Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let’s be Hocus Pocus but all the witches are GAY MEN!

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 6:53 AM

I just don’t understand this Hocus Pocus shit, even on a camp level it’s shit, and I definitely don’t need Gary Clayton or Jay Armstrong Johnson spending the month parading around in the outfits everyday.

by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]I just don’t understand this Hocus Pocus shit

Hocus Pocus was the movie Bette Midler agreed to do if the movie studio financed For the Boys (1991).

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2021 1:41 AM

Let's admit that Hocus Pocus is actually a terrible movie, uninspired and devoid of comedy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2021 1:44 AM

Stanley Kubrick saw this movie and offered Vinessa Shaw a role in Eyes Wide Shut.

by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2021 1:49 AM

Already done way back in 1970 (see drag queen witches). P.S, This song got to me as a little gayling and still does. Plus my celluloid crush on Jack Wild.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2021 1:49 AM

I thought Kubrick directed "Hocus Pocus".

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2021 1:54 AM

No, that was Kenny Ortega, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7October 7, 2021 4:53 AM

I’ve never seen this movie. Is it worth watching? Seems silly.

by Anonymousreply 8October 7, 2021 4:57 AM

Aren't you queens a little old to be trick-or-treating?

by Anonymousreply 9October 7, 2021 4:58 AM

[quote] I thought Kubrick directed "Hocus Pocus".

No, he directed "The Worst Witch."

He made Fairuza Balk re-shoot a scene a thousand times, and reduced her to a quivering sobbing mess.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2021 5:01 AM

I had such a crush on Omri Katz due to this film.

by Anonymousreply 11October 7, 2021 5:02 AM

Isn’t he gay, R11?

by Anonymousreply 12October 7, 2021 8:10 AM

We're doing it now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 7, 2021 8:32 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 7, 2021 9:04 AM

R8, he seems absolutely nuts.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2021 4:02 PM

I could totally see Willam Belli as Sarah. Prettier than SJP, too.

by Anonymousreply 16October 7, 2021 4:05 PM

[quote] "I thought Kubrick directed "Hocus Pocus"."

Surely this is a joke.

And I don't know if Katz is gay R12, but director Ortega is (I myself didn't know that for a long time).

by Anonymousreply 17October 7, 2021 4:35 PM

I saw this movie in theaters as a kid and loved it! Watched it many more times on home video. My little brother and I (both gay) and our sister would cosplay (with really bad homemade costumes 😂) the movie in the woods behind our house, which had a treehouse that we pretended was the Sanderson sisters' cottage. I was Winnie because I'm the oldest, my brother was Sarah because he always had to be the pretty one, and our sister was Mary by default. Since we live in central Mass. we made our parents take us to Salem and it became an annual tradition. Except for last year.

Last weekend, my brother and his husband hosted a HOCUS POCUS arts & crafts party at their house, attended by all three siblings, my 8-year-old niece, and two of our closest friends. We made a Black Flame candle, then proceeded to watch the movie for the umpteenth time. I lamented to my brother that it's really too bad there wasn't much, if any, HOCUS POCUS merchandise when we were little. They now have dolls, costumes, snow globes, decorations, stickers, shirts/sweatshirts, you name it. We would have loved it! But, alas, the movie bombed in theaters. Whose bright idea was it to release it in July? Good thing the film found an audience on videocassette and is now a cult classic. IMO, it's fun to watch, particularly the witches, and the practical effects still hold up.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the Disney children's horror series EERIE, INDIANA? Omri Katz was the star and I thought he was the cutest thing ever. He is the reason why I really wanted to go see HOCUS POCUS in the first place. 😁

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 4:24 PM

I was vacationing with my friend, Stanley Kubrick...

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 4:44 PM

I’m the spell I cast to make all cute guys gay and available.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 4:49 PM

I'm right you R1. The movie is fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2021 4:51 PM

I'm the virgin nowhere to be found.

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2021 4:53 PM

[quote]No, that was Kenny Ortega

I’m the diddling.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2021 4:53 PM

Agreed, the idea of casting it with cis female gay icons was very of its time.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2021 4:54 PM

I think you can only appreciate Hocus Pocus if you're a child/tween or grew up with it. It wasn't made for adults, even though it has a few sexual innuendos that went over my head as a kid.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2021 4:56 PM

I’m Kathy Najimy, confident this film role will catapult me from a pack of nuns to superstardom.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2021 4:57 PM

The word 'twee' was invented for r18. I'm actually jealous, that sounds like fun.

I, myself, don't get the love of this film. My husband adores it but I always 'check out' when he puts it on.

by Anonymousreply 27October 18, 2021 5:13 PM

Well, Froy is in the new one.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2021 5:17 PM

I'm Max assuming that Alison is a virgin who can light the black flame candle. I offer her the lighter but she demurs. I light the candle instead.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2021 5:38 PM

[Quote] Incidentally, does anyone remember the Disney children's horror series EERIE, INDIANA? Omri Katz was the star and I thought he was the cutest thing ever. He is the reason why I really wanted to go see HOCUS POCUS in the first place. 😁

Yes, i remember liking that show and having a crush on Omri.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2021 6:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!