Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My friends and I just watched ‘Titanic’ for the first time

It’s been a while since I’ve cried this much. God. When Rose realizes Jack is dead, I lost it. Me and my boyfriend held hands crying during that moment. It was so heartbreaking. And knowing this is a true story? Terrifying. I can only imagine what those people felt that night! I kept trying to imagine the fear they felt.

There is a scene where a woman is putting her two children to sleep, knowing they’re all going to die. That broke my heart. And the musicians who played until the very end and then say it’s been a privilege when they’re done, knowing it’s most likely their final time? I couldn’t stop crying.

I can only imagine all the tears you all shed while watching it in the theater when it came out in the 90s!

PS I loved Kate in this. Her beautiful Snow White skin with the red hair? Beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485October 27, 2021 12:06 PM

Meh.

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2021 8:28 PM

MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2021 8:29 PM

[quote]Me and my boyfriend held hands crying during that moment.

Instead of crying you should have been learning proper grammar together.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2021 8:29 PM

...and boy do we have questions!

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2021 8:30 PM

Aww, I like you two. This slightly thawed my ice cold heart for a moment.

Have a beautiful day, lovebirds.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2021 8:36 PM

It's not a true story (Jack and Rose), OP. Sorry if that's not what you meant, because obviously the Titanic sinking was real, but that's what it sounded like.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2021 8:37 PM

R6 oh I meant the Titanic sinking. The idea of being there makes my heart race and gives me anxiety. I could only imagine what those people felt that night, especially back then before technology was a real thing.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2021 8:39 PM

Please tell me you watched this at a special cinema screening? Or at least on bluray on a 60+ inch tv?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2021 8:41 PM

Terrible movie that needed an hour cut out of it. Also, Rose's stupid decisions caused Jack's death. If she had stayed in the lifeboat, Jack could have saved himself. Instead she let him die.

Oh, but she always loved him. Fat lot of good that does a frozen corpse.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2021 8:42 PM

R9 that scene was sweet but she was an idiot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2021 8:45 PM

OP ignore all the gimlet-eyed bitches who would deny you your feelings and your tender moments watching this film with your husband

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2021 8:45 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2021 8:46 PM

Rose could've made some room on that wooden plank for slight Jack. But no, her fat ass had to monopolize the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2021 8:55 PM

He tried to climb on but it tipped.

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2021 8:55 PM

R9 Oh! But his death taught her that instead of being a snooty rich bitch, be a snooty rich women who rides horses and flies planes! Banging the poor and watching them die taught her life’s too short to be stuck up!

Titanic is a great fantasy for white fraus! It’s actually the opposite of the typical frau fantasy, which is usually a handsome dangerous man finds a plane Jane irresistible (Twilight, 50 Shades, anything on Lifetime). This angle was a bit different, a poor man and a trapped rich woman. And then he dies for her senselessly at the end, which women love.

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2021 8:55 PM

And then the old bitch throws away the family fortune into the sea. Fuck the fact that her family could have used it. No, she had to be sentimental and selfish. First she pretty much causes Jack's death, then she fucks her family. Nice lady.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2021 9:01 PM

I hope you didn't drop tne mug you were cradling when you watched it, OP!

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2021 9:04 PM

R14, he could've ridden piggyback on Rose. Compared to him, she was hefty enough.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2021 9:10 PM

There used to be a poster on here who would hilariously bemoan "wooden" Gloria Stuart getting cast in this instead of his beloved Olivia DeHavilland..

"The true shame is that Olivia deHavilland should have played the part of Rose in Titanic. It would have been a full circle moment for her illustrious career that began with the blockbuster of that time, Gone With the Wind. NAd she certainly would have won the Academy Award. Instead, that asswipe James Cameron foisted that Stuart amateur on an unsuspecting public and sold her as some long-forgotten treasure of the Golden Age of Hollywood. No one even knew who the hell she was when she was sporadically and pathetically working in B movies in the 1930s. Ridiculous really."

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2021 9:15 PM

The script offers some of the most embarrassing dialogue heard in a major studio film. Leo's character is laughably underwritten and Billy Zane's character is a villain out of some 1940s WB cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2021 9:21 PM

I love the scene where Kate manhandles Leo. She actually lifts his bony twink body in a "come to mama!" scene that I believe was supposed to be erotic.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2021 9:23 PM

I miss this beautiful, theatre-lesbian Leo, wandering the quad after rehearsal, still in costume, looking for that bi-curious poon.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2021 9:26 PM

A. Leo was chained to a pipe that Kate saved him from with an axe. He would've died anyway without her... she saved him first.

B. Anyone feel a lot of the characterization was ripped from "Far And Away"? Less Irish, obviously, but even the styling.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2021 9:26 PM

Cameron should have just written a story outline, then handed off to someone like Richard LaGravenese to come up with the dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2021 9:28 PM

The more interesting version. The ship they filmed on was later sunk by a Russian sub and drowned four times as many who died on Titanic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2021 9:35 PM

It should be watched as a lesbian romance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2021 9:36 PM

Funny but telling that Leo is embarrassed by his performance in Titanic, as that's last time he appeared so effortlessly charismatic and playful. Ever since, he's been ACTING with little subtlety and nuance.

by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote] It should be watched as a lesbian romance.

Lesbians would have MacGuyvered some sort of flotation device from strips of wood and rusty nails.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2021 9:43 PM

[quote] There is a scene where a woman is putting her two children to sleep, knowing they’re all going to die. That broke my heart. And the musicians who played until the very end and then say it’s been a privilege when they’re done, knowing it’s most likely their final time? I couldn’t stop crying.

OP I agree that scene always tugs at my heartstrings. That and the end which is either Rose's dream or dead Rose depending on your interpretation.

It's weird to say this for a movie that was the biggest blockbuster of my life, but Titanic has become underrated.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2021 9:45 PM

R27 because he takes himself too seriously and loves himself more than anyone else does.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2021 9:46 PM

R29 oh, Titanic has nothing on me when it comes to becoming underrated

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2021 9:47 PM

R27 This Catch Me If You Can erasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2021 9:47 PM

R30 I didn’t think he took himself too seriously in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. He actually seemed to be poking fun at himself.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2021 9:51 PM

Maybe he is finally lightening up r33?

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2021 9:52 PM

Kate was stunning in this movie. Can’t believe THIS was considered fat back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2021 9:52 PM

If they made Titanic today, Timothee and Saoirse would play Jack and Rose.

by Anonymousreply 36October 3, 2021 9:54 PM

R36, I assume he would play Rose.

by Anonymousreply 37October 3, 2021 9:55 PM

R35 I found her beautiful too, but my stepfather found her ugly in the movie, during awards season, and ever since.

by Anonymousreply 38October 3, 2021 9:55 PM

R36 agree. And if made around a decade ago it would be Bradley Cooper and J Law

by Anonymousreply 39October 3, 2021 9:56 PM

R35 Heroin chic was in at the time.

by Anonymousreply 40October 3, 2021 10:00 PM

R39 I shudder at the thought of JLaw and BCoop in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 41October 3, 2021 10:06 PM

"There is a scene where a woman is putting her two children to sleep, knowing they’re all going to die."

It's an experience you really can't explain.

by Anonymousreply 42October 3, 2021 10:07 PM

The special effects and attention to detail viz. the interiors was amazing. I should know. I went down a rabbit hole with RMS Titanic with the first episode of Time Tunnel back in 1967. For years I pored over illustrations and photos of the interior.

by Anonymousreply 43October 3, 2021 10:13 PM

I was always fascinated by the Titanic, and after this film became massive it was Titanic mania.

by Anonymousreply 44October 3, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] The special effects and attention to detail viz. the interiors was amazing.

I followed the building of the movie's Titanic replica and I really would have liked to see the result on the big screen. But the combination of Leo's punchable face and Celine Dion's wailing meant to this day I've never watched that damn movie. As with Leo's other movies I doubt I ever shall.

by Anonymousreply 45October 3, 2021 10:21 PM

I am going to assume (or rather, hope) that OP and his friends are in middle school. If they are older than 15, I am deeply concerned for OP and his boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 46October 3, 2021 10:22 PM

Olivia de Havilland and Fay Wray were both approached privately to see whether they would be interested in playing Old Rose. Both women were in their late 90s and in poor health and neither had any interest in a part that would involve at least six weeks of location shooting on the ocean.

Wray did accept a cameo in Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong. She was to play an old lady who approaches the producer on the street looking at Kong's body and would have said the final line "'Twas beauty that killed the beast." She died before the scene could be filmed.

by Anonymousreply 47October 3, 2021 10:24 PM

I saw Titanic opening night at the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood opening night in 1997. One of few truly magical evenings in a movie theatre. I recall, before we meet Jack, we get a flash of Leo's eyes as Rose remembers him sketching her. When those beautiful eyes flashed on screen, you could hear the audience hitch in a breath. He was that stunning.

And I remember just loving Kathy Bates as Molly Brown. Such a nice, light and fun touch. And her delight at a dressed up Jack saying "...and now I'm here with you fine people" to all the snobs at the table.

Most of all, what I remember is the quiet. In that massive, sold out audience after the ship is gone, and the life boats have moved away, there wasn't A SOUND from that audience, except for an occasional sob.

Just an exhilarating experience. The thing is, subsequent viewings really tend to diminish it. It's a movie meant to be enjoyed once. It's shortcomings become too clear with repeated viewings.

by Anonymousreply 48October 3, 2021 10:27 PM

[quote]There is a scene where a woman is putting her two children to sleep, knowing they’re all going to die.

That woman was Vasquez from Aliens.

by Anonymousreply 49October 3, 2021 10:28 PM

r3 at least OP is loved, something you'll never have in your miserable life.

by Anonymousreply 50October 3, 2021 10:29 PM

[quote]And then the old bitch throws away the family fortune into the sea. Fuck the fact that her family could have used it. No, she had to be sentimental and selfish. First she pretty much causes Jack's death, then she fucks her family. Nice lady.

Rose was not the rightful owner of that diamond necklace, if it had been discovered that she had it, Cal's (Billy Zane) family would've been legally entitled to it.

by Anonymousreply 51October 3, 2021 10:31 PM

I till say Leo and Billy Zane should have switched roles.

by Anonymousreply 52October 3, 2021 10:32 PM

r39 Bradley Cooper still would've been way too old a decade ago..

by Anonymousreply 53October 3, 2021 10:33 PM

I sobbed and sobbed when I saw this as a high school gayling in the 90s.

MARY indeed.

by Anonymousreply 54October 3, 2021 10:33 PM

Leo was so coked up that Jack would have been just fine in the cold water.

by Anonymousreply 55October 3, 2021 10:34 PM

r47 Olivia de Havilland and Fay Wray were not in their late 90s at the time, Wray was 89 and de Havilland was 80.

by Anonymousreply 56October 3, 2021 10:35 PM

R47, Olivia de Havilland was around 80 when Titanic was filmed and Fay Wray was in her late 80s.

by Anonymousreply 57October 3, 2021 10:35 PM

I have never seen Titanic, neither that I intend to. Can’t stand these romantic movies. Never could.

And I’m partnered and happy, not that I don’t believe in love. It’s just that Hollywood always fails miserably when trying to portray love. No one sacrifices themselves for someone they met, what, three days ago? It’s a movie for fraus and 15 years old cheerleaders.

And I know the ending anyway so oh well, I don’t feel I’m losing that much.

by Anonymousreply 58October 3, 2021 10:35 PM

Hey R56, jinx!

by Anonymousreply 59October 3, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote] de Havilland was 80.

She was 80, but she looked 100!

by Anonymousreply 60October 3, 2021 10:36 PM

You're all a bunch of miserable bitter losers. It's a stunning movie, a good old-fashioned epic. One of the last of its kind, and the last one to close out the 20th Century.

I was in college at the time and Titanic was huge with people in my age group, many people saw it multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 61October 3, 2021 10:37 PM

Sweet, OP. My husband and I watched Brokeback Mountain last night and had much the same experience as you two with Titanic. For about 30 minutes. Until Wrigleyville cumdump arrived and we got high and blew out his ass.

by Anonymousreply 62October 3, 2021 10:39 PM

I stand corrected about their ages but neither actress was interested in doing the role. They were approached.

by Anonymousreply 63October 3, 2021 10:40 PM

De Havilland would’ve been amazing. She had a wonderful warm voice.

by Anonymousreply 64October 3, 2021 10:40 PM

I was in my late 20s when this came out, and I remember being so happy when the ship finally hit the iceberg. This movie was a slog. I want every character except Molly Brown to die. I actually lived just down the street from her house at the time.

by Anonymousreply 65October 3, 2021 10:40 PM

There was room for Jack on the door if Rose had skootched her lard ass and big feet over a bit. Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 66October 3, 2021 10:40 PM

I'm surprised a big fat gal like Rose didn't snap that case of rickets in two when she fucked him the back seat.

by Anonymousreply 67October 3, 2021 10:40 PM

This movie is a huge turd, and OP, not only are you a Mary, you're a stupid Mary.

by Anonymousreply 68October 3, 2021 10:41 PM

It's a shame Bette Davis wasn't alive, she could've played Old Rose. Kate Winslet even resembled a young Davis.

by Anonymousreply 69October 3, 2021 10:41 PM

All you haters can kiss my ass!

by Anonymousreply 70October 3, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote] Lesbians would have MacGuyvered some sort of flotation device from strips of wood and rusty nails.

AND they would have saved the dogs…

by Anonymousreply 71October 3, 2021 10:44 PM

The movie is not a huge turd. Cameron knows how to entertain. The movie is a good one and an eyeful. All of his movies are.

His sensibility is a bit plebian of course, with little ambiguity and usually more than a little flyover machismo on display, but he’s not Jerzy Grotowsky. He makes big gorgeous entertaining movies for the masses. I’m more than fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 72October 3, 2021 10:45 PM

OP, did also shed a tear for all that wonderful thick intact Irish cock going to waste in steerage? Many people easily often overlook the loss of potential hot trade.

by Anonymousreply 73October 3, 2021 10:45 PM

They should have cast Phyliss Diller in the Old Rose role. She would have only been 80 at the time. She didn't get enough credit for her dramatic work. She would have nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 74October 3, 2021 10:46 PM

^^^ plebeian

by Anonymousreply 75October 3, 2021 10:46 PM

Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 76October 3, 2021 10:47 PM

It was a huge turd as far as I'm concerned. Unless utter schlock is to be excused because it's entertaining to not very bright people.

by Anonymousreply 77October 3, 2021 10:47 PM

I thought the old lady dropped it into the ocean in the end.

Well, baby, I went down and got it for you

Aww, you shouldn't have.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 3, 2021 10:48 PM

Kate Winslet was NO young Gloria Stuart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2021 10:48 PM

R51, as Caledon Hockley gifted Rose DeWitt Bukater the Heart of the Ocean, she owned it. He removed it from the safe unbeknownst to her in an Indian give.

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2021 10:49 PM

Them falling in love with each other in less than two days is a weak point of the film. Maybe if she had met him while he was sketching in London or Paris and he followed her or something like that, it would have been better artistically. Instead, it was preposterous. The way that they met was beyond ridiculous. It’s a testament to Cameron’s massive ego that he didn’t hand over the screenwriting duties over to somebody more competent than he…

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2021 10:49 PM

R77 wins the DL pretentious bottom of the day award.

What do we have for him, Johnny?

by Anonymousreply 82October 3, 2021 10:50 PM

It was not a huge turd. It was an epic turd. Too long, too corny, took it's own sweet time to get to what everybody came to see: terrible death!

by Anonymousreply 83October 3, 2021 10:53 PM

R69 Kate’s entrance in Titanic reminds me of Bette’s entrance in Now, Voyager

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84October 3, 2021 10:53 PM

An leddus nod fo-ged dah beau-dddiful tones of de greatess singer in da world!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85October 3, 2021 10:54 PM

R81 That’s why you have to give props to Kate and Leo, they sold the romance.

by Anonymousreply 86October 3, 2021 10:55 PM

Kate’s performance is perfect, I will admit that. She’s my favorite contemporary actress.

by Anonymousreply 87October 3, 2021 10:56 PM

Remember when Hollywood kept pushing BCoop and JLaw on us? I remember seeing interviews when they were promoting Serena and numerous interviewers said they’re this generations Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, who were their generations Doris Day and Rock Hudson.

I would role my eyes.

Thank God Serena destroyed it all.

by Anonymousreply 88October 3, 2021 10:58 PM

She is one of my favourite actresses now, for sure. I think she will evolve into the next Meryl... the go to for the important parts with the power to select things for fun, too. I have no idea who will be her Glenn. Come to that, Glenn may be her Glenn as I gather Glenn won't retire or die until she gets that Best Actress Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 89October 3, 2021 10:58 PM

Have I had a stroke because R88 makes no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 90October 3, 2021 10:59 PM

I saw Titanic opening weekend and it felt like an event, and yet the film hadn't yet become the pop culture moment that it would ultimately become.

I have the 3D Blu-Ray. Apparently, it looks stunning but I'm going to wait until next year - the film's 25th (!) anniversary to watch it.

I agree that it would have been nice to see Olivia as older Rose. I didn't care for Gloria Stuart. Glad Kim snatched that Oscar from her.

by Anonymousreply 91October 3, 2021 10:59 PM

And that's before I get to whoever is playing the part of the role of the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 92October 3, 2021 10:59 PM

Gloria Stuart was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 93October 3, 2021 11:02 PM

It’s sad epic romances like this don’t get made anymore.

by Anonymousreply 94October 3, 2021 11:02 PM

I lived in Topeka Kansas and I was determined to see this movie on opening day...I love both disaster movies and anything about the Titanic.

The local cinema was doing a Midnight screening on opening day so I schlepped out to the Cineplex on a very cold November night and bought a ticket.

The audience consisted of me and two young straight couples who sat immediately behind, center of the house but two rows back.

It's a long, long movie but we were all enthralled. When it got to the end, and Jack dying and then the wrap up when Rose and Jack are reunited in Titanic Heaven, we were all weeping, even the straight boys sitting with their girl friends were trying to hold back the tears.

It was a beautiful experience I'll never forget...our hearts will go on, forever.

Sniff.

by Anonymousreply 95October 3, 2021 11:04 PM

They played it on MTV earlier

by Anonymousreply 96October 3, 2021 11:04 PM

Titanic was an experience.

But I don’t think there has been another since? I guess Endgame?

by Anonymousreply 97October 3, 2021 11:05 PM

I loved it, admittedly I was only 16 at the time.

My favourite scene was 'I'm flying!'.

There was a minor scandal in Scotland because, for dramatic purposes, the film depicted First Officer Murdoch accepting a bribe from Cal and then committing suicide, which offended his surviving family.

20th Century Fox sent a Vice President all the way to Kirkcudbrightshire to apologise but he brought only a measly £5000 for the local school.

by Anonymousreply 98October 3, 2021 11:07 PM

MTV is showing it again at 7:30

by Anonymousreply 99October 3, 2021 11:07 PM

Titanic, Avatar R97? For your own good I hope you are being ironic. Because your life must be very sad if you define those two as “experiences”.

Avatar was Pocahontas for nerds.

by Anonymousreply 100October 3, 2021 11:08 PM

R89 I was convinced the gays hated Kate Winslet thanks to AwardsWatch, so the love for Kate on here surprises me.

by Anonymousreply 101October 3, 2021 11:09 PM

I think the fact that Kate continues to give great performances in things like The Mare of Easttown has reminded people what they liked about her in the first place.

There are times I don't like Kate, but she is a terrific actress, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 102October 3, 2021 11:11 PM

R100 at the time, it was. Avatar was massive and everyone was going to see it.

by Anonymousreply 103October 3, 2021 11:11 PM

This movie was DRIVEL.

I prefer The Poseidon Adventure (1972)

by Anonymousreply 104October 3, 2021 11:11 PM

This movie is on Netflix, if y’all wanna rewatch it.

by Anonymousreply 105October 3, 2021 11:12 PM

Personally I think Cameron's films Aliens and The Abyss are better but I do love that Titanic is an old-fashioned epic romance. They really don't make these types of films anymore.

Would be nice to see Cameron finally allow Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies and Titanic to be issued in 4K.

by Anonymousreply 106October 3, 2021 11:14 PM

Chrissy Metz can play the Titanic ship in the reboot

by Anonymousreply 107October 3, 2021 11:15 PM

Katharine Hepburn should have played Old Rose.

by Anonymousreply 108October 3, 2021 11:21 PM

Betty White should have played old Rose

by Anonymousreply 109October 3, 2021 11:23 PM

Marlon Brando should've played old Rose.

by Anonymousreply 110October 3, 2021 11:23 PM

Barbara Barrie would have play a nice sentimental old Rose.

by Anonymousreply 111October 3, 2021 11:25 PM

I cried when the ship sank. Does that count?

by Anonymousreply 112October 3, 2021 11:26 PM

Let’s make a new one, starring Timmy and Saoirse or Tom Holland and Zendaya

by Anonymousreply 113October 3, 2021 11:26 PM

Rose was a whore. How else could she have survived in NY with no job skills?

by Anonymousreply 114October 3, 2021 11:26 PM

I was hoping Billy Zane would kill Jack and Rose but I knew I was setting myself up for disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 115October 3, 2021 11:27 PM

Billy Zane’s Oscar nod… do you feel it was deserved?

by Anonymousreply 116October 3, 2021 11:28 PM

r80 legally the Heart of the Ocean still belonged to the Hockley family. They had the insurance policy in their name.

by Anonymousreply 117October 3, 2021 11:31 PM

r81 people can fall in love quickly, not that you've ever known that of course.

by Anonymousreply 118October 3, 2021 11:32 PM

I saw this in the theater when it first came out because the mother of someone I was dating at the time wanted to see it. I loved her, so I agreed. I assumed I wouldn't really like the movie, but oh I was wrong. It really is a great epic in that I was completely engrossed with the story. I've never had a big desire to see it again, but completely understand why it was such a big hit.

by Anonymousreply 119October 3, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote]Remember when Hollywood kept pushing BCoop and JLaw on us?

There is something so cold and reptilian about Bradley Cooper, no warmth or humanity in him at all. I find him very off-putting. Jennifer Lawrence is just a dumb cunt who got lucky.

by Anonymousreply 120October 3, 2021 11:34 PM

If you didn't give 2 shits about Jack and Rose (I didn't),what the hell do you have until the ship finally hits the iceberg? And, even then, you're still forced to deal with their stupid story when you have a true story of sacrifice like the Strauss's barely even mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 121October 3, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote]Katharine Hepburn should have played Old Rose.

I believe Katharine Hepburn was non compos mentis by the time Titanic was made.

by Anonymousreply 122October 3, 2021 11:37 PM

Avatar was massive and a huge hit at the time. The problem is it didn't age well. It wasn't really good then, but the 3D was incredible to watch on an IMAX screen.

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2021 11:39 PM

r121 the story needed to have two young star-crossed lovers in order to be a huge hit. Nobody would watch a movie about two old NY Jews on a goddamn ship.

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote] Leo was chained to a pipe that Kate saved him from with an axe. He would've died anyway without her... she saved him first.

No Leo pulled Kate off the stern of the ship so he saved her first.

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2021 11:39 PM

R121 who are the Stauss’s?

by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2021 11:41 PM

Evidently 2 old NY jews.

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote] I sobbed and sobbed when I saw this as a high school gayling in the 90s.

I saw this when I was 14, where all the future frauen girls in my HS saw it multiple times in theater and thought it was so romantic how Jack sacrificed himself for Rose. So much for Girl Power, eh.

by Anonymousreply 128October 3, 2021 11:43 PM

It was the early 1900s. Very normal for a man to sacrifice himself for any woman.

by Anonymousreply 129October 3, 2021 11:45 PM

Yes, so much for Girl Power! Rose should've told Jack that his white male prilivilege was not wanted or needed and as a feminist and LGBTQ and POC ally she found the lack of diversity on Titanic problematic.

by Anonymousreply 130October 3, 2021 11:45 PM

They should have cast Elizabeth Taylor as Old Rose. Give her a little aging makeup (hell, that even did that for Gloria Stuart) and she would have nailed the part.

by Anonymousreply 131October 3, 2021 11:46 PM

R131 not even slightly

by Anonymousreply 132October 3, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote] It was a beautiful experience I'll never forget...our hearts will go on, forever. Sniff.

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

by Anonymousreply 133October 3, 2021 11:50 PM

The man who discovered the wreckage and retrieved artifacts had an office way downtown in NY. Artifacts, personal belongings of the passengers are not allowed to be sold but he could sell actual little pieces of coal that was brought up that he used to fiance his dives. I got to go to his office and buy some and for Christmas my friends and went to see "Titanic" and when we got home I surprised them with the coal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2021 11:51 PM

Lucy was offered the part of Rose, but Gary talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2021 11:51 PM

I loved the movie but Kate and Leo had zero sexual chemistry. They seemed like pals not lovers.

I think the movie is great but the script is quite bad. James Cameron isn't the script writer he thinks he is. I wonder how pissed he was, that the only Oscar nomination it didn't get was for script....the Writer's Branch rightfully snubbed him.

by Anonymousreply 136October 3, 2021 11:53 PM

OP thanks for giving it away that it sank, now I won't be able to watch this 24 year old movie.

by Anonymousreply 137October 3, 2021 11:55 PM

My Pastor growing up always said the Titanic sank because they said even God cannot sink this ship. So he did.

by Anonymousreply 138October 3, 2021 11:55 PM

R137= Rose Nyland

by Anonymousreply 139October 3, 2021 11:56 PM

The actual sinking scene TERRIFIED me as a kid.

I’m still terrified of the ocean and large ships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140October 3, 2021 11:58 PM

R140 The Towering Inferno did the same to me with skyscrapers.

I hated working in them and I would NEVER live in one.

And, 9/11 pretty much sealed the deal.

by Anonymousreply 141October 4, 2021 12:00 AM

I hate skyscrapers too.

by Anonymousreply 142October 4, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote](OP's entire post)

Oh, dear x 274

by Anonymousreply 143October 4, 2021 12:02 AM

Helen Lawson [ialic]IS[/italic] Old Rose!

by Anonymousreply 144October 4, 2021 12:07 AM

Would that I could feel that romantic again as I did when I watched it the 1st time. That person who cried at Jacks death and all the human tragedy is long gone.

by Anonymousreply 145October 4, 2021 12:09 AM

Skyscrapers are pretty fucking scary.

I live in one that has 21 floors only. But that’s still a lot lol.

I’m on the 6th floor thank goodness

by Anonymousreply 146October 4, 2021 12:10 AM

Sorry, really, R146, you're shopping for problems.

by Anonymousreply 147October 4, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]but he could sell actual little pieces of coal that was brought up that he used to fiance his dives. I got to go to his office and buy some and for Christmas my friends and went to see "Titanic" and when we got home I surprised them with the coal.

So you literally put coal in their stockings.

by Anonymousreply 148October 4, 2021 12:20 AM

Billy Zane’s rug is distracting

by Anonymousreply 149October 4, 2021 12:30 AM

I hated that Clifton Webb stole Barbara Stanwyk's bastard child and made him die with him while she sat on the boat.

I didn't know there was any other movie mad of the Titanic that was worth a shit after THAT.

by Anonymousreply 150October 4, 2021 12:41 AM

I cried tears of BOREDOM!

God, I hated this movie.

by Anonymousreply 151October 4, 2021 12:48 AM

Cameron filmed over 5 hours of footage . I wish he would put out a special edition.

by Anonymousreply 152October 4, 2021 12:51 AM

Ha! 5 hours? I filmed 20.

by Anonymousreply 153October 4, 2021 12:53 AM

R126 Isidor and Ida Straus died together on the Titanic because Ida refused to leave her husband and get on a lifeboat. They are briefly seen in the movie Titanic lying next to each other in bed holding hands (if I remember correctly.)

Isidor Straus was co owner of Macy’s; the Herald Square dept store has a plaque to him inside.

by Anonymousreply 154October 4, 2021 1:04 AM

I loved Kate's eye make-up in this film. The most perfect eyeliner + lashes I've ever seen!

by Anonymousreply 155October 4, 2021 1:07 AM

R114 She was working as an actress! There's your first clue, Sherlock!

by Anonymousreply 156October 4, 2021 1:07 AM

R43 that is what I miss. CGI has made film makers super lazy.

by Anonymousreply 157October 4, 2021 1:09 AM

I've never forgiven that old wrinkled bitch for throwing that diamond in the ocean. I said the same thing about that moron kid in Into the Wild that burned a pile of money and his car. I get it, you're making a dramatic point but give that shit away. Someone else could use the money.

by Anonymousreply 158October 4, 2021 1:11 AM

You're right, R154. That's actual, not fake true love, but all they are in this stupid shitfest are a 3 second scene that some people may remember...or not. I just looked it up-based on inflation they left an estate of nearly 100 million in 2021 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 159October 4, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote]legally the Heart of the Ocean still belonged to the Hockley family. They had the insurance policy in their name.

Fine line R117. As Rose was supposed to marry into the Hockley family, the insurance policy would be in his name and in the times, what is hers would be his. However, a gift is a gift is a gift and it belonged to Rose.

by Anonymousreply 160October 4, 2021 1:14 AM

I'm glad you and your friends had a nice sleepover, Sweetie

But you should get some sleep tonight...you're only 13 and you need your rest

by Anonymousreply 161October 4, 2021 1:14 AM

Working as an actress is code for prostitution whore!

by Anonymousreply 162October 4, 2021 1:15 AM

They weren't married yet r160. Believe me, the Hockley family would be out for blood to get that necklace back. Legally it was still theirs.

by Anonymousreply 163October 4, 2021 1:16 AM

"Me and my boyfriend held hands crying during that moment."

Oh thank god I don't know you in real life.

by Anonymousreply 164October 4, 2021 1:17 AM

Op, people will make fun of you but Titanic remains one of my favorite movies, warts and all. Is it perfect? Hello no! Is it deep? Nope. But is it a decent mix of romance and action? You bet!

I was a 7 year old gayling when this came out. Had my parents take me to see it three times. Had them buy me a ton of Titanic books for kids. Had the double VHS, DVD, and now blue-ray.

I’ve long since accepted that people will shit on the movie. It was a Titanic success and an easy target. But I love it and watch it at least once or twice a year. I’m glad it touched you.

by Anonymousreply 165October 4, 2021 1:19 AM

R154 The Strauses did get a deleted scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 4, 2021 1:19 AM

GEE. A deleted scene from a 3 hour movie. I'm so glad they saved us that 23 seconds so we could get back to the Jack and Rose show.

by Anonymousreply 167October 4, 2021 1:22 AM

One more thing about the Strauses; the plaque in Macy’s honors both Isidor AND Ida, and while Isidor’s body was recovered and is buried in Woodlawn in the Bronx, Ida’s body was never found. Very sad end to such a brave woman.

by Anonymousreply 168October 4, 2021 1:23 AM

How did this movie get a PG-13 reading? Kate showed her tits for a long period of time

by Anonymousreply 169October 4, 2021 1:25 AM

Because the ratings system is a joke and there was no way they were gonna slap an R on this and cut into the profits.

by Anonymousreply 170October 4, 2021 1:26 AM

Leo was such a gorgeous twink in this, too bad his looks hit the wall HARD when he was still pretty young.

by Anonymousreply 171October 4, 2021 1:28 AM

I was in 6th Grade when this came out and my English teacher kept complaining about the nude scene to us one day. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 172October 4, 2021 1:30 AM

[quote]Kate showed her tits for a long period of time

we could all see her dirty pillows

by Anonymousreply 173October 4, 2021 1:31 AM

Sixteen Candles had bare breasts and hit a PG rating.

Granted that was the 80s and they were so lenient then. By the 90s they became strict with the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 174October 4, 2021 1:33 AM

OP must be a Karen.

by Anonymousreply 175October 4, 2021 1:38 AM

Sixteen Candles. And it got a PG rating

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 4, 2021 1:42 AM

This movie is the definition of cringe, but I guess it's a generation thing.

by Anonymousreply 177October 4, 2021 1:46 AM

A generation thing? People of all ages and races all over the world went to see it dear

by Anonymousreply 178October 4, 2021 1:47 AM

I've always wondered what happened to the iceberg. They never say.

by Anonymousreply 179October 4, 2021 1:55 AM

This always broke my heart. The way they played until the end. Always made me sad they knew it was their final time playing together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 4, 2021 2:02 AM

The ending still makes me tear up. It was the perfect way to end the film.

Yes I know, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 181October 4, 2021 2:04 AM

I just read the band really did keep playing until the very end. It wasn’t made up for the movie. None of them survived. How sad.

by Anonymousreply 182October 4, 2021 2:05 AM

The thing about Titanic is that it really was one of those films that everybody went to see. It's rare to have a film that appeals to so many people. I don't think even the Marvel films can do that. That's why Titanic was such a phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 183October 4, 2021 2:07 AM

Avatar was similar. Everyone I knew went to see it at some point. Or wanted to because everyone else was lol

by Anonymousreply 184October 4, 2021 2:08 AM

This scene scares me still to this day.

But I have a weird thing with empty hallways and the silence. I always have. Idk why. Especially in hotels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 4, 2021 2:10 AM

As an ocean liner geek, I love the sets and attention to detail like the exact replicas of the White Star Line chinaware. To see it all in color was amazing. And for some reason, seeing the elaborate hairstyles that the ladies wore, I’ve been obsessed with the Psyche Knot.

by Anonymousreply 186October 4, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it too late to put OP in the Titanic?

by Anonymousreply 187October 4, 2021 2:14 AM

Did you know that Otto Frank interned at Macy’s with Nathan and Isidor Straus? He had considered settling in America for a while, but his father died suddenly and he was forced to return to Germany. Then we went to war and he never returned to America. Things would have been so different had he come back….

by Anonymousreply 188October 4, 2021 2:18 AM

This film had a massive budget… they couldn’t afford to get a better wig for Billy Zane? I mean it’s really bad at times.

And he had tons of makeup on. Eyeliner and lashes. Was he looking really bad that they had to do this?

by Anonymousreply 189October 4, 2021 2:29 AM

Billy Zane seems like he is acting in a completely different movie.

by Anonymousreply 190October 4, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote] Please tell me you watched this at a special cinema screening? Or at least on bluray on a 60+ inch tv?

I watched it on my iPhone 6.

by Anonymousreply 191October 4, 2021 2:46 AM

This thread is too Mary for words. This movie was a piece of shit. And what's wrong with being a bottom, R82? Better that than lapping up the shit of James Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 192October 4, 2021 2:48 AM

It was an epic, fun movie r192.

by Anonymousreply 193October 4, 2021 3:04 AM

R152, did he film much more of the Californian? I've always been fascinated by that part of the story; I would love to see a recreation of what they saw that night and their failure to act.

by Anonymousreply 194October 4, 2021 3:05 AM

The film has some nice moments, mostly from a technical aspect. The Jack/Rose story is completely ridiculous and unbelievable, and not very convincingly acted. When I went with friends we counted the minutes until the iceberg finally hit.

by Anonymousreply 195October 4, 2021 3:07 AM

Leo and Kate seemed more like a fag/hag pairing than a couple.

by Anonymousreply 196October 4, 2021 3:13 AM

[quote] I've always wondered what happened to the iceberg.

The following day it was spotted by another passing ship. The red paint still visible where it scraped the Titanic's hull

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 4, 2021 3:15 AM

R171 Unpopular opinion but I think his physical peak was The Departed.

by Anonymousreply 198October 4, 2021 3:15 AM

R194 what is the Californian?

by Anonymousreply 199October 4, 2021 3:23 AM

The Californian was the ship that rescued the Titanic passengers who survived.

by Anonymousreply 200October 4, 2021 3:45 AM

r199: a ship that was about ten miles away from the Titanic when she sank: the Californian's officers and crew saw the Titanic approach from the east, come to a stop, shoot off rockets, then seemingly disappear over the horizon; because their radio operator was asleep, they were not aware of the scope of the situation. They tried to cover up their inaction when they discovered what had happened, but a stoker who had been on deck that night blabbed to a Boston paper when they arrived there a few days later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201October 4, 2021 3:45 AM

Lol. Just saw it?

by Anonymousreply 202October 4, 2021 3:51 AM

An excellent book about the Californian, as well as the rescue ship Carpathia, is The Other Side of the Night by Daniel Allen Butler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 4, 2021 3:54 AM

Whoops, r201 is right! The Carpathia was the ship that rescued the Titanic survivors. Sorry!

by Anonymousreply 204October 4, 2021 3:57 AM

The last survivor of the Titanic was an Englishwoman named Milvina Dean who died in 2009 at age 97. She was two months old, and she and her mother were put on a lifeboat. Her father died in the sinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 4, 2021 3:59 AM

After this event the Californian sailed the seas for many illustrious years. During that time she also ignored distress calls from the Lusitania, the General Slocum, the Morro Castle, the USS Thresher, the Andrea Doria, and Navy Flight 19.

by Anonymousreply 206October 4, 2021 4:13 AM

R66 is unfortunately correct. Mythbusters got the dimensions and weight of the door from Cameron and proved it had room for both Jack and Rose without sinking.

OP, people who watched the movie in a cinema at the time were less prone to be upset than you, for a reason which might not strike you. The movie was 3 hours long and for the last hour, filled with running water. The audience was just waiting for it to end so they could make a run on the bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 207October 4, 2021 4:15 AM

R206 I heard she doesn't change the toilet paper after using the last of the roll.

by Anonymousreply 208October 4, 2021 4:16 AM

[quote] The Jack/Rose story is completely ridiculous and unbelievable

Well, it was based on a true story so it doesn’t matter if it’s believable to YOU or not. It’s not all about you.

by Anonymousreply 209October 4, 2021 5:55 AM

LOL... R209, the Jack/Rose story is pure fiction. The rest of the film is true.

The Jack/Rose story is....what it is; a vehicle to frame the film on. It gets the job done but it's also ridiculous and melodramatic and written like a bad romance novel. As I said before, Cameron is a lousy writer. But, he's a brilliant director and once the iceberg hits, he's in his element directing all the action stuff and the sinking of the ship. The direction and the technical work and the brilliant design is what makes it a great film. And, it had two charming lead actors.

And, Billy Zane's bad wig, manscara and ludicrously evil character but every melodrama needs a villain.

by Anonymousreply 210October 4, 2021 6:19 AM

I loved it as a kid and still do but will admit now Jack's infatuation with Rose and his constant telling her how wonderful he is just seemed like something out of Harlequin Romance novel.

by Anonymousreply 211October 4, 2021 6:54 AM

[quote]When Rose realizes Jack is dead, I lost it. Me and my boyfriend held hands crying during that moment.

My God.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212October 4, 2021 7:07 AM

[quote]I've always wondered what happened to the iceberg.

Became a bitter queen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213October 4, 2021 7:09 AM

I think Winset's makeup artist should have been sacked. She was plastered an inch thick. I can't believe she'd completely lost the bloom she had in Sense and Sensibility, which was filmed only two years previously, and in which she was photographed beautifullly, so there was absolutely no need for it. Leo looked ravishing, acted wonderfully, and was perfect for the role.

by Anonymousreply 214October 4, 2021 7:26 AM

[quote] How did this movie get a PG-13 reading? Kate showed her tits for a long period of time

[quote]Because the ratings system is a joke and there was no way they were gonna slap an R on this and cut into the profits.

You're kidding right? Yu think 13 year olds would be scarred seeing a pair of tits in a non sexual situation? You would do fine in Utah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215October 4, 2021 11:03 AM

Lindsay Lohan should have played old Rose.

by Anonymousreply 216October 4, 2021 11:18 AM

Considering how horrible the direction and screenplay were, no one cried at this horrible movie. Fail.

by Anonymousreply 217October 4, 2021 11:21 AM

[quote]Did you know that Otto Frank interned at Macy’s with Nathan and Isidor Straus? He had considered settling in America for a while, but his father died suddenly and he was forced to return to Germany. Then we went to war and he never returned to America. Things would have been so different had he come back…

She's in the BASEMENT!

by Anonymousreply 218October 4, 2021 12:04 PM

They should have just gotten on the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 219October 4, 2021 12:09 PM

The iceberg has its own book (and it's actually quite good):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 4, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote]After this event the Californian sailed the seas for many illustrious years. During that time she also ignored distress calls from the Lusitania, the General Slocum, the Morro Castle, the USS Thresher, the Andrea Doria, and Navy Flight 19.

Excuse me, miss, I've got navigation of my own.

by Anonymousreply 221October 4, 2021 2:09 PM

If you ask me that iceberg should have been put on trial, but of course, because it was white....

by Anonymousreply 222October 4, 2021 2:10 PM

R118, you’re right. I would not know. I would not be that stupid.

You OTOH…

by Anonymousreply 223October 4, 2021 2:40 PM

So Rose went to heaven and instead of reuniting with her husband and children, she hooks up with the guys she knew for what...a couple of days?

Why hook up on the boat again?

It's only going to sink again.

She's trapped in a terrifying loop and I guess she actually went to hell instead.

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 224October 4, 2021 2:47 PM

Eva Hart and Millvina Dean disliked one another. Eva was eight years old when she was on the ship and Millvina was an infant who had no recollections of the disaster. Eva said that Millvina “didn’t count” as a real survivor.

by Anonymousreply 225October 4, 2021 2:54 PM

R225 I kind of agree. While she did survive, she can’t remember, so there is no need to interview her etc.

by Anonymousreply 226October 4, 2021 3:11 PM

The scene that' s never made sense to is when they're on deck after screwing in the car and being chased by the crew. When they finally get away they start hugging and kissing and it cuts to the lookouts up in the crow's nest. They start watching Rose and Jack and finally one of them looks back at the horizon and sees the iceberg. Is Cameron trying to imply the collision was caused by Jack and Rose distracting the lookouts?

I also wish they would have included a scene showing the fate of Zane's bodyguard. I assume he died, but the villain deserved a death scene.

by Anonymousreply 227October 4, 2021 3:20 PM

R227 yes, he died. He was standing right at the center, where the ship split as it split. You see some men falling in as it splits open, I assume he did too.

But they should have shown it.

They only saw Jack and Rose for a minute. Within that minute they were able to see the iceberg, which they couldn’t prior.

by Anonymousreply 228October 4, 2021 3:24 PM

The last we see of the bodyguard is when the ship breaks in half. He's lying on the deck and I assume fell into the void.

by Anonymousreply 229October 4, 2021 3:24 PM

They should have cast Elizabeth Taylor as Old Rose. Give her a little aging makeup (hell, that even did that for Gloria Stuart) and she would have nailed the part.

Oh honey, I'd never throw a diamond necklace into the ocean

by Anonymousreply 230October 4, 2021 3:37 PM

Cameron must’ve paid someone to write this…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231October 4, 2021 3:38 PM

It was 1912. Jack wasn’t gonna kick her off for himself.

by Anonymousreply 232October 4, 2021 3:39 PM

0/10... I sincerely hope this is a put on. Maryest of all Marys

by Anonymousreply 233October 4, 2021 5:54 PM

Peter O'Toole dancing with Gloria Stuart in a lovely moment in "My Favorite Year"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 4, 2021 6:03 PM

It really is a good movie though.

by Anonymousreply 235October 4, 2021 7:51 PM

Too long and boring as fuck.

Who watches a movie about the Titanic and expects a happy ending?

by Anonymousreply 236October 4, 2021 8:00 PM

I still haven't seen this movie. I might just watch the first part for the setup and a good look at the interiors and clothes, because I love that period. Two things I've read a lot about that stop me from wanting to sit through the whole thing are the hokey rich girl/poor boy romance and the villainous-fiance element. Both sound annoying. Why did there have to be such an obvious complication? It's a very lazy way to create drama.

by Anonymousreply 237October 4, 2021 8:14 PM

Because the movie needed a hook to be a huge blockbuster. An accurate re-telling of the Titanic would never have been an enormous hit. Cameron knew this and added the love story to put asses in the seats. That's show business, baby.

by Anonymousreply 238October 4, 2021 8:24 PM

R237 Don't watch the first 2/3rds of the movie. It's where all the hokey, bad romance and melodramatic villain shit is located. Just fast forward to when the iceberg hits, then it turns into an excellent James Cameron adventure film with brilliant editing and effects.

R238 I agree that the film needed a central story to hang it all on, in order to work as cinema, but it could also have been a BETTER central story that wasn't so contrived and cliched. Cameron is lousy with scripting and plotting and character development.

by Anonymousreply 239October 4, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote] Is Cameron trying to imply the collision was caused by Jack and Rose distracting the lookouts?

Yes, Jack and Rose caused the Titanic to sink. It’s the oldest trope of sex is bad and will get you killed. If they hadn’t fooled around and distracted the Titanic’s crew, none of this would have happened.

by Anonymousreply 240October 4, 2021 8:35 PM

[quote]Why did there have to be such an obvious complication? It's a very lazy way to create drama.

Because it's a movie not a documentary.

by Anonymousreply 241October 4, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]an excellent James Cameron adventure film with brilliant editing and effects.

Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose. Come on Rose.

by Anonymousreply 242October 4, 2021 9:43 PM

Imagine being the boat crew as old Rose narrates her story.

I said "Jack?' then Jack said "Rose!" Then I cried out "Jack!" and Jack exclaimed "Rose!"

by Anonymousreply 243October 4, 2021 9:48 PM

Jack, wait!

by Anonymousreply 244October 4, 2021 9:57 PM

OP are you a frau?

by Anonymousreply 245October 4, 2021 10:28 PM

Never let go!

by Anonymousreply 246October 4, 2021 10:38 PM

Butcha did let go, Rose, ya did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247October 4, 2021 10:39 PM

Thanks a lot OP, you monster.

by Anonymousreply 248October 4, 2021 10:41 PM

🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 249October 4, 2021 10:48 PM

Pity Olivia de Haviland wouldn't test for old Rose. She even looks like Kate W. which Stuart didn't.

by Anonymousreply 250October 4, 2021 10:54 PM

[quote] but it could also have been a BETTER central story that wasn't so contrived and cliched.

It was basically Romeo and Juliet, a timeless story that appeals to a wide range of people. You're just a bitter miserable person.

by Anonymousreply 251October 4, 2021 11:00 PM

In the end, it's an entertaining film with diverse appeal. It's not perfect and is sloppy in places, but it's amazing to look at.

by Anonymousreply 252October 4, 2021 11:09 PM

Jack dead! OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 4, 2021 11:26 PM

"It's a very expensive soap opera."

Yep, and he should know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254October 4, 2021 11:36 PM

Titanic could have benefited from a Katherine Chancellor or a Nikki Newman. Even a Brendad Ickson....

by Anonymousreply 255October 4, 2021 11:40 PM

R251 You're coming after ME with your shitty remark because I think the romance plot in Titanic is contrived and hokey? AND, you have the tiny balls to suggest it's "Romeo & Juliet"???!?

Yeah, me and millions of other people who really like the movie but think the basic soapy plot isn't so great. We're all bitter because James Cameron can't write a decent romance.

Whatever.

You're a dicktard.

by Anonymousreply 256October 4, 2021 11:44 PM

r256 again, it's just a fucking movie. Cameron wanted to make a big mainstream crowd-pleaser and he succeeded. The story didn't require an intricate or sophisticated plot like it was a Bergman movie FFS.

by Anonymousreply 257October 4, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote]AND, you have the tiny balls to suggest it's "Romeo & Juliet"???!?

Actually, that's exactly how Cameron pitched Titanic to the studio.

by Anonymousreply 258October 4, 2021 11:54 PM

R239, exactly.

[quote][R238] I agree that the film needed a central story to hang it all on, in order to work as cinema, but it could also have been a BETTER central story that wasn't so contrived and cliched. Cameron is lousy with scripting and plotting and character development.

I didn't say there should be no central story. I said the one they made sounds stupid. Obvious and facile. "They're in love! <3 <3 But evil person wants to keep them apart, Nooooo!"

If you like that, fine. Seems to me there are many more creative ways to do this.

by Anonymousreply 259October 5, 2021 1:08 AM

BTW, agreeing with you and not the person you responded to, ^^

by Anonymousreply 260October 5, 2021 1:10 AM

bombastic treacle. Among the worst cinematic formulas for people with an IQ over, say, 110.

by Anonymousreply 261October 5, 2021 1:11 AM

It was a great adventure/love story. Some of you wanted some deep existential pretentious shit, which didn't lend itself to that kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 262October 5, 2021 1:14 AM

Titanic changed our lives. It defined a generation. It changed a generation.

We are all Rose, looking for our Jack. Never letting go.

by Anonymousreply 263October 5, 2021 2:24 AM

Think of it as a Perils of Pauline adventure and it makes more sense.

by Anonymousreply 264October 5, 2021 2:30 AM

R251 is right. Leo's Romeo and Juliet came out a year before Titanic and James Cameron 100% lifted the "romance" elements out of Luhrmann's far superior movie. Cameron has always been a plagiarist and hack.

by Anonymousreply 265October 5, 2021 4:22 AM

Titanic is really only similar to Romeo and Juliet (which was around a long time before Luhrmann's version) in that they are teenagers.

Cameron said that had to be done to make it believable that Rose was still alive in 1997. Had the characters been older he wouldn't have been able to use the old Rose plot device.

by Anonymousreply 266October 5, 2021 4:49 AM

[R194], if I may... viz. The Californian. A few facts. The Californian was stuck in field ice. Think a fly stuck in an ice cube. The ship couldn't move, or if it tried to, severe structural damage would've occurred, like the rudder being bent. Poof! But let's say the wireless operator on the Californian was awake and rec'd RMS Titanic's SOS. Let's say she wasn't stuck in field ice. The SOS came through around midnight. The Californian was shut down for the night. At LEAST thirty minutes to get under way (you've got to stoke the boilers to make the steam to make the propellers spin). So, now we're at 0030 Monday morning. Around an hour to steam the few miles to get to RMS Titanic (remember there were icebergs and growlers all over the place). OK, 0100. Now, how are we going to transfer 1500 people from the Titanic to the Californian? By the lifeboats? It took at least fifteen minutes to load a lifeboat. Then another five to lower it. Then ten minutes to row to the Californian. Then maybe ten minutes (probably a lot more. These weren't professional sailors in the boats, these were civilians) to unload the lifeboat. Then ten minutes to row back to the Titanic. Do you begin to see the hopelessness of the situation? Many passengers and crew would have gone down with the Titanic, and frozen to death in the water. Even with a rescue ship just a few hundred yards away.

by Anonymousreply 267October 5, 2021 4:50 AM

Spoiler: the ship sinks

by Anonymousreply 268October 5, 2021 5:14 AM

They should have made Rose 16 and Jack 17

by Anonymousreply 269October 5, 2021 5:25 AM

Claire Danes’ bitch ass said she had the Rose part but declined it because she didn’t want the fame haha.

by Anonymousreply 270October 5, 2021 6:22 AM

Claire Danes would have been thin and light enough so that Leo could have floated with her on the board thus ruining the ending.

by Anonymousreply 271October 5, 2021 6:24 AM

R266 Yeah, Shakespeare has been around about 400 years, you fucking goof. Watch Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, then Titanic and you'll see Cameron stole everything for his shit movie. Titanic was only good for the technical aspects of the ship sinking. Good direction, ANY characterization, and good writing/screenplay, are non-existent. The same could be said for Avatar. Cameron is only good at the technical aspects of film making, everything else he is horrible at.

by Anonymousreply 272October 5, 2021 7:33 AM

[quote] Cameron said that had to be done to make it believable that Rose was still alive in 1997.

So does that mean Rose is not still alive now? It’s been 24 years. It’ll be sad to think both Rose and Jack died. She survived the Titanic, she could survive the COVID pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 273October 5, 2021 9:53 AM

R58, I resisted watching for decades. Finally I decided to see what the hoopla was about---BUT I fast-forwarded to the iceberg, as I wasn't interested in the slightest in the "romance" framework.

Let me say that the depiction of the final moments of Titanic and so many of her passengers, her crew, the musicians---even the silly "Jack is chained to the post, Lassie! Fetch Rose!"---is superb. The best of the Titanic genre.

by Anonymousreply 274October 5, 2021 10:15 AM

I always watch this film from when it strikes the iceberg. I skip the first two hours.

by Anonymousreply 275October 5, 2021 10:49 AM

Are we being trolled by a clever character? "Pollyanna sparkle pony gushing Titanic stan". Nobody could be this vapid, lowbrow and romantic.

by Anonymousreply 276October 5, 2021 11:17 AM

It is equal parts Gone With the Wind and The Poseidon Adventure, only the worst of both conflated into this.

by Anonymousreply 277October 5, 2021 11:38 AM

So, while reading the biographical novel about Thomas Mann called The Magician, I learned of his daughter Monika, who while escaping Nazi Germany was taking a ship across the Atlantic to Canada when it was torpedoed and sunk. She clunk to a piece of wood, while hearing her husband can for her and then go under. After about twenty hours in a remarkable twist of fate she was discovered minutes away from dying and was rescued. Did James Cameron steal her story for the film?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278October 5, 2021 12:01 PM

R78 Of course. Every scene in Titanic, besides the "love" story which was stolen from Luhrmann's film, was stolen from all the other Titanic movies/TV shows. There are Youtube vids that show scene by scene how Cameron just copied and pasted all these other better movies/shows.

by Anonymousreply 279October 5, 2021 12:30 PM

No one has commented on the You Tube synopsis on the OP’s posting. “Jack died from hysteria “?????Try hyperthermia, idiots. Rose had hysteria but sadly didn’t kill her. Pity

by Anonymousreply 280October 5, 2021 12:59 PM

[quote]Let me say that the depiction of the final moments of Titanic and so many of her passengers, her crew, the musicians---even the silly "Jack is chained to the post, Lassie! Fetch Rose!"---is superb. The best of the Titanic genre.

You really should have seen it on a big widescreen70MM screen with surround sound. it was something.

by Anonymousreply 281October 5, 2021 2:32 PM

Oh wow OP. I've never seen Titanic though I'm a fan of Leo.

by Anonymousreply 282October 5, 2021 2:50 PM

R278 ummmmmmm no. 6 people were saved from the water. They just depicted one as Rose.

People were really trying to use anything they could to stay afloat and get out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 283October 5, 2021 3:18 PM

I wouldn't be calling them idiots R280 since Jack died of hypothermia and NOT hyperthermia..

He certainly didn't overheat in that ice water as you just claimed.

by Anonymousreply 284October 5, 2021 3:28 PM

R284 - R280 was obviously being hypobolic.

by Anonymousreply 285October 6, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] [R278] ummmmmmm no. 6 people were saved from the water. They just depicted one as Rose.

So Rose just displaced one of the real survivors? Just erased them from history? Typical privileged yt woman.

by Anonymousreply 286October 6, 2021 2:13 AM

Rose ate them. To be fair, dinnertime was interrupted

by Anonymousreply 287October 6, 2021 2:24 AM

Kate was stunning in this movie . Better hair color .

by Anonymousreply 288October 6, 2021 4:51 AM

Where would the non-binary be placed in the lifeboat line?

by Anonymousreply 289October 6, 2021 4:55 AM

R267 there were crew members in each boat but they were poorly trained

by Anonymousreply 290October 6, 2021 5:24 AM

R169 because they were ARTISTIC tits not sexual ones.

I love how Leo the lesbian was quivering after his first time having sex.

You know if it was from Lucas Haas he would be taking it like a champ

by Anonymousreply 291October 6, 2021 6:22 PM

I just fast forward to the scene with DL fave Ioan Gruffudd and then to the end.

by Anonymousreply 292October 6, 2021 6:47 PM

Also, they were big, floppy tits sagging in opposite directions and painted like foreign tits, so it wasn't a sex thing.

by Anonymousreply 293October 6, 2021 7:01 PM

I just remember the handprint of ecstasy on the steamed-up window of that old car they fucked in.

My favorite Titanic is the one with Bonnie Franklin as the captain, jogging braless to inspect the iceberg damage. Why they cast Schneider as Mr. Andrews, though, I'll never know.

by Anonymousreply 294October 6, 2021 8:07 PM

I much prefer the version of Titanic where Linda Lavin was the captain R294. She scats and boppity-bops her way around the deck while the ship sinks!

by Anonymousreply 295October 6, 2021 9:56 PM

I prefer the version where Titanic self-identifies as a ship without holes in it and Rose and Jack die in 1915 in a murder/suicide.

by Anonymousreply 296October 6, 2021 10:11 PM

I love this movie so much. But it’s best on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 297October 6, 2021 10:16 PM

R295, is the Linda Lavin version the one where Sada Thompson plays the Unsinkable Molly Brown? She managed to look like she was hot-flashing, even out in the lifeboat in the middle of the North Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 298October 7, 2021 12:04 AM

Didnt Marilu Henner play Molly Brown?

by Anonymousreply 299October 7, 2021 12:17 AM

I loved Aaron Spelling's Titanic!

by Anonymousreply 300October 7, 2021 12:19 AM

In all seriousness, there was a TV movie version from 1979, S.O.S. Titanic, that focused on the real people on the ship: David Janssen as John Jacob Astor, Florian Leachman as Molly Brown, and David Warner as Lawrence Beesley (Warner played Billy Zane's henchman in the 97 movie). Only Susan Saint James played a fictional character, a love interest for Warner. Obviously, it's not as spectacular as Cameron's film, but it's a solid effort. The bluray was released last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301October 7, 2021 12:56 AM

Cloris not Florian. Dammit.

by Anonymousreply 302October 7, 2021 12:57 AM

The FX were so shoddy, though r301 r302. But I loved the script by James Costigan.

by Anonymousreply 303October 7, 2021 1:08 AM

Nobody's going to watch a tv movie from 40-plus years ago except the sad old queens on DL.

by Anonymousreply 304October 7, 2021 1:10 AM

Wasn’t there a 90s movie?

by Anonymousreply 305October 7, 2021 1:11 AM

DL icon Florian Leachman

by Anonymousreply 306October 7, 2021 1:12 AM

Gen Z probably consider Cameron's Titanic an old classic.

I mentioned Brigitte Bardot and Jane Fonda to a charming Iranian grad student the other day and of course it was a complete blank. I showed him pics on the computer and he had no references to understand what kind of women and movie stars he was looking at.

by Anonymousreply 307October 7, 2021 1:16 AM

Titanic is the biggest piece of crap ever committed to celluloid. The plot is ridiculous. The CGI is antiquated. Cameron's dialog is comic book worthy. Kate looks like a 40 year old hooker molesting Leo's 12 yo boy. Gloria Stewart needed a check to buy more depends so she calls it in. Billy Zane looks a gay Simon Bar Sinister. Titanic is the definition of schmaltz. That being said...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308October 7, 2021 1:18 AM

Why would a 20-something Iranian have any idea who Jane Fonda and Brigitte Bardot are?

by Anonymousreply 309October 7, 2021 1:20 AM

r308's parents never loved him

by Anonymousreply 310October 7, 2021 1:21 AM

R310's parents never used sarcasm

by Anonymousreply 311October 7, 2021 1:24 AM

He wouldn't, proving the point that only a eldergay on DL would prefer a 40yo TV movie of the Titanic for the wonderful performance of Florian Felderman

by Anonymousreply 312October 7, 2021 1:28 AM

[quote] Considering how horrible the direction and screenplay were, no one cried at this horrible movie. Fail.

Clearly you weren't there when this movie opened. You could hear the women and the gays sniffing all the way to the back of the theater. It's corny alright but it did the job. And in its day, the special effects were astonishing.

by Anonymousreply 313October 7, 2021 1:29 AM

I'm the same age as Kate Winslet and a year younger than Leo, so I guess that makes me an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 314October 7, 2021 1:52 AM

Everybody cried at the end of Titanic. The theater was full of sobs.

by Anonymousreply 315October 7, 2021 1:52 AM

^I saw the same reaction at Mame.

by Anonymousreply 316October 7, 2021 1:54 AM

If Cameron released a Special Edition of Titanic with all the deleted footage, it would make a mint. He should do that for the 25th next year.

by Anonymousreply 317October 7, 2021 1:58 AM

They should produce Titanic: 90210 where Brandon and Brenda are Captain and first mate. ANDREA! will be the ship's cruise director and Steve Sanders will be shirtless down in the ship's hull shoveling coal into the furnace. Guest appearances by Charo and Alan Alda.

by Anonymousreply 318October 7, 2021 4:43 AM

If Bette Davis had still been alive I would've loved to have seen her as Old Rose, telling her story to the crew on the ship as she chain-smoked and the ashtray next to her steadily filling up with butts.

by Anonymousreply 319October 7, 2021 4:46 AM

I loved the TV movie with Valerie Harper as a widowed passenger who had just lost her husband and was hoping Titanic would distract from her grief and Robert Reed as the Captain who fell in love with her!

by Anonymousreply 320October 7, 2021 4:57 AM

I wonder what happened to Rose's cunt mother.

by Anonymousreply 321October 7, 2021 6:07 AM

There was a TV movie version of Titanic in the 90s (as someone above asked.)

It starred the ever young Catherine Zeta-Jones. (first big role in the US)

by Anonymousreply 322October 7, 2021 6:16 AM

R322, did she play an orphaned child?

by Anonymousreply 323October 7, 2021 6:37 AM

How about Titanic Meets the Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 324October 7, 2021 7:02 AM

It could have been worse. The alternate ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325October 7, 2021 2:29 PM

Psyche knot. Rose and Madeleine Astor both had them…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326October 7, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote]There was a TV movie version of Titanic in the 90s (as someone above asked.) It starred the ever young Catherine Zeta-Jones. (first big role in the US).

And George C. Scott as Captain Smith. It's not especially good. For a TV version, I prefer the 1979 one.

Julian Fellowes, who created and ran Downton Abbey, did a four part miniseries a few years ago. It was loathsome. No historical accuracy, just sloppy DA type soap opera onboard. Then it sinks.

by Anonymousreply 327October 7, 2021 6:01 PM

R327 never heard of that one

by Anonymousreply 328October 7, 2021 6:07 PM

I did enjoy the miniseries about the ship’s construction. It had Kevin Zegers and Chris Noth in it.

by Anonymousreply 329October 7, 2021 6:15 PM

For r328. Don't bother to check it out, Fictional characters, soap opera, no real FX to speak of. It's dreck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330October 7, 2021 6:39 PM

Hour-long docudrama about the Californian's officers and crew at the British inquiry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331October 7, 2021 6:52 PM

When the Californian's officers dared to awake Captain Lord to tell him the ship on the horizon he and they had been watching earlier was now firing rockets, he told them the rockets were probably company signals and went back to sleep. The officers continued to watch as the distant ship fired more rockets and then appeared to disappear off the horizon.

"Anybody knows what rockets at sea mean." -- Second class passenger Laurence Beesley.

by Anonymousreply 332October 7, 2021 7:02 PM

^ Lawrence

by Anonymousreply 333October 7, 2021 7:12 PM

The only believable "romance" in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334October 8, 2021 2:05 AM

Bitanic. They actually managed to film parts of this secretly on the old Queen Mary in Long Beach, near LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335October 8, 2021 2:16 AM

Captain Lord's officers and crew both detested and feared him. He was a total martinet. No one doubted why his deck officers didn't dare to awaken him twice after he told them to ignore what they were seeing and told them not to bother him again.

But they knew what they were seeing and had their strong suspicions. One question is why no one woke the lone wireless operator. He had signed off at 11:30pm and gone to bed, 10 minutes before Titanic struck the iceberg. If anyone had roused him and asked him to check the airwaves, he would have heard the desperate CQDs and SOS messages going back and forth between Titanic and other ships.

by Anonymousreply 336October 8, 2021 6:19 AM

When Titanic's sister ship Olympic received an SOS message 500 miles away, Olympic asked if Titanic was steaming south to meet her. Titanic replied "We are putting the women and children off in boats."

by Anonymousreply 337October 8, 2021 6:44 AM

An excellent version of the story of the Titanic sinking is A Night to Remember, made in England in 1958.

by Anonymousreply 338October 8, 2021 8:19 AM

That's always acknowledged as the definitive version, r338. There were plans to remake it in color and widescreen in the 90s until Cameron announced his version and the financing for a new ANTR fell apart.

by Anonymousreply 339October 8, 2021 8:34 AM

Because EVERYBODY wants to watch an English adaptation of the Titanic from nineteen-fucking-fifty-eight.

Jesus Christ I can't believe you all aren't dead in 2021

by Anonymousreply 340October 8, 2021 8:52 AM

Wipe your fingers r340.

You’re writing shit.

by Anonymousreply 341October 8, 2021 2:45 PM

Pics please r341

by Anonymousreply 342October 8, 2021 4:33 PM

Titanic just showed up on Netflix and is in their top 10 most streamed this week. I wonder how many young parents are sharing it with their kids for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 343October 8, 2021 4:43 PM

Rich people problems.

by Anonymousreply 344October 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Young Rose being overweight kept me from having any sympathy for her, and I have never liked DiCaprio. I did feel terrible for the salvage crew who spent all that time and money searching for the jewel, not knowing the bitch Old Rose kept them from getting it.

by Anonymousreply 345October 8, 2021 4:53 PM

I watched the alternate ending above, but I haven't actually seen the movie. What is the difference between the endings, if you don't mind?

by Anonymousreply 346October 8, 2021 5:15 PM

R345 You feel terrible for a fictitious crew from a horribly written fake movie? You're a real fucking moron, buddy guy.

by Anonymousreply 347October 8, 2021 5:49 PM

r346, old Rose is all alone on the stern of the ship and tosses the necklace into the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 348October 8, 2021 5:53 PM

R348 But she never tossed it in reality. She was already dead, "an old woman, asleep in her bed" as Leo prophesied.

by Anonymousreply 349October 8, 2021 5:58 PM

Yes, she did. Rose had finally told her story,she was able to let go of the past and die peacefully.

by Anonymousreply 350October 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Thanks! That sounds like a better choice. That other ending was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 351October 8, 2021 6:02 PM

Cameron said that the whole boat scene was just Rose's dream. It never really happened in the movie. She never really went on the boat.

by Anonymousreply 352October 8, 2021 6:08 PM

So she never met the boat crew and told them her story? She was home in bed that whole time?

by Anonymousreply 353October 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Link, r352? I can believe her dying in bed and the return to Titanic being her reunion with Jack in the afterlife, not that the entire trip to the research vessel with her granddaughter was a dream.

by Anonymousreply 354October 8, 2021 6:28 PM

I wouldn't know where that interview is. He was taking questions from the audience and people were talking about the controversy about the very end where Rose meets Jack at the stairs and everyone claps. He said that they left it open ended so the audience can draw its own conclusion if that is where Rose died in her bed and was reunited with her lost love in the afterlife. He said they purposely left out the bad guys to show that she was in "heaven". Then someone asked if Rose was really on the boat at the end and he kind of winked and said: what do you think?

by Anonymousreply 355October 8, 2021 6:36 PM

So Jack was the love of her life, even after she married and had kids with another man? Nice! Rose was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 356October 8, 2021 6:40 PM

Every girl knows that some men you just fuck and others you marry. Rose didn't want to "marry" a penniless loser.

by Anonymousreply 357October 8, 2021 6:41 PM

Well, plus the fact that he was dead.

by Anonymousreply 358October 8, 2021 6:44 PM

R358 Rose wouldn't have married him if he had lived. She was clearly looking to marry her way up.

by Anonymousreply 359October 8, 2021 6:46 PM

Nah, I got the impression that Rose lived a free-wheeling, flapper's life in the 20s before settling down with some schmo who she loved, but not as much as she cherished Jack. I didn't get the feeling that she lived a wealthy life after the Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 360October 8, 2021 6:50 PM

Why watch that shit now??

by Anonymousreply 361October 8, 2021 6:53 PM

Ruth either became a madam or died in poverty and squalor. She never really loved her daughter. She saw her as a bargaining chip she wanted to use to maintain her lifestyle. So, she sold her daughter off to the highest bidder. And just because a lot of people did it back in the day, doesn’t mean that they were right.

by Anonymousreply 362October 8, 2021 6:57 PM

I once read fanfic that continued Ruth's story. She was reduced to working as a lady-in-waiting to Cal's cruel new wife, the one he married instead of Rose. Rose returns somewhere prior to the 1929 market crash, without Cal finding out, and takes her mother away. She took care of her the rest of her life.

It was an interesting read. I found Ruth fascinating: so awful but so clearly damaged by the same system that was ensnaring Rose.

by Anonymousreply 363October 8, 2021 7:04 PM

Why is everyone a fucking victim to you scumbags? Cameron is and always has been a horrible writer. The "villains" of Titanic were paper thin and not humanized in any way. They are not deserving of any kind of history or legacy.

by Anonymousreply 364October 8, 2021 7:17 PM

I will not be ignored.

What about my song?

by Anonymousreply 365October 8, 2021 8:24 PM

Forsooth

by Anonymousreply 366October 9, 2021 12:41 AM

Rose returned The Heart of the Ocean to it's true owner...Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 367October 9, 2021 3:31 PM

Why are you speculating on Roses's life? Weren't there photos showing her thru the years, with a plane, acting.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368October 9, 2021 3:33 PM

Riding horses and flying planes is not something a woman barely scraping by would do.

by Anonymousreply 369October 9, 2021 3:35 PM

Rose lived a great life

by Anonymousreply 370October 9, 2021 3:37 PM

I saw a vintage Gloria Stuart film last night. The Three Musketeers, 1939. The film sucked but she was quite lovely as the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 371October 9, 2021 3:50 PM

^ You may wonder how you completely screw up such an old warhorse as The Three Musketeers. You turn it into a slapstick musical starring Don Ameche and The Ritz Brothers. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 372October 9, 2021 3:58 PM

[quote] Rose lived a great life

But in her last moment she realized she missed out on what was important

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373October 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Leo was gorgeous! Otherwise as a film soso.

by Anonymousreply 374October 9, 2021 4:29 PM

I have never seen this shitbag of a film and never will.

I vaguely recall seeing Jackie Brown in protest which is still my Top 5 favorite film of all time.

My friends went to Titanic and I chose Pam Grier.

And I have always wanted to know, was that old bag's performance worthy of an Oscar nomination or was this another Lauren Bacall situation?

SNL did a great parody of her- I think Cheri Oteri played her, It was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 375October 9, 2021 4:32 PM

Gloria was the heart of the film.

by Anonymousreply 376October 9, 2021 4:34 PM

Stuart was rather wooden, I thought. The nomination was because of the hype of the movie, not her performance.

by Anonymousreply 377October 9, 2021 4:37 PM

She was playing a woman in her 90s, no? Was she supposed to be jumping around and doing backflips?

by Anonymousreply 378October 9, 2021 4:38 PM

I know this isn't cool at all but I went to see Titanic in the cinema twice at the time. I loved it. And bluntly, a lot of other people did too, otherwise it wouldn't have grossed that much. It was the highest grossing movie at the time and even now it is in 3rd place.

by Anonymousreply 379October 9, 2021 4:42 PM

At the beginning of the week this film climbed back into Netflix's Top 10 most watched in the USA. Two days ago it climbed up to 8, and today its at 7, so people are watching it again (not that they ever stopped, I swear this movie is on a channel on TV at least once a week).

I have never seen something climb back into Netflix's Top 10 after falling out, especially after being on there for a couple of years now.

No wonder Netflix paid so much to hold onto it, people never stop watching it.

My 11 year old brother discovered it while it was on TV a couple of years ago. He loved it and watches it every time its on TV again. My mom won't let him watch the unedited version lol..

by Anonymousreply 380October 9, 2021 4:42 PM

They didn't make Old Rose look old enough. Gloria's Rose looked like an English professor only a few years away from retirement age.

They needed somebody really damn old and frail. Like Jane Wyman or somebody creaky-looking like that. Gloria Stuart still looked spry and hale.

by Anonymousreply 381October 9, 2021 4:44 PM

r379 why was that not cool? People were seeing it over and over back then, and then in 2009 Avatar was the same thing, people seeing it numerous times, making it the highest grossing movie of all time (a spot it lost briefly to Endgame but then regained).

I was 10 when Titanic was released and my mother took me and my sister to see it with my Grandma. I always wanted to see it again but they never took us, but when the VHS/DVD came out stores did a midnight release for it, and my stepdad bought it for me and my sister because we loved it.

by Anonymousreply 382October 9, 2021 4:46 PM

R382 Just look at a bunch of responses to this thread denigrating and mocking it. I certainly don't think it was some kind of arthouse masterpiece but I think it did its job well.

by Anonymousreply 383October 9, 2021 4:48 PM

Then in 2009, now an adult in my early 20s, I went to see Avatar and was amazed by it. I had never seen a film that looked so beautiful before (and still to this day no movie has amazed me with its visual beauty and use of 3d like this one) and saw it a total of 9 times. I loved it.

And every single time I saw it the theater was full, even months after being released. It was special.

Sadly, its a film that only works on the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 384October 9, 2021 4:50 PM

r383 what do DL comments mean? Nothing. They make nasty comments about everything and anything, no matter how good or bad.

by Anonymousreply 385October 9, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]I have never seen this shitbag of a film and never will.

Many people have and many will go to their graves not understanding how "Titanic" could become the highest grossing picture in history at the time without your $12.50.

by Anonymousreply 386October 9, 2021 4:57 PM

The absolute saddest story of the disaster was that of Rhoda Abbott. Look her up on Encyclopedia Titanica. It almost made me weep.

by Anonymousreply 387October 9, 2021 4:58 PM

$12.50???? Movie tickets were cheap still in 1997. We paid like $5 per ticket to see it in Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 388October 9, 2021 5:02 PM

PS the TV movie with Peter Gallagher, George C. Scott, Marilu Henner and Catherine Zeta-Jones is on Tubi. They also have other Titanic things....

by Anonymousreply 389October 9, 2021 5:12 PM

Wow R387 and she ended up settling in MY hometown !

by Anonymousreply 390October 9, 2021 5:17 PM

The central story of Rose and Jack was too ahistorical for me but the scenes showing what was going on below deck in the sinking ship were very well done.

by Anonymousreply 391October 9, 2021 5:32 PM

I saw Titanic three times in the theater, each time the theater was packed full and each time the audience was sobbing. I mean SOBBING like they were watching their own family members up there on the screen. Grown men were in tears. I've seen hundreds of movies in movie theaters, and I have never seen a movie provoke such an intense emotional reaction as Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 392October 9, 2021 8:17 PM

Thanks, [R290]. I neglected to add that. My post was already becoming a term paper and I wanted to keep it brief. One of the crew manning the boats was Hitchens, who was steering the ship when it collided with the iceberg. He manned the boat Molly Brown was in. He was in a ragged state of shock after the collison, I think. When he was manning the boat, I think he was the only crew member, because they were so short of crew members by the time #6 was lowered (it was one of the last boats lowered. Its occupants were shocked to see how far the ship had sunk, as it was so large you really couldn't tell how far it had sunk if you were on the boat deck). Anyway, he was just babbling endlessly, telling the occupants they were going to drift aimlessly for days, that after the ship sank the water would be filled with 'a bunch of stiffs' &c. He had no sense of direction, and one of the First Class ladies kindly pointed out the north star to him. Molly Brown wanted to row to keep warm and he replied to her rudely. One of the male passengers asked him if he knew he was speaking to a lady, at wh. point Molly Brown more or less took charge of the boat, and the women started rowing. Hitchens dived under the boards of the boat and hurled insults for the remainder of the night. On RMS Carpathia (the rescue ship), Hitchens further distinguished himself by grabbing more than his fair share of blankets provided to the survivors to 'doss down' on because there wasn't sufficient accommodation for them. Some lady or ladies abruptly pulled them away from him in a fit of pique. The voyage back to New York, wh. began Monday morning and ended Thursday night, has never really been covered in any depth and unfortunately, everybody who was there has snuffed it. It must've made Celebrity Big Brother look like a Xanax vacation in the Virgin Islands.

by Anonymousreply 393October 9, 2021 9:06 PM

R325 holy shit that alternate ending manages to make Rose's tossing the diamond away even worse. It's such a rich asshole version of depth--here's this valuable that could fund, oh, about a hundred orphanages in perpetuity, but I'll toss it away because life is about people not things.

I wish Cameron had found a way to incorporate the story of the drunk baker who unbelievably survived the frigid water with no serious injuries by doggy paddling for two hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394October 9, 2021 9:43 PM

It is odd that the voyage to NY was never really documented. I can only imagine how traumatized and shocked the passengers who survived were.

by Anonymousreply 395October 9, 2021 9:44 PM

If you're in the South and near an Ollie's, they have a nice big box set of a "Titanic" board game for $7. Worth that for the box art alone.

Just an FYI for fans.

by Anonymousreply 396October 9, 2021 9:45 PM

R395 there isn't much about their experience on Carpathia, but there was tons of press coverage when they arrived in NY and for a while after. Some of the survivors were recognizable enough to be stopped for autographs.

A lot of them really suffered after. There were several suicides, some after many years of suffering depression. One of the only "happy" Titanic survival stories I've ever heard was of the Navratil children. They were 2 and 4 year old boys who had been snatched by their father and traveling with fake names. Their mother left behind in France had no idea they were on the ship. They were put in a lifeboat but their father went down. They arrived in NY with no adult accompanying them and not speaking any English. Their mother recognized them in a newspaper story and traveled to NY to retrieve them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397October 9, 2021 10:04 PM

Winslet is really good in this at times. I saw it again last year. I love the scene where she sees the statue of liberty (and finds the necklace) in Jack's coat. She is such an inner life in the scene. You can see how much the character is grown from the loss she just went thru. She's become an independent adult like Jack wanted for her.

(she's girlish and submissive at the beginning.)

by Anonymousreply 398October 9, 2021 10:07 PM

Most historians consider The Baker's Tale a Tall Tale.

by Anonymousreply 399October 9, 2021 10:12 PM

Rose is not so much submissive as she doesn't have any options and sees no way out. She is very bratty in the beginning in a way that an immature person thinks of as rebellious. I did like her character arc (even if it was ridiculously sped up) that she learns she needs to live her principles, that it's not sufficient to just complain about the things in life she finds objectionable. Of course I still say throwing away that diamond is a straight up shit move and a betrayal of what her character was supposed to represent.

by Anonymousreply 400October 9, 2021 10:15 PM

I loved the move but Kate constantly screaming "JACK!!!" for the last half got on my nerves.

I read a story about a Titanic survivor who moved into an apartment across from Fenway Park not realizing the roar of the crowd would be unbearable because it sounded like the people during the sinking.

by Anonymousreply 401October 9, 2021 10:25 PM

She kept hearing the crowd yell "Jack!"

by Anonymousreply 402October 9, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote] loved the move but Kate constantly screaming "JACK!!!" for the last half got on my nerves

This movie was spoiled by the irritating child constantly calling out 'Baines' over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403October 10, 2021 12:05 AM

I like the line “a woman’s pussy is deep as the ocean”.

by Anonymousreply 404October 10, 2021 12:31 AM

This film is a pig's dump.

The posters here jerking off over it are delusional.

Its a schmaltzy blockbuster movie no better than that fucking Pearl Harbor film.

I actually dig Kate Winslet, and she is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 405October 10, 2021 1:04 AM

Kate definitely made the movie better than it was.

Molly Brown didn’t back down from Hichens as depicted in the movie either. Guess that Cameron didn’t want Brown to outshine his fictional Rose. But it was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 406October 10, 2021 2:13 AM

Molly did not get them to go back and get more people. That’s a fact.

by Anonymousreply 407October 10, 2021 2:19 AM

Dumb movie.

by Anonymousreply 408October 10, 2021 2:47 AM

Molly Brown's house...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409October 10, 2021 3:05 AM

Baker Charles Joughin is featured briefly in the movie - he and Rose glance at each other on the stern just as the final plunge begins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410October 10, 2021 3:21 AM

I lived about 2 blocks behind her house R409 . It is very middle class victorian .The interiors were disappointing too,I expected at least lavish things considering her wealth.

by Anonymousreply 411October 10, 2021 4:23 AM

Did the baker survive r410?

by Anonymousreply 412October 10, 2021 4:27 AM

Kathy Bates is really underrated in this. She should have got Gloria Stuart's nomination. The way she says (I always forget the exact quote. Someone gave me it on another thread) "oh dear god" or something like that as she sees the ship go up in the air is haunting as is the way she yells "its your men back there!!"

So how many people did Molly Brown's lifeboat save?

by Anonymousreply 413October 10, 2021 4:31 AM

the necklace is annoying. Jack didn't give it to her. Billy Zane did.

Rose should have sold it as soon as Zane died or at least given it to her grand daughter who is apparently taking care of her. No. Dumb old woman throws it in the water. I guess it does close the movie in a way and justifies the Bill Paxton character but when you think about it too much it seems like a dumb thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 414October 10, 2021 4:33 AM

Molly Brown's home was actually kind of grand for turn of the last century Denver. Leadville Johnny Brown was an extremely wealthy man and Denver wasn't exactly Manhattan or Paris. it was good enough for someone who spent her early life in dirt poor poverty.

by Anonymousreply 415October 10, 2021 4:34 AM

Yes, the baker survived. Amazingly, he suffered no ill effects from being submerged in the icy water for hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416October 10, 2021 4:36 AM

Reba McEntire was originally cast as Molly Brown. But production was delayed and she had tour oblations she had to fulfill and dropped out.

by Anonymousreply 417October 10, 2021 4:37 AM

Reba would have been great in the early scenes. Maybe even better than Kathy who didn't seem like that much of an outcast.

But she wouldn't have brought Bates' gravitas to the lifeboat scenes.

by Anonymousreply 418October 10, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote]Yes, the baker survived. Amazingly, he suffered no ill effects from being submerged in the icy water for hours.

That's because his story wasn't true, apart from the part about being drunk. As posted above, it was a tall tale the press fell in love with.

by Anonymousreply 419October 10, 2021 4:40 AM

r419 Wiki says he didn't have any ill effects.

by Anonymousreply 420October 10, 2021 4:43 AM

He had no ill effects cause he was drunk off his ass.

by Anonymousreply 421October 10, 2021 4:46 AM

Did Jack pull out or did he creampie Rose?

by Anonymousreply 422October 10, 2021 4:46 AM

Of course he didn't. He wasn't in the water for hours. If he had been he wouldn't have been alive to make up his tall tale.

by Anonymousreply 423October 10, 2021 4:46 AM

He was in the water for over two hours, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 424October 10, 2021 4:49 AM

Where else would he be other than in the water? (didn't read the wiki entry yet.)

by Anonymousreply 425October 10, 2021 4:52 AM

I hated that fucking Celine Dion song, and you couldn't escape from it. It was played endlessly for months and months.

by Anonymousreply 426October 10, 2021 4:56 AM

He was in the water for over two hours only according to him. No witnesses because because nobody else in the water survived for two hours because it would have been physically impossible. I do admire his ability to survive however he did and to spin a good story for the press.

by Anonymousreply 427October 10, 2021 4:56 AM

R425 On a boat. There were some lifeboats. Not enough but there were some.

by Anonymousreply 428October 10, 2021 4:57 AM

He could have stayed all toasty in a lifeboat, then jumped out and swam to another lifeboat saying he had been in the water for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 429October 10, 2021 5:01 AM

Yes, 428. And more boats wouldn't have helped, only more time to launch them. Only 18 of her 20 boats were able to be launched. The last two washed off as she sank although they did save some people.

by Anonymousreply 430October 10, 2021 5:01 AM

Wouldn't somebody have said "Hey, that baker jumped out of our boat and swam to another boat. He's a goddamn liar."

by Anonymousreply 431October 10, 2021 5:04 AM

How'd Frances Fisher ever got the part as the mother. She doesn't really seem upper class enough for the role.

by Anonymousreply 432October 10, 2021 5:07 AM

I thought Frances Fisher did an excellent job.

by Anonymousreply 433October 10, 2021 5:10 AM

Ruth was such a cunt. She didn't even insist they go back because Rose might be in the water.

by Anonymousreply 434October 10, 2021 5:14 AM

Ruth knew how to handle a disobedient child.

by Anonymousreply 435October 10, 2021 5:17 AM

When the ship's architect Thomas Andrews, who was onboard to check for changes that might need to be made, went below decks to check the damage, he came back up and told Captain Smith the ship had an hour to live. She lasted for two hours and forty minutes. Andrews was much better than he thought he was.

by Anonymousreply 436October 10, 2021 5:20 AM

Anything is possible, but the baker faking being in the water that long is unlikely. He was pretty recognizable and didn't make it onto the lifeboat he was assigned to. There was extensive testimony taken from the survivors and it's hard to imagine no one would mention seeing a crew member jump off a lifeboat who was getting press for surviving all that time in the water.

by Anonymousreply 437October 10, 2021 5:21 AM

R395 False. There was no extreme victim culture back then, like today's bitches, babies, and wimps. People were more resilient and would have moved on, no problemo.

by Anonymousreply 438October 10, 2021 7:53 AM

Second Officer Charles Lightoller had an extraordinary life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439October 10, 2021 7:54 AM

And was something of a cunt. On his side of the ship, he interpreted "the rule of the sea" as women and children only and sent a lot of boats away half empty. On the other side, the officers correctly interpreted the rule as women and children first, not only, and more people got off the ship.

by Anonymousreply 440October 10, 2021 8:09 AM

In Cameron's film he's depicted as accepting a bribe from Cal and shooting himself in the head. In the 1999 TV movie he's a rapist!

by Anonymousreply 441October 10, 2021 8:26 AM

[quote]Kathy Bates is really underrated in this. She should have got Gloria Stuart's nomination.

Yeah but her rendition of "Belly Up to The Bar Boys" was weak.

by Anonymousreply 442October 10, 2021 9:03 AM

R432 I thought she was perfectly cast.

Ruth was broke. Her husband left them in debt. She needed her daughter to marry rich to maintain her lifestyle.

She was not born and raised in money, she married into it.

by Anonymousreply 443October 10, 2021 2:57 PM

Oh my God!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444October 10, 2021 3:11 PM

Stuart was the heart of the film. She was getting in no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 445October 10, 2021 3:12 PM

R413, boat 6 had 28 occupants in it. When it was launched, most onboard didn’t think the ship would sink. Then, after it did, many of the lifeboat occupants were worried that if they did row back to pick up people in the water, they’d possibly be swamped.

by Anonymousreply 446October 10, 2021 3:13 PM

R432 = Clint Eastwood

by Anonymousreply 447October 10, 2021 3:15 PM

Drunk History, appropriately enough, has the story of the baker. Starts at 12:10 in the linked video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448October 10, 2021 4:13 PM

The prior Titanic movie's take on the Baker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449October 10, 2021 6:05 PM

The Countess of Rothes barely appears in this film (she's one of Ruth's snooty friends) but she was widely reported to have behaved quite heroically.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450October 10, 2021 11:47 PM

r449, I loved this version of Joughin's experience. The actor played him with a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 451October 11, 2021 12:03 AM

Cut behind the scenes photos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452October 11, 2021 12:13 AM

CUTE, I meant, not cut.

by Anonymousreply 453October 11, 2021 12:13 AM

The actress playing the Countess of Rothes and Frances Fisher on the set....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454October 11, 2021 12:15 AM

R452 WTF! Is that a 7kb pic from 1912, you frickin' dinosaur. Technology has changed since 1912, keep up, cold sore factory.

On another note, Billy Zane's hair-piece should have won the Oscar. It did all the work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455October 11, 2021 9:47 AM

Cameron wasted millions on this scene only for it to be cut. Can't believe it was even written in the first place - Cameron, you don't need to put the characters in further peril! They're on the fucking Titanic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456October 11, 2021 2:14 PM

I saw his director’s cut of [italic]Aliens[/italic]. While interesting, it kinda screwed up the flow of the film. Could that be the reason why he’s never did a director’s cut of this movie?

by Anonymousreply 457October 11, 2021 4:06 PM

I remember Cameron once saying that he didn't plan to release a director's cut as he thinks Titanic is fine as it is, R457. There's a fan edit out there which cuts most of Jack and Rose's scenes and focuses instead on the historical characters.

by Anonymousreply 458October 12, 2021 1:24 PM

I am eagerly awaiting the 2022 release of "Titanic: The Iceberg Cometh," starring Timothee Chalamet as the Captain of the ill-fated luxury liner.

Other crew members will be portrayed by actors named "Chris." The courageous musicians will be re-imagined as K-Pop with BTS.

The requisite doomed shipboard romance will feature Elliott Page and Caitlyn Jenner.

Depicting the Unsinkable Molly Brown will be, in an unusual casting, Reality TV twins Darcey and Stacey.

The Deck Chair Bunch will include Olivia DeHavilland and a hologram of Larry King.

In a brief cameo appearance, shown laughingly tossing chunks of ice off the deck, will be the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The remaining cast will be selected from Instagram and Tik-Tok.

by Anonymousreply 459October 12, 2021 3:23 PM

R459 don’t give them ideas.

by Anonymousreply 460October 12, 2021 3:25 PM

NO smoking in costume, r454!!!

by Anonymousreply 461October 12, 2021 3:30 PM

Truly a night to remember...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462October 12, 2021 5:54 PM

[quote] There's a fan edit out there which cuts most of Jack and Rose's scenes and focuses instead on the historical characters.

THAT I would watch

by Anonymousreply 463October 12, 2021 6:56 PM

Titanic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464October 12, 2021 7:11 PM

The 1953 also had the annoying Robert Wagner romantic subplot but that was just a minor element of the film. Not the damn focus.

by Anonymousreply 465October 12, 2021 7:14 PM

FU haters! This movie was and WILL always be a phenomenon. This movie had legs and the box office actually increased in some weeks due to the word of mouth despite a reduction of screens. It went on and on like Celine's song for months. People LOVED this movie. Also saw Avatar in a massive Imax theatre in Sydney during my holiday in Australia at the time. My father in-law was blown away by the experience even though he does not speak English! He bought every version of the film and can not wait for the next release. Say what you want about Cameron but he KNOWS how to make movies that are extremely popular which touch our hearts. Other recent big movies including Star Wars, Fast and Furious, and ALL of Marvel Comics movies are far away from this. They are completely forgettable and have no lasting impression despite their enormous success

by Anonymousreply 466October 12, 2021 7:56 PM

A great part of the allure of the Titanic genre is its real tragedy, both in human and in Classical dramatic terms.

by Anonymousreply 467October 12, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote] People LOVED this movie

More particularly 14 year old girls

by Anonymousreply 468October 12, 2021 8:31 PM

I was in college at the time and EVERYBODY saw Titanic. It was hugely popular with younger Gen Xers. Obviously, since Leo and Kate are that age as well.

by Anonymousreply 469October 12, 2021 8:38 PM

Simplicity patterns that year...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 470October 12, 2021 10:00 PM

This year the big movie was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471October 12, 2021 10:02 PM

The 1953 version had cracking dialogue, especially between the married couple played by Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. Don’t particularly care for Webb, but their scenes are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 472October 12, 2021 11:58 PM

[R436], the pumps in the engine room kept the water out for as long as they could, that's why the ship didn't sink in an hour. Everything was fine until the bulkhead separating the bow from the superstructure gave way around 0215. That is what caused the forward funnel to topple over, the hawsers securing it gave way and it fell foward on to J J Astor, among others. Astor's body had 35k IN 1912 DOLLARS on it when it was fished from the Atlantic by the Mackay-Bennett.

by Anonymousreply 473October 13, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] 35k IN 1912 DOLLARS

How many coins is that?

by Anonymousreply 474October 13, 2021 2:36 AM

[quote]The 1953 version had cracking dialogue, especially between the married couple played by Barbara Stanwyck and Clifton Webb. Don’t particularly care for Webb, but their scenes are excellent.

But Barb was fucking ingenue Robert Wagner in the dressing room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475October 13, 2021 10:30 AM

My mum cried so hard at Titanic that one of the other cinema-goers actually came over to ask if she was okay as the credits were rolling. She was mortified. I think they must have thought she'd suffered a recent bereavement or something.

by Anonymousreply 476October 14, 2021 2:52 PM

Inflation calculator

$35,000 in 1912 is worth $989,778.35 today

by Anonymousreply 477October 14, 2021 3:50 PM

Rewatching it now. Winslet is really amazing right out of the gate. Amazing what she did with a bad script, so-so actors and a lot of effects. Other than the special effects she's the only realistic thing in the movie. Let's give the Oscar to Helen Hunt!!

by Anonymousreply 478October 15, 2021 2:51 AM

I thought all of the actors were great, although Stuart was wooden.

by Anonymousreply 479October 15, 2021 3:03 AM

The 1953 Titanic has one of my favorite exchange of lines. I don't quite remember it verbatim, but it's something like this:

Webb: You'll never take my son away from me! NEVER!

Stanwyck: He's not your son.

by Anonymousreply 480October 15, 2021 3:36 AM

^ Stanwyck was such a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 481October 15, 2021 3:45 AM

r480, very close. According to IMDB, the exchange goes like this:

Richard Sturges : [after Richard and Julia have been quarreling over who will have custody of their son] May dear Julia, I've been around enough bridge tables to recognize someone who's holding a high trump - play it now if you will.

Julia Sturges : We'll discuss it later.

Richard Sturges : Now!

Julia Sturges : All right, Richard. One question first?

Richard Sturges : If it's about Norman, you know the answer. No court in the world, no power in the heavens can force me to give up my son.

Julia Sturges : He is not your son.

by Anonymousreply 482October 15, 2021 3:59 AM

Oh, snap.

by Anonymousreply 483October 15, 2021 4:25 AM

OP is a frau in her 50's.

by Anonymousreply 484October 15, 2021 5:00 AM

An interesting article comparing the 1997 version to the more fact-based 1958 film…I reckon that both have their place in filmdom:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485October 27, 2021 12:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!