Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

$10,000 Abortion Bounty: Texas doctor violated abortion ban, is sued by private citizen from Arkansas

[quote][bold]Texas doctor who violated state’s abortion ban is sued, launching first test of constitutionality[/bold]

[quote]A lawsuit that could test the constitutionality of the nation’s most restrictive abortion ban was filed in Texas Monday against a doctor who admitted to performing an abortion considered illegal under the new law.

[quote]The details of the civil suit against Alan Braid, a physician in San Antonio, are as unusual as the law itself, which empowers private citizens to enforce the ban on abortion once cardiac activity has been detected — often as early as six weeks into pregnancy.

[quote]Braid stepped forward last week to say that he provided an abortion to a woman who was in the early stages of pregnancy, but beyond the state’s limit. Despite the risks, Braid said he acted because of his duty as a doctor and “because she has a fundamental right to receive this care.”

[quote]“I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested,” he wrote in a column in The Washington Post.

[quote]On Monday, an Arkansas man said he decided to file a lawsuit to test the constitutionality of the Texas measure after reading a news report about Braid’s declaration. Oscar Stilley, a former lawyer convicted of tax fraud in 2010, said he is not personally opposed to abortion, but believes that the measure should be subject to judicial review.

[quote]“If the law is no good, why should we have to go through a long, drawn-out process to find out if it’s garbage?” Stilley said in an interview after filing the complaint in state court in Bexar County, Tex., which includes San Antonio.

[quote]He also noted that a successful lawsuit could result in an award in court of at least $10,000 for the plaintiff.

[quote]“If the state of Texas decided it’s going to give a $10,000 bounty, why shouldn’t I get that 10,000 bounty?” said Stilley, who is currently serving his 15-year federal sentence on home confinement.

[quote]That the first legal challenge to the Texas law came from a convicted felon in Arkansas was somewhat surprising. The antiabortion group Texas Right to Life has been gatheringanonymous tips about potential violations, but had not yet filed a lawsuit — in part because abortion providers and clinics said they were complying with the law. The group has also been temporarily barred by state court decisions from suing certain providers in parts of the state.

[quote]Braid, whose clinics are represented by the Center for Reproductive Rights, declined to comment through the legal organization.

[quote]“S.B. 8 says that ‘any person’ can sue over a violation, and we are starting to see that happen, including by out-of-state claimants,” Marc Hearron, the group’s senior counsel, said in a statement.

[quote]The Texas law took effect Sept. 1 and was designed to avoid judicial scrutiny by barring state officials, who would typically be the target of lawsuits, from enforcing the ban.

[quote]Instead, private citizens are charged with enforcing the ban by filing civil lawsuits against anyone who helps a woman get an abortion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote][bold]San Antonio doctor who openly flouted Texas abortion ban sued by disbarred Illinois lawyer[/bold]

[quote]After admitting to violating Texas’ new abortion restrictions in a Washington Post column published this weekend, a San Antonio doctor has fielded his first lawsuit over the medical procedure, according to court records obtained by KSAT. The lawsuit, which actually seeks to nullify the restrictive abortion law, appears to be the first so far reported under the new law.

[quote]Dr. Alan Braid, an OB-GYN on San Antonio’s Northwest Side, explained his reasons for following through on an abortion procedure on Sept. 6 in the column. The woman was still in her first trimester, but beyond the state’s window of six weeks, before most women even know they’re pregnant.

[quote]“I acted because I had a duty of care to this patient, as I do for all patients, and because she has a fundamental right to receive this care,” Braid wrote.

[quote]By openly admitting to the procedure, Braid opened himself up to civil lawsuits paved by Senate Bill 8. Under the law, anyone — not just Texans — can sue Braid and anyone else who assisted the woman to have the abortion for at least $10,000.

[quote]“I fully understood that there could be legal consequences — but I wanted to make sure that Texas didn’t get away with its bid to prevent this blatantly unconstitutional law from being tested,” Braid wrote.

[quote]Bexar County court records obtained by KSAT 12 show that Braid was sued Monday by Felipe N. Gomez, an attorney who was disbarred in Illinois after other attorneys accused him of sending harassing and threatening emails. Records showed Gomez was suspended indefinitely on April 8.

[quote]Gomez filed the lawsuit pro se, identifying himself as a “Pro Choice plaintiff” and an Illinois resident. In the court filing, Gomez asks the judge to order the law is unconstitutional and violates Roe v. Wade. The lawsuit does not seek any monetary relief in the case.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 9:13 PM

This doctor is just as brave as any doctor who performs surgery on the fields of war.

Just needed to be said.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 9:25 PM

Gotta love those "small government" conservatives!

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 9:30 PM

[quote]This doctor is just as brave as any doctor who performs surgery on the fields of war.

As was the patient, reportedly a trans woman of color!

by Anonymousreply 4September 21, 2021 6:38 AM

R4

I don't get it.

Do you hate the abortion doctor? Trans women of color? Both?

by Anonymousreply 5September 21, 2021 6:46 AM

The mother of a disbarred lawyer from Illinois should have had an abortion.

What a slimy fucker.

by Anonymousreply 6September 21, 2021 7:23 AM

It doesn’t have to be hate, snooze. In fact, your response not only makes the joke funnier, it also proves it’s premise!

by Anonymousreply 7September 21, 2021 7:35 AM

What? Trans aren't women so they can't get pregnant. What is this delusion?

by Anonymousreply 8September 21, 2021 7:41 AM

R7 "It doesn't have to be hate,"

Okay... so you don't hate the abortion doctor or trans people of color or both of them? You didn't actually answer my question.

I mean, I see you posting threads with links to the Daily Mail. So, I have some idea of what to expect from you, considering it's a right-wing tabloid. But I'd still like you to answer the question. Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 9September 21, 2021 8:17 AM

R7

I mean, you entered a thread about an abortion ban and then weirdly brought "trans women of color" into. And now you're even more weirdly refusing to just actually forthrightly state your feelings about what you commented on.

Are you a pro-life republican? Are you even american?

Since you brought it up, do you hate trans women of color?

Are you afraid to just honestly state these things even though you came into a thread about the subject and made that comment in R4?

by Anonymousreply 10September 21, 2021 8:26 AM

It was obviously just a joke, Ooze. Calm your tits,

I thought it was funny, especially after statements on social media about how the Texas law will disproportionately affect trans people.

by Anonymousreply 11September 21, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote] The mother of a disbarred lawyer from Illinois should have had an abortion.

Actually, I think this legal challenge highlights that the TX law is preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 12September 21, 2021 3:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!