Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How long does it take to improve cardiovascular fitness?

I used to be in shape, oh, I don't know, fifteen years ago, but in the interim I've become a fat whore and I'm in terrible physical condition. (I lift, but do nothing for cardio.)

As I work on the fourteenth floor, I have started to use the stairs every day, multiple times. I can make it up maybe five stories before getting seriously winded, and I'm out of breath by the time I get to my office. I've started taking the elevator to the fifth floor and then walking up the rest of the way. I've been doing this for five days.

My ultimate goal is to take the stairs up all 20 floors, without stopping, and without getting seriously winded.

Realistically, how long will this take?

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2022 2:57 PM

Stick with it. If you do it 3-4 times a week, you will be bounding up to the 20th floor by Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 1October 4, 2021 10:08 PM

How old are you, piggie? 🐷

Congrats for making the change!

by Anonymousreply 2October 4, 2021 10:12 PM

You know how they say check with your physician before you start an exercise program, OP? Well, if your arteries are clogged because you've eaten crap food and become a fat whore, you are making things worse by forcing blood through clogged arteries with aerobic exercise. You need a calcium CT. It is the best predictor of a cardiovascular event. If you have a zero score, you can do whatever aerobic exercise you want with total abandon. If you have a higher score, you'd better get that remedied first. Keeling over on the stairs is no fun.

by Anonymousreply 3October 4, 2021 10:14 PM

I'm 38, r2.

by Anonymousreply 4October 4, 2021 10:17 PM

r3 I don't meet any of these criteria:

You have heart disease.

You have type 1 or type 2 diabetes.

You have kidney disease.

You have arthritis.

You're being treated for cancer, or you've recently completed cancer treatment.

You have high blood pressure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 4, 2021 10:22 PM

I walk the stairs in my building, as well, OP....if you do it every day, multiple times a day, I'm sure you will make your goal within 30 days...it doesn't take long for your body to react to exercise. Just temper your diet as well, so you make progress on all fronts. Good luck...don't give up.

by Anonymousreply 6October 4, 2021 10:26 PM

Thanks r6!

by Anonymousreply 7October 4, 2021 10:27 PM

Good for your, OP. Keep it up...

by Anonymousreply 8October 4, 2021 10:29 PM

I would say to work on your diet as well. The extra weight is hard on everything, including your knees, etc.

I actually like stairclimbing as an exercise.

I would say: don't walk *down* the stairs - very bad on your knees. (Walking up is the point, though.)

by Anonymousreply 9October 4, 2021 10:35 PM

OP on the stairway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 4, 2021 11:01 PM

It depends on how overweight you are. If you're just 30lbs overweight it shouldn't take long but if you're considerably heavier than your ideal weight it isn't going to be much easier until you lose a significant portion of that.

by Anonymousreply 11October 4, 2021 11:23 PM

I'm about 25 lbs overweight r11

by Anonymousreply 12October 4, 2021 11:34 PM

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2021 3:45 PM

Day 6 and it's getting SLIGHTLY easier

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2021 9:56 PM

I used to be a medical writer. I once did an article for Mayo that reported climbing stairs instead of taking the elevator or escalator is the best cardio. Just always choose stairs whenever you can. Doesn’t have to be for hours at a time to get the benefits. Ever since I wrote it, I always take the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2021 10:40 PM

r15 it's helpful for me because it doesn't require any planning and it's goal-oriented (accessing my office is crucial). I can work it into my day and have no excuses for not doing it. Going to the gym requires effort and some days I can't find the time/motivation.

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2021 10:45 PM

Good luck...you fat whore!

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] I once did an article for Mayo

You wrote for mayonnaise?

by Anonymousreply 18October 6, 2021 3:16 AM

You'll be dead by the 7th floor.

by Anonymousreply 19October 6, 2021 3:17 AM

r19 MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20October 6, 2021 12:07 PM

Still alive, and while going up 10+ floors is still very difficult, it doesn't seem impossible like it did only a couple of weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2021 7:45 PM

woohoo OP...another couple of weeks and you'll be sprinting. Those extra 25 lbs will be gone and you'll be back to being steaming hot. Stay with it!

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2021 7:59 PM

Exercise doesn't make anyone thinner--it's almost all about completely changing your diet

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2021 8:08 PM

In my experience, it helps me maintain my weight even if my diet is crap, r23

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2021 8:09 PM

Yes, exercise is mainly for maintenance, not losing weight.

There are far more calories in every bite than you will lose by exercising.

by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2021 8:16 PM

Starve yourself 3 days of a week but drink lotsa water. Take sildenafil and theophylline every day - they help improve global cardiac function and reduces dyspnea in chronic obstructive lung disease.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2021 8:19 PM

I know that just taking the stairs won't make me lose weight; however, I'm hoping that improving my physical fitness will motivate me to eat better

by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2021 2:46 PM

Anything you do to improve your diet and get you in the habit of exercising is going to improve your cardiovascular fitness and just your overall health. The keys are to make whatever changes sensible and sustainable. If the only vegetables you can stand are green beans and carrots and the only exercise you enjoy is a walk around the block, try making them daily habits. If you get tired of them, try alternative vegetables and forms of exercise. Easy does it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2021 3:34 PM

I walk up 20 flights of stairs three times a day!

by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2021 3:38 PM

I'm not finding the actual ascent getting easier (or if it is, I haven't noticed because I'm still huffing and puffing). But the time it takes my heart rate to return to normal is lessening.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 9:45 PM

Hey OP...hows the routine? Feeling better?

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2021 2:54 PM

Yes, r31, although I came down with a nasty cold Thursday (not COVID, already tested negative) and I took a break for a couple of days.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2021 2:58 PM

[quote]My ultimate goal is to take the stairs up all 20 floors

Why, is there a bakery on the 20th floor?

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2021 3:33 PM

Thanks r33! No, it's just the principle of it for me.

I'm starting to run up every third flight of stairs during my ascent ... makes it faster but I get more winded (obviously)

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 3:15 PM

I agree that for your overall health it really is true that you are what you eat. If you aren't regularly eating vegetables start doing so, knocking on 40 is a perfect time to start being more serious about your health. Get rid of the sugar.

Download the pacer app. It will let you keep track of how many steps you are getting in each day.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 3:24 PM

OP, how do you know you don't have heart disease?

If you're male and average height I can't believe you're making such a fuss over of a 25 lb gain. That's pretty easy to lose and anything that gets you moving will help your cardio.

38 is pretty young to die from drama queen-itis.

Best of luck.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 3:33 PM

Your heart will never get better, that's what a heart doctor once told me, but you can stabilize it for a few more years. If your heart is deteriorating then your kidneys will die out soon. The sad, final days befall you.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 3:34 PM

I am OP's supervisor. He was found DEAD on the stairwell of the 14th floor Friday. Thoughts and Prayers are welcome. We are meeting at our local Pizza Hut for a memorial lunch two weeks from Tuesday. Ginny from accounting has her baby shower there this Tuesday so we had to delay it.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 4:16 PM

You bitches are relentless!

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 4:18 PM

I am rooting for you, OP!!!

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 5:40 PM

That's right, R37, once the heart cells die off, e.g., from a heart attack, they don't regenerate. The point of heart bypass surgeries and other heart related procedures, medication, etc., is to restore proper channels of blood to the heart to PREVENT heart attacks.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 6:02 PM

I was able to get from floor 1 to floor 20 this morning without stopping. For some reason, it got easier when I hit floor 15 -- maybe it was the adrenaline.

by Anonymousreply 42October 18, 2021 5:45 PM

OP that has happened to me a few times. I use a stepper at home, and I usually try to get about 45-60 minutes on it. Now, around the 25 minute mark, I get tired, legs start to ache and I want to quit. But I power through it and suddenly I'm doing the rest feeling stronger and even energized. Just remember to go at a reasonable pace neither too fast or too slow. And as you get close to your goal, start the slow down/cool down process. Do not stop abruptly.

by Anonymousreply 43October 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Thanks r43!

by Anonymousreply 44October 18, 2021 6:14 PM

OP here! I fell off the stairs, er, wagon, over winter. But this summer I FINALLY started going to the gym again and really focusing on cardio.

I am happy to report I can climb all 20 stories now and not pass out, nor am I seriously winded like I was a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2022 7:07 PM

Congrats OP.

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2022 7:33 PM

Thanks r46.

I've also lost weight (maybe 15 lbs) since spring, which has made the ascent easier as well.

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2022 7:36 PM

Interesting. I live on the 4th floor, work on the 8th. I take the stairs at home every single day. One day a few months ago, I decided to take the stairs at work for fun. I was out of breath by the 6th, huffing and puffing by the 8th. Couldn't believe my body's reaction to a few extra flights.

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2022 7:37 PM

Well done OP, how did you lose the weight?

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2022 8:40 PM

Eating ... significantly less and working out almost every day, r49. I alternated cardio and lifting.

I was really eating terribly in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2022 8:42 PM

You'll have to post a sexy shirtless pic x

by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2022 8:50 PM

Lol r51 ... not there yet

by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2022 9:04 PM

I tried to rejuvenate by walking. Helped with a transition but ultimately not effective for significant improvement. Started on elliptical and built up to 2 miles. The shifted to treadmill. In 6 months, dramatic improvement - back to where I was 15 years ago after 10 years of abandoning all health efforts.

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2022 9:04 PM

Good for you r53!

I'm able to run for almost 15 minutes without stopping now -- which is a VAST improvement. But I long for my early 20s, when I could run five or seven miles, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2022 9:08 PM

r53 you inspire me

by Anonymousreply 55September 7, 2022 12:40 AM

well done OP!!! i remember this thread from way back when.

as a former obese fatty turned athlete/gym rat myself i’ve always found the mantra: if it is uncomfortable/slightly painful it means it’s working. NOT super uncomfortable or super painful, to be clear; the sweet spot when working out is that feeling of vague yet ultimately tolerable discomfort.

by Anonymousreply 56September 7, 2022 12:53 AM

Good philosophy, r56

by Anonymousreply 57September 7, 2022 8:18 AM

OP Do you still sweat when you eat?

by Anonymousreply 58September 7, 2022 12:56 PM

One point, inspired by R3. If anyone is thinking to emulate OP, please make sure your nearby colleagues know you have started taking the stairs, so if something does go wrong and you don't show up at your desk, people know to check the stairwell. And take your phone with you.

by Anonymousreply 59September 7, 2022 1:33 PM

R59 Well if that bit of advice doesn’t put OP off then nothing will lol

by Anonymousreply 60September 7, 2022 2:36 PM

LOL, it sounds like OP has settled into it and is doing fine. But someone reading might have more undiagnosed issues than OP.

by Anonymousreply 61September 7, 2022 2:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!