Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pork Chops

How do you make yours? What seasonings do you use?

I’ve never ever made them before (only eat them if I buy them from a restaurant or if someone makes them) but decided to buy a pack. I realized I didn’t know what to do with them today and threw together a bunch of ingredients and threw them in the air fryer.

I’m shocked, they came out good!!!! The pic below is them not done yet, that was halfway and I added more seasoning on top.

How do you make yours?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 18, 2021 9:46 PM

I don’t eat pork. Not healthy

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 10:33 PM

Drain your pork chops.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 10:34 PM

Even though you're using an air fryer

you type kind of fat

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 10:36 PM

R3 because I made myself dinner? Do you not eat?

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 10:45 PM

Not ashamed to say it.

Shake and Bake every time and bake.

They turn out very well.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 10:46 PM

R5 I have that in my cabinet! I may try that next time

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 10:48 PM

I let the maid cook them. They always turn out shwell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 10:49 PM

Season the chops, brown in pan, add some onions or shallots, spices and wine/water - stuff to make a sauce. Bring it to a simmer, toss the chops back in. Then lid it and quit it for as long as it takes them to cook through. Depends how thick they are and what temp you cook them.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 10:53 PM

It's come to this.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 10:58 PM

I know this isn’t very DL-like of me, but I’m with r5.

Plus, because that’s how my mother used to make them, it’s a little nostalgic, too.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 11:08 PM

Smothered in a wine & caper sauce.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 11:10 PM

Pork chops with vinegar peppers and potatoes. Oven top sautéed and grill then finished in the broiler just like my Nanny used to make. They don’t taste as good as hers did but I try. Miss her. 🥲

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 11:18 PM

My four pork chops preparations:

With white wine sauce from [italic]The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook[/italic]

breaded, sauteed, with horseradish & whipping cream [italic]Umberto Menghi[/italic]

With sour cream, vinegar, water, and clove powder

baked, with a slice of lemon on each chop, covered with a mixture of equal parts water and ketchup

latter two methods are in Duncan Hines [italic]Adventures in Good Cooking[/italic]: Baked Savory Pork Chops and Pork Chops Baked in Sour Cream

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 11:24 PM

I like thick pork chops, not the kind you usually find pre-packaged, and I grill them with absolutely no seasoning. I serve them the way my German great grandfather did…on a plate, with mashed potatoes on top, and sauerkraut on top of the potatoes, with pork gravy drizzled over the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 11:33 PM

That and those sour cream chops actually sounds really good.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 11:36 PM

Chili powder, garlic salt, ceyanne pepper...salt and pepper. Flour ...fry over med high heat...maje gravy with the drippings. Southern and good

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2021 11:37 PM

Tony Chachere's and some black pepper. They're always perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2021 11:47 PM

I like to season them with salt and pepper, then rub with Dijon mustard and fresh chopped rosemary. I let them sit for half an hour or more and then pan fry them. If I'd like a sauce, it's easy enough to deglaze the pan with white wine once the chops are done and add a few things, like more mustard, shallots, or half and half, and reduce it for a pan sauce.

Brining also works well for pork chops. I usually add some apple cider vinegar or a little maple syrup to the brine. Sage can be nice, too.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2021 11:52 PM

One packet pf yellow rice mix, some frozen green peas (three TBS), spices to taste.

3 or four chops depending on size.

9X13 glass casserole.

Pour dry rice and frozen peas into the dish and add the water called for on the packet. Place chops on top of the water, rice, and peas.

Cover with foiled and bake for 45 minutes @ 350˚. Shake some paprika on top after foiled is removed.

Dinner is done.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2021 11:53 PM

I'd probably pan fry and try to get as much drippings as possible. Then, I'd make a mushroom gravy. Mustard sounds good, too, though.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2021 11:56 PM

My mAternal Norwegian granny made them with sage. Or just season pork loin with sage, it’s great…here’s a recipe I haven’t tried but it’s pretty solidly well received

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2021 12:16 AM

Slow cooker. Pork gravy. Onion. Mashed potatoes. Seemed broccoli or Brussel sprouts. Or sliced for pocket and stuffed with stuffing, seasoned with shake bake.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2021 12:21 AM

Generous salt. Pepper and garlic powder. Brown on both sides til done. Serve topped with apricot preserves

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2021 12:39 AM

A quick sear on my Lodge cast iron grill pan. I just brush them with olive oil, and season with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, along with some fresh chopped parsley.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2021 12:43 AM

How do you make pork gravy if you grill them on a grill where you can't catch drippings r14?

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

This looks too oily, but this is how I'd like to eat pork chops - with mushroom gravy.

R26, you can't get drippings / fond / brown bits unless you use a pan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2021 12:55 AM

Exactly r27. that's why i was asking r14 how their relative made pork gravy if they grilled the pork chops instead of pan-fried them. it was a real question.

by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2021 12:59 AM

R28, some people make gravy independent of the actual meat. There are all kinds of products out there to make gravy (McCormick, Knorr). Are they as good as using pan drippings? I'd guess not.

You can also use stock (to make gravy independent of the meat), which would probably be good, though.

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2021 1:03 AM

To me eating pork is what it must be like to eat human flesh. I just can’t.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2021 1:05 AM

Amazing, always, on Frau sites such as the DL, how people ignorant of the principles of cookery must announce their "triumphs" and stimulate a general sharing that sounds like meal worms in a box eating a carrot.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2021 1:07 AM

Yeah your comment was a stellar contribution r31

This is a good soy sauce marinade:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2021 1:15 AM

R1 I agree.

Also would add that pigs are one of the most abused livestock animals and pigs are highly intelligent, more so than dogs. One of the reading that initially turned me to plant-based diet is seeing how pigs were raised. Industrial farmed pigs are fed disgusting feeds that have all sorts of plasticizers, among other things. Not a healthy meat and pig farming contributes more to greenhouse gases than poultry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Pork chops are always dry when I make them, whether fried which is almost nonexistent or baked/grilled. Someone mentioned brining, I need to try that.

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2021 1:18 AM

Do you use boneless or bone-in chops, R34? Bone-in chops will retain their juices better and generally have more flavor.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2021 1:22 AM

R32, stick with Pintrest.

We really don't need this site overrun with cookie cutter copycat mommy bloggers.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2021 1:23 AM

Me too, R5. About a year ago I went back to Shake n Bake for old times sake and there I have stayed. I now use it on chicken thighs too. That shit really does taste good, pretty much the way I remembered.

My problem is I can't find pork chops with enough fat like the old days. I buy the best I can find, heritage pork supposedly raised on pasture on the bone, center cut and still that big band of fat that used to be around the outside isn't there. Is every pig in this country on a low fat diet? This pig wants to eat pigs that have a lot of fat to make it melt in the mouth tender the way it was when I was a kid. I'm not eating pork chops as part of a healthy diet. When I eat them I want them to taste great. They're good, but not great, even with S&B.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2021 1:30 AM

I always liked stuffed pork chops but you only get like 3 pieces of stuffing in them so I buy thinner chops. I put some cream of mushroom soup (Canned or homemade) in the bottom of a baking dish. I then put the chops on it and place stuffing (I make the same stuffing as I do for my Turkey) on top of them and then add the rest of the soup over the top. I cover them with foil and bake them for 30-40 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2021 1:39 AM

[quote]We really don't need this site overrun with cookie cutter copycat mommy bloggers.

Wordy McWord, r36! I was just telling my DH that exact same thing! Love to your kiddos and your doggos! #separatedatbirth #lol

by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2021 1:45 AM

I tried Shake n Bake for the first time last year and loved it.

However, I hated the BBQ one.

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2021 1:52 AM

R32: PORK CHOP MARINADE????

See what I mean?

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2021 1:57 AM

With applesauce

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2021 2:09 AM

I like a bit of bacon on occasion and so I therefore cook pork chops on occasion as well. I don't cook pork roast and the like because that's a massive amount of pork to deal with.

Pork chops you can do Latin. As a Lesbian Latina I'll share some of our secrets.

You pound your pork and marinate with white vinegar, white sugar, limes (roll them before slicing), salt, pepper, smashed garlic, sliced onions, and honey. Use a big ass container with a good lid and place one hand over the top and one on the bottom and shake it like a Polaroid picture. Then put that container in the back of the fridge for half a day.

Then you cook. Drain it. Throw away the limes and such. Bleach the fuck out of your container or throw it away. You have to be careful with pork you know.

Get a cast iron skillet and melt some butter in it since pork chops are dry. Then you fry things on up and sprinkle a wee bit of salt and brown sugar on them as you do. Let them rest before you plate.

I serve them with white rice, fried plantains, and a salad with a robust made from scratch vinaigrette on the side as well as a bit of the bottled crap in the bottle like the trash bottled salad dressing is if I have guests.

Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2021 2:14 AM

A favorite meal, BITD, was pork chops baked in the oven after first dredging them with BBQ Shake 'n Bake(is it still available?) Birdseye used to have a frozen vegetable medley called New Orleans style(it's been so long ago I cannot remember what was in it) It was a great go-with the chops and mashed potatoes.

Saute some thick pork chops, then make a white sauce that would be suitable for biscuits and gravy(butter, flour, milk, S&P, sage, rosemary, red pepper flakes, Worcestershire sauce) Simmer the sautéed chops in the sauce until tender.

Slice onions into thick rings and bell peppers into sticks, place on top of pork chops, drizzle with olive oil and season(mixed Italian herbs is a good combo) to taste. Bake.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2021 2:48 AM

If youre going to make breaded porkchops, you have to make them the old fashioned way. You will never eat Shake and Bake again. Dredge them in flour, then an egg wash ( I add hot sauce) and then breadcrumbs (I add lots of parm cheese to the breadcrumbs. I brown them on top of the stove, then nake them in the oven for 20 minutes. Addictive...especially cold.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2021 3:09 AM

Maybe just make a pork roast with gravy. Every so often, my mom would make a pork roast. Juicy with a nice salty crust.

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2021 3:13 AM

I use room temp center cut pork chops. I season them with salt and pepper or pork chop seasoning from Penzeys. Preheat the oven to 400°. Sear each side of chop for two minutes each side and then bake in oven for 10 to 15 minutes. For every half inch of thickness I cook five minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check the chop is 145° In the middle. Let chops rest at least five minutes. Sometimes I make a fresh fruit compote using cherries, or mango with cranberry.

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2021 4:25 AM

Remember when it was dangerous to eat under cooked pork? My mom fried pork chops so long they looked like charred elf ears.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2021 4:29 AM

Here's a suggestion. A stranger on the internet forum asks kindly for a pork chop recipe. Seems to be a modest person, not a sophisticate. Has never cooked a pork chop. But would like to enjoy a home cooked chop.

This is not an invitation for you OCD sanctimonious vegetarians and animal rights activists to post your fucking screeds about the horrors of pork consumption.

Sheesh! Read the room and FUCK OFF.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2021 4:42 AM

Aren’t you supposed to criss-cross cut the center, so the chops don’t curl up?

Surprised I haven’t seen that mentioned yet.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2021 5:02 AM

I love rosemary, here’s a 5 star recipe

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2021 5:31 AM

It's very important to match your cooking style, temperature, and time to the type of pork chop you're cooking. Slow cooking would be fine for pork steaks or for country ribs. These are high in marbled fat and can stand a lot of cooking without drying out. These can be seasoned with fresh onion and garlic and simmered for good flavor On the other hand, pork loin chops are very low in fat, and can dry out very quickly. For loin chops, I would pan fry them very quickly, and braise for a short amount of time in your flavored liquid - wine, broth, whatever. I'd probably use salts (like garlic salt or onion salt) rather than fresh just because of cooking time, or your breading/seasoning mix.. You'd aim for these to still be slightly pink in the center when you take them off the heat. They'll finish cooking while they rest. The total cook time might just take 15 minutes depending on the thickness of the chops. If baking, check them often. They can go from tender to shoe leather very quickly.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2021 7:40 AM

[quote]plant-based diet

Weasel words. Say what you mean next time.

by Anonymousreply 53September 19, 2021 7:55 AM

Looney Tunes® much, r49?

by Anonymousreply 54September 19, 2021 7:56 AM

[quote] Chili powder, garlic salt, ceyanne pepper...salt and pepper. Flour ...fry over med high heat...maje gravy with the drippings. Southern and good

If you leave out the cayenne pepper, I’ll be over tonight.

Mmmmm mmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 55September 19, 2021 11:58 AM

[quote] Cover with foiled and bake for 45 minutes @ 350˚. Shake some paprika on top after foiled is removed.

Foiled again!

You meddling kids!

by Anonymousreply 56September 19, 2021 12:07 PM

I love pork chops, but those chops OP posted look like aborted placentas

by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2021 12:08 PM

r30 you are supposed to make one cut on the edge of the fat to keep them from curling.

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2021 12:14 PM

Seasoned salt, broiler.

Must be served with applesauce and noodles in Alfredo sauce.

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2021 12:21 PM

Some of you guys have me sitting on the couch smacking my lips about pork chops at this early hour.

R59, that sounds fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2021 12:23 PM

Marinade in a mixture of mustard, thyme, honey and garlick overnight and throw it on the BBQ.

by Anonymousreply 61September 19, 2021 12:31 PM

"If you throw a pork chop into a hot oven, what's to keep it from gettin' cooked?"

by Anonymousreply 62September 19, 2021 12:35 PM

This thread is LITERAL violence.

by Anonymousreply 63September 19, 2021 1:05 PM

My mother’s recipe was simple and delicious. Take 1/2” thick, bone-in center cut pork chops, dip them in an egg wash with salt and pepper added, then dredge them in crushed Wheaties on both sides and all edges. Line a baking pan with foil and give it a light brushing with olive oil. Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes. Crispy on the outside and juicy inside, with very little cleanup. I’ve tried bread crumbs, corn flakes, panko, etc., but I think there’s just a tiny bit of sweetness in Wheaties that the other breadings lack that gives pork chops a very nice flavor. Miss you, Mom.

by Anonymousreply 64September 19, 2021 2:23 PM

Shake and Bake

and

I HAYLPED!

by Anonymousreply 65September 19, 2021 2:25 PM

Brown chops in oil. Add garlic at the end. Add tomato sauce, a lot of allspice (you can bloom it first in the oil form more flavor), salt and pepper. Simmer or bake until the chops are done. Serve with rice.

I use the same sauce (tomato sauce, garlic, allspice) with leg of lamb. Divine.

by Anonymousreply 66September 19, 2021 2:39 PM

[bold] Here are some very good ways to prepare pork chops. First a recipe for thin pork chops. It works so beautifully. [/bold]

[bold] Best Way to Cook Thin Pork Chops [/bold]

To ensure that these pork chops brown well, partially freeze them to eliminate excess moisture from the exterior. Salting them first prevented them from drying out. A combination of softened butter and brown sugar spread over the chops results in a golden-brown crust when they came off the grill.

To prevent the chops from buckling or curling, cut 2 slits about 2 inches apart through the fat around the outside of each raw chop. Do NOT, as someone asked about, score the flesh in a cross-hatch pattern. Just cut down into the fat at 2 inch intervals.

[bold] Ingredients Serves 4 to 6 [/bold]

6 (3-ounce) bone-in rib or center-cut pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed

3/4 teaspoon salt

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives

1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

[bold] Instructions [/bold]

1. [bold] FREEZE CHOPS [/bold] Pat chops dry with paper towels and rub with salt. Arrange on wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet and freeze until chops are firm, at least 30 minutes but no more than 1 hour. Combine 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, and pepper in small bowl; set aside. Mix remaining butter, chives, mustard, and zest in another small bowl and refrigerate until firm, about 15 -minutes. (Butter-chive mixture can be refrigerated, covered, for 1 day.)

2. [bold] GRILL CHOPS [/bold] Pat chops dry with paper towels. Spread softened butter-sugar mixture evenly over both sides of each chop. Grill, covered, over hot fire until well browned and meat registers 140-145 degrees, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chops to platter and top with chilled butter-chive mixture. Tent with foil and let rest 5 minutes. Serve.

WHY?The foil tent keeps the chops warm, while the rest allows the meat juices to redistribute, which translates into juicier chops.

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2021 4:04 PM

Here's another recipe that is wonderful for pork chops. It is simple and tasty.

[bold] Braised Pork Chops with Sage & Tomatoes, Modena Syle [/bold] — Serves 4

2 tablespoons butter

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

4 pork loin chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup flour, spread on a dish

6 to 8 fresh sage leaves

one 14.5-ounce can whole Italian tomatoes, cut up, with their juice (San Marzano are best)

[bold] The Recipe [/bold]

In a sauté pan just large enough to contain the pork chops without overlapping them, heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat.

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Dredge them in the flour, shaking off the excess. When the butter foam begins to subside, add the pork chops and sage to the skillet. Brown the chops until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.

Add some kosher salt to taste and the cut-up tomatoes with their juice. Adjust heat to cook at a slow simmer, and cover the pan, setting the lid on slightly ajar. Cook for about 1 hour, until the meat feels tender when prodded with a fork. Turn the chops from time to time while they are cooking.

By the time the pork is done, the sauce in the pan should have become rather dense. If it is too runny, transfer the chops to a warm serving platter, and reduce the pan juices over high heat for a few minutes. Tip the pan and spoon off most of the fat. Pour the contents of the pan over the chops and serve at once.

You will love these. I often serve them with soft polenta and thin green beans.

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2021 4:16 PM

And, finally, a recipe for thick pork chops. For these, I use the reverse sear method.

[bold] Thick Pork Chops [/bold]

If you have the time and inclination to brine these chops, please do so. Otherwise, make sure they are dry before you season them with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. The chops should be 1 1/2 to 2" thick.

Put them on a rack on a sheet pan in a very slow oven (170 degrees is what I use).

Let them cook slowly until they reach 120 to 125 degrees.

When they are at 120 to 125 degrees, remove from oven.

Preheat a cast iron skillet on high for ten minutes. If you don't have cast iron, you can use stainless steel. Do not use a non-stick pan.

Add a small amount (2 Tablespoons) of extra virgin olive oil to the pan and as it begins to smoke, carefully add the chops. Let them get dark and somewhat crusty on the presentation side (the side that will face up on the plate or platter).

Turn them over and quickly get some color on the bottom, but not as much as on the top.

By this point, your chops should be around 135 to 140 degrees. Remove from pan and let rest for about ten minutes, tented loosely with foil. Be sure not to cover them too tightly or you risk losing the delicious crust that formed on the one side. These should be rosy pink on the inside.

These are delicious.

So there you have it—three delicious and easy ways to prepare the best pork chops you will ever have. Give all three a try. Even those thin ones come out tasting really good and juicy because of the time spent in the freezer and because of the butter and brown sugar and then the composed butter.

Let me know how you like these recipes.

by Anonymousreply 69September 19, 2021 4:28 PM

r64, I've baked pork chops similarly but with crushed Special K instead of Wheaties, also delicious and crunchier than a bread crumb coating. But I bake mine at 400 degrees for an hour and a half....how do yours get done at only 350 degrees for 45 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 70September 19, 2021 5:59 PM

OP did you make one yet? How did it go?

by Anonymousreply 71September 19, 2021 6:45 PM

Greg? Greg! GREEEEEEG!!!!! Oh, there you are. ^ Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 72September 19, 2021 6:56 PM

[R70] I usually get 1/2” thick chops....maybe closer to 3/8”. My mom generally baked hers for an hour, but hers tended to be a little dry, so I reduced my time. Mine are just barely pinkish in the middle and pretty juicy after 40+ minutes. I wonder if elevation has anything to do with it? I’m at 5500 feet. Maybe some of you DL science guys know if altitude has an effect on cooking times for meats....I know that every time I’ve tried to bake a cake it’s never successful, and the cake always comes out looking pretty fucked up, even when I follow high altitude directions. PS. I’ll try the Special K sometime - that sounds good!

by Anonymousreply 73September 19, 2021 7:01 PM

Love these recipes!

by Anonymousreply 74September 19, 2021 10:14 PM

How many of you have panties in your pantry?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 19, 2021 10:18 PM

Such unhealthy eating

by Anonymousreply 76September 19, 2021 10:20 PM

Veggie here. I cooked some for my infirmed mother and they were NO WAY like they used to be. No fat, too lean. I guess you'd have to buy the thick ones.

by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] Such unhealthy eating

Shut up.

by Anonymousreply 78September 19, 2021 10:45 PM

What R78 said.

by Anonymousreply 79September 19, 2021 10:49 PM

I have had shaman, traditional chinese doctor, and reiki healer cycle through my diet for good and bad for me. Beef always comes up bad and pork very good. My normal scientific western doctor identifies no health issues based on my diet. I once went vegan in my 20s and I got sick. My normal scientific doctor, a big cheese at NYH Cornell Med, implored me to stop being flighty and to go buy a sausage and pepper hero and never look back.

by Anonymousreply 80September 19, 2021 10:51 PM

And now you’re 770 pounds!

by Anonymousreply 81September 19, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote]some people make gravy independent of the actual meat.

You have to USE the meat to MAKE the gravy.

by Anonymousreply 82September 20, 2021 2:09 AM

My pork chops are soooooo thin. Thanks, Greg, I'll try your method.

by Anonymousreply 83September 20, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote] I realized I didn’t know what to do with them today

If only there were software on the internet into which you could input a cooking question and get recipe websites as a response.

by Anonymousreply 84September 20, 2021 1:58 PM

Oh, I don’t think they’ll ever come up with something that fancy.

I mean, can you even imagine?

by Anonymousreply 85September 20, 2021 2:04 PM

But you don’t get interaction like you do here, r84…

by Anonymousreply 86September 20, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote] If only there were software on the internet into which you could input a cooking question and get recipe websites as a response.

This is much better. The internet is an unwieldy ocean of information. I will give anyone all the advice he could possibly need for making delicious food to be enjoyed alone or with others.

by Anonymousreply 87September 20, 2021 2:52 PM

Hattie and Cagney discuss pork chops.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 21, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote]My pork chops are soooooo thin. Thanks, Greg, I'll try your method.

If they are really thin and boneless, cook them as chicken or veal cutlets. Dry well and salt and pepper them, pressing the S&P in. Dip in flour and shake off the excess. Then dip in beaten egg. Then put in breadcrumbs (I like a mixture of 4C or Progresso Italian Style, and panko). Shallow fry in olive oil until golden brown on each side.

by Anonymousreply 89September 21, 2021 8:01 PM

[quote] Dip in flour and shake off the excess. Then dip in beaten egg.

I’m curious why it’s this process. Wouldn’t you dip it in beaten egg first so the flour sticks? What’s the purpose of dipping a floured chop into the egg then?

(Not a chef here, so maybe I just don’t get it.)

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2021 8:04 PM

R90 - the flour binds the egg to the cutlet. Otherwise it can slide off. The process is especially useful because you don't have to cook them immediately. I like to use Wondra when I do this.

by Anonymousreply 91September 21, 2021 8:08 PM

Add another step to R89. Put the breaded chops in the freezer for about 10 mins before frying. It helps the breadcrumbs adhere.

by Anonymousreply 92September 21, 2021 8:16 PM

Mmmmmm.

Good tips here! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 93September 21, 2021 9:09 PM

Pork chops and applesauce silly!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 22, 2021 10:23 PM

R94, meet r42.

by Anonymousreply 95September 23, 2021 12:04 AM

Gregg’s Lovely Boiled Pork Chops with Eel, prune and Tomato sauce

Get a kettle of water boiling and throw in the pork chops and two whole eel.

Meantime fry some prunes in olive oil, garlic, cumin, vanilla extract, season salt, and vinegar

Add a left over Cod head to them pork chops and eel while they boil

Once the chops/eels looking grey and sickly

Pour the pork chops and eels into the other mess, and stir the shit out that bitch

Add a whole jar of ragu to the mixture, plus a pack of cheap beef hot dogs diced

Serve over fresh lettuce, rice and raw cabbage

Garnish with fresh prawns, strawberries, and a raw cod head

Delish!!!

Enjoy!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96September 23, 2021 12:22 AM

And during Sukkot, too. But who can be surprised?

by Anonymousreply 97September 23, 2021 12:23 AM

BBQ them brushed with melted butter mixed with a bit of curry powder. Heaven.

Otherwise, in a frying pan, cook them in a bit of butter with some Herbs de Provence and salt. Brown them up on both sides. When almost done pour in about 1/4 cup of coffee and boil it down to a sauce, turning the chops once - doesn’t take long. Also Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 98September 23, 2021 12:34 AM

Buy thin pork chops. Dredge in flour. Dip in beaten egg, making sure the egg coats the entire chop. Bread with the breading of your choice - a mixture of unseasoned bread crumbs mixed with panko at about a 1:1 ratio is good. (Season the breadcrumb mixture with S&P to taste.. Or you could use seasoned crumbs instead, but the cheap parm in those is a bit nasty IMO.) Press down on the chops to be sure to coat them as thickly as possible.

Put in fridge for at least 20 minutes to let the breading set.

Meanwhile, heat a frying pan with a layer of cooking oil about 1/8" deep over medium-high heat. Watch carefully. Do not let the oil overheat or smoke, as it will smell and taste nasty.

Put 2 chops in the pan. Fry on 1 side until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn and fry on the other side until brown and chop is fully cooked, 3-4 minutes.

Drain on paper towels.

Eat. Delicious.

by Anonymousreply 99September 23, 2021 12:43 AM

Apparently, R99 missed R89.

by Anonymousreply 100September 23, 2021 1:26 AM

R95 Oopsie! Did not read the whole thread so I missed it. Thank you for being so kind to point it out!

by Anonymousreply 101September 23, 2021 4:07 AM

Looks like I'm going to make some pork chops this week. Great recipes!

by Anonymousreply 102September 23, 2021 4:21 AM

Just out of curiosity, r102, what recipe did you find most appealing and may try this weekend?

by Anonymousreply 103September 23, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote] Did not read the whole thread so I missed it.

It’s a good thing you didn’t. I gained ten pounds just reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 104September 23, 2021 12:20 PM

I remember working as a waiter in the 90s' and being told to "take a temp" on pork orders. i.e. rare, medium or well done.

We were told by our chef/owner that pork was like beef, grain fed and completely safe.

Fast forward, I was working at a residential facility where staff and residents' food scraps were saved in barrels next to the dumpsters. The pig farmers would come every week to pick this mess up. It was fed to their pigs. Grain fed my ass.

Lesson: cook your pork well and don't believe everything you are told.

by Anonymousreply 105September 23, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote] I remember working as a waiter in the 90s' and being told to "take a temp" on pork orders. i.e. rare, medium or well done.

I went to a steakhouse with a buddy years ago. He ordered pork chops and was asked this very question. He replied “uh, cooked, I guess.”

Turns out you can safely have “rare” pork chops if you know what you’re doing. Not that I would, but it is possible.

by Anonymousreply 106September 23, 2021 2:29 PM

When I was in college (MANY years ago), a friend shared her mother's recipe for a pork chop casserole that had sliced potatoes underneath pork chops, with a sauce made of consommé, Worcestershire sauce, and some other stuff. It was really good. I wish I could find that recipe.

by Anonymousreply 107September 23, 2021 2:50 PM

So do I!

Mmmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 108September 23, 2021 2:56 PM

You're a pork chop!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 23, 2021 6:36 PM

TamechiTV

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 23, 2021 6:40 PM

^^Haha, that vid is an old DL fav. So catchy. "Shake ya poak chops, work ya ham hocks, throw them buttuh beans. You're just a country dream".

Some damn talented dancers too, especially the kids.

by Anonymousreply 111September 23, 2021 6:51 PM

They were on Soul Train and designed MC Hanner's famous pants.

by Anonymousreply 112September 23, 2021 7:02 PM

I have pork chops every Thursday, pretty much. I put seasoned salt on them and broil them. My sister swears by Shake n Bake. She has started finishing them in brown gravy. She says they're delicious.

by Anonymousreply 113September 23, 2021 9:10 PM

Smothered pork chops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 23, 2021 9:44 PM

Since we're talking about breading the pork, how about tonkatsu? You use panko for your bread crumbs. The sauce (tonkatsu sauce) might be hard to find for some people. But, IMO, A-1 steak sauce tastes the same as tonkatsu sauce.

Anyway, give it a try. This would be for medium thickness of pork.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 23, 2021 9:55 PM

Will anyone try one of my three pork chop recipes? They are so good and will not come out tough or dry.

by Anonymousreply 116September 23, 2021 10:59 PM

I had a pork chop tonight! It was a very thick loin chop with the bone, more like a pork ribeye than a chop. I drizzled 1/2 tbsp of olive oil on each side, along with salt, pepper, herbs de provence, and a little adobo. 350 in the oven for 30 minutes and it was perfect. Served with cauliflower and a sweet potato, it was simple but hearty.

by Anonymousreply 117September 23, 2021 11:19 PM

Stuffed pork chops are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 118September 24, 2021 1:11 AM

I just bought a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I need to experiment with using it.

by Anonymousreply 119September 24, 2021 3:39 AM

I make pork chops a few times a year, usually during cold weather. I season with paprika and black pepper. Broil boneless (a few minutes on each side) or bone-in, bake in the oven with a meat thermometer. I like with mashed potatoes, green beans and unsweetened applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 120September 24, 2021 4:02 AM

R 103 So many of the recipes sound delicious but the Norwegian Sage Porkchops, the Modena style with the tomatoes and the Latin style marinated chops seem most tempting for end of summer. The breaded and smothered as the weather gets cooler.

by Anonymousreply 121September 24, 2021 5:13 AM

Try them with chipotle honey glaze! 😋

by Anonymousreply 122September 24, 2021 5:55 AM

[quote]I have had shaman, traditional chinese doctor, and reiki healer...

Are you looking to go broke buying unregulated supplements, herbs and other toxic garbage, or just to die young?

by Anonymousreply 123September 24, 2021 7:41 AM

I can't find pork chops with the full rib bone anymore. Has anyone else noticed this? In the last 4 months or so, I've noticed the stores are chopping off the end of the bone. That little bit of fat is delicious when broiled. It gets nice a crispy.

by Anonymousreply 124September 24, 2021 12:35 PM

All store chops are trimmed way too much. Almost no fat cap at all. That's criminal.

by Anonymousreply 125September 24, 2021 1:17 PM

Poor chops are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 126September 24, 2021 2:11 PM

I don't cook pork chops but instead, I buy a pork loin, cut them into two inch pieces. Then cut side up and down, I lightly pound them into inch and a half thick medallions. Salt, pepper, pinch of granular garlic and they are ready for the pan.

by Anonymousreply 127September 24, 2021 2:20 PM

r127 Are you talking about pork loin or pork TENDERLOIN?

by Anonymousreply 128September 24, 2021 2:44 PM

I can't do the super meaty cuts any more (post gall bladder removal) but I can usually handle the thin cut chops or a slice or two off a tenderloin.

The air fryer sounds like a fantastic way to cook it. Will have to try it.

We do a lot of German cooking here so we'll usually try to do the thinner cuts as a substitute for kassler rippchen (usually on the bone) with dumplings and schnitzel gravy. Great for fall and winter days.

by Anonymousreply 129September 24, 2021 2:49 PM

Dredge in pancake mix, smothered in mushrooms and onions.

by Anonymousreply 130September 24, 2021 2:58 PM

Someone should really try my recipe for thin pork chops. They come out so beautifully and the composed butter tastes delicious.

by Anonymousreply 131September 24, 2021 3:09 PM

Tenderloin r128 Thank you for the correction. God, what a dumbass I am. Again, thanks for the correction. I must be too stupid to breathe. And the CAPS made your pithy excoriation even more humbling. I will think long and hard before I offer up incorrect advice again. Sorry to have bothered you. Really, really, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 132September 24, 2021 8:41 PM

r132 needs to have her meds adjusted.

by Anonymousreply 133September 25, 2021 4:22 AM

The words that wound. The CAPS that silence.

r132, the boundaries that have been stated...

by Anonymousreply 134September 25, 2021 11:09 AM

R129 now you have me thinking about schnitzel and spaetzle!

by Anonymousreply 135September 28, 2021 10:00 PM

R131 I bought thin pork chops at the store to try your recipe and then I forgot they were in the refrigerator. By the time I ran across them they were two days past the date. I wasn’t going to take a chance and I tossed them. Maybe next week!

by Anonymousreply 136September 28, 2021 10:01 PM

I never eat pork anymore because pig farming in the US is one of the most horrendous practices human beings ever devised. They spend their entire live standing in stalls that are too small for them to even turn around in. Even if you don't care about animal welfare, think about the stress hormones infused into their tissue. I loooooooove bacon, but it isn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 137September 28, 2021 10:17 PM

It's all about the seasonings. I don't really cook. My kitchen is dusted. But, given all the time home during this pandemic I decided to try my hand at cooking. The following two recipes are the ones that I have used and the chops came out DELICIOUS! The second recipe took me literally less than 15 minutes. The first one below was a bit more complicated for me. For seasonings that I did not have I just substituted something else, (like a poultry seasoning) or left it out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 28, 2021 10:20 PM

I tried it Greg R131, it tastes divine and so simple too. Definitely a keeper for dates.

by Anonymousreply 139September 28, 2021 10:21 PM

This one was quick and DELICIOUS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140September 28, 2021 10:21 PM

Greg I want to try your recipe for the thin cut pork chops at R67. I do not have a grill. Can I just use my cast-iron skillet? If so, what temperature and how long on each side? After cooking, how long should I let them rest? Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 141October 16, 2021 8:40 PM

Sorry just reread the recipe. I now know it says rest five minutes. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 142October 16, 2021 8:41 PM

Five minutes? That’s not nearly enough. I need a minimum of a 20-minute nap.

by Anonymousreply 143October 16, 2021 8:46 PM

I just made Greg’s R67 thin pork chop recipe. It was excellent! The one part I don’t understand is why freeze the chops 30 minutes before cooking? I thought that it was best to have them at room temperature before cooking.

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2021 2:07 AM

R141, I assume it prevents the interior of the chop cooking too quickly, thereby staying moist.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2021 9:38 AM

I tried pork as a kid and all I could tasted was shit. I remember looking around the table in disbelief that others found it delicious. I only recently found out that some people can taste it more than others.

I cook it for my husband which is why I'm here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2021 10:07 AM

could tasted

by Anonymousreply 147October 17, 2021 10:32 AM

Pork is not good for you

by Anonymousreply 148October 17, 2021 1:06 PM

Blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 149October 17, 2021 1:40 PM

[quote] I just made Greg’s [R67] thin pork chop recipe. It was excellent! The one part I don’t understand is why freeze the chops 30 minutes before cooking? I thought that it was best to have them at room temperature before cooking.

I'm so glad you liked the recipe! They are so delicious and stay tender and moist.

Like R145 said, you freeze the chops for a brief period so that by the time the outside can get some color, the inside isn't overcooked and dry. It's an excellent technique with food that is thin and likely to overcook.

You are correct in saying that ordinarily you want to make sure that a roast (beef, chicken, pork) is at room temperature before roasting it. I usually remove a roast at least an hour before I plan to put it in the oven.

Thanks for letting us know that you enjoyed this recipe!

by Anonymousreply 150October 18, 2021 2:47 PM

[quote][R3] because I made myself dinner? Do you not eat?

One of the best bitch slaps ever. Nothing crude. Nothing hostile. Just a beautiful distillation of the idiocy in R3.

by Anonymousreply 151October 18, 2021 2:54 PM

R150, Greg, thanks for the response. That totally makes sense about the freezing part. Did you come up with this recipe? Or did you find it somewhere and maybe make some tweaks? Would that recipe also work with thick center cut pork chops?

by Anonymousreply 152October 18, 2021 9:23 PM

Traditional authentic pork curry with jasmine rice and lentils is a dish I’m planning on serving when my Indian boyfriend’s very conservative parents visit this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 153October 18, 2021 9:44 PM

Gurl, he's showing up with his new wife too!

by Anonymousreply 154October 18, 2021 9:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!