Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No Time To Die

Share your thoughts about the latest Bond fillum.

My take: really enjoyable. More like the Bonds of old. Much lighter than than previous maudlin Craig excursions. Not perfect: Anna de Armas and Rami Malek underused. He especially needed an additional action and motivation scene. But everyone is terrific with what they're given to do. Dibs to the child actor too. Beautifully photographed and fantastic production design. Watching a CGI blockbuster and then watching this is like night and day. It makes one realise what we've missed: it looks REAL because the huge sets are real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2021 10:15 PM

I'll wait for streaming. I have no time to die catching COVID at the cinema watching this.

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2021 5:47 AM

The critical praise of Ana de Armas is warranted. I thought Knives Out the biggest bore in the world, and the critical praise of it bewildering, but I think her work on the still unreleased Marilyn Monroe pic enabled her to bring this delightful ditsy Marilyn quality to her spot. She gives the most ravishing smile at the end of it when Craig says of her agent abilities: "You were really excellent." She just comes across as so unaffected and fresh (whereas it's probably more acting skill), and the whole scene is pure cinematic fun.

Malek has a delicious scene midway through in an office (won't give anything away), but he pulls an acting stunt that I think acting students will relish. He holds back the last word in a sentence for at least another heartbeat longer than would even be permissible for a mustache-twirling Bond villain. He just lets the audience wait. And wait. And wait. Before dropping it. It's just a tiny bit of actor's business in the flow of scene dialogue, but I thought it really daring, and shiveringly good.

Daniel Craig's delivery of some Bond gags (there's a great one about cats) is so throwaway deadpan, it shows how good he's become as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2021 6:02 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2021 6:08 AM

It's fascinating to see Rami Malek's real life proportions. He could be Darfar Orphan with a Rolex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 7, 2021 6:25 AM

I would see it if Bond reveals he is bi or gay, and cornholes Rami roughly.

by Anonymousreply 5October 7, 2021 9:32 AM

Daniel Craig was on "Jimmy Kimmel Live" last night; tonight, he and Rami Malek sit down with James Corden.

by Anonymousreply 6October 7, 2021 11:35 PM

First half great. Second half awful. The ending was an abomination.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 3:47 AM

I loved it. I don't mind long movies at all, but my eyes glazed over during parts of the last quarter. I liked the first half of the film as it felt very punchy, more than a few funny moments and great introductions of the new characters, then it went back to being a standard "Bond" film, complete with the over-the-top villain lair.

And now we have a canonically gay Q.

The credits ended with the usual "James Bond Will Be Back" and I'm very intrigued how they proceed.

by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 7:41 AM

r6 and Corden can make it all about him. So glad you Americans gave him a job!

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 9:01 AM

The Rami Malek experiment is over. The Little things proved he's too weird and unattractive to play a leading role. This movie proves he's too weird and unattractive to play the bad guy.

Who the fuck ever tried to make this sniveling closet case happen?

by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 9:59 AM

R10 You are so right. Even we've never had interest in him.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 10:27 AM

Agree he seemed at sea in The Little Things -- I wonder if he was terrified working with Denzel and seized up and fell back on technique -- but he's been superb in so much else, including of course Mr Robot, and the Pacific. His turn on 24 as that terrorist was also deeply affecting. And I loved his OTT turn here. That brief, carefully paced scene in Madeline's office is a corker! But as others have said, the script needed to another scene to outline the villain's motivation for wanting to murder millions, beyond general psychopathy. Goldfinger loved gold, Karl Stromberg loved the sea: but it's not truly made clear in the script what really pushes Safin's buttons, beyond revenge for the death of his immediate family and Madeline. Given they were still fiddling the script while the filming was going on, and there were four writers, it's surprising it's as good as it is. In one interview Malek said there was a scene in an earlier version of the script that he went to Barbara Broccoli about, and told her he couldn't do it, and she agreed. I wonder what it involved. The murder of the child?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 10:56 AM

[quote]he's too weird and unattractive

Yet he's pocketed millions being the international face of Dior, YSL and Cartier.

Oh to be so weird and unattractive. Robert Pattinson whinged to him that even HE didn't have a clothing endorsement. Which is surprising.

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 12:03 PM

I will see it if only for the glancing peeks at Craig’s big crotch. It’s all balls but I don’t care.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote]He could be Darfar Orphan with a Rolex.

Yes please.

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 2:31 PM

Too long

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 3:32 PM

I'm frustrated that due to family events this weekend, I can't see it until Tuesday night.

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2021 3:39 PM

[quote] Yet he's pocketed millions being the international face of Dior, YSL and Cartier.

And God knows you cannot ever argue with financial $ucce$$!

If top fashion houses and luxury jewelry manufacturers say he's attractive, then he absolutely must be!!

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2021 6:03 AM

I bet it was the murder of the childr r11. The scene where he lets the girl go is so anticlimactic that it’s almost an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2021 6:20 AM

SPOILERS! I have more questions than answers after seeing this because the plot was so unbelievably complex.

1) I was confused why Rami Malek's character would be named Lyutsifer (surely a bizarre name in any culture)--what ethnicity was he supposed to be? Also, why was he wearing that creepy doll mask at the beginning when he came to assassinate Madeline and her mother? And why would his father have been cultivating a poison garden in his childhood, and why did Miadeline's father have to kill the entire family in his childhood as well as the father?

2) Why did the sexy lead killer in SPECTRE's employ in Matera (and then Safin's employ on the island) receive a fake eye in the first place? It seemed so weird that both he and Blofeld had bionic eyes, yet not for interconnected reasons. And why did he switch from working for Blofeld and SPECTRE to working for Safin? (Whjo would want to work for these crazy people who want to kill off half the planet anyway? Do they really think they're going to be important in the supervillain's new world order? Why would they be if their only skills are killing people and looking hot in a motorcycling suit?

3) Why did Bond willingly let himself die after being infected with the nanobots that would have infected and killed Madeline and Mathilde? Couldn't he have just stayed away from them for the rest of his life? Was the point that life was not worth living without touching them... or was it that he would eventually have infected so many other people that they in turn would eventually one day infect Madeline and Mathilde and inevitably kill them? That wasn't made clear to me.

4) Why was Bond so easily taken in during the opening scenes in Matera by Blofeld's pretty obvious scheme to make him think Madeline was still employed by SPECTRE? Anyone could have seen through that.

5) Were we to expect that M was to receive no repercussions whatsoever for recklessly developing the nanobots and thus endangering the world and getting all those poor scientists developing them killed in the movie's first half hour? That hardly seems fair. he told Bond the responsibility for all their deaths and all the danger to the world was his responsibility, yet there was not a single suggestion he was going to pay for it at the end.

6) Why was Vesper Lynd buried in Matera, of all places?

by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2021 6:20 AM

[quote]I bet it was the murder of the childr

Yeah. I think you're right R19. If he'd murdered her, it would have been so distasteful, it might have inhibited the audience from enjoying the rest of the movie. So right call, but as you say, her escape scene didn't feel thought through. Maybe he could have handed her over to a henchman, who Nomi could then have spotted and shot.

To answer R20, as best I can:

1) Mixed descent, but I would say Russian, but one of the former Soviet asiatic republics. Mask is a Noh mask, so fits with his love of things oriental, and he wanted to initally hide his face from Mr White had he been at home, and presumably because of the Dioxin damage -- RM said he and Cary F. researched what effect a childhood dioxin poisoning might have on Safin's appearance. And of course, cause Safin's as mad as a meataxe. As for the poison garden: why not, give his father worked with toxins. Haven't you ever grown carnivorous plants? And the garden appears in one of the Fleming books.

3) Maybe Bond didn't think life would be worth living if he couldn't be with M & his daughter. He wanted a full life, not a half life.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2021 6:54 AM

I wonder if in the original script he tortured the child to upset Bond and/or her mother.

by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2021 3:10 PM

Ooo, that's a thought! Such as pulling the child's hand to one of the poison plants while Madeline watched.

That must have been the quietest and most well-behaved child in cinema history. I wonder if she was edibles.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2021 3:52 PM

I really disliked it. My partner fell asleep during it TWICE and I was aching to leave after 2 hours - it's around 2h40 min. 40 minutes too long.

I know Bond films are a template but this was just the most hack, cliched film I've seen in a long time. Ok - where are we going to shoot a motorcycle and car chase scenes? Somewhere beautiful, but it has to be on pedestrian streets so shit and people get in the way.

The villain's 'lair' has to be made of huge blocks of concrete and he has a secret garden of poison plants. All of the villain's henchmen have automatic weapons, fire 40-50 shots at him in 3 seconds and MISS, yet he gets up and fires one shot and kills them. They give retired Bond's 007 number to a black woman agent, then she gives it back to him later. Yawn.

These films are ridiculous and maybe I'm getting too old for them (I'm 50). I used to love Bond films from the 60's and 70's. But this just seemed tired and overly used scenarios and tension that just doesn't appeal to me any more.

It has received very good reviews, which is puzzling to me. It feels like action films for stupid people, which really burns as Bond pics were such a unique and exciting genre in the 60's and 70's.

Didn't hate it - but really disliked it and wished I could get those 3 hours back. I contemplated walking out by my partner was sleeping and I couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote]) Why did Bond willingly let himself die after being infected with the nanobots that would have infected and killed Madeline and Mathilde? Couldn't he have just stayed away from them for the rest of his life?

The rest of his life wasn't going to be long. Safin shot him multiple times and he was already, seemingly, bleeding out as he descended the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2021 5:54 PM

Hate it or not, it was worth it for the plentiful VPL crotch shots of Daniel Craig. I thought it was spectacular. I'm going to see it again in IMAX.

by Anonymousreply 26October 9, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] I really disliked it. My partner fell asleep during it TWICE and I was aching to leave after 2 hours

The somnolence and discomfort is troubling. Without wishing to be impolite: are both of you carrying excess weight?

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2021 8:36 PM

I read a rumor that the reason Danny Boyle left the film was because he fundamentally disagreed with the script’s final scenes. He also didn’t get along with Daniel Craig (who was fully supportive of the ending).

by Anonymousreply 28October 10, 2021 2:49 AM

R27 - he's 6ft and 175lbs, so no, I don't consider that overweight. He did have a gummy before the film - but I've never seen him fall asleep after taking one of those.

by Anonymousreply 29October 10, 2021 4:13 PM

Visually it’s beautiful, but the plot is very hard to understand. It just seems like a series of bad guys without any real explanations (I had to read the plot later on Wikipedia to understand it). It’s also way too long at 2:43 hours.

by Anonymousreply 30October 10, 2021 4:23 PM

R30, that's probably the biggest complaint I've had with the Daniel Craig Bonds: I have to see the movies twice to really understand the plots, they're so convoluted. At least with something like Moonraker, the villain's project was comprehensible in a single viewing.

by Anonymousreply 31October 10, 2021 4:35 PM

R30 - thank you. I thought it was just me. Like I said in my post above, it feels like movies for stupid people. Besides the formula/template of all Bond films that wears thin, now they make the plot overly complicated to pass as being clever. It's not. I don't need to be spoon-fed, but it shouldn't be hard to follow a film.

by Anonymousreply 32October 10, 2021 4:40 PM

Seriously? I thought it was slightly over-explanatory, and I haven't seen Spectre. What was missing what the bigger motivation for Safin. It felt like a scene needed to be retrieved from the editing wastebasket.

by Anonymousreply 33October 10, 2021 4:48 PM

I liked it overall, but yeah, it was a little too long and could have been trimmed a bit. Safin's master plan wasn't really explained, and Rami didn't have enough scenes to make much of an impression as a villain. Having a Black female 007 felt like pandering, and the character was kind of shoehorned into the film. Ana de Armas' scenes were the best part of the movie, and I wanted more of her character. I have mixed feelings about the ending of the film, but it's surprising to have a Bond film go that way.

I don't know where the franchise will go next. The Bond film template could use a refresh.

by Anonymousreply 34October 10, 2021 10:43 PM

I thought it was horrible. Atrocious dialogue and plot, bad directing, almost no action scenes, token female 007 casting, stupid villain, terrible lighting and music. It was a really bad maudlin drama one finds on prime video for free. Respect to Danny Boyle for walking away from it. I expect their choice of next James Bond to be similarly awful. So disappointing

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2021 5:55 AM

I guess Danny Boyke walked away because the pipes, the pipes were calling.

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2021 6:15 AM

Give us the names of a couple of films you recently enjoyed R35.

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2021 6:30 AM

How much CGI and filters did it take to make Craig sexy?

by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2021 7:56 AM

Zimmer recording the final piece in the movie. This is fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2021 3:40 PM

[R37] we havent had a lot of choices, but i really enjoyed both Coda and Black Widow. And ive seen all Bond movies. Im a fan. This was bad.

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2021 4:30 PM

The ending of the movie reminded me of some thing that used to drive Annie Wilkes crazy — that at the end of the picture it seems there is no escape for the hero, and that he is surely doomed, but in the next episode he’s alive and well, and she would complain that you never saw how he made his escape.

When the last frame of the credits says “James Bond will return” I smiled as I thought of Annie Wilkes...

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2021 8:36 PM

[quote]but i really enjoyed both Coda and Black Widow.

Thanks for the laff.

by Anonymousreply 42October 12, 2021 4:43 AM

I loved the film. Beautifully photographed, exciting chase scenes, overall good acting, great casting, and the sound was terrific.

[quote]The adorable little girl in No Time to Die is played by actress Lisa-Dorah Sonnet. Bond 25 marks her first acting role—but no doubt she will be snapped up by casting directors in the future, after her highly-praised debut.

As someone upthread mentioned, there are terrific Daniel Craig VPL scenes. Almost too good to be true.

Spoiler comment: I really expected that at the end - probably at a moment of almost certain James Bond demise - that the Mathilde would pull a gun out if her little doll (Dou Dou) and blast Rami to bits. Like mother, like daughter. Now that would have been an ending!

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote] Why did Bond willingly let himself die after being infected

R20 Does Bond die in this movie?

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2021 2:48 AM

Yes, r44. At least apparently.

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2021 3:43 AM

Finally got to see it. Definitely a movie for the big screen. There are some classic action moments here: the entire pre-credits sequence, the entire Cuba section with Ana de Armas (wonderful) and Jeffrey Wright, the battle in Norway. There are some drama bits in the second half that slow the movie down, but are necessary for plot development. Great Hans Zimmer score.

The numerous call backs to On Her Majesty’s Secret Service were fitting and wonderful. And didn’t they lift elements from the Fleming novel You Only Live Twice (not the film)?

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2021 4:22 AM

I think the poison garden is from Fleming's novel.

The director has posted Zimmer recording the fabulous music for the close. (Sound up!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2021 4:47 AM

R39, R47 I'm hearing echoes of Arvo Pärt and Vaughan Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2021 4:57 AM

The score also reminds me of LoTR.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2021 5:06 AM

It was so beautifully directed. There are definitely elements that linger in the mind: like that shot near the opening where the camera does that slow zoom from the house atrium window to distant figure in the snow approaching it. Rami Malek walking around with the child in his arms doing threatening tenderness made me think of Dr Mengele. I wonder if he based part of the character on him, because the hair was the same.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2021 6:59 AM

R20 Vesper Lynd died in Venice, so Matera seems like an appropriate place to bury her. What I didn't get was why her grave looked like she had died in 1886.

It doesn't matter why Safin's goon has a glass eye. He does. Like it doesn't matter why Jaws had steel teeth. He did. That's Bond.

Blofeld did not have a glass eye. His eye was gone.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2021 7:20 AM

The French-Algerian actor who played the henchman is very sexy, and has an accent to die for...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2021 7:27 AM

Has anyone noticed that the villains of the Craig era have been super fey, bordering on gay camp?

I wouldn't include Mads Mikkelsen's Le Chiffre (Casino Royale) in this; while he was erudite, he definitely was not fey. But beginning with Matthieu Amalric's Dominic Green in Quantum of Solace, the villains have been "gayer" than usual for Bond, peaking with Javier Bardem's Silva in Skyfall, who's so gayish that he even fondles Bond at one point. Christoph Waltz's Blofeld in Spectre is a tad fey, though more cerebral than anything else, but we're back to campy feyness with Rami Malek's Safin in No Time To Die.

Undoubtedly, there were gayish villains before -- henchmen like Wint & Kidd in Diamonds Are Forever, and even the occasional primary villain like Gustav Graves in Die Another Day, who shared a rather homoerotic relationship with his henchman, Zao. But such a string of gay-coded villains in the Craig films is interesting, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2021 3:22 PM

It's a new world, R53, with new enemies and new threats. But you can still depend on one man... wait, no, you can't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2021 8:35 PM

The last words on the screen at the end of the credits:

“James Bond will return.”

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote] James Bond will return—

Yes, as a sassy women of colour!

Suck it up, you fogies and anoraks.

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 4:12 AM

Remarkable makeup job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 3:05 PM

I didn’t like the dependence on the previous movies, as Bond movies go in one eye and out the other. I had rewatched Spectre not 24 hours before seeing the new one and still could not follow the plot. And the title sequence was dull.

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2021 3:33 PM

r58, the title credits often depend on the quality of the song; the Billie Eilish song is a tuneless dirge, so Daniel Kleinman was hampered in the creation of the titles.

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2021 3:37 PM

Disagree, I think the Billie Eilish song works perfectly for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2021 11:26 PM

The Bond house in the film

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 16, 2021 3:58 PM

I can safely say this is a film I’ll never see.

by Anonymousreply 62October 16, 2021 7:29 PM

R39 Even Patti Smith liked it!

by Anonymousreply 63October 16, 2021 8:20 PM

Does he use a walker or other stability aid?

by Anonymousreply 64October 16, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote] almost no action scenes

I think there were plenty. I have to say though the older I get the less they interest me. I mean, how many one-on-one fights or car chases can you watch and still be surprised? At some point car chases look all the same, and fist fights the more elaborate they get, the more choreographed they look. I'm fine with one fist fight, one car chase and one mass shooting per movie.

by Anonymousreply 65October 16, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote] Does Bond die in this movie? - Yes, [R44]. At least apparently.

Nobody is really dead in TV or movie unless you clearly see the dead body.

by Anonymousreply 66October 16, 2021 9:20 PM

Thank you for that R61. The set design is definitely one of the stars of this film. Few movies these days look as lush as this one, with imperceptible CGI which, if used, it's only to enhance what is there, not to create "impossible" scenarios.

by Anonymousreply 67October 16, 2021 9:24 PM

I think the Daniel Craig movies' tone was right for its time. But I want to say the tide is changing right now, possibly radically. The deeply disturbed hero has been done for twenty years now, and it it gave us some very interesting movies. But after the grim Trump years and COVID, I am craving something more light hearted. I wouldn't mind getting a Bond that is more relaxed and less tortured. All of a sudden the Roger Moore silliness feels just right to me - at least for a while.

by Anonymousreply 68October 16, 2021 9:25 PM

I've never seen a single Bond film. They always seemed like a straight dude's macho fantasy and well, Hollywood makes enough of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 69October 16, 2021 9:32 PM

The climax of No Time To Die features elements borrowed from Ian Fleming's novel You Only Live Twice - the villain's lair is on an island off the coasts of Japan and Russia, and contains a poison garden. A climactic explosion to destroy the lair leaves Bond with amnesia and the rest of the world thinking he's dead. Searching for his true identity, he heads to Russia (leaving Bond girl Kissy Suzuki pregnant with his child). At the beginning of the next novel, The Man With The Golden Gun, Bond turns up alive, but brainwashed by the Russians and he attempts to assassinate M. After a de-washing, he's accepted back into the service.

So I'm guessing we'll see a variation on that.

by Anonymousreply 70October 16, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]The ending was an abomination.

Do tell. I have no intention of seeing it.

"SPOILER ALERT"...

by Anonymousreply 71October 16, 2021 9:44 PM

I was disappointed. (Some possible spoilers)

The cast was very solid but given too much and too little to do. The film itself plays like an incoherent greatest hits montage. The party in Cuba was shockingly trashy given the context (and what we have seen of Spectre in the previous films - it plays like a Dick Tracy's Villains' get-together rather than a gathering of the deadliest career criminals on the planet). The scene in the madhouse is obviously trying to one-up Silence of the Lambs and failing every step of the way. The plan of the villain was never made clear and this was fatal in one glaring respect - why are all these people working for him? The Russian scientist? The American agent? All the men and women scientists? And particularly the cyclops assassin, who was amazingly sexy and wrung one of the most charismatic non-speaking roles out of a performance since Robert Downey Jr. popped out from under a table in Girls Just Want to Have Fun. On the plus side, Paloma was an amazing character, the locations were great and Craig is still sexy at however old it is that is.

by Anonymousreply 72October 16, 2021 11:42 PM

R71 Bond becomes a trans woman of color. There, I'm sure you regret being told because that's your kind of story.

by Anonymousreply 73October 16, 2021 11:42 PM

Here’s a video about the Cuba set. The attention to detail is gobsmacking. Unfortunately there’s not one about Rami Malek’s stunning lair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 16, 2021 11:50 PM

And here’s the Matera set. This is what makes Bond movies so fabulous: the style and money thrown into them..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 16, 2021 11:54 PM

No R70 - we saw Bond get blown up - in close up. He is very dead.

by Anonymousreply 76October 17, 2021 1:01 AM

SPOILER: Final scene at link.

R76, that's debatable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 17, 2021 1:07 AM

Just got back. I enjoyed it. Had no problem with the ending.

I do agree with others about Ralek’s character though. I get that he was going to kill millions. I get how. Why however …?

Ana De Armas criminally underused.

by Anonymousreply 78October 17, 2021 1:18 AM

R77 - that scene does not look debatable lol, but keep the faith✊

by Anonymousreply 79October 17, 2021 1:22 AM

I hope he fucking died. Useless relic.

by Anonymousreply 80October 17, 2021 2:34 AM

R80 Who do YOU want to replace the useless relic?

by Anonymousreply 81October 17, 2021 2:39 AM

Why do we need this stupid character and franchise any more?? I want the CHARACTER and his whole aged domain to die.

Create something new.

by Anonymousreply 82October 17, 2021 2:50 AM

Thank you for your contribution, R80.

by Anonymousreply 83October 17, 2021 3:00 AM

Thank you for your contribution, R69.

by Anonymousreply 84October 17, 2021 3:25 AM

Movie rule number one: if you don’t see the body, the character is not dead.

by Anonymousreply 85October 17, 2021 5:13 AM

[quote]Why do we need this stupid character and franchise any more?

I imagine you as about 13, and in love with Spiderman.

by Anonymousreply 86October 17, 2021 8:25 AM

It was fascinating to read that even those bunker explosions weren't animated: they were 40 kilos of high explosive with 35 kilos of fuel for each explosion, and shot on Salisbury Plain.

by Anonymousreply 87October 17, 2021 12:40 PM

R87, it was fascinating to realize how much air pollution that must of been.

CGI explosions are fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 88October 17, 2021 1:00 PM

Oh sweetie. One burning Calif forest tree would emit just as much with none of the fun. Live a little.

by Anonymousreply 89October 17, 2021 2:23 PM

Building an entire structure just to film in a room with a view seems quite extravagant. Feels like 'we have all that budget approved. Now how can we possibly find ways to spend it.' I kinda get it though. Just imagine, Bond was not produced with a mega budget. The movie would be frowned upon just for being mid-budget even if quality was not impacted at all.

by Anonymousreply 90October 17, 2021 2:44 PM

Yep, there's an expectation that a Bond movie must have a certain defining sense of style and luxe along with the grandeur -- otherwise you blur into Mission Impossible which has been eating into its territory. A very tricky thing to get right, but I think everyone who works on them is highly conscious of it, right down to the sweeping seductive chords within the score.

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote] right down to the sweeping seductive chords within the score.

I praise for John Barry for starting all that.

He knew how to use masses of sweeping violins (which bordered on schmaltzy) but they were punctuated with jazz rhythms.

by Anonymousreply 92October 19, 2021 12:00 AM

The garden! Interesting studio ceiling light set up. Have never seen that before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2021 10:43 AM

At the beginning of the movie, some of the banter between mother and daughter isn't reflected in the subtitles, and I don't speak French. Just as young Madeleine mutters "You want to eat again?" (approx. 00:01:01), her mother hollers what sounds like "Je sois [something?], or "Je suis [something?]. Anybody know what was said?

by Anonymousreply 94November 15, 2021 5:27 PM

The film hinged on the central relationship between Bond and Lea Sedoux. If De Armas were used more, it would have undercut that.

by Anonymousreply 95November 15, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] The garden! Interesting studio ceiling light set up. Have never seen that before.

It's based on a ceiling from Dr. No, the first Bond in 1962. Somewhere in NTTD there's a grouted ceiling that looks more like the one in Dr. No.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96November 15, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote]It's based on a ceiling from Dr. No, the first Bond in 1962. Somewhere in NTTD there's a grouted ceiling that looks more like the one in Dr. No.

There's a lot of 'Dr No' in NTTD. When they located Safin's base in "a group of disputed islands between Japan and Russia," and showed the minimalist concrete base, for a hot moment I thought they might be about to drag Dr No back into the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 97November 17, 2021 1:49 AM

There was a rumor that the producers intended for Safin to be Dr. No throughout the movie's production. Hence the costume match, the sets and the title "No" Time to Die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 17, 2021 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!