Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Five Little Pigs (and other Agatha Christie adaptations- continued)

I was the OP from this older thread and just watched Suchet’s adaptation of Five Little Pigs. I confirmed that it is the best adaptation of Agatha Christie (arguably) best book. The changes to homosexuality make more sense than the original and has some great acting and, ultimately, a sad and ruthless killer.

So, continuing, what is your favorite one? Murder in The Orient Express had a gigantic thread but i also enjoyed the Sarah Phelps recent , dark, version of And There There was None (though, strangely, she doesn’t appear to like Christie very much)

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 1:38 PM

(I am hopeless with polls, last option should have been ‘Other’)

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 10:17 PM

If you asked me which one I thought was the best, I would have voted for "Five Little Pigs," because every element is there: great Poirot, great supporting cast, great story (one of Christie's best), great setting.

But since you asked which was my [italic]favorite,[/italic] I had to go with the original 1970s "Murder on the Orient Express." Despite its many, many flaws, the terrifying pre-credit sequence with Daisy Armstrong's kidnapping, Wendy Hiller's performance as the Princess Dragomiroff (and Rachel Roberts's as her companion Hildegarde), and just the way Ingrid Bergman pronounces the word "Minneapolis" will always, always, always make it my heart's darling.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 10:30 PM

Hahaha, great post r2, i never noticed ‘Minneapolis’. I agree the first 15 minutes of MOTOE are pure gold and there are very many other good moments (Vanessa Redgrave winking, for instance). But though it is scary it does not move me like Five Little Pigs (which has perfect perfect casting and acting)

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 10:42 PM

(I didn’t include the latest Murder on The Orient express, which is constantly (and just.y) trashed her, but Michelle’s Pfeiffer song at the credits is haunting and a glimpse of what might have been a much better film)

by Anonymousreply 4September 19, 2021 12:30 AM

I've never even heard of Five Little Pigs. Where is Ten Little Indians, with shirtless Hugh O'Brien, and the two older gentlemen from My Fair Lady?

by Anonymousreply 5September 19, 2021 12:50 AM

That is Sleeping Murder, r5

by Anonymousreply 6September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote] I've never even heard of Five Little Pigs.

It's probably the best episode of the BBC "Poirot" series--on top of everything else they had an absolutely first-rate cinematographer/ DP who captured the intense beauty of a hot summer day by the lake perfectly.

The other really great episode of "Poirot" for my money is "Hallowe'en Party," which is not actually one of my favorite Poirot novels but which has a first-rate adaptation. The director really knew how to convey a sense of space beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 7September 19, 2021 12:59 AM

I, too, think Five Little Pigs is the best Christie and perhaps the best Suchet. For sheer beauty of costumes I like MOTOE (Finney version) and for locale the 2015 adaptation of And Then There Were None with the very gorgeous Aidan Turner and Douglas Booth. + Dance is so dark and twisted. I don't like Branagh's Poirot but can get past that for the stories and other actors. Despite the widespread dislike for Armie, I am still interested in seeing the new Death on the Nile--if they ever fucking release it.

by Anonymousreply 8September 19, 2021 1:02 AM

R2, i so agree and i have a soft spot for Halloween Party the book where not only a child is killed ruthlessly (opposing the idea of cozy) but is a so very perfect example of misdirection. If you pay attention you can find the killer easily.

R8, me too but am afraid the armie thing may have r cancelled it. Hope not.

by Anonymousreply 9September 19, 2021 1:08 AM

You should check out the French version (Cinq Petits Cochons).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 19, 2021 3:54 PM

"Death on the Nile" with Suchet and Emily Blunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 19, 2021 4:22 PM

This is the best version of "Orient Express."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 19, 2021 4:29 PM

I love the 78 DEATH ON THE NILE and 82 EVIL UNDER THE SUN. Great actors, fun, exotic locations, fairly true to the plots and attractive men!

by Anonymousreply 13November 27, 2021 1:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!