Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

La Brea

What sort of fresh fuckery is this?

More Hollywood silliness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 8:15 AM

A couple years ago my daughter was watching something on Disney XD called something like Billy Dilly's adventures (inside the earth?). Somehow a few teens ended up inside the earth and having adventures. I see this as a similar thing.

The best part was this one character they met named Yucky. He could only say "yucky," and "indeed." I think he had a hairy mole.

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2021 12:58 AM

They did this in the 1970's.

It was called "Land of the Lost."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2021 1:00 AM

Land of the Lost did it better.

Rofl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2021 1:02 AM

Sorry, it was called Billy Dilley's Super-Duper Subterrianan Summer

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2021 1:04 AM

"Subterrianan"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2021 1:11 AM

I watched the pilot because I was mildly intrigued. I won't watch anymore episodes. The writing and acting were so bad.

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2021 2:07 AM

When do we get to see the Sleestaks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2021 8:59 AM

Maybe I'm too spoiled, but the CGI in the pilot is not very good. It's like what you'd expect from a show, filmed in Canada, done in the late 90s.

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2021 9:52 AM

The tar! The tar!

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2021 10:12 AM

Atrocious.

One of the worst pilots I've ever seen.

Can't believe NBC picked it up.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2021 10:14 AM

The sink hole isn’t even on La Brea, it's on Wilshire, and they missed the chance to use actual footage of the destruction of LACMA integrated into the scene. And Chris Burden’s lamppost sculpture as a visual touch point with them scattered over the subterranean world like the ribbons from the Peterson Musuem.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2021 10:32 AM

Watched it. Total garbage. Low Rent Special Effects. A thousand hot guys in Hollywood and they cast the ugly guy to play the son--he is fat and wearing skinny jeans? Seriously? Not to mention his blubber was rolling out of his shirt after the dinosaur dog bit him...Ugh...And the Indian guy even made a LOST joke. Stupid. Don't waste your time. ..Daddy is kind of hot but his tv son needs to go back to the gym.

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2021 10:42 AM

The show is filmed in Australia...

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2021 10:43 AM

[quote] A thousand hot guys in Hollywood and they cast the ugly guy to play the son--he is fat and wearing skinny jeans? Seriously? Not to mention his blubber was rolling out of his shirt after the dinosaur dog bit him...Ugh

Rofl!

I almost want to watch it just to see this. It sounds hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2021 10:49 AM

Natalie Zea is normally a lot of fun. She’s a genuinely good actress. The stuff on the surface (Dad’s visions/political coverups) is all a crashing bore.

The real fun to be had is the LOST ripoff in ancient LA.

I don’t understand why the whole show isn’t seeing the people learning to survive after they’ve gone through the wormhole.

The CGI is so bad that it must have been done on purpose this way. I was howling watching the daughter run away from the sinkhole across the green screen. The wolves were straight out of a video game circa 2002.

And yet, I would rather watch this than a network cop or doctor show.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2021 11:02 AM

Is still don’t understand how the cars were completely destroyed by the fall, but none of the people have so much as an abrasion let alone compound fractures.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2021 11:07 AM

The whole thing sounds campy, R15.

Is it?

Almost like an Ed Wood type of movie.

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2021 11:09 AM

Review Quote = "La Brea Is a Sucking Sinkhole of a Sci-Fi Mystery Show. Both literally and in terms of quality" (Reason)................I don't understand why the daughter didn't take off her leg and pull the mother to safety? Also it's a government coverup but 50 Dinosaur Birds fly out of the hole and the public doesn't get suspicious? Uh, What? Also can the Dinosaur Dogs chase the fat son in every episode until he loses the Covid weight? He actually used to be cute...Also why is the Indian Guy fat too? Did they cast at a weight watchers acting class? So many questions....

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2021 11:13 AM

This show sounds so terrible it might even get cancelled before the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2021 11:17 AM

It's so cheap and basic even SyFy might have rejected it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2021 11:21 AM

This is the sort of dreck NBC will try to make happen a la fetch. Millions and millions of overheated marketing and production dollars will be spent, and if even only 15 people tune in, they will pretend it’s a big hit, trumpeting it as “TV’s #1 new obsession.” It will limp along for 3 or 4 seasons, wind up on Netflix and become a streaming hit. Network TV has become the loser high school friend you hang out with grudgingly on Saturday afternoons out of boredom and desperation, saving the real fun for the cool kids at night (a la streaming platforms). La Suck-A.

by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2021 11:26 AM

[quote] Millions and millions of overheated marketing and production dollars will be spent, and if even only 15 people tune in, they will pretend it’s a big hit

You totally nailed it, R21.

They're already doing it.

The commercial advertisements are all over television!

Hollywood knows how to sell crap.

If only they knew how to make shows that people would actually want to watch.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2021 6:19 PM

R17, sadly it’s not very campy. It is fast-paced though and entertaining enough to watch.

Comparing La Brea to NBC’s el stinko offering in Ordinary Joe, I’d rather watch 4 more seasons of the former than another 15 more minutes of the latter. La Brea may be a misguided Xerox copy of Lost, but at least it’s more of an interesting failure than putting James Wolk on a bland cop show and bland medical drama at the same time. Talk about network tv being completely bankrupt for ideas!

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2021 6:31 PM

[quote] La Brea may be a misguided Xerox copy of Lost

Are we sure it's not a copy of "Land of the Lost," like at R3?

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2021 6:36 PM

Definitely more Lost. One of the characters actually says, "Wow, it feels like we're on an episode of Lost." The writers at least acknowledge where they're boring their ideas from.

It's a large group of strangers- not a single family- who find themselves basically coming out of a twenty-car pile up. The scenes very much feel like they’re ripped from the plane crash in the Lost pilot.

All of the people have secrets (there’s a pile of heroin in the trunks of one of the cars; one guy has a gun, the cop is hoarding power bars(!)). There’s a stoner (Charlie), therapist (Locke), dad with visions above ground (Walt).

It’s very, very much a Lost ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2021 7:47 PM

La Diarrbrhea

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2021 11:40 PM

More boring tropes = The gay couple who bicker (one of them is blind but he looks at everyone when talking to them)...The Lesbo Cop....The Navy Seal who can't even take care of himself....The Government Agents who have just been waiting for the deadbeat dads visions so they can let him fly a 20 million dollar plane. The religious loonys (who will probably turn out to be cult members).

by Anonymousreply 27October 6, 2021 2:12 AM

The big hole looks like it's supposed to be located at the La Brea tar pits.

I'm seeing the camera pointing in SE-direction capturing Wilshire between Fairfax and La Brea. But some of the buildings have been modified.

My old apartment on Hauser seems to have survived.

by Anonymousreply 28October 6, 2021 2:39 AM

What weird religion are the daughters that they’re obsessed with burying him so soon?

by Anonymousreply 29October 6, 2021 3:00 AM

r11 You realize the show isn't named because of the street, right? La Brea refers to the famous tar pits around which there is a museum and where the street gets it name. The tar pits are the last remnants of the pre-historic world on the surface in the LA area. The rest is underground, mostly in small oil deposits. Fossils and animal bones have long since been removed, hence the museum. In the TV show the sinkhole begins under the tar pits.

by Anonymousreply 30October 6, 2021 3:08 AM

[quote] And yet, I would rather watch this than a network cop or doctor show.

I've gotten to the point where I would rather watch campy shows like this more than cop and doctor shows.

by Anonymousreply 31October 6, 2021 3:11 AM

I always heard about the La Brea tar pits when I was a kid in LA. I thought they were actually still there and you could get stuck in them like quicksand.

by Anonymousreply 32October 6, 2021 3:50 AM

Is La Brea related to La Belle?

by Anonymousreply 33October 6, 2021 4:48 AM

Should I DVR this show?

It sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 34October 8, 2021 1:27 AM

This show is a complete joke.

by Anonymousreply 35October 8, 2021 1:47 AM

Episode Update. The fat son got his medicine. The Idiot Daughter is worthless and apparently going to fly with her crazy father into the light. The Lesbby cop has a son...The mute girl is a talker...The weedhead Indian seems to have an endless supply of weed. The dinosaur dogs are still running loose. The gay couple are neither attractive or watchable (seriously you they couldn't find a HOT gay couple on their way to the gym before falling into the sinkhole?)...And the Navy Seal is a liar--he cannot possibly be a seal because he is too stupid to even take care of himself. .....ALL CAUGHT UP...

by Anonymousreply 36October 8, 2021 6:13 AM

R36 I’m willing to keep watching as long as you keep recapping.

by Anonymousreply 37October 8, 2021 6:31 AM

The most unattractive and boring gays in LA. Couldn’t they have made them Sam Cushing and Andrew Neighbors and have them Instagraming from the big hole from beyond as they’re secret way of communicating?

by Anonymousreply 38October 8, 2021 6:34 AM

R37 = See you next week!!

by Anonymousreply 39October 8, 2021 6:34 AM

This series took DL quite seriously when it asked to "present hole."

by Anonymousreply 40October 8, 2021 7:21 AM

R32. I grew up in LA and we would visit the tar pits along with LACMA which is adjacent.

The tar pits are still very much there and they keep finding bones in it. LA's first known homicide was discovered in the pits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 8, 2021 7:28 AM

What A Ho!

by Anonymousreply 42October 8, 2021 7:36 AM

Eoin Macken is still easy on the eye. Why I most certainly would you know!

by Anonymousreply 43October 8, 2021 9:07 AM

How do we know that the La Brea tar pits weren't just a very large cesspool?

by Anonymousreply 44October 8, 2021 3:41 PM

Because it would be in New Jersey

by Anonymousreply 45October 8, 2021 3:51 PM

I knew I saw the hot daddy pilot somewhere before . He was Gwaine in the gaybaiting DL fave series Merlin.

And why the mom look like a poor man's Blake Lively?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2021 11:45 AM

Where do you get your tar?

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2021 12:35 PM

What a shit show!

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2021 1:42 PM

This show is so bad. First episode was pathetic and laughable. This will make "Lost" look like "Gone With the Wind" in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2021 1:52 PM

Natalie Zea should just give up acting and go into teaching or something. She’s relentlessly mediocre and will never be in a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2021 1:56 PM

The son is a Tik-Tok star.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2021 2:00 PM

R51 = He sure isn't an acting star. Pix make him look cute. But falling thru that light made him FAT for some reason. At least Melrose Place fired their first Billy when he showed up fat....

by Anonymousreply 52October 10, 2021 9:33 AM

When confronted by the wolf, mom’s first instinct was to tell her son to RUN - which is about the worst thing you can do when confronting a predator.

Not learning any lessons from her son’s mauling, when confronted by an even larger sabretoothed cat she again yells RUN!! Thus setting off another pursuit bound to end in death.

by Anonymousreply 53October 10, 2021 2:58 PM

R53, I had the exact same conversation in my living room, LOL. I decided to continue hate-watching the show as long as it lasts.

by Anonymousreply 54October 10, 2021 3:01 PM

R53 That’s the Mom’s catch phrase in this show, she said it to the daughter as the sink hole consumed LA.

by Anonymousreply 55October 10, 2021 4:01 PM

I've watched both episodes. The show has a very basic cable, shot in Canada look about it. I like Natalie Zea, so I'm going to give it a shot. But I'm not sure why network shows have forgotten how to make shows look good and cast pretty people.

by Anonymousreply 56October 10, 2021 4:14 PM

It’s actually shot in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 57October 10, 2021 4:16 PM

They should have hired some New Zealanders for the CGI.

by Anonymousreply 58October 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Looks like a LOST + STRANGER THINGS ripoff.

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2021 4:58 PM

5.1/10 rating on IMDB.

La Brea is Spanish for "the tar," so when people say the La Brea tar pits they're calling them "the the tar tar pits." Which I guess indicates the stammering terror with which they strike the people of the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2021 5:01 PM

I want someone to do TikToks with that “Run” sound bite for every scene the mother does saying it.

by Anonymousreply 61October 10, 2021 5:25 PM

Isn't the natural instinct to run? In spite of not running being the best option.

by Anonymousreply 62October 10, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]The sink hole isn’t even on La Brea, it's on Wilshire...

Where the LA BREA TAR PITS are located.

by Anonymousreply 63October 10, 2021 5:30 PM

She’s kind of a helicopter Mom, so I think she feels it’s her responsibility to always announce it with great emphasis.

by Anonymousreply 64October 10, 2021 5:31 PM

If you’re lived in LA one talks about street and boulevards by their singular name such as “Fairfax,” “Robertson,” or the infamous “Melrose.” You don’t usually refer to the museum as just “La Brea,” but you would the street. This show would be more aptly named “Wilshire!”

by Anonymousreply 65October 10, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote]This show would be more aptly named “Wilshire!”

Except it is about the tar pits and the prehistoric animals found within.

by Anonymousreply 66October 10, 2021 10:16 PM

Well, a show about the golden age of LA department stores could be called “Wilshire!”

by Anonymousreply 67October 10, 2021 10:20 PM

This show is so fucking horrible!!!!

Make it stop, please!!!

by Anonymousreply 68October 10, 2021 10:41 PM

RECAP.....Fat Son got better--but not thinner. Food is being rationed until giant DinoSloth stops over and eats it all.Weedy Indian knows they are in the past. Lezzby Cops Son has a bad lezzby attitude like his mother. Hot Dad has a flashback and is worthless beyond his hot looks. Hot Dads semi hot friend Delgado shows up to pilot. Lezzby finds her son and they team up in the woods. Seal wants med school dropout daughter Riley to operate on him (and really who wouldn't).. Momma Eve has her first black friend, Ty. DinoBear chases them and Eve gets to use her "RUN" catchphrase...They end up in a cave and Lezzby and Son are there.. Fat Son watches gay couple from a distance--is he sexually curious? Bisexual? Trans?. Fat son and Riley operate while Weedy Indian watches. Hot Daddy, Delgado and Eve were in a love triangle years ago. Is Fat Son going to end up with a new daddy? Seal is cured mere minutes after his operation--from paralyzed to wiggling his toes!! A Miracle!!. Eve and crew get out of the cave and find Mushrooms--but not the fun kind---and take them to the camp. Lezzby cop killed her ex husband proving she has Lezzby Cred. Ty is dying (wow--they really are ripping off Lost) and confesses to Eve. She confesses she was "seeing someone" when her daughters accident happened. Delgado goes into the light and the Government idiots are "surprised" when the plane goes offline---like every drone and every other aircraft they have sent thru the light for years. Delgado Parachuted out and is fine so Eve will be getting laid soon--which will be kind of sexy since Hot Daddy will be watching from 2021--a whole new spin on a threeway!!.....All Caught Up!!.....video = FAT SON interviewed at 11 min mark...There is a reason he is wearing a black tee and they are not showing his waist..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 13, 2021 2:25 AM

He’s not fat.

by Anonymousreply 70October 13, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote]They did this in the 1970's. It was called "Land of the Lost."

Saw something very similar years ago on BBCAmerica, it was called PRIMEVIL. It ran from 2007-2011, not sure how many seasons BBC America aired

by Anonymousreply 71October 13, 2021 2:36 AM

R69 Not bad, but you forgot to mention the height of character development for the Gay couple this week was that they eat grass. That’s it, the whole episode, they eat grass. Thanks for highlighting Mamma’s catch phrase “Run!” I’ve asked some TikTokers to incorporate that sound bite with show footage, but no one’s taken me up on it. Also, they found a long dead suicide body in the cave and he was wearing a community college sweatshirt or something so they know he’s from present day. This really seems like something that should be on Saturday morning TV quailitywise, the CGI and effects are the present day equivalent of those that Marshall, Will and Holly had on their show. I’m waiting for the pylons to be discovered.

by Anonymousreply 72October 13, 2021 1:37 PM

Any guess on which episode Cha-Ka shows up?

by Anonymousreply 73October 13, 2021 5:47 PM

How can you assholes not like a show with both Jon Seda and Nicholas Gonzalez in it???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 13, 2021 6:10 PM

I love how people refuse to believe they’ve traveled in time after falling through a sinkhole into another world. A hidden world and sky beneath LA? Sure. Time travel? Don’t be ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2021 4:41 AM

So many of them have guns and yet nobody shot DinoSloth?....He could have been their dinner. The government and Hot Daddy have known about these Light Gateways for years and studied them. Why would they start crying and assuming Delgado died just because his plane went offline when it went into the light?. For years the government has been sending planes and drones into the light and they always go offline. Why would Delgado be any different? An "experimental" plane but what makes it experimental? . Also after Mommy reveals she got knocked up by Delgado---which one of her kids will end up with a new daddy? My guess is Fat Son.

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2021 5:16 AM

How the fuck is this happening? I heard them announce it and I assumed they meant just on NBC, but it’s the lead of all the new shows? They can’t all be hate watching it like us can they?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2021 7:23 AM

R77 = It's ratings are only being propped up by The Voice. Trust me---this show is tanking in the spring. And it is the "highest rated new show"---among LOW rated shows. That's like saying you are the smartest person on Fox News. It ain't that special.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2021 10:28 AM

Eoin Macken is a major dish, that's for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2021 10:46 AM

R78 They are signing songs about La Brea on another show? Beyond the theme to Land of the Lost, what possible songs could they be doing that would encourage people to watch it?

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2021 1:04 PM

The boy is not fat. He just has womanly hips and a face like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote] Eoin Macken is a major dish, that's for sure.

For sure. Who's his boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2021 5:56 PM

La Brea Premiere episode = 6.20 million viewers...........Episode 3 (Oct 12) = 5.09 million viewers....La Brea is losing viewers. And again--the show is propped up by The Voice ratings...Fat Son better start looking for a gym membership and an acting coach.

by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2021 3:20 AM

How is the Voice singing it’s praises and why would anyone follow their reviews of TV shows?

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2021 3:26 AM

They had a long shot of fat son this week, he's not fat and I think he's kinda hot. I'd let him stick it in me ( not like that would put him in an exclusive club or anything, but... just sayin')

I really like Natalie Zea, but she's aged or it's the makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2021 3:34 AM

So, does the lost leg girl actress really have a prosthetic and did they CGI the image with her having a before leg? And if she doesn’t, how is the differently abled audience not coming for this show?

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 3:38 AM

Wait a minute, are they saying that only people with missing legs can play people with missing legs?

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 3:40 AM

R85 = No Joke...That picture is BEFORE his Covid weight gain. In the first episode he was wearing jeans and a shirt AND a tee shirt after Dino attacked him and the blubber was rolling out from under his tee shirt when he was lying on the ground. That is how we saw he was fat...Is he obese? No. But Fat? Yes....Mystery Solved.

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 3:54 AM

Just so we're clear, I like that we call him Fat Son. I just don't think he's fat, but you're right he may have a few Covid #s going on.

by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 4:03 AM

Maybe he really liked the food down under?

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 4:17 AM

I watched the first episode and it was so bad I was laughing all the way through it.

by Anonymousreply 91October 15, 2021 5:31 AM

He was never fat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 15, 2021 5:34 AM

I have no idea how you weirdos are calling Jack Martin "fat."

He's nowhere near being fat.

Jack is definitely an attractive guy, but his looks are very nondescript.

Wouldn't stop me from sucking him off, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 15, 2021 8:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!