Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think Diet Coke is actually bad for you? Really bad?

I guess aspartame more broadly, not just Diet Coke.

Obviously it's not good for you and is totally necessary, but is it as awful as some surmise? I mean, I see some people drink a lot and they don't seem to be worse off for it.

Has anyone who used to drink a lot quit and felt better?

by Anonymousreply 224October 17, 2021 6:05 PM

Yes, it's fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2021 9:13 PM

I used to drink 2-3 liters of Diet Coke per day for at least 20 years. I’m fine.

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2021 9:14 PM

God, I hope not. Aspartame has kept me spelt and trim for many years. Can't imagine what I'd do without it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2021 9:14 PM

That's SVELTE. Damn autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2021 9:15 PM

Have fun when your motor neurons break down because of all that toxic shit.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2021 9:17 PM

We all will die of something.

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote]Obviously it's not good for you and is totally necessary

Totally necessary for what?

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2021 9:25 PM

I meant "unnecessary."

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2021 9:31 PM

Diet Coke doesn’t lead to anyone staying thin.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2021 9:32 PM

r1 r5 r6

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2021 9:35 PM

Is Diet Coke addiction an eldergay thing?

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2021 9:54 PM

This was a great article. I NEED a fountain Diet Coke after work over ice from McDonald’s, it’s really hard for me to not get it. Yes, there are times I think the taste is weird, off or too sweet but I drink it anyways!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2021 10:25 PM

Ive been hooked since 1989 and I am alive.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2021 10:33 PM

Probably better than Lucky Strikes for keeping you slim (and for your health)

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2021 10:33 PM

It’s not as bad as Diet Cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2021 10:35 PM

[quote]Is Diet Coke addiction an eldergay thing?

Well, we had to drink something after they took TAB off the market.

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2021 10:36 PM

Is PepsiMax better or worse healthwise? I drink about 4 cans of it a day.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2021 10:38 PM

It isn't so much the aspartame, but the carbonation that's bad for you.

by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2021 10:42 PM

I thought it was the phosphoric acid that was bad - for your bones?

What's bad about carbonation?

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2021 10:46 PM

Short answer, yes. Aside from the obvious concerns of artificial sweeteners (like causing seizures), "diet" sodas are insanely sweet tasting nonetheless. You're more likely to consume pair it with other food that's not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2021 10:49 PM

I only drink plain soda water anymore. I LOVE the sharp carbonation, and it quenches my thirst. Mybsister tells me she doesn't understsnd how I drink it, because she thinks it tastes like Alka-Seltzer. To each their own.

Back when I DID have the occasional soft drink, I avoided diet versions because I can't stand the flavor. I loved a really strong ginger beer.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2021 10:55 PM

*my sister tells me

by Anonymousreply 22September 26, 2021 10:56 PM

I drank at least one a day for about 20 years. I stopped18 yrs ago, when I quit smoking, but now at the age of 62, I have lesions on my pancreas and I am monitored with MIs annually.

by Anonymousreply 23September 26, 2021 10:58 PM

Hasn’t killed Trump yet.

by Anonymousreply 24September 26, 2021 10:59 PM

MRIs

by Anonymousreply 25September 26, 2021 10:59 PM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2021 10:59 PM

For many months here in Massachusetts, Stop and Shop has been having 2 liter bottles of all Coca Cola products on sale every other week for $1.00 each if you purchase five bottles.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2021 11:03 PM

r26

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2021 11:03 PM

I would hate for any thread on DL not to become political, so let’s not forget one of Diet Coke’s most fanatic fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2021 11:06 PM

I quit and felt a LOT better.

It was actually harder than I expected, I switched to various hot and iced teas, plain, or iced coffee or mineral water. I do think there is an addictive component, I drank a lot of Diet Coke for years and I was surprised at the cravings, esp if I heard someone open a can at work, was Pavlovian.

My brain fog disappeared and I lost 5 lbs without changing anything else. There is a theory that sweeteners spike insulin for some. Insulin is the hormone that tells the body to store fat.

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2021 11:06 PM

If you don't watch your figure, nobody else will.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2021 11:07 PM

I’d like to know what the issue is with carbonation, too. I drink a lot of Club Soda.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2021 11:07 PM

When i was diagnosed with prediabetes five years ago, my doctor told me to give up anything with artificial sweetener in it--she said sweeteness just makes you crave more sweetness, so inevitably you have more sugar, if not in the Coke, then in other things. Which is why Trump satys so fat--he may be drinking Diet Coke, but he also has a chocolate milkshake every day from McDonalds.

This made sense to me, so I gave up artificial sweeteners as well as sugar and carbs. I've kept the weight off as a result--I'm several pants sizes and jacket sizes down.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2021 11:08 PM

Looked up carbonation.

From healthline.com:

No evidence suggests that carbonated or sparkling water is bad for you. It's not that harmful to dental health, and it seems to have no effect on bone health. Interestingly, a carbonated drink may even enhance digestion by improving swallowing ability and reducing constipation. Nov 3, 2019

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2021 11:10 PM

It left my body brutally disfigured.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2021 11:11 PM

The evidence that it’s “bad” for you is dubious at best.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2021 11:12 PM

Eatthis.com has an article on carbonation and the pull quotes make it sound godawful (bad for teeth, worsens IBS) but I didn’t read the article.

I’m too invested in drinking it to stop.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2021 11:12 PM

But R23 swears that Diet Coke put lesions on his pancreas!

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2021 11:14 PM

Coke can eat through content clogging drains. It's incredibly caustic, and can be used for cleaning your toilet bowl.

If you want to drink that, Cheers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2021 11:24 PM

I drink the regular Coke and I'm still keeping a trim figure!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2021 11:32 PM

r39

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2021 11:41 PM

I doubt it's any worse for you than coffee or tea and it's certainly better for you than Coke sweetened with high fructose corn syrup.

by Anonymousreply 42September 27, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]. I NEED a fountain Diet Coke after work over ice from McDonald’s,

I didn’t know McDonalds sold ice.

by Anonymousreply 43September 27, 2021 12:05 AM

Diet Coke alarmists used to get to me. But it’s one of my few vices and it’s been decades of pleasure.

Something has to kill me. If it’s Diet Coke, ok then.

by Anonymousreply 44September 27, 2021 12:37 AM

Better that than diet Faygo, r44.

by Anonymousreply 45September 27, 2021 12:47 AM

OMG the sad fatties on this thread

by Anonymousreply 46September 27, 2021 1:02 AM

And r46 appears to spread sunbeams and rainbows.

by Anonymousreply 47September 27, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote] Do you think Diet Coke is actually bad for you? Should I not drink gasoline or bleach?

by Anonymousreply 48September 27, 2021 1:13 AM

It keeps me slim and focused.

by Anonymousreply 49September 27, 2021 1:20 AM

One finds it rather zestless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 27, 2021 1:25 AM

I take the diet just skip the caffine. I get mine from my espresso in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 51September 27, 2021 1:35 AM

I've been a frustrated dieter for years. All I know is that the last time I made a concerted effort to diet I also cut out carbonated 'diet' beverages - and the weight fell right off.

by Anonymousreply 52September 27, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote] Coke can eat through content clogging drains. It's incredibly caustic, and can be used for cleaning your toilet bowl.

That isn't true. I've seen that info posted all over the internet. I've tried cleaning the toilet with soda. It did not work at all

I recently found 2 bottles of 2 liter soda that were expired (about 1.5 months expired) and poured them down my bathtub drain. My bathtub is still semi clogged with hair and there is no difference as to how fast the bathtub full of water drains after I dumped the soda down it compared to before

by Anonymousreply 53September 27, 2021 2:33 AM

[quote] All I know is that the last time I made a concerted effort to diet I also cut out carbonated 'diet' beverages - and the weight fell right off.

The chemicals in diet soda (including aspartame) actually make you hungrier. Which makes you buy more, which.....

by Anonymousreply 54September 27, 2021 2:36 AM

I miss Coke Zero. This new Coke with zero sugar sucks.

by Anonymousreply 55September 27, 2021 3:20 AM

I am here to say diet soda does not make me crave more sugar or anything so deadly and dire as that.

by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2021 3:22 AM

I drink a six pack every day and everyone is amazed how young I look. I’m in my 60s but look 35. It’s an elixir of youth!

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2021 3:38 AM

[quote]I quit and felt a LOT better.

I did as well, I don't know what it was about the diet Coke that made me feel bad but I quit and went to drinking water, tea, and sometimes a ginger ale here and there, and I feel much better. Lost a couple of pounds as well.

by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2021 3:40 AM

R55, Coke Zero was too sweet.

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2021 4:40 AM

Something wrong with Diet Pepsi, you bitches?

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2021 4:41 AM

I drink a can every day, around 10 am. It’s my second shot of caffeine after the morning coffee. It’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2021 5:04 AM

There used to be a Diet Coke with Splenda (sucralose). It tasted so much better than the aspartame version and I drank it exclusively for quite a while. Now there's a global sucralose shortage since 2020 (something to do with China and Covid) and it's just about impossible to find diet soda with sucralose. I may have to give it up. Nothing tastes as good as Diet Coke with Splenda.

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2021 11:43 PM

I drink Diet Pepsi - it doesn't have any of the problems Diet Coke has.

by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2021 11:49 PM

Diet Pepsi has the exact same artificial sweetener.

by Anonymousreply 64September 28, 2021 5:15 AM

I've been drinking Diet Coke exclusively for years.

At a friend's house recently, all he had was Diet Pepsi. Nearly spit out the first sip, all I could taste were chemicals.

by Anonymousreply 65September 28, 2021 11:18 AM

I’ve tried quitting Diet Coke a bunch of times over the years. I’ve made a few observations about why I craved it, why it was bad for me, and how I quit now that I’ve successfully gone without since January.

I replaced the urge for a Diet Coke with a quick tooth brushing, with emphasis on my gums/tongue when I brush. There’s something about the carbonation that made my gums and tongue feel satisfied I guess, and brushing them mid-morning/afternoon (on top of am/pm brushing) instead of drinking a soda helped. I have good teeth and healthy gums, so it’s hard to explain that urge. I also noticed that yeah, I really did crave and eat more junk after drinking Diet Coke. It was very noticeable. Finally, I’m not good at sipping water throughout the day, so instead I fill a large tumbler halfway with water and drink the whole thing immediately every hour or two.

by Anonymousreply 66September 28, 2021 11:31 AM

I don't think it's bad unless you guzzle it. I primarily drink water. I can only drink carbonated water though. I hate still. I'm pissing every 5 minutes if I have still water. It's bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 67September 28, 2021 11:46 AM

Although it tastes sweet, the fact that there's no sugar doesn't actually satiate your body--so you eat and eat more.

by Anonymousreply 68September 28, 2021 1:37 PM

Death by Diet Soda? A new study that links artificially sweetened beverages to premature death is prompting public angst.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 28, 2021 1:38 PM

A colleague would drink can after can of Diet Coke every day. Her teeth were brown and rotting because of it.

by Anonymousreply 70September 28, 2021 1:39 PM

You know MacDonald puts sugar in their food...yes! In the chicken...

by Anonymousreply 71September 28, 2021 1:51 PM

Coke used to be the go to formula for cleaning caked up battery posts.

by Anonymousreply 72September 28, 2021 2:17 PM

There is no reliable data or studies that show that diet drinks are bad for health. Just the personal trainers and yoga instructors and Facebook say it's bad.

by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2021 3:22 PM

We had a huge thread on a study that said those who drink diet soda die earlier, but there wasn't any data about why. It was the classic "correlation does not prove causation" situation with that study.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74September 28, 2021 3:56 PM

All of these studies are correlational. The fact is that most people drinking diet soda are already overweight. There’s no proof that the soda caused it or contributed to it.

by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2021 4:15 PM

There is evidence artificial sweeteners make people crave sugar and have a negative impact on insulin regulation.

by Anonymousreply 76September 28, 2021 5:06 PM

Healthline which gives references to studies seems to show that there is no correlation to artificial sweeteners and weight gain or insulin regulation. Most studies were observational, as in, fat people consume artificial sweeteners thus artificial sweeteners make people fat. This is not science.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 28, 2021 5:29 PM

The cool kids drink Coke Zero with a shot of lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 78September 28, 2021 5:33 PM

It is so fascinating that men generally avoid diet drinks because they are associated with women. Coke zero is the first diet soda that many men feel comfortable drinking.

by Anonymousreply 79September 28, 2021 5:54 PM

Men don't avoid diet drinks anymore. They haven't for years.

by Anonymousreply 80September 28, 2021 5:55 PM

I suppose a whole lot of people were forced to Diet Coke when Mr. Pibb 'bought the farm'.... Coca Cola changed his formula...now who likes 'PibbXtra'?

by Anonymousreply 81September 28, 2021 6:14 PM

Not true r80. Research still shows men think diet drinks are feminine. In fact, research shows men generally think eating healthy is unmanly

by Anonymousreply 82September 28, 2021 6:51 PM

It’s called Gender Contamination

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2021 6:52 PM

Can diet soda be manly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2021 6:54 PM

Nasty shit. Tastes like chemical crap. Used to work with a frau who had horrendous headaches and all sorts of health issues who drank two of those huge big gulps of diet coke a day. She'd arrive with one in the morning with her fast food breakfast and buy another at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 85September 28, 2021 6:58 PM

I used to drink at least the equivalent of a 2-liter bottle each day.

I feel much better, am more regular, don't have nearly as many stomach/digestion issues.

I don't think I've had a diet coke or other diet soda in at least 12 years after having a diet coke addiction fo 20+years.

by Anonymousreply 86September 28, 2021 7:04 PM

...and yes, I periodically still jones for a diet coke.

by Anonymousreply 87September 28, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote] Aside from the obvious concerns of artificial sweeteners (like causing seizures),

FALSE. Not it's NOT obvious. Your Frau science has no power here. Those mommy blog claims have never been proven.

by Anonymousreply 88September 28, 2021 7:18 PM

I used to love Coke Zero But stopped drinking diet sodas about theee years ago. Now, when i infrequently drink Coke Zero, it tastes horrible

by Anonymousreply 89September 28, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote]The cool kids drink Coke Zero with a shot of lemon juice.

It tastes like crap. If your choice of beverage is based on looking cool, you have bigger issues than what's in a can of diet soda.

by Anonymousreply 90September 28, 2021 7:20 PM

A study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has linked drinking one soda per day to increased levels of C-RP—a marker of inflammation—as well as higher cholesterol and insulin resistance.”

by Anonymousreply 91September 28, 2021 7:21 PM

No evidence that aspartame is harmful. It’s an urban myth.

Now HFCS on the other hand…

by Anonymousreply 92September 28, 2021 7:29 PM

"Not true [R80]. Research still shows men think diet drinks are feminine. In fact, research shows men generally think eating healthy is unmanly."

Not true.

by Anonymousreply 93September 28, 2021 7:30 PM

Aspartame (aka Rum$feld ) was shoved through the fda. The studies linking its side effects were quashed.

by Anonymousreply 94September 28, 2021 7:34 PM

Anecdotal story: I did the Atkins diet about 18 years ago when it was all the rage. I drank diet sodas all the time and lost a lot of weight, at least 65 pounds. The aspartame MIGHT cause some people to crave sweets who then eat crap with sugar. But the artificial sweeteners in Diet Coke are metabolically inert and aren’t causing weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 95September 28, 2021 7:39 PM

Used to work with a frau who had horrendous headaches and all sorts of health issues who drank two of those huge big gulps of diet coke a day. She'd arrive with one in the morning with her fast food breakfast and buy another at lunch.

Maybe the problem was her fast food breakfast and the rest of the shit she ate all day long, and not necessarily her two big gulps of Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 96September 28, 2021 7:41 PM

How anyone can think that aspartame tastes "sweet" is mind-boggling. It tastes like chemicals.

I'll drink a soda maybe twice a year but when I do it's Mexican coke in the glass bottle or original Dr. Pepper in the glass bottle.

by Anonymousreply 97September 28, 2021 7:44 PM

I used to have a huge diet coke addiction, and I also love tea, iced or hot with a package of sweetener, But at some point, I decided to switch to tea exclusively. I find that especially in the summer it quenches my thirst better plus tea has some vitamin C and antioxidants in it. after a while, I noticed I didn't crave the diet drinks anymore or anything really sweet. It didn't take very long to stop the craving either.

by Anonymousreply 98September 28, 2021 7:48 PM

R91 That was a Mexican study on Mexicans, no thanks, I want an American European or Japanese study thank you.

by Anonymousreply 99September 28, 2021 9:41 PM

Diet Coke is for fat people. It's terrible for you and it actually stimulates your appetite, making you hungrier. If you most have a Coke, have a Mexican one in a bottle. They use real sugar.

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2021 2:43 AM

I knew a girl who drank part of a Diet Coke once, She unscrewed the lid and poured some into a glass and took a sip and said, "This tastes terrible."

The women around her became very upset, shouting, "It's delicious!" "It's keeping me thin!" "I love my Diet Coke!"

They went into a frenzy, circling my friend, jumping up and down, reciting a bizarre chant faster and faster: Diet Coke! Morning and Evening! Bedtime and Wake Time! Keep Me Thin! Make Me Pretty! MAKE ME THIN!" Over and over!

Suddenly the floor collapsed and they all fell into the hole down to the floor below, one by one.

First my friend fell in. Then Fat Frieda fell in. Then Big Betty fell in. Then Enormous Ella fell in.

Frieda fell on my friend. Betty fell on Frieda. Ella fell on Betty.

My friend whispered, "Diet Coke tastes like shit."

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 101September 29, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote]How anyone can think that aspartame tastes "sweet" is mind-boggling. It tastes like chemicals.

With junky diets, a lot of people have lost the ability to perceive tastes. Aspartame tastes nothing like sugar. Chemicals indeed.

by Anonymousreply 102September 29, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote]I'll drink a soda maybe twice a year but when I do it's Mexican coke in the glass bottle or original Dr. Pepper in the glass bottle.

Um Mexican Coke is the same as American coke Dear. Has been that way for almost a decade.

"Mexican Coke Is Ditching Cane Sugar For High-Fructose Corn Syrup (Update: In Mexico)" - Circa 2013

by Anonymousreply 103September 29, 2021 2:58 AM

r33, she lost weight because you cut carbs, not because you stopped drinking diet soda.

by Anonymousreply 104September 29, 2021 2:59 AM

[quote]If you most have a Coke, have a Mexican one in a bottle. They use real sugar.

Not anymore. It's now High-Fructose Corn Syrup.

by Anonymousreply 105September 29, 2021 3:00 AM

Aspartame is the most studied chemical in history. It's been studied by country after country. There's no evidence it's dangerous. In order for it to actually affect your health you'd have to be drinking ten gallons of it a day. The diet coke kills you nuts are as crazy as anti-vaxxers. They read internet myths and not the actual studies done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 29, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote] it actually stimulates your appetite,

Frau Science.

No Dear, Diet coke didn't make you fats. It was all the carbs you have been eating. Stop with the pasta, rice, bread, chips, and cookies.

by Anonymousreply 107September 29, 2021 3:03 AM

Last mexican coke I had was pure cane sugar but I'm near the border

by Anonymousreply 108September 29, 2021 3:04 AM

People who think Mexican Coke is somehow better than American is like Anti-Vaxxers who think horse dewormer is better than a Covid vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 109September 29, 2021 3:05 AM

I start every morning with a giant Diet Mountain Dew with my Eggo's. Harmless, as far as I can tell.

by Anonymousreply 110September 29, 2021 3:07 AM

Mexican Vanilla actually dangerous. Mexican vanilla contains Coumarin, a substance that causes liver and kidney failure. But oh I am sure their Coke is just fine.🤡

by Anonymousreply 111September 29, 2021 3:08 AM

7-Up from Mexico is Meth infused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 29, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote]I start every morning with a giant Diet Mountain Dew with my Eggo's. Harmless, as far as I can tell.

That depends on how violent your other trailer park neighbors are Dear.

by Anonymousreply 113September 29, 2021 3:13 AM

Coke in Italy is still made with sugar. Switching the recipe there would be a scandal. I love that in Italian coffee bars they still serve Coke in small glass bottles.

[quote]didn't make you fats. It was all the carbs you have been eating. Stop with the pasta, rice, bread, chips, and cookies.

More Frau science.

by Anonymousreply 114September 29, 2021 3:19 AM

Lord there is a dedicated troll here.

by Anonymousreply 115September 29, 2021 3:20 AM

There are cultures that eat lots of carbs and don't have such an obesity problem. Maybe it has to do with the quantity and the quality and not carbs per se.

by Anonymousreply 116September 29, 2021 3:27 AM

[quote]Do you think Diet Coke is actually bad for you? Really bad?

Yes. That crap is poison.

by Anonymousreply 117September 29, 2021 6:09 AM

It's not bad for you. It's mostly water, 99.8% to be exact.

Regular Coke is 90% water for reference.

by Anonymousreply 118September 29, 2021 6:35 AM

Another problem is that these artificial sweeteners fuck up your gut bacteria necessary for good health.

by Anonymousreply 119September 29, 2021 6:49 AM

[quote] I NEED a fountain Diet Coke after work over ice from McDonald’s, it’s really hard for me to not get it.

This statement is like the most white trash thing I have ever heard. You literally go to McDonalds every day for a fountain drink?

by Anonymousreply 120September 29, 2021 6:58 AM

[quote]Another problem is that these artificial sweeteners fuck up your gut bacteria necessary for good health.

That has not been proven, there is no SCIENTIFIC proof to back up that claim. The only study done on that is with E. coli in a petri dish. The rest is pure conjecture without any real tests done on humans.

by Anonymousreply 121September 29, 2021 7:06 AM

[quote] It was all the carbs you have been eating. Stop with the pasta, rice, bread, chips, and cookies. - More Frau science.

Actually there is real science behind it. Carbs convert to sugar so too many carbs will put on the weight. No one is saying they are bad for you, in fact you need some in small portions. But for the Fat Fraus who binge on them all day and blame Diet Coke it's delusional to blame the weight gain on something that is 99.8% water.

by Anonymousreply 122September 29, 2021 7:11 AM

It's all about mint infused alkaline water or spa water.

by Anonymousreply 123September 29, 2021 7:28 AM

[quote]r121 That has not been proven, there is no SCIENTIFIC proof to back up that claim.

Are you a mask wearer? Where's the science that proves masks prevent you from catching or spreading a virus?

by Anonymousreply 124September 29, 2021 7:57 AM

r124 is mentally retarded.

by Anonymousreply 125September 29, 2021 8:50 AM

Like a lot of things - fine in moderation. One can a day is moderation. Twelve a day not so much

by Anonymousreply 126September 29, 2021 11:10 AM

Soda is bad for you. Stop drinking it

by Anonymousreply 127September 29, 2021 11:22 AM

Light consumption of Zevia might be the only soda consumption that isn’t toxic

by Anonymousreply 128September 29, 2021 11:22 AM

r127 posting after taking his 8th load today.

by Anonymousreply 129September 29, 2021 12:35 PM

I find it amusing that that Americans scream about carbs but billions of people in se Asia basically eat nothing but refined white rice as their diet and they don't seem to get fat or have widespread heart disease.

by Anonymousreply 130September 29, 2021 3:09 PM

Asians have a High diabetes rate

by Anonymousreply 131September 29, 2021 3:11 PM

R130 portion control. And they're active.

I eat a lot of carbs, but I also do a lot of exercise. If I sat on my arse all the time I'd be huge

by Anonymousreply 132September 29, 2021 3:23 PM

Shit may not make you obese, but in the long run it’ll still somewhat damage the firmness and elasticity of your skin and the integrity of your teeth—just the same as coffee or sweet tea. Caffeine (even trace amounts, before you all dogpile) inhibits collagen production, and glucose destroys it.

So you diet soda drinkers aren’t necessarily fat whores, but you defo look like the cryptkeeper. Or at least, you don’t look younger than your age or than the rest of us.

by Anonymousreply 133September 29, 2021 3:46 PM

R123 I’m getting interested in electrolyte powders for water, to boost my nutrient intake. Any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 134September 29, 2021 3:47 PM

Dark sodas/colas contain a high level of phosphorus which is bad for the kidneys. We can’t give our dialysis/chronic kidney disease patients Cokes or Pepsis, but they can get small amounts of 7up, Sprite, ginger ale, etc. Also, caffeine can dehydrate you.

by Anonymousreply 135September 29, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote]Caffeine (even trace amounts, before you all dogpile) inhibits collagen production,

Oh my. I just looked that up (legit sources) and it's true.

No more coffee for me.

by Anonymousreply 136September 29, 2021 5:55 PM

Which is worse for you, the aspartame in Diet Coke or the high fructose corn syrup in Coca Cola Classic?

by Anonymousreply 137September 29, 2021 7:39 PM

Aspartame is poison, but keep convincing yourselves that it’s not.

Saccharine was less insidious.

by Anonymousreply 138September 29, 2021 7:40 PM

[quote]I’m getting interested in electrolyte powders for water, to boost my nutrient intake. Any recommendations?

You don't need to drink "electrolyte powders". Try eating some fruits and vegetables instead.

by Anonymousreply 139September 29, 2021 11:00 PM

Don’t chemicals or toxins leach from the can?

by Anonymousreply 140September 29, 2021 11:07 PM

[quote]just the same as coffee or sweet tea. Caffeine (even trace amounts, before you all dogpile) inhibits collagen production, and glucose destroys it.So you diet soda drinkers aren’t necessarily fat whores, but you defo look like the cryptkeeper. Or at least, you don’t look younger than your age or than the rest of us

There is more caffeine in a cup of coffee than in a can of Diet Coke. 7 in 10 Americans drink coffee every day so blame Starbucks of Folgers for your crypt keeper skin not Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 141September 29, 2021 11:20 PM

You can't spell "cancer" without "can"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 29, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]Aspartame is poison, but keep convincing yourselves that it’s not.

Frau Science. IT'S NEVER BEEN PROVEN. Stop repeating stupid shit you learned in the 1980's from some People Magazine. It's one of the most studied substance on the planet, by numerous countries and numerous groups of scientist. They still have nothing after all these years that proves it's bad for you.

But go ahead and keep living in a bubble of Mommy Blogs and random faux experts on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 143September 29, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]You can't spell "cancer" without "can"!

I dont drink diet coke out of a can, so guess I am good. Comes in bottles Dear. Also, pretty much everything from beer to whisky to bottled water are stored in large aluminum tanks at the bottling plant before it hits the shelves you dip shit.

by Anonymousreply 144September 29, 2021 11:28 PM

[quote]Dark sodas/colas contain a high level of phosphorus which is bad for the kidneys. We can’t give our dialysis/chronic kidney disease patients

People on dialysis are on their last leg, you are setting up a false comparison. You know what else people in the same boat can't have? Oranges, Basins, Bananas, Kiwis, Nectarines, Cantaloupe and Honeydew, Potatoes, Avocados, Cooked Spinach, Asparagus.

by Anonymousreply 145September 29, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote]I find it amusing that that Americans scream about carbs but billions of people in se Asia basically eat nothing but refined white rice as their diet

They also eat it in small portions with fish and wild vermin. Any living thing they can find. Not sure that's the best example of a good diet.

by Anonymousreply 146September 29, 2021 11:40 PM

Slug a Diet Coke and a big Mac, r146

by Anonymousreply 147September 30, 2021 1:38 AM

If you don't want to go cold turkey, R136

"When caffeine is consumed in moderation, there is little adverse effect to the skin," confirms Dr Nassif. (Phew!) Coffee beans are also phytonutrient rich (as in, they contain nutrients found in plants), and packed with antioxidants that fight free radical damage. "By consuming coffee, you are orally taking on these phytonutrients," confirms Dr Barnish. "They are then used all over the body, not just the skin." Borg echoes these not-to-be-ignored benefits, listing skin regenerating nutrients such as potassium, magnesium and Vitamin B2… The general rule seems to be between 2-4 cups daily, but Borg stresses that this number depends on your sensitivity to caffeine. "I would personally recommend 1-3 cups daily.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 30, 2021 2:05 AM

R148 Thanks for that. With "1-3 cups daily", I'm OK.

by Anonymousreply 149September 30, 2021 3:13 AM

Why not drink sparkling water if you enjoy the carbonation? For caffeine stick to tea and coffee. No need for aspartame

by Anonymousreply 150September 30, 2021 3:18 AM

Was Christina Onassis addicted to Coca Cola or Diet Coke? I forget.

When I visit the Netherlands I’m apparently never supposed to ask for a Coke, to always say “cola,” because they’ll think you mean cocaine. What a bunch of dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 151September 30, 2021 3:27 AM

The Danes are big drug and alcohol addicts R151. Mostly alcohol but it's one of their deep dark secrets they don't like to talk about when filling out that survey as the happiest country on earth.

by Anonymousreply 152September 30, 2021 3:39 AM

R151, Christina drank only original Coca Cola and much of it daily. She had it shipped to her from the USA, especially when she lived with that husband in Russia.

Carrie Fisher drank copious amounts of original Coca Cola each day and as soon as it began to get warm she'd open a new can.

by Anonymousreply 153September 30, 2021 6:11 AM

-“‘.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 30, 2021 6:14 AM

Swatchdogs and Diet-cokeheads!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 30, 2021 9:49 AM

I don't think there's much evidence for it being 'bad' for you but if you're using it to lose weight, there's no evidence that it works for that. Likely because the body isn't fooled.

by Anonymousreply 156September 30, 2021 12:50 PM

There’s plenty of evidence that it’s bad for you. Like many things we consume. It’s the moderation in which one consumes these bad ingredients that is the factor in these health related issues.

Companies like Monsanto spend huge amounts of money to cover up the facts. Apparently, they employ shills to shit all over any thread on social media to push their agenda, too.

by Anonymousreply 157September 30, 2021 4:39 PM

I'm savoring a delicious Diet Dr. Pepper as we speak.

by Anonymousreply 158September 30, 2021 4:59 PM

People enjoy the Mexican coke because it tastes like the original we remember from childhood. The sharp fizz as it hits your tongue and the glass bottle. It's different from the stuff bottled here. Someone one mentioned kosher coke too as being like the original.

by Anonymousreply 159September 30, 2021 5:06 PM

Mexican coca cola is not made with HFCS. Cane sugar is used hence the superior flavor as well as the glass bottle.

by Anonymousreply 160September 30, 2021 5:09 PM

Mexican Coke is the only acceptable coke to drink. It's also next level if you order in Spanish. Puendo uno coke cola mexicaa en me bendejo pequina.

by Anonymousreply 161October 1, 2021 8:02 AM

If you wouldn’t give it to your pets to drink you probably shouldn’t drink it either.

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2021 8:05 AM

[quote]There’s plenty of evidence that it’s bad for you.

No there is not. Stop with the assumptions. Evil Corp did not cover up anything. It's been studied hundreds of times from different labs from different countries by different scientist around the world. For 3 decades!.

by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2021 8:19 AM

[quote]If you wouldn’t give it to your pets to drink you probably shouldn’t drink it either.

Dogs drink from the toilet and eat their own vomit. Sure you want to go with that analogy of discerning k-9s?

by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2021 8:22 AM

You Mexican Coke Snobs are Sheeple. Placebo effect proven by blind taste tests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2021 8:26 AM

R165 I've never had Mexican Coke but I do know Italian Coke and the taste difference is definitely there. The Italian version is less sweet and less carbonated.

by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2021 3:47 PM

R166 Mexican coke has that sharp sensation when it hits your tongue at the first sip that almost makes your eyes water. The biggest difference in modern soda and the one from my childhood is the fizz factor. They used to be much more bubbly.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2021 4:03 PM

Appears to be some odd troll with a vested interest in denigrating Mexican coca cola. Pure racism?Everyone I know here drinks the superior Mexican cola. You can bitch and claim blind taste tests (I could identify them instantly blindfolded). Why do you think we are seeing more cane sugar blends on shelves? People like the taste better and are getting more knowledgeable about HFCS.

So come on, start bashing kosher coke.

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2021 4:34 PM

I'm having a flashback about diet soda I had to share. I once had a management job for a medical clinic in a very red state. My secretary was named Angel. She had a mullet and wore those big gradient-tinted sunglasses. Basically she dressed and groomed as if it were 20 years earlier.

She was a lesbian and a madame to some girls who worked the truck stops and hotels along the interstate. Her uncle was the county sheriff so nobody was getting in trouble and everybody was getting paid.

She had a gay husband and they had 2 kids. They each had side pieces.

To keep her weight down, most days at lunch she would have only coleslaw and Diet Pepsi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169October 1, 2021 4:34 PM

[quote]Is Diet Coke addiction an eldergay thing?

It's like a white trash mother thing.

by Anonymousreply 170October 1, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote]So come on, start bashing kosher coke.

I'm going to bash the pesach desserts. I'm not Jewish, but I sometimes like to get some things when it's passover time. There are tons of displays where I live (Brooklyn). I like dark chocolate dipped macaroons. OMG, too fucking sweet!

by Anonymousreply 171October 1, 2021 5:50 PM

Does anyone remember getting free gumballs in the mail in the early 1980s? It's when NutraSweet was new and they were trying to position it as a thing.

For the inevitable poster who will say I'm making this up and demands "link??!!", here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172October 1, 2021 7:55 PM

I really like Pepsi Mango.

by Anonymousreply 173October 8, 2021 11:36 PM

What is Pepsi’s masculine diet drink called?

by Anonymousreply 174October 9, 2021 3:16 PM

Thankfully I never liked carbonated beverages that much. I drink a few diet sodas here and there.

by Anonymousreply 175October 9, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote] Do you think Diet Coke is actually bad for you? Really bad?

Also, I really, really need to know....is water, like, really REALLY wet?

by Anonymousreply 176October 9, 2021 3:29 PM

Study that says Diet Coke is indeed bad for you.

Is the 'diet' in diet drinks a 'false promise?'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177October 12, 2021 7:45 PM

From study: Artificial sweeteners could be priming the brains to crave high-calorie foods, thereby disadvantaging people who may benefit most from a lower-calorie diet.

by Anonymousreply 178October 12, 2021 7:47 PM

It really isn't good for you. Any soda is not good for you. Plus, it increases your appetite. Just drink water!

by Anonymousreply 179October 12, 2021 7:57 PM

It's fucking poison. Especially if you drink it constantly. Once in a great while, probably not. But there are studies linking diet and regulation brown colas to a host of potential issues.

by Anonymousreply 180October 12, 2021 8:10 PM

I love it and I will die one day, just as you will die one day. Stop trying to scare people you fucking scolds.

by Anonymousreply 181October 12, 2021 10:05 PM

R181 That's what they said about cigarettes, once.

Enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 182October 12, 2021 10:10 PM

R131 Stop speaking when you don't know what you're saying. Asian countries are way down on the list for diabetes. You do know there's something called Google that can make you sound stupid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183October 12, 2021 10:16 PM

Yes I will and I do and ya gotta die of something. What will you die of? Great health?

by Anonymousreply 184October 12, 2021 10:41 PM

I was speaking to R182.

by Anonymousreply 185October 12, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote]Why do you think we are seeing more cane sugar blends on shelves?

It's called a FAD Rose.

by Anonymousreply 186October 13, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote]Asian countries are way down on the list for diabetes.

Yeah, but did you know that before WW2, their diet has such a low amount of meat that after it ended and it became plentiful the average height gain on kids was something like 6 inches? Even with all the fish they consume, it was not enough or the right kind and it literally stunted their growth.

by Anonymousreply 187October 13, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]From study: Artificial sweeteners could be priming the brains to crave high-calorie foods, thereby disadvantaging people who may benefit most from a lower-calorie diet.

More BS. Not proven, look at the wording "could be" is not the same as has been proven fact. I could be rich for every time someone said Diet Coke makes you fat.

by Anonymousreply 188October 13, 2021 12:11 AM

What the hell is Kosher Coke? Pray you don't get fat after eating a whole loaf of Challah and washing down with a Diet Coke?

by Anonymousreply 189October 13, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote] Stop speaking when you don't know what you're saying. Asian countries are way down on the list for diabetes. You do know there's something called Google that can make you sound stupid.

I used the link you provided and the US has 10.8% incidence of diabetes. All these Asian countries on YOUR list have higher rates:

Pakistan (19.9%), Egypt (17.2%); Malaysia (16.7%); UAE (16.3%); Saudi Arabia (15.8%); Bahrain & Qatar (15.6%); Syria (13.5%); Brunei (13.3%); Jordan (12.7%); Seychelles (12.3%); Kuwait (12.2%); Lebanon (11.2%); Turkey (11.1%).

There are no countries in Europe above the US though there are some in Africa and some in Oceania (not Australia or New Zealand though)

So who is it that's stupid?

by Anonymousreply 190October 13, 2021 12:43 AM

* Slight correction: Part of Turkey is in Europe, so I guess you could say one European country is a bit higher than the US, and I didn't mention that there are some in Latin America that are higher, not that it's relevant.

by Anonymousreply 191October 13, 2021 12:45 AM

Huge correction: Egypt's in Africa, not Asia - sorry about that one

by Anonymousreply 192October 13, 2021 12:48 AM

R190 You are a stupid retard, asian countries are China, Japan, Philippines etc. You must be an ignorant Brit who calls Indians Asians. So the asian countries do not have high rates of diabetes, you twat.

by Anonymousreply 193October 13, 2021 12:53 AM

The only asian country that is high is Malaysia, one fucking country, the rest are middle eastern, are you autistic?

by Anonymousreply 194October 13, 2021 12:57 AM

Pakistan is not in Asia? What continent do you think it's in?

by Anonymousreply 195October 13, 2021 1:03 AM

Pakistan is south asia, jesus Christ, nothing but imbeciles.

by Anonymousreply 196October 13, 2021 1:10 AM

I've drank Diet Coke daily since it came out in the 80's thinking it the lesser evil of the two versions. I stopped recently and went through very bad withdrawals. Extreme headaches and body aches for an entire week. Almost too much pain to endure w'o prescription painkillers. I switched to Diet Sprite which at least has no caffeine. Drinking water, too.

by Anonymousreply 197October 13, 2021 1:34 AM

r190. HAHAHAHA. You just listed almost all the Middle Eastern countries. And a few South & SE Asian ones. You also know what they have in common. All the majority Islamic countries. = Lots of fat, obese and/or diabetic people.

If we go by continents (Africa, Asia, Europe, America, etc.), one can dump such diverse and distinctively different ethnic (other than white and black - black ppl, not just dark skin) countries all into just... Asia (or Asia Pacific). Sure they can be considered being in Asia on certain geopolitical contexts (but often with specific terms, 'West Asia - Middle East, Central Asia, South Asia - India, etc., Southeast Asia, East Asia, etc.').

But in normal contexts (other than Brits), Asians usually mean East and SE ones: Asian people tend to be slimmer, focused on education, etc. Super different looking from Western, Caucasian and all the adjacent people (including Middle Easterners and Indians and Turkic ppl)

by Anonymousreply 198October 13, 2021 3:30 AM

I am a sugar addict and Diet Coke feeds that. I have gone through stretches of drinking far too much and then quitting. It takes me about 3 weeks off sugar and diet coke to not crave it constantly. Even when I am not drinking it, I think about it! Diet Coke is the only soda I drink. I like carbonated water too but it makes me bloated and so I don't drink it that often. I love sugar free energy drinks too...easy to get addicted to those quickly - fake sugar and caffeine!

by Anonymousreply 199October 13, 2021 3:37 AM

Diabetes is rising in Asian countries but because of the introduction of the western diet.

In fact, the richer Asians are the ones who can afford meats and good desserts/breads, and they are the ones more likely to get diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 200October 13, 2021 1:45 PM

Do you think eating poop is actually bad for you? Really bad?

by Anonymousreply 201October 13, 2021 1:48 PM

Yes, I developed an autoimmune disorder and no longer drink it as it causes inflammation. Get off of it as soon as you can. Start by drinking water more and wean yourself off the caffeine addiction using coffee or something less terrible for you.

by Anonymousreply 202October 13, 2021 1:54 PM

Coffee is really good - for most people. Maybe if you have a very dodgy heart it isn't, because of the caffeine, but it's wonderful for your liver. Something like 30% of people have "fatty liver" which can eventually cause scarring/cirrhosis, even if you don't drink - but coffee is very healing for that condition, the more the better - 3, 4, 5, 6 cups a day. I think the decaf works just as well - something in the coffee - catechins? Oh I can't remember.

And tea, especially green tea, is healthy too, unless the tannins bother your stomach. Green tea has less of the bad stuff and more of the good stuff, epigallic something - it may prevent cancer.

Drink healthy folks! Only takes a little effort to switch off of stupid chemical-laden soda pop.

by Anonymousreply 203October 13, 2021 2:47 PM

EGCG in green tea (what I was trying to remember - some people take it as a pill but you get it from drinking the tea)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 13, 2021 2:51 PM

Coffee's benefits for the liver - unfortunately, this article says decaf isn't as good - but I don't think it's bad for you, like soda. I'll leave this here and shut up, and go find somebody else to scold...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205October 13, 2021 2:54 PM

The US has tons of fatties with diabetes that hasn't been diagnosed, so that list is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 206October 14, 2021 6:06 AM

I tasted diet coke once when I like 13, that was 30 years ago. Burned my throat. Never again since that time.

by Anonymousreply 207October 14, 2021 6:07 AM

It was when it first came out and everyone was excited about it.

by Anonymousreply 208October 14, 2021 6:08 AM

I dont know about this debate about Asians having good diets. All i know is my friend from the Philippines tells me his favorite soup is actually made from a bowl of fat.

by Anonymousreply 209October 14, 2021 10:44 AM

[quote]I tasted diet coke once when I like 13, that was 30 years ago. Burned my throat. Never again since that time.

Burned your throat? It's weaker than regular soda. Sure your parents didn't have it mixed heavy pour of Whiskey Dear?

by Anonymousreply 210October 14, 2021 10:46 AM

r209 Look at Asian food-related threads and read what people think about... Filipino food...

by Anonymousreply 211October 14, 2021 11:54 AM

Next time you bitches challenge me about any unhealthy food I eat I will reference this thread. I can't believe you old hoes are still drinking diet coke

by Anonymousreply 212October 14, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote]Burned your throat? It's weaker than regular soda. Sure your parents didn't have it mixed heavy pour of Whiskey Dear?

Well, there was definitely no short supply of JD in the pantry, I'll say that.

by Anonymousreply 213October 14, 2021 4:14 PM

Filipinos are considered Asian Rose.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214October 15, 2021 11:17 PM

R214 You had me at “ Filipinos are Orientals…”

by Anonymousreply 215October 15, 2021 11:28 PM

I love that article because nothing pisses Asians off more than calling them Orientals. Like furniture.

by Anonymousreply 216October 15, 2021 11:42 PM

What an odd way to get your enjoyment, R216.

"I love that article because nothing pisses gays off more than calling them homos." - sounds fun, doesn't it?

by Anonymousreply 217October 16, 2021 8:22 PM

I drank diet soda for years. I stopped 3 years ago. I didn't notice a change except I gained weight as I would drink diet soda instead of eating crap. I eventually had to cut back on carbs to take the weight off and keep it off. The point is, I didn't find anything beneficial after stopping. I was waiting to feel more energetic, great skin, etc, but nothing. At least I save money by not buying it I guess.

by Anonymousreply 218October 16, 2021 8:41 PM

[quote]Filipinos are considered Asian Rose.

As opposed to Tokyo Rose?

by Anonymousreply 219October 16, 2021 9:40 PM

Is club soda okay to drink? I’ve seen conflicting information, but sometimes flat water gets boring and I’ll drink carbonated.

by Anonymousreply 220October 17, 2021 6:04 AM

Factory made Club soda has added chemical shit in it. Get a soda maker and make your own.

by Anonymousreply 221October 17, 2021 6:10 AM

[quote]"I love that article because nothing pisses gays off more than calling them homos." - sounds fun, doesn't it?

I dont have a problem with that R217

by Anonymousreply 222October 17, 2021 9:54 AM

[quote]Is club soda okay to drink? I’ve seen conflicting information, but sometimes flat water gets boring and I’ll drink carbonated.

OMFG stop with the hand wringing over water. No one makes it off this planet alive. No matter how careful you are about what you put in your body, you are going to die some day. You could be hit by a bus tomorrow. Drink all the fizzy stuff you want, not going to kill you.

by Anonymousreply 223October 17, 2021 10:06 AM

For some reason, Diet Coke is currently trending on Twitter. No idea why.

by Anonymousreply 224October 17, 2021 6:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!