Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV Friends who couldn’t stand each other in real life

I didn’t know Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance didn’t like each other at first. It’s nice that they eventually became friends and bonded over their rivalry, but most of these others seem to not have.

Was Alyssa Milano that difficult on the “Charmed” set? I know she had problems with Shannen Doherty, but Rose McGowan too?

And everyone knows Bea hated Betty.

The one I didn’t know was William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy as well as Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan. Mulgrew sounds like she was an envious cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408May 17, 2022 12:05 AM

Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd from Moonlighting.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 1:48 PM

[QUOTE] And everyone knows Bea hated Betty.

Who the hell are Bea and Betty?

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 1:52 PM

Bea Arthur and Betty White

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 1:54 PM

It still breaks my heart that Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall were at each other’s throats for most of the series.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote]Was Alyssa Milano that difficult on the “Charmed” set? I know she had problems with Shannen Doherty, but Rose McGowan too?

Yeah. Hard to imagine anyone having problems with Rose McGowan.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]Who the hell are Bea and Betty?

HOW VERY DARE YOU!

Go. Now!

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 2:01 PM

DL fave Bonnie Franklin and Mary Louise Wilson

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 2:02 PM

Julianna Margulies and Archi Panjabi of THE GOOD WIFE.

Their split screen final scene sharing a drink will live in TV infamy.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 2:04 PM

[quote]And everyone knows Bea hated Betty.

Bea did not "hate" Betty. Their work habits did not just gel together. But they ate together, and drove each other to work.

Even Betty has said that while she thought Bea was not fond of her, she never knew exactly why.

It's a shame we never got Bea's own words on this subject.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 2:17 PM

Cybill and Chrisine Baranski own this thread. There's also Kate Jackson and Cheryl Ladd (though pretty much mostly on bitter Kates's part). Also, Gabe Kaplan and Marcia Strassman.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 2:18 PM

Did Bea ever explain why she shit on Betty’s dressing room floor?

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 2:19 PM

It’s be easier to name the people who did get along. I think the gals on “Friends” got along pretty well.

(Apologies, OP.)

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 2:19 PM

Bea was an actress who spent years honing her craft, so it's no wonder she and Betty, who was more of a TV personality than an actual actress, wouldn't have been the best of friends.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 2:20 PM

Samantha Ware and wig shitter Lea Michelle.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 2:21 PM

Samantha Ware was not an actress on Glee. She was an extra who was used a lot.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 2:24 PM

Susan St James hated Jane Curtin, mainly because Jane was funnier and won awards.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2021 2:25 PM

The entire Glee cast hated Lea Michele

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2021 2:26 PM

Everyone on Alf hated the guy who voiced Alf.

Anne Schedeen who played the mother Kate, summed it up best: "Let's just say, everyone was very glad when the show ended."

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2021 2:26 PM

R9 you rewording it doesn’t change the fact that Bea didn’t like Betty. It’s that simple.

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2021 2:27 PM

From what I've read over the years, I don't think there was any love lost between Bob Denver and Tina Louise.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2021 2:29 PM

Cybill Shepherd and Christine Baranski. Cybill was incredibly envious of all the attention her costar got and made life hell for everyone connected with the show because of it. She demanded all the good lines be given to her character, etc. Baranski kept her head down and flew home every weekend for years.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote]Bea didn’t like Betty. It’s that simple.

You don't eat all the time with someone you don't like. You don't drive to work together with someone you don't like.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2021 2:34 PM

R22 lmaooooooooo grow up

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2021 2:47 PM

Kim Cattrall hated SJP. There were rumors about it for years but it became obvious a few years ago when Cattrall's brother died.

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2021 3:18 PM

Because SJP was selfish and Gave herself tons of raises and great storylines

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2021 3:22 PM

IIRC SJP expressed her condolences on Twitter but never personally got in touch with Kim. She only calls Kim to ask if she'll appear in another crap sequel.

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2021 3:28 PM

Wasn’t the voice of Alf also one of the show’s producers?

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2021 3:29 PM

R25, yes. Very true. I think she also loved having Samantha do more and more humiliating things on the show as the show progressed. Jealous that Carrie wasn't the fan favorite.

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2021 3:29 PM

Linda Lavin and Polly Holliday.

MTM and Valerie Harper.

Isabel Sanford and Marla Gibbs.

Esther Rolle and Ja'Net Dubois.

by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2021 3:39 PM

There is a new Blu-Ray release of the Sex and the City TV show plus the two films. All the pictures on the Blu-Ray set are of... SJP.

It reaffirms why Cattrall wants no more part of the show. Who wants to continue catering to SJP's ego when you're in your sixties and you played the most popular character on the show?

SJP would be nothing without the three other women, especially Cattrall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2021 3:39 PM

It was always meant to be a starring vehicle for SJP. As the show evolved, the other three actress got more significant storylines, but SJP was always the star. Make no mistake about that.

by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2021 3:41 PM

Actually the other women always had their own storylines from episode 2 on.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2021 3:43 PM

They never really had their own story arcs until the third or fourth season.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2021 3:48 PM

We all know it was a starring vehicle for SJP and her horse face, but it was the other women and their chemistry that sustained the show and cemented its legacy. And yet over 20 years later, the Blu Ray release makes it look like the show and its legacy are attributed to SJP alone. That show wouldn't have lasted more than a season without the entire cast.

I'm glad Cattrall said like fuck that and knew her worth and her contributions to the show.

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2021 3:51 PM

[quote] MTM and Valerie Harper.

Never heard this about them. Valerie always spoke glowingly about MTM.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2021 3:51 PM

This video seems to explain the Bea/Betty problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2021 3:51 PM

Bert and Ernie.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2021 3:54 PM

Carol and Paula from The Magic Garden.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote] MTM and Valerie Harper.

This just isn’t true at all.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2021 4:09 PM

Kim Cattrall is a notorious cunt and always has been. Kate Jackson didn't like Cheryl because she was and is a nasty republicunt.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2021 4:11 PM

Gracie Allen and Bea Benaderet

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2021 4:18 PM

How interesting that most responses here involve female actresses. Meow.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2021 4:24 PM

Was there any friction between the original "Tales of the City" cast members? The very first one. In fact, the only decent one.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 4:33 PM

Vivian Vance and William Frawley couldn't stand each other apparently. Lucy at first didn't warm to Vivian because Vivian was really pretty. Lucy didn't want her to pull focus from her, so I think Vivian's contract made her gain something like 20 pounds while she was on the show. I think she probably lost them over the years as Lucy started to really like her though.

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2021 4:52 PM

Penny and Cindy got along well until the last season when Cindy got pregnant and was with bill Hudson. Penny always thought if her and Cindy could’ve gotten together by themselves they could’ve hashed things out. They reconciled a few years later.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2021 4:53 PM

They didn’t get along r45 and it’s been documented many times over the years how by season 3 they barely spoke and would count word for word to see who had more words to say. Not lines, but words.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2021 4:55 PM

I always thought Lauren Graham and Melissa McCarthy didn’t really like each other. Graham must be bitter that her former second banana is now an Oscar nominated superstar.

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2021 5:06 PM

They did get along R46. They had their squabbles but were able to sort their issues out. Cindy was at a lot of penny’s movie premieres and penny taught Cindy how to tap before Cindy did a tour of nunsence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2021 5:11 PM

Billy Crystal and Rebecca Balding from Soap HATED each other.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 5:38 PM

I thought Graham didn't get along with the guy who played Luke R47

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2021 5:51 PM

Graham didn't get along with anybody, R50, and Alexis Bledel wasn't much better. It was not a pleasant show to work on.

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2021 5:58 PM

Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan have addressed the issues and made up a long time ago. Kate has admitted she was a bitch to Jeri and that she was wrong. Very refreshing to see someone own up to their shit without a PR spin or other BS

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2021 5:59 PM

I heard the Gilmore Girls set was awful. Idk about Bledel but I know Graham was a nightmare, even extras have spoken about how terrible she was to them.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2021 6:00 PM

An infamous Facebook thread from when the revival was announced. It was taken down but this gossip queen took screenshots

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2021 6:04 PM

R31- Well , Mr. Ed was the star of his own show, so why not SJP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2021 6:05 PM

I never heard about them feuding, but does anyone know why Natalie West was phased out of Roseanne? The Crystal character was a key component of the show for the first few years until they stopped her altogether. Love Sandra Bernhard, but Nancy really became window dressing after Season 5. Crystal at least had a little more depth to her.

I know Ned Beatty refused to come back after his last appearance because the pay was so low and it wasn't worth the travel to LA. Perhaps they figured if he wasn't going to come back, then there was no reason for her to as well?

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2021 6:06 PM

I've read exactly the opposite about Shatner and Nimoy. Supposedly Nimoy was one of Shatner's few friends on Star Trek and their friendship lasted after the show was over.

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2021 6:06 PM

Hal Sparks and Gale Gordon from QAF.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2021 6:07 PM

[quote] From what I've read over the years, I don't think there was any love lost between Bob Denver and Tina Louise.

That's true. But no one else in the cast liked Tina either, and they all adored Bob Denver (who was by all accounts a very kind and gentle man).

Tina was very difficult--she thought she was much better than the show, and was angry she had to share the spotlight with Dawn Wells, who was also an incredibly sweet person. Denver often had to step in and protect Wells when Louise tried to keep her in the background.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2021 6:10 PM

The Roseanne set was notorious for its drama, conflicts, and guests being paid peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2021 6:12 PM

R54 is about the Gilmore revival

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2021 6:14 PM

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.

Couldn’t stand each other, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2021 6:15 PM

There was a woman who worked as Roseanne’s stand in for a few years (before being fired) who wrote about her terrible experience on the show. Roseanne was an asshole who would fire anyone and everyone who didn’t now to her and kiss her ass, or dared question her. Goodman was an absolute asshole and always coked out of his mind. The stand in said that when she would stand in for Roseanne (which was more often than she was supposed to because Roseanne was unprofessional and would show up whenever she wanted) she could see cocaine hanging off Goodman’s nose hairs.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2021 6:16 PM

Bow* to her

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2021 6:17 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to watch that fraufest Gilmore Girls. Even in the previews, you could tell what pretentious cunts they were.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2021 6:19 PM

Marshall and Williams have both described their friendship as familial, they were always fighting but they always made up. They were writing partners before Laverne and Shirley.

MTM and Valerie have also both spoken about how they had an instant rapport, they were both dancers and bonded over that and MTM would have a barre brought in for her and Valerie to do dance warm-ups before shows and rehearsals. I don't think MTM was close with many of her co-stars but she's gone out of her way to say Valerie was her friend and Valerie has said the same.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2021 6:21 PM

As everyone knows, Bill Shatner is a ridiculous egomaniac and is obsessed with being the center of attention. He was very jealous when Mr. Spock became the break-out character on "Star Trek." But Leonard Nimoy was a very patient man, and made it clear to Shatner he was not threatening his position as the actual star of the show. While the two had their ups and downs over the years, overall Nimoy seems to have worked best with Shatner of everyone else in the cast, and the two men stayed genuine friends when the show ended.

Shatner was terrible to the other supporting players, though. I've never heard Walter Koenig or DeForest Kelley complain about him, and of course he would have always been respectful to Majel Barrett Roddenberry; but James Doohan, Nichelle Nichols, and George Takei all have repeatedly said Shatner was a horrible person to work with. He worked to some degree later in life to make things up with them (for example, he made sure Nichols, who loves to sing and is quite talented at it, had a singing and dancing number in "Star Trek V," which he helmed), but he never made things up with Takei, who will have nothing to do with him if he can help it. And since Takei is such a terrific person (as everyone also knows), I think Shatner must have really treated him terribly.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2021 6:22 PM

MTM was also close with Betty White (whom she told producers to cast as Sue Ann--MTM and her then-husband Grant Tinker were close friends outside of work with Betty and her husband Allen Ludden). I know she was also lifelong friends with Ed Asner, despite the fact that their politics began to differ more and more as Moore grew older and became more conservative. And I think Moore was also very good friends with both Georgia Engel and Dick van Dyke (again, both Engel and Van Dyke started out as dancers).

She was a very complex woman. She started out as a liberal, but after her show ended she became more and more right-wing, until by the end she was a diehard Fox News fan. People also thought she was very warm because Mary rRchards was, but she had apparently a fairly distant personality. I think her father criticized her a lot when she was growing up.

by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2021 6:26 PM

I recall hearing that Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker had a very hot-and-cold relationship while working on "Perfect Strangers": some days they got along great and other days they would barely speak to each other.

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote]Kate Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan have addressed the issues and made up a long time ago. Kate has admitted she was a bitch to Jeri and that she was wrong. Very refreshing to see someone own up to their shit without a PR spin or other BS

Kate Mulgrew had spent years fighting for more female characters in positions of authority on TV shows. Even in the early days of Voyager she had to fight for her character to make all of the decisions that a starship captain should be expected to make, and not "leave the hard stuff to the man" (Chakotay in this case, and Janeway's all-embracing grasp of her captaincy left him with not a lot to do - which might explain some of Robert Beltran's dickishness). Then along comes Seven of Nine, who, at least initially, seemed to be included solely for fan-service. To Mulgrew's mind, Jeri Ryan seemed quite happy to go along with this. It left Mulgrew feeling a bit defeated and betrayed. But, as you say, she eventually realised that she was directing her ire at entirely the wrong person, and apologised. While they are never likely to be best friends, Ryan and Mulgrew at least have developed a respectful and cordial working relationship.

by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote]MTM and Valerie Harper.

Couldn’t stand each other is certainly not true. There was something going on but it was much more subtle and the actresses actually got along quite well.

Mary had wanted to branch out as a film star but that didn’t work out so she went back to tv. At least on her tv shoe she would be the unquestioned star.

But it soon became apparent Harper was a scene stealer. Since she was around for comic relief, she ended up getting most of the laughs. As Moore herself was a comic actress, and it was HER show, she felt a bit overshone by this second-banana show.

It only got worse as the years went on. Basically everyone on the show was glad to see her leave. And not because they didn’t like her at all — she just was a breakout star who got all the attention. Once she was gone the male stars got a lot more screen time and Moore delivered more of the big laughs.

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2021 6:27 PM

[quote]Was Alyssa Milano that difficult on the “Charmed” set? I know she had problems with Shannen Doherty, but Rose McGowan too?

Shannen Doherty and Rose McGowan are both ginormous cunts, so is it really Alyssa who was difficult?

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

^^^ second banana PART

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

That post that r54 links to is ridiculous. Why would anyone not watch "Gilmore Girls" just because some minor guest actor on it felt mistreated by the other people working on the show? Especially given that he refuses to provide any specifics.

Actors are so awesomely self-centered.

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

Linda Lavin and Polly Holliday as Alice and Flo

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Reportedly, Jackie Gleason and Art Carney always got along fine until Carney won the Oscar, which made Gleason jealous and they stopped speaking for a while. I think he later got over it and they were fine again.

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2021 6:29 PM

Peter Krause and Rachel Griffiths loathed each other on the set of "Six Feet Under," but the producers thought that made them generate more sexual energy. Apparently she was one of those many actors who would not use deodorant so she always stank, and he hated doing intimate scenes with her.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 6:30 PM

R41 WHELLLL!

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 6:30 PM

Valerie Harper and Sandy Duncan

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 6:30 PM

I thought Leonard Nimoy was the only member of the Star Trek cast who actually did get along with William Shatner? They were good friends for years after the show ended but fell out a few years before Nimoy died.

by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2021 6:34 PM

Mary was very close with Valerie, Betty White, Ed and Ted Knight. Betty and Alan would frequently vacation with Mary and Grant. Ed was very close to Mary's son, and Mary personally requested that he give the eulogy at his funeral.

Cloris was the only one who seemed to have a distant relationship with her, but given the stories one has heard about Cloris, it might be more on her end than on Mary's.

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2021 6:35 PM

R80 it’s explained upthread at r67

Mulgrew didn’t apologize to Ryan until AFTER the show ended. She treated Ryan like shit up to the finale.

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote] I've never heard Walter Koenig or DeForest Kelley complain about him

I don't know about Koenig, but DeForest Kelley seems to have been beloved by the whole cast. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything remotely bad about him, apart from, I think, Leonard Nimoy observing that he could be a bit tetchy while he was trying to learn his lines.

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2021 6:47 PM

Katherine Heigl was supposedly a nightmare on Grey’s.

But a lot of them were.

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2021 6:48 PM

R84 Heigl is the only one that Shonda has publicly said would never be invited back

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2021 6:50 PM

I’m sure McDreamy will be added to that list after people recently started speaking out r85

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2021 6:51 PM

Wasn’t Roseanne such a nightmare during the original run that they filmed an episode without her to possibly move the show forward without her?

Basically what ended up happening to her with the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2021 6:52 PM

R86 he was invited back this year. And he's dead so...

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2021 6:52 PM

Melissa Sue Anderson and Linwood Boomer. No love lost there.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2021 6:58 PM

Melissa Sue Anderson and Melissa Gilbert. No love lost there

Melissa Sue Anderson and Allison Arngrim. No love lost there

I think MSA might have been the problem…

by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2021 7:02 PM

I don't know if his co-stars actively disliked him but I do recall hearing that Guy Williams was kind of a diva on the set of "Lost in Space." In contrast, Jonathan Harris was said to be one of the nicest people in the business.

by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2021 7:03 PM

R91, It has been said that Jonathan Harris had a very good personal relationship with the producers, and they allowed him - even encouraged him - to take liberties with the script and big up his part. Guy Williams wasn't afforded the same privilege and felt that he was being sidelined by Harris. Which, of course, is true. It was very quickly obvious which of the two of them had the greater screen presence, and it wasn't Williams.

by Anonymousreply 92September 18, 2021 7:06 PM

Julia Louis Dreyfuss and Patrick Warburton

by Anonymousreply 93September 18, 2021 7:09 PM

But who wanted to look at Harris' mug when you could gaze at the snack that was Guy Williams?

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2021 7:09 PM

Really, r93? Any details?

by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2021 7:22 PM

Since Shannen Doherty was brought up in relation to Charmed, I'll add 90210 to the list.

They've since put aside their differences, but Shannon and Jennie Garth didn't get along despite playing best friends.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2021 7:24 PM

The one who played Janeway made 7 of 9s life hell on set. That was the only reason she married the ugly writer/producer. To get some work peace. Then she promptly divorced super fug.

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2021 7:27 PM

She didn’t get along with Tori either r96

She was a bitch to everyone.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 7:27 PM

Yes, Mulgrew even tried making it a rule that Ryan could not use the bathroom during filming hours (which went on for 10+ hours a day) because she took too long to get in and out of her skintight costume.

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2021 7:28 PM

I thought Jeri Ryan married fugly Brannon Braga, turns out she only dated him for several years while on her run with Voyager. Just imagine having that nerd on top of you! She would've had to seriously plug her nose for three years. I loved Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan. They were the only stars who mattered on that show.

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2021 7:34 PM

r71

You're spinning it too negatively. Ed Asner said that everyone loved Valerie Harper but when she got her own show the entire cast was glad because it meant more stories and time for them. They all knew that Rhoda was the breakout and writers favored the character, rather than Harper. So with her gone, the rest of the cast got more of a chance to shine.

It wasn't hate it was just more advantageous to their career. Asner also said he didn't know till late in the show's run that MTM did not think Asner was right for the part. They had a hard time filling it. Gavin McLeod actually got the part of Lou and asked if he could read for Murray instead (at the time Murray was more adversarial to Mary Richards). He read for Murray and got it. But they had a hard time finding "a Lou," so they even asked Gavin if he'd reconsider and do Lou.

Then one of the shows production recommended Ed Asner who read and was turned down. Ed said he left and came back and asked what they wanted of them, they told him and he re-read for the part and got it, subject to MTM's approval. When Asner and MTM read together MTM didn't think he was a good Lou, but the producers told her she was wrong and she agreed to go along with him.

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

Sasha Alexander and Angie Harmon were actually friends in real-life in the early seasons of "Rizzoli and Isles" and would be photographed shopping together.

Angie was always paid more and had showrunner Jan Nash (Ellen) wrapped around her finger. Angie ended dominating the storylines, ultimately pushing to call the show just "Rizzoli"

Angie's daughter was given a role on the show (barf) and her kids were always hanging around set. Though she constantly mentioned during interviews that she moved them away to North Carolina and did not want them growing up in LA.

Angie would direct an episode. Sasha would direct an episode. The final two seasons they barely spoke off set and you can see on camera that they rarely make eye contact.

They wouldn't even share the same shuttle to the Paramount backlot the last season when they shot exteriors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2021 7:43 PM

[quote]Gracie Allen and Bea Benaderet...—Mary Livingstone

Both George and Gracie disliked Mary a lot. Gracie only put up with her because George and Jack were BFF.

Jack dated a lady named Mary Kelly who played "Bubbles" on "Burns and Allen" (radio) and other parts.

Mary Kelly was good friends with Gracie. Jack dumped Mary Kelly because she wasn't Jewish and that became one of the few problems Jack and George had. George also being a Jew married Catholic Gracie. George said, he was just too weak of a man to do what his heart told him to do.

Mary Livingstone was described as too controlling of Jack.

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2021 7:45 PM

On a side note: In one of his books George Burns said the only two people he disliked were "Groucho" and "Rudy Valley."

He said Rudy had hygiene issues so it was more about that than personality.

He said "Groucho" was too crude, rude and off color. He'd tell dirty jokes around Gracie and other women and he described them as too dirty for men to hear much less women.

On the other hand he said he loved "Harpo" and "Chico"

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2021 7:47 PM

R104 George and Chico are in the same mausoleum at Forest Lawn in Glendale

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 7:53 PM

Shirley Booth was also described as "hard to work with," simply because she took her roles too seriously.

Shirley originally read for "Miss Brooks" in "Our Miss Brooks" on radio and was preaching to everyone all about the plight of school teacher. She didn't get past the pilot.

Same thing for Hazel, she spend the entire show's run speaking up on the plight of maids. She was by all accounts pleasant enough but her preaching to her castmates was off putting..

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 7:54 PM

LOL R41 I love you !!!

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 7:54 PM

I heard SMG was a bitch to her costars on Buffy.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 7:54 PM

R107 you love to compliment yourself, huh?

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 7:55 PM

Louise's relationship with the rest of the Gilligan's Island cast was complicated. Dawn Wells says there was no competition between her and Louise because Louise was a big star and she wasn't. Wells said not for one minute did she ever think she could compete with her.

Wells went on to say that whilst she got the most fan letters most of hers were from little children and if you counted only fan letters from men, Tina Louise easily got the most.

Sherwood Schwartz said Louise was the hardest to deal with whilst doing the first rescue movie. He said, he guaranteed NBC he could get six of the seven original cast. He knew he couldn't get Louise and then when he asked her and expected her to turn it down, she didn't. Then she did, then she changed her mind and again changed her mind.

Tina Louise said she WANTED to do the first reunion movie but was conflicted and so she kept changing her mind each time asking for more money so she could say "Well I did it because they threw all this money at me." But that never happend obviously.

Louise's problem was less about the other cast members and just simply she didn't want to be there at all.

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2021 8:01 PM

Cloris was a huge character and while incredibly gifted, a complete eccentric onset. She drove the director and cameramen crazy by leaving her mark all the time during scenes. Sandrich could often be heard bellowing “CLORIS!” when she would leave the shot or block another actor.

She also ad-libbed constantly and while her improvisation was typically brilliant, it frequently wrongfooted the person who has to reply. It drove asner crazy. That said he was dying to fuck her because she radiated intense sexual energy. She used to tease him a lot about sleeping with him if he did this or that for her.

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2021 8:09 PM

One reason Natalie West’s time on Roseanne was cut down because she spoke to an author who was writing a book on Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2021 8:13 PM

R101 I never said anything different. I said they all liked her and got along well, never used the word hate once.

But the fact that Mary was jealous of Valerie shining on the show has been confirmed, as well as the male stars feeling sidelined by all the Mary-Rhoda apartment scenes.

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2021 8:20 PM

Not TV friends, but TV brothers, Jameson Parker and Gerald McRaney on 'Simon and Simon' did not get along for the first two seasons. It wasn't that they hated each other, but that they were very different personalities. Once they became accustomed to each other's work, they became friends and ended up bonding over right wing politics.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2021 8:25 PM

I don't think Nia Peeples' co-stars on "Fame" were shedding any tears after she left the series halfway through the 6th and final season.

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2021 8:26 PM

[quote] She drove the director and cameramen crazy by leaving her mark all the time during scenes.

She crop dusted the cast and crew?

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2021 8:28 PM

Bert and Ernie.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2021 8:31 PM

Joshua Jackson and Anna Torv on Fringe loathed each other.

The same thing with Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion on Castle.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 8:32 PM

"Castle: Stana Katic vs. Nathan Fillion Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion, who played a married couple Richard Castle and Kate Beckett on the long-running ABC drama Castle, had major friction behind the scenes, Us Weekly exclusively revealed in April 2016. “Stana would go in her dressing room and cry,” a source told Us. “Nathan has been nasty to Stana for a long time.” Another insider added, “It got so out of hand they made Stana and Nathan go to couples counseling together.” While Katic’s rep denied she had any issues with her costar, the actress announced she was leaving the show after eight seasons in April, and a month later, ABC opted not to renew the series. " (Courtesy US Magazine)

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 8:33 PM

IMO, Betty White's normal personality is Pollyanna-ish. Bea Arthur was more of a realist, plus Bea was a known alcoholic (drinking while working) and that was obviously a problem. I can see Bea being irritated with Betty's chirpy personality.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 8:46 PM

Rumors were that Vicki Lawrence (Mama's Family) wasn't so easy to work with and was jealous of Beverly Archer (Iola), who the fans, including me, loved.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 8:47 PM

Roseanne Barr must have been hellish to work for. When ABC (or whatever network) decided to part ways with Barr, nobody was loyal to Roseanne. Not saying that people don't take care of their own interests, but none of them appeared conflicted about continuing the show without Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2021 8:49 PM

R122 I just read an article that talked about how when NBC was considering Downward Mobility, the refused to give her any power over writing. They weren't going to be another ABC. Clearly they probably knew making a pilot with her was a waste of time. Roseanne could never change her spots and become randomly cooperative and respectful.

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2021 9:03 PM

Mary Kate and Ashley.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2021 10:54 PM

R48 that was over 30 years later and obviously with the passage of decades they glossed over their “differences,” but that set was pretty much a war zone, and anyone who ever worked on the show more of less called it the worst professional experience of their life. They definitely reconciled at some point (they were friends before the show so it makes sense) but during the run of the show it was never pretty.

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2021 10:59 PM

Nothing on the Pretty Little Liars bitches, there must have been complicated webs of animosity going on between all those backstabbers and a few of the guys too.

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2021 11:15 PM

r31 yeah not true at all it was totally ensemble at the start - It was more than just Carrie, Miranda, Samatha and Charlotte - watch the early first season shows. It got tooled into the four women as they were the strongest of the ensemble.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2021 11:34 PM

Cindy Williams always comes off like a bit of a pill in interviews so I’m not going out of my way to defend her but it had to be hard on Laverne & Shirley with Garry Marshall in charge and Penny as the co-lead. I’m sure she must have felt like the outsider no matter how fair they tried to be

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 11:53 PM

[quote]I don't know if his co-stars actively disliked him but I do recall hearing that Guy Williams was kind of a diva on the set of "Lost in Space." In contrast, Jonathan Harris was said to be one of the nicest people in the business.

I highly recommend the Television Academy's series of interviews with Bill Mumy, who comes off as the nicest guy alive. He says Guy Williams thought he was the star of the show, but the breakout characters were Dr. Smith, the Robot, and Will Robinson. Guy Williams ended up retiring somewhere in South America where they worshiped him as a major star from "Zorro" reruns.

Mumy is still tight friends with Angela Cartwright and June Lockhart; he says Lockhart was a rock-and-roll fan who had the Allman Brothers play a party at her house (!).

Jonathan Harris was exactly what you would expect, a complete eccentric who had invented himself as a distinguished English actor even though he was from the Bronx.

Years later, when "Celebrity Family Feud" was doing a "Lost in Space" reunion, Harris called Mumy. Mumy said he couldn't fit it into his schedule, and Harris purred in delight, "Dear boy, without you and me they don't have a show."

by Anonymousreply 129September 19, 2021 12:01 AM

R127 yes they all had their own storylines but SJP was always above the title from the start - she was the star of the show (and the only “name” actress going into it). These other shows most of the actors were billed fairly equally but their was never even a pretense of that here.

by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2021 12:02 AM

R103 Mary Livingstone (born Sadie Marks) was insecure about her talent and was jealous of Gracie Allen’s comedic genius. Mary married into show business, whereas Jack, George, and Gracie grew up in Vaudeville. That said, Mary could deliver sarcastic or sardonic lines and gets laughs as loud and long as the other actors on the Jack Benny radio show. Nevertheless, she sometimes fainted before going on the air live. I think Mary’s insecurity led at least in part to her unpleasant behavior.

by Anonymousreply 131September 19, 2021 12:08 AM

Gumby and Pokey had to be separated frequently after drug fueled pugilistic embarrassments.

by Anonymousreply 132September 19, 2021 12:16 AM

You mentioned THOOOSSEEEE names without putting GOLDEN GIRLS in the title?!?

Hissssssssssssssssssssss!

by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 12:16 AM

Mary was a golddigger who spent Jack's money on herself while relegating him to his own small bedroom in his own house (she got the lavish master suite to herself). All she ever talked about were things she had bought or wanted to buy. That's why Jack's friends all disliked her. Even her own daughter loathed Mary.

by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 12:17 AM

“Let’s let bygones be bygones (cunt)!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2021 12:29 AM

R135 thing is I never even believed them as friends on the show, did you? Janet and Terri were far more believable as good friends.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 12:50 AM

I couldn't stand that Richardson cunt.

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 12:56 AM

R136 What always bugged me about 3s Company is how did the two girls masturbate? Most girls need to pound their mound every day like guys. I can't imagine sharing the same room with someone as I need to rub it out several times a day.

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 1:01 AM

I’ll bet Jack Tripper’s bedroom walls were splattered with his spunk.

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2021 1:05 AM

Agnes Moorehead was very friendly with Dick York on Bewitched, and thought he was perfect for the role. When Dick Sargent took over after York's injury, Moorehead was not happy at all.

by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2021 1:05 AM

R140 I always thought Dick York was hot. I loved his tall skinny body and he was a great actor. Even though Sargent is gay, I always hated him. He just seemed too mean and couldn't act worth shit. Ironic since he was the producers first choice as Darren.

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 1:18 AM

R138 ummmm women can go months without anything. They’re nothing like us.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 1:20 AM

Buck and Eddie on ‘911’. Oliver Stark slammed Ryan Guzman on social media last year over the n-word controversy and they (gasp!) unfollowed each other on Instagram. Each still follows their other 911 co-stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 1:20 AM

R142 and you have spoken to every woman on earth to know this, asshat? Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 1:21 AM

R144 grow the fuck up already.

R143 Guzman is lucky he didn’t get fired.

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 1:22 AM

I will grow the fuck up and suffocate you with my fierce hairy snatch, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2021 1:27 AM

Never heard that about Sargent and Moorehead before. Very interesting. If true, I wonder how open she was about expressing her unhappiness with him given that he and Elizabeth Montgomery were best friends off-camera.

I know it's the minority opinion but I actually thought Sargent was fine in the role. Dick York was definitely better because his take on the role was far more comical and Sargent's far more stern, which could be too abrasive at times. What saved the performance (in my opinion at least) was the fact he was very good in his snarky exchanges with Endora and, of course, his chemistry with both Montgomery and David White (Larry). But yes, if forced to choose, I would go with York.

by Anonymousreply 147September 19, 2021 1:29 AM

Dick Sargent wins for one of the worst actors in history. He has never been good in anything he has done. Dude has always sucked the big one.

by Anonymousreply 148September 19, 2021 1:32 AM

Rahul Kohli and Robert Buckley were real life BFFs when they were on “iZombie” together. Now neither follows each other on Twitter or Instagram. A romantic fling gone south or perhaps professional jealousy? Rahul has gone on to do a couple of high profile Netflix series, while Buckley is stuck mostly doing Hallmark movies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 19, 2021 1:34 AM

Let Me Tell You About Deb Messing (and Megan Mullally).

by Anonymousreply 150September 19, 2021 1:42 AM

Dick York was odd and quirky in what is basically a drab role. It worked. The other Dick was drab in a drab role. It didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 151September 19, 2021 1:43 AM

Debra Messing bullied Megan

by Anonymousreply 152September 19, 2021 1:55 AM

No mention of the friend of Desperate Housewives? Not sure if they all hate each others or just Terry Hatcher.

by Anonymousreply 153September 19, 2021 1:57 AM

R4 Apparently they actually weren't until the last 2 seasons

by Anonymousreply 154September 19, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote] What saved the performance (in my opinion at least) was the fact he was very good in his snarky exchanges with Endora and, of course, his chemistry with both Montgomery and David White (Larry).

David White was great as Larry Tate on Bewitched. So natural. Like Dave Madden, Mr. Kincaid on Partridge Family. You don't even think they're acting. You think it's the real person's personality. Or at least I did.

by Anonymousreply 155September 19, 2021 2:05 AM

I was prepared to join Team Meghan on the WILL & GRACE wars until the final season, when MM pulled a complete self-destruct act. She alienated not only Messing but Sean Hayes, Eric McCormack, and the producers. MM also infamously raised a ruckus when she was supposed to do a revival of a play in NYC that she ultimately walked away from.

The woman has talent but she has seriously burned bridges. She has two Emmys--and she's doing V/O parts on animated series right now.

by Anonymousreply 156September 19, 2021 2:07 AM

^Megan, not Meghan

by Anonymousreply 157September 19, 2021 2:07 AM

R156 I was going to say I know everyone hates Deb Messing on here but wasn’t it really MM who made all the trouble?

Her surgery is also very startling but that’s for another thread.

by Anonymousreply 158September 19, 2021 2:12 AM

DIDNT Messing get people to turn on Megan? She claims that.

by Anonymousreply 159September 19, 2021 2:17 AM

According to William Froug, who was brought in as producer of Bewitched for a year, Montgomery did not like York and thought he had an unhealthy interest in her (Froug thought this interest on his part was true). Moorehead respected and liked York who had a very good body of work, mostly in tv. Moorhead didn’t care for Sargent (this has been noted here many times), who wasn’t a very good actor. By the time he joined the show, the writing was becoming formulaic and they recycled a lot of the same ideas. Marion Lorne was gone and Sandra Gould was never as good as Alice Pearce. It really wasn’t a very good show by then but ABC through money and ownership (a good way to avoid high marginal tax rates) to keep it on the air. Sargent might have stood out more in his badness if the other elements weren’t getting weaker, as well. York was in great pain from his back problems and was at the end of his standard 5 year contract, so owners way or another he was on his way out.

by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2021 2:18 AM

Was York married at the time he was doing Bewitched? If so, what a messy, unhealthy situation that must have been if he had feelings for Montgomery and a wife at home.

by Anonymousreply 161September 19, 2021 2:22 AM

I saw an interview with York on YouTube. This could be it. He admits to falling in love with Elizabeth Montgomery. Who wouldn't fall in love with her. However, IMO, he seemed creepy about it.

Agree that he was a better Darren than Dick Sargent, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 19, 2021 2:26 AM

It's interesting that some TV couples who either weren't the best of friends (Shelley Long, Ted Danson; Elizabeth Montgomery, Dick York) or who really disliked each other (Vivian Vance, William Frawley) had excellent chemistry on screen.

by Anonymousreply 163September 19, 2021 2:29 AM

Frawley seemed like an asshole and had no business criticizing anyone's looks. Poor Vivian.

by Anonymousreply 164September 19, 2021 2:33 AM

R156 I have a smidgen of inside knowledge on the W&G revival. Debra Messing was uber cunty that "once again, I want to remind everyone that the show is Will & GRACE, and you are writing better stuff for Megan" sort of vibe. I think Megan was just over it by the time the revival was about one season in. Allegedly, Messing had so much personal drama going on, and Megan just didn't care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 165September 19, 2021 2:39 AM

I think Bill once referred to Viv's body as "a sack of door knobs". She actually grew more attractive as the series went on, and she had it all over a hard and bitter looking Lucy by the final couple of seasons. The longer, teased hair was a very complimentary look on her.

by Anonymousreply 166September 19, 2021 2:42 AM

Didn’t they all despise the monkey on Friends? Did he ever work again?

by Anonymousreply 167September 19, 2021 2:49 AM

R167 yes, they hated him. Courtney was terrified of it and struggled to film scenes with him, and David was over it. It was a struggle to have to act alongside a monkey

by Anonymousreply 168September 19, 2021 2:50 AM

Frawley wasn’t necessarily sexy in his high-waisted pants. What a miserable guy.

by Anonymousreply 169September 19, 2021 2:50 AM

The Friends cast were not very nice to their Guest stars after season 2. Many Guest stars have spoken about how unwelcoming they were, especially Kathleen Turner

by Anonymousreply 170September 19, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote] especially Kathleen Turner

Consider the source.

by Anonymousreply 171September 19, 2021 2:56 AM

Fred Dryer and Stepfanie Kramer were very friendly until he got creative control of “Hunter”. Then it all fell apart. Dryer was such a dick to his next co-star he ran her out the door as well.

By the time Lauren Lane joined the cast, the show in the dumper.

Also r170 I just read that about Turner. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

It was always rumored the “Night Court” cast had issues. Lots of quirky personalities there so no surprise. I can’t believe so many of them are gone now.

by Anonymousreply 172September 19, 2021 2:58 AM

R160, I was going to say Dick York had to lay down on the floor for a short period between takes, he had so much back pain. He tried prescription drugs but they made him groggy onset, so he had to stop. It was not a production decision based on talent to replace him, it was for his medical benefit.

by Anonymousreply 173September 19, 2021 2:58 AM

Megan M recently backed out of the Anything Goes revival in the West End. Sutton Foster stepped in and it’s a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 174September 19, 2021 2:59 AM

I can’t watch Night Court now. It feels dark.

by Anonymousreply 175September 19, 2021 3:01 AM

What was life like on the set of "Hogan's Heroes"? Did they all get along?

by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2021 3:47 AM

I grew up on Bewitched reruns and as a kid, I could barely tell York and Sargent apart because the resemblance was so uncanny. Their performances and their relationships with the rest of the cast might have been different, but they looked like the same person to my little kid eyes. I don't think any show has done a better job at replacing a key actor.

by Anonymousreply 177September 19, 2021 3:59 AM

LOL. Are you retarded? They look nothing alike.

by Anonymousreply 178September 19, 2021 4:03 AM

ahem, r177.

by Anonymousreply 179September 19, 2021 4:04 AM

All Dicks look alike!

by Anonymousreply 180September 19, 2021 4:05 AM

[quote]I was going to say Dick York had to lay down on the floor for a short period between takes, he had so much back pain. He tried prescription drugs but they made him groggy onset, so he had to stop.

Toward the end, the number of episodes where Darrin was flat on the couch during a scene became noticeable, particularly since he was such a physical actor.

by Anonymousreply 181September 19, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote] Louise's problem was less about the other cast members and just simply she didn't want to be there at all.

Bob Denver never missed an opportunity to badmouth Tina Louise when he was in a documentary or a guest on a talk show. I think the only time he didn’t badmouth her was when there was a reunion on some 1980s talk show and she showed up. He didn’t have the nerve to badmouth her to her face, he did it when she wasn’t around. It wasn’t typical for Hollywood people to spend *years* pointedly slagging former coworkers. The other cast members seemed uncomfortable about the whole thing, basically viewing Louise as typical of a certain sort of Hollywood starlet - eccentric, egotistical, exasperating, but harmless. Denver, on the other hand, seemed like a really hateful grudge-holder.

Tracey Ullman did not get along with James Brooks, the producer of her 1980s Fox variety show. Once, she screamed “Dont forget - it’s the Tracey Ullman Show and [italic] I’m [/italic] Tracey Ullman,” to which Brooks retorted, “Dont forget- I’m [italic] ‘the show’ [/italic]”

It’s amazing to remember The Simpsons started on the Tracey Ullman Show. It was my least favorite part of the show. But it was damn good for regular food cast members Dan Castallaneta & Julie Kavner, who got to voice Homer and Marge Simpson for decades.

by Anonymousreply 182September 19, 2021 5:03 AM

Barry Livingston, who played Ernie on My Three Sons liked William Frawley, who played Bub. He said Frawley was fun and his grouchiness off stage was more of a put-on. Demarest, on the other hand, was not fun and his grouchiness was real. Demarest & Frawley did not like each other. Frawley wasn’t happy to hear Demarest would be his replacement. They crossed paths on the set and it was not good.

by Anonymousreply 183September 19, 2021 5:30 AM

I sympathize with Vivian Vance. Why was William Frawley cast to play her husband? He's 20 years older than her and he looked like somebody's Grandpa. Of course they had chemistry issues playing a couple. Their marriage never made sense on that show since even their characters couldnt stand each other (at least their mutual disdain translated well to the screen).

Vance and Frawley's age difference reminds me of John Amos/Esther Rolle and Sherman Helmsley/Isabel Sanford. Both Rolle and Sanford were 20 years older than their TV husbands and I remember reading that the age difference created an initial awkwardness between the actors.

by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2021 6:00 AM

Not to veer off into soaps, but if we are talking about romantic pairings who hated each other, Kate Collins and James Kiberd, Natalie and Trevor on AMC. The pairing started off great, but they eventually hated each other. The show kept putting their characters back together because the fans demanded it. When Collins abruptly left, even Entertainment Weekly covered it, alleging that Collins had brought sexual harassment charges against him, but ABC sided with him and she said fuck it, I’m out.

Clearly they realized that was a mistake and brought the divine Collins back a few times, but she never shared any scenes with that gross pig Kiberd, and they eventually killed off Trevor. A few months back Kiberd was on one of those Zoom cast reunions and he avoided any discussion of their storylines.

by Anonymousreply 185September 19, 2021 1:56 PM

R184, the Mertzes were a believable 60s couple. Obviously they married when she had looks and he had more money than some, but there were no children and they didn't like each other much, and by the time period of the show she was spending all her time with her best pal and he was a prematurely old grouch. But divorces were limited and neither was cheating, so they just maintained the status quo. Lots of married people lived that way, when women had no money of their own and men didn't want to pay alimony.

by Anonymousreply 186September 19, 2021 2:08 PM

R107 I think SMG was close to the cast until season 3 and then something changed. Maybe she was over the show 🤔

R126 I think the only nice one was Shay? There was drama because Lucy slept with Ashley's bf.

by Anonymousreply 187September 19, 2021 2:15 PM

It was very common for women to marry men older than them back then.

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2021 2:17 PM

I was shocked to discover (after the show was over) that Isabel Sanford was so much older than Sherman Hemsley. She didn't look it. For me, their age difference was never an issue.

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2021 2:29 PM

I always felt bad for Ethel and Fred because I always assumed they couldn’t have kids.

by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2021 2:32 PM

[quote]I loved Mulgrew and Jeri Ryan. They were the only stars who mattered on that show.

True, and also Robert Picardo. Those three were truly talented and their characters were interesting. The rest of the Voyager cast were rather dull and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2021 2:50 PM

Btw, William Frawley was fired from My Three Sons because of his drinking.

“By 1965, a combination of alcoholism and old age made it increasingly difficult for William to perform on the show. He continued to flub his lines, resulting in take after take of unusable footage. He would also reportedly doze off on set. Eventually, the studio hired a prop man to lie on the floor just out of view of the camera and tap William on the foot in order to keep him from nodding off during close-up shots. The situation soon became untenable. During Season 5 of My Three Sons, William was in such ill health that he couldn’t pass the studio’s annual health insurance exam, making him a liability.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2021 3:00 PM

R191 Agreed. I loved Picardo, too. He did so much with what could have been a throwaway role. His voice was 80% of his emotional resonance. If only all actors had such awesome voice control/modulation. I only watched the seasons with Jeri Ryan. Without her, the show was nothing. That Kes character was absolutely nothing.

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2021 3:06 PM

Is anyone surprised that uber-woke Debra Messing is evil?

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2021 3:16 PM

All the cast members sucked when they returned for the awful, unfunny reboot of the series. It couldn't work and it didn't work. Life and politics had changed too much for it to be funny. I loved the original run of WandG, Sean and Megan were the only ones who mattered to me. The other two may as well have never existed. Their characters and arcs were fucking boring.

by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2021 3:24 PM

They played friends in sketches, but Carol Burnett and Vicki Lawrence have had an on and off again relationship throughout the years.

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2021 3:48 PM

One of my friends worked on W and G as a writer, and he said Sean Hayes was the only nice and functional one among the four leads. Mullally was a drunk, Messing was an insecure and vain idiot obsessed with her hair, and McCormack was sour and unlikable.

by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2021 3:54 PM

R196 I've never heard that

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2021 3:55 PM

R197 sure.

I’ve actually heard Megan was the most hard working and professional of the four, with NBC even gifting her a super expensive car during the shows original run as a thank you for her hard work and never being difficult etc.

Idk about Sean Hayes but I know the other two didn’t get one.

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2021 3:57 PM

Didn't NBC give each of them a Porsche Boxster, r199? I recall an interview in which Eric talked about it.

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2021 4:01 PM

R200

R197 makes up a lot of stupid shit

by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2021 4:05 PM

R134, Adopted daughter Joan Benny wrote a book after Jack died in which she praised him but trashed Mary Livingstone.

by Anonymousreply 202September 19, 2021 4:12 PM

Mary Livingstone was a grade A "see you next Tuesday".

by Anonymousreply 203September 19, 2021 4:13 PM

Peter Lawford absolutely despised Phyllis Kirk, his co-star on "The Thin Man" television series.

by Anonymousreply 204September 19, 2021 4:13 PM

R202, R203, R134 Even Lucy hated her

by Anonymousreply 205September 19, 2021 4:14 PM

A little obscure, but John Pleshette (Richard Avery) and Jim Houghton (Kenny Ward) from Knots Landing. Pleshette has said that Houghton did not like him, and the feeling was mutual.

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2021 4:30 PM

R198 Joe Hamilton tried to get Vicki fired for getting pregnant during the Burnett shows run. Burnett fought for her to come back, but Carol and Vicki never talked about the incident personally.

Then there was tension during Mama's Families original run as well, given that Burnett and Hamilton were going through a divorce and were hardly speaking to each other.

A year after the NBC run ended. Joe Hamilton called Vicki to ask her if she was interested in doing a Mama's Family syndication version, and she agreed. A couple of days afterwards Carol called up asking if Vicki wanted to do a syndicated Mama's Family show with her. When Vicki said she was doing the show with Joe, Carol got real cold and cut short the phone call. They didn't speak for years afterwards.

Then there was rumored to be some drama over Vicki going out on the road with her one woman show because Carol owned the rights to the Mama character and wanted to be financially compensated. Vicki was a noticeable no show around this time at Carol's Kennedy Center Honors, even though Harvey, Tim and Lyle showed up.

They've been back on good terms since then.

by Anonymousreply 207September 19, 2021 4:42 PM

R207 Interesting - thanks!

by Anonymousreply 208September 19, 2021 4:56 PM

R201 I think clearly Mullally was the most professional and perfectionist in her job of the four. She had the best knack for physical comedy and better comedic timing than the other three combined. Sean was second.

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2021 5:09 PM

Even as a kid I always got the sense that the cast of The Carol Burnett Show did not really care for each other - except for maybe Harvey and Tim.

by Anonymousreply 210September 19, 2021 5:13 PM

Vicki Lawrence had a daytime talk show in the early 90s (didn't everyone?) that hung in--just barely--for 2 seasons.

At the time she gave a surprisingly frank print interview where she said she was doing the show because she'd run out of money, and pointedly said that her "other projects" (meaning: the Carol B Show and Mama's Family) had made a lot of money for other people--but not so much for her. And that she was so strongly identified with those brands that she rarely got other work. I recall her saying that right before the talk show, she was struggling to even pay her SAG dues, which is kinda shocking.

Hope she's in better $$$ shape now.

by Anonymousreply 211September 19, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]A year after the NBC run ended. Joe Hamilton called Vicki to ask her if she was interested in doing a Mama's Family syndication version, and she agreed. A couple of days afterwards Carol called up asking if Vicki wanted to do a syndicated Mama's Family show with her. When Vicki said she was doing the show with Joe, Carol got real cold and cut short the phone call. They didn't speak for years afterwards.

Didn't Carol make guest appearances on the syndicated version or was that only during the show's NBC run? Actually, I think it's kind of a shame that the version Carol wanted to do didn't get out the gate first. I'm sure it would have been far superior to the watered-down version of the sketches we got with "Mama's Family."

by Anonymousreply 212September 19, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote]At the time she gave a surprisingly frank print interview where she said she was doing the show because she'd run out of money, and pointedly said that her "other projects" (meaning: the Carol B Show and Mama's Family) had made a lot of money for other people.

Don't forget her ex-husband who got all "The Nights the Lights Went Out in Georgia" royalties.

by Anonymousreply 213September 19, 2021 5:28 PM

Carol didn't have anything to do with the syndicated show. And she doesn't talk about Mama's Family at all in interviews.

It wasn't a very happy time in her life as she was going through a bitter divorce. Vicki got caught in the middle of the drama.

by Anonymousreply 214September 19, 2021 5:30 PM

Vicki Lawrence had a hit record with "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia".

Dick York also was a dramatic actor, having appeared in the Broadway and movie versions of the very prestigious "Inherit the Wind" as the Scopes-based character on trial.

by Anonymousreply 215September 19, 2021 5:54 PM

R215 Ok thanks for that

by Anonymousreply 216September 19, 2021 5:57 PM

Vicki also wrote a book and was not kind to Harvey Korman. Carol was pissed at Vicki’s lack of loyalty. I don’t think Vicky and Harvey ever spoke again. I’m team Carol. Loyalty is everything.

by Anonymousreply 217September 19, 2021 5:58 PM

Interesting that Vicki badmouthed Harvey Korman, because she has credited him with showing her how to play Mama differently (i.e., more sympathetically) on the TV series vs. the sketches.

by Anonymousreply 218September 19, 2021 6:01 PM

I've heard that Carroll O'Connor and Martin Balsam were not exactly the best of friends during their "Archie Bunker's Place" time, though they did have good chemistry which helped make the show successful.

by Anonymousreply 219September 19, 2021 6:02 PM

Is it possible Vicki was the person who cracked up least among the regular cast on "The Carol Burnett Show" -- well, beside Tim Conway, who tried on purpose to especially get Harvey and Carol to do so.

by Anonymousreply 220September 19, 2021 6:05 PM

Besides the Mama and Funk and Mundane skits on the CB Show, the only watchable ones are really any time Tim is able to make Harvey crack up.

by Anonymousreply 221September 19, 2021 6:09 PM

I don't think Carol herself cracked up that much -- there are only about 3 moments I can recall off the top of my head but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 222September 19, 2021 6:16 PM

Joe Gannascoli who played "Vito Spatafore on HBO's "The Sopranos". The rest of the tight-knit cast hated him. Word is, he was leaking plot points during the final season, publicly inflated his "friendship" with Gandolfini after his death, and has grifted his association with the show, ever since.

If you take the "Sopranos Tour" in NY/NJ, you can expect Vito waiting for you at the end, selling autographs and photo ops for $75 a pop, and unlicensed merch out of the trunk of his beater Toyota Yaris.

by Anonymousreply 223September 19, 2021 6:16 PM

Joe Gannascoli who played "Vito Spatafore on HBO's "The Sopranos". The rest of the tight-knit cast hated him. Word is, he was leaking plot points during the final season, publicly inflated his "friendship" with Gandolfini after his death, and has grifted his association with the show, ever since.

If you take the "Sopranos Tour" in NY/NJ, you can expect Vito waiting for you at the end, selling autographs and photo ops for $75 a pop, and unlicensed merch out of the trunk of his beater Toyota Yaris.

by Anonymousreply 224September 19, 2021 6:17 PM

The only two times I recall Carol losing were the infamous Mama sketch where Tim Conway ad libs the elephant story, and another Mama sketch where Vicki goes off script and starts ad libbing about Eunice having her period.

by Anonymousreply 225September 19, 2021 6:21 PM

R224, wow, really? I've been watching / listening to "Talking Sopranos" with Michael Imperioli (Christopher) and Steve Schirripa (Bacala). They do talk about Joe Gannascoli (Vito) quite a bit, with nothing derogatory insinuated or said.

The Vito character survived until almost the very end of the entire show. It was Joe Gannascoli's idea to have Vito be gay.

However, I did notice that, on Talking Sopranos, they have never had JG as a guest. Meanwhile, they've had all kinds of other young actresses you barely remember. I think it's a conscious decision to feature young, attractive actresses, even though their characters were hardly memorable.

by Anonymousreply 226September 19, 2021 6:32 PM

R226. Actors badmouthing other actors is not a good look. If they weren’t fond of him they may have kept those feelings to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 227September 19, 2021 6:36 PM

Steve Schirripa (Bacala) has been pretty unfiltered on Talking Sopranos, but I guess they do hold back. They talked about leaks (scripts / plot) and said that they suspected someone but wouldn't say who they suspected.

by Anonymousreply 228September 19, 2021 6:39 PM

R225, There were others, including this Mother Marcus appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229September 19, 2021 6:39 PM

Was the Burnett/Hamilton divorce all that bitter?

by Anonymousreply 230September 19, 2021 6:42 PM

The Good Place:

Kristen Bell and Jameela Jamel

D’arcy Carden and Jameela Jamel

by Anonymousreply 231September 19, 2021 6:46 PM

Lucy Hale was not part of the close friendship the other three lead actresses had on Pretty Little Liars. She would complain that they would laugh on-set and would take too long. She became the Teri Hatcher of the show.

by Anonymousreply 232September 19, 2021 6:49 PM

R231 / R232 details :)

by Anonymousreply 233September 19, 2021 6:53 PM

R226: I think Imperioli and Schrippra are taking the high road. Given Joe's post Sopranos history, he would jump at the chance to guest on "Talking Sopranos". Not gonna happen, plus... On the 20th anniversary video (it's on YouTube) he's not there, and there's plenty of actors present who weren't even close to Gannascoli's amount of screen time.

Apparently, he guested on another Sopranos podcast, "Podabing", and explains his side of things, but I haven't watched it. Also, Joe was not at "Sopranoscon" which went so far as to include Dr. Melfi's rapist, and the coffee shop manager who Parisi tried to shake down, in season 6. Do the math. He's a pariah.

by Anonymousreply 234September 19, 2021 7:07 PM

Any issues on the set of Dark Shadows?

by Anonymousreply 235September 19, 2021 7:10 PM

Everyone on Dark Shadows seemed to get along really well, with a few exceptions. Mitch Ryan showed up on set drunk a lot, and I'm sure that didn't endear him to anyone. I think that's what got him fired. Diana Millay pretty much said that she hated working with Louis Edmonds because he never knew his mark and often went up on his lines. And Roger Davis was not well liked. Joan Bennett did not speak well of him in her autobiography, and rumor was that Kathryn Leigh Scott quit after she found out that she was going to be paired romantically with Davis. Evidently he was somewhat of a misogynist with a massive ego.

by Anonymousreply 236September 19, 2021 7:15 PM

R235 Dark Shadows had a tight cast. They all loved each other, except Roger Davis. He was a fetid cunt. Watch his interviews on the Dark Shadows DVDs. It's pretty clear what a dick he was, and why the rest of the cast despised him.

by Anonymousreply 237September 19, 2021 7:20 PM

Funny how The Carol Burnett Show has kind of disappeared into the mists of time. It's not well-known to most people under 50. And it was a huge hit show that was on for a full decade.

by Anonymousreply 238September 19, 2021 7:34 PM

What did Vicki say about Harvey Korman?

by Anonymousreply 239September 19, 2021 7:36 PM

The syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends was very popular through the '80s, but frankly, much of the sketches are unwatchable. That type of comedy doesn't hold up well.

by Anonymousreply 240September 19, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] Shannen Doherty and Rose McGowan are both ginormous cunts, so is it really Alyssa who was difficult?

Shannen is a cunt, Alyssa is an attention whore, and Rose has her demons. Of the three, I prefer Rose.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote] The syndicated Carol Burnett & Friends was very popular through the '80s, but frankly, much of the sketches are unwatchable. That type of comedy doesn't hold up well.

I have this to be disappointingly true. Loved this Carol Burnett Show as a gayling, but watching skits on youtube now makes me wonder what the hell was so funny back then.

by Anonymousreply 242September 19, 2021 7:39 PM

Wow, Joe Gannascoli (Vito, Sopranos) seems like an asshole here in this interview. Looks like he got an eye lift right b/f the interview (says he got his eyes worked on). Also says that he has a business that sounds like catering. He shows up at people's houses and cooks dinner for a group. I guess he kind of hosts the dinner in character (as Vito).

Never knew he was unpleasant in real life. Johnny Cakes (John Costelloe) was too good for Vito.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 19, 2021 7:43 PM

The Mama's family and the Norma Desmond sketches, As the Stomach Turns, and the film parodies hold up really well. They're still hysterically funny IMO. It's the one-off sketches that are cringe.

by Anonymousreply 244September 19, 2021 7:44 PM

IMO, Tim Conway wasn't even funny. The "breaking up" and "breaking character" b/c Conway was so funny didn't make sense to me. Harvey Korman was funny, though.

by Anonymousreply 245September 19, 2021 7:47 PM

R244 "that are cringe"

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 246September 19, 2021 8:11 PM

The Mrs. A-Wiggins sketches were stupid back then. Don't know who kept requesting them to be done over and over.

by Anonymousreply 247September 19, 2021 8:18 PM

R247 Agreed

by Anonymousreply 248September 19, 2021 8:21 PM

The recurring "Carol and sis" sketches were kind of cute. Not LOL funny, but they were amusing.

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2021 8:23 PM

I loved when they did the commercial parodies.

by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2021 8:24 PM

I loved it whenever they showed Lyle Waggoner shirtless. As a gayling, he triggered stirrings in me that would take me a few years to figure out what they meant.

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2021 8:25 PM

I seem to recall that no one liked Walter Brennan on "The Real McCoys," because he was a horrible arch-conservative and a genuinely nasty piece of work.

I am so old.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2021 8:45 PM

Eva Gabor and Arnold the Pig, who had a better dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2021 8:47 PM

R240 I was born in the 70s so too young to watch any crap like the Carol Burnett Show. I've always loathed everything about the 70s. Watching a bunch of fucking 80 year olds laughing while at work is not funny, it's revolting. I wanna slice their heads clean off when they "break".

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2021 9:02 PM

When Vivian Vance learned of Frawley’s passing, she was reported to have shouted, “Champagne for everyone!”

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2021 9:19 PM

What did the other regular cast members of THE LOVE BOAT make of Lauren "Julie McCoy" Tewes' descent into cocaine-fueled hell? She was fired in 1984. TLB ran for 10 (!) seasons total.

[quote]Following her dismissal from The Love Boat (1977) in 1984, she spiraled into drug addiction. She has been sober for many years and makes her living doing voice-overs and radio commercials. She says she used to spend 16 hours a day caring for her sick husband.

[quote]Even though she has been clean and sober for almost 35 years, she still feels stigmatized by her former "Love Boat" cast-mates. (Oftentimes, one's behavior under the influence can be so hurtful that it causes irreparable damage to former relationships, and the latter have no choice but to permanently move on.).

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2021 9:23 PM

R254 this post is pure negativity

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2021 9:27 PM

[quote]Bob Denver never missed an opportunity to badmouth Tina Louise when he was in a documentary or a guest on a talk show. I think the only time he didn’t badmouth her was when there was a reunion on some 1980s talk show and she showed up. He didn’t have the nerve to badmouth her to her face, he did it when she wasn’t around.

According to a book I read years ago on the show, Denver would regularly get in Louise's face whenever she'd hold up production (usually by refusing to leave her dressing room) and they'd have screaming matches that ended with Louise getting her ass on set. He had no patience for her bullshit and made that clear to her, so, if true, I think it's safe to say Denver had plenty of nerve where it came to confronting Louise.

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2021 9:39 PM

I've heard some Vance quotes about Frawley after he died that were rather kind. I don't recall direct quotes, but something to the effect that he was a sweet curmudgeon who was making people in heaven smile.

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2021 9:46 PM

Tina Louise seems like she was just plain difficult.

Brady Bunch kids seem like a very cohesive group, despite Cindy (Susan Olson) ... Robert Reed (Mr. Brady) was known to be difficult (and drinking on the job), though. That's no secret.

by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2021 9:46 PM

But Reed supposedly got along fine with all the cast, correct? It was just the show he hated.

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2021 9:48 PM

If I were Robert Reed, I would've been slobbering over Barry Williams in seasons 4 and 5, when he was really beautiful. He peaked early in his masculine beauty, but he was delicious in his prime.

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2021 9:49 PM

Not sure what Vicki wrote negatively about Harvey, but Carol also threw him some shade in one of her numerous memoirs.

She called him out for being rude to guest Petula Clark and even "fired" him, for about a day.

by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

How could anyone be mean to Petula??

by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2021 10:03 PM

R245 I agree. I found Conway insufferable and I cannot watch any sketch that he is in. Total ham.

by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2021 10:15 PM

According to Carol, Harvey was very moody, and you never knew when he would show up to work pissed off. One day, he did it during rehearsal's and was rude to Petula Clark and Tim Conway. Carol was not happy, and called Korman's agent and said since he was so unhappy, he could leave. She then called Harvey in and told him he was out, and that even though he had a contract, she could get him out of it, because he was creating a hostile work environment (She said his temper had caused her to lose focus during work) Harvey begged to stay but Carol said he had to never show up to work again with an attitude, otherwise he was gone.

Vicki wrote about calling Harvey to do her talk show and Harvey exploded at her, and told her to leave him alone.

by Anonymousreply 266September 19, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote] Apologies to OP for straying off-topic but I have two Tina Louise stories to add on to R260

1. I worked at an off-Broadway theatre in NYC and we had a modest hit on our hands. Tina Louise showed up and when the doors opened she literally pushed people aside to get in early. When people balked, she snapped back, "Oh shut up, it's not like you're not going to get in."

2. Second hand story: a friend of mine was contracted out to lay carpeting in her west village apartment. I forget the details, but the upshot was that she was astonishingly rude, entitled and plain old cunty.

Sure Tina... it was type-casting from Gilligan's Island that derailed your career...

by Anonymousreply 267September 19, 2021 10:24 PM

[quote] Joe Gannascoli who played "Vito Spatafore on HBO's "The Sopranos". ……has grifted his association with the show, ever since.

Well what do you expect him to do? Everyone is grifting their association with the show … sopranocons, podcasts, appearances, etc. It’s not like he’s going to get work anywhere else. I heard him claim it was his idea to make Vito gay, but I also read an interview with him years ago where he said he was really shocked when they told him Vito was going to be gay. He didn’t want to do it…but they explained to him that Sammy the Bull Gravano was gay & closeted and there were a few other closeted gay mobsters who’d been killed for being gay and besides, his character was going to have a lot more lines and screen time. So he sad he felt bad for being homophobic.

But really, after that character, what else could he play? Everyone’s gonna say “Vito the gay Sopranos guy” as soon as they see him in a role. Law and Order isn’t around anymore for him to play a minor character on the show. (SVU doesn’t count. It’s not the mothership).

So they think he leaked the scripts? I remember getting pretty much the entire plots for each show online in the last season. That’s a shitty thing to do to your fellow cast & crew.

by Anonymousreply 268September 19, 2021 10:33 PM

R268, why are you defending complete and total shitheads? Joe's disgusting behavior is well-documented, and like the topic mentions, his "on-screen" pals hate him, and he's been excommunicated as far as legit post-mortem Sopranos events and goings-on. Unclutch your pearls, Tillie!

by Anonymousreply 269September 19, 2021 10:59 PM

[quote] But Reed supposedly got along fine with all the cast, correct? It was just the show he hated.

Yes, I think he got along well with the cast. It was Sherwood Schwartz (creator of Brady Bunch, also created Gilligan's Island) who had a hard time with Robert Reed. Florence Henderson (Carol Brady) got along with Reed as well, I think, and her gaydar clocked him right away.

by Anonymousreply 270September 19, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] why are you defending complete and total shitheads

Where’s a defense?

by Anonymousreply 271September 19, 2021 11:09 PM

I love threads like this. They are among my favorite. But you have to know when to separate myth from fact. A lot of this stuff has been "colored" over the years sometimes these feuds are made larger than life.

For instance, I highly doubt that Vivian Vance poured champagne at the news of Frawley's death.

Robert Reed's issues were with the cheesiness of the show and he wanted to do some kind of deep dive, which would have ruined the show. Quite frankly, I too, would like to know why these kids called their stepparents mom and dad from episode 2, but alas, it was never addressed.

Bea vs. Betty. I am sure you all know someone at work who everyone loves, but you, secretly, can't stand them because they are just a little too good to be true and you're just waiting for them to fuck up.

The whole W&G, Megan Mullally thing, I think the stories you believe about that all come down to who you like and who you don't like. If you don't Debra Messing, it's all her fault. If you don't like Megan, it's all her fault. The truth lies in the middle.

The one thing about SMG which is rarely up for debate is how professional she is. You may hear stories, again based on whether the storyteller likes her or not, but the one thing you can count on about the Buffy set was the SMG was professional and a little distant from the rest of the cast. She hated the idea of the show moving to UPN.

by Anonymousreply 272September 19, 2021 11:10 PM

Ha! I outlived all those eye rolling castaways!

by Anonymousreply 273September 19, 2021 11:12 PM

[quote] But you have to know when to separate myth from fact.

Sherwood Schwartz helped create a lot of the myths surrounding his shows. He claims Gilligan’s Island was a big hit despite the critics and network not liking it. Not really. By the 3rd season everyone had pretty much had enough of the concept of oh no, Gilligan just did something stupid after Skipper & the professor gave him some kind of responsibility once again, despite historical precedence. I don’t believe there were retired military people sending telegrams to Washington, giving coordinates in the South Pacific for where to find shipwrecked Americans, as Schwartz claimed.

The show became popular in reruns as Gen X and millennial kids watched it every day from toddlerhood through high school. They elevated it to iconic status. It wasn’t all that popular when it aired.

Same thing with The Brady Bunch. It was just another dumb, unrealistic weekly nighttime sitcom. But it really appealed to 4 and 5 year old kids who watched it after they got home from kindergarten. Those kids watched it every single day of their lives. That show became iconic too, just like Little Rascals, Warner Brothers cartoons, Abbott and Costello and 1930s horror movies were iconic to Boomers. It became iconic because of repetitive familiarity, predictability and a feeling of cozy safety. It wasn’t groundbreaking television documenting the sweeping change in America due to the new phenomena of multiple marriages, as Schwartz claimed,

by Anonymousreply 274September 19, 2021 11:36 PM

I preferred the Partridge Family to the Brady Bunch myself. Partridge Family seemed a little more current.

Brady Bunch was basically a 50's sitcom set in the early 70's.

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2021 11:40 PM

I read somewhere that Tina Louise had been led to believe the show was going to be written all around her, and she signed on; she later understood (perhaps after she signed on) that Bob Denver was going to be the real star of the show, and she was a supporting character. She had won a theater award and had also had a hit in the movies in "God's Little Acre", and she saw herself and her career rising. Unfortunately there were stories that she became not the happiest camper during production, and she mostly didn't acknowledge it very much after the show went off the air.

Robert Reed had been a serious actor and had co-starred with very serious actor E.G. Marshall on the "Defenders" tv show. Apparently while Reed got the "Brady Bunch" role and knew it was a sitcom, he tried to make it more serious, have some kind of didactic lesson in episodes, and tried to treat his lovable Dad character to the kind of scene-study Stanislavsky analysis that he might do if he were preparing for doing a role in Chekhov. I think he was well-liked by the actors, but he was a nudge as far as the producers and writers. They were looking to turn out family friendly fluff and he was trying to make it a big grander and significant. It turns out "Brady Bunch" had enough stuff for tv historians and sociologists to study for years ever since! Reed was very hot -- he should have asked for more scenes without his shirt like in Hawaii!

by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2021 11:49 PM

I heard Tina Louisa would have loud sex in her dressing room and this would also piss people off.

by Anonymousreply 277September 20, 2021 12:14 AM

With herself?

by Anonymousreply 278September 20, 2021 12:44 AM

R276 - And as Sherwood would off counter, "But Tina, the show wasn't called Ginger's Island". Tina likes to think that her brilliant career was stolen from her. It wasn't. If anything, Gilligan's Island made her relatively immortal. Otherwise she would have wound up with a stalled career in the late 60s/early 70s when no one was interested in Marilyn Monroe types anymore.

See the pic below to see what she was selling herself as in the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2021 12:45 AM

She looks cross-eyed in that photo, R279. Nice cans, though.

by Anonymousreply 280September 20, 2021 1:10 AM

R274 Four and Five year olds watched The Brady Bunch every day and for the rest of their lives? What kind of deluded fucking reality are you in? Aids brain perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 281September 20, 2021 1:13 AM

Tina is 87 years old now. She better start making peace with the Lord...

by Anonymousreply 282September 20, 2021 1:14 AM

Reed actually refused to appear in the season 5 episode where Bobby's hair tonic turned Greg's hair orange just before his HS graduation. He thought that went beyond the pale of silliness. He also would not appear in the episode where Alice, feeling unneeded, leaves the household and gets a job as a waitress in a diner. He claimed the script was so illogical, made zero sense, and refused to have anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 283September 20, 2021 1:17 AM

I think Reed also did not appear in the show's final episode.

by Anonymousreply 284September 20, 2021 1:54 AM

The hair tonic WAS the final episode.

by Anonymousreply 285September 20, 2021 2:02 AM

Oh, sorry, R285. I'll be the first to admit I know very little about BB.

by Anonymousreply 286September 20, 2021 2:17 AM

When I was a kid in the 80s The Brady Bunch looked like such an OLD show to me, even though at that time it was only a decade in the past. Those early 70s fashions looked archaic even then.

by Anonymousreply 287September 20, 2021 2:23 AM

Kate didn't care for someone younger, hotter, and smarter.

by Anonymousreply 288September 20, 2021 2:25 AM

r287 and by 1993, all the 80s fashions looked archaic.

by Anonymousreply 289September 20, 2021 8:13 AM

I find it interesting that Shelley Morrison, who played Karen's maid, Rosario Salazar, is rarely mentioned when discussing Will and Grace. She was a big part of the original show, but seems to be completely overlooked.

I recall hearing about bad blood between her and the rest of the cast, but never any details. When she died in 2019, they all tweeted nice things about her, but I don't think she had any contact with the cast after the series ended its original run.

Anyone here have details?

by Anonymousreply 290September 20, 2021 8:17 AM

Wasn't she arrested for shoplifting or something, R290?

by Anonymousreply 291September 20, 2021 10:57 AM

I think that the story of Vivian Vance being forced to be overweight via her contract have been discounted.

by Anonymousreply 292September 20, 2021 11:33 AM

R292 You're right. I think I remember an interview in which Lucy and Vivian both mention Vivian's weight. Lucy says something like "She was always worried about her weight. She even went to a fat farm." That's a foggy memory so I could be combining different interviews.

by Anonymousreply 293September 20, 2021 11:36 AM

R293 - I'm sure Vivian loved having that story told on national TV

by Anonymousreply 294September 20, 2021 12:22 PM

R51

That's the first I hear of Gilmore Girls being an unpleasant set....or of Alexis being unpleasant.

They all did the reunion willingly.

by Anonymousreply 295September 20, 2021 1:03 PM

Graham and Scott Patterson hated each other on Gilmore Gilmore. I mean hated with the fire of 6 red hot suns. It was nasty.

by Anonymousreply 296September 20, 2021 1:05 PM

Lauren doesn't seem to struggle finding roles. I wonder what she was like on Parenthood. Is she still dating Peter?

by Anonymousreply 297September 20, 2021 1:25 PM

Wasn’t the Designing Women set (with the original four) a nightmare? I thought they all ganged up on Delta Burke or something.

by Anonymousreply 298September 20, 2021 1:28 PM

Designing Women was a friendly set until Delta hooked up with Gerald McacRaney and started putting on a lot of weight. Then yes, she began fighting with Linda Bloodworth and Harry Thomasin and if not fighting with her fellow cast, there was a lot of tension on the set until she finally left/was fired.

by Anonymousreply 299September 20, 2021 2:07 PM

The tension between Cindy Williams and Penny Marshall was also heightened because Cindy had an already established movie career. She was known to audiences from American Graffiti (which Happy Days and later Laverne & Shirley cashed in on the nostalgia craze that this movie created). Also, she did great work in Travels With My Aunt. By the time L&S appeared on Happy Days, Penny was known as a third tier character on The Odd Couple.

by Anonymousreply 300September 20, 2021 2:21 PM

I actually think that when Delta gained the weight, she had more in common with the Southern women that I knew.

Think about her character. Suzanne had been very indulged and spoiled. She wasn’t the type to go to a gym and exercise. So once her pageant days were over, she would eat rich and fattening Southern food and gain weight. She would concentrate on flawless hair, makeup and clothes. I’ve worked with dozens of women like this. Fat Suzanne was my favorite character.

Too bad Linda didn’t understand Southern women and culture.

by Anonymousreply 301September 20, 2021 2:32 PM

I think Penny was paranoid too that she was only getting work because her brother was Garry Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 302September 20, 2021 2:36 PM

[quote]I find it interesting that Shelley Morrison, who played Karen's maid, Rosario Salazar, is rarely mentioned when discussing Will and Grace. She was a big part of the original show, but seems to be completely overlooked.

Didn't she spill the beans to the press about Megan getting married and Megan never forgave her?

by Anonymousreply 303September 20, 2021 2:40 PM

[quote] I think Penny was paranoid too that she was only getting work because her brother was Garry Marshall.

Plus, she was married to Rob Reiner, and divorced him during the run of the show. I’m sure that marriage put a lot of pressure on her.

by Anonymousreply 304September 20, 2021 2:47 PM

There is nothing funnier than when Takei goes after Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 305September 20, 2021 2:48 PM

R301 Delta could have used some more caftans as she got bigger, and I'm sure some DL denizens might let her borrow some as Suzanne. I did love her on that show though.

by Anonymousreply 306September 20, 2021 3:20 PM

I think the Delta vs The Thomasons conflict had really less to do with her weight and more about her demands/showing up for work. Linda worked with Delta to write the episode (They Shoot Fat Ladies Don’t They) that landed Delta an Emmy nod. Delta admitted later that she would have crippling panic attacks that made it difficult for her to emerge from her dressing room. I’m sure the Thomasons could have handled it better, though.

Dixie took the Thomasons’ side which caused a very public rift between the two actresses. I read that they eventually made up when Dixie reached out to Delta after her mother died. Apparently Delta was a complete wreck at Dixie’s funeral.

by Anonymousreply 307September 20, 2021 3:36 PM

[quote]Dixie took the Thomasons’ side which caused a very public rift between the two actresses.

That's just smart business. The Thomasons were giving Dixie a job, not Delta.

And it's no fun to work with someone who won't come out of her dressing room. And when she does, creates a lot of tension on the set.

by Anonymousreply 308September 20, 2021 3:53 PM

In interviews, Ed Asner was candid about how difficult Ted Knight could be. Ted would be livid whenever Ed won an Emmy, believing it should have gone to him instead. After a few years, Ted accused Ed of "buying" his Emmy wins.

by Anonymousreply 309September 20, 2021 4:18 PM

I think DL icon sided with Delta during this period but in a low-key way, i.e. she stayed out of the press, but it was reported that Smart and Meshach Taylor sided with her. I found it telling that Smart left at the same time Burke left.

by Anonymousreply 310September 20, 2021 4:46 PM

Did any of Julia Duffy's co-stars on DW like her? She often comes off as humorless and pseudo-intellectual in interviews, so I can imagine how unbearable she might've been on set.

by Anonymousreply 311September 20, 2021 4:56 PM

Ted Knight was almost too good as Ted Baxter and I think he worried it would affect his career options going forward.

by Anonymousreply 312September 20, 2021 5:03 PM

R310 - quite possibly Jean Smart secretly sided with Delta, but she appeared to stand in solidarity with the show by appearing at the Emmys with the new cast. It seems odd she would agree to do that if she felt any real displeasure at the Thomasons. Delta was in the audience as an Emmy nominee for the fat episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313September 20, 2021 5:05 PM

DW reunion in 2003. At one point Dixie waxes on about Annie Potts’ acting ability, comparing her favorably to Meryl. She should have been directing her comments at Jean!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 20, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote] Kate didn't care for someone younger, hotter, and smarter.

R288 - is this Kate Jackson you’re talking about with regards to Cheryl Ladd? Or maybe Susan Saint-James on the set of Kate and Allie?

Speaking of KJ it was rumored she did not get along with Bruce Boxleitner on the Scarecrow set either.

by Anonymousreply 315September 20, 2021 5:19 PM

Kate Jackson is certifiably nuts and has been for decades.

by Anonymousreply 316September 20, 2021 5:27 PM

Kate Jackson was difficult on the Dark Shadows set. She was tight with David Selby and Lara Parker, but I think that's about it, and I believe she was fucking Jim Storm.

by Anonymousreply 317September 20, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote]Ted Knight was almost too good as Ted Baxter and I think he worried it would affect his career options going forward.

I remember hearing the story that he reportedly got upset with Ed Asner for not getting him a guest-star spot on "Lou Grant" after the MTM show was over. He was told that because "LG" was a drama and not a comedy like MTM that the Ted character would not be a good fit for the show.

by Anonymousreply 318September 20, 2021 6:02 PM

That sounds like a missed opportunity. It would have been interesting to see Ted Baxter reimagined in a dramatic setting (which is essentially what James Brooks did with William Hurt in Broadcast News). I’m not sure if Ted Knight could resist camping it up though.

by Anonymousreply 319September 20, 2021 6:06 PM

I think the only MTM actor to appear on Lou Grant was Eileen Heckart as Flo Meredith. Linda Kelsey also guested on MTM, in season 5, but as a totally different character from her Lou Grant character.

by Anonymousreply 320September 20, 2021 6:17 PM

On "Talking Sopranos," Michael Imperioli said that portraying Christopher (on the Sopranos) made people think that he, the actor (and not just the character), was stupid / dumb. I heard that Ted Knight felt the same way about the Ted Baxter character. I think it would be frustrating to be thought of as dumb and typecast accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 321September 20, 2021 6:27 PM

I think he could have, R319. He had done serious roles but got typecast because the show was so popular.

by Anonymousreply 322September 20, 2021 6:34 PM

I agree, R319. I would have liked to see what they would've done with the character in that setting.

by Anonymousreply 323September 20, 2021 6:37 PM

I saw Delta on broadway in Steel Magnolia’s and, though the production stunk, she was a very good Truvy.

by Anonymousreply 324September 20, 2021 6:41 PM

Jack Cassidy was almost cast as Ted Baxter, but then something happened that took him out of the running for the role and I can't remember what it was.

by Anonymousreply 325September 20, 2021 6:43 PM

Bea Arthur didn't "hate" Betty White. Even White admitted they all got along 'for the first five years'.

It's more likely she got sick of her eternal cheerfulness...

by Anonymousreply 326September 20, 2021 6:46 PM

He's diplomatic here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327September 20, 2021 6:55 PM

I can't believe how old JWS looks. The ravages of time!

by Anonymousreply 328September 20, 2021 6:57 PM

Yeah, he's got old man lips. 10 years can make a huge difference...

by Anonymousreply 329September 20, 2021 7:04 PM

So true, R328. Time can be a bee-yotch.

by Anonymousreply 330September 20, 2021 7:05 PM

Considering his politics I like to think that closing the door on Jimmy Walker in this clip was intentional 🙂. Go Thelma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331September 20, 2021 7:05 PM

R331 LOL!

by Anonymousreply 332September 20, 2021 7:30 PM

Jack Cassidy turned down the role of Ted Baxter. Ted Knight was a really gifted actor, he made a lot of really smart, original choices as Ted Baxter that made the character very lovable in what could have been a one-note character, this is in addition to his wonderful timing, and delivery. I believe he insisted on Ted marrying Georgette to show another side of the character, as well.

by Anonymousreply 333September 20, 2021 7:44 PM

Jack Cassidy was cast as Ted's brother in a first season episode.

by Anonymousreply 334September 20, 2021 8:00 PM

Agree that Ted Knight was great as Ted Baxter. No way would Jack Cassidy ever have made Ted lovable!

by Anonymousreply 335September 20, 2021 9:11 PM

[quote] Jack Cassidy was almost cast as Ted Baxter, but then something happened that took him out of the running for the role and I can't remember what it was.

Jack wanted to do it, but Shirley talked him out of it.

by Anonymousreply 336September 20, 2021 9:12 PM

Jean Stapleton has talked about Carroll O’Connor and Rob Reiner getting into arguments while rehearsing All in the Family. She made it sound like it happened quite frequently.

by Anonymousreply 337September 20, 2021 9:15 PM

Was Ted Baxter lovable? I guess maybe if compared to Gavin McLeod’s pathetic Murray.

by Anonymousreply 338September 20, 2021 9:15 PM

Rob Reiner said that he and Carroll O'Connor used to frequently rewrite the dialogue together. It seems they had a mutually respectful and trusting working relationship. Their fights could've just surrounded efforts to tighten the scripts and make the show as good as possible.

by Anonymousreply 339September 20, 2021 9:22 PM

John Wesley Shipp is pushing 70. He looks good for his age

by Anonymousreply 340September 20, 2021 9:28 PM

Which one of his GL costars was JWS fucking? Marsha Clark or Kristin Vigard? I forgot.

by Anonymousreply 341September 20, 2021 9:30 PM

Can you imagine if they had cast Jack Cassidy? He and Gavin MacLeod could have been the original will they/won't they gay couple.

by Anonymousreply 342September 20, 2021 9:40 PM

"will they won't they" what, r342?

by Anonymousreply 343September 20, 2021 9:44 PM

Join a book club, Rose ^

by Anonymousreply 344September 20, 2021 9:46 PM

Arnold the Pig despised Eva Gabor. He went to his grave without ever revealing the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 345September 20, 2021 9:47 PM

r327 John Wesley Shipp looks terrific, better than I've ever seen him.

by Anonymousreply 346September 20, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote] They all did the reunion willingly.

Shockingly, they were all able to some how squeeze the reunion into their super-busy acting careers!

by Anonymousreply 347September 20, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote] Which one of his GL costars was JWS fucking? Marsha Clark or Kristin Vigard? I forgot.

With what? A strap on? He's gay, gay, GAY!

And no, R346, JWS is not looking better than ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348September 20, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote] She looks cross-eyed in that photo, [R279]. Nice cans, though.

They bring all the boys to the yard. Dollar bills at the ready.

by Anonymousreply 349September 21, 2021 11:32 AM

R340, he's pushing 67, not 70. R346, get your prescription checked.

by Anonymousreply 350September 21, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote]10 years can make a huge difference...

It is closer to 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 351September 21, 2021 4:57 PM

67 IS pushing 70.

by Anonymousreply 352September 21, 2021 6:01 PM

I joke with my sister, a fellow soap fan, that I was straight when I sat down to read Daytime TV, and was gay after I finished looking at JWS's famous speedo pics.

by Anonymousreply 353September 21, 2021 6:48 PM

[quote] 67 IS pushing 70.

Please. At 67 it's hard enough just to push out a fart let alone 3 years.

by Anonymousreply 354September 22, 2021 2:27 AM

Bunny Rabbit and Mr. Moose.

by Anonymousreply 355September 22, 2021 2:48 AM

Kukla and Ollie thought Fran was a royal cunt.

by Anonymousreply 356September 22, 2021 2:49 AM

R356 - And they were right

by Anonymousreply 357September 22, 2021 2:54 AM

Jan'et Dubois and Esther Rolle didn't get on? I didn't know that. I know Rolle, Amos, and Walker hated each other.

Marla Gibbs and Jackee

I read that Roxie Roker and that white dude weren't close.

Jerry and Larry David get the bulk of royalties from "Seinfeld." That can't sit well with the others.

by Anonymousreply 358September 22, 2021 1:02 PM

Marla and Jackee are fine now. But imagine poor Marla getting her own tv show and Jackee steals it right out from under her.

by Anonymousreply 359September 22, 2021 6:22 PM

R69 who in the fuck cared if those two nobodies liked each other or not?! Blah!

by Anonymousreply 360September 22, 2021 6:51 PM

R358 Esther Rolle didn’t like anybody.

by Anonymousreply 361September 22, 2021 6:51 PM

Any hot Nancy Dussault gossip?

by Anonymousreply 362September 22, 2021 6:54 PM

Never heard that about Esther and Ja'Net or Esther and John before. I always heard neither Esther nor John got along with Jimmy Walker, though.

by Anonymousreply 363September 22, 2021 7:54 PM

Esther Rolle and Jan'et Dubois eventually got along. Jan'et stated Esther was initially cold because she was told Good Times was her show however she had none of the power one associates with one in that position. For instance Jan'et said usually actors in Esther's position at minimum are consulted by the producers around casting, Esther was not given very little say in the show. She also did not have issues with John Amos,

by Anonymousreply 364September 22, 2021 7:55 PM

[quote] Marla and Jackee are fine now. But imagine poor Marla getting her own tv show and Jackee steals it right out from under her.

What goes around, comes around...

by Anonymousreply 365September 22, 2021 11:40 PM

Wilma and Betty.

by Anonymousreply 366September 23, 2021 12:47 AM

Rose Marie and Mary Tyler Moore were far from friends during the five years of "TDVDS".

by Anonymousreply 367September 23, 2021 12:49 AM

any onset friction on the Vampire Diaries?

by Anonymousreply 368September 23, 2021 6:31 AM

I've seen stories that Karl Malden didn't like Michael Douglas' replacement, Richard Hatch on The Streets of San Francisco. I think a lot of people who come late into a series have this problem. Hatch has less of the star power that Douglas radiated even on television, and was not as good an actor.

by Anonymousreply 369September 23, 2021 9:56 AM

Weren't there stories about Mary Louise Parker and Elizabeth Perkins not getting along on Weeds? Actually wasn't that whole set supposed to be rather toxic?

by Anonymousreply 370September 24, 2021 1:46 AM

I sort of understand Esther Rolle's issues. She thought she was going to be the star of a show that was going to make some kind of difference. Instead the stereotype because the breakout beloved character and she's stuck playing a supporting role.

Marla should have handled her situation better, since she was in Jackee's shoes when she became the scene stealer on The Jeffersons.

by Anonymousreply 371September 24, 2021 1:52 AM

Mr. Douglas & Mr. Haney. Ebb was hot.

by Anonymousreply 372September 24, 2021 2:25 AM

Nancy Culp & Buddy Edsen. Bitter.

by Anonymousreply 373September 24, 2021 2:27 AM

Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman

by Anonymousreply 374September 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Martin Freeman is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 375September 26, 2021 6:25 AM

He does seem to be R375 which is shocking because you would think it would be Cumberbatch.

by Anonymousreply 376September 26, 2021 9:03 AM

R232 out of that bunch, Lucy seems to be doing the best since PLL ended.

R368 well let's see...we have Julie Plague being a racist shithead to Kat's character. And apparently one of the actors was fucking her so he could stay on the show 🤢 Then there was the drama between Ian and Nina after he got with Nikki. And Chris Wood was a shit to Nina and took Ian's side after she'd fucked him.

by Anonymousreply 377September 28, 2021 7:45 AM

I imagine the voice actors loathe each other on The Simpsons after so many decades and despite not having to physically be in the same space. They just see the golden handcuffs they are to each other, come in do their shit and leave and forget about as much as they can for the majority of their days.

by Anonymousreply 378September 28, 2021 7:50 AM

[quote] Jerry and Larry David get the bulk of royalties from "Seinfeld." That can't sit well with the others.

Yes, I'm sure after Julia Louis-Dreyfus spends her billion dollar inheritance she'll be setting up a GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 379September 29, 2021 1:03 AM

Cumberbatch and Freeman are both assholes but Freeman is worse.

by Anonymousreply 380September 29, 2021 6:05 AM

Louis-Dreyfus isn't getting a billion, she was basically a Dreyfus poor relation. She also probably got a fortune from Veep and at least spending money from "Old Christine".

by Anonymousreply 381September 29, 2021 12:01 PM

R379 HILARIOUS. You do know there are two other cast members who probably could use the money, right?

by Anonymousreply 382September 29, 2021 12:14 PM

R381 she may not get a billion but I doubt she was the poor relation. Her birth father died a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 383September 29, 2021 1:00 PM

JLD's father wasn't one of 'those Dreyfuses', however he was still a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 384September 29, 2021 1:50 PM

The royalty pool for SEINFELD must be enormous. Not as big as FRIENDS, but bigger than most other (if not every other) 90s sitcoms.

I doubt Jason Alexander or Michael Richards are struggling even a little. Check out Julia's cut, per online sources.

Per Julia: [quote[Julia Louis-Dreyfus is worth $250 million. Though she is probably best known for playing Elaine Benes on “Seinfeld” — in which she made about $45 million in total — she has continued acting in shows like “The New Adventures of Old Christine” and “Veep.”

by Anonymousreply 385September 29, 2021 2:30 PM

Scrappy-Doo and the whole cast of Scooby-doo.

by Anonymousreply 386September 29, 2021 3:19 PM

I heard Scrappy was mowed down in a drug deal gone bad, in a favela in Rio back in about 1968...

by Anonymousreply 387September 29, 2021 8:13 PM

Patty and Cathy Lane. Patty Duke hated working with Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 388September 30, 2021 12:43 AM

I think there v great darkness with whomever Kelly Ripa is paired with.

by Anonymousreply 389September 30, 2021 1:16 AM

Didn’t Alexander, Richards and JLD band together at one point to demand a bigger cut of royalties from DVD sales and future syndication deals? I have a memory of Jason Alexander talking about how Jerry and Larry were making all the money and he wasn’t interested in participating in anything Seinfeld if they didn’t all get a bigger cut of the pie.

by Anonymousreply 390September 30, 2021 1:52 AM

In fairness to Jerry and Larry, they did create the show, so were entitled to much more money. Nobody who Jason Alexander was before.

But it is clear from their work AFTER Seinfeld that it was Larry, not Jerry, who was the inspiration for the show.

So bad actor, observational comic Jerry Seinfeld go REALLY rich off of someone else's talent.

by Anonymousreply 391September 30, 2021 1:56 AM

It's true Martin Freeman is an asshole, but Cumberbatch isn't.

by Anonymousreply 392September 30, 2021 2:13 AM

It's kind of amazing how bad a lot of Jerry Seinfeld's line readings are. Larry David is a very funny comedic actor, as is Ray Romano, who gave some really wonderful line readings on "Everybody Loves Raymond".

by Anonymousreply 393September 30, 2021 3:48 AM

Jerry Seinfeld always was and remains a shockingly bad actor. Sitcoms may not be Shakespeare, but even a minimum of effort is appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 394September 30, 2021 4:00 AM

Jerry was a bad actor, but at least he acknowledge it.

by Anonymousreply 395September 30, 2021 4:12 AM

R393 yeah I’ve said this before but Ray Romano learned to act quite well on his show as the seasons progressed. He well deserved his Emmy. Seinfeld was never anything close to a comedic actor.

by Anonymousreply 396September 30, 2021 4:15 AM

R396, Candice Bergen is a terrible actress, yet she won Emmy after Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 397September 30, 2021 6:20 AM

R397 I realize that. So did Helen Hunt. Some are deserved some aren’t. Just like Oscars - and elections.

by Anonymousreply 398September 30, 2021 6:32 AM

R389 are you saying Kelly is a witch? Maybe a succubus?

by Anonymousreply 399September 30, 2021 6:45 AM

Seinfeld's comic timing and avuncular personality were the center of the show. Sitcoms rarely survive w/o someone like that.

by Anonymousreply 400September 30, 2021 11:39 AM

Count me in the minority but I thought Jerry's line readings were quite funny. No, he wasn't a trained actor and it showed but what he did worked for the Jerry character and many of his deliveries hit the mark in my opinion. (I know a lot of people also thought Roseanne was a terrible actor, at least in her show's early years.)

I do agree that the luckiest break Jerry ever got was the day he met Larry David, who was the real genius behind that show from day one.

by Anonymousreply 401October 1, 2021 12:50 AM

Not true R317. According to Kate Jackson some of the other ladies were jealous of her because she got the plum role. Yes, she was tight with David Selby, Jim Storm, Lara Parker. And Jonathan Frid when asked what working with Kate was like, said: "I liked her very much. She was very easy to work with. She never made a mistake ever. She was the most perfect person. She was accomodating and always ready to go and not showing off about it. I liked her."

by Anonymousreply 402October 4, 2021 8:24 AM

R367, that's true, but only because Rose Marie actually thought she was supposed to be the female lead of the show.

by Anonymousreply 403October 4, 2021 7:26 PM

Rose Marie was too off-putting to even play Ethel Mertz,

by Anonymousreply 404October 4, 2021 10:30 PM

[quote]Esther Rolle and Ja'Net Dubois.

Esther liked her when she was Janet, but she she went all apostrophe the fights started.

by Anonymousreply 405May 9, 2022 12:37 PM

[quote]Julia Louis-Dreyfus is worth $250 million

Her family is rich. She would be worth like 225 million if she just sat on her ass and never did nothing.

by Anonymousreply 406May 9, 2022 12:39 PM

Enjoying this thread immensely. Any others (from the 1980s or later)?

by Anonymousreply 407May 16, 2022 11:06 PM

What's the story with Susan St. James and Jane Curtin? They came from such divergent backgrounds, that they had to have clashed. I have a feeling they had a very prickly relationship. It sort of showed, which probably made K&A a little more interesting than it might've been.

by Anonymousreply 408May 17, 2022 12:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!