Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is it with gay men and small dogs?

Are they just an accessory?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 4, 2021 4:29 AM

More tool than accessory. The point is to walk the dog so other queens have an excuse to stop and engage you in conversation.

"Oh, he's so cute. Can you host? Let's fuck"

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 6:46 PM

They will never admit to this (sometimes not even to themselves), but they secretly want babies, and for them small dogs are the next best thing.

I always feel bad for them, because a sizeable number of people genuinely hate small dogs, so they scare some potential mates away with them.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 6:47 PM

My cousin, a snooty closet case with a Frau and an ugly baby of his own, also has the world’s most fucking ridiculous frou-Frau mongrel sausage dog. My big soppy fat Labrador would eat it for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 6:48 PM

My little girl, a pekingese, is beautiful as Liz Taylor and brave as a lion. When we go for a walk the handsome young guys smile at us, first I thought they smile at me, but then I noticed they smile at her.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

And I wouldn't have anything in common with a guy that dislikes small dogs, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Wait until your big, massive dogs get sick, OP, and you will understand the true costs of having gigantic dogs. Not all people who love animal companionship are rich, if you must understand. Don't be so obtuse and obese.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 7:47 PM

Many gay men live in cities in apartments. I grew up in the suburbs with larger breed dogs like Labs and Border Collies. When I moved into the city with less square footage and four flights of stairs from the master bedroom to the front steps, a smaller dog was just practical.

My three Westies have been a compact animals with big dog personalities. The pop philosophizing and homophobia above is idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 7:59 PM

Aww, OP. Scruffy little Terriers have always been my favourite. Minitiare Schauzers without the standard grooming, Yorkies, Wheaten Terriers, Affenpinschers, long -haired Jack Russells, all great dogs.

So many straight people love little Terriers too.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 7:59 PM

They're cuter! Mine is, anyway. Ok he's a bitch like me.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 8:09 PM

We love our small dogs. They are loving companions, not accessories. We have had large and small. Small dogs are easier to care for and they live longer.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 8:15 PM

One could ask...What is it with straight men and Pitbulls?

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 8:16 PM

There is nothing dumber and uglier than owning a chihuaha....except owning a pitbull.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 8:24 PM

Smaller dogs are easier for travel and smaller homes/gardens, as well as when they get old and have mobility issues, you can simply pick them up. My cousin had a large lab that had to be picked up for two years and it almost killed her back by the time she put him down. Smaller dogs are just easier.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 8:37 PM

R11, there are even a lot of fraus love pitbulls. I find that they tend to be the biggest proponents of the "no bad dogs, just bad owners" philosophy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 8:44 PM

What's the point of having huge dogs?

They cannot sleep on the same bed as you do , they could kill you if they happen to have a rage attack, and their mess is worse.

Cute small dogs are easier to handle and raise.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 9:04 PM

R15 that’s why you always get a big breed as a pedigree from a reputable, ethical KC-registered private-household breeder, ideally when they’re just a few months old.

My Lab came to us when he was just 12 weeks, and he is the most docile creature on earth. He doesn’t ever growl, doesn’t bark, doesn’t have a single bit of aggression. He’d flop down, nuzzle and give hearteyes to Charles Manson.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2021 9:08 PM

I had a small dog, a miniature Doberman. She was a small dog but she wasn’t a fluffy Maltese or a yapping chihuahua. She wasn’t evil or yappy, she thought she was a big dog and carried herself like one.

I couldn’t deal with a big dog. They slobber and the bad breath and shedding and etc sound like a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2021 9:08 PM

We have a lot of love to give and people are a pain in the ass

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2021 9:10 PM

That is a cute dog in OP’s photo and a cute guy too. They go together.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2021 9:15 PM

Unless it’s his girlfriend’s dog, any dude with a small dog is automatically unattractive to me. Have some male self respect

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2021 9:17 PM

R20 Well, the pretty young guys who smile to me and my pekingese don't share your oppinion.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2021 9:20 PM

Lol R16 he's still a dog and ANY dog,trained or untrained has the chance of attacking and biting someone, even if they are docile. There are advantages in having small dogs and people like them, I like big dogs too, but I'd never have one.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] My little girl, a pekingese, is beautiful as Liz Taylor and brave as a lion.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2021 9:23 PM

R20 How does that actually compute for you? What if the small dog is a female? Can't they be scrappy and cute? No offence to you personally, yet I think many blokes who feel a need to mirror their idea of masculinity in a dog are very insecure in their masculinity, and using big intimidating dogs more like an accessory to my sensibilities.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2021 9:25 PM

r10, what's with the "we"?

Do you have multiple personality syndrome, or do you see yourself as somehow speaking in the aggregate for the people of the United Kingdom, like Queen Victoria?

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2021 9:26 PM

YAP YAP!!

YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP!!

YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP!!

YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP YAP!!

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2021 9:28 PM

Westies, scotties & mini schnauzers all have awesome personalities can run a lot and fast for small dogs…welsh terriers should be included too

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2021 9:34 PM

R26 I trained several not to bark. One old Miniature Schnauzer would howl like a husky every so often when he was happy, or anticipating a treat. It's not all that hard really, it simply comes down to training early, and being consistent.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2021 9:35 PM

Smaller dogs are more practical. They tend to live longer than big dogs. They are easier to fit into whatever apartment you have to move into.You can travel with them easier. Plus, big dogs crap bigger than most humans do. Stepping in small dog shit is comedy whereas stepping in big dog shit is tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2021 9:39 PM

Me and two friends were sitting on a bench in Prospect Park, Brooklyn a few Sundays ago. All the guys that pinged had "gay size dogs"....never taller that the gay owner's knees.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2021 9:42 PM

Mah boy. How could I resist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2021 9:46 PM

Put all my gay friends' dogs in a field and half would be small/medium and half would be larger. As mentioned, it depends where you live. Gay men love animals (dogs) in general (at least those in my orbit), whether they're large or small.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2021 9:49 PM

Apartment, condo and city living is more appropriate for small dogs.

It's not just gay men; the straight people in my condo complex have small dogs too.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2021 9:50 PM

Carrie Symonds dog Dilyn is the absolute best thing about Boris Johnson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2021 9:54 PM

I have a Shih Tzu Bichon mix who is the light of my life. She gets cooed over a lot when we go for walks and loves everyone she meets, though she is cautious with other dogs.

Every Labrador I’ve ever met has been good-natured, but they were basically all intensely rambunctious and destructive for the first four or five years of their lives. You get a lovely (albeit stinky and heavily shedding) dog for a few years after that, but then they all seem to be beset by health problems. Golden Retrievers mellow earlier but seem to develop health problems even faster.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2021 9:57 PM

Funny that how R30 equates gay with small. Even funnier is that grammar and sentence structure. Where ever are the resident DL grammarians at a time like this?

Ordinarily, I'm much more merciful, but "gay size" is adversarial, and homophobic in this context, so I've completely run out of fucks to give.

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2021 10:09 PM

My partner and I had a big husky for a bit over 11 years. After she died, we waited for a year or so before getting another dog. Now we have two King Charles Cavaliers, who are the best dogs in the world as far as we're concerned. The cuteness factor of Cavaliers was such that we couldn't resist.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2021 10:20 PM

R37 Spaniels are my second fave after Terriers. King Cavaliers are awesome dogs; so soft, and so sweet. Glad you have a pair, as I hear they do better that way.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 10:29 PM

I live in Palm Springs. I have yet to see a dog over 15 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote] I have a Shih Tzu Bichon mix.

A very sweet and intelligent creature, I’m sure. I love both those breeds.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2021 11:20 PM

I have a big dog. A pit bull mix. He's handsome and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2021 12:00 AM

Obviously not a gay man, but cavalier King Charles spaniels are the best dogs. We have one and I’d like to be able to convince my wife to get a little brother or sister for him.

(And going mushing in Lapland with huskies convinced us we needed to get a dog, but huskies are too vocal for an apartment.)

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

The vast majority of perspective dog owners would be better off getting a Cavalier King Charles over a Husky. I think a lot of people get “too much” dog for their lifestyle. Unless you have the time, space and ability to give high energy medium-to-large “working” breeds the stimulation and exercise that they require, you’re destined for trouble.

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2021 1:44 AM

MY SIAMESE CAT COULD BEAT UP YOUR SMALL DOG!

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2021 2:25 AM

I've had several Shelties which are medium size. I just love 'em, they're the right size for me. As long as I can scoop a dog up which gives me the final authority, that's the size I like

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2021 3:27 AM

Hot dudes have huskies and Labradors

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2021 3:32 AM

Also German Shepherds

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2021 3:33 AM

They yap too much. I mean, the small dogs. Actually, both the gay men and their small dogs.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2021 6:20 AM

^ I found the homophobe, but around here that's pretty easy

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2021 9:08 AM

This gay man has two bull mastiffs. The lesbians further down the road have three Labradors.

#loveislove

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2021 9:24 AM

My 17lb / 8kg terrier is almost 13 years old and went mountain climbing in the Italian Alps last month. We took the TGV from Paris, he is small enough to fit under the seat and was welcomed everywhere we traveled.

Try that with your rapidly aging poop factories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2021 10:44 AM

I can't stand the tiny , yappy, nervous fuckers, the kind that go around in circles more than they move forward, always petrified and "brave" (i.e., yapping at full screech, uncontrolled by their owners who look at you as if the yapping and lack of any discipline were of your doing; the so tiny that "daddy doesn't feel up to bending down to pick up your shit today and "nobody will mind, will they? Because you're soooo precious!"

A Jack Russell is about as small as a dog can be and still be a dog, not a drain clog of hair and high-pitched barks, with perennially weepy eyes, little grotesque monsters that only their owners could love.

by Anonymousreply 52September 19, 2021 12:06 PM

My roommate/ex, Became a "doggie daddy" to several Pallion's " Je T'Adore" or something obnoxious like that and Siggy. with pics of them in the passenger seat with the caption "No human beings allowed". I have to admit it made me wanna barf a little. Then again when we lived together he never had any interest in loving animals So it was nice to see. When he passed from suicide. he did rehome them before the act! I made a donation to a Papillon rescue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 21, 2021 10:52 AM

Effeminates!

by Anonymousreply 54September 21, 2021 10:55 AM

R46 send the ‘uskies in, son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 21, 2021 11:25 AM

To be truly gay and fad fallowing clone you need a French Bulldog. All the A gays have one. Total status symbol. Because dogs are an extension of our carefully curated Instagram life.

by Anonymousreply 56September 21, 2021 11:47 AM

Bottoms copying what rich female airheads do shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 57September 21, 2021 11:51 AM

I have three chihuahuas and they are like having a trio of old hungry personalities following me around all day. My little girl can serve me “Hollywood eyes” better than any ‘30’s starlet ever did.

by Anonymousreply 58September 21, 2021 12:04 PM

I lose attraction to guys with tiny dogs. It undermines masculinity

by Anonymousreply 59September 21, 2021 12:29 PM

Bulldogs are ugly.

by Anonymousreply 60September 21, 2021 5:44 PM

R59 If a man can be emasculated by one of these tiny "gay size" pups, how masculine could he have been in the first place? Dogs don't make blokes masculine. You've been undermined by some strange concepts of masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 61September 21, 2021 5:49 PM

R58 doesn't further the case for gay men with nervous, yappy little dogs.

by Anonymousreply 62September 22, 2021 7:39 AM

My little girl is not nervous, she is so stable that the vet proposed she should have puppies, but since we're not breeders, nothing.

by Anonymousreply 63September 22, 2021 8:53 AM

R46 send in the ‘Uskies! Get in, son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 30, 2021 10:16 AM

Love small and large dogs.

Small ones are cute. See this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 30, 2021 1:02 PM

Paging Joel's neighbour!

by Anonymousreply 66October 30, 2021 1:07 PM

I like small dogs and small guys.

by Anonymousreply 67October 30, 2021 1:47 PM

I am generally opposed to putting costumes, dresses, hats, etc. on dogs unless the time is momentarily, done just at home, and the owner is being attentive to the pets' comfort.

For walking short-haired dogs in cold weather, putting a warm, doggie sweater on them that fits while outside can be helpful.

by Anonymousreply 68October 30, 2021 1:54 PM

So if there is a cute small guy with a small dog we could go for walks together. My girl is a pekingese. But I' m not small, I'm a tall guy.

by Anonymousreply 69October 30, 2021 2:16 PM

I definitely would not find a guy with a small, foo foo dog to be attractive. It’s a major dent in masculinity

by Anonymousreply 70October 30, 2021 2:39 PM

R70 You should see me, I am a very masculine and buff guy, no matter that I go around with my little pekingese.

by Anonymousreply 71October 30, 2021 2:43 PM

Women look at me all the time, but alas, I'm into guys.

by Anonymousreply 72October 30, 2021 2:45 PM

If seeing an attractive guy with a small dog turns you off, I'm betting those attractive guys with small dogs breathe a sigh of relief.

by Anonymousreply 73October 30, 2021 3:30 PM

I definitely would not find a guy with a small, foo foo dog to be attractive. It’s a major dent in masculinity

agreed, they're for professional gays and effeminates

by Anonymousreply 74October 30, 2021 3:57 PM

i have a pittbull and a collie cross, it rips your throat out then goes for help

by Anonymousreply 75October 30, 2021 3:59 PM

We're all sighing in relief. Thanks for playing R74!

by Anonymousreply 76October 30, 2021 4:03 PM

Getting a dog that optimizes “masc for masc” cruising opportunities seems faggier than owning a Maltese to me, but to each their own.

by Anonymousreply 77October 30, 2021 4:04 PM

. What is it with FAT KARENS and small dogs?. Is it an inverse relationship?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 30, 2021 4:13 PM

I had a few horse hung fuckbuddies with small dogs

by Anonymousreply 79October 30, 2021 4:30 PM

They sub nicely for babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 30, 2021 5:36 PM

If Mickey is not manly enough for you, what do you want?

by Anonymousreply 81October 30, 2021 5:39 PM

I prefer bigger dog breeds, but I certainly don't hate small dogs, nor would I have excluded a guy as a romantic possibility just because he had a small dog (partnered now for nearly 9 years and don't miss those single days). And I agree the homophobia in this thread is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 82October 30, 2021 5:48 PM

It's weird several posters on this thread are giving small dogs as the only possible alternative for huge dogs, as if there were nothing in between a teacup chihuahua and a mastiff.

I tend to like mid-sized dogs the best. I don't have one because I don't have the sort of regular lifestyle that would be good for a dog.

I'm okay with small dogs as long as they don't yap or shiver, and as long as they're genuinely cute. the trouble is that what other people deem cute and what I do is vastly different. I hate the look of all dogs with buggy eyes, so I'm grossed out by pugs and King Charles spaniels. I also don't like dogs that have breathing problems, so pugs are doubly out for me.

by Anonymousreply 83October 30, 2021 5:56 PM

Most, but not all, gay men are smart enough to know that a small dog takes up less space, eats less, shits much less, causes less commotion when out for a walk, is less dangerous to others if feeling threatened, travels more easily, and can easily be carried any time it is necessary. Large dogs do not have an advantage over small dogs in any way, unless you are specifically looking for a guard dog.

My previous dog was a 60 pound basset. My current dog is a 14 pound miniature poodle mix. Life is easier in every way because of the smaller size. And the small ones are just as loving.

by Anonymousreply 84October 30, 2021 6:04 PM

I love German Shepherds

by Anonymousreply 85October 30, 2021 6:10 PM

The idea that a dog breed is tied to masculinity is an ancient construct. Also very harmful because you have young men buying dogs that can be dangerous without proper training--and they have neither the money or time/experience to train them. And then they have little kids.

People tend to like what they grew up with. And people accustomed to big dogs tend to shit on little dogs. my theory is that the little dog triggers something in their brain, like they are potentially going to be attacked. A little dog can fly across the room in a way that can seem threatening. Then there is the experience element, which is that little dogs are often poorly trained. so they seem annoying when they jump all over you because the owners don't mind it. Someone with a 100lb dog acting the same way is going to take some steps to rectify the behavior. With little dogs, owners see it as cute, or just accept it and it makes for a poorly adjusted dog when company comes over

by Anonymousreply 86October 30, 2021 6:19 PM

That's an intelligent post, r86.

by Anonymousreply 87October 30, 2021 6:34 PM

Same as women with small dogs….

by Anonymousreply 88October 30, 2021 6:36 PM

The eternal question -- Does size matter?

by Anonymousreply 89October 30, 2021 6:39 PM

R89 Size ALWAYS matters…

by Anonymousreply 90October 30, 2021 6:42 PM

The baby substitute thing is a problem with all gay men with small pets. They love their companions, but they don't seem to realize not everyone else does.

I especially hate it when I'm around anyone who babytalks to their pet in front of other people or who refers to it as (gag) a 'fur baby." That grosses me out--I'll tend to avoid that person from them on.

And I love cats and dogs myself. i just don't talk to my pets like babies.

by Anonymousreply 91October 30, 2021 6:49 PM

Size certainly matters in fisting.

by Anonymousreply 92October 30, 2021 6:52 PM

I’m attracted to dudes and it’s Rottweilers, GSs, labs, Goldens, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks

by Anonymousreply 93October 30, 2021 6:55 PM

Friends of my parents have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and though he is a very handsome dog and a “friendlier” than average example of his breed , he required a huge amount of training and socialization when he was young - and he remains a very wilful, hardheaded and high energy dog that has massive exercise needs, eats like a horse and requires very confident handling and vigilant supervision. Obviously, his owners love him and really orient much of their lives around seeing to him, but to me an animal that is bred to hunt and protect you from large African game is going to be too much dog.

by Anonymousreply 94October 30, 2021 7:53 PM

My dog is an extension of my penis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 31, 2021 4:26 AM

Bigger dogs do often have more extensive physical needs. A pit bull can walk three hours per day and gets agitated when it doesnt get enough exercise.

by Anonymousreply 96November 1, 2021 5:08 PM

This entertained me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 1, 2021 5:10 PM

What about this guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98November 1, 2021 6:16 PM

[quote] Friends of my parents have a Rhodesian Ridgeback

They’re called Zimbabwean Ridgebacks now.

by Anonymousreply 99November 1, 2021 10:42 PM

R59 Ha!

by Anonymousreply 100November 4, 2021 2:39 AM

What kind of insufferable trogolodyte hates on somebody's dog?

by Anonymousreply 101November 4, 2021 3:02 AM

I like guys with small dogs as long as they are butch small dogs. If you dog has long hair or looks like a poodle, hard pass.

by Anonymousreply 102November 4, 2021 4:19 AM

The first time I saw basketball player Klay Thompson with his English bulldog Rocco, I thought he might be gay. Not only is the dog his constant companion, but he's over 30 and never married (one public relationship with a woman for 2 years), with an "offbeat" dry sense of humor. Hmmm....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103November 4, 2021 4:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!