Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is everyone drinking fucking beet juice?

Convince me it doesn't taste like shit.

(And is it really THAT good for you?)

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 3:20 PM

Beets are vile in all forms: Borscht, dried beet chips, raw, pickled, juiced, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1September 19, 2021 2:40 PM

Because they've been beating off.

by Anonymousreply 2September 19, 2021 2:42 PM

Borscht is not the president of Poland you know.

by Anonymousreply 3September 19, 2021 2:43 PM

Long ago I worked at UC San Francisco Med Ctr. There was a nurse that swore by beet juice enemas. She did them every other day and regaled us with stories of good health in the lounge room. As Barney Fife would say, she was a nut.

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2021 2:43 PM

Beet juice is supposed to be a natural way to reduce high blood pressure. Whilst preliminary studies show it does this, it is far from confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2021 2:44 PM

I can’t wait for beets to go back out of fashion.

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2021 2:44 PM

they are tasty in salads.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2021 2:59 PM

I'm with R1! Hold my nose drinking V8 as I can taste the beet juice in it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2021 3:00 PM

Schrute Farms has the Best. Beets.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2021 3:00 PM

They taste like shit - the end.

by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2021 3:01 PM

I blame Debbie Harry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2021 3:05 PM

Gross

by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2021 3:06 PM

Beets taste the way soil smells. They don’t taste “like shit.”

Anyway, I love borscht, I love beets in salads, I love a beet-and-goat-cheese side dish… but drinking beet juice? I don’t know. That’s a lot of sugar. Wouldn’t it be better just to take medication if the goal is to lower BP?

by Anonymousreply 13September 19, 2021 3:06 PM

To quote the younger ones:

Ewwww!

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2021 3:10 PM

Supposedly good for gallbladder in addition to blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2021 3:15 PM

Beets contain choline which is good for memory. When I was in college in their was a fad of taking choline to enhance memory retention for exams. When taking choline, your dreams are amazing (or at least you remember them in vivid color.)

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2021 3:22 PM

^ And I love beets!

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2021 3:22 PM

R16, I forgot about that.

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2021 3:23 PM

There, not their.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2021 3:23 PM

They turn your poo purple!

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Yeah....just remember, when you see your urine and poo red, don't be alarmed. It takes a couple of days for the red to get out of your system. Eating beets does that.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2021 3:45 PM

I like beets in salads, but I like when they're cold....marinated in vinegar (applie cider) with salt and pepper. It's good to add onions, too...let it sit for a few days.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2021 3:47 PM

*apple cider ^^

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2021 3:48 PM

Beets, along with Spinach and Asparagus, are among my favorite vegetables. They are earthy and can make a substantial meal by themselves.

Now I’m hungry for roasted beets!

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2021 3:48 PM

The same reason they are oat bran and drank kamboucha.

They think they can escape death.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2021 3:55 PM

^*ate oat bran

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2021 3:55 PM

Have you ever tried Golden Beets? They are to red beets what champagne is to burgundy wine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2021 4:33 PM

thank you for the info, I will try it!

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2021 4:34 PM

canned beets OK to eat or no?

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2021 4:34 PM

R29 - Glass jars are better

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2021 4:43 PM

Pickled beets, i quit buying them because when i opened the jar, i would eat them all in ten minutes time

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2021 4:54 PM

R5 Some claim they can help lowering Triglycerides as well. I've tried the Superbeets product, and it's delicious. It tastes nothing like beets; rather it tastes like Kool-Aid. I add this to smoothies and green juices. This thread has reminded me I need to get more. The beet greens are very nutritious as well.

I eat beets roasted, in salads, pickled, and love a good Borscht.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2021 7:13 PM

SuperBeets powder sounds too good to be true.

What the hell, I’ll try it.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2021 7:17 PM

R33 L'Chaim; to your health! Hope you enjoy it. It's an excellent non-acidic source of Vitamin C if nothing more. I have taken myself off BP meds, but cannot attribute it all to their product. I've made lifestyle changes.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2021 7:23 PM

If you want to put in the effort, I would recommend getting a juicer. Beet juice is pretty easy, raw beets, oranges, and maybe some ginger/turmeric. DEE-LISH! And you can make all kinds of other juices too--the only drawback is that it is time consuming to cut up all of the fruits/veggies you're juicing and the mess to cleanup. When I get in my juicing modes, I try and make enough for a week at a time. And it has the added benefit of not purchasing store bought juice that is in a plastic container that has to be recycled/thrown away!

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2021 10:19 PM

yes, I was into juicing too but the clean up was a fucking headache. The juicer I bought was 400 bucks. Now it collects dust.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2021 10:26 PM

Juicing makes a huge mess and basically leaves you with glasses of fructose. Juicing, for the latter reason, is not particularly healthy. It’s better to actually eat the fruit and vegetables whole instead of just drinking the juice, which will make you fat.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2021 10:36 PM

We eat them in Switzerland. They are sold precooked in shrink wrap in the refrigerator section. They are delicious in summer for a cold salad. They also make a simple salad with endives. They are a primary raw material of sugar. There are freight trains dozens of cars long filled with GIANT sugar beets. there is nothing wrong with beets. You are probably eating them prepared terribly.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2021 10:41 PM

Duh, because of the movie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2021 10:44 PM

R37 That only happens with people who do not like or cannot tolerate the taste of vegetables. Celery, Spinach, Watercress, Carrot, Beet Greens, and a few berries isn't the same as a glass of Fructose. Wheatgrass, Carrot, Celery, Tomato, and an Apple isn't just Fructose either, it's micronutrients, Chlorophyll, Vitamins, Polyphenols, and Potassium, and Beta Carotene.

I've never gained weight from juicing, and it's help lower my BP. Try those combos and you shall see. I actually effortlessly began dropping weight once I bought a Vitamix. I'm not removing and tossing out fibre as other machines do.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2021 11:44 PM

r40

Wow you really don't know what you're talking about. You just read some label in a vitamin store and flushed your money away.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 1:51 PM

R41 It works for me, so that's my empirical evidence. Green nuices are healthy, and acceptable even on a Keto plan. I was deficient in K+, hypertensive, and the antihypertensive drug was causing me to excrete even more electrolytes, especially K+. Having these juices three or four times a week have made it extremely easy for me to obtain tbe Potassium needed to lower my BP. I'm off all the meds now. You can't argue with that. Juice shouldn't be solely from fruits.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 11:41 PM

^I'll also add that it's much easier, and more convenient to juice and liquify 5-6 cups of greens and vegetables than it is to sit and eat them as salads, and cooked greens.

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 11:43 PM

R42, what the fuck is a "nuice"?

by Anonymousreply 44September 21, 2021 12:33 AM

R44 It's a typo. JUICE, BABY! Sadly taking the juice doesn' cure errant typing.

by Anonymousreply 45September 21, 2021 3:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!