Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

side effects of taking prep???

I want to start taking these pills but I am worried about its side effects. if i go to my doctor should I ask him for a liver test first and then start taking the medication? and what is the level of protection that it could give me if I only do oral sex and not anal?

by Anonymousreply 98September 28, 2021 7:05 PM

Go to your doctor and tell them you want to go on PrEP. He'll go over the side effects and testing regimen you'll have to follow. They'll even be able to clue you in regarding oral v. anal risk But consider this: the side effect of not taking PrEP and having unprotected sex is possible (if not probable) acquisition of HIV.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2021 6:32 PM

Why on earth would you take PrEP if you're only doing oral? I'd be more concerned with the PrEP side effects than with the negligible chance of contracting HIV via oral sex.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2021 6:37 PM

r2 because sometimes when I brush my teeth my gums bleed, so im scared of oral sex too.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2021 7:15 PM

Chlorhexidine mouthwash is your friend, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2021 7:20 PM

Floss and use a waterpik.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2021 7:23 PM

Screw you r1. Nobody wants to hear the technical side effects. People want to hear the REAL side effects from users.

But no one has EVER answered that question on dL. What side effects have YOU experienced. That is the question but there will be no answers. If creepy af if you ask me. No other question goes unanswered in here. All you will get is r1: ask your doctor

Why won’t any patients step up and answer the damn question? It’s bizarre, to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2021 7:25 PM

OP, your doctor is going to do those tests without your asking and will (or should) have you come in regularly to have blood work done to make sure your liver and kidneys are okay.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2021 7:36 PM

My cousins friend in Trinidad took prep and his balls are now the size of basketballs

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2021 7:56 PM

If the top is taking prep, can he still give HIV to the bottom, if the bottom is not on prep?

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2021 10:50 PM

R6 the reason that nobody has talked about side effects is that nobody is experiencing side effects in any meaningful quantity. R1’s approach is correct in that this conversation is to be had with a doctor not strangers on the internet. That’s all you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2021 10:54 PM

R6 Jesus Christ, what crawled up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2021 10:58 PM

Gaping, dripping hole, OP.

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2021 11:01 PM

If it starts having negative effects on your liver, how would you know?

by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2021 12:22 AM

No one I know has had side effects

by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2021 12:23 AM

R1 has good advice

R6 is obviously psycho

I've never had side effects, nor have my close friends. A doctor is the best person to ask, of course.

by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2021 12:25 AM

Zero side effect here either. Except when I crack a bit fart forgetting my fuck buddy recently shot his man juice up my hole. Not a pretty sight in my knickers.

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2021 12:33 AM

OP, I would be surprised if any physician would prescribe Truvada without having ordered a liver panel, and one should retake the panel on a regular schedule thereafter.

Pretty much everyone I know is on Prep and none report any issues with the medication.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2021 12:39 AM

There is also Descovy, the second med approved for Prep. It basically has no effect on the liver at all.

You will have to have regular blood draws to get Prep which puts you ahead of almost everyone since no one ever seems to get regular check ups for anything. If you ever have sex without a condom AT ALL get on prep, all it takes is ONE time and NEVER believe anyone who says they are negative, gay men lie constantly.

by Anonymousreply 18September 20, 2021 12:50 AM

Everyone knows that PREP is toxic chemotherapy and a plot by Swiss Big Pharma, George Soros, Dr. Fauci and the CIA. You can see the crix belly and lipo it causes. Only sluts need it and they never take it correctly and lie about it. Some of these sluts have multi-drug resistant full blown aids and don't know it. Even the few who don't have full blown aids have incurable clap and other stuff. Plus it makes your dick grow foreskin and you develop a craving for ethnic cock. I have been a good boy for 35 years and only practice frontage with Saran Wrap. These PREP sluts are ruining EVERYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 19September 20, 2021 1:12 AM

So many guys think that PrEP is a free pass to get out of using condoms. Sure, they won't get HIV, but they open themselves up to a host of STIs, which can eventually mutate and become antibiotic-resistant. Is an orgasm without a condom really worth going to through all of that? I was young and hot once myself, and I scored a ton of quality cock, but I ALWAYS used a condom for anal intercourse. That's probably why I'm still alive. You can have tons of sex and still act responsibly.

by Anonymousreply 20September 20, 2021 1:24 AM

R20 You are really a role model. Thank you for this wisdom.

"but I ALWAYS used a condom for anal intercourse."

by Anonymousreply 21September 20, 2021 1:44 AM

From my observations of friends through their oversharing, the biggest side effect of taking PrEP is a mussy that looks like a roadkill possum that has been taking additional truck wheels over the course of a long hot night.

by Anonymousreply 22September 20, 2021 1:57 AM

R22 You were probably hoping to sound funny?

by Anonymousreply 23September 20, 2021 1:59 AM

R20 as has been explained a million times before, you expose yourself to that same host of STIs every time you suck dick unless you also use a condom for that (nobody does). Even if you were one of the losers that did, the fact that nobody else does means that bacterial infections will mutate regardless. So enjoy the unprotected sex and stop clutching those pearls bb. Also go talk to a doctor I think it’s advisable.

by Anonymousreply 24September 20, 2021 6:06 AM

[quote] If the top is taking prep, can he still give HIV to the bottom, if the bottom is not on prep?

No.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 6:16 AM

PrEP isn’t a concern fro the liver. It’s a bigger concern for kidneys and bone mineral density.

Those are the potential side effects. No nausea, headaches, weight gain, massive or is growth, blindness.

Just kidneys and bones.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 6:21 AM

R20 You sound like a reasonable and sensible person. What the fuck are you doing here? x

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 7:01 AM

OP is a nibby nosing woman

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 8:34 AM

Have an overarching plan as you get older, change situations or get into a relationship.

I grew up during the AIDS crisis and can say I exposed myself unnecessarily and would’ve LOVED to be able to take medication, but I was only a whore for a few years. Do you qualify for free Prep or will you have to pay out of pocket? Is the regimen you’re willing to be nonnegotiable with? Because if you miss a few pills a week or try to save it only for special occasions, it’s simply not going to protect you as well. No one should be taking this kind of precautionary medication indefinitely, make sure to follow up with your doctor and make sure it’s not going to interact with other drugs you’re already taking or if you are a weekend warrior. This is the kind of drug I would personally avoid taking if I was depressed or wanted to get high- because it would make me even more of a whore and I know myself- the emotional crash Monday morning would be greater.

If you are taking recreational drugs like meth, being on Prep you may be emboldened to take even more risks you would’ve ordinarily avoided without it. There is a genuine concern about STDs and that other guys that PNP aren’t being fully honest about taking Prep. This is the highest risk group right now for HIV, not particularly a group I would dabble with long term, or trust heavily. Certain STDs like Syphilis also make it much easier to contract HIV- this is why you need to follow the recommended dosage closely.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 9:06 AM

All prescription drugs including Prep are filtered through the liver and kidneys. It's always a risk to take things daily that you don't really need. If you drink alcohol you put even more stress on those organs. This can often increase the effect of the medication beyond safe levels. That's why many drugs say not to drink while taking the meds. This might not be true for Prep and other HIV drugs but you still have a liver and kidneys working overtime.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2021 10:45 AM

My two cents involve condoms, of course, but something that I can't believe is exceedingly overlooked, that I have used religiously since first promoted, wow, it's got to be decades ago at this point-the dental dam.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2021 11:08 AM

A problem is that with PrEP around, most tops have stopped using condoms. Sure, the older ones still do, but few under 50 do.

As a bottom, it forces you to use PrEP because otherwise you’d have a hard time finding a top to have safe sex with

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 11:13 AM

WTF is R6's problem? Psycho much??

I've been in prep for 3+ years. Not one side effect that I'm aware of. There actually isn't some grand conspiracy to not talk about side effects. The truth is that side effects are extremely rare and/or mild.

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 11:19 AM

*on prep not in prep.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 11:20 AM

I've been on Truvia for years, it really improved my sex life!

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 12:34 PM

R23 is so serious and dull.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 12:49 PM

R21 is a pompous-ass shit.

Probably a hag.

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 12:50 PM

I do the short term PrEP since covid as I'm not having relations that frequently

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 7:58 PM

r38 what is a short term prep? can you take it for six months only?

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 8:07 PM

I know guys who take weekend PrEP. If they know they'll be hooking up over the weekend, they load up on it beforehand. They call it "situational PrEP." Not sure how wise that is, or if that lessens effectiveness versus taking it on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 8:38 PM

2 the day of and one for 2 days after

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 9:04 PM

R32 are you posting from the 80s?

This whole tops/bottoms thing is fake. And not in the real world. It seems like something that straight people or people in a foreign country with no open gays would cook up.

It’s not accurate. There is no strict division of tops and bottoms in real life. Only the basement incels, clueless straights or foreign trolls would cook this up.

But I’ll make my own thread about this forced concept

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 9:09 PM

Whores are gonna do what whores are gonna do. If you can't be bothered to use a condom, then you get what you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]This whole tops/bottoms thing is fake.

LOL I have met so many gays that would disagree with this. You need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 9:13 PM

“Tops/ bottoms” is not fake. Of course it really is a continuum with lots of people in the middle, but what does it matter anyway? I don’t get what the argument is here.

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 9:17 PM

Agree with r44. I consider myself a bottom. Out of countless anal encounters over the many years (probably around 1,000), I probably topped 5 of those times. I enjoy being submissive in bed and having my stud take control. That doesn't speak to any lack of masculinity or that I don't want to be a man.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 9:18 PM

Actor Craig Chester claims that PREP gave him osteoporosis.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 9:18 PM

R16 is literally disgusting

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 9:20 PM

No he didn't. He said the drugs he was on for managing his HIV did.

by Anonymousreply 49September 20, 2021 9:21 PM

Before bottoming raw, I log onto Trulia twice- then use some Stevia*

by Anonymousreply 50September 20, 2021 9:24 PM

I'm not on PrEP. My straight married FB told me he used to take PrEP, but then had some side effects. He stopped cold turkey so that the stupid little wifey-poo wouldn't get suspicious. So now we fuck most of the time with condoms. Had some slip-ups, but we've been fairly consistent. PrEP is not for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2021 9:28 PM

Side effects? You become more if a whore.

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2021 9:33 PM

She found the 'script.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2021 9:34 PM

/of a whore

by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2021 9:34 PM

Wives of straight guys who fuck other guys on the side are so dumb and clueless. They have no idea what their mans are up to.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2021 9:38 PM

r17 Truvada is a car rental company, dumbass. Lots of guys here are obsessed with their former spokesman before he got a DUI.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2021 9:42 PM

Men are nasty

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2021 10:19 PM

Straight men are pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2021 10:21 PM

Said someone who had never had one. R58

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2021 10:44 PM

If people were using condoms, no one would getting infected anymore. There are still 35K infections each year in the US, before Prep there was 50K. That tells me Prep works, and in the UK and Australia it's an even more dramatic drop, look it up. Only the self loathing damaged gays in the US wring their hands and clutch pearls and throw judgement at others over it. It's really disgusting and even worse, disturbing. Follow the science.

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2021 11:14 PM

The advent of the internet sex sites caused str8/bi men to start seroconverting. That's when all the HIV miracle drugs started appearing. You know it's true.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2021 11:31 PM

getting filled with cum but not the aids

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2021 11:33 PM

yum!

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2021 11:35 PM

The side effect of PrEP is having tons and tons of hot sex

by Anonymousreply 64September 21, 2021 2:26 AM

Sadly, condoms didn’t even put a dent into the rate of HIV infection. People just didn’t use them consistently. Tops begged not to wear condoms and bottoms, in the heat of the moment, said okay.

PrEP allows the bottom to be in control of whether or not he gets infected with HIV. Finally

by Anonymousreply 65September 21, 2021 2:28 AM

Condoms suck. I know they were necessary but they dampened the sexual experience alot

by Anonymousreply 66September 21, 2021 2:30 AM

What a bunch of whiny condom snowflakes. MY EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 67September 21, 2021 4:59 AM

condoms always kill my hardon. I HATE them

by Anonymousreply 68September 21, 2021 1:51 PM

Count me in as another who steers clear of condoms. Me and my husband have I guess what you'd call an open relationship. We fuck around on the side, but are honest about it. We love each other too much to lie about our need for sex outside the relationship. Anyway, neither of us is on PrEP and we never use condoms, whether it's just us or with our hookups. So far, we haven't caught anything. Life is not without risk.

by Anonymousreply 69September 21, 2021 3:06 PM

Fuck off, R67.

R69, I hope neither you nor your husband are bottoming when you’re having sex with other people. That’s where the risk of HIV transmission lies.

by Anonymousreply 70September 21, 2021 3:20 PM

How are you paying for prep? Does any insurance cover the cost?

by Anonymousreply 71September 21, 2021 3:25 PM

Condoms and prep are for loosers. Nature intended sex to be natural, not with latex or medicines with known side affects. That's all fake BS. You can't enjoy sex if you have to prepare so much for it, and sex was mean to be enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 72September 21, 2021 3:31 PM

I agree that sex was meant to be natural and bareback, R72. Imagine: all of us here—and all the people who are alive now in the world, or who have ever lived— are the product of raw, condomless, PrEP-less sex! (our own parents did that! Can you even imagine the depravity?)

But the reality is, HIV is among us, and until there’s a vaccine for it (mRNA tech could get us there soon-ish), PrEP or the dreaded rubber is necessary.

For bottoms, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 73September 21, 2021 3:36 PM

Don't fool yourself. Tops get HIV too. In fact, the world over there's far more transmission during straight sex than gay sex

by Anonymousreply 74September 21, 2021 4:06 PM

R69, you two should at least do "weekend" or "situational" PrEP which has been found to be very effective against HIV transmission.

Take two pills at least one hour before sex, then pill 24 hours later and another pill 24 hours later. If you continue to have sex, just keep taking a pill daily until at least 24 hour after the last session.

by Anonymousreply 75September 21, 2021 4:09 PM

[quote] there's far more transmission during straight sex than gay sex

R74 jesus. Only because there are far more straight people. Proportionally per population it’s more common in gay social groups and spreads more easily through anal sex rather than vaginal sex. Some of you guys are wild in how undereducated you are about HIV / AIDs.

by Anonymousreply 76September 21, 2021 4:17 PM

Okay, R74, I’ll be sure not to fuck any women abroad without a condom then.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote] nly because there are far more straight people. Proportionally per population it’s more common in gay social groups and spreads more easily through anal sex rather than vaginal sex. Some of you guys are wild in how undereducated you are about HIV / AIDs.

Because gay men have far more partners than straight men.

by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote] Only because there are far more straight people. Proportionally per population it’s more common in gay social groups and spreads more easily through anal sex rather than vaginal sex. Some of you guys are wild in how undereducated you are about HIV / AIDs.

Actually, men get HIV from vaginas. Uncut men are more susceptible but cut men get it too.

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote] Actually, men get HIV from vaginas. Uncut men are more susceptible but cut men get it too.

It’s very low risk. Like, extremely so. Both the act and the probability that a woman would be infected is lower than a gay man. So no, you’re not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2021 8:28 PM

Talk to your doctor about Descovy for prep instead of Truvada. Descovy is easier on your system.

by Anonymousreply 81September 21, 2021 8:31 PM

ok, hot trevor!

by Anonymousreply 82September 21, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] It’s very low risk. Like, extremely so. Both the act and the probability that a woman would be infected is lower than a gay man. So no, you’re not saying much.

It's lower risk than in gay sex but certainly not "very low risk." Again, HIV is mainly a straight sex disease if you look at the whole world. Certainly there are more straight people, but it's not miniscule percentages.

by Anonymousreply 83September 21, 2021 8:39 PM

"Vaginal sex is one of the primary ways a person can become infected with HIV. According to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, it accounts for about 6,300 new infections among women each year in the U.S. and about 2,800 new infections among heterosexual men.

Globally, the figures are even more dismaying. While the sexual transmission of HIV in the U.S. is highest among gay and bisexual men (representing about 26,000 of all new infections per year), heterosexuals are by far the group most affected worldwide.

This is especially true in Africa where most new infections are among heterosexuals. In these populations, vaginal sex is the predominant route of infection. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 21, 2021 8:42 PM

The only side effect my friends all seem to have had in common was an upset stomach until their bodies got used to it.

So no bottoming for a week or two.

by Anonymousreply 85September 21, 2021 8:42 PM

When I first started PrEP, I did vomit a few times. Then everything settled and it doesn’t cause any problems now, except for getting fucked by huge cocks bareback

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2021 2:57 AM

dirty twitter?

by Anonymousreply 87September 22, 2021 2:58 AM

R72 "loosers"

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 88September 22, 2021 3:00 AM

R71 Prep is free - at least in large cities. Look online.

by Anonymousreply 89September 22, 2021 3:01 AM

R83 / R84 the risk to a man from vaginal sex is extremely low risk.

by Anonymousreply 90September 22, 2021 3:02 AM

R89, PrEP is free with insurance and if you are uninsured. If you have insurance and don’t want to use it, however, it is full price.

by Anonymousreply 91September 22, 2021 10:52 AM

I have a married FB who would like to go on PrEP but he doesn't want to ask his Dr (who knows his wife) and doesn't want to use his insurance (and because wife might see it).

Don't judge.

Any hope for this guy to get cheap/free PrEP?

by Anonymousreply 92September 22, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote] the risk to a man from vaginal sex is extremely low risk.

It's higher if man is uc

by Anonymousreply 93September 22, 2021 8:18 PM

R93 still extremely low whichever way you twist it.

by Anonymousreply 94September 22, 2021 9:05 PM

I'm glad I'm a top who doesn't mind condoms.

by Anonymousreply 95September 22, 2021 10:05 PM

honey, your hubby may not be a top.

by Anonymousreply 96September 22, 2021 10:08 PM

How trustworthy are foreign mail-order pharmacies when it comes to finding cheap PrEP?

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2021 2:43 PM

Side effects? How about low standards and regret.

by Anonymousreply 98September 28, 2021 7:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!