Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The New Kindle Paperwhite

Omg I’m so excited! Already pre-ordered. It’s got the warm light feature of the Kindle Oasis but without the awkward width.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2022 5:39 PM

The old Kindles are dirt cheap now for anyone who wants one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 9, 2021 1:51 PM

So glad I know how to read books.

by Anonymousreply 2October 9, 2021 2:00 PM

I hate swiping to turn the page. I wanted an Oasis to have the physical button, but then I realized I HAVEN'T READ A FUCKING BOOK IN THREE YEARS, SO WHY BOTHER!!!

by Anonymousreply 3October 9, 2021 2:03 PM

I hate the design of the Oasis.

by Anonymousreply 4October 9, 2021 2:11 PM

I also hate the new Kindle software upgrade. Bring back the back button!

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2021 2:11 PM

[QUOTE] I wanted an Oasis to have the physical button, but then I realized I HAVEN'T READ A FUCKING BOOK IN THREE YEARS, SO WHY BOTHER!!!

Never too late to get back on that horse, R3. Buying a new Kindle actually helps spur a reading frenzy for me.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2021 4:39 PM

Are you the same person who's excited about their latest pair of luxury sunglasses etc? If yes, do they pay you for the barely concealed advertisement?

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2021 8:54 PM

No I’m not, R7. The most expensive pair of sunglasses I own are only $150:

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2021 11:12 PM

I still have my first generation kindle with the keyboard. I read everything on it, books, scripts, pdf documents, and more. I couldn't understand how people could read on tablets or worse, on their phones. The third generation was a worthy upgrade due to the faster refresh rate. Also didn't have to bother with an external lamp. I never even noticed the lag but it was a huge game changer. These changes seem comparatively minor but I would recommend it for sure for someone who never owned an ereader. The amount of free books you can download online (even legally) makes it a no brainer purchase.

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2021 11:19 PM

And yes I still kept my old ereader for sentimal reasons.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2021 11:22 PM

I hate that it doesn’t have more width on either side of the screen. It’s harder to hold it that way, at least in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2021 11:28 PM

You haven’t used it yet, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2021 11:47 PM

Why is it called Paperwhite if the screen is yellow?

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2021 11:49 PM

The yellow light is optional. You can adjust the light temperature setting and make the page white if you want, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2021 11:55 PM

Get a case, r11.

by Anonymousreply 15October 10, 2021 12:03 AM

I read more with my kindle too. Its sad, nobody reads books anymore. The internet is straight garbage.

by Anonymousreply 16October 10, 2021 12:11 AM

Books are so old-fashioned. No pictures! No color and movement!

They just sit there. They're as good as dead.

by Anonymousreply 17October 10, 2021 12:34 AM

I was going to buy one of those Kindle readers but decided to buy an 8" Amazon Fire Tablet a few months back. I was disappointed with its lack of app availability. Only app source was Amazon. So I found out how to hack it and turn it into a full android tablet so I could install Google Play on it. Everything's copacetic now.

by Anonymousreply 18October 10, 2021 12:42 AM

I don't understand people who diss the Kindle over real books.

The Kindle allows you to read REAL books digitally. So you're still reading, you just don't have the clutter that actual books bring. And, while I used to enjoy going to bookstores in real life, it's just more convenient as I can find a book that looks interesting, download a sample and if I like it, I purchase the book. I read FAR more now with my kindle than I did with real books as they are more accessible now.

So stop with your bs r2. Think of the Kindle as a giant book cover that contains all the books you can ever hope to read.

by Anonymousreply 19October 10, 2021 12:43 AM

R19, you're clueless and needlessly defensive. You also sound like a fat Frau.

You just go ahead and read however you want, and I'm sure you'll be the first in your group home to buy the new wet-wired one when it comes out. And still you won't get it.

So stop with your cunting puddle-splashing, R19. And relieve yourself of the attempt with the "Think of the Kindle" presumption to instruct. We all know what Kindle is. What you don't know is how to read DL posts, lump.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2021 1:06 AM

I have an older Paperwhite and I love it, especially for travel. You can take hundreds of books with you in one very portable device.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2021 1:14 AM

I just wish it came with rhe magical fragrance of the paper white flower, overpowering, intoxicating!

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2021 1:17 AM

Kindles and other e-book readers don't really come with pictures, colour or movement, r17. They're really just for reading.

by Anonymousreply 23October 10, 2021 11:11 AM

Grinning at r17 and r23.

by Anonymousreply 24October 10, 2021 11:19 AM

r20 you're really fun. What an asshole. Over-react much?

r5 I found this thread looking for comments on the TERRIBLE software change. Man, does it suck. Is there [italic]any[/italic] way to get to your first page of your library after swiping ahead a few pages? I can only seem to do it page by page.

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2022 4:10 PM

I had two Kindles. The first one got stolen when I was mugged in Cambodia. The second's screen broke. I have since decided that buying paper books or reading ebooks on my laptop/PC/tablet is better value.

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2022 4:13 PM

I love my Kindle for its ability to enlarge the type, but reading anything besides fiction on it is a pain in the ass.

by Anonymousreply 27January 3, 2022 4:21 PM

The new one has no cellular capability.

by Anonymousreply 28January 3, 2022 5:04 PM

I'd prefer a Kindle for reading fiction. You can borrow ebooks from libraries, as well as getting free books from Amazon.

However, I already have an iPad and phone, so carrying around another device would be a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 29January 3, 2022 5:11 PM

Kindles are very small and light, r29.

by Anonymousreply 30January 3, 2022 5:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!