Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SNL's Bowen Yang

I can't ask this question on Twitter or Reddit without getting cancelled, so I'll ask it here. You fellas have no filter.

What's the deal with Bowen Yang? Why are the woke straights tripping over themselves to say what a genius he is, and what a style icon he is? He's the new Dan Levy. He's surely a nice enough person and has some talent, but they act like he's the next frickin' Robin Williams. I don't find him that funny, or that fashionable, or particularly attractive/stunning. SNL has gone a long time without a gay male cast member, and he fills that gap conveniently for them.

If Bowen Yang were a heterosexual, would anyone give a fuck about him? Is it really just white straights using him as their latest toy gay?

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 9:15 PM

Yes, pretty much. He is more talented than the other hacks at SNL (not a high bar).

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 5:46 PM

No, they wouldn’t. They fetishize minorities and gays in order for them to dispel their white guilt. Yas Kween!

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 5:48 PM

If he were heterosexual, he wouldn't be nearly as funny. His gayness informs his comedy.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 5:52 PM

But Kate McKinnon is a HUGE dyke, and a gold-star lez, and she's tremendously more talented than anyone else on that cast. Is she not gay enough for them?

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 5:52 PM

I don't think ANYONE on SNL is served well. Kate, Aidy, Bowen, Pete and Kenan all seem to be pressed constantly into playing the same little bandwidth of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 6:05 PM

They like him because he dresses like a drag queen. Straights are obsessed with RPDR.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 6:07 PM

He's okay, but like Pete Davidson, he's much more of a stand-up comedian than a comic actor. He's much funnier in his solo Weekend Update bits when he can do it all by himself than he is in the skits.

He's been annoying as a gay spokesman though.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote] Straights are obsessed with RPDR

When they're all clowns and the gay equivalent of Stephin Fetchit, gays can be soooo fun and entertaining!

As long as we don't have to think about buttsecks or like, rights or anything.

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 6:09 PM

R8 I have no problem with drag performers doing there thing, but I do think straights view drag as a sort of de-fanged, sexless homosexuality and that appeals to especially to straight women.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 6:14 PM

There used to be only one This Year's Fag. Now we need a new one every six months. They're not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 6:34 PM

He's not really a class clown, more like the snarky fat kid that doesn't talk to anyone. Like he's just co-opting drag queen/ rpdr culture and making the shock value the punchline. Like I enjoyed some parts of his titanic iceberg skit, but something was off about it. idk, I have listened to his podcast and he's gotten more annoying the more famous and activist-y he has gotten. Matt Rogers on the other hand, is actually a funny fool. Maybe the problem is that many comedians today are actually wanna-be actors who are looking for a way in to the spotlight? They aren't really that funny because they want comedy to be a "prestige" profession like directing or acting. Like the Atlantic praises their intelligence and encourages readers to watch their work because its "important", rather than funny or entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 6:43 PM

That guy got an Emmy nod?

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 6:48 PM

He’s not funny, and real comedians know this. He’s just an embarrassment.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

I'm not surprised Lorne Michaels would eventually try to jump on the RPDL wagon. Lots of funny femme queers and drag queens. Bowen Yang is not one of them, however.

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 6:53 PM

R12 For being a gay with gay voice and a non-white face, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 6:55 PM

I don't get it. I don't find him funny, but I haven't seen a ton of his stand-up.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 7:06 PM

He had a fling with Dan Levy when Levy hosted SNL. Some girlfriend of a crew member posted on a gossip site about it. Said it ended poorly and they made the cast/crew miserable for the week with their drama.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 7:14 PM

R17 double ended dildo?

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 7:20 PM

R17 Link?

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!