Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus Megathread 10: Don’t Dream it’s Over

Creating this thread since thread 9 is almost at 600 and Sylvia hasn’t posted a new one. (Apologies Sylvia if I have overstepped)

Anyway I am starting this post with the hope that it’l be close to the last, hence the title. Here’s to vaccines, optimism and a post Delta lull.

by Anonymousreply 500December 15, 2021 12:16 AM

Covid-19 revealed to me just how much more disappointing the human race was than I realised. I am still cautiously optimistic (heavy on the caution).

by Anonymousreply 1October 3, 2021 12:23 AM

I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but it's hard.

If you don't mind, I'm going to repost my question that I posted in the last post of the previous thread. I'm too young for the boosters, but I hope they approve it for younger ages soon.

To those who have gotten a booster, are side effects like after the second shot? I ended up taking a sick day the day after the second Pfizer shot because I felt like crap. Wondering if I'll have to do same when I'm eligible for booster

by Anonymousreply 2October 3, 2021 1:12 AM

I'd somehow lost track of Thread 9; I didn't even know that anyone was posting to it. So thanks, EL!

What do we think about the COVID pill from Merck?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2021 1:24 AM

R2, I got my Pfizer booster about a month ago and I had the same reaction as I did the first two times- just a sore arm.

Under 65, but immunocompromised.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2021 1:31 AM

From link at R3

[quote]The results have not been reviewed by outside experts, the usual procedure for vetting new medical research.

I hope they're not jumping the gun on this with false hopes, already talking about seeking an EUA. Filing with FDA with data that has not been peer reviewed is risky.

Sounds promising, if the data is good.

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2021 1:50 AM

R2, my booster did a number on me. Feeling sore and inflamed. Everyone's different (see R4), but I would aim for getting it on the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2021 1:56 AM

Not optimistic or pessimistic. Like R1, I'm deeply disappointed in the human race. I'm beginning to think there's no hope, that the ideals and values I was raised with are no more real than Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Some reasons why I feel this way:

So many anti-vaxxers unable to understand logic and keeping the pandemic alive

70 million or so votes for Scum Trump. Really? An evil malicious narcissist, cheating, self-serving liar in the White House. Sick.

Climate Change and global warming

Millions of life forms are going extinct

Humans greedily gobble up earth's resources and breed like rabbits and still want more and more

Our seas are dying, islands of plastic and rapidly dropping fish populations

The idea that some people are perfectly comfortable with a house full of assault weapons while supporting the ban of abortions. Murder, mass shootings, and massacres don't bother them but don't you dare touch that embryo!

Religious extremists of all types. Just be a good person goddammit, believe in whatever god you choose but stop trying to impose your beliefs on others.

Income inequality, the rich cheating the poor, huge tax cuts and reduction in essential services

And on and on. I used to think there were more smart, good people than bad, now I think the worst. For every human action there seems to be a criminal reaction. Witness the deluge of phone scams and identity theft, credit card fraud, and white collar crime. From top to bottom one can find corruption. How will the earth survive humans? Maybe we'll be extinct soon from our own willful ignorance and hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2021 2:19 AM

Got the booster yesterday, some sleepiness overall and some heart pain right now. But that may be from the 2 cupcakes I just ate.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Took an anticipatory analgesic.

No big deal. Booster had minimal side effects. Injection site itched for a day (as did my last flu shot).

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2021 2:52 AM

Where I live there is a mandatory mask requirement. Went to Krogers. Probably 20 percent were not wearing masks. And some were even coughing into the air.. This is never going away. It just ain't. And the Trump Cult Members won't comply. There is no punishment for the Anti-Vaxxers---that is the first problem. Ban them from stores. Ban them from Restaurants. When they get hungry or need beer they will get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2021 3:19 AM

Hi Sylvia!!!R3. I understand the technology for the pill came from researchers at Emory. I am attaching a good discussion from Twitter. The DSMB stopping the study early because it was no longer ethical to give anyone placebo anymore based on the interim findings is as good as, if not is better than, a peer reviewed publication in my book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2021 12:14 PM

[quote] Took an anticipatory analgesic.

Surprise anal is better.

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2021 12:57 PM

The Trumpist anti-vaxx plan--just let everybody catch Covid as quickly as possible so they'll develop herd immunity and the pandemic will be over sooner--has run into a few bumps. Such as, herd immunity is apparently not a thing with a virus that's mutating this quickly into forms that are easier to catch, can be carried and transmitted by asymptomatic and even vaccinated people, and is currently working its way through the (mostly unvaxxinated) entire 7.7 billion population of Earth.

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2021 1:26 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]I'm too young for the boosters, but I hope they approve it for younger ages soon.

Me too:

“It’s good that the US and UK are giving boosters to their elderly,” said a health official, asking for anonymity to speak freely. “But it’s a political decision not to follow Israel’s lead, not a medical one. That the vaccine is not good after six-eight months is no longer a secret.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2021 6:45 PM

I was toward the “very careful” end of the spectrum during pre-vaccine covid times, and for a while when Delta started rearing its head. Lately, I still wear my mask and follow the rules and guidelines, but have been feeling significantly less anxiety and fear about covid, pretty close to being back to normal life.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2021 6:45 PM

[quote] What do we think about the COVID pill from Merck?

It will the anti-vaxxers, but it has to be taken immediately. With the Delta variant, some people got really sick very quickly.

Of course it will cost a fortune. I don't want the taxpayers to pay for this

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2021 6:55 PM

[quote] I'm too young for the boosters, but I hope they approve it for younger ages soon.

Just because you look 63 doesn't change the fact that you're 78. Go get the booster.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2021 7:35 PM

There's an LA Rams game in LA today. A superspreader event. And all it takes is one person who is there to get on an airplane and fly to another city to spread the latest iteration of the virus. I don't understand why so many people, and I don't mean that in the abstract, I mean people around here where I live, walking around without masks. Esp. as it's mandated by the governer to wear them outdoors. Are they trying to make some kind of statement against authority?

by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2021 7:39 PM

There's an outdoors mask mandate in CA, r19?

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2021 7:44 PM

Yes, it was put in effect on August 19th for outdoor events with gatherings of over 5000 (i think) people. I had tickets for the Mets/Dodgers game the day it went into effect. No one bothered.

T-Mobile Park in Seattle also mandated masks for everyone at the all the games about 10 days ago. Every game I've watched, I see maybe 13 of spectators wearing them. I'm sure some have them off to eat or drink, but I'm seeing a lot of lumps sitting there doing nothing but mouth breathing with their masks off. No one is enforcing this.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2021 8:44 PM

Haha R18, I wish I could. If you must know, I'll be 60 in 2 months. Hoping I'll be in the 2nd wave of eligibility.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2021 9:01 PM

That I'm aware of, r21. Your "I mean people around here where I live, walking around without masks. Esp. as it's mandated by the governer to wear them outdoors." was misleading.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2021 9:23 PM

R15 My question is: does the Pfizer booster only confer another 6-8 months of high levels of protection from infection, or longer? I suppose no one has that data yet.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2021 9:28 PM

I hope so too, R22.

by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2021 9:28 PM

It surprised me that my first shot, with AstraZeneca, did a real number on me. Felt like a truck had run over me, twice. Two days later I was back to normal.

The second shot was with Pfizer, and apart from feeling a little tired, I didn't notice anything. My booster shot will be Pfizer, too, but that'll probably be somewhere in January.

by Anonymousreply 26October 4, 2021 7:36 AM

R26 = LIE....They do not mix vaccines in the U.S.....They do it in Germany and other countries.

by Anonymousreply 27October 4, 2021 8:56 AM

R27 Why so fast to accuse someone of lying? Dutchie @R26 lives in the EU.

by Anonymousreply 28October 4, 2021 9:14 AM

R26 lives in Allentown Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 29October 4, 2021 9:18 AM

They also don’t give AstraZeneca in the US. I think it is pretty well established that Dutchie is in the EU.

And FWIW, while they don’t mix vaccines as a matter of policy in the US, that doesn’t mean some people aren’t anyway. I have a friend who took Moderna after getting J&J (after being told by her doctor that the J&J probably didn’t work because she hadn’t gone off methotrexate for long enough before the shot.) She just walked into a pharmacy and they did it. And my parents have a friend who got J&J who did something similar. I know less of the details on that one, but I think it was Pfizer and she might have only done the one shot, and not the two shot series)

by Anonymousreply 30October 4, 2021 10:02 AM

I went to the doctor the other day about a flu shot since in Eastern Europe only family doctors can give it to you and (fun) you have to buy the actual vial at the pharmacy and take it there. I signed up for the booster with Pfizer and she said to check my antibodies and THEN go. Apparently, if your antibodies are sufficient, you can delay it even 9 months.

by Anonymousreply 31October 4, 2021 10:27 AM

FYI Dutchie @R26, she is a compatriot of yours married to a brilliant (and INSANELY hot) psychiatrist here. She isn't much to look at, but is incredibly intelligent and has published a lot. She suggested testing antibodies once a month and Vitamin D3 checks (mine is low, so I need to go on an 8 month plan of taking 6000 IU for 2 months, 4000 IU for another 2 and so on).

I told her about your "combo" and she said that the efficacy/safety of combos is still being studied and not allowed yet in Romania. I can't imagine how she can stand being here with a 8.5/1000 infection rate, 30% vaccination and the ICU's at 98%. My roommate ran into a friend who gave her a jolly big hug and then said "oh...had the flu last week...one test came back positive for COVID and another negative". We both got tested like crazy and we are negative (than God). It does, however, show you the level of disregard for the virus present in the developing world. Can't even imagine the 3rd world. So yeah, I am pessimistic.

by Anonymousreply 32October 4, 2021 10:33 AM

Over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 4, 2021 10:44 AM

I'm busy working on a new more lethal variant as you all discuss me.

Africa looks like a good breeding ground as all you rich nations are barely doing anything to help vaccinate them. You will pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 34October 4, 2021 10:57 AM

Africa may have some degree of innate immunity against the virus. That may help account for the fact that, aside from South Africa, the continent hasn't been hit as hard as the rest of the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 4, 2021 11:29 AM

The subunit particle and non-replicating viral vaccines are on their way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2021 11:50 AM

ElderLez, have I told you lately that I love you?

What's a non-replicating viral vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2021 12:02 PM

R37 - that ElderLez is one of the smartest (if not the smartest) DL-ers is well known.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2021 12:04 PM

Love you more.

It’s a vaccine that works by using an infectious, but not dangerous, virus that is incapable of making copies of itself to carry the vaccine information into cells. The chicken egg vaccine I’ve been harping on for over a year is an example. It carries a cool artificial spike protein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2021 12:15 PM

[quote](Apologies Sylvia if I have overstepped)

Are you serious? What is this, grade ten?

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2021 12:32 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2021 12:36 PM

In addition to WW and F&F, we need an ALARM!!! selection for posts like r41.

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2021 12:42 PM

I'm boosted! Huzzah!

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2021 2:26 PM

Covid's Two-Month Cycle (from NYT)

Covid-19 is once again in retreat.

[quote] The reasons remain somewhat unclear, and there is no guarantee that the decline in caseloads will continue. But the turnaround is now large enough — and been going on long enough — to deserve attention.

[quote] The number of new daily cases in the U.S. has fallen 35 percent since Sept. 1:

[quote] Worldwide, cases have also dropped more than 30 percent since late August. “This is as good as the world has looked in many months,” Dr. Eric Topol of Scripps Research wrote last week.

[quote] These declines are consistent with a pattern that regular readers of this newsletter will recognize: Covid’s mysterious two-month cycle. Since the Covid virus began spreading in late 2019, cases have often surged for about two months — sometimes because of a variant, like Delta — and then declined for about two months.

[quote] Epidemiologists do not understand why. Many popular explanations, like seasonality or the ebbs and flows of social distancing, are clearly insufficient, if not wrong. The two-month cycle has occurred during different seasons of the year and occurred even when human behavior was not changing in obvious ways....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2021 3:33 PM

Oh good, so the next surge should come just in time for xmas.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2021 3:35 PM

The NYT article at r44 also says

[quote] ‘The last major wave’?

[quote] Eventually, immunity will become widespread enough that another wave as large and damaging as the Delta wave will not be possible. “Barring something unexpected,” Dr. Scott Gottlieb, a former F.D.A. commissioner and the author of “Uncontrolled Spread,” a new book on Covid, told me, “I’m of the opinion that this is the last major wave of infection.”

[quote] Covid also isn’t going to disappear anytime soon. It will continue to circulate for years, many scientists believe. But the vaccines can transform Covid into a manageable disease, not so different from a flu or common cold. In the past few weeks, the country appears to have moved closer to that less grim future.

[quote] Whatever this autumn brings, the worst of the pandemic is almost certainly behind us.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2021 3:39 PM

New Zealand admits it can no longer get rid of coronavirus

WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand’s government acknowledged Monday what most other countries did long ago: It can no longer completely get rid of the coronavirus.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced a cautious plan to ease lockdown restrictions in Auckland, despite an outbreak there that continues to simmer.

Since early in the pandemic, New Zealand had pursued an unusual zero-tolerance approach to the virus through strict lockdowns and aggressive contact tracing.

Until recently, that elimination strategy had worked remarkably well for the country of 5 million, which has reported just 27 virus deaths.

While other nations faced rising death tolls and disrupted lives, New Zealanders went back to workplaces, school yards and sports stadiums safe from any community spread.

But that all changed when the more contagious delta variant somehow escaped from a quarantine facility in August after it was brought into the country from a traveler returning from Australia.

Despite New Zealand going into the strictest form of lockdown after just a single local case was detected, it ultimately wasn’t enough to crush the outbreak entirely.

One factor may have been that the disease spread among some groups that are typically more wary of authorities, including gang members and homeless people living in transitional housing.

The outbreak has grown to more than 1,300 cases, with 29 more detected on Monday. A few cases have been found outside of Auckland.

Ardern said that seven weeks of lockdown restrictions in Auckland had helped keep the outbreak under control.

“For this outbreak, it’s clear that long periods of heavy restrictions has not got us to zero cases,” Ardern said. “But that is OK. Elimination was important because we didn’t have vaccines. Now we do, so we can begin to change the way we do things.”

New Zealand began its vaccination campaign slowly compared to most other developed nations. Rates rocketed in August after the outbreak began but have dropped off significantly again since then.

About 65% of New Zealanders have had at least one dose and 40% are fully vaccinated. Among people age 12 and older, about 79% have had at least a single jab.

Under Ardern’s plan that starts Tuesday, Aucklanders will be able to meet outdoors with loved ones from one other household, early childhood centers will reopen and people will be able to go to the beach.

The dates for a phased reopening of retail stores and later bars and restaurants have yet to be decided.

Ardern said the elimination strategy had served the country incredibly well but the government always intended to eventually transition to the protection of vaccines, a change hastened by the delta variant “game changer.”

The government’s elimination approach had been broadly supported by New Zealanders but was facing increasing criticism. Over the weekend, hundreds of people turned out to rallies protesting the lockdown.

Opposition lawmaker Chris Bishop said the government had no clear strategy to deal with the outbreak other than total surrender.

But Ardern said that most measures would remain in place to keep the outbreak under control, including exhaustive contact tracing and isolating those who got infected. –– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“There’s good cause for us to feel optimistic about the future,” Ardern said. “But we cannot rush.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2021 4:27 PM

I believe I am in grade 45 R40.

Speaking of grades, I almost missed my train this evening because filthy anti-vax NYC public school teachers were out spewing their germs in the streets of mid-town and blocking the subway entrances. Given the fact that it is raining hard now, I am guessing they are all shoved together under umbrellas at the moment sharing Delta.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2021 9:37 PM

There was a program on NPR on Sunday that had a story about a British man who contracted CV-19, and despite many treatments, had something like 6-10 mutations of the virus in his body at any given time. When one treatment was given, the main CV virus was suppressed, but the other variants took over. I forget what the first 2 treatments were, but he had 2 infusions of convalescent plasma and then ultimately died.

by Anonymousreply 49October 5, 2021 12:59 AM

Worthless Faucci had to backpeddle on his latest stupid remarks. Biden needs to find a replacement. This clown has ZERO new information and just repeats himself over and over again. Thirty Years. He didn't cure AIDS and he sure isn't doing much for Covid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 5, 2021 1:08 AM

My goodness, r50, you're such a negative Nellie. In the *Pelosi pulls $1.2T infrastructure bill from promised House vote. AOC wins* thread you posted:

"WHY should the government pay for childcare?. Shouldn't the BURDEN of childcare be a deterrent to mothers who keep tossing fatherless children from their vaginas?"

by Anonymousreply 51October 5, 2021 2:04 AM

Well, this is just fucking great. What the fuck did we bother for?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 5, 2021 3:01 AM

R51 = A Stalker?....Well that sounds normal and like you have nothing better to do with your life. How Flattering....Also WHY should I pay for childcare?. YOUR BRATS. YOUR PROBLEM....Next?

by Anonymousreply 53October 5, 2021 3:06 AM

Well, R52, we bothered because it was the best possible thing we could have done, and it works great for at least 6 months. :eyeroll:

How do we feel about the article excerpts at R44/46? Too optimistic? Anyone think they can take on Scott Gottlieb with a bold prediction that a worse variant is on the way?

by Anonymousreply 54October 5, 2021 3:10 AM

the make up artist for a netflix show bridgeton died. he was only 53, he was double vaxed and no underlying conditions. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 55October 5, 2021 3:23 AM

I just don't understand why these studies are coming out that the vaccine wanes dangerously after 4 months and yet most people can't get boosters. All this is going to do is get us right back where we were a year ago. Vaccines are going to waste, yet they keep withholding. This is fucking insanity. And the lowered efficacy has little to do with Delta. I have a booster and now I'm worried I got it too early (Aug 25). I can't keep diving under the bed every four months until everyone gets their fucking stories straight and decides we need another booster, but I sure as shit don't feel terribly protected right now.

by Anonymousreply 56October 5, 2021 3:28 AM

Whirlpool will pay workers $1,000 to get vaccinated

From CNN’s Matt Egan

Whirlpool is offering to pay workers who get vaccinated $1,000.

The new vaccine incentive, confirmed by Whirlpool to CNN, shows how companies are trying to encourage reluctant workers to get vaccinated.

This vaccine bonus comes as the Biden administration prepares an emergency rule that will require large companies, like Whirlpool, to ensure their entire workforce is vaccinated or subject them to weekly testing. Biden officials say companies that violate this rule could face fines of up to $14,000 per violation.

Whirlpool was already offering employees a smaller vaccine incentive but rolled out the $1,000 incentive last week.

Chad Parks, a company spokesperson, said the stepped-up vaccine bonus will apply to workers who were previously vaccinated as well as newly vaccinated ones. He declined to say how much the previous incentive was for.

“Our employees' health and safety remains our top priority,” Whirlpool said in a statement. “Throughout this pandemic they have been working tirelessly to serve our consumers, who are depending on our products more than ever to clean, cook and provide proper food and medicine storage in their homes, and we are working to ensure we can deliver.”

The $1,000 vaccine incentive by Whirlpool matches one launched earlier this summer by Vanguard, one of the world’s largest asset managers. Vanguard’s $1,000 incentive applies to the company’s roughly 16,500 US employees who show proof of vaccination by Oct. 1.

A number of other companies have offered more modest incentives to get vaccinated. Kroger has said vaccinated employees will get a one-time payment of $100, while Bolthouse Farms offered a $500 bonus.

by Anonymousreply 57October 5, 2021 3:46 AM

Research “absolutely” shows masking lowers Covid-19 outbreaks in schools, CDC director says

From CNN’s Virginia Langmaid)

Available data supports masking in schools to prevent Covid-19 and does not indicate that masking in school poses a risk to children, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Monday.

Responding to a question from NBC’s Hoda Kotb on whether there is anything about masking in schools parents should have a “real worry about,” Walensky said, “We have not seen any science that defends that point of view.”

“What I can say is that we’ve started to see even this month data from Los Angeles County, that rates in children are three and a half times higher in areas that have not practiced the mitigation strategies compared to those that are. So with the purpose of keeping our kids in school, getting them in school, having them be safe, masks really are the way to go," she said.

Walensky said data does show that masking in schools can reduce school closures.

“We have seen data after data that have demonstrated that schools that are not masking are closing because they’re having outbreaks. Schools from Georgia we saw last year had 37% less closure, less outbreaks, when they use masks,” she said.

“I would say that data actually absolutely show that masking decreases outbreaks in schools," she added.

by Anonymousreply 58October 5, 2021 3:47 AM

FDA scheduled meetings to discuss booster shots for Moderna and J&J

[quote] The Food and Drug Administration has announced three important October dates regarding booster shots and COVID-19 vaccines for kids.

[quote] On October 14, an advisory panel will discuss Moderna's request for booster shots for people ages 18 and older.

[quote] The next day, on October 15, the panel will discuss whether those who got the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine need a booster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2021 3:37 PM

Vaccinated people who become infected with Delta are less likely to pass the virus to their close contacts. But the protective effect is relatively small, and dwindles alarmingly at three months after the receipt of the second shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 5, 2021 5:23 PM

This Woman Could Be YOUR CHILD'S Teacher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 5, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]ANTI-VAXX PROTESTER: Do you see all of these homeless people around. Are they dead in the street with COVID? Hell no. Why?

[quote]HOMELESS PERSON (walking by): Because I’m vaccinated you dumb fuck.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 6, 2021 3:26 PM

Chris Hayes Has A Feeling Tucker Carlson Might Be About To Quit Fox News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 7, 2021 2:42 AM

^ Oops....dammit

Chris Hayes Has A Feeling Tucker Carlson Might Be About To Quit Fox News

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 7, 2021 2:43 AM

[quote] most people can't get boosters.

Not true. I made an appointment at my local CVS for the Moderna vaccine, walked in and the only question they asked was was it my first or second shot? I said first and they gave me the shot. (I was 5 1/2 months out from my original J&J vaccine but I didn’t mention that part.)

The previous day I had gone into a different pharmacy asking for a booster of Moderna, showed them my J&J vaccine card and they said no, it “wasn’t approved.” My takeaway: anyone can get a booster regardless of being technically ‘eligible,’ you just have to lie. (Actually I didn’t really LIE, I just omitted certain things. It was my first shot…of Moderna.)

by Anonymousreply 65October 7, 2021 4:16 AM

Why does C Hayes think Tucker might quit? In a nutshell, please. I refuse to watch that asshole.

by Anonymousreply 66October 7, 2021 4:39 AM

OMG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 7, 2021 6:14 AM

R67 That is really sad. Effective vaccines free for everyone, so many not used that Biden ended up sending them to countries that needed them (which was the right thing to do).

I'm amazed at the large number of stupid people who didn't get vaccinated. You only get one life....cherish it.

by Anonymousreply 68October 7, 2021 1:59 PM

R7

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 7, 2021 2:23 PM

'This is rape': Protesters yell at parents walking with masked kids at school event

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 8, 2021 7:04 PM

Madness.

[quote]Flag of Guatemala Big VICTORY! V⍺ccine opposers in a Guatemalan village captured two medical teams that arrived with C0VID-19 v⍺ccines. The wheels were lowered to cars, the exit road was blocked, refrigerators with v⍺ccines were destroyed, and doctors were locked up and threatened to burn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 8, 2021 9:54 PM

R65, so do you now have 2 vaccine cards?

by Anonymousreply 72October 8, 2021 11:45 PM

Arizona Republicans Directing Federal COVID Funds ONLY To Schools Without Mask Mandates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 11, 2021 12:14 AM

R73 These youngsters look so cute; they don't look miserable at all. Little troopers!

by Anonymousreply 74October 11, 2021 12:17 AM

Update on the Moderna and J&J vaccine booster approval process.

Although the FDA will meet on Oct 14th and 15th to discuss the need for these boosters:

Reuters reports CDC's Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) will meet on Oct. 20 and Oct. 21 to make recommendations on booster doses of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines. That's a week after the FDA committee will meet to discuss the need for boosters of the two vaccines, on Oct. 14 and Oct. 15.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 11, 2021 12:35 AM

What do the positive case, hospitalization, and death rates look like these days? Is Delta still raging? Are vaccinated people still getting breakthrough infections at alarming rates? I haven’t been keeping up with the latest data.

by Anonymousreply 76October 11, 2021 2:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 11, 2021 8:47 PM

For data lovers: Look how much the immune response to COVID-19 increased after a booster of the Pfizer vaccine in subjects with a median age of 67. The power of the immune system is awesome, even in older folks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 12, 2021 12:04 AM

I got my flu vaccine over the weekend. Figured I'd get that now, while I can't yet get the covid booster, so there's time between the vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 79October 12, 2021 12:23 AM

Dr. Fauci reacts to potential FDA emergency use authorization for Covid-19 treatment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 12, 2021 12:27 AM

Thank you R77. So it looks like cases are “troughing”, with the worst of the Delta wave occurring the first week of September. It’s been a steady decline in case numbers since then.

by Anonymousreply 81October 12, 2021 12:47 AM

[quote]It’s been a steady decline in case numbers since then.

Except in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 82October 12, 2021 12:50 AM

R76. The majority of covid DEATHS in Vermont in September were VACCINATED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 12, 2021 1:24 AM

The reason why the most deaths occurred among the vaccinated is because the state as whole is highly vaccinated. 88% of Vermonters have had at least one dose; 79% have had two doses. I’m guessing most of the people who died were elderly.

Guess what: when a population is ONE HUNDRED percent vaccinated, do you know how many of the deaths would be among the vaccinated? That’s right, 100%.

You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 84October 12, 2021 1:27 AM

I don’t think R83 is capable of processing logic, R84.

by Anonymousreply 85October 12, 2021 1:28 AM

And wow, it was a whole THIRTY-THREE people who died of Covid in VT during the month of September? Wow, 33.

by Anonymousreply 86October 12, 2021 1:29 AM

R80 Dr. Fauci spoke in his usual, careful manner. The FDA and CDC deliberations will be interesting. If you look at the exclusion criteria in the Merck molnupiravir clinical trial protocols, there are certain criteria relating to sperms and eggs that are not common in trial protocols, e.g., they aren’t in vaccine clinical trial protocols. I’m not going to spell it out, but biomedical scientists and clinicians will know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 87October 12, 2021 2:13 AM

R84, Hey Genius -- these vaccines were supposed to prevent covid infection by NINETY-FIVE percent.

How'd that work out? Do you actually think getting another dose of a failed vaccine will help you?

You're the idiot.

by Anonymousreply 88October 12, 2021 2:58 AM

R88 just woke up from a six-month coma and hasn’t yet heard of the Delta variant.

by Anonymousreply 89October 12, 2021 3:01 AM

Also, the vaccine didn't reduce their hospital stay -- the other claim made for vaccinations -- unless you consider DEATH a good way of cutting your stay short.

by Anonymousreply 90October 12, 2021 3:01 AM

Hey dumbass at R88, the vaccines were developed before Delta came in to fuck everything up. No one ever claimed the vaccine would be invincible for every iteration of the virus from here and beyond. And you know who's to blame for the Delta, don't you? The people who refused to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 91October 12, 2021 3:01 AM

They did do that, R88, until Delta came along. So what?

by Anonymousreply 92October 12, 2021 3:02 AM

That is SO untrue R91, but keep telling yourself that. Unvaccinated people who've yes -- been infected -- are MORE immune to the delta variant.

Look it up.

by Anonymousreply 93October 12, 2021 3:03 AM

OMG, what a crock of shit! Are you brain damaged, or just MAGA?

by Anonymousreply 94October 12, 2021 3:05 AM

Gurls, I feel like I might have breakthrough Covid as I type!!! I'm 40, not a fat whore, very fit, not compromised, double vaxxed in May and live in LA with a mandatory vaccine/mask mandate. I was at the Dave Chapelle show at the Hollywood Bowl on Thursday which is an outdoor venue and it required vax certs to get in. I was walking back to my car in a packed crowd without a mask. I KNOW!! I have been so good throughout this entire thing. Saturday I started feeling off - very tired, but I had a long week last week so wrote it off. Saturday night were the sweats. Yesterday, it came and went. Today, I stayed in bed all day. What I feel like are the exact same symptoms of the vax. Low fever, tired, slept 9 hours last night. I am not coughing and I am starting to feel better. I'll get the test tomorrow so I know for sure. I'm just feeling tired and slightly feverish. I'm hoping that the vaccine is working. It feels like it is.

by Anonymousreply 95October 12, 2021 3:17 AM

I'm educated, R94. You might try it sometime. I swear this forced vaccination campaign WILL LOSE US THE ELECTION in 2024, not to mention lose the Senate and Congress in 2022.

Here's just one of several studies:

"Conclusions This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 12, 2021 3:18 AM

[quote]I swear this forced vaccination campaign WILL LOSE US THE ELECTION in 2024, not to mention lose the Senate and Congress in 2022.

Yes, Democrats should come out against the mandates a majority of Americans want, that’ll really improve their electoral chances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 12, 2021 3:25 AM

R96's article... This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

by Anonymousreply 98October 12, 2021 3:33 AM

Despite not having anyone blocked, I can’t see the troll posts. (which I am fine with.). Who are the first and last authors on the preprint they are linking to?

by Anonymousreply 99October 12, 2021 9:56 AM

R99 Here’s a link to the manuscript. A small incremental contribution in my opinion because we already knew with earlier strains that infection can sometimes give stronger immune responses than two vaccinations, that is, assuming the individuals live, and possibly with Long COVID disability for the rest of their lives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 12, 2021 10:20 AM

Thanks R100! Oh that article makes total sense. Many researchers have been saying for months that infection itself should count as one shot. And the conclusion of the article is that people who were previously infected and also vaccinated are the most protected.

by Anonymousreply 101October 12, 2021 11:05 AM

[quote]It’s been a steady decline in case numbers since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102October 12, 2021 12:15 PM

planning on getting my booster but I don't want to do it on a day where I have work, it's hard to schedule

by Anonymousreply 103October 12, 2021 12:27 PM

Other than writing English words, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

by Anonymousreply 104October 12, 2021 1:29 PM

^ ooops, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 105October 12, 2021 1:31 PM

Not to worry r105,

[quote]Other than writing English words, I have no idea what you are trying to say

is a post perfectly suitable to every thread on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 106October 12, 2021 1:48 PM

For anyone who was worried, I got tested today and it was negative! Whoop whoop!!!!!

Your thoughts and prayers were well received!

PS - Everyone here should listen to Elderlez. She is a true Covid expert and not in the DL way, but in real life. She had great answers in all the Covid threads and I trust her over all you dumb whores.

by Anonymousreply 107October 12, 2021 11:34 PM

I am very happy for you R95/R107! I was worried since I know breakthrough infections are absolutely a possibility. I get very worried if I so much as get a tickle in my throat now. I think getting back to normal everyday colds is going to be a tough process.

And thanks for your kind works. I am not a scientist myself IRL, but it is my great honor and joy to be able to work with absolutely brilliant scientists and help them do their thing with my little area of bureaucratic expertise.

by Anonymousreply 108October 13, 2021 12:08 AM

To Elder Lez: can I ask what you do for a living? You are always so knowledgeable and well-informed about all of COVID. Just wondering...

by Anonymousreply 109October 13, 2021 12:29 AM

ElderLez is a nuclear physicist by trade. It says so on the first thread! Hello!?

by Anonymousreply 110October 13, 2021 2:47 AM

Well, r110, that's certainly a step up from honor student by day, Hollywood hooker by night.

by Anonymousreply 111October 13, 2021 2:52 AM

^ Thanks bitch.

by Anonymousreply 112October 13, 2021 2:56 AM

I flew today for the first time since Covid reared its ugly head. JetBlue, in Mint, in a row where there was only one seat.

I took an Uber Black to the airport. Driver was great, car was big enough that I felt safe. He kept his mask on the whole time and kept is window partially open and invited me to do the same. Checking bags and getting through security took five minutes. I sat in a different area of the airport than my gate so as to avoid people, but I saw a LOT of people without their masks or slung down under their noses.

Boarding was fine. The FAs warned everyone in advance that they were NOT on board to play and to please not give them any reason to bounce anyone off the flight. There was a pre-boarding announcement that they had not received any pillows or blankets for Mint and to please not take it out on the FAs, as it wasn't their fault. (At the last minute, they actually arrived).

I told my FA that I did not want anything to eat or drink and that I would likely just sleep most of the flight and not bother them. Both Mint FAs were incredibly nice. I felt like I was overdoing things (wearing gloves when I had to go to the restroom, etc) but two women who were in the row in front of me were wearing face shields, as well as masks, and they basically wiped down everything with Clorox wipes when they got to their seats.

Flight was uneventful. Baggage claim wasn't terrible, but again, lots of people with their masks pulled down. I hired a car to bring me into the city, so I waited to be picked up at the curb. Also uneventful and fine.

Got into the city and that's where it all went to shit. My AirBnB is a 3rd floor walkup and I had very heavy bags. I was huffing and puffing like crazy by the time I got to the last bag, and whatever oxygen I was inhaling like it was going out of style was leaking in and out of my masks everywhere. Then the host was still there, unmasked, and yakking up a storm. I had to take my mask off because I couldn't breathe at that point, and I was sweating like crazy. He left, I unpacked and showered, but all the precautions I take back home feel like they flew out the window in record time.

by Anonymousreply 113October 13, 2021 5:53 AM

Why would you do AirBnB with whatever scum of the earth might be sliming up the place up until the minute you arrive instead of using a reputable hotel chain where there's at least a decent chance that they've cleaned the place at this pointY

This is what is driving me crazy with all of this continuing. You can do everything right and then one little mistake and you're fucked. We should be allowed to start killing assholes who don't wear masks. It would make the human face a billion times better.

by Anonymousreply 114October 13, 2021 6:19 AM

Well, for one reason, I'm here for two months, it's not just a vacation, so I wanted an apartment with a kitchen. But I did consider a hotel suite with a kitchenette (The Pod Hotel on 42nd street has very nice ones) but then I thought- Maids will be coming in and out of the room on a daily basis, and I'll have to get lost when they come, and who knows what they have? And I'll have to ride up and down in the elevators on several occasions daily with all manner of tourist that may or may not be vaccinated. It seemed an AirBnB was the lesser risk.

by Anonymousreply 115October 13, 2021 6:25 AM

Actually I am a Hollywood Hooker Day, a nuclear physicist by night and an honor student every other Saturday.

When I try to explain what I do IRL to people often their eyes glaze over and they change the subject or the say “so you?” and I say “no” over and over again. My job is knowing things that allow scientists to get and keep funding while not doing anything wrong or bad.

by Anonymousreply 116October 13, 2021 10:06 AM

A noble endeavor ElderLez.

by Anonymousreply 117October 13, 2021 10:17 AM

Yesterday I had a crippling headache, body aches, chills, and eventually a fever from noon to about 3am. I feel mostly fine now, plus I've had a booster and an at-home Binax test was negative. But still....

Like EL said, it's much harder nowadays to think, "Guess it was food poisoning," shrug, and go about one's business.

by Anonymousreply 118October 13, 2021 12:22 PM

Glad you are better Sylvia!

by Anonymousreply 119October 13, 2021 12:53 PM

Thank you for all your COVID posts ElderLez. So grounded and thoughtful and full of loads of important information. You have provided a great public service to many of on the board.

by Anonymousreply 120October 13, 2021 1:35 PM

R113, where do you live that you can avoid all human contact the way it sounds like you do? I think you’re being a little too … paranoid about this. I’m not saying you should feel comfortable having a stranger spit down your throat or anything, but lots of us here in NYC have ridden the subway (even when the train cars are crowded), taken Ubers, been around unmasked people, etc., and have not gotten sick.

I’ve been fully vaccinated since May, never had Covid, haven’t gotten a breakthrough infection, shop in supermarkets (even unmasked when that was briefly a thing, pre-Delta!), and take about 2 dozen subway rides every week.

Gloves while using the bathroom on an airplane??

by Anonymousreply 121October 13, 2021 4:49 PM

NYC's numbers and mask-wearing compliance are much better than many other areas of the country, R121. We all have to make individual safety judgments based on a whole confluence of factors. I wouldn't wear gloves in a bathroom -- but I also wouldn't get on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 122October 13, 2021 4:56 PM

I am immunocompromised, R121, so I have to be more careful.

by Anonymousreply 123October 13, 2021 4:56 PM

Thanks for the travel report R113, I have a trip scheduled for January, NYC to LA. I also booked my seat on Jet Blue Mint, in a single-seat row. Glad to hear that other passengers were taking precautions and that the flight staff were helpful. I think I will also wait for the flight in an area away from the gate. This is my first airplane trip since Nov 2019, and I had long been debating whether I should do it.

by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2021 5:22 PM

TX-Based Companies To Follow Federal Vaccine Mandate, Defy Abbott's Executive Order

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 13, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote]Africa may have some degree of innate immunity against the virus.

Or the virus is racist.

by Anonymousreply 126October 13, 2021 6:19 PM

It never stops:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127October 13, 2021 6:43 PM

there was a study where they found that if you have the neanderthal gene, you are less likely to die from covid.

by Anonymousreply 128October 13, 2021 7:03 PM

R124, I'm glad I could help. I'm a regular on this thread, so if any other questions pop up about JetBlue before you leave, ask away. I'll see them.

by Anonymousreply 129October 13, 2021 8:12 PM

A conservative “friend”/ acquitance posted this on Twitter today :

“More than 2x as many lives are lost each day with COVID than last year, pre-vaccine. Biden's record on COVID has been an abject failure.”

This cannot be true and would love a way to shove it in his face how wrong and ignorant he is. Any help is appreciated. I tried googling to get numbers as proof and coming up short on how to compare numbers from this year to last years. He probably heard it from Ben Shapiro or some GOP shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 130October 14, 2021 2:00 AM

R130, it might be true because of Delta but without the vaccines it would have been 10x. These people are too stupid to understand nuance or, ya know, math so I really wouldn't bother trying to explain it to him.

by Anonymousreply 131October 14, 2021 2:04 AM

Interesting article from this past Saturday, with experts making their best guesses (or not) about the rest of the fall and winter for Covid in the US.

[quote]”Barring something unexpected, I’m of the opinion that this is the last major wave of infection,” Gottlieb told The New York Times this week.

What does Datalounge think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132October 14, 2021 2:54 AM

R132, it's basically saying, "I'm of the opinion this might be the last wave unless, ya know, it's not." So, they are saying nothing. It would be fitting if the Omega variant wiped out humanity.

by Anonymousreply 133October 14, 2021 3:17 AM

I'm waiting for the variant Vance.

by Anonymousreply 134October 14, 2021 3:29 AM

A friend of mine attended a golf tournament in Arkansas a few weeks ago, they were giving flu and covid injections so she got both injections. She said she felt fine afterwards and as usual her golf game sucked.

by Anonymousreply 135October 14, 2021 7:00 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 14, 2021 7:05 AM

R113 here. I went out last night in NYC to meet my co-worker for an outdoor dinner and then a friend for coffee (also outdoors). When I was getting ready to leave the apartment I'm staying in, I was actually shaking, and I had to sit and calm myself for a minute. I was really surprised at the reaction. Walking in the streets with a mask on is not pleasant. Very sweaty (also my body was adjusting to the humidity). Had my mask off throughout dinner and also coffee, but kept it on while walking the streets. Also stopped in to a drug store to do some shopping (another first, not counting my Covid vaxes).

All in all, I felt okay and I was actually happy to be out and about and social. And I ran into a good number of people on the street I hadn't seen in ages (the theater district on a Wednesday) and for a short time it felt like it did B.C. It really lightened me in a way that I haven't felt in a very long while. Of course, now I have to strap on the mask again today and go into an indoor meeting, and tonight I have to go to a theater gathering (for work) indoors, so who knows how I'll be. I just worry that I'll get careless and BOOM! Covid City.

Thank you for listening. : )

by Anonymousreply 137October 14, 2021 2:48 PM

Here in Ireland all legal restrictions are expected to be lifted by October 22nd. This has already happened in the UK (where I went to a packed club night, without masks, several weeks ago).

The university where I teach still requires students to wear masks and socially distance by 1metre at least but next week is expected to be the last week we will do this.

We can do this because over 90% of the eligible population chose to be vaccinated.

So, for me I think it is nearly over, barring some awful new variant. It's been a very hard road and cost me one close family member., as well as over a year of my rapidly vanishing youth. Very pleased to see the back of this awful time.

Also, I'm going to a sex party this weekend so yay.

by Anonymousreply 138October 14, 2021 2:54 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 14, 2021 6:33 PM

R138, do you need to show vaccination proofs for indoor dining/bars etc?

by Anonymousreply 140October 14, 2021 7:09 PM

R140, right at this moment, yes, but again I expect that to be finished by Oct 22nd.

Mind you when I had my staycation in Donegal in July they just asked me whether I was vaccinated and got me to write my details on a piece of notepaper so enforcement is not exactly uniformly strong.

by Anonymousreply 141October 14, 2021 7:12 PM

There is the fact that hospitals are seeing fewer cases in some areas. And rates of vaccination are up. The biggest misinformation out there is in Asian and Latino communities.

by Anonymousreply 142October 14, 2021 7:18 PM

The FDA Panel that met today said this about the Moderna booster, per the NYT-

[quote]A key advisory committee to the Food and Drug Administration voted unanimously on Thursday to recommend a booster shot of the Moderna coronavirus vaccine for many of the vaccine’s recipients, at least six months after a second dose.

[quote] The panel endorsed a half-dose as a third injection for people 65 and older as well as younger adults at high risk because of their medical conditions or jobs, the same groups of people who became eligible for a Pfizer-BioNTech booster last month. While regulators are not obligated to follow the panel’s recommendations, they typically do.

[quote] Although committee members decried the lack of more robust data justifying a booster shot, several emphasized that F.D.A. had already sent a precedent by authorizing additional shots on an emergency basis for many recipients of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 14, 2021 7:33 PM

Asian communities, R142? That’s a new one.

by Anonymousreply 144October 14, 2021 7:54 PM

My sister asked me if I wanted to visit for the weekend. She has had covid, and has also been double-vaxed with Moderna. So one could say that she's triple vaxed. I'm double-vaxed with Pfizer. So, this should be safe, right?

by Anonymousreply 145October 14, 2021 10:09 PM

R138 is gonna end up with something besides Covid. LOL

by Anonymousreply 146October 14, 2021 10:38 PM

Prior covid + vaccination is supposed to afford the greatest protection, R145.

by Anonymousreply 147October 14, 2021 11:42 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 15, 2021 1:26 PM

TSA says 40 percent of workforce unvaccinated ahead of November deadline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 15, 2021 1:26 PM

A Transportation Security Administration (TSA) official said in an interview published on Wednesday that 40 percent of the TSA's workforce remains unvaccinated ahead of a Nov. 22 deadline set by the Biden administration.

Speaking to CNN, TSA Administrator David Pekoske said he was "very hopeful" that his agency's employees would meet the deadline, but said that "contingency plans" were in development in case some employees are unable to work who are not vaccinated in time.

"We have about 60 percent of our workforce has been vaccinated, that that number needs to go quite a bit higher over the next few weeks," Pekoske told CNN. "We are building contingency plans for if we do have some staffing shortages as a result of this, but I hope to avoid that."

The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is administered three weeks apart, leaving workers a bit of leeway, unless they decide to instead get the one-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine. CNN noted the latest possible date that federal employees can get the Pfizer vaccine is Oct. 18.

In a memo sent out earlier this month, the the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) said federal agencies could begin enforcing the vaccine mandate beginning on Nov. 9 for employees who are still not vaccinated.

"Employees who refuse to be vaccinated or provide proof of vaccination are subject to disciplinary measures, up to and including removal or termination from Federal service," OPM Director Kiran Ahuja said. "The only exception is for individuals who receive a legally required exception pursuant to established agency processes."

by Anonymousreply 150October 15, 2021 1:27 PM

The fucking holiday travel season is gonna fucked up!!! Plus the airlines have their own deadline, also just around thanksgiving...

by Anonymousreply 151October 15, 2021 1:28 PM

Thank you r143, I missed that news

by Anonymousreply 152October 15, 2021 1:34 PM

Russia if a mess. Only 27% of the population is fully vaccinated and a father 5% have had one shot. I know there are suspicions in relation the the Russian vaccine but by all accounts it is highly affected (the rumour is that the Russians stole the AZ specs).

The big problem is that people don't trust Putin and are won't get vaccinated for that reason. It is hard to blame them as the Russian vaccine is very effective put Putin has such a shitty record.

They hit their highest deadly deaths yesterday of 998. There are also well over 400,00 excess deaths.

by Anonymousreply 153October 15, 2021 1:41 PM

moderna vaccine for adolescents delayed according to WSJ

by Anonymousreply 154October 15, 2021 4:33 PM

Jen Psaki humiliates Ted Cruz with one single comment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 15, 2021 10:39 PM

R148, you don't see the big gaping hole in that logic?

by Anonymousreply 156October 16, 2021 4:54 AM

[quote] the big gaping hole

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 157October 16, 2021 7:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 16, 2021 3:33 PM

'Such as, herd immunity is apparently not a thing with a virus that's mutating this quickly into forms that are easier to catch'

The Uk has herd immunity. Its death toll stays around 130 a day regardless of new variants. Cases never go above 50k a day. Been like that for months. 70% double vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 159October 17, 2021 1:19 AM

In a recent press conference Jen Psaki displayed her ignorance in reference to COVID-19 federal mandates as "federal law overrides state law". A mandate is NOT a law folks. Only the legislature can make law. States, businesses, and individuals can choose to observe a federal mandate but it is not law and not enforceable by the feds or state. A private business can ask a person to leave but may be subject to a discrimination lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 160October 17, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote]The Uk has herd immunity. Its death toll stays around 130 a day regardless of new variants. Cases never go above 50k a day. Been like that for months. 70% double vaccinated.

You seem to not understand what herd immunity means.

by Anonymousreply 161October 17, 2021 4:53 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162October 17, 2021 5:14 AM

Federal regulations can absolutely trump State laws (OSHA) and as for the FAR, well you don’t want to abide by it, no federal contract money for you.

(NIH already started issuing their contract mods this week.)

by Anonymousreply 163October 17, 2021 10:25 AM

I realized after posting the above that non-American posters might be confused as to why it is that a regulation could be more binding than a law, regardless of the level of government.

The law that Congress passed to authorize OSHA specifically allows the agency to determine and enforce regulations regarding workplace safety. As long as OSHA is engaged in actions under that specific authorization, those regulations have the force of law, whether or not they are technically laws themselves.

by Anonymousreply 164October 17, 2021 11:29 AM

I thought for a second Dame Edna was tweeting again, when I saw that profile pic R158

by Anonymousreply 165October 17, 2021 6:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 17, 2021 7:30 PM

Is that really true? That J&J’s efficacy fell to 3%? My oh my.

by Anonymousreply 167October 18, 2021 1:58 AM

How did they not know it fell to 3% after two months until now? It's been six months or so since they started giving the J&J shot. Shouldn't they have known this sooner? I got Pfizer but know someone who got J&J. Would there really be any downside to them getting two doses of Moderna or Pfizer at this point?

by Anonymousreply 168October 18, 2021 2:02 AM

I don’t think there’d be any downside at all, R168.

Hell, at this point I wonder how many of them have gotten infected with Covid. In that case they’d maybe only need one dose of an mRNA.

by Anonymousreply 169October 18, 2021 2:10 AM

Are there people who've gotten all three vaccines?

by Anonymousreply 170October 18, 2021 2:15 AM

Just scheduled my Pfzier COVID booster at CVS for tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 171October 18, 2021 2:44 AM

Miami school says vaccinated students must stay home for 30 days to protect others, citing discredited info

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 18, 2021 4:47 PM

Ted Cruz’ dumb tweet about Australia, and the response from Michael Gunner, the Chief Minister for the Northern Territory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173October 18, 2021 8:14 PM

[bold]NYT: FDA expected to OK mix-and-match boosters[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174October 18, 2021 10:43 PM

Woot-woot R174!!!!

by Anonymousreply 175October 18, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]New Mexico invoking crisis standards of care. This means Covid is so bad that health care workers are forced to ration care.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 18, 2021 11:00 PM

In my informal observation, Kroger has the worst offenders-- far worse than Lowe's or even Walmart. Target is actually worse than Walmart in suburban Dallas, lots of sneering maskless bitches in Target! ALDI is pretty good depending on the time of day.

There seems to be certain hours where deplorables are out more and maskers aren't, and certain hours where maskers are out more and deplorables aren't.

by Anonymousreply 177October 19, 2021 5:04 PM

Brazilian Senate proposes charging Bolsonaro with murder for COVID negligence

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178October 19, 2021 8:47 PM

US health officials likely to recommend Pfizer and Moderna boosters starting at age 40, source says

From CNN'S Elizabeth Cohen and John Bonifield

The US government likely will soon recommend booster shots to people as young as 40 who received either Moderna or Pfizer’s Covid-19 vaccine, according to a source familiar with the plan.

“I believe it will happen,” the source said.

Last month, the US Food and Drug Administration authorized booster shots for people age 65 and older who received their second shot of Pfizer’s vaccine at least six months ago.

For younger people, the booster is authorized only for certain groups, such as those with certain health conditions or those working in jobs that put them at high risk for contracting Covid-19.

Last week, a panel of FDA advisers recommended that Moderna boosters be given with the same rules. However, boosters for Moderna have yet to be granted authorization by the FDA.

The source said there is “growing concern within the FDA” that US data is beginning to show hospitalizations among people under age 65 who have been fully vaccinated.

Some more background: If the FDA backs lowering the age for boosters, the plan would then go to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for its sign off. Vaccine advisers to that agency are meeting Thursday to discuss Covid-19 booster shots.

Israel, where nearly all vaccinations have been with Pfizer, started offering boosters in August to everyone more than six months past their second shot, regardless of age.

Israeli researchers told the FDA advisers last week that the boosters have reduced the rate of severe disease in people over age 40.

At that meeting, a senior FDA official said the Israeli data “seems compelling.”

Dr. Peter Marks, director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, mentioned that newly emerging data in the US “makes us realize that we’re concerned that what was seen in Israel could be seen here."

“We don’t want to have a wave of severe Covid-19 before we deploy boosters,” he added.

Several members of the advisory committee expressed support for lowering the age recommendation.

“In general, I wasn’t a fan of reducing the cutoff to a lower age, because I think this severe disease isn’t terribly great in that population, but hearing all these arguments I would support that now more,” said Dr. Stanley Perlman, a professor of pediatrics at the University of Iowa.

The advisers voiced concern about giving boosters to younger people, since Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccine have been associated with myocarditis, or inflammation of the heart muscle, in male adolescents and young adults.

Last week, the FDA vaccine advisers recommended that people of all ages who received a Johnson & Johnson vaccine get a booster 2 months after their original shot. Boosters for this vaccine are also awaiting authorization by the FDA.

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2021 1:09 PM

Bad news for right-wingers who lionize Russia's tough-guy, no lockdown, no mandate approach to Covid: "Russian President Vladimir Putin on Wednesday backed the Cabinet’s proposal to declare a non-working week and keep Russian workers away from their offices as coronavirus deaths surged to another daily record."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2021 1:20 PM

Have they said how long (and they may not yet know) the boosters will keep efficacy up? I got my booster on Aug 25, so I'm zeroing in on 2 months out now.

by Anonymousreply 181October 20, 2021 2:19 PM

R181, I believe we won't know until we see how things unfold.

by Anonymousreply 182October 20, 2021 2:48 PM

I’m five months past my second dose of Pfizer, and I’m 42. But I also don’t live in a hot spot (NYC, taking out the trash!) and I’m not worried. I’ll get it when it’s available, though.

by Anonymousreply 183October 20, 2021 2:51 PM

I am assuming it's another 4 month deal, but I am still masking up everywhere I go and taking super precautions.

by Anonymousreply 184October 20, 2021 2:52 PM

I'm taking supper precautions.

by Anonymousreply 185October 20, 2021 2:53 PM

Missa Chlissy, you havea feedbag mask in addition to snack purse.

by Anonymousreply 186October 20, 2021 3:00 PM

[quote]Putin keeps Russian workers home for a week as deaths soar

Also in Russia, per CNN: On Tuesday, Moscow's mayor ordered all unvaccinated residents over 60, as well as unvaccinated people "suffering from chronic diseases," to remain home for four months until late February as the city grapples with a growing crisis.

by Anonymousreply 187October 20, 2021 3:54 PM

How embarrassing for Russia! Losers with a loser vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 188October 20, 2021 7:05 PM

WHO warns of rise in Covid cases across Europe for third consecutive week as restrictions are eased

Covid cases in Europe have increased for the third consecutive week, World Health Organization officials said at a briefing Wednesday, urging caution as temperatures fall and work, travel and leisure activities return to normal.

Europe is the only area out of the WHO’s six regions of member states where cases are climbing, researchers wrote in an epidemiological update published Tuesday. There were more than 1.3 million Covid cases reported across the continent over the week ended Sunday, a 7% jump from the prior seven days.

“That’s three weeks of progressive increase,” Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of the WHO’s health emergencies program, said during a Q&A streamed on the organization’s social media channels. “So while the overall global curve looks like it’s tracking down, Europe has gone up three weeks in a row.”

The situation in Europe is being partially driven by surges in Czechia, Hungary and Poland, where Ryan said Covid cases jumped 50% over the last week. With winter approaching, Ryan said Covid’s already starting to weigh heavily on health-care systems in some countries, limiting the availability of intensive care beds.

Ryan blamed the surge, at least in part, on the easing of Covid restrictions.

“The Northern hemisphere is heading into another winter, and just need to be a little concerned about that uptick across Europe as we enter the late, late, deep autumn,” Ryan said. “And as societies are opening up, we’re seeing those numbers rise, and in a number of countries, we’re already seeing the health system begin to come under pressure, we’re seeing the number of available ICU beds decreasing.”

And as people prepare to travel and meet in person for the holiday season, Ryan called for unvaccinated individuals to get immunized against the virus in hopes of preventing Covid outbreaks in the months ahead.

“There’s good news in the sense that we’re not seeing this massive increase, but it’s still concerning even in the context of relatively high levels of vaccination,” he said.

In addition to the highly transmissible delta variant, which fueled global Covid spikes over the summer, researchers are now monitoring an evolution of the strain that could be even more dangerous. Known as delta plus, experts in the U.K. are seeing the mutation in a growing number of Covid patients.

But there’s currently no proof that delta plus is more contagious than its predecessor, Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s spokesman said Tuesday.

And amid a surge in Covid cases and deaths, Russian President Vladimir Putin is requiring most workers to stay home for one week beginning Oct. 30, according to the Associated Press. Russia reported a seven-day average of nearly 31,700 new Covid cases as of Tuesday, up from more than 27,200 a week prior, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 20, 2021 7:14 PM

So, What did you want to be when you grew up?

by Anonymousreply 190October 20, 2021 7:31 PM

[quote]Have they said how long (and they may not yet know) the boosters will keep efficacy up? I got my booster on Aug 25, so I'm zeroing in on 2 months out now.

They are speculating that the two dose vaccines that were given so close together may have acted more like a single superdose instead of an original shot and a booster. There wasn't enough time between the shots for the immune system to work through its entire protective process. The short time in between was to give as much protection as quickly as possible during the height (pre-Delta, at least) of the pandemic.

So, this shot would be the actual booster. That might point to a more long term protection like the protection you get from all the other booster shots you've gotten over your lifetime. We'll most likely know from data obtained from Israel in a few months since they started giving boosters to everyone in August. It's already showing increased protection for everyone 40+. Hopefully, the results will show long term protection from the activity of B and T immune cells whereas right now the original two shots might just be providing antibody level protection. We'll see but I'm hopeful this actual booster in the form of the third shot will give lasting immunity long enough to end this.

by Anonymousreply 191October 20, 2021 7:49 PM

Does anyone know why we seem to be stuck at a persistent, though lower, level of infection at this point across the US? (Except in the usual antivax shitholes, of course.)

I'm in Illinois and we've been at about a 2-2.5% positivity rate for pretty much a month now. It just stays there no matter what. In one way, I'm glad because it's keeping the indoor mask mandate in place but, like everyone, I'm so tired of all of this and hate the fuckers who didn't get vaccinated when they could to prevent this latest surge. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 192October 20, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote]Does anyone know why we seem to be stuck at a persistent, though lower, level of infection at this point across the US?I'm in Illinois and we've been at about a 2-2.5% positivity rate for pretty much a month now.

I'm intrigued by the difference between Illinois and its surrounding states – Michigan positivity is over 10%, Iowa and Indiana over 8%, and Wisconsin over 7%.

by Anonymousreply 193October 20, 2021 7:59 PM

R193, the difference is Pritzker as governor and a Democratic State House and Senate who didn't fight the regulations put in place, although the puny little Repug contingent tried. Fucking assholes. I bet we'd be doing even better here if we weren't surrounded by these states filled with hicks.

by Anonymousreply 194October 20, 2021 8:02 PM

New York finally started trending down after plateauing for an extended period.

by Anonymousreply 195October 20, 2021 8:24 PM

R190 - Friday the 13th Part 6 - Jason Lives

by Anonymousreply 196October 20, 2021 8:39 PM

[bold]FDA authorizes Moderna, J&J boosters + mix-and-match[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197October 20, 2021 9:15 PM

FDA also expected to authorize Pfizer, Moderna boosters for everyone age 40+

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Moderna Vaxxine should definitely be a drag name!

So lots of good news in the States today.

by Anonymousreply 199October 20, 2021 10:03 PM

Bingo R196!

by Anonymousreply 200October 20, 2021 11:35 PM

Got my booster of Pfzier at CVS yesterday. In out in 15 min. Arm barely sore for a day. What's the fuss? I feel there will be a new variant rolling around this winter. Better safe then sorry.

by Anonymousreply 201October 20, 2021 11:51 PM

I need to get my flu shot. Will that be an issue getting it close to the booster?

by Anonymousreply 202October 21, 2021 3:14 AM

My mother's doctors seem to think shoving a ton of vaccines in her at the same time. She's had a pneumonia and flu shot in the last week and needs to get her covid booster now. I think she should wait a week or so just so she doesn't feel like total shit from all of them at once but I would also think that there's something to be said about not overtaxing the immune response.

by Anonymousreply 203October 21, 2021 4:30 AM

My partner, aged 79, got his 3rd shot at CVS a couple of weeks ago. I am dutifully awaiting mine fore 58 yr.olds. But we are getting really sick of getting poked every couple of months. There has to be an end to this.

by Anonymousreply 204October 21, 2021 6:43 AM

[quote]But we are getting really sick of getting poked every couple of months.

Pity about your sex life.

by Anonymousreply 205October 21, 2021 7:44 AM

R191 For those interested in more details about what you've described, here's an article that explains in understandable terms how immune responses get better with time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 21, 2021 8:09 AM

People get flu shots once a year, so this will be a likely scenario for the future.

by Anonymousreply 207October 21, 2021 8:28 AM

Not necessarily, R207. Those flu shots are not boosters every year. They are made up of different components, usually, depending on what the scientists predict will be the dominant flu strains that year. Covid, once under control and not creating so many variants, will not be a new virus every year.

by Anonymousreply 208October 21, 2021 5:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209October 21, 2021 6:39 PM

^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 21, 2021 9:07 PM

From r209...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211October 21, 2021 10:55 PM

Pregnant or nursing women who are eligible should get a Covid-19 booster, CDC director says

From CNN's Jacqueline Howard

People eligible for Covid-19 vaccine booster doses should get their shots, including those who may be pregnant or nursing, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said on Friday.

"First and foremost, I want to really emphasize how important it is to get a primary series if you're pregnant. We have relatively low rates of vaccination for pregnant women in general," Walensky said during a virtual White House news briefing.

"You should get vaccinated if you are pregnant," Walensky added. "If you are eligible for a boost and you are pregnant, you should also get your boost during that period of time – and I would say for nursing as well."

by Anonymousreply 212October 22, 2021 3:49 PM

Covid-19 booster shots appear to be as safe as first or second doses, CDC official says

From CNN's Maggie Fox

Booster doses of coronavirus vaccines so far seem to be as safe as first and second doses, vaccine advisers to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention were told Thursday.

One question the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP) discussed when they met Thursday was whether adding a third dose of Moderna’s vaccine or a second dose of Johnson & Johnson’s is safe.

So far, the answer is yes, Anne Hause of the CDC’s Covid-19 Vaccine Task Force told the ACIP meeting.

She reviewed data from two vaccine safety monitoring programs – the Vaccine Adverse Reporting System (VAERS) and the cellphone-based vSafe system set up to monitor Covid-19 vaccines.

“Overall, 94% of the 4,990 adverse reports following dose two of Janssen or dose three of mRNA Covid-19 vaccinations were non-serious,” Hause said. She said rates are similar to what’s been seen for Covid vaccines in general. The most common serious adverse event was the wrong vaccine having been administered.

“Anyone can submit a VAERS report regardless of the possibility of vaccine causing the event or the clinical seriousness of the events,” Hause noted.

Nonetheless, few worrying reports came in.

“We did not observe any unexpected patterns of adverse events,” Hause told the meeting. “Nearly all reports to VAERS were non-serious.” Common adverse events included sore arms, headaches, fevers and muscle aches. A sore arm was considered a local event, while a fever or headache would be a systemic event.

“For Pfizer/BioNTech, local and systemic reactions were reported less frequently following dose three than dose two. For Moderna, local reactions were reported slightly more frequently and systemic reactions slightly less frequently following dose three than dose two,” she said.

Not many people have received a second dose of Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen Covid-19 vaccine, Dr. Helen Keipp Talbot, an associate professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University who heads one of ACIP’s safety working groups, told the meeting. The vaccine is linked with a slightly higher risk of two rare but dangerous side effects – a blood clotting condition called thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome, and a neurological condition called Guillain-Barré syndrome. “There have been no new safety signals following a second dose,” Talbot told the meeting.

by Anonymousreply 213October 22, 2021 3:49 PM

Pfizer says its vaccine is 90.7% effective against symptomatic Covid-19 in children ages 5 to 11

From CNN's Jamie Gumbrecht

n new documents posted ahead of a key meeting of the US Food and Drug Administration’s vaccine advisers, Pfizer says its vaccine is safe and 90.7% effective against symptomatic Covid-19 in children ages 5 to 11.

In the trial, which included around 2,000 children, there were three Covid-19 cases among the group that received the vaccine and 16 cases in the placebo group. In the trial, twice as many children received the vaccine as the placebo.

Pfizer/BioNTech are seeking FDA emergency use authorization (EUA) of a two-dose regimen of their 10-microgram dose for children ages 5 to 11. The two doses would be administered three weeks apart.

Last month, Pfizer released details of a Phase 2/3 trial that showed its Covid-19 vaccine was safe and generated a "robust" antibody response in children ages 5 to 11. The trial included 2,268 participants ages 5 to 11. Participants' immune responses were measured by looking at neutralizing antibody levels in their blood and comparing those levels to a control group of 16- to 25-year-olds who were given a two-dose regimen with the larger 30-microgram dose. Pfizer said the levels compared well with older people who received the larger dose, demonstrating a "strong immune response in this cohort of children one month after the second dose."

The FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee is scheduled to meet Oct. 26 to discuss whether to recommend the vaccine for authorization for those ages 5 to 11.

If authorized, this would be the first Covid-19 vaccine for younger children. The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is approved for people age 16 and older and has an EUA for people ages 12 to 15.

by Anonymousreply 214October 22, 2021 3:49 PM

Fauci confident that age groups eligible for boosters will be lowered over the next weeks to months

From CNN's Naomi Thomas

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said he is confident that within the next weeks to months, the age of people eligible to get a Covid-19 booster will be lowered.

“I would be rather confident that as we get further and further over the next weeks to months, that the age limit of it is going to be lowered, and you might soon fall into the age category where you can get eligible for a boost,” Fauci told CNN’s John Berman on New Day Friday. “I would not be surprised if that’s the case within a reasonable period of time.”

Fauci said that more data would come from both US cohorts and from cohorts in Israel.

Asked about how much evidence of waning immunity for people with two doses is being seen, Fauci said, “there’s no question about that, John, that that occurs.”

He added that it has been seen in US cohorts as well as in Israel, which is about a month ahead of the US in its timetable and “is seeing substantial waning of immunity over several months, first against infection and then in some age groups against severe disease.”

This is the reason why boosters are being given, he said, and why Israel, as an example, is “much, much more proactive in giving boosters for people.”

by Anonymousreply 215October 22, 2021 3:50 PM

So people 40 and over can get a booster or are they waiting to approve the next lower age bracket?

by Anonymousreply 216October 22, 2021 5:15 PM

r216, if you're a essential worker and under 65, you can get it too. I know AOC got hers weeks ago. I doubt they check if you're really an essential worker....

by Anonymousreply 217October 22, 2021 5:26 PM

“I would be rather confident that as we get further and further over the next weeks to months, that the age limit of it is going to be lowered, and you might soon fall into the age category where you can get eligible for a boost,” Fauci told CNN’s John Berman on New Day Friday. “I would not be surprised if that’s the case within a reasonable period of time.”

A master lesson by Dr. Fauci in how to fully answer a question giving as little info as possible.

by Anonymousreply 218October 23, 2021 5:12 AM

R212, and where's the studies that show the vaccine is safe for UNBORN babies?

by Anonymousreply 219October 23, 2021 5:48 AM

A pamphlet with a good overview of COVID-19. It summarizes a lot of what has been learned over a year and a half.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220October 23, 2021 7:13 AM

There’s information on impact on the fetus in this overview R212.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221October 23, 2021 10:15 AM

The UK now has over 50k covid cases a day for a country with 66m population. Deaths have risen to over 200 a day even with 80% of Brits being double vaxxed.

by Anonymousreply 222October 23, 2021 12:49 PM

R222- BBC World News had a feature yesterday regarding that- they speculate that AZ’s efficaciousness wanes much more quickly than previously thought.

by Anonymousreply 223October 23, 2021 3:10 PM

The Brits are also not following any precautions any more. A friend of mine says he's the only one wearing a mask on the Tube these days.

by Anonymousreply 224October 23, 2021 5:31 PM

One can probably assume that people smart enough to get the vaccine are also smart enough to take better care of their health than the anti-vaxxers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225October 23, 2021 6:17 PM

R218 He's learned a sad lesson that we live in a time in which lies are often given more credence than the truth. Lies will always be lies, but scientific/medical truth changes over time in a world that makes scientific progress.

by Anonymousreply 226October 24, 2021 7:47 AM

I got my booster 3 days ago and the over 65 flu shot at the same time, no reaction.

by Anonymousreply 227October 24, 2021 8:11 AM

Well, the Brits have National Health. I’m just super cautious because US health costs are devastating.

by Anonymousreply 228October 24, 2021 2:48 PM

Ed Sheeran tests positive for COVID-19 days before album release

Ed Sheeran has tested positive for COVID-19.

The singer announced the news via Instagram on Sunday, writing, “Hey guys. Quick note to tell you that I’ve sadly tested positive for Covid, so I’m now self-isolating and following government guidelines.”

The diagnosis comes just days before the expected release of Sheeran’s fourth studio album, “=” (pronounced “Equals”).

The British musician told fans he’s still planning to promote the project with interviews and performances, but will now have to conduct them from his home as he continues to quarantine.

“I’m now unable to plough ahead with any in person commitments for now, so I’ll be doing as many of my planned interviews/performances I can from my house,” he explained. “Apologies to anyone I’ve let down. Be safe everyone x.”

Sheeran, 30, was also scheduled to make an appearance during “Saturday Night Live” on Nov. 6 with actor Kieran Culkin. It’s unclear at this time whether Sheeran will be replaced, or appear virtually.

A rep for Sheeran did not immediately return Page Six’s request for comment.

Back in June, Sheeran gushed about how his creative process has changed since becoming a father. The “Perfect” singer and his wife, Cherry Seaborn, welcomed their first child together – daughter Lyra – in August 2020.

“I’m very structured with my day now so like usually if I was in the studio I would just kind of work until it was done,” he said at the time. “I feel like with a kid you need a structured workday. You can’t be working until 2 o’clock in the morning.”

Of learning how to successfully parent, Sheeran added, “No parent knows what they’re doing.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229October 24, 2021 6:57 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230October 24, 2021 9:09 PM

R230, they list Japan and Taiwan as getting things under control. Kind of helps to be an island. And, they don't have Trumptards and Repugs.

by Anonymousreply 231October 25, 2021 3:08 AM

That’s interesting about Japan, especially after hosting the Olympics. On the Boston news this am, they were talking about the rise of Delta Plus in the U.K. .

by Anonymousreply 232October 25, 2021 9:28 AM

The Japanese (and Taiwanese) also don't bitch and moan and send death threats to their fellow citizens over wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 233October 25, 2021 11:40 AM

Florida Surgeon General Goes Anti Vaxxer In Disgusting Press Conference

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234October 25, 2021 3:04 PM

So Delta Plus will be the stocking stuffer this holiday season?

by Anonymousreply 235October 25, 2021 6:12 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 25, 2021 7:36 PM

67 here. Got my Moderna booster today.

So far, not even a sore arm.

by Anonymousreply 237October 25, 2021 8:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238October 25, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote]Visitors from 50 countries with low levels of vaccine availability will NOT need to be vaccinated to travel to US from Nov 8

What the fuck is wrong with the fucking morons in charge of this? We're going into winter with all the holiday gatherings. Kids will not be fully vaccinated by the time these gatherings take place. Why are they making the exact same fucking decisions that blew up last time?

by Anonymousreply 239October 26, 2021 1:51 AM

Mutation, Surge, Booster.

by Anonymousreply 240October 26, 2021 5:34 PM

Fox Hosts Lie About THEIR OWN Vaccine Mandate

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241October 26, 2021 6:22 PM

So, do we think the next wave is starting in the UK and the rest of Europe now? It always hits America about a month or two later.

by Anonymousreply 242October 26, 2021 6:39 PM

Former President Trump and other White House officials were "distracted" by the 2020 election and prioritized campaigning over any COVID-19 mitigation strategies, the administration's former coronavirus adviser Deborah Birx told House investigators earlier this month.

Birx said the administration's resistance to promoting basic public health mitigation resulted in more than 100,000 avoidable deaths.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243October 26, 2021 6:58 PM

And, R243, still nothing will be done to any of them, ever.

by Anonymousreply 244October 26, 2021 7:04 PM

Correct, R244. Even worse, the whole rotten crew might be right back in the White House come 2025.

by Anonymousreply 245October 26, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote] So, do we think the next wave is starting in the UK and the rest of Europe now? It always hits America about a month or two later.

The NYT doesn’t think so, not yet anyway:

Covid Cases Keep Falling

Covid cases have been falling in every region of the U.S., offering hope.

Oct. 26, 2021, 6:18 a.m. ET

1. Covid’s retreat continues

The number of new daily Covid-19 cases has plunged 57 percent since peaking on Sept. 1. Almost as encouraging as the magnitude of the decline is its breadth: Cases have been declining in every region.

Forecasting Covid’s future is extremely difficult, as we all should know by now, and it’s certainly possible that cases will rise again in the coming weeks. But the geographic breadth of the decline does offer reason for optimism.

Past Covid increases have generally started in one part of the country — like the South this past summer or the New York region in early 2020 — and then gone national. Today, there is no regional surge that seems to have the makings of a nationwide surge.

Yes, there are some local hot spots, as has almost always been the case since the pandemic began. (You can look up your county.) Several of the hot spots are in northern parts of the country, like Alaska, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota and a few counties near the Canadian border in New Hampshire and Vermont. This pattern has led to some speculation that the onset of cold weather is causing the increases by moving more activity indoors — and that the entire country will soon experience a rise in caseloads.

That does not seem to be the most likely scenario, however. In most colder regions, including both Canada and the densely populated parts of the northern U.S., cases are still falling. The biggest problem for Alaska and the Mountain West is probably not the weather; it’s the vaccine skepticism. Idaho is the nation’s least vaccinated state, and several other Western states are only slightly ahead of it.

The C.D.C. tracks a range of Covid forecasting models. On average, the models predict that new daily cases in the U.S. will fall roughly another 20 percent over the next three weeks.

The bottom line: There is no reason to expect another Covid surge anytime soon, but surges don’t always announce themselves in advance.

by Anonymousreply 246October 26, 2021 8:36 PM

Cont. from r246…

2. Severity looks stable

When the Delta variant began spreading this summer, many people worried that it was both much more contagious than earlier versions of the virus and much more severe. Only one of those two fears seems to be true.

Delta is clearly more contagious, which is the main reason that every metric of the pandemic — cases, hospitalizations and deaths — soared this summer. But a typical Covid case during the Delta wave was about as severe as a typical case during the earlier stages of the pandemic. During the wave in late 2020 and early this year, about 1.2 percent of positive cases led to death; during the Delta wave, the share was 1.1 percent.

Scientific studies trying to answer the severity question more precisely have come to conflicting conclusions. Some have found Delta to be more severe than other versions of the virus, and others have found that it is not. Until the research becomes clearer, the best guess may be that Delta is modestly more severe, which could explain why hospitalizations and death rates have held steady even as vaccination rates have risen.

“Delta may be a little more serious, but not materially so,” Dr. Robert Wachter, chair of the department of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, told me.

This pattern can influence how you think about your day-to-day activities. If you are vaccinated (and boosted, if eligible) and you were comfortable socializing indoors and without a mask last spring, you can probably feel comfortable doing so again, now or soon. Wachter adds: “Some older people or those with medical conditions may want to be sure that everybody else indoors with them is vaccinated before removing their mask.”

by Anonymousreply 247October 26, 2021 8:37 PM

Cont. from above…

3. The U.S. is underperforming

Despite all the encouraging news, one shadow still hangs over the U.S.: The pandemic does not need to be nearly as bad it is.

About 1,500 Americans have died of Covid every day over the past week. For older age groups, the virus remains a leading cause of death. And the main reason is that millions of Americans have chosen to remain unvaccinated. Many of them are older and have underlying medical conditions, leaving them vulnerable to severe versions of Covid.

For older people, the effects of vaccination are profound. In late August, near the height of the Delta wave, 24 out of every 10,000 unvaccinated Americans 65 and above were hospitalized with Covid symptoms, according to the C.D.C. Among fully vaccinated Americans 65 and above, the number was 1.5 per 10,000.

Even so, many Americans are saying no to a shot. Among affluent countries, the U.S. is one of the least vaccinated, trailing Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Britain, France, Germany, Italy and others. Less vaccination means more death:

The low vaccination rate in the U.S. is another consequence of our polarized politics and our high levels of socioeconomic inequality. Only 67 percent of American adults without a four-year college degree have received a shot, compared with 82 percent of college graduates, according to the most recent Kaiser Family Foundation poll. And only 58 percent of self-identified Republicans are vaccinated, compared with 90 percent of Democrats.

It’s a triumph of misinformation. Offered a lifesaving drug to counteract a highly contagious virus, many Americans are instead choosing to take their chances.

——

END.

by Anonymousreply 248October 26, 2021 8:39 PM

I’m surprised to learn that Delta is only more contagious but not more severe. The early anecdotes from people who caught breakthrough infections made it sound like it was way more serious: “Delta is no joke,” etc. I think those people weren’t even in a position to judge it, because they hadn’t had Covid before, so how would they know? But the anecdotes read like, “This is worse than before!”

by Anonymousreply 249October 26, 2021 8:41 PM

[quote]Birx said the administration's resistance to promoting basic public health mitigation resulted in more than 100,000 avoidable deaths.

NOW, a warning?

by Anonymousreply 250October 26, 2021 8:44 PM

Personally I think Delta must have been more severe. If the severity were the same the death rate should have plummeted given the widespread availability of monoclonal antibody treatment, not remained flat.

by Anonymousreply 251October 26, 2021 8:50 PM

NEWSFLASH: Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States.

"At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people. Notably, Israel with over 60% of their population fully vaccinated had the highest COVID-19 cases per 1 million people in the last 7 days. The lack of a meaningful association between percentage population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases is further exemplified, for instance, by comparison of Iceland and Portugal. Both countries have over 75% of their population fully vaccinated and have more COVID-19 cases per 1 million people than countries such as Vietnam and South Africa that have around 10% of their population fully vaccinated."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252October 26, 2021 11:59 PM

Yeah, that study has been ricocheting around the anti-vaxx atmosphere for a few weeks. Here’s one of a zillion refutations:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253October 27, 2021 12:22 AM

That’s interesting R252, because it’s definitely not the case in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 254October 27, 2021 12:25 AM

Thanksgiving is in a month so cases/deaths will rise again starting December 1.

by Anonymousreply 255October 27, 2021 12:27 AM

Merry Christmas to All, and to all a Good Riddance!

by Anonymousreply 256October 27, 2021 12:33 AM

Meanwhile the positive case rate (7-day average) for fully vaccinated people in NYC is a staggering 0.006%. I would have expected 50% based on all the doomsday prognosticating about Delta and waning effectiveness and all the anecdotal evidence.

by Anonymousreply 257October 27, 2021 12:34 AM

Great R253. I'll be sure to get in depth study analysis from "healthfeedback.org".

by Anonymousreply 258October 27, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote]Great [R253]. I'll be sure to get in depth study analysis from "healthfeedback.org".

That’s probably too complex for you. All you have to know is that the author of the study you cited refutes the anti-vaxx spin on it.

S.V. Subramanian told PolitiFact:

"Concluding from this analysis that vaccines are useless is misleading and inaccurate. Rather, the analysis supports vaccination as an important strategy for reducing infection and transmission, along with handwashing, mask-wearing, proper ventilation and physical distancing."

by Anonymousreply 259October 27, 2021 2:17 AM

R259, Didn't say they were useless. Just suggesting they aren't any better than natural herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 260October 27, 2021 5:37 AM

Except for all the, you know, dying R260.

by Anonymousreply 261October 27, 2021 7:22 AM

[quote]Just suggesting they aren't any better than natural herd immunity

Unless you're one of the people who die, in which case they are considerably better. Just spin the barrel and pull the trigger.

by Anonymousreply 262October 27, 2021 1:14 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263October 27, 2021 2:30 PM

Vaccination may not protect against Long Covid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264October 27, 2021 5:51 PM

FYI for anyone who is interested. I have two very minor quibbles.

1) the pause in 2014 only technically applied to Avian influenza, MERS and OG SARS.

2) P3CO has replaced GOF as the official name.

But otherwise it’s a well done thoughtful article IMHO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265October 27, 2021 10:32 PM

Ironically, there is something that the unvaccinated will always have in common with the vaccinated.

They'll never be fully vaxed.

by Anonymousreply 266October 28, 2021 2:13 AM

You're never fully vaxxed without a smile, r266!

by Anonymousreply 267October 28, 2021 2:37 AM

R266, you are probably too simple to understand this but I'll give it a shot.

The first two doses of Pfizer and Moderna were basically one big shot trying to get people as protected as possible as quickly as possible. It was a megadose upfront. Just like all your childhood vaccinations, the actual booster comes 6 months to a year (or more sometimes) after the initial dose. That is what those of us with even a modicum of intelligence are starting to get now. If they follow the model of almost all other vaccinations, we will now be fully vaxxed longterm just like you are most likely fully vaxxed against things like Rubella, Mumps, Measles, etc. but haven't gotten a booster for those since you were a child.

This is not like the annual influenza vaccine that protects against different strains every year. Covid19 is Covid19, even with its variants. Could there be a hugely morphed variant that wipes out all progress? Maybe, but not likely and, in actuality, any variant that changed the structure enough to dodge a fully boosted vaccine would no longer be Covid19.

So, in other words, you're just ignorant, uneducated, and wrong.

by Anonymousreply 268October 28, 2021 7:37 AM

Great explanation R268.

by Anonymousreply 269October 28, 2021 11:29 AM

R268, you're indeed the ignorant one. Ignorant of the studies out there that don't come from the US.

"In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people. Notably, Israel with over 60% of their population fully vaccinated had the highest COVID-19 cases per 1 million people in the last 7 days.

The lack of a meaningful association between percentage population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases is further exemplified, for instance, by comparison of Iceland and Portugal. Both countries have over 75% of their population fully vaccinated and have more COVID-19 cases per 1 million people than countries such as Vietnam and South Africa that have around 10% of their population fully vaccinated."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270October 31, 2021 2:59 AM

Natural immunity LASTS LONGER than that from vaccines:

“Assessed the persistence of serum antibodies following WT SARS-CoV-2 infection at 8 and 13 months after diagnosis in 367 individuals…found that NAb against the WT virus persisted in 89% and S-IgG in 97% of subjects for at least 13 months after infection.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271October 31, 2021 3:06 AM

Natural immunity is UNRELIABLE:

“UK study: ~1 in 4 people who were infected & tested PCR positive for COVID19 did NOT go on to develop IgG antibodies. Particularly if they were asymptomatic & elderly.”

by Anonymousreply 272October 31, 2021 3:09 AM

Conclusions: This study demonstrated that natural immunity confers longer lasting and stronger protection against infection, symptomatic disease and hospitalization caused by the Delta variant of SARS-CoV-2, compared to the BNT162b2 two-dose vaccine-induced immunity.

27 TIMES LESS LIKELY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273October 31, 2021 3:10 AM

“The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.

More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies

Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity”

Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 31, 2021 3:16 AM

All y'all bitches prancing around on here acting like you know best about COVID need to sit down and shut up. Reading something on the internet does not make you an expert on anything other than trolling.

by Anonymousreply 275October 31, 2021 6:13 AM

But they did their own RESEARCH r275!

by Anonymousreply 276October 31, 2021 8:03 AM

Potential for a pan-Coronavirus vaccine on the horizon.

(Helpful hint to the antivaxxers - losing all your teeth to meth protects against cavities better than brushing and flossing.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277October 31, 2021 2:12 PM

The island nation of Tonga on Friday reported its first-ever case of COVID-19 after a traveler from New Zealand tested positive.

Tonga is home to about 106,000 people. About 31% of Tongans are fully vaccinated and 48% have had at least one dose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278October 31, 2021 6:10 PM

Please tell me that Pita's vaccinated!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279October 31, 2021 8:32 PM

Jen Psaki tests positive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 1, 2021 12:23 AM

Precautions being taken. Sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 281November 1, 2021 1:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 1, 2021 9:38 AM

R279 She would be, without a doubt. She is a smart lady not some crazy anti-vaxxer nut job.

by Anonymousreply 283November 1, 2021 10:31 AM

of course it's related, R282

by Anonymousreply 284November 1, 2021 12:44 PM

The pandemic is far from over. 70 % of the population above 18 are fully vaxxed here. We are now seeing a huge increase in both number of new cases and people hospitalized, including people on respirator. It's terrifying. The hospitals are already warning that they are almost at full capacity.

by Anonymousreply 285November 1, 2021 2:49 PM

R285, are the hospitalized part of the 70% fully vaccinated, or are they the non-vaccinated?

by Anonymousreply 286November 1, 2021 3:01 PM

R286 Not sure, but I think both. Many vaccinated are getting sick here. And before you call me an anti-vaxxer, I am not. I am fully vaxxed with Pfizer and will get the booster if offered.

by Anonymousreply 287November 1, 2021 3:06 PM

The number of newly infected people with the coronavirus has skyrocketed again in Denmark and Norway in recent weeks.

In Norway, the number of people testing positive rose by 53 per cent in one week. However, the number of cases requiring hospital treatment was at a low level in both countries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288November 1, 2021 4:11 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289November 1, 2021 8:08 PM

Whew, am I relieved!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290November 2, 2021 6:13 AM

Does anyone think R290 realizes that he linked to a satire site that makes fun of Christians and their stupidity?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291November 2, 2021 6:24 AM

One of my cousins, who is a right-wing Trumper, posts links to that site on Facebook. Not sure if she knows it's satire.

by Anonymousreply 292November 2, 2021 11:15 AM

Don't tell her.

Just laugh at her tiny, tiny head.

by Anonymousreply 293November 2, 2021 11:20 AM

Duh, R291. But Christians clearly aren't the only ones who are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 294November 2, 2021 7:13 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295November 2, 2021 8:16 PM

probably a shitty vaccine. not pfizer or moderna or JnJ

by Anonymousreply 296November 2, 2021 8:17 PM

I'm sure the Daily Mail is on it, r296.

by Anonymousreply 297November 2, 2021 8:31 PM

[bold]Texas Medical Board takes 'corrective action' against Dr. Stella Immanuel over hydroxychloroquine prescription for COVID patient[/bold]

The Texas Medical Board last month took a “corrective action” against Houston’s Dr. Stella Immanuel after she prescribed hydroxychloroquine to treat a patient’s COVID-19 infection without adequately explaining the health consequences, according to medical board records.

. . .

In an Oct. 15 decision, the medical board ordered Immanuel to submit proof of informed consent — or permission given by a patient who understands the possible health outcomes — for all off-label treatments she provides. She must adopt policies that require all consent documents to be reviewed and signed by the patient for off-label treatment. She also must pay $500 to the medical board.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298November 2, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote]There is no luciferase, and there is no luciferin in our nation’s COVID19 vaccines. But promoting disinformation has become a dangerous and routine practice of conservative news outlets and even some members of US Congress. Additional details here (link to Reuters article in tweet) - Prof Peter Hotez MD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299November 3, 2021 1:29 AM

Deer identified as widespread carrier of coronavirus: study

Yet another study of white-tailed deer suggests that the North American population is harboring widespread coronavirus infection.

As much as 80% of the 445,000-strong Iowa deer population may carry the disease, according to a new study, The Times reported on Tuesday.

That rate of infection was said to be “effectively 50 times” more pervasive in deer than Iowa’s human population.

The pre-print report, now awaiting review from scientific peers prior to publication, showed that deer may have picked up the virus from humans sometime during the testing period, between April 2020 and January 2021, though Penn State researchers are not clear as to how cross-transmission could have occurred.

Their samples were derived from both roadkill and deer felled by hunters. An analysis of their lymph nodes reflected a genomic sequencing that hinted the virus had first traveled through humans before infecting the deer.

Conversely, there is yet no evidence to suggest that humans have contracted the virus from deer.

However, the prevalence of coronavirus among animals may hamper efforts to eradicate the disease from nature — meaning that the elimination of COVID-19 in humans wouldn’t necessarily be enough to prevent another outbreak.

Researchers and Iowa wildlife officials are sounding the alarm, particularly for deer hunters and other animal handlers, warning them to take extreme precautions with the animal in nature.

A survey by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service released in August indicated a high level of antibodies in deer throughout a number of states, including Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan and New York — confirming they had been exposed to the virus at some point. The new report, however, confirms infection.

“It was effectively showing up in all parts of the state,” said Penn State research Dr. Suresh Kuchipudi. “We were dumbfounded.”

A spokesperson for the National Veterinary Services Laboratories verified the results of the new study to The Times.

It comes as no surprise that deer are susceptible to coronavirus as many other animals are proven conduits for the disease, including bats, cats, dogs, ferrets, monkeys and mink — the latter of which are known to become infected with SARS-CoV2, the virus that causes COVID-19 illness, by interacting with sickened human handlers, as well as pass that infection back to humans. As a result, millions in Denmark were culled to prevent further spread between species.

Fostered within animals populations, the virus could become stronger with time, scientists have said, leading to potentially new, aggressive strains.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300November 3, 2021 6:57 AM

Oh jesus.

by Anonymousreply 301November 3, 2021 10:44 AM

You mean Oh deer!

by Anonymousreply 302November 3, 2021 12:06 PM

[quote] Fostered within animals populations, the virus could become stronger with time, scientists have said, leading to potentially new, aggressive strains.

Could also become weaker with time, or mutate into an ungulate-only variant. But they always leave out that sentence.

by Anonymousreply 303November 3, 2021 12:16 PM

Aaron Rodgers tests positive for COVID, is unvaccinated

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304November 3, 2021 4:04 PM

I got it from kissing a girl.

by Anonymousreply 305November 3, 2021 4:17 PM

But did you like it?

by Anonymousreply 306November 3, 2021 4:19 PM

Marjorie Taylor Greene Admits She Isn't Vaccinated During Insane Meltdown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307November 3, 2021 4:41 PM

Well, it's not as if she could admit it during a calm, sane, informed discussion r307.

by Anonymousreply 308November 3, 2021 5:13 PM

Newsmax Correspondent Falsely Claims Vaccines Contain Tracking Chemical Linked To Satan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309November 3, 2021 6:28 PM

Twas ever thus -- conservatives raging against a medical advance that would materially improve the lives and healths of Americans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310November 4, 2021 1:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311November 4, 2021 1:22 PM

DL Fave Sidney Crosby has the 'rona

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312November 5, 2021 1:20 AM

It's like Deja Vu all over again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313November 5, 2021 3:48 AM

I wish America would follow suit ... quickly. The holidays are going to be ugly with so many still unvaccinated and waning immunity in the under-65 vaccinated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314November 5, 2021 12:51 PM

"Pfizer said Friday that its easy-to-administer Covid-19 pill, used in combination with a widely used HIV drug, cut the risk of hospitalization or death by 89% in high-risk adults who’ve been exposed to the virus.

It’s now the second antiviral pill behind Merck’s to demonstrate strong effectiveness for treating Covid at the first sign of illness. If cleared by regulators, it would likely be a game changer in the ongoing global pandemic fight."

Waiting for YouTube chiropractors and other charlatans to claim the pill will give people AIDS ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315November 5, 2021 2:53 PM

20 new deaths here in Norway in just one week. Worst week in months. One fully vaccinated person from my small town died yesterday. Not great news. Most people hospitalized now are people who are fully vaxxed.

by Anonymousreply 316November 5, 2021 3:02 PM

Since the beginning of the pandemic, it’s been nothing but bad news out of you, Norwegian.

by Anonymousreply 317November 5, 2021 3:07 PM

I never condemn people for telling the truth or bringing troubling information, but I have to say that Norwegian is like the Schleprock of Covid. He shows up and it's always bad news.

by Anonymousreply 318November 5, 2021 3:11 PM

R317 Well, we did have a period with few new cases, few hospitalizations and no deaths. It lasted a few months. Summer wasn't bad. This has all changed. It's gotten increasingly bad. It's so frustrating to see so many new cases , hospitalizations and deaths especially since we have so many fully vaccinated now. 70 % of the population are fully vaxxed, almost 90 % of the population above 18 are fully vaxxed. What's the point in getting vaxxed if it's no help? I'm saying this as a fully vaxxed person btw. I'm not an anti vaxxer at all. I just don't get how it can be this bad, I thought the vaccines were supposed to help, but they're not. Now we're facing new restrictions and new lockdowns. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 319November 5, 2021 3:19 PM

An 11 year old boy died in Denmark due to covid, with no other underlying illness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320November 5, 2021 3:22 PM

R296 Many people have died lately here in Norway who are fully vaxxed.

by Anonymousreply 321November 5, 2021 3:23 PM

R296 I forgot to mention we only use Pfizer and Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 322November 5, 2021 3:24 PM

R314 I live in Norway here the health authorities spent weeks deciding if they should give a booster shot or not. They finally decided it was a good idea, after elderly people who were fully vaxxed started dying from covid. Now they have decided those aged 65+ will get a booster, in addition to those who are immune compromized. No word yet if I will get one (I'm a Millennial). They will probably spend several more weeks deciding if it's worth it, while more people are dying from covid.

by Anonymousreply 323November 5, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote]I just don't get how it can be this bad, I thought the vaccines were supposed to help, but they're not.

As bad as it is, it would be much, much worse without vaccines. But boosters are definitely needed.

by Anonymousreply 324November 5, 2021 3:35 PM

Please stay safe. colder temps are here and more time spent indoors. wear your masks!

by Anonymousreply 325November 5, 2021 3:39 PM

Face masks are back in Oslo. So glad I live in a shitty little town and not the capital these days. Like, I drive my own car to work. I don't need to use public transportation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326November 5, 2021 3:50 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327November 5, 2021 3:52 PM

Ugh, I still have 5 more weeks in NYC before I return home. It's hell trying to outrun this fucking thing.

by Anonymousreply 328November 5, 2021 4:00 PM

The pills are fantastic news and could be a turning point, but with testing in the USA as half-assed as it is, how will the pills ever get to the people who need them quickly enough?

by Anonymousreply 329November 5, 2021 4:05 PM

if you ever go looking for your heart's desire again, r328, don't look any further than your own backyard; because if it isn't there, you never really lost it to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 330November 5, 2021 4:06 PM

Um, I'm working, R330

by Anonymousreply 331November 5, 2021 4:13 PM

Ron DeSantis Sues President Biden For Trying To Protect Americans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332November 5, 2021 6:37 PM

R328, I don’t know where you’re going when you leave NYC, but the Covid hot spots are elsewhere. New York City isn’t one of them.

by Anonymousreply 333November 5, 2021 6:51 PM

My comment was in response to the news that things are starting to increase again. I still have five weeks here before I go home, where I'm usually locked in by myself. So I'm hoping to make it out of here without getting sick amidst a possible nationwide increase of cases and sequester myself in the safety of my apartment if a third wave is indeed on the rise. (I live in Los Angeles.)

by Anonymousreply 334November 5, 2021 11:37 PM

Molnupiravir is not similar to a vaccine, R2. It's a pill that's taken twice a day for five days, and it has to be started within five days of symptom onset. It's been in development for over a decade, originally for ebola.

In the first phase, it enters a cell and is converted into something closely resembling cytidine, which is a component of RNA.

The second phase begins when the virus is replicating and begins incorporating the fake cytidine, thinking it's the real thing.

At that point, it randomly switches between mimicking cytidine and uridine which causes so many mutations that replication becomes impossible.

by Anonymousreply 335November 6, 2021 12:19 AM

Oops. Wrong COVID thread.

by Anonymousreply 336November 6, 2021 12:20 AM

For those breakthrough Covid cases in Norway, it would be interesting to know when they got their 2nd shots. If it's been past 6 months in the majority of the cases, that would promote the need for boosters for everybody.

by Anonymousreply 337November 6, 2021 12:45 AM

[quote]Oops. Wrong COVID thread.

Wrong thread or not, thanks for the information r335!

by Anonymousreply 338November 6, 2021 8:03 AM

R313's article is very disconcerting.

by Anonymousreply 339November 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Aaron Rodgers dropped by sponsor Prevea Health after COVID vaccine comments

Aaron Rodgers, suddenly the face of vaccine hesitation, no longer made much sense as the face of a medical clinic group that wants to encourage everyone to be vaccinated.

Prevea Health, which is headquartered in Green Bay, Wis., dropped the Packers quarterback as a spokesman one day after Rodgers, on “The Pat McAfee Show,” ranted against the “woke mob” that has shamed him since it was learned he has refused the COVID-19 vaccine.

“Prevea Health remains deeply committed to protecting its patients, staff, providers and communities amidst the COVID-19 pandemic,” the health-care organization said in a statement released Saturday. “This includes encouraging and helping all eligible populations to become vaccinated against COVID-19 to prevent the virus from further significantly impacting lives and livelihoods.”

Rodgers, who had been a spokesman for Prevea Health since 2012, said he has an allergy to an ingredient in the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines and did not trust the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because he heard of friends’ adverse reactions to it and the fact it had been temporarily pulled over blood-clotting issues (reported clots affected mostly women, and in microscopic numbers). He also cited fears about fertility, though the CDC has said there is no evidence that links fertility issues with the vaccines.

Rodgers said he listened to COVID-19 advice from comedian and podcaster Joe Rogan, but seemingly not from Prevea Health. The 37-year-old Rodgers tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this week, which will cost him at least one game and at least one sponsor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 6, 2021 11:37 PM

He's only 37?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 341November 7, 2021 6:39 AM

[quote]In Greece, antivaxxers have been paying doctors 400 euros to give them shots of bacteriostatic water instead of th #COVID19 vaccine.

[quote]Except the doctors have been pocketing the money and giving them the real shot anyway:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342November 7, 2021 10:16 AM

They went into hospitals with heart attacks, kidney failure or in a psychiatric crisis.

They left with covid-19 — if they left at all.

More than 10,000 patients were diagnosed with covid in a U.S. hospital last year after they were admitted for something else. The number is certainly an undercount, since it includes mostly patients 65 and older, plus California and Florida patients of all ages.

Yet in the scheme of things that can go wrong in a hospital, it is catastrophic: About 21% of the patients who contracted covid in the hospital from April to September last year died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343November 7, 2021 12:55 PM

omg, that's fucked up!

by Anonymousreply 344November 7, 2021 2:49 PM

"So let me get this straight: Aaron Rodgers can spread misinformation about vaccines, but Colin Kaepernick can't speak the truth about racial injustice?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345November 7, 2021 4:44 PM

How do they know all of those cases were hospital acquired? They don't. It can take up to five days post infection for it to show up and that's on the actual PCR test, not the crappier rapid test. To say that all those people caught and died from Covid they got in the hospital is absolutely misleading and dangerous because it will cause people to avoid going to the hospital if they need it. No, they weren't admitted for Covid but that is not the same as not infected with Covid when they were admitted.

The fact that all doctors and nurses and anyone else working with patients aren't required to be vaccinated is criminal.

by Anonymousreply 346November 7, 2021 6:09 PM

[quote]How do they know all of those cases were hospital acquired? They don't.

"[One} study's authors sequenced the genome of the virus to confirm which cases were related ― and precisely how it traveled through the hospital."

by Anonymousreply 347November 7, 2021 9:12 PM

My mom and brother caught covid in a nursing home. The staff are not required to be vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 348November 7, 2021 10:23 PM

In October, 25 out of every 100,000 residents of heavily Trump counties died from Covid, more than three times higher than the rate in heavily Biden counties (7.8 per 100,000). October was the fifth consecutive month that the percentage gap between the death rates in Trump counties and Biden counties widened.

Some conservative writers have tried to claim that the gap may stem from regional differences in weather or age, but those arguments fall apart under scrutiny. (If weather or age were a major reason, the pattern would have begun to appear last year.) The true explanation is straightforward: The vaccines are remarkably effective at preventing severe Covid, and almost 40 percent of Republican adults remain unvaccinated, compared with about 10 percent of Democratic adults.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349November 8, 2021 3:39 PM

Nationwide cases started falling in September. Experts have attributed the decline to vaccination progress as well as widespread mask wearing and use of disinfectants, among other reasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350November 8, 2021 3:57 PM

Pfizer has filed for boosters for all adults over 18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351November 9, 2021 11:43 PM

I like the direct approach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352November 10, 2021 1:59 AM

^^ The fucking masks are mainly just for show. Any facial covering is acceptable in the subway, but only KN95s really work—and the vast, vast majority (like north of 95%) of riders don’t wear those.

I got a sinus infection from reusing mine, like an idiot—all to protect my fellow New Yorkers from a virus I don’t have and which is actually rather well contained here, according to the latest cases-per-100k figures.

by Anonymousreply 353November 10, 2021 2:13 AM

Please, show your work, r353.

by Anonymousreply 354November 10, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] I got a sinus infection from reusing mine

How many times have you reused it, you moron?

by Anonymousreply 355November 10, 2021 2:37 AM

Prefer not to say, R355.

by Anonymousreply 356November 10, 2021 2:40 AM

I've tried the N95 ones, those made in Korea...I can't wear them for too long, gets very uncomfortable. I wear the disposable blue ones.

by Anonymousreply 357November 10, 2021 2:48 AM

So much conflicting info on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 358November 10, 2021 2:52 AM

How so, r358?

by Anonymousreply 359November 10, 2021 2:57 AM

N95 masks are ones we wear in medical settings — they have two elastics going around the head.

KN95 are Chinese and KF94 are Korean. They have ear loops and aren’t as tight-fitting as an N95.

by Anonymousreply 360November 10, 2021 2:57 AM

I like the Honeywell N95. I just ordered 50 more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361November 10, 2021 3:48 AM

Oh, I hate the Honeywell. Terrible odor.

by Anonymousreply 362November 10, 2021 3:58 AM

The KN95s give me maskne but I use them anyway. So very tired.

by Anonymousreply 363November 10, 2021 4:08 AM

r362, maybe I have covid, I never noticed the smell of the Honeywell masks and I've been wearing them for a while

by Anonymousreply 364November 10, 2021 4:21 AM

Interesting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365November 10, 2021 5:45 PM

Funny, r358 never responded to me and that's their only post. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 366November 10, 2021 5:50 PM

Has anyone posted yet about the numbers coming from Israel re: booster effectiveness? Very good news.

See link below (sorry, you just have to check out the graphics included; there’s no text I can copy and paste here as it’s in table format.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367November 11, 2021 12:21 AM

Has anyone read any good articles on the newest uptick in cases in a lot of states and whether this is just a post-Halloween spike? You know, so we can know what to expect from the post-Thanksgiving, post-Christmas, and post-New Years spikes.

My Christmas wish is that all the unvaccinated adults in this country drop dead. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 368November 11, 2021 3:29 AM

I don’t think it has anything to do with Halloween. The same is happening in Europe where they don’t do Halloween.

It has to do with waning immunity among the vaccinated, and the unvaccinated continuing to be dirty whores.

by Anonymousreply 369November 11, 2021 3:32 AM

Isn't some of Europe's issue due to some new variant out of Romania or Bulgaria or something?

by Anonymousreply 370November 11, 2021 3:50 AM

Nah, Delta is king. No other variant has even gotten a toehold.

by Anonymousreply 371November 11, 2021 3:52 AM

The spikes are primarily due to unvaccinated assholes.

by Anonymousreply 372November 11, 2021 6:14 AM

Newsmax Reporter Permanently Banned From Twitter Over COVID Lies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373November 11, 2021 9:47 PM

Oh great: 38,000 TONS of Covid waste now swirling around in the oceans.

Mask UP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374November 12, 2021 1:49 PM

Netherlands, Austria, Germany imposing partial lockdowns as cases spike

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375November 12, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote]The majority of the plastic — about 87.4% — was used by hospitals, while 7.6% was used by individuals.

R374, did you want the doctors and nurses to not mask up? You didn't even read beyond the title of the article, did you? Why are anti-mask Repugs all so stupid?

by Anonymousreply 376November 12, 2021 8:15 PM

I'm just going to slip this in this thread. How truly amazing is Stacey Abrams?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377November 12, 2021 10:27 PM

60 Million still unvaxed. We are screwed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378November 13, 2021 1:03 AM

Just get the third shot booster and be done with it. The UNVACCINATED might be screwed (at least those who don’t have natural immunity or whose natural immunity is now wearing off), but the rest of us aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 379November 13, 2021 1:06 AM

Questions Pile Up About Florida's Surgeon General Pick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380November 13, 2021 3:20 AM

^ Sturgeon General

by Anonymousreply 381November 13, 2021 1:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382November 13, 2021 1:39 PM

R382 those chemists are saying "COVID is dead to me!". That was a joke for all you with no humor (there are lots of you on DL). Seriously, maybe they have a good point about all the possible mutation combinations already exhausted and now it will start to die out?

by Anonymousreply 383November 13, 2021 7:09 PM

From the Treason thread...

New documents show Trump Admin silenced CDC at start of pandemic, tried to alter expert scientific reports, and then tried to delete evidence they were doing so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384November 14, 2021 4:04 AM

^^That, IMO, warrants even more urgent Congressional action than the Jan. 6 attack does. Trump is directly responsible for tens if not hundreds of thousands of American deaths ... and nobody is holding him to account.

by Anonymousreply 385November 14, 2021 11:33 AM

Do they really expect the unvaccinated to comply?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386November 14, 2021 12:54 PM

"Police have been asked to check people outside to make sure they are vaccinated ... (and) additional officers would go on patrol to control the lockdown."

by Anonymousreply 387November 14, 2021 12:56 PM

That's what the entire world should have done from the beginning, R387. It would have saved millions of lives.

by Anonymousreply 388November 15, 2021 6:58 AM

Well, I found this helpful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389November 15, 2021 12:14 PM

I am going to adopt Der Spiegel's language for the current state of the covid crisis:

A Pandemic of the Feebleminded

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390November 15, 2021 3:53 PM

We will never fully know how many people died as a result of these actions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391November 15, 2021 4:10 PM

New Reporting Reinforces Trump's Criminal Liability for Avoidable COVID Deaths: An Analysis

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392November 15, 2021 6:31 PM

[quote] We will never fully know how many people died as a result of these actions.

Yes we will- 750,000 and counting.

by Anonymousreply 393November 15, 2021 7:59 PM

No, R393. Many people would have died regardless of what any government officials did or didn't do. The number would have likely been lower, but certainly not zero. But you knew that....

by Anonymousreply 394November 15, 2021 8:34 PM

You get Covid, you don't die, so now everything's okay, right?

[quote] 50 percent of people who survive covid-19 face lingering symptoms, study finds

[quote] At least 50 percent of people who survive covid-19 experience a variety of physical and psychological health issues for six months or more after their initial recovery, according to research on the long-term effects of the disease, published in the journal JAMA Network Open.

[quote] Often referred to as “long covid,” the adverse health effects vary from person to person. But the research, based on data from 250,351 adults and children, found that more than half experience a decline in general well-being, resulting in weight loss, fatigue, fever or pain.

[quote] About 20 percent have decreased mobility, 25 percent have trouble thinking or concentrating (called “brain fog”), 30 percent develop an anxiety disorder, 25 percent have breathing problems, and 20 percent have hair loss or skin rashes. Cardiovascular issues — chest pain and palpitations — are common, as are stomach and gastrointestinal problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395November 15, 2021 8:59 PM

There's still how many Covid deaths that weren't counted as Covid deaths?

by Anonymousreply 396November 16, 2021 12:57 AM

I’m sorry but any “long Covid” study that lists “anxiety” or an “anxiety disorder” as one of the symptoms, is hard to take seriously.

Some symptoms that are measurable in the body are worth looking at as troublesome lingering post-Covid conditions. But let’s get serious about things, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 397November 16, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote] No, [R393]. Many people would have died regardless of what any government officials did or didn't do. The number would have likely been lower, but certainly not zero. But you knew that....

Don't you DARE defend Trump or his administration. They are to blame for every. single. death. Those assholes pulled our people out of China and disbanded the team who should have and could have been monitoring this before it got out of control. Every single infection can be laid at their feet.

by Anonymousreply 398November 16, 2021 2:14 AM

Don't you DARE accuse me of defending that orange freak show, R398! FUCK YOU for even suggesting that.

That said, you are delusional if you think there would have been ZERO deaths if any elected official had done anything differently. It's a viral pandemic. No human being has that much power, regardless of how much your ridiculous self wants to pretend. You might want to get some psychological help if you truly believe that, cuz you got issues hon.

by Anonymousreply 399November 16, 2021 6:43 AM

Gurls. You are both tiresome. R398 R399

by Anonymousreply 400November 16, 2021 7:29 AM

Actually R399 is clearly the correct one. The only thing tiresome is that he had to defend himself against r398’s ridiculous claims. And no, I’m not a fucking Trumper magat Boris so don’t even go there, cunts.

by Anonymousreply 401November 16, 2021 7:40 AM

[quote] Don't you DARE accuse me of defending that orange freak show

If the shoe fits...

by Anonymousreply 402November 16, 2021 11:47 AM

It doesn't, R402. Troll fail.

by Anonymousreply 403November 16, 2021 9:46 PM

CNN: FDA planning to authorize Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine booster doses for all adults in U.S. by Friday.

by Anonymousreply 404November 16, 2021 9:48 PM

Republican Senator Gets BOOTED From YouTube For Spreading Vaccine Lies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405November 17, 2021 6:12 PM

Agency Trump Picked To Handle Pandemic Spent ZERO Dollars Fighting Pandemic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406November 18, 2021 6:24 PM

Lunatic "Doctor" Says Child Vaccination is "Late Term Abortion"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407November 19, 2021 2:12 AM

R407, please tell us what reason there is to vaccinate a kid? I agree it's not 'late term abortion', but kids have strong immunity in general, and not ONE KID has died of covid. Not ONE.

by Anonymousreply 408November 19, 2021 3:00 AM

There haven't been zero deaths, r408. And it would cut down spread.

by Anonymousreply 409November 19, 2021 3:10 AM

Covid has killed a few morbidly obese, diabetic, elderly children with other comorbidities.

by Anonymousreply 410November 19, 2021 3:42 AM

[quote] kids have strong immunity in general, and not ONE KID has died of covid. Not ONE.

The death rate for children is very low, but not what you claim.

[quote] According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 645 children have died from Covid-19 in the US.

by Anonymousreply 411November 19, 2021 3:44 AM

We get it r408, you prefer natural herd immunity.

by Anonymousreply 412November 19, 2021 3:48 AM

Those elderly children died of that ageing disease, r410.

by Anonymousreply 413November 19, 2021 3:49 AM

The authoritative source for R408 was Aaron Rodgers's Covid-19 Summer Research Project.

by Anonymousreply 414November 19, 2021 3:58 AM

You'll be happy to know that Ohio recently renewed Sherri Tenpenny's (R407) license for another two years.

by Anonymousreply 415November 19, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote]According to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 645 children have died from Covid-19 in the US.

Per USA Today yesterday, more than 6.6 million minors have contracted the virus, 23,000 have been hospitalized and about 750 have died. But those children are inconsequential to R408's quest to minimize the virus. Or maybe he's an all-purpose vaxx denier and would prefer that children skip MMR, DTap and polio vaccines, too.

by Anonymousreply 416November 19, 2021 10:38 AM

[quote]and would prefer that children skip

I would prefer that children sit and wait obediently until it is time to shake their little money makers.

by Anonymousreply 417November 19, 2021 10:43 AM

The FDA this morning authorized Pfizer and Moderna boosters for all Americans 18 and older who are at least six months past the second shot of the two-dose vaccines.

The CDC is expected to meet this afternoon to debate whether it will agree.

by Anonymousreply 418November 19, 2021 1:51 PM

Austria introduces a national lockdown and mandates all citizens be vaccinated from February 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419November 19, 2021 1:57 PM

DeSantis Tries To Mock Biden By Signing Legislation In City Named ‘Brandon’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420November 19, 2021 4:51 PM

What should you do if you test positive for Covid-19?

When should you ask for the monoclonal antibodies treatment? Do you even qualify for it if you are not one of Joe Rogan's patients or friends?

Is vitamin D helpful according to the research, and if so, how much should you take?

The video at link offers advice to people who test positive and are not sure what to do about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421November 19, 2021 5:06 PM

I don’t know where you’re getting your information, r408, but according to this CDC link, there have been children dying of CV19. And more than just one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422November 19, 2021 6:00 PM

r408 also touts herd immunity, r422.

by Anonymousreply 423November 19, 2021 6:03 PM

I doubt anybody's going to change over an "advisory".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424November 19, 2021 9:51 PM

CDC approves boosters for all adults

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425November 19, 2021 10:27 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 426November 22, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote]More QAnon antivaxxers ingesting hydrogen peroxide:

[quote]"According to Garner, her sister has so far handed over about $200,000 to the group, and is being forced to drink a hydrogen peroxide solution and take 'bio pellets' to ward off COVID-19."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 427November 22, 2021 11:13 PM

Internally Blonde

by Anonymousreply 428November 22, 2021 11:15 PM

Peroxide is great when you need to make your dog vomit. Do you think the anti-vaxxers are just going through the doggie medicine cabinet now? First ivermectin, now peroxide?

by Anonymousreply 429November 22, 2021 11:44 PM

It'll be flea dips next!

by Anonymousreply 430November 22, 2021 11:46 PM

Serutan....spread the word!

by Anonymousreply 431November 23, 2021 12:08 AM

While I know that the vaccine does not provide 100% protection, I was hoping that since the approval of Boosters is still recent, that Boostered people wouldn't be getting infected yet as they'd have very high immunities. This is from a Q&A with a local doctor on one of the TV News stations in Detroit.

[quote]I received both doses of the Moderna vaccine and the booster. Am I still at risk? Have there been any breakthrough cases after receiving the booster? .... Unfortunately, the truth is that there have been some breakthrough cases even after a full vaccine series and a booster. That’s why during times of increased spread, like we’re having right now in Michigan, masking in public is recommended even when vaccinated. The good news is that breakthrough cases with the vaccinations you have are generally not severe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432November 23, 2021 12:31 PM

Sigh. According to the CDC, between January 2020 and October 21, 2021, there were 94 deaths amongst children age 5-11.

NINETY FOUR. And this is out of 1.9 MILLION CASES.

But hey, keep repeating to everyone you know...THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

by Anonymousreply 433November 23, 2021 10:01 PM

Just 3,145 Americans died of polio in 1952, a mere fraction of those we've lost to COVID. Guess the country should've just thrown our hands up on that one, too, eh, R433?

by Anonymousreply 434November 23, 2021 10:07 PM

You don't have children, do you, r433? Or are you Mrs. Patsy Ramsey formerly of Boulder CO?

by Anonymousreply 435November 23, 2021 10:09 PM

I have children r435. I do no begin to understand your statement.

by Anonymousreply 436November 23, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]Irony? Karma? Either way, perfect.

[quote]Seven doctors contract Covid after attending Florida anti-vaccine summit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437November 23, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote]This picture paints about 3000 words. (graph of vaccination rate v. death rate)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438November 23, 2021 11:50 PM

[quote] While I know that the vaccine does not provide 100% protection, I was hoping that since the approval of Boosters is still recent, that Boostered people wouldn't be getting infected yet as they'd have very high immunities.

The new vaccine efficacy with the booster is 96%. So yes there will be some breakthrough cases (though not in even 4% of recipients—let’s not make that mistake again)… they will truly be rare, like they were at the beginning of the vaccine rollout.

I got my Moderna booster today, and in two weeks I’m unmasking and NOT worrying about a breakthrough infection (either getting one or spreading it).

by Anonymousreply 439November 24, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]The Air Force has 20 physicians in Minnesota to help our hospitals get through this crisis. It’s that bad. And totally preventable if people would just get vaccinated. Thinking about what to get your family this holiday season? Start with the gift of life. - Rep. Dean Phillips

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440November 24, 2021 4:26 AM

Facebook is not helping and out of control with some of these Trumpers. An Anti-Vaxx "televangelist" fortysomething moron goes on FB bragging about not being vaxxed and spreading all kinds of idiotic conspiracy theories. Example = Todays "conspiracy" is that yesterdays armored truck spill was staged so the cops could arrest people who stopped to scoop up the money!!....If you haven't seen the video on FB of the woman shaking with Parkinsons and the anti-vaxxers are claiming she got the shakes after she got the Covid Vaccine. The televangelist also is illiterate and misspells all the time. Instead of "allowed" he spells it "ALOUD".---as in he is aloud to sneak into the hospitals and visit with idiot followers despite covid regulations...Idiot!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441November 24, 2021 5:08 AM

Vax up x3 then unmask and the ignorant antivax can choke on it. Moving on with life.

by Anonymousreply 442November 24, 2021 7:19 AM

R441, that is a fantasy of mine, that one day while I was walking on the road, cash would fly out of an armored truck and I would be able to pick up free cash!

by Anonymousreply 443November 24, 2021 2:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444November 24, 2021 6:47 PM

^ Jesus that's terrifying. Glad I got my booster.

by Anonymousreply 445November 24, 2021 8:09 PM

Thank you Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 446November 25, 2021 3:30 AM

Stop travel to and from Africa now. The world needs to get ahead of the new variant B.1.1.529.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447November 25, 2021 5:59 PM

The UK just announced travellers from several countries in southern Africa will have quarantine upon arrival, because of this variant.

Rare to see a government act so swiftly.

by Anonymousreply 448November 25, 2021 8:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449November 25, 2021 8:03 PM

No shithole countries!

by Anonymousreply 450November 25, 2021 8:04 PM

R450, interesting.

by Anonymousreply 451November 25, 2021 8:05 PM

omg and the US just lifted the travel ban...

by Anonymousreply 452November 25, 2021 8:11 PM

R439: "The new vaccine efficacy with the booster is 96%."

You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 453November 25, 2021 9:20 PM

Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454November 25, 2021 9:21 PM

That study points to the need for masking and social distancing in addition to vaccination, which, as we see here on DL, many people refuse to do.

by Anonymousreply 455November 26, 2021 12:06 AM

R453, do you care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 456November 26, 2021 12:32 AM

R454, that study also took place while the boosters effectiveness had started to decline and delta was at its height. The vaccine is powerfully effective.

R453, you actually seem to be the moron. The booster brings the effectiveness of the vaccine back up to about 96%, exactly where it started out at three weeks after the second dose. That's how vaccines work. You need boosters. I hope you don't have children ever because you'll be in for a big shock when they schedule all their boosters for every vaccine they're given.

by Anonymousreply 457November 26, 2021 4:31 AM

(new variant) two cases in hong kong----

One of the two had recently been in Southern Africa. That person then passed it on to a second person, quarantining in the same hotel.

'It's very airborne,' Feigl-Ding said. 'The hotel guests were in different room across the hallway from each other. Environmental samples found the virus in 25 of 87 swabs across both rooms.'

by Anonymousreply 458November 26, 2021 1:24 PM

Merck & Co said on Friday updated data from its study on its experimental COVID-19 pill showed the drug was less effective in cutting hospitalisations and deaths than previously reported. The drugmaker said its pill showed a 30% reduction in hospitalisations and deaths, as opposed to the 50% reduction it reported in October.

by Anonymousreply 459November 26, 2021 2:21 PM

Omnicron is whack

by Anonymousreply 460November 26, 2021 5:14 PM

The journal "Circulation" published an abstract of a study that seemed to indicate that the mRNA vaccines "dramatically" increase the biomarkers that predict a 5 year risk for heat attack after the second shot.

[quote] These changes resulted in an increase of the PULS score from 11% 5 yr ACS risk to 25% 5 yr ACS risk. At the time of this report, these changes persist for at least 2.5 months post second dose of vac. We conclude that the mRNA vacs dramatically increase inflammation on the endothelium and T cell infiltration of cardiac muscle and may account for the observations of increased thrombosis, cardiomyopathy, and other vascular events following vaccination.

I'll post a video from Dr. John Campbell as he tries to figure out the significance of the study.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461November 26, 2021 5:19 PM

Dr. John Campbell discusses the possible heart risk from mRNA vaccines.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462November 26, 2021 5:21 PM

(If you didn't listen to the video, his conclusions is more study is needed as well as more responses/comments from the CDC and others.)

by Anonymousreply 463November 26, 2021 5:25 PM

Hm, wonder what Covid infection does to the heart? Oh, wait...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464November 26, 2021 5:50 PM

Uh oh, better not get those horrid flu shots either! Oh, wait...

[quote]Before adjusting for potential confounding variables, the researchers found that those who were vaccinated had an 8% higher risk of heart attack (odds ratio [OR], 1.08; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.04 to 1.13). But this changed when they adjusted for a number of potential confounding variables, such as vaccination target group status, other cardiovascular risk factors, and number of medical consultations in the past 5 years. After adjustment, the vaccinated patients were found to have a 19% lower risk of AMI (OR, 0.81; 95% CI, 0.77 to 0.85).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465November 26, 2021 5:59 PM

Is it customary in the UK for a nurse with a PhD to use the honorific "Dr.," or is that just him?

by Anonymousreply 466November 26, 2021 6:18 PM

Worked for Dr. Laura, R466.

by Anonymousreply 467November 26, 2021 6:41 PM

Big Pharma is raking in the dough with the vaccines and boosters. Here come even more "variants".

by Anonymousreply 468November 27, 2021 9:10 AM

R468 Trumpster

by Anonymousreply 469November 27, 2021 10:39 AM

"The Omicron variant". Why not something simpler? The oh-my-god variant work better. I'm so over all this.

by Anonymousreply 470November 27, 2021 12:55 PM

[quote] I'm so over all this.

Okay. I'll stop.

by Anonymousreply 471November 27, 2021 5:38 PM

Wow. Greece means business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 472December 1, 2021 1:10 AM

Two fully vaccinated Israeli doctors test positive for Omicron variant

Two Israeli doctors have contracted the Omicron variant of COVID-19 — even after being fully vaccinated and receiving their booster shots.

The doctors had each received their double-dose of the Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine plus a follow-up booster, according to a rep for the Sheba Medical Center outside Tel Aviv, Reuters reported.

One doctor had recently returned from a conference in London, according to the hospital, which said it was likely he infected his colleague.

The pair were reportedly experiencing mild COVID symptoms Tuesday.

The infections come just days after Israel shut its borders to foreigners, instituting a two-week ban Saturday.

Other new emergency measures related to Omicron require Israeli citizens returning home from some African nations to quarantine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473December 1, 2021 3:12 AM

A friend of mine got Covid a few weeks ago. He was vaxxed back in the spring but had not gotten his booster. He tested negative after 10 days, then got sick again a few days later and re-tested and is still positive. He's now become a rabid anti-vaxxer because he got sick and the vaccinations (in his mind) "didn't work." His body is fighting it off naturally, he thinks, and vaccines "don't matter." When I explained to him how vaccines work and why he is putting far too much expectation into them, he told me- far more vaccinated people spread Covid than unvaccinated. I'm about to stop talking to him for good.

by Anonymousreply 474December 1, 2021 2:12 PM

Ohio, Tennessee, Kentucky only for now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475December 2, 2021 12:46 AM

GOP Sen. Ron Johnson Claims Dr. Fauci Has Overhyped Omicron Variant

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476December 2, 2021 5:42 PM

“Fauci did the exact same thing with AIDS. He overhyped it,” Johnson told “Fox and Friends” co-host Brian Kilmeade.

by Anonymousreply 477December 2, 2021 5:47 PM

Ron Johnson truly is Village of the Damned.

by Anonymousreply 478December 2, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote]#YoureDefinitelyNotHavingSexIf you’re rocking this tee shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479December 2, 2021 11:52 PM

Sen. Ron Johnson may turn out to be right about Omylanta.

by Anonymousreply 480December 3, 2021 12:58 AM

My cousin, to whom I am close, just had her anti-vaxxer Trumper evangelical 60-something year old father in law drop dead in his house after a week of untreated COVID. The mother in law has it as well, but was dismissing it as "just allergies" for days. They finally gave up and went to a doctor today; he tested poz and died on the same day.

Fuck Around and Find Out.

by Anonymousreply 481December 3, 2021 1:30 AM

[quote]Sen. Ron Johnson may turn out to be right about Omylanta.

A literal impossibility.

[quote]Senate's Dumbest Republican Pretty Sure Dr. Fauci Overreacted To AIDS Too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482December 3, 2021 7:39 AM

[quote]Missouri health department found mask mandates work, but didn’t make findings public

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483December 3, 2021 11:44 AM

I have a question, which I’m sure has been answered in the multiple threads, but I’m too lazy to scroll through:

Unvaxxed person catches CV, back in early Nov., recovers. His unvaxxed son now might have it (they’re testing today). Can the father still be a carrier for it to spread to other people? Or does his anti-bodies kill off the new virus from his son?

by Anonymousreply 484December 4, 2021 2:52 PM

The general findings are whatever immunity actual infection provides is not particularly strong or long lasting. I would think he is unlikely to keep transmitting fourteen days after the onset of symptoms or the confirmation of infection if asymptomatic. If it's Omicron he could be reinfected because there's emerging evidence it is the most transmissible of all the variants because there's a finding - not peer reviewed - that Omie has genetic characteristics shared with the much more transmissible common cold. His risk is probably lower than anyone who hasn't been infected or vaccinated but how high his protection is... I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Not none, definitely some, far from invincible.

by Anonymousreply 485December 4, 2021 4:22 PM

Gonna need to see your diploma Dr. Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 486December 4, 2021 4:32 PM

An update to R481: The dead asshole's asshole family are telling everyone that he died of a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 487December 5, 2021 12:38 PM

[quote]A new NPR analysis reveals that pro-Trump counties now have a higher death rate from COVID-19 than counties that voted for Joe Biden.

[quote]Mistrust and vaccine misinformation are to blame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488December 5, 2021 5:23 PM

Rand Paul Wants Fauci Imprisoned For Crime He Didn't Commit

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 489December 6, 2021 4:23 PM

How very republican of him.

by Anonymousreply 490December 6, 2021 4:25 PM

"On Friday, Oct. 2, 2020, hours after the president announced on Twitter that he had tested positive for the virus, he recorded a blood oxygen level of about 86 percent. On the walk out to his helicopter, he had lost so much strength that he dropped a briefcase he had planned to carry outside."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491December 7, 2021 1:15 PM

R491 Jesus that's depressing. So close, and yet so far....

by Anonymousreply 492December 7, 2021 2:19 PM

R491 Yet here I am. RBG been dead for two years. There is no karma ya loosers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493December 7, 2021 5:10 PM

More on vaccines plus infection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494December 12, 2021 12:04 PM

Damn activist judges.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495December 12, 2021 12:07 PM

Fun times. This is the kind of news that makes me want to punch the, "Just suck it up, everyone's going to get it eventually" crowd in the face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 496December 12, 2021 1:57 PM

Mouthwash Company Forced To Debunk Republican Senator's Conspiracies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497December 13, 2021 9:44 PM

Ron DeSantis Joins List Of Weirdos Demanding Fauci Be Prosecuted

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498December 14, 2021 5:38 PM

Link to next thread since this one is all glitched up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499December 15, 2021 12:14 AM

Thank you, ElderLez.

by Anonymousreply 500December 15, 2021 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!