM

I hated the red hair and the ending. I could get the whole PTSD thing if it were the Hunger Games, but this guy went in voluntarily twice, even knowing his life was at stake. I don't get the "why? why! why?!?!?" of it all. You are a gambler owing debts and living in the Seoul underbelly. Get a clue,

by Anonymousreply 201October 28, 2021 6:38 AM

R200 speaks the truth. I’m here for the hot Koreans.

by Anonymousreply 202October 28, 2021 11:53 AM

Americans watched 3 billion minutes of Squid Game last week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 28, 2021 6:49 PM

LOL - The VIPS came directly from DL central casting. This is EXACTLY how I would picture someone like Greg or some of the bouji wannabes to act and look physically. They must have had to cast whatever Americans were living in S. Korea out of convenience/Covid and it doesn't surprise me that the selection process would be from a bunch of fat old bitchy queens. Maybe they were on a layover from Thailand.

by Anonymousreply 204October 28, 2021 10:42 PM

Quick question because I clearly missed something, and it drives me to distraction when I can’t get numbers to add up.

At the beginning of the marbles game there are 39 players, so 19 teams, plus weakest link babe. However, when they get back to the gymnasium there are only 17 players left, not the 20 I would expect. Where did the other three go?

by Anonymousreply 205October 28, 2021 11:44 PM

r205 Not every marble game has to have a winner/loser. They'd kill you even if you break rules. So I guess, in some cases some were killed for not following rules.

by Anonymousreply 206October 29, 2021 12:05 AM

Sixteen came back from playing the game, meaning three teams were eliminated. Maybe they weren't finished by the end of thirty minutes or maybe they did something else that got them killed. The woman who didn't play was added back, making it seventeen.

by Anonymousreply 207October 29, 2021 12:10 AM

Right, one player on each team had to have all the opponent’s marbles by the end of the time period. If neither player had them, both players would be eliminated. That’s why 456 was so worried about the old man holding on to the last marble. He was afraid time would run out.

by Anonymousreply 208October 29, 2021 12:54 AM

The marbles was the best episode. I was crying.

by Anonymousreply 209October 29, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote] This is EXACTLY how I would picture someone like Greg or some of the bouji wannabes to act and look physically.

Oh my goodness, R204, all CAPS! you must be right!

It's spelled 'bougie' by the way.

I haven't watched this show and have no desire to, so I can't really comment. But I love that you're thinking of me. What does it mean to you that you think I'm bougie? Or a wannabe? I don't really think I'm a wannabe. I can't think of how my life could be nicer. I feel very blessed. Peace to you, R204.

by Anonymousreply 210October 29, 2021 3:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 29, 2021 4:29 PM

I don't want to watch this show, but can someone please describe the ways that the violence is so bad? I thought the people got shot? Is it worse than that?

by Anonymousreply 212October 31, 2021 11:16 AM

Why don’t you want to watch it, R212?

by Anonymousreply 213October 31, 2021 11:42 AM

[quote] "Not the kind you’d want."

Isn't that the fucking truth, R18! I binged it in a day, & enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 214October 31, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote] I don't want to watch this show, but can someone please describe the ways that the violence is so bad? I thought the people got shot? Is it worse than that?

It's not really that bad. Any blood is done in that anime, camp kind of way. If you can handle The Hunger Games, you can handle this.

by Anonymousreply 215October 31, 2021 3:16 PM

Okja

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216November 2, 2021 3:59 AM

TY, R179 & R187 for recommending Kingdom! Love it! And the best thing about these fun Netflix subtitled action/horror/thrillers? 1.25-1.5 speed all the way, bitches!!

by Anonymousreply 217November 2, 2021 10:11 AM

I know one of the VIP actors (I lived in Seoul for ten years) and they are actual properly trained actors, not just ESL teachers thrown in front of a camera. I haven't seen the VIP part of SG, but I'm surprised that they came across so badly. The guy I knew was a very talented and versatile actor.

by Anonymousreply 218November 2, 2021 11:08 AM

Is it not just bad looping on the VIPs?

by Anonymousreply 219November 2, 2021 8:23 PM

They came across fine to me, R218. They were supposed to be a little over the top.

by Anonymousreply 220November 2, 2021 9:11 PM

I cried more than once in the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 221November 2, 2021 9:24 PM

Episode 6 was my tear fest. When that young girl gave her marble away.

by Anonymousreply 222November 3, 2021 4:41 AM

[quote]R204 The VIPS came directly from DL central casting. This is EXACTLY how I would picture someone like Greg or some of the bouji wannabes to act and look physically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223November 4, 2021 2:27 AM

Season 2 on the way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 9, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote]Then go back to your Judy Garland and Katherine Hepburn threads, [R75]. Who the fuck invited you here?

Judy would have loved "Squid Game" because she would have quickly recognized it as a metaphor for her career at MGM, but also to her relationship with Sid Luft, with the prize money standing in for Lorna and Joey. There are also obvious places to insert songs.

Hepburn, on the other hand would have wanted Garson Kanin and Ruth Gordon to rewrite the scripts and allow her as always to be the smartest person in the room, which would have turned viewers off, especially Koreans who are more modest.

by Anonymousreply 225November 9, 2021 5:44 PM

I watched it. meh

by Anonymousreply 226November 9, 2021 5:47 PM

Oh, I kind of liked the idea of it not getting a second season. I understand people want to see Gi-hun take down the organization and avenge his friends and himself, but I liked the open-ended finale.

by Anonymousreply 227November 9, 2021 5:49 PM

In the middle of ep 4. Am I the only one who thinks it's boring?

by Anonymousreply 228November 14, 2021 2:19 AM

Yes r228

by Anonymousreply 229November 14, 2021 2:59 AM

Boring? The fuck is this guy watching?

by Anonymousreply 230November 14, 2021 10:56 AM

R228, I agree with you. It was only okay. Don’t get the hullabaloo

by Anonymousreply 231November 14, 2021 2:11 PM

Decided not to watch as it was marketed as a "horror" series. I tend to avoid that genre altogether.

Any gay characters or content?

by Anonymousreply 232November 14, 2021 2:17 PM

No gay characters

by Anonymousreply 233November 14, 2021 8:16 PM

None? You didn't really watch it then.

by Anonymousreply 234November 14, 2021 8:24 PM

Some of the random numbers seemed a little gay, and all the guards were gay as were the VIPs.

by Anonymousreply 235November 14, 2021 8:39 PM

The “green light red light” mega doll was definitely a carpet muncher

by Anonymousreply 236November 14, 2021 8:45 PM

Totally forgot about the stupid scene with the gay VIP

by Anonymousreply 237November 14, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]Boring? The fuck is this guy watching?

Yeah boring. with the exception of the old man, points for that, every single thing was telegraphed.

by Anonymousreply 238November 15, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] Thanks for your worthless contribution to this thread Bootsy

You’re welcome Defacto

by Anonymousreply 239November 15, 2021 1:59 AM

Yeah the slapper and the cop are hot but I think Park Hae-soo was pretty gorgeous too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240November 15, 2021 3:17 AM

[quote]R236 The “green light red light” mega doll was definitely a carpet muncher

Yes! Ruthless, robotic, unyielding…built like a tank!

by Anonymousreply 241November 15, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]From what I understand, they also did not CGI anything at all. All those impressives sets are built from scratch including that huge robot doll.

The tug of war was CGI, there is no way having all those actors up there. The most obvious CGI were the gun shots, no matter whether the gun was a foot away ot 100 feet every hit was the same explosion of blood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242November 15, 2021 3:32 AM

I’d like to see the hot cop in more Netflix shows please.

by Anonymousreply 243November 15, 2021 4:25 AM

Lol at all the guards being gay. Why not?

by Anonymousreply 244November 17, 2021 9:37 PM

Has a major theme park announced a licensing deal yet?

by Anonymousreply 245November 17, 2021 10:24 PM

If this had been made in the US, everyone would’ve been buff and good looking, including the old man.

by Anonymousreply 246November 24, 2021 12:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247November 26, 2021 3:33 AM

I have no time for bad SyFy Channel CGI

by Anonymousreply 248November 26, 2021 11:00 AM

Officially coming back for season 2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249June 12, 2022 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!