Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cedric the Entertainer gives big boost to Emmy’s Ratings by

TV Ratings: #Emmys Awards Rise 16% From Last Year, Reversing a Pattern of Declines

The 73rd Primetime Emmy Awards on CBS rebounded from last year’s all-time low ratings, reversing steady declines with a 16% gain of viewership to 7.4 million, compared to approximately 6.37 million viewers in 2020.

Per the accurate Nielsen Live+Same Day time-zone adjusted fast nationals for Sunday night, the ceremony averaged the total time spent across linear and digital platforms was over 1.4 billion minutes.

Even before the pandemic, the Emmys were struggling to stay on our collective radars, plummeting to a historic viewership drop-off in 2020 of approximately 12% compared to 2019’s host-less ceremony on Fox. The 7.4 million score for Sunday night’s show does not include “out of home” viewing and CBS estimates that it will likely increase upwards to 7.9 million when final numbers are released by Nielsen tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2021 12:36 AM

It wasn't much of a rise, according to CNN, but at least it wasn't further into a record slide.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 7:58 PM

It was up 16%. That’s a rise.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 8:04 PM

If there was a significant rise in viewership, that's ironic, as I heard from multiple sources that this was one of the worst, most unwatchable awards shows in history.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 8:27 PM

It wasn’t. It was fun and moved fast.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 8:29 PM

Betty Gilpin should have won for Glow season 2.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 8:29 PM

16% increase is big

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 8:32 PM

R3, your sources must be all effete old gay men, because young people of color liked it

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 8:33 PM

R7: Actually, no, they weren't. Are you a "young person of color" yourself, or are you just speaking for them? On second thought, no need to answer that, because I really couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 8:41 PM

I think having a host that can be funny helped.Oscars need to get somebody with broad appeal to host as well.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 9:06 PM

It had to go up. Not for Cedric The "Entertainer", but for the hideous show last year, at the height of the pandemic. Did everyone forget that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 9:19 PM

The Emmys are more relevant than the Oscars because everything is TV/streaming based today. Movies go straight to TV streaming services now.

The Emmys and the Golden Globes will be the main award shows going forward because they cover both TV and movies. Will the Oscars even be a thing 5 years from now?

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 9:32 PM

True. Today’s tv shows are more relatable, less elite or vulgar

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 9:33 PM

I didn’t watch, but I was tempted when I saw Cedric was hosting. I knew he’d help make it more entertaining. He’s a delight.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 1:00 PM

cedric gave me a rise

by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 1:01 PM

I love Cedric

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 1:16 PM

Have you ever seen such an unattractive and cheap set?

by Anonymousreply 16September 23, 2021 11:50 PM

I liked that they announced the nominees first, then the camera came up on the presenter, who was already standing at the podium.

All those walk-outs waste a lot of time.

by Anonymousreply 17September 24, 2021 12:36 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!