Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WV Senator Joe Manchin is Corrupt AF

Why doesn’t the media hammer this point home? Joe Manchin is just as corrupt, if not more, than Mitch McConnell.

These assholes never do what is best for the citizens. Always what is best for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 204October 9, 2021 11:30 AM

This filibuster has got to go.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 4:25 PM

Joe needs to stop playing games with American’s lives.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 4:26 PM

He goes against democrats just so he can hold out and angle for more power. He’s corrupt and it’s time for him to either support democrats or come out as a Republican.

Enough!

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 4:27 PM

No, OP, no one is as corrupt as Mitch Bumfuck. NO ONE!!!

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 4:27 PM

This guy is a sleazy snake. He is not even a democrat. He moves much more like the republicans when it comes to blatant corruption.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 4:30 PM

Like daddy, like daughter...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 4:34 PM

His fucking state and McConnell's fucking state have no fucking money, contribute nothing but their complete idiocy and backwards hick mentality. Why in the hell do people from leech states that contribute NOTHING, get a say over where even once cent goes, let alone all of the fucking power over that money that isn't from them?

States that contribute nothing should have no say over the budget. You know that would be the case if they were mostly red states paying for everything. Imagine the shit that would be spewed by McConnell or any of these shit red state reps if their states weren't the worthless ones? I mean my God, McConnell already had the nerve to tell NY to go bankrupt. Imagine if KY wasn't the parasite state in the scenario.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 4:34 PM

Every time I see his stupid, smug face on TV or hear his name I want to punch a wall. He is an absolute corrupt fuckhead who cares more about what his wealthy donors want than voting rights or the good of his own (poor) constituents. He and Sinema should be shipped off to Syberia. Unfortunately, we needed them to gain majority, but they totally nullify the historic Ossoff/Warnock wins.

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 4:36 PM

I don’t understand why he won’t repeal the filibuster. He would still have a veto over any legislation because her Democrats do not have a majority.

While it’s a grisly thought, a Senator dying could change everything. If it’s a Democrat, Republicans have the majority. If it’s a Republican, Democrats only need either Sinema or Manchin. Ted Kennedy’s death nearly destroyed Obama’s presidency.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 4:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 5:02 PM

It’s not just about dem/rep with this one. He is corrupt u like many other senators. There are levels to corruption.

Mitch and Joe and the most corrupt followed by Johnson, Graham, Kennedy etc… Mitch and Joe are TOP TIER CORRUPT meaning they don’t have to go through other senators to get the bag. They have direct access to Koch and co. where as others have to go through other people.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 5:07 PM

Joe Manchin is totally crooked. People have no idea. He is a crook. Keep digging. Don’t give up.

He gets a pass from democrats but hopefully not anymore. Believe me, they know how corrupt he truly is. He is bold.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 5:09 PM

It all comes down to dark money with Joe Manchin. He is rich beyond belief and the personal gains he has made would make even the most craven politician blush.

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2021 5:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2021 5:12 PM

this is not about political party with Joe. Keep the focus on his shady moves, and his back room deals. He is about himself and personally benefiting from his votes.

He is cut from the same cloth as Blogovich. They are the same type of crooked politicians that trade votes for personal favors. Keep the focus on that and don’t get distracted.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2021 5:16 PM

I was unaware Manchin was dirty. I thought he was a principled man looking for his constituents. What an eye opening thread.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2021 5:17 PM

Mitch McConnell is 10x smarter than Joe. Joe is sloppy with his moves. Mitch is slick.

The rethug donors have so much dirt on Joe because he is an oaf. He has smart handlers but he himself is a jock and sort of dumb. He is well coached but Joe makes the decisions at the end of the day and it gets him in trouble and comprises him. He is greedy.

So they do they best they can to cover up his faulty ethics but the reason he is still around because he had cover from democrats.

But he is losing that cover and with enough pressure he could resign by the end of the year.

This scares democrats in Washington for obvious reasons. Joe could do one of 2 things: turn rethug or retire and be replaced with a rethug.

And so here we are. A house of cards. What will the American people do about this?

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2021 5:21 PM

R16 you’re dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2021 5:22 PM

judging by r14 the corruption story is catching hold and more people are learning about this dude and his murky habits.

He is going down. The democrats are dumping him. He will have no cover and nowhere to hide. He pushed it too far.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2021 5:24 PM

And the explanation at R17 is EXACTLY why we shouldn't nuke the filibuster.

We are on the precipice of losing control of the Senate. Now is not the time to take off the guardrails.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 5:25 PM

Mitch is going to nuke the filibuster as soon as he has the chance. Which might come soon if Manchin flips. Then he is protected from criticism because rethugs don’t care about corrupt politicians.

This is such a mess. The Kochs have gotten every thing they wanted. Everyday is Christmas for them.

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 5:27 PM

Whoever nukes it first wins at this point. Unless democrats were to get their act together and realize that even 2021 is an election year. Every seat counts. They need to fight like hell. The Kochs basically have the whole country now. The courts, many state houses and they almost have congress but for a thin thread. They have won. They literally have it all and will never give it back. They pulled it off. And there are no newspapers left to tell the tale.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 5:30 PM

The media sold out ages ago. It’s all infotainment and advertising.

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2021 5:31 PM

He's not going to win next year. WV has gone too red.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote] He's not going to win next year

He will turn 75 in August of next year.

In the grand scheme of things, we shouldn't even want someone that old to be running for re-election. No sane country wants 81 y/o senators--or senators, justices or presidents likely to die in office.

The only hope for Democrats is the exceptionally slender possibility of people realizing how much good infrastructure and relief legislation can do or did for them. So...

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 6:23 PM

Funny how these red state hicks believe in giving the most power to the wealthiest, yet they don't extend that courtesy to the wealthiest states. I can't imagine why...

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 6:31 PM

Schumer is a fucking coward and I loathe that he is my senator.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 6:32 PM

This guy is standing in the way of so much. One man.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 7:11 PM

Joe Manchin has survived as a Democrat official in West Virginia. The man is politically brilliant, at least concerning his political survival. He wisely ignores those who fail to consider he represents West Virginia

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 11:59 PM

It’s not as if Joe Manchin’s would be succeeded in the Senate seat by Hubert Horatio Hornblower.

by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2021 12:09 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2021 12:12 AM

The Senate should have term limits, and no senator should be able to run if he is over 65. Our country needs to change with the times and some older people are the last to understand it.

by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2021 12:20 AM

R31, however angry we are with Manchin, the choice isn’t between him & some imaginary WV liberal, a latter day Hubert Horatio Humphrey (who Carter, in his 1980 convention speech, paid tribute to by calling him “Hubert Horatio Hornblower.”) Manchin is - by leaps & bounds - the best we’re going to get out of a WV US Senator.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2021 12:22 AM

That punk Schumer can't rein him in, though.

by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2021 12:27 AM

Democrats need to focus on flipping the Pennsylvania seat held by retiring R Pat Toomey. Democrats John Fetterman and Conor Lamb are both running for the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2021 12:37 AM

If Nancy were in the Senate and majority leader, she would have had both of those bastards Manchin and Sinema in check.

by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2021 3:52 AM

McConnell and republicans will nuke the filibuster eventually. We need to do it now. Dare McConnell to do it later. HE WILL ANYWAY. Or someone worse than him will. The GQP has lost its fucking mind. Their is no low than can’t and won’t go.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2021 4:02 AM

This kind of corruption is going to be like a drop in the bucket if the republicans get control of all three branches of government again.

Before Trump, I never imagined that I would predict this, but I really think american democracy is going to be dead, done, finito in the next 10 years. And it's never been truly democratic to begin with.

I never thought that I could be as angry at non-voters as I have been since 2016. I always hated republicans; but now, when a liberal/progressive tells me they don't vote, my blood pressure spikes and I have to straight-up take a moment to suppress anger.

by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2021 4:37 AM

He'd be irrelevant if people got off their asses and voted Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 39September 21, 2021 5:24 AM

R39, Democrats have to move en masse away from California to the rest of the purple & red states to make a real difference in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 40September 21, 2021 5:57 AM

R40

I'm not disagreeing, but the electoral college system never should've existed in the first place to make that necessary...

I don't see that migration happening. I don't really see any non-catastrophic way out of this situation. Things are going to get much uglier.

by Anonymousreply 41September 21, 2021 6:08 AM

For the presidency, we need just enough Californians to move to Texas to get a stranglehold on that office. If we flip Texas, it’s over for Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 42September 21, 2021 6:14 AM

People need to stop thinking Democrats are in charge of the Senate.

Just. Stop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Dude really, really, really wants to make progressives the enemy.

[quote] Manchin on Biden pitch: "He basically said find a number you're comfortable with based on the needs that we still have and how we deliver to the American people."

[quote] "Please just work on it. Give me a number and tell me what you can live with and what you can't."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2021 11:51 PM

“‘the public has no way of gauging whether or not a politician’s opinions are the same as they would have been if they had not gotten financial support from interested industry players,’ said Walter Shaub”

[quote] Of the set of lawmakers working to slow down or completely stop progress on the Biden administration’s $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill, almost no one is more famous—or infamous—than Senator Kyrsten Sinema. The Arizona Democrat has styled herself as a moderate and underscored that position by vowing to oppose the reconciliation bill at its current $3.5 trillion price tag.

[quote]That’s won her one-on-one meetings with President Biden. It’s won her an endless stream of press coverage. And it’s won her something else: support from major business entities working to gut parts of the reconciliation package or the entire bill overall.

[quote] Accountable.US, the liberal nonprofit group, has compiled a report of donations to Sinema from organizations like the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and PhRMA, groups actively working to trip up the reconciliation package, a key pillar of Biden’s domestic policy agenda.

[quote] The report tallies that Sinema has received “at least $923,065 from the industry groups leading this charge against the Build Back Better budget or from the individual corporations these groups represent.” The report centers on five interest groups: the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the Business Roundtable, the RATE Coalition, the National Association of Manufacturers, and PhRMA.

[quote] “Super-rich corporations have given Senator Sinema nearly a million reasons to vote against making them pay their fair share in taxes,” Kyle Herrig, president of Accountable.US, said in a statement. “Make no mistake, if she sides with her wealthy donors and kills popular investments to jump-start the economy, everyday families—including across Arizona—will pay the price.”

[...]

[quote] ...the donations and the report itself underscore the battle lines Democrats are forced to pay attention to as they try and move the reconciliation bill through Congress. No lawmaker, realistically, expects the budget proposals not to pass through Congress. But liberal Democrats do worry that the sausage-making process will dramatically weaken the provisions in there, to a point where it tries to do way too much with too little money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2021 1:52 PM

Manchin's role is to throw a monkey wrench on all Democratic progress to appease he corporate masters.

by Anonymousreply 46September 23, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote]If Nancy were in the Senate and majority leader, she would have had both of those bastards Manchin and Sinema in check.

Klobuchar should be in charge in the Senate. Both of those assholes would have had several staplers to the head by now.

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2021 4:43 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2021 4:55 PM

Heinrich was besties with Republican Jeff Flake so this tracks:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] WV Senator Joe Manchin is Corrupt AF Why doesn’t the media hammer this point home? Joe Manchin is just as corrupt, if not more, than Mitch McConnell.

I agree, they should let him have it

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote] “When every single person has a veto, everyone realizes they have the power to say yes or no; they can be queen or king for the day,” said Tom Daschle, the former senator from South Dakota and the last Democratic majority leader who presided over a Senate without a vote to spare. But, he added, in his day, the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks brought about a sense of unity and bipartisanship. “It’s much harder now,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2021 1:21 PM

I don't see how anyone has made a case for his alleged corruption. His family business does not make him corrupt.

People have no knowledge of history. The filibuster was used in the past to protect the rights of people like women's rights in the 1980s.

The filibuster in and of itself is not bad. It's just another trendy movement. it may need to be amended but it has its good uses.

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote]The filibuster in and of itself is not bad. It's just another trendy movement. it may need to be amended but it has its good uses.

The filibuster is not a trend. It’s been around since 1806. It is a relic from before the Civil War, and it needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2021 6:38 PM

Looking out for yourself and enriching your family business over the welfare of your constituents is absolutely the definition of corruption and that’s just the tip of the iceberg with this one.

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote]The filibuster is not a trend.

I didn't say the filibuster was a trend. I am talking about calling it evil and wanting to end it - that is the latest trend. The Democrats loved it at one time.

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2021 7:06 PM

The filibuster is a Jim Crow relic that has been used to impeded the civil rights of people of color, for starters. It needs to be done away with, and Biden needs to use his bully pulpit to advocate for either a carve out or an abolishment of it for voting rights.

by Anonymousreply 56September 26, 2021 8:38 PM

R56, you are woefully unaware of the way the filibuster has been used by both parties for good. You've cherry picked its history to fit a current agenda.

by Anonymousreply 57September 26, 2021 9:14 PM

I'm woefully aware of how two corrupt "Democrats" are using the filibuster as a way to stifle their own party's agenda just to please their Republican cronies and the big corporations who fatten their pockets. As for that other thing, if you aren't a person of color whose ancestors' civil rights were never threatened by use of the filibuster, then you can take your cherry picking and shove it straight up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 58September 26, 2021 9:29 PM

R58 = mind reader extraordinaire.

Not everyone kowtows to the party when they fell a principle is involved.

by Anonymousreply 59September 26, 2021 9:31 PM

America can’t function like this with greedy corrupt senators looking out for their own best interest. These people already have a fortune. And they want more! Can never get enough!

by Anonymousreply 60September 26, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote] she was “working directly, in good faith, on the legislation with her colleagues and the administration.”

But

[quote] WASHINGTON — Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, the inscrutable Democrat who may hold the key to passing her party’s ambitious social policy and climate bill, is scheduled to have a fund-raiser on Tuesday afternoon with five business lobbying groups, many of which fiercely oppose the bill.

[quote] Under Ms. Sinema’s political logo, the influential National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors and the grocers’ PAC, along with lobbyists for roofers and electrical contractors and a small business group called the S-Corp political action committee, have invited association members to an undisclosed location on Tuesday afternoon for 45 minutes to write checks for between $1,000 and $5,800, payable to Sinema for Arizona.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2021 8:45 PM

shady ^

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2021 9:09 PM

If you don't like fundraising then get rid of money in elections.

by Anonymousreply 63September 28, 2021 2:13 AM

Trae with another epic car rant:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 29, 2021 8:32 PM

Manchin represents West Virginia. To expect him to Do anything else is unreasonable

by Anonymousreply 65September 29, 2021 8:41 PM

Leader McConnell likes me. Leader McConnell is my friend. Leader McConnell has me on speed dial.

by Anonymousreply 66September 29, 2021 8:45 PM

NO ONE is more evil and corrupt than McConnell.

And he is a Democrat in a red state. It's a wonder we have him as a Democrat at all, and it's highly likely if he retired, a Republican would replace him.

The solution isn't to whine about him (Simema is actually worse), it's to vote in more Democrats to the Senate so that he isn't the tiebreaker vote.

by Anonymousreply 67September 29, 2021 8:55 PM

R67 I believe you intended to say Manchin.

by Anonymousreply 68September 29, 2021 9:01 PM

R67 Yes, I responded to the McConnell remark and then shifted to talking about Manchin. My bad for not putting in "Manchin" instead of "he".

by Anonymousreply 69September 29, 2021 9:04 PM

And I also am unclear why autocorrect seems to routinely subtract a number when I use the R-referral. I'm not going crazy, it actually changes it like people normally autocorrect R68 to R67.

by Anonymousreply 70September 29, 2021 9:08 PM

I really feel like everyday average democrats are being pushed to the brink by the right-wing. Something is going to give one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 71September 29, 2021 9:11 PM

Civil war. It's what the right winge fringe wants. And the far left wouldn't be unhappy about it either.

by Anonymousreply 72September 29, 2021 9:12 PM

R72, what far-left is looking for a civil war? The "far-left" is looking for god damned universal healthcare. The "far-left" doesn't have political leadership who push violence as a means to get their way.

by Anonymousreply 73September 29, 2021 9:51 PM

r73 the far-left who think that the southern states should be split off from the rest of the US. There's a difference between "progressive", "left-wing", and "far-left". The far-left is the fringe.

And I didn't say anything about the leadership or the possibility of it being LED by the far-left. Obviously the right-wing civil war fetishists are being goaded on by mainstream Republican politicians.

by Anonymousreply 74September 29, 2021 9:54 PM

Thought for today: Blame Cal Cunningham for everything. He lost a probably winnable 2020 Senate seat in NC because of a sex scandal. In an alternative universe, the Democrats would have 51 Senate seats and Sinema could follow her own weird path without affecting the outcome.

by Anonymousreply 75September 30, 2021 2:34 AM

Manchin and Sinema are fucking assholes and deserve all the shit they're getting for potentially RUINING the entire Biden and Democratic agenda! The $3.5 trillion plan is POPULAR among their own voters! They're choosing their donors over their own fucking voters

by Anonymousreply 76September 30, 2021 3:18 AM

Sickening.

by Anonymousreply 77September 30, 2021 7:08 PM

Trump won West Virginia by 40 pts. It's a miracle a conservative Dem could even get elected there. Sinema's a nutjob.

Progressive House members in solid blue districts are out of touch with reality though.

by Anonymousreply 78September 30, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] Manchin and Sinema are fucking assholes and deserve all the shit they're getting for potentially RUINING the entire Biden and Democratic agenda! The $3.5 trillion plan is POPULAR among their own voters! T

Refresh my memory. What are the sticking points for each of them. Only serious replies please unless you are really funny or witty.

by Anonymousreply 79September 30, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote] What are the sticking points for each of them.

She is bat shit crazy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80September 30, 2021 8:02 PM

I don't have an issue with means testing. Surely not everyone needed a stimulus check. I even think that social security benefits should be means tested above a certain income and asset level.

He's right in that we can do more for those who need assistance if we put a little effort into means testing recipients.

by Anonymousreply 81September 30, 2021 8:06 PM

I've lived most of my life in Western Europe, went to college there. So I've always found Bernie Sanders' OTT claims about all the freebies you get in Europe mostly nonsense. The package the progressives have put together isn't realistic. They should aim for necessities and not try to fulfil campaign promises Bernie made in their districts so they won't get primaried.

by Anonymousreply 82September 30, 2021 8:37 PM

Interesting article about the Manchin houseboat.

[quote] Up on the party deck, amid the wrought-iron chairs and tables with umbrellas, you might see Trump-allied Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), just months removed from objecting to President Biden’s election, talking college football with Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg.

[quote] On one evening cruise, some years back, Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) was so moved by the picturesque Washington skyline that she began singing “God Bless America.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 30, 2021 9:16 PM

The problem with means testing is administrative burdens. It often costs a lot of money or time to micromanage benefits. But since you are have a Puritan ethos where we like to punish the needy, we do a lot of stupid things.

by Anonymousreply 84September 30, 2021 9:29 PM

Plan A

Plan B

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 30, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] The problem with means testing is administrative burdens. It often costs a lot of money or time to micromanage benefits. But since you are have a Puritan ethos where we like to punish the needy, we do a lot of stupid things.

That's ridiculous. We have means tests for all kinds of things. Further, with the administrative tools available today it shouldn't be an issue or much of a burden either cost-wise or with personnel. The administrative argument no longer holds water.

Puritan ethos? LOL! People with their own or family owned ample assets (like homes owned and investments) and incomes (including unearned income) should not be taking up resources necessary for those in real need. If that's your idea of Puritanism then that's fine with me.

by Anonymousreply 86September 30, 2021 10:48 PM

I have always believed that Murk is a heavy alcoholic that keeps a flask on her person at all times.

Has the lady ever smiled once in her life?

by Anonymousreply 87September 30, 2021 11:16 PM

She strikes me as a smoker.

by Anonymousreply 88October 1, 2021 12:12 AM

I can't look at Pramila Jayapal. Those bulging eyes that look like they're getting ready to ooze down her face and plop on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 89October 1, 2021 12:39 AM

It brings a smile to my face just imagining a drunk Lisa Murkowski breaking in to song on the top of Joe's houseboat. I am sure she would put Kate Smith to shame singing God Bless America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90October 1, 2021 1:17 AM

NO HOUSE VOTE TONIGHT

which is good news. I really don't want to see the bill go down in flames.

by Anonymousreply 91October 1, 2021 2:45 AM

In 2005 Republican nuts wanted to abolish the filibuster. The New York Times was aghast, foreseeing exactly the sort of disaster Harry Reid later delivered upon the democrats.

Now you guys want to double down on that stupidity in a tantrum for Joe Biden of all things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92October 1, 2021 3:47 AM

Reviewing the thread again it seems nobody notices AOC Progressives are a greater roadblock than Manchin.

Facing an embarrassing defeat at the hands of progressives in her party, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) was forced to cancel a vote on a Senate-passed $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure bill Thursday.

Democratic leadership failed to garner the support needed for passage after the party’s far-left flank vowed to block the measure until there is movement on a sweeping $3.5 trillion social spending bill.

The feud threatens two of President Biden’s top legislative priorities and has so far confounded party leaders, senior congressional staffers, and White House aides who have sought a solution.

Pelosi had insisted all week that the infrastructure legislation would come up for a vote Thursday. She had initially promised moderate members of her conference who supported that measure that it would be voted on by Sept. 27, but allowed the deadline to slide as she sought to placate progressives who wanted to vote on the larger bill first.

The speaker was confident earlier Thursday that the $1.2 trillion bill would pass on her schedule, despite minimal whipping efforts from House Democratic leaders.

A July memo signed by Manchin and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) emerged Thursday, revealing that the West Virginian had requested a topline figure of $1.5 trillion.

Jayapal told reporters that she believed Manchin’s statement had galvanized more progressives to vote against the infrastructure bill — which Manchin played a key role in negotiating — and insisted that her bloc had the votes to bring down the measure,

House progressives been encouraged in their intransigence by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who told reporters that he did not see an agreement on the final form of the social spending bill coming together by Thursday evening and cautioned that progressives would lose leverage if the infrastructure bill was passed first.

Democrats currently hold a majority of eight seats in the House of Representatives, meaning that only three of Pelosi’s members can vote against any measure before it is defeated — assuming all Republicans hold firm.

by Anonymousreply 93October 1, 2021 5:10 AM

Joe Manchin doesn’t get to decide what the infrastructure budget is. It’s not his job or is mandate. That is a the house’s job. And the White House to set the agenda. Not the senate’s.

He doesn’t get to pull 1.5 trillion out of a hat and then 350 million Americans are supposed to fall in line. He is not in charge of the budget.

by Anonymousreply 94October 1, 2021 5:23 AM

Joe Manchin whines about $3.5 trillion — but he spent $9.1 trillion on defense

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 1, 2021 5:29 AM

Exactly, Mitch McConnell is going to nuke the fillbuster when the republicans get into power again.

We have to nuke it, to pass PRO DEMOCRACY Policies to protect us from them.

You think the descent into Fascism and Theocracy is over. Republicans, the modern day Nazi party, are going to keep on doing it. See Texas.

This guy is a fucking Traitor. He is fucking over the American People and wreaking our Democracy.

This makes me FURIOUS. I hate this guy. What the fuck is he and enema doing?

by Anonymousreply 96October 1, 2021 5:37 AM

America will be full fascist by 2023. There won’t even be a 2024 election. The Democratic Party is playing the exact script of Weimar Germany and Republican Spain: the far left’s ideological purism destroys the center left instead of the much more dangerous enemy.

by Anonymousreply 97October 1, 2021 6:28 AM

Manchin spent part of the summer with REPUBLICAN Linsay Graham.. He is NOT on Democrats side...Lindsay and Manchin brown nose each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 1, 2021 7:06 AM

INCOMPETENT Mayor Pete is doing nothing to sell the Infrastructure Bill. Thanks a lot Lazy Pete and your fat manwife Chasten...What could we expect from someone who couldn't even fill potholes in Hooterville South Bend?...

by Anonymousreply 99October 1, 2021 7:08 AM

R93 the majority of both bills are popular among Manchin's own voters. He is the roadblock. I do not want the progressives to sink the bipartisan bill but they would only do that if Manchin and Sinema don't fucking get on board for the big reconciliation bill. There's no excuse why those 2 are fucking things up when their voters WANT what's in the bill. They're siding with their big donors instead. Disgusting

by Anonymousreply 100October 1, 2021 7:50 AM

Notice that there is no link for R93?

Because it is from THE NEW YORK POST

by Anonymousreply 101October 1, 2021 12:16 PM

And here is the Daily Mail

White House officials met with Manchin, along with Senator Kyrsten Sinema and socialist Bernie Sanders in the evening to thrash out a deal.

The centrists want a smaller price tag and are wary of steep tax hikes to fund the package - but progressives, who initially wanted a $6 trillion deal, say they have already given up enough.

Sanders blasted the idea that an agreement could be reached with the clock ticking down.

'It is an absurd way to do business, to be negotiating a multi-trillion-dollar bill a few minutes before a major vote with virtually nobody knowing what's going on,' he told CNN.

'That's unacceptable. And I think what has got to happen is that tonight, 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑖𝑝𝑎𝑟𝑡𝑖𝑠𝑎𝑛 𝑖𝑛𝑓𝑟𝑎𝑠𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑐𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑒 𝑏𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑏𝑒 𝑑𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑑.'

by Anonymousreply 102October 1, 2021 12:27 PM

That Sanders. Always ending up in this familiar positions.

by Anonymousreply 103October 1, 2021 12:35 PM

The Daily Mail and the NYPost and even, it seems, the NYTimes all want to further the idea that the left flank torpedoed this.

But as much as I distrust and dislike Sanders and many of the progressives, here's an indication that the White House sees them as allies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 1, 2021 12:49 PM

Fingers crossed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 1, 2021 1:35 PM

Manchin is not emperor and doesn’t get to decide the budget.

by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2021 2:35 PM

He however gets to decide his vote.

by Anonymousreply 107October 1, 2021 2:40 PM

He can’t say he’s basing his vote on an arbitrary number that he made up. It’s a lie and it doesn’t hold up. What is the real reason for saying no? Financial interests. Personal.

He seems like almost dumb sometimes. Like he is not used to prime time.

by Anonymousreply 108October 1, 2021 3:10 PM

R108 see R17

by Anonymousreply 109October 1, 2021 3:12 PM

R97 seek help, you are completely delusional.

by Anonymousreply 110October 1, 2021 3:55 PM

Schumer and his weakness make me puke. I agree with those who say the filibuster will be gone if the GOP wins. Just like McConnell claimed we should "wait" when it came to Obama SC nominees and then put Barrett in within 30 seconds.

The Dems trying to do everything by the book is what will destroy this country. We need new, stronger, younger, tough leadership.

by Anonymousreply 111October 1, 2021 4:32 PM

they want to pass everything together. they want to make it historic. Manchin and this enema have to walk the plank on this. Though, they do not have to because their own constituents want this.

by Anonymousreply 112October 1, 2021 6:03 PM

BULD BACK BETTER

Pass this Together. Make this historic.

by Anonymousreply 113October 1, 2021 6:04 PM

R112, but their donors don't want this. Manchin has always been a shit, but Sinema is the complete antithesis of who she claimed to be and what people voted for. She's just odious.

by Anonymousreply 114October 1, 2021 6:06 PM

Manshit and Enema have to be some cold people to be able to lay their heads down on a pillow at night and sleep soundly in the knowledge that they are lowballing and screwing around with what the American people need and want at the behest of their wealthy, corrupted, greedy donors. There isn't a hell hot enough for either one of them.

by Anonymousreply 115October 1, 2021 6:09 PM

R115, that thumbs down shit in her tutu showed what a cunt she truly is.

by Anonymousreply 116October 1, 2021 6:13 PM

When those TX Dems went to DC to tell senior Dems how serious the voting suppression was, the TX Dems said it clearly: Schumer doesn't really grasp how serious this is. He offered no real solutions.

Remember he claimed they would take it up when they got back? They haven't.

by Anonymousreply 117October 1, 2021 6:16 PM

Don't forget her patting Mitch on the shoulder before she did so, r116. She was letting him know she had his back.

by Anonymousreply 118October 1, 2021 6:37 PM

Schumer was always buddying up to Trump because Schumer's Number One priority has always been Israel. Schumer must go. Majority Leader should be Amy Klobuchar and her brass balls.

by Anonymousreply 119October 1, 2021 7:08 PM

Manchin will cause Democrats to lose votes.

by Anonymousreply 120October 1, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote]Manchin has always been a shit, but Sinema is the complete antithesis of who she claimed to be and what people voted for.

The progressive senators & reps I've seen interviewed over the past week say that Manchin is at least clear about what he wants and is open to negotiation. But Sinema isn't being clear at all and seems not be taking the process seriously.

by Anonymousreply 121October 1, 2021 7:19 PM

enema is going to be primaried. She has already pissed off progressives who were the groups that got her elected, worked to get her elected. Enema is a pathological liar. And now this. She is fucked. I do not understand why she would do this to herself, and to others. People knew who she is and they HATE HER.

by Anonymousreply 122October 1, 2021 7:26 PM

they are feeling the heat, but they are sociopaths so it doesn't do much. They have to pass these bills together. The plan was to make this historic.

It is unbelievable that they are so corrupt that they would hold up this historic legislation. This bills will help the American people, we really need this. A long time coming too.

by Anonymousreply 123October 1, 2021 7:29 PM

I am getting sick of republicans running as democrats. More Republicans are stating they are going to do this. We need campaign financial reform NOW, along with the Voting rights act. We will no longer be a democracy. McConnell will nuke the filibuster next time he gets power, and then it is all over.

We need bills to prevent this, NOW. Democracy will not survive.

by Anonymousreply 124October 1, 2021 7:46 PM

Yes...It's the donors that count...not the constituents. To hell with the people that voted for these two shits, duped into believing that they were Democrats. That's what these "Democrats" are...which is what you would expect with repubs.

by Anonymousreply 125October 1, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote]Manchin is not emperor and doesn’t get to decide the budget.

Unfortunately the Democrats only have 50 votes in the Senate, so he has a lot of power to derail what he wants.

Democrats should have worked harder in 2020 to defeat low-hanging cunts like Joni Ernst and Susie Collins…and then we wouldn’t be in this position right now.

by Anonymousreply 126October 1, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote][R115], that thumbs down shit in her tutu showed what a cunt she truly is.

It sure did. I didn't know much about her before that, but when I saw that clip I was like, "Who is this bitch and why is she, as a DEMOCRAT, gleefully thumbing down something so important?" I do believe in karma. She thinks a broken foot is bad. Just wait. God don't like ugly.

by Anonymousreply 127October 1, 2021 8:21 PM

These senators want to be paid off to do the right thing, or to do the wrong thing. The republican party has already fallen, and this is seeping over to the Democratic party now. More republicans are stating that the will run for office as democrats. We have very serious problems with Democracy. We need:

Campaign Finance Reform and the voting rights act.

Democracy is hanging by a thread. We are doomed. This is fucking serious.

by Anonymousreply 128October 1, 2021 8:23 PM

I think Sinema's a nutcase. I thought she must be some dumb redneck so I looked up her Wikipedia page. She has a master's degree, a law degree, a PhD. She must be one of those very intelligent, borderline autistic people who spend half their lives in college because they have zero social skills.

by Anonymousreply 129October 1, 2021 8:24 PM

She is mental. The outfits alone make her look ridiculous and flakey.

by Anonymousreply 130October 1, 2021 8:28 PM

*flaky...^

by Anonymousreply 131October 1, 2021 8:29 PM

she is a mormon. She went to BYU, and then Arizona state (a notoriously easy school, a party school). She has lied repeatedly to progressives organizations, using them to get elected. It s really shocking. These progressives are pissed. They know she lied to them. She will be primaried. I am so sick of this traitor clown already.

by Anonymousreply 132October 1, 2021 9:22 PM

But he gives MORE MONEY to fossil fuel companies and 4profit military contractors. His statements do not make any sense.

by Anonymousreply 133October 1, 2021 9:25 PM

She didn’t waste anytime cashing in personally on her position. Usually they wait a few cycles.

by Anonymousreply 134October 1, 2021 9:28 PM

He gives money to those orgs because he is a Republican. He is a Democrat in name only. The Ossoff/Warnock wins were needed, but if Jaime Harrison and another Democrat had won the seats still occupied by the dubiously re-elected Susan Collins and La Senatrice, then Manchin and Sienna would have been neutered.

by Anonymousreply 135October 1, 2021 9:32 PM

i read or heard somewhere that manchin is sick of the republicans, and being threated all the time by billionaire donors. I want to know more about this. I am hoping he want out of the evil cabal of traitors.

by Anonymousreply 136October 1, 2021 9:33 PM

He has given more money to the fossil fuel companies and 4profit contractors. It is not about the money. We all know this. He wants to give money to billionaires. This guy is so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 137October 1, 2021 9:35 PM

And thankfully, he’s a Democrat. Long may he live … and continue to represent deep-red West Virginia in the US Senate.

by Anonymousreply 138October 1, 2021 9:41 PM

Manchin collects a ton of money from coal...from stock investments. It isn't in his best interest to be voting for climate and energy reforms. A classic example of conflict of interest..plus, money from his big donors in that industry.

by Anonymousreply 139October 1, 2021 9:45 PM

there are going to be more manchin/enemas, if we do not pass:

Campaign Finance Reform and Voting Rights Act, along with Build Back Better.

by Anonymousreply 140October 1, 2021 9:59 PM

Sinema's an ex Mormon. She was originally a member of the Green Party.

by Anonymousreply 141October 1, 2021 11:36 PM

I think it's more the recent election where progressive groups worked to get her elected. She lied the whole time to them. She claimed she was progressive. Now, she is derailing Biden's Moderate Agenda. She is not progressive like she claimed, she isn't even a democrat. She is derailing the President's Agenda. This is such a betrayal. She is fucking over the American people. RIGHT NOW, cause they are throwing her a corporate whore party. It's vile.

by Anonymousreply 142October 1, 2021 11:46 PM

Oh god the Green Party? So she is of the Jill Stein ilk? How did she get through the primaries unvetted? She was the republicans/foreigners nuclear option in case democrats won back the senate and White House.

Has she made any overseas trips lately? So the wacky clothes and the liberal persona were all an act? With props and everything. This was a foreign operation just like Stein/Tulis Gabbard

by Anonymousreply 143October 1, 2021 11:49 PM

Keep giving us tea on Kristin.

by Anonymousreply 144October 1, 2021 11:49 PM

So what is the update?

It looks like they still want the build back better agenda together. Manchin and Enema do not look good pulling this. And they are saying stupid shit. Telling everyone that you are stupid and do not deserve your job aint a good thing. There are repercussion for this.

by Anonymousreply 145October 1, 2021 11:52 PM

She seems like she's not wrapped too tight, like she could go alt-right on a dime. As for Joe Manchin, fuck that pig. I wish someone would leak a sextape of him getting nailed by a T-girl.

by Anonymousreply 146October 1, 2021 11:53 PM

WVU Delt.

by Anonymousreply 147October 1, 2021 11:53 PM

Is anyone else thinking more along the lines of foreign puppet than flakey? I’m afraid people might miss the former while focusing on the ladder, which could be just an artificial persona meant to distract.

She has a PHD afterall. Are we sure she is American?

by Anonymousreply 148October 1, 2021 11:56 PM

Interesting...^^

by Anonymousreply 149October 1, 2021 11:59 PM

The green party is a HUGE red flag. Stay on it sleuths. Keep it coming.

by Anonymousreply 150October 2, 2021 12:03 AM

I think she's mentally ill, frankly. Those comments at the elevator. Maybe bipolar. Would explain a lot.

by Anonymousreply 151October 2, 2021 12:07 AM

Can’t she sit down and give the American people a full interview? She is supposed to be answering to the people anyway. She and Joe need to do a town hall. These are Uniates states senators and they are acting like they are above the American people.

by Anonymousreply 152October 2, 2021 12:10 AM

These Green Party sketchy characters never smile because they have an alternative agenda than what they claim so it’s hard to keep it all straight. They can never relax. Always awkward and “off” seeming. A bunch of foreign money and operatives in that camp.

by Anonymousreply 153October 2, 2021 12:11 AM

she is a mormon and went to BYU. Then she went to Arizona state, a easy, party school.

by Anonymousreply 154October 2, 2021 12:12 AM

He’s a red state Democrat. The media has no choice but to play nice.

by Anonymousreply 155October 2, 2021 12:13 AM

What? he is unpopular. He is going to get primaried. The republicans will run dangerous qanon psycho. The progressive candidate may win. IN nay case everyone hates manchin, so he is gone.

by Anonymousreply 156October 2, 2021 12:20 AM

Republicans do not like manchin, they are into qanon psychos. He has pissed off dems for too long. The dude is toast. We have to primary him.

by Anonymousreply 157October 2, 2021 12:23 AM

It is not a smart idea to mouth-out stupid when everyone already HATES YOU.

by Anonymousreply 158October 2, 2021 12:26 AM

This will ruin his legacy. He is such a clumsy hard head.

by Anonymousreply 159October 2, 2021 12:26 AM

She's attempting Miss Magnuson's *Making Mr. Right* look in a mediocre manner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 2, 2021 12:37 AM

R151 And I'M in a conservatorship. LOL

by Anonymousreply 161October 2, 2021 12:50 AM

If you're all so sure McConnell will be back in power, why the fuck should we remove the filibuster? Note that McConnell WAS in power and DIDN'T get rid of it. In almost every mid-term election, the President's party loses seats. Which means removing the filibuster means we're handing MORE power to Republicans in 1.5 years.

All this blather about how right-wing Manchin is seems to ignore the fact that he's probably the most liberal politician we're going to see elected from West Virginia. By pressing him to retire or resign, you're handing the Senate back the Republicans. At least Manchin votes with his party some of the time - his likely replacement will not even do that.

by Anonymousreply 162October 2, 2021 1:48 AM

to pass campaign finance reform, voting rights act, build back better. To protect against what the republicans will do next.

by Anonymousreply 163October 2, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote] If you're all so sure McConnell will be back in power, why the fuck should we remove the filibuster? Note that McConnell WAS in power and DIDN'T get rid of it

McConnell didn't need to get rid of the filibuster to get what he wanted done, he knew he would need to get rid of the filibuster for Supreme Court nominees so he got rid of it for that.

McConnell got all the legislation he wanted passed with Democratic Party help, because Democrats will do the responsible thing like raising the debt limit, Republicans won't. They would rather burn it all down. Especially if they can blame the Democrats when the Republicans burn it down.

by Anonymousreply 164October 2, 2021 2:04 AM

Give McConnell a 50-50 senate with a Republican VP and that filibuster will be gone.

by Anonymousreply 165October 2, 2021 2:06 AM

Elton has a current hit song with Dua Lipa. He knows what it takes to be successful now

by Anonymousreply 166October 2, 2021 2:18 AM

The difference is that what the Republicans want to do doesn’t have popular support. Except for lowering taxes, something they can do in reconciliation. So now that judges aren’t subject to filibuster, they don’t have the same motivation to repeal what’s left of the filibuster.

by Anonymousreply 167October 2, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote]West Virginians are kayaking to Joe Manchin's yacht and demanding he explain why he's stopping the reconciliation bill from advancing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168October 3, 2021 4:22 AM

[quote] West Virginians are kayaking to Joe Manchin's yacht

Maybe but I wonder how many carry out of state drivers' licenses

by Anonymousreply 169October 3, 2021 4:44 AM

Great work from The Daily Show:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 3, 2021 1:53 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 3, 2021 2:12 PM

Fortunately, his seat's not up until '24. Hopefully, he'll make it, because we're not apt to get another democratic Senator from West Virginia in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 172October 3, 2021 2:55 PM

In a 50-50 Senate, it was political malpractice of Biden to propose something without first getting Manchin’s buy-in.

by Anonymousreply 173October 5, 2021 3:05 AM

If Manchin insists that the Hyde Amendment be included in the budget, the Dems will have no choice but to cave on this.

by Anonymousreply 174October 5, 2021 12:21 PM

Progressives again blocking the infrastructure bill

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175October 5, 2021 12:30 PM

I don't mess with social media but I wonder if those who do that also pay attention to politics could bring attention to this kind of thing by working to trend "Joe Manchin is corrupt AF" and list all the reasons that is true. We the people could perhaps turn tables if we used social media the way Trump did. All it takes is for enough Tweeters and Instajunkies to start the tide.

by Anonymousreply 176October 5, 2021 12:38 PM

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 177October 5, 2021 12:42 PM

Yes, let's do all we can to make Manchin a latter-day Ben Nighthorse Campbell, and thus make McConnell majority leader. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 178October 5, 2021 12:52 PM

McConnel already is the majority leader in practice.

by Anonymousreply 179October 5, 2021 12:54 PM

[quote] McConnel already is the majority leader in practice.

“There’s no bargaining,” said Senator Angus King of Maine, a moderate independent. “They’re just stamping their feet and saying no.”

He added, “It’s a qualitatively new level of irresponsibility.”

With no overt policy demands to be met as the price for cooperation, Democrats say the chaos is the point — or at least a vague hope that the latest legislative crisis will somehow undermine their ability to fulfill unrelated parts of Mr. Biden’s agenda, especially an expansive bill to combat climate change and reweave the fraying so

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 5, 2021 1:03 PM

R179, we wouldn't be in the position of negotiating for Biden's reconciliation package, some $1.5-$3.5 trillion in scope, if that were true. And we also wouldn't be badgering Breyer to retire.

by Anonymousreply 181October 5, 2021 1:03 PM

r156 Trump won West Virginia by 40%. If you think a progressive's ever going to be elected there, you're demented.

And I do wish Gooey Eyes Jayapal would occasionally STFU.

by Anonymousreply 182October 5, 2021 7:15 PM

R179 is not smart

by Anonymousreply 183October 5, 2021 7:51 PM

R175, you're just tiresome. You're that asshole who screams about the jaywalker who tries to rescue a stray puppy and ignores the drunk driver who just killed a bunch of people.

Progressives are not the fucking problem. They haven't asked for a single fucking thing NOT in Biden's plan. The Republicans and those two whores who spread their legs for Republicans are the actual and only problem.

by Anonymousreply 184October 6, 2021 12:47 AM

The Hill has an story out now that Manchin will agree to a deal between $1.9-2.2 trillion. Bless the gods for him!

by Anonymousreply 185October 6, 2021 12:56 AM

There is a massive oil leak in the pacific ocean, off the California Coast because a fucked up Oil Pipeline Operator (Beta Offshore/Amplify Energy) did not do repairs and required maintenance . They have a recent history of environmental and hazard violations too.

Is Manchin really going to take money from these evil cunts during a massive ecological disaster that the Fossil Fuel Company DID CAUSE?

We need Build Back Better Agenda to pass, with all Climate Change measure in it. This could have already passed, if not for Manchin and Sinema.

by Anonymousreply 186October 6, 2021 1:12 AM

-Fossil Fuels is heating the plant to unsustainable levels, which is causing mass extinctions.

-There is a Climate Crisis happening NOW because of Fossil Fuel Companies.

-Solar and Renewable Energy is superior.

-Fossil Fuels cause enormous amount of Ecological Damage, killing wildlife and contamination of water and land.

WE NEED BUILD BACK BETTER to PASS NOW!

by Anonymousreply 187October 6, 2021 1:16 AM

Aside from chasing the mythical creature "bipartisanship"...nobody looks their best chewing gum.

Ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188October 8, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote] There is a massive oil leak in the pacific ocean, off the California Coast because a fucked up Oil Pipeline Operator (Beta Offshore/Amplify Energy) did not do repairs and required maintenance .

No and no. The spillage amounted to about ten days worth of the natural seepage from the offshore deposits in that area. And per CNN the pipeline had been struck and punctured by something strong enough to drag the pipe off its concrete base and a hundred feet to the side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189October 8, 2021 3:29 AM

Apparently, nobody in West Virginia wants to work

[quote] This will be the fourth lawsuit from the former lawmaker regarding the governor’s residency. Sponaugle’s initial petition for a lawsuit was thrown out because the lawmaker allegedly didn’t provide the state advanced notice of the lawsuit in Sept. 2018. The second was dismissed on a technicality because the governor’s lawyers claimed the constitution didn’t define “reside” and said Justice’s use of the mansion complied with the constitution. A hearing for a third suit was initially set in 2019 and ended with the agreement earlier this year.

[quote] “Jim Justice hasn’t lived up to his word that he would reside at the seat of government,” Sponaugle said. “It’s his choice on how this will proceed, but he will reside at the seat of government, either voluntarily or involuntarily, as long as he remains governor of the state of West Virginia.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190October 8, 2021 3:58 AM

I really don't understand how Manchin's colleagues are able to resist strangling him every single time he opens his big fucking mouth. He is a fucking disgrace. He will usher in the fourth reich in this country because of his hell bent insistence on preserving the filibuster. We're living in the American version of the Weimar Republic. History won't be kind to this fucker or Sinema.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 8, 2021 4:21 AM

Remember, even if the filibuster is removed, you need 50 votes. Sinema and Manchin and anyone else would veto power. Lesson: win elections.

by Anonymousreply 192October 8, 2021 11:59 AM

Huh, R192? You don't get to the removal of the filibuster now without their votes.

by Anonymousreply 193October 8, 2021 12:32 PM

If Republicans thumb their nose at the constitution, why can't we? We need to abolish the Senate in its current form. It does not represent the American people. It is a false representation.

That four red states have eight senators when they have a combined pop. that is 1/10th of CA, is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 194October 8, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote]Lesson: win elections.

And then watch a red state legislature overturn it and install their own selection.

by Anonymousreply 195October 8, 2021 3:04 PM

R195 why is why Biden needs to stop fucking around with fucking infrastructure and fucking free child care and goodies for lefties and get voting rights passed. 38 states have enacted voter suppression legislation.

by Anonymousreply 196October 8, 2021 3:39 PM

R196, if he doesn't given them something for which to vote, voter suppression is kinda redundant, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 197October 8, 2021 7:21 PM

Sinema being quirky and evasive again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198October 8, 2021 7:24 PM

Manchin appalled by Schumer tantrum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 8, 2021 9:17 PM

But never showed that reaction to Republicans' fraud or trying to take away the vote or McConnell's constant, toxic lies.

Scumbag, corrupt hick.

by Anonymousreply 200October 8, 2021 9:42 PM

Ban lobbyist. They are NOT is the constitution. Manchin and sinema are so hated now.

by Anonymousreply 201October 8, 2021 10:57 PM

All you need to know about this shit. His cunt daughter of Mylan/epipen fame:

In 2007, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that Bresch [Manchin's daughter]had claimed to have an MBA degree from West Virginia University, but the university disputed that.[11] The university subsequently awarded her an EMBA despite her having completed only 26 of the required 48 credits. Her father was governor of the state of West Virginia at the time.[12]

In the ensuing controversy, the university announced in April 2008 that it would rescind Bresch's degree. Michael Garrison, WVU president at the time, was reported to be "a family friend and former business associate of Bresch" and a former consultant and lobbyist for Mylan.[11][13] After a faculty vote of no confidence, Garrison and several university officials subsequently resigned.[12][14]

by Anonymousreply 202October 9, 2021 1:58 AM

John Harwood:

[quote] The GOP, which shielded Trump from accountability and whitewashed a violent insurrection against democracy, struggled tonight to get one-fifth of its 50 senators to permit a vote allowing Democrats to save the economy from a calamitous threat it contrived for political advantage

[quote] Republicans considered mustering 11 of 50 senators to let Democrats defuse their economic threat a huge favor to Democrats, as opposed to their obligation to the country

[quote] Their feeling of entitlement to deploy that threat is why Schumer's criticism so offended them

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203October 9, 2021 2:21 AM

Despite it all, he's a gift from heaven.

by Anonymousreply 204October 9, 2021 11:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!