Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Pose' creator planned to thank Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera in his winner's speech

[quote]“The reason I get to stand up here as an openly queer Afro-Latin person is because of my ancestors,” Canals would have said if he had made it up on stage at the Emmys. In 1969 the fight for trans and queer liberation reached a fever pitch, built on the backs of the women, who happened to be trans and lesbian. Who happened to be Black and Latina. And so I want to honour Marsha P Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, Miss Major, and Stormé DeLarverie. And that work continues today with Mj Rodgriguez, Dominique Jackson, Indya Moore, Hailie Sahar, Angelica Ross, Our Lady J and Janet Mock.”

Xe sounds exhausting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2021 3:27 PM

Why award a show about these queens, when we can give yet another statue to a show about the OG queen over in England?

It's not like she gets enough recognition these days. Her face is only on some coins and bills.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 6:41 PM

Dumb fuck. Glad he didn't win so he could continue perpetrating this stupid lie.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 6:41 PM

YAS KWEEN! I’d like to thank a pair or druggies and a thief who used to mug and rob gay men.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 6:42 PM

*of

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 6:42 PM

And then you look for pictures of the Stonewall riots and you find a lot of gay white faces

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 6:43 PM

Apparently no gays or lesbians whatsoever were at Stonewall.

Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 6:43 PM

Only gay white faces, really. Maybe one black dude. Okay, two.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 6:44 PM

Cable shows trump history books.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 6:45 PM

Feel free to let him know the truth:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 6:46 PM

The protests and marches that happened after Stonewall had plenty of non-white faces. For some reason the anti-trans trolls always want to talk about the night of the riot itself and then dismiss literally EVERYTHING that came afterwards, because the photos of those later protests, events and marches show it wasn't all white men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 6:47 PM

At least he mentioned Storme, which is more than most of them do.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 6:50 PM

R10 Of course there were a lot of non white faces, but listening to some trans activist it seems there was no gays or no lesbians and specially no whites when they were the big majority

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 6:51 PM

r10, you know that's not what people like Canals are talking about.

Although, if you really want to go there, watch a movie like Gay U.S.A. (1977), which shows footage from Pride parades across America in the mid-70s; while it was definitely diverse, it was predominately white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 6:51 PM

Canals mentioned women, lesbians, trans, blacks and Latinas, and you trolls are saying it was a "lie" and it was really all "gay white faces."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

Should have put more effort into the final season and less effort in an acceptance speech.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

Stonewall veterans float 12 years ago in 2009 with a trans veteran of the riot. I'm sure you'll say it's just propaganda and a lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 6:55 PM

r14, that picture is not from Stonewall. It's from the 1966 Compton's Cafeteria protest:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 6:56 PM

Let's just ignore the women and non-whites in this "predominantly gay white" movement because there weren't many of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 6:56 PM

I know r17! That's my whole fucking point! That you guys talk non-stop about the first night of Stonewall and say that the handful of photos we have of that night are all gay white men, therefore, they are the people who were responsible for the movement.

They're not. Plenty of events, protests, riots, and marches before and after Stonewall had plenty of women, lesbians, trans, blacks and Latinas involved, just like Canals said, but you guys always ignore those on purpose because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 6:59 PM

It's not about ignoring the women and non-whites, it's pushing back against the TRA's assertion that it was ONLY trans POC responsible for Stonewall and gay rights.

Bayard Rustin did FAR more for gay rights than Malcolm Johnson ever did, yet Rustin barely gets mentioned these days.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 7:00 PM

When will we finally honor the vital role of trans women of color in the American Revolution? That was no “stamp tax” that riled them up. It was a “tramp tax” and it was especially burdensome on sex workers, some of whom were at the docks for the Boston Tea Party. They spilled the tea, honey. HONOR THEM.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 7:02 PM

r19, we're clearly talking at cross-purposes, as I'm making the same argument as you are, except that my perception, as stated at r20, is that the TRA camp persists in the narrative that it was ONLY trans POC who got us to where we are today, which is a bald-faced lie -- it was the work of gay men and lesbians, white, black, Hispanic, Asian, etc., who fought for gay rights for over a century.

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 7:03 PM

R19, I see ONE black person in the photo you're presenting as evidence. Do better.

[quote] They're not. Plenty of events, protests, riots, and marches before and after Stonewall had plenty of women, lesbians, trans, blacks and Latinas involved, just like Canals said, but you guys always ignore those on purpose because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Actually, your agenda is complete bullshit. Prior to Stonewall, the Mattachine Society and the Daughters of Bilitis were the real gay pioneers, a group of lesbian and gay MEN AND WOMEN, predominantly white, none tranny.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote]Prior to Stonewall, the Mattachine Society and the Daughters of Bilitis were the real gay pioneers, a group of lesbian and gay MEN AND WOMEN

Seriously. I wish Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon got 1/100 of the attention that Marsha and Sylvia get. True pioneers and heroes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 7:11 PM

At least he didn't include a 'minute of silence'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2021 7:12 PM

"Pose", Jesus. I thought the men were shallow enough in "Paris is Burning" long ago. This is still going on?

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2021 7:13 PM

"built on the backs of the women"... hardly. Make him go away.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2021 7:15 PM

They don't get the same recognition because the alphabet train's agenda is to erase gay history. Gay men and women are responsible for their own history, nobody fought for us. We did it all ourselves.

The Trans and Queer brigade can fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2021 7:36 PM

R16, are you sure that person is trans and not a drag queen? I know it's a favourite tactic of the trans cult to claim that every pre-2015 drag queen was trans, but that's really a distortion of history. That person may not even have been a drag queen at Stonewall in 1969, because the original photos don't show many drag queens either.

The rest of the Stonewall veterans on that float are old white guys. Basically, by presenting that photo, all you've done is prove that the Stonewall rioters were 90% white gay men.

by Anonymousreply 29September 24, 2021 6:27 PM

"I know it's a favourite tactic of the trans cult to claim that every pre-2015 drag queen was trans" - Because every post-2015 drag queen is automatically "trans".

by Anonymousreply 30September 24, 2021 6:55 PM

I get preparing comments in hopes that you win. And, reading them to your friends would make sense. Honoring those women is great - honor them. Prefacing it with "the Emmy speech I never got to give"? Not necessary.

by Anonymousreply 31September 24, 2021 6:59 PM

Marsha P. Johnson threw the first chest of tea into the Boston Harbor igniting the revolutionary Boston Tea Party protest.

by Anonymousreply 32September 24, 2021 8:21 PM

No way was he going to win. His show is terribly written, no matter how worthy its subject matter may be. I'm tired of people pretending otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 33September 24, 2021 9:11 PM

I am so grateful "Pose" is over so we won't have to see any more of Billy "Thirst Personified" Porter on the red carpets for a good long while.

by Anonymousreply 34September 24, 2021 9:21 PM

I wish, r34. That judgmental face is going to appear on red carpets until he's on his deathbed, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 35September 24, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote]Stonewall veterans float 12 years ago in 2009 with a trans veteran of the riot. I'm sure you'll say it's just propaganda and a lie.

Back when one flag covered us all.

by Anonymousreply 36September 24, 2021 9:32 PM

But honey, you DIDN'T WIN.

by Anonymousreply 37September 24, 2021 9:36 PM

Canals only mentioned one woman, r31.

by Anonymousreply 38September 24, 2021 9:38 PM

Jesus you guys are such losers. This must be the 50th identical thread on this topic. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 39September 24, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote] “The reason I get to stand up here as an openly queer Afro-Latin person is because of my ancestors,” Canals would have said if he had made it up on stage at the Emmys. In 1969 the fight for trans and queer liberation reached a fever pitch, built on the backs of the women, who happened to be trans and lesbian. Who happened to be Black and Latina. And so I want to honour Marsha P Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, Miss Major, and Stormé DeLarverie. And that work continues today with Mj Rodgriguez, Dominique Jackson, Indya Moore, Hailie Sahar, Angelica Ross, Our Lady J and Janet Mock.”

A simple "thank you" would have been much, much better.

by Anonymousreply 40September 24, 2021 10:41 PM

R19, it's kind of funny that most of the pics you are sharing have MOSTLY WHITE people in them.

by Anonymousreply 41September 24, 2021 10:43 PM

Gay Emmys should wear tiny falsies.

by Anonymousreply 42September 24, 2021 11:11 PM

[quote]Gay Emmys should wear tiny falsies.

That would make them Trannys.

by Anonymousreply 43September 25, 2021 1:42 AM

Why would you release your winner's speech when you DIDN'T win?

This makes this the LOSER'S speech.

"I'd like to thank Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera for my losing this award..."

by Anonymousreply 44September 25, 2021 3:34 AM

Who can forget the kickline of drag queens in their stilleto boots and pickelhaubes leading the charge against oppressive conformity!

by Anonymousreply 45September 25, 2021 4:08 AM

While I actually don't have a problem with him mentioning folks like Marsha, Sylvia, Stormé and Miss Major, what I do take issue with is comparing these incredible individuals to a group of famous actors who happen to be trans. As wonderful as it is to see more representation, these folks weren't famous entertainers. They were doing actual work, on the ground, in the trenches, and they paid for it with the lives and livelihood. It's just not the same as a group of folks who are similar in identity, but in positions of actual privilege in the entertainment industry, in the context of 2021. Do these kids not get how ridiculous that sounds? Then, don't even get me started on the complete erasure of the actual history and contributions of actual gays and lesbians...

by Anonymousreply 46September 25, 2021 7:25 AM

Canals spent as much time researching Stonewall and Gay History as he did writing his scripts....almost none!

Trust me, we will never hear from these people ever again!

by Anonymousreply 47September 25, 2021 7:53 AM

Marsha and Sylvia were a couple of junkie street whores who had serious mental and emotional problems.

by Anonymousreply 48September 25, 2021 3:22 PM

Del Martin and Phyllis Lyon don't get anywhere near the attention they deserve. They were true pioneers.

by Anonymousreply 49September 25, 2021 3:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!