Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Viola Davis take Angela Bassett’s career?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2021 9:20 AM

There can be more than one black woman in Hollywood, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2021 4:04 AM

Echoing what R1 said, and adding that they're nothing alike other than the fact that they're both black women.

They're not the same type at all.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2021 4:32 AM

But Viola never gets her just rewards. Just ask her.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2021 5:02 AM

Viola is the greatest victim of all time and a cunt to anyone who works for her, especially the crews. Monster Majeure.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2021 7:04 AM

Weird, because I worked with her a few years back and she was super nice to me and to two of my friends on the crew at different times. (We weren't all, always working the same day.)

Also there's a particular person that works with her on everything she does, she was also incredibly kind!

Maybe it was you, R4?

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2021 10:15 AM

Bassett was the great hope to have a serious black actress who was also commercial. She had a few prominent roles but Viola showed up with more gravitas and stole Bassett's thunder.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2021 3:13 PM

[quote] There can be more than one black woman in Hollywood, OP.

Sure, there can be but Hollywood is the king of tokenism.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2021 3:14 PM

They both stole my career!

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2021 3:41 PM

Angela Bassett is a beautiful woman. And talented.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2021 4:33 PM

Angela Bassett has beautiful bone structure.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2021 4:34 PM

Miss Angela Bassett is doing quite well in her career and looks younger and prettier than all those other bitches, thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2021 5:13 PM

I do like Viola, but Getting Away With Murder got so tedious by the last few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2021 5:22 PM

I think Angela's workout regime ruined her career. What's up with all the muscles?

It totally took me out of the Tina Turner bio. Tina was never buff. Angela especially got ripped for it.

Then she continued to take roles emphasizing her looks. You had to play maids and stuff to get in prestige films like Viola did. Can you picture Angela in Doubt? The nun would have said don't you have a Vogue cover to shoot? Why are you bothering me.

by Anonymousreply 13September 21, 2021 4:48 AM

I knew Angela was a bad bitch and a force to be reckoned with when I first saw her in The Jackson Five miniseries. She acted her fucking ass off as Katharine Jackson, especially in the scene when she discovered Joe was cheating on her.

There were a lot of amateurish performances from actors who played The Jackson Five as adults. But Angela's performance (along with Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs and Jason Weaver) elevated it to something greater than it should've been.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 21, 2021 4:55 AM

R9 seeing her at the Emmys, I was taken aback by her stunning beauty, & how great she looks for her age, she’s amazing!

by Anonymousreply 15September 21, 2021 6:58 AM

Angela never really a big star. She really was just a steadily working actress and doing a damn good job when she can land good material. It some ways she helped clear the path that helped Viola become a bigger star. A like both of them bot Viola does snot work better.

by Anonymousreply 16September 21, 2021 7:16 AM

Angela never got a shot at the deep, "my life is so tedious" roles that Viola thrives in,

Both are excellent actresses of course. I believe both are Yale Drama School graduates.

by Anonymousreply 17September 21, 2021 1:47 PM

Uh, Angela Bassett is making 450K an episode for 911, making her one of the highest paid woman on television right now. Throw in an additional 5-10 million bucks for her endorsements and she's doing just fine. Then again, I'm sure all you bitches here are positively thriving in comparison in your own careers.

by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2021 1:57 PM

Just 450k an episode?

Amateur

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2021 7:43 PM

Angela is a very limited actress. She didn't go further because she gives the same performance in everything she does. Plus she's rumored to be a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2021 7:46 PM

R20, Viola gives the same performance too, but she talks slow and cries alot, so we thinks it's deep.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2021 7:50 PM

r9, This is for you...gorgeous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2021 7:55 PM

r17 I went to Julliard!!! See how I suffer. Yale!! I did better than that and no one notices!!!

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2021 8:48 PM

Angela is more of a movie star actor and Viola is a classical character actor.

Angela is more Julie Christie and Viola is more Judi Dench.

I can't imagine Angela doing The Help, Doubt or Fences, but she would have made a fine Ma Rainey.

And I can't imagine Viola doing What's Love Got To Do With It, Strange Days or Waiting To Exhale but she'd have had fun as Marie Laveau in AHS Coven.

But Octavia Spencer is far more interesting an actor to me than Viola or Angela.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2021 9:10 PM

Viola cries better

by Anonymousreply 25September 23, 2021 2:45 PM

I could imagine Viola playing Oprah but not Angela.

by Anonymousreply 26December 26, 2021 9:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!