Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fellow DLers: who among you has bipolar disorder?

Tell me about your experiences, especially about your transitions from depressive to manic/hypomanic states, or vice versa.

Does your mood change within days or even hours, or do you have more of a transition period?

How old were you when you were diagnosed? How well do meds control your symptoms?

I'm 38 and have dealt with depression since I was about 12. I developed bipolar disorder during high school, but wasn't formally diagnosed until I was 21. I was in and out of psych wards in my early 20s. Now, I don't drink or use drugs (cocaine was my drug of choice), but I still have destructive mood swings. I suppose I use eating to regulate my moods and anxiety.

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 9:15 PM

Op I hope you’re under psychiatric care and adherent to mood stabilizing meds. I’m not bipolar but my ex was. A horrible roller coaster for him, me, and his family for years as he lied about medication adherence, cycled repeatedly, and was in and out of inpatient psych stays before ending up in a homeless shelter where he killed himself. Meds are not easy or without side effects but they can give you and your loved ones stability.

by Anonymousreply 1September 21, 2021 5:16 PM

I’m going through a mixed state and the irritability is through the roof. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. By the way, I never forget to take my meds.

by Anonymousreply 2September 21, 2021 5:19 PM

I am, r1, and I haven't been hospitalized for many years. But it's still a fucking struggle.

I'm sorry, r2. I hope you feel better soon.

by Anonymousreply 3September 21, 2021 5:31 PM

I used to go to depression support groups, and while we would break out between unipolar and bipolar there was a lot of overlap. As crap as my depressive life has been my heart goes out to bipolar people, their experiences were always ten times more brutal and the journey to find treatment and stability much, much harder. OP, I’m sorry for your struggle and I wouldn’t wish what you go through on my worse enemy. I will say that in group support I think the bipolars actually got more out of the experience by having someone who has lived similar situations that few can understand and the empathy that comes with it. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 5:44 PM

I personally do not, but I do get anxious and it makes me agitated and depressed. I get depressed in the morning but am on top of my game at night a lot. I have been through depression after my late partner died but doctors didn't give me a bipolar diagnosis. Said anxiety and depression can co-exist but I was never "manic". However, one doctor said he thought I may have been hypomanic the first Christmas after my partner died and I had lost my job at that same time and was starting a new job with little break and lots of stress. He based in on my high anxiety and nervousness levels, inability to sleep, the way I talked and "heightened state". He had me come in for an eval and also with a psychologist but they ruled out bipolar disorder based on several tests/questions. Just PTSD. I later dated an older shop bottom who is bipolar and saw the difference. He would go without sleep 3 days, spend like crazy (his mom was alive then and tracked it and would block the card and now he had a lawyer do that). He had huge episodes of rage followed by uncontrollable shaking. His moods would go from ecstatic to almost suicidal in a day....terrible. Ultimately, he found a good medicine combo, quit drinking and, it was kind of when he owned his own place and worked reduced hours and took in a tenant that he was finally much, much better. He still works part time just to get out.

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 5:51 PM

Well sometimes I find myself blind and trying to understand what water is and other times I find myself to be my identical cousin with a horrible Scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 5:52 PM

Thanks r4

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!