Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chinese media blames Maine lobster shipment for starting the Covid pandemic

Oct. 2—A shipment of Maine lobster has been identified by Chinese media as a likely culprit for the start of the coronavirus pandemic, a claim a Maine official called "nonsensical."

A recent article in the Sina news portal, one of the most read on China's state-controlled internet, reported that in mid-November 2019, a batch of seafood from Maine was shipped to the "Wuhan South China Seafood Market," also known as the Huanan Seafood Market, where the virus was first reported in late 2019.

According to the translated Sina article, within a few weeks, employees in the market began experiencing "symptoms of pneumonia of unknown origin one after another."

Sina named "the Seashell Company" in York County as the original source of the lobster. The Seashell Company does not exist, but a map in the article identifies the company's headquarters as those of York-based lobster exporter Maine Coast Shellfish.

The article suggests that a shipment of 55 boxes of chilled lobster arrived at the Shanghai Pudong Airport on Nov. 11, 2019, and was then distributed to 26 customers across the country, including an unnamed vendor at the Huanan Seafood Market.

"I am afraid it was this batch of American lobsters that opened the Pandora's box of the epidemic," the article said.

SeafoodSource dot com, an industry news outlet, reported on the Chinese media reports Friday.

Tom Adams, president of Maine Coast Shellfish, said in an interview with the Portland Press Herald that he doesn't know why his company was singled out, but suggested it could be an attempt to "deflect some of the bad publicity" from China for being the first place the virus was reported.

"To think that it originated from Maine, in a lobster shipment from 2019 seems pretty absurd to me," he said, calling the claim a "grasp for straws."

"We've been actively shipping all this time with no more scrutiny than any other company," he said, noting the many shipments that come in and out of China each day.

Robert Long, spokesperson for the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, also isn't buying it.

"There is no scientific evidence to support these nonsensical claims," he said in an email.

Adams told news outlet SeafoodSource that "Public health organizations from around the world have stated with certainty that imported food is not the cause of COVID-19. Maine Coast has no information supporting this claim."

The U.S. CDC has said there is "no evidence" to suggest food is associated with spreading the virus.

Adams said the news has not had an impact on his business with China.

The Sina article also suggested that what it dubbed an "e-cigarette pneumonia" at York Hospital in July 2019 is further evidence of the virus' origin. The hospital is close to Maine Coast Shellfish.

The outlet claims that these cases of e-cigarette pneumonia were kept secret in the United States, though it also claims that the cases were reported by the Maine CDC and local media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2021 12:31 AM

Rotten fucking lying CHINKS.

They're disgusting.

We should nuke them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2021 11:57 PM

Yeah, when I think of respiratory disease, I think of animals with no lungs.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2021 11:59 PM

I’m on the case.

by Anonymousreply 3October 3, 2021 12:00 AM

Those crazy fuckers. At least they never stop trying to prove they're not pieces of shit. But for the record, the US is perfectly capable of drawing scrutiny for things actually done.

by Anonymousreply 4October 3, 2021 12:03 AM

Tom in Maine should cancel their contract with any Chinese clients immediately. Why the hell are we sending our good Maine lobsters to those assholes?

by Anonymousreply 5October 3, 2021 12:07 AM

Fucking asshole Chinese. It's no wonder the entire world hates them.

by Anonymousreply 6October 3, 2021 12:09 AM

I thought the Chinese are supposed to be smart. 20 months and this is the best they could come up with?

by Anonymousreply 7October 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Everyone knows coronavirus was incubated in Miss Gong Li's aging cooter.

by Anonymousreply 8October 3, 2021 12:16 AM

Most LL Bean stuff is made in China these days. Poor old Leon Leonwood must be spinning in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 9October 3, 2021 12:21 AM

Were the Chinese thinking when they came up with this? Are crustaceans even a host or vector for coronavirus?

by Anonymousreply 10October 3, 2021 12:23 AM

Didn't SARS originate from China back in 2002? They are smoke and mirrors full of shit that no one is buying.

by Anonymousreply 11October 3, 2021 12:38 AM

The Chinese government (NB, not the Chinese) is in the business to lie as much as possible

by Anonymousreply 12October 3, 2021 12:38 AM

Blame it on the Maine

by Anonymousreply 13October 3, 2021 12:40 AM

Can we blame that cunt, Susan Collins?

by Anonymousreply 14October 3, 2021 12:41 AM

She's very concerned, r14,

by Anonymousreply 15October 3, 2021 12:50 AM

Lobster ROFL.

by Anonymousreply 16October 3, 2021 12:53 AM

R1 is totally one of those people who you can tell was actually gleeful reading this news but feigning outrage, because in their mind it means an excuse to use racial slurs. But, you know, it shows what sort of character R1 has that they immediately used that word. You can criticise without saying things like that.

Because this story coming out from the Chinese media is a really pathetic and hilarious attempt at redirecting blame elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 17October 3, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote]I thought the Chinese are supposed to be smart. 20 months and this is the best they could come up with?

Well, they couldn't quite claim AMERICANS put the pee-pee in the Coke.

by Anonymousreply 18October 3, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote]Chinese media blames Maine lobster shipment for starting the Covid pandemic

Fuck you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 3, 2021 1:03 AM

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 20October 3, 2021 1:07 AM

Some of us have died for want of lobster sauce.

by Anonymousreply 21October 3, 2021 1:08 AM

I seriously doubt Chinese people believe the news a state-run news agency puts out. I fully believe that Americans take as gospel any xenophobic bullshit fed to them on Yahoo News.

by Anonymousreply 22October 3, 2021 1:08 AM

Of course it hade nothing to do with the sewage-like conditions of the local wet market where you can also pick up some monkey brains while you’re there.

by Anonymousreply 23October 3, 2021 1:12 AM

They are always on the offense over there. Even when they in the wrong.

by Anonymousreply 24October 3, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote]The Sina article also suggested that what it dubbed an "e-cigarette pneumonia" at York Hospital in July 2019 is further evidence of the virus' origin. The hospital is close to Maine Coast Shellfish.

[quote]The outlet claims that these cases of e-cigarette pneumonia were kept secret in the United States, though it also claims that the cases were reported by the Maine CDC and local media.

E-cigarette pneumonia is real and is referred to as EVALI which stands for [italic]e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury[/italic], the symptoms are similar to Covid symptoms and there was an outbreak in 2019. That is the [bold]only[/bold] thing about the article that's factual.

Any sane, rational person will see this propaganda for the quackery that it is but it's the kind of nonsense QAnon lunatics eat up, I'm curious to see if this gains traction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 3, 2021 1:14 AM

It came from their lab

When the Covid outbreak happened, China locked every person in Wuhan up in their homes. Anyone who stepped outside their house, got their asses beat by the cops/military. I watched a video of them scrubbing down the streets like you have never seen anything scrubbed down before

Then a few months later, everything was open, including the Wuhan market (selling all kinds of weird shit). They never would have reopened that market and allowed it to see all the weird shit it sells, if there was any chance that it came from that market

And that's ALL you need to know

Here's them disinfecting the cities

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 3, 2021 1:42 AM

Then around April 14th, everything was back open, as if nothing happened. Some of these markets NEVER closed

That's ALL you need to know

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 3, 2021 1:45 AM

r17 believe me, the Chinese don't give a fuck if they're called chinks. They'll just laugh and continue on their way, amused that Westerners are splitting hairs amongst themselves over bullshit issues that are totally irrelevant to the Chinese, as they get further and further to being the world's biggest superpower. All the issues that Westerners obsess over are a total joke to the Chinese and totally unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 28October 3, 2021 2:06 AM

But the post at R17 isn't so much about what the Chinese think of it. It's about what it says about the type of person who defaults so easily to using language like that.

by Anonymousreply 29October 3, 2021 2:10 AM

I'll be honest with you guys--I never even saw whatever R1 posted because I already had him blocked from another thread, apparently.

[quote] It's about what it says about the type of person who defaults so easily to using language like that.

I don't know why people bother to analyze DL posters. There are no gatekeepers on DL: trolls, losers, and retards can all come here and post whatever they want. Make DL a more enjoyable experience for yourselves by blocking liberally, and let these guys end up in a little isolation booth by themselves. Commenting on and confronting them is what they desperately crave--attention. They are ignored in real life, so they come here for attention.

by Anonymousreply 30October 3, 2021 2:41 AM

Fair point R30. I shall do so from now on.

by Anonymousreply 31October 3, 2021 2:51 AM

Please tell me the company owner sued for slander.

by Anonymousreply 32October 3, 2021 2:59 AM

I warned you about the Chinese. I warned you.

by Anonymousreply 33October 3, 2021 3:36 AM

This is extremely concerning.

by Anonymousreply 34October 3, 2021 4:24 AM

Sum Ting Wong!

by Anonymousreply 35October 3, 2021 4:34 AM

They deserve to be shunned by the entire planet, for what they did to us.

Just isolate them. Completely.

Fucking animals.

by Anonymousreply 36October 4, 2021 1:20 AM

I have R1 blocked too. He's a Harry and Meghan obsessive, racist

by Anonymousreply 37October 4, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]They deserve to be shunned by the entire planet, for what they did to us. Just isolate them. Cmpletely. Fucking animals.

We can't. They bought the bulk of our international debt. If they demanded payment it would collapse our economy and it would be worse than the depression of the 1930s. We would never be a world power again.

Thanks, the best Congress money can buy.

by Anonymousreply 38October 4, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote] If they demanded payment it would collapse our economy and it would be worse than the depression of the 1930s.

"They" can't "demand payment." They are not a bank.

They buy treasury bonds because they have to or else we won't keep buying cheap shit from them.

by Anonymousreply 39October 4, 2021 3:14 AM

These fucking assholes are also buying up TONS of real estate in the US, Canada and the UK and Europe, as a money laundering scheme.

by Anonymousreply 40October 4, 2021 3:15 AM

When your bullshit doesn't work, always use the Maine lobster story. Why are you late for work? "The Maine lobsters took forever to cross the street." OK, thanks. Why is the grocery store out of toilet paper? "Oh, the Maine lobsters. Sure, now I get it. Thanks."

by Anonymousreply 41October 4, 2021 5:42 AM

With Lab Leak you get Lobster.

by Anonymousreply 42October 4, 2021 5:51 AM

5G

by Anonymousreply 43October 4, 2021 5:55 AM

Nobody bullshits quite like the Chinese government (except maybe Russia).

by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2021 6:41 AM

They love a good stunt.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2021 6:49 AM

I would have thought that after the decades of practice they have had at lying that the CCP could have come up with something better than this patheticly lame excuse of an "explanation". What a joke. Lobsters my arse

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2021 8:35 AM

First they blamed Thailand's frozen shrimp and durian for spreading covid into their shithole country. Now it's the US. Too hilarious to be taken seriously now.

by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2021 10:36 AM

Wait. Are you saying one of the most powerful governments in the world is deliberately misinforming people with the media’s cooperation? The nerve! Thank god nothing like that could ever happen in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2021 12:56 PM

Don't you dare criticize LingLing/R48's government!

You're going to make him cry!!!!

by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2021 4:13 PM

China is a lying sociopath of a country. Let’s nuke it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2021 4:35 PM

Why bother nuking China? Its current trajectory isn't sustainable with an increasingly less compliant population and a pending economic collapse as a result of the One Child policy (which can't be propped up by immigration). They've bitten off way more than they can chew in an attempt to pole vault over the US. But in doing so they've basically been like Wile E Coyote....spending insane amounts of money for mininal returns.

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2021 5:40 PM

R23, if only Mrs. Peacock couldn've resisted her favorite delicacy on that rainy New England evening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2021 5:50 PM

There is report on CNN of male prisoners being raped in the reeducation camps but there is no article online. The rapes are ritual and have all kinds of strange torture.

Can someone post this man’s story in a new thread. It’s heartbreaking what they are doing in these camps. It’s so much worse than anybody new. This guy is a whistleblower. He needs support. I can’t find a link on CNN but it’s on live right now.

by Anonymousreply 53October 4, 2021 9:55 PM

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 54October 4, 2021 10:01 PM

Never heard it R54.

I'll try to search for it.

by Anonymousreply 55October 4, 2021 10:02 PM

Havent heard this R54, but cant say I'd be even slightly surprised. The CCP are a cancer on China and the world

by Anonymousreply 56October 4, 2021 11:18 PM

The Chinese also claim lobsters cause men to be born with small penises.

by Anonymousreply 57October 4, 2021 11:21 PM

We sma’t we real sma’t 🤡

by Anonymousreply 58October 4, 2021 11:23 PM

Whewwww....glad WE'RE off the hook!!

by Anonymousreply 59October 5, 2021 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!