Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBO: The Way Down

Anyone watching? I’m enjoying after two eps. Gwen Shamblin and the Remnant Church have a lot of doc qualities I seek: very rich & shallow corrupt people, cults, fat shaming, southern but not too southern, big hair, washed up formerly hot beefcake actors (Joe Lara), material excess, plane crashes, and, ultimately: karma often gets you in the end. To paraphrase an ex-church member: Gwen’s new religion rejected the holy trinity for a new holy trinity: money, prestige, and power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2023 10:58 PM

It's a fascinating docuseries about very shallow Christians.

Why do these Christian warrior women try to out-Tammy Tammy Faye Bakker?

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2021 12:51 PM

This show had all the ingredients to be fascinating, but I found the way it scrambles up the timeline and intermingles different storylines to be super confusing. Sometimes the old-fashioned approach of moving a documentary in chronological order just works best.

I did love the sad cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2021 12:52 PM

R1: Exaggerated womanhood is part of the package.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2021 12:54 PM

Huh. I didn’t know about this. Sounds right up my alley.

Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2021 12:59 PM

Watched the first three episodes last night. As R2 said, mixing up the stories and the timeline makes it a bit hard to follow.

Most of the talking heads actually have something to say. I like how one former follower said that Gwen went from looking like a 90's housewife to a strung-out hooker.

And her video deposition in the custody case is interesting.

Her son Michael should come to Datalounge at once and start posting here, if he doesn't, already.

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2021 2:19 PM

She was so revolting looking with that big mouth, big hair and skeleton body.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2021 3:44 PM

Religion is truly the last refuge of scoundrels.

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2021 5:00 PM

When you wear a squid on your head you're on the way down.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2021 6:21 PM

Chrissy Teigen is a co-producer of this. FYI.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2021 5:42 PM

These people aren't that dissimilar to the owners of LuLaRoe. SO many people must have rejoiced upon hearing that plane went down.

It was a true miracle.

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2021 5:48 PM

I watched the whole enchilada this afternoon. The whole time I kept talking to the TV, telling Joe Lara’s babymama “don’t worry, honey. He’s dead now, and you guys are safe!”

It gave me such satisfaction to know that those awful people feel out of the sky, thanks to that lazy gigolo.

But then again, the daughter will probably replace her horrible mother and be twice as awful.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2021 10:55 PM

The daughter is flat and charisma free. That cult is gonna die out.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2021 3:15 PM

What a bizarre looking woman.

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2021 3:25 PM

R12 Emaciated, too. Really skeletal.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2021 1:38 AM

Lots of juicy parts for a movie adaptation: Gwen, Joe Lara, that abusive Anger guy, and the alcoholic son. The daughter would have to be CGI-ed.

IMDB says two more episodes in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2021 4:58 AM

I will give Gwen some credit for getting some of these parishioners down to a much healthier weight. That one woman being interviewed looked like Jabba the Hut. She obviously wasted no time getting in line at the all-you-can-eat soft serve ice cream station at Golden Corral as soon as she quit the church.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2021 2:44 PM

Could they have come up with a more horrific title?

Crash Landing

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2021 3:53 PM

Crash dieters

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2021 4:10 PM

Dead Weight

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2021 4:40 PM

I really felt for the parents who lost their daughter Delaney to the cult. And I liked them more for putting their foot down and telling their stupid daughter they wouldn’t attend her wedding if Gwen officiated.

Which also makes me wonder - if Gwen had stayed in town to officiate the wedding, would she and Joe Lara be alive today? Given how the leaders liked to point fingers at its parishioners for bringing misfortune to the church, will Delaney be blamed for this misfortune?

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2021 10:36 PM

"When people were in those concentration camps, [italic]they lost weight[/italic]!"

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Wow, Joe Lara was stunning, but he had lost in his looks by the time he entered into this cult.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2021 6:33 PM

I didn't know until I watched this that Gwen grew up in the Churches of Christ, which most mainstream evangelicals consider heretical in itself. (Based on her wig fashions and her gaudy lifestyle, I had thought Remnant was some Pentecostal prosperity-gospel sect.) But now it's clear that she drew a lot of inspiration from the CoC, mainly the "we're the only true church" worldview.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2021 7:10 PM

Karma would be another alternative title for a doc about these grifters.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2021 7:16 PM

I think the notion that gays are child molesters to be the gay equivalent of Jewish blood libel.

HOWEVER, the second "Tedd Anger" appeared on screen, my first two thoughts were "closet queen extraordinaire" and "I would never, EVER let him near any child whom I knew. Particularly the boys."

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2021 5:25 AM

It's rather poorly made, with poor commentary by somewhat peripheral subjects with dubious credibility. For example, does anyone believe the morbidly obese woman was ever any kind of insider in that fat-obsessed church?

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2021 12:22 PM

All religions consider themselves the true religion.

They should have spent more time on the daughter and Tedd Anger.

I wasn’t as scandalized as I suspect I was supposed to be, about the clannishness of the church. Like, if you wanted your children watched or your lawn mowed, you’d hire a church member. It’s like that anywhere. Churches, synagogues, etc. Hell, I’ve given a bunch of business to neighbors I like.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2021 1:15 PM

What a bunch of shitty people, the world is definitely a better place without them.

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2021 4:54 PM

Any news on season two?

by Anonymousreply 29March 7, 2022 10:22 PM

Why has this freaky woman based her 'look' on the Long Guyland Medium?!

by Anonymousreply 30March 7, 2022 11:37 PM

[quote]It's rather poorly made, with poor commentary by somewhat peripheral subjects with dubious credibility.

Agree! It felt like it was made to provoke outrage toward Gwen but I never felt any empathy or compassion for any of these losers trying to convince me that Gwen was awful. These people followed her and believed her because they wanted something for nothing. Serves ‘em right that they got hoodwinked.

by Anonymousreply 31March 7, 2022 11:52 PM

Joe was so handsome. Until he wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 32March 8, 2022 2:10 AM

Episode 4 is now available!

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2022 1:24 PM

Thanks for the update, r33! I know what I’m watching today.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2022 1:43 PM

Thinness is next to Godliness. The message couldn't be any clearer. Now put down those big Macs you fat whores!

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2022 1:56 PM

OMG the woman who did Gwen’s hair at the beginning talks about it. LOL, she made the point that she wasn’t responsible for the giant beehives.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2022 2:39 PM

So, is the daughter the new Queen?

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2022 8:44 PM

R37 No, she’s one of 28 leaders. It was supposed to be the son, but he bailed on them hard.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2022 9:04 PM

Thanks, r38!

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2022 9:05 PM

That's one crazy wig. Wtf is with religious nutball women and crazy hair?

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2022 9:14 PM

R25, I think the notion that gays are child molesters to be the gay equivalent of Jewish blood libel.

Is that sentence on purpose? I know auto correct will mess with you.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2022 9:56 PM

I watched this over the weekend. I really felt sorry for the parents of the young women who got wrangled into the cult and the woman Rachel who shaved her head.

by Anonymousreply 42May 2, 2022 2:24 AM

The story is intriguing, although I don't think the series is all that well done. First of all, it isn't convincing in its depiction of Gwen Shamblin as a cult leader. Sure she's authoritarian and became kind of creepy but she never coerced anyone to do anything. She relied on gullible people to make her rich. She was just a classic grifter. What makes the story unique was that she was a female pastor with no training in religion with a message tailored to women in a religious environment dominated by men. Yet, the documentary seems uninterested in that angle.

by Anonymousreply 43May 2, 2022 3:13 AM

Late to the party, may start watching this.

by Anonymousreply 44May 18, 2022 1:33 AM

Trapped - The Only Way Out. Viewer Discretion Advised. Fatal Jet Crash of N66BK. premiers tonight, 5/29 at 9pm Vid by Probable Cause Dan Gryder

[quote] This is my conclusion of why N66BK crashed on May 29, 2021 with 7 on board.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 30, 2022 12:46 AM

Uptdates?

by Anonymousreply 46November 21, 2022 2:09 PM

Updates*

by Anonymousreply 47November 21, 2022 2:09 PM

Hair is sooooo close to God!

by Anonymousreply 48November 21, 2022 3:03 PM

Jennifer Grey WAS Gwen Shamblin Lara.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 7, 2023 6:26 PM

This looks good, thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 50February 7, 2023 7:42 PM

Was the Lifetime movie any good?

by Anonymousreply 51February 9, 2023 3:52 PM

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2023 9:50 PM

R51 I watched. It was ok, but not great.

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2023 9:55 PM

R53, will the hair/wig get any nominations?

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2023 10:02 PM

Are there any rumors or theories as to what caused the plane crash? Wikipedia says it’s still being investigated two years later.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2023 10:13 PM

I love. LOVE that they were on the way to a fucking Trump rally. Bwahahahahahaha.

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2023 6:06 AM

Yeah, it's not really that great. Nothing along the lines of Keith Renerie. Mildly interesting.

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2023 6:07 AM

Were they really, r56?

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2023 12:45 PM

R58 Actually I misunderstood the documentary. But it was a MAGA rally with Roger Stone and Michael Flynn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2023 9:15 PM

I enjoyed this documentary. Jesus had no money. His only dealings with money stem from the wealthy benefactors who paid His taxes and those of His disciples. Jesus had no use for money.

As an aside, Kenneth Copeland is worth 760 million dollars...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2023 9:43 PM

Man, I so don't get it. I was raised Catholic. Went to church every week because my dad made me. I could not WAIT to turn 18 and stop going. I never got a single thing out of it.

So how is it that throngs and throngs make it the center of their lives? What is it that I don't see? You've got these weird stories of a guy who was executed, then came back to life. They don't even seem to care about his actual supposed WORDS or philosophy. Only that he lived and "died for our sins." I never understood that concept either.

It's not like I'm particularly smart or anything. It just never made amy sense.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2023 10:41 PM

Life then was brutal - extremely brutal. Jesus came to teach of the ways we are intended to live our lives. Sum it all up in a few key phrases. Live and let live. Love and let love.

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2023 10:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!