Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

AYDS Before AIDS

This is a commercial for AYDS from the 1970's. I didn't know that product was available in the 1970's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2021 12:34 AM

Déjà vu

by Anonymousreply 1September 28, 2021 2:47 AM

My grandma would put a box full in her purse before she came to visit. That whole day I would feast on AYDS and Certs from half used rolls, covered in purse dirt.

by Anonymousreply 2September 28, 2021 2:55 AM

My mom had boxes of Ayds. They were individually wrapped. You were supposed to eat one before every meal with a cup of tea or glass of water. The theory was this would make you eat less.

by Anonymousreply 3September 28, 2021 3:53 AM

I used to beg my mother to give me Ayds.

by Anonymousreply 4September 28, 2021 3:56 AM

I used to beg my mother to give me Ayds.

by Anonymousreply 5September 28, 2021 3:56 AM

I remember they were going to stick with their name and try to ride out the storm of bad publicity from the virus thinking it would disappear.

Didn't work obviously. Did they change their name to something else?

by Anonymousreply 6September 30, 2021 9:42 PM

Exactly what was in the product that made people not as hungry?

by Anonymousreply 7September 30, 2021 9:45 PM

It was considered an appetite suppressant. Originally the active ingredient was benzocaine. Later the active ingredient was changed to phenylpropanolamine. I think the AIDS crisis in the 1980s basically killed off the brand, by the name alone.

by Anonymousreply 8September 30, 2021 9:50 PM

Amateurs. Corona beer has managed to weather the storm just fne. In fact, their sales went UP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 30, 2021 9:54 PM

I think someone posted this on DL some time ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 1, 2021 12:29 AM

My grandma had a box of AYDS sitting in the back of her refrigerator for years. It took AIDS, and not until 1983, for her to throw them out.

by Anonymousreply 11October 1, 2021 12:34 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!