Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Maddeningly Annoying Social Media Comments

Things that make me scream, if only inside my head:

—When someone writes something, and then follows it with "That's it. That's the post." (Do people feel witty when they write that? Why not just make the point without tacking on a lame Zoomer tagline?)

—When someone responds with ^^THIS! (You agree with a comment. Can you say you agree with it? Better yet, can you add a thought that advances the sentiment? Why "THIS!"?)

—This one transcends social media, but: "I don't disagree." (No one can agree anymore. The closest anyone can come is not to disagree.)

This is Orwellian. It's Newspeak. It represents Orwell's idea of dumbing down the public by limiting vocabulary and thereby limiting the ranges of people's thoughts and feelings. People don't engage in discussions anymore; they argue for the sake of winning and not learning, or else they say "THIS!" And yes, I realize no one cares. People today are happy to become dumber and more limited in every way. I'm aware. I still hate it.

Your turn. What social media tropes bother you?

by Anonymousreply 483May 8, 2022 7:52 PM

The only 'social media' I engage with at all is the DL.

The rest of it is dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2021 11:00 AM

^^THIS!

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2021 11:02 AM

First!

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2021 11:03 AM

Headlines 👏 with 👏 claps 👏 in 👏 them

The fuck does that even mean?

Equally annoying is:

A. Headline. That. Looks. Like. This.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2021 11:09 AM

[quote]First!

This isn't 2008.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2021 11:09 AM

None of what you described is even remotely Orwellian. Slang and language shorthand is not Orwellian.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2021 11:27 AM

Right in the feels.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2021 11:35 AM

OP, I hate something more than "This!".

It's when otherwise articulate people write stuff like "This! So much this!".

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote]—When someone writes something, and then follows it with "That's it. That's the post." (Do people feel witty when they write that? Why not just make the point without tacking on a lame Zoomer tagline?) —When someone responds with ^^THIS! (You agree with a comment. Can you say you agree with it? Better yet, can you add a thought that advances the sentiment? Why "THIS!"?) —This one transcends social media, but: "I don't disagree." (No one can agree anymore. The closest anyone can come is not to disagree.)

I am active on social media and I've never seen these things before. " i don't disagree" feels passive-aggressive but could be necessary in tense situations

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2021 11:49 AM

R6 It actually is Orwellian. People think of Orwellian meaning only authoritarian, but a great deal of what he wrote in Nineteen Eighty-Four was about how the public's minds, engagement and intellectual curiosity and performance can be limited by policing and limiting language. Good and bad were made into good and ungood, etc., and then war and peace were made out to be synonymous, with war taking on a good connotation and, at worst, being only 'ungood' instead of bad.

"This!" isn't exactly that, but it is a version of it, being an empty expression that makes people feel they have thought and contributed something worth saying, but without actually thinking anything and without saying anything meaningful.

It doesn't represent the strategy of Newspeak but it does represent the outcome of it.

R9 "I don't disagree" can have a specific limited useful application when someone means "You've made a good point and while I don't wholly agree with you, I acknowledge that there's some merit to your argument," but instead it has come into common use to replace "I agree." Pay attention to everyday conversation. You will almost never hear someone say "I agree" anymore. They say "I don't disagree" instead. It may seem like an arbitrary change in language, hit language represents and affects ideation, and "I don't disagree" is inherently resistant and unharmonious. It represents and perpetuates our current cultural state of always dissenting, always being disagreeable, never finding a point of common understanding with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2021 12:11 PM

The only social media I use is the DL, but one thing I see here a lot is when people write ‘thread closed’ after giving their opinion on something.

For example, if the question was, “Who was the best James Bond?” and someone answers, “Connery, thread closed.”

That irritates the shit out of me. That’s your opinion, and it’s fine, but it’s no way the final or only answerand doesn’t close the thread.

I also hate “This. So much this!”

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2021 12:12 PM

"Don't @ me about it!"

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2021 12:16 PM

"Ratio" is fucking annoying too.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2021 1:12 PM

"So... this just happened..." accompanying some "shocking" pic on Instagram.

"He's not wrong" constantly on DL commenting about some inane thing Trump has said or done.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2021 1:15 PM

"Because social media"

This is goals

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2021 1:15 PM

"So cringe" "Cringey" etc.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2021 1:19 PM

“I speak truth to power”

Well, aren’t you just a special nugget.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote] It represents Orwell's idea of dumbing down the public by limiting vocabulary and thereby limiting the ranges of people's thoughts and feelings.

No they don't. Each of those conveys a particular nuance. They might be annoying, language changes. Your own inability to read tone is the problem here. Orwell is spinning in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2021 1:22 PM

Pet peeve:

Amazon has a section for asking questions about a product one is considered purchasing. These are generally addressed to the wider world, yet many responses of "not sure" or "I don't know." Unless you DO know, why post anything?

by Anonymousreply 19September 18, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote] They might be annoying, language changes.

*but language changes.

by Anonymousreply 20September 18, 2021 1:23 PM

"I'm watching (movie/show/whatever) and it's hard to follow. I can't get into it. Don't get the hype." That, followed by updates about everything that is happening.

Gee, maybe if you put down your fucking phone and actually engaged with something, you'd get it.

by Anonymousreply 21September 18, 2021 1:24 PM

[quote] None of what you described is even remotely Orwellian. Slang and language shorthand is not Orwellian.

It sure isn't, but Aunt OP is flapping her 1983 caftan and needs something to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 22September 18, 2021 1:25 PM

I don't mind THIS as a response, which I've also seen as a thumbs-up icon, or +1.

by Anonymousreply 23September 18, 2021 1:27 PM

"It is not my job to educate you."

by Anonymousreply 24September 18, 2021 1:33 PM

💯

by Anonymousreply 25September 18, 2021 1:33 PM

Co-sign!

by Anonymousreply 26September 18, 2021 1:36 PM

"Do the research!"

by Anonymousreply 27September 18, 2021 1:37 PM

"Oh, No!!"

by Anonymousreply 28September 18, 2021 1:39 PM

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 18, 2021 1:39 PM

Literal. Violence.

by Anonymousreply 30September 18, 2021 1:40 PM

yaas daddy!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2021 1:41 PM

This is a Facebook-only type post but I hate when people post, “Something terrible happened, please pray for me.” Then people respond with “what happened,” and the OP says,, “I’ll PM you.” Bitch, we want to know!

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2021 1:42 PM

I am aware of Orwell's work, r9. I'm still telling you that this kind of shorthand, memetic online speaking is not even remotely the same as "double plus ungood" or any of the other examples you gave.

"I don't disagree" has been part of our language for years, far before online slang and shorthand came to be. If you wanted to make a case for it being weasely or passive-aggressive, fine, but it's not Orwellian. It doesn't have the same purpose or meaning as "ungood" or "war is peace."

Any variant of "^^ THIS" or "me too" or "co-sign" or "I'm stealing your meme" is shorthand for "I agree" and is also not Orwellian.

You're exaggerating what's going on with online speak, either because you're trolling, or because you know (unconsciously, most likely) that you're overreacting, and you have to use hyperbole to get people to have the same emotional reaction to these things as you do.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote]The fuck does that even mean?

I hate the trend of leaving the "what" out of "what the fuck".

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2021 2:03 PM

The "I bet I won't get one like" or "I bet you won't pass this on" passive aggressive line after a sad post with a 14 month intubated baby pic.

by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2021 2:04 PM

I’ll just leave this here

by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2021 2:32 PM

I actually like that one, R34. I like shorthand and brevity. Hate rambling. Get to the point.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2021 2:34 PM

People who review a recipe when they haven't even made the dish yet. They say something like, "oooooh, this looks so good. Can't wait to try it." And then they give it a five star rating 😠

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 2:36 PM

I'm not crying, you're crying.

_______was not on my bingo card.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2021 2:38 PM

I'm a member of a few New York photographic "nostalgia" groups. People leave messages under photos such as "My Dad's office was two blocks from there in the 80s"

Facebook: "lookin' good Tony!" - under the ugliest photo in the world

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2021 2:41 PM

OP must be some unhinged, masochist OCD. Why would anyone be continually reading stuff they find objectionable?

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2021 2:57 PM

“Said no one ever.” Although this seems to be waning a bit, thank god.

“This gave me all the feels.”

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2021 3:01 PM

Never understood how First! became a thing. Annoying from the start.

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 3:02 PM

Not so much a comment thing per se, but the use of ellipses - or sometimes more than three periods - as breaks.

Why... do people... do this... and why... does it seem... like such a common... occurrence... today?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2021 3:05 PM

Any comment where people quote the wisdom of their children. Blech! In fact, any post about children at all.

by Anonymousreply 45September 18, 2021 3:06 PM

Read a book.

Just here for the ratio.

by Anonymousreply 46September 18, 2021 3:08 PM

If you don’t care, then why are you here commenting?

by Anonymousreply 47September 18, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] Not so much a comment thing per se, but the use of ellipses - or sometimes more than three periods - as breaks.

People who use hyphens as em dashes and who don't know en and em dashes exist make me sad. 😓

by Anonymousreply 48September 18, 2021 3:12 PM

This didn’t age well.

by Anonymousreply 49September 18, 2021 3:15 PM

"face like a dropped pie"

"aged like milk"

by Anonymousreply 50September 18, 2021 3:21 PM

How it began:

How it's going:

by Anonymousreply 51September 18, 2021 3:39 PM

R48, I do that because in many instances you can’t use an em dash without inserting it as a special character—luckily in Microsoft products and here, you don’t have to. But the em dash here is actually two hyphens together, so it is not a true em dash.

by Anonymousreply 52September 18, 2021 3:39 PM

Any "it" phrase gets annoying after hearing it a thousand times. Current ones I can't stand:

"I did a thing," when posting a picture of food they made, or of any accomplishment really. Maybe it's the childish vagueness of it, or the pointlessness of a description masked as a nondescription.

When reading headlines, I'm constantly seeing, "...and why it matters." FUCK OFF.

Or "...you didn't know you needed," in a headline. Actually, now that you've said I needed it, I do not want it under any circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 53September 18, 2021 3:40 PM

"I did something new."

by Anonymousreply 54September 18, 2021 3:41 PM

R53 Lots of people are pointing out aspects of standard clickbait headlines.

by Anonymousreply 55September 18, 2021 3:42 PM

R55 Yes, I suppose because people are getting their headlines within their social media apps now.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2021 3:45 PM

"How it started . . . . How it's going"

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2021 3:49 PM

People using “yt” to mean a white person, often in an attempt to be derogatory. It’s everywhere on TikTok.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2021 3:50 PM

No one:

Literally no one:

Me:

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2021 3:51 PM

Y'all

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2021 3:53 PM

Racist Boris at R58.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2021 3:54 PM

Everyone says y'all now. I work for a national educational organization and our members from New York, Minnesota, California, Missouri, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, et al. say 'y'all.' It drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2021 3:55 PM

excessive use of the word FUCK

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2021 3:56 PM

R53….”and you should, too.”

In the same vein, Twitter is always posting things like “people are excited about Beyoncé’s new purse” or whatever. Feels like they’re trying to promote a herd mentality with the whole “people are” thing.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2021 3:58 PM

"Mayo Pete is corporate because he worked for McKinsey!!!". Right, I forgot being an analyst at McKinsey makes you satan-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2021 3:58 PM

"I'm totally obsessed with..."

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2021 4:00 PM

"Bernie is anti-establishmen!". Sitting in the senate for like 50 years and doing nothing is not "anti-establishment".

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2021 4:01 PM

"all the ______."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 18, 2021 4:01 PM

“Boris”

by Anonymousreply 69September 18, 2021 4:01 PM

guys I'M NOT OKAY

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70September 18, 2021 4:02 PM

R70 - THIS!

by Anonymousreply 71September 18, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote] No they don't. Each of those conveys a particular nuance. They might be annoying, language changes.

We’re not talking about the evolution of language. We’re talking about internet/social media fads and the lemmings who follow them.

by Anonymousreply 72September 18, 2021 4:06 PM

How is yt not short for YouTube? I’ve never heard of this before, r58, I think you’re making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 73September 18, 2021 4:08 PM

G.O.A.T.

by Anonymousreply 74September 18, 2021 4:11 PM

I saw ‘yt’ on here a week ago; it was a DLer making a snide comment about white people. To me, YT only means YouTube. But I guess if it’s in lowercase letters … (good thing people online always make sure to capitalize things appropriately).

by Anonymousreply 75September 18, 2021 4:12 PM

#adulting

by Anonymousreply 76September 18, 2021 4:17 PM

R75, it was probably racist r58 trying to make it a thing.

by Anonymousreply 77September 18, 2021 4:18 PM

One of the most inane comments I’ve seen recently is “Lets gooooooo” posted whenever some new thing (product, album, movie, tour) gets announced. It sounds aggressive, like the sort of thing you’d say when someone or something takes too long to move or materialize. But no, apparently it just means “I’m stoked for this.”

It’s always very young men (boys, really) saying it. On Instagram, mostly, and probably YouTube.

“…but go off, I guess.”

“But go off, king.”

“This ain’t it, chief.”

“That’s a nope from me.”

Those are typical of young males. Somehow they’re more grating to me than the lamest mainstream Twitter nonsense. I can roll my eyes at sayings like “Make it make sense” after seeing them too many times, but the stuff that comes almost exclusively from young males makes me want to bludgeon those kids.

by Anonymousreply 78September 18, 2021 4:19 PM

[quote]Amazon has a section for asking questions about a product one is considered purchasing. These are generally addressed to the wider world, yet many responses of "not sure" or "I don't know." Unless you DO know, why post anything?

I fucking hate when people do that! As if they think people just want to hear from them, even if they have nothing to contribute. STFU!

by Anonymousreply 79September 18, 2021 4:19 PM

Hashtags consisting of random sentences the poster has strung together. Boomer women especially do this. #OutToDinnerWithGoodFriends

by Anonymousreply 80September 18, 2021 4:20 PM

"LOLOLOLOLOLOL"

Fucking seriously? Are you really laughing out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud out loud?

by Anonymousreply 81September 18, 2021 4:20 PM

R81 like that Scotty Cunha (who?) on every one of Gary Janetti’s Instagram posts.

by Anonymousreply 82September 18, 2021 4:23 PM

I hate that LinkedIn has become Facebook, with personal post after personal post. If ever there were a time where the expression "Get a blog!" was called for, it's on LinkedIn now. It got a hundred times worse since the start of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2021 4:23 PM

I can't stand those annoying posts like "Your wedding is being planned by the cast of the last TV show you watched. Who's planning your wedding?" or "Your new nickname is the color of your shirt plus the last thing you ate. What's your nickname?" And people just LOVE to respond because of course it's just the funniest thing ever to them.

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2021 4:25 PM

I agree, r83. I rarely go to LinkedIn anymore—I get enough drivel here.

Just kidding DL! I just spent all morning posting on a couple of threads.

by Anonymousreply 85September 18, 2021 4:28 PM

[quote] I fucking hate when people do that! As if they think people just want to hear from them, even if they have nothing to contribute. STFU!

Some of them probably do it when Amazon harasses them to give feedback. Everyone has bought from Amazon and so everyone must know that their vendors urge you to give feedback. Some people probably just respond because of the prompts to do so, feeling obligated. I can imagine my elderly father doing that. He seems to have a hard time sometimes discerning between a solicitation and a personal request (which is scary).

by Anonymousreply 86September 18, 2021 4:29 PM

[R63], I confess I am guilty of that. I will try to cramp my style when I post. I find it an effective word, but many don't. There are lots more words to put across how one feels.

by Anonymousreply 87September 18, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote] Amazon has a section for asking questions about a product one is considered purchasing. These are generally addressed to the wider world, yet many responses of "not sure" or "I don't know."

Also, r79,

This has been discussed here numerous times. The long and the short of it is a basic misunderstanding.

Amazon will send you an email that says “Can you help this fellow customer out with [product] that you bought?

Question: Does this product come in additional colors?”

Then they give you two buttons, one says “Answer this question,” and the other says “I don’t know.” If people believe the email was only sent to them, and/or think Amazon is literally asking only them, or if they just don’t want to answer the question, some people just click “I don’t know.”

Alas, doing that makes your comment show up as though you wrote “I don’t know.”

by Anonymousreply 88September 18, 2021 4:32 PM

“No filter. None. Nada.”

My cousin does this on her numerous selfies. She’s in her lates 40s and I always feel so embarrassed for her.

by Anonymousreply 89September 18, 2021 4:33 PM

I've been a major Amazon purchaser for many many years and I've never gotten an email with buttons to click for a requested response.

by Anonymousreply 90September 18, 2021 4:34 PM

"Fuck around and find out" is currently very popular on Twitter with people who never have an original thought.

by Anonymousreply 91September 18, 2021 4:36 PM

"My cousin is clean and sober for one year and I bet him $10 that he could get 500 Likes in the next 24 hours."

by Anonymousreply 92September 18, 2021 4:38 PM

“So about last night…”

by Anonymousreply 93September 18, 2021 4:40 PM

R91 I admit I always enjoy that one, though.

by Anonymousreply 94September 18, 2021 4:58 PM

It’s possible you don’t leave reviews or there’s a different algorithm they use, r90. I don’t know. I’m just telling you my (and obviously others) experiences.

by Anonymousreply 95September 18, 2021 5:02 PM

One of the worst is the "DEAD to me" subject heading here on DL. Somebody please explain to me how this is clever or funny.

by Anonymousreply 96September 18, 2021 5:06 PM

"There's a lot to unpack here."

by Anonymousreply 97September 18, 2021 5:07 PM

On the comments section under pictures of hot guys or porn clips there will be posts directed to the models like “I could eat your ass all day long” or “You’re so hot, you ever come to Tulsa?”. It’s like the posters don’t understand that the images aren’t posted by the people appearing in them, and that they may have been made years ago.

by Anonymousreply 98September 18, 2021 5:07 PM

R96 It's disrespectful, and to people here, cruel irreverence is the highest form of humor.

This is the forum where adult gay men allow themselves to behave like the adolescent girls they are in their hearts.

by Anonymousreply 99September 18, 2021 5:09 PM

[quote]No one can agree anymore. The closest anyone can come is not to disagree.

I know someone who always says "I would agree." That is not a real assertion of agreement. Why can't you commit to agreeing instead of pussyfooting with this weakened language?

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2021 5:10 PM

Do better.

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2021 5:12 PM

Tell me xxxxxxx witout telling me xxxxxcc

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2021 5:15 PM

R99 It's not only disrespectful. It's stupid. Do DLers find it find it hilarious because it's the name of a TV series on Netflix and linking that into the announcement of a recent celebrity death is somehow ingenious?

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2021 5:18 PM

R102, are you Joe Pesci?

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2021 5:19 PM

When I see the handclap emoji repeated on a line I think of the browser users dependent on a screenreader. "handclap handclap handclap..." or "stop handclap making handclap handclap emojis handclap as handclap emphasis" ugh.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 5:23 PM

"I'm dying" ( or just "dying") in response to someone's facebook post.

"Laughing so hard I'm peeing" --- I actually unfriended someone for this. It seems to be always be women use like to use this one. I don't want to hear about your uncontrollable bladder.

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 5:25 PM

People are just copy cats. They have no originality. They have to do what someone sells did. They have to have this or that because someone else had it. So pathetic. I would never let my kid anywhere social media.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 5:26 PM

“This is everything!”

“BlessedAF”

“Forthegram”

Gorgeous and/or brave

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 5:29 PM

“Some people probably just respond because of the prompts to do so, feeling obligated.”

This is kind of the same thing. Like what do you think is going to happen if you don’t respond? The retail police will show up at your door and interrogate you?

Jesus people are just so stupid anymore.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 5:30 PM

"FACEBOOK KEEPS REMOVING THIS POST!"

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2021 5:30 PM

One day I’m seriously going to crack up, sign up for all social media and start commenting on everything on the internet and pointing out how cringe and embarrassing everyone has become.

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] pointing out how cringe

*CRINGE*

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2021 5:32 PM

R59 wins!

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Tell me xxxxxxx witout telling me xxxxxcc

This is by far the most overused “meme” on Twitter from the last 4 or 5 months, I’d say. Appalling.

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote] People don't engage in discussions anymore; they argue for the sake of winning and not learning, or else they say "THIS!"

Yesterday I wondered how people learned anything from going online because learning involves comprehending and accepting something novel, then storing it into memory. There's no refutation only contradiction:

e.g. "A tank is any heavily armed and armoured combat vehicle that moves on two endless metal chains called tracks."

Answer: "Yeah, well, that's your opinion."

Also I don't see rANdoM cAPitalIzATioN as anything approaching erudition.

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2021 5:34 PM

"I do not give Facebook or any entities associated with Facebook permission to use my pictures, information, messages or posts, both past and future."

Every time I see a post like this I just can't believe how stupid or gullible people can be.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2021 5:34 PM

The “DEAD to me” headlines on here are really retarded. I am in agreement with my contrarian DL brethren upthread. Even if it were funny at one point (and I have a hard time imagining how it was even funny the first time it was used), how is it funny on the 300th go-round?

I defy anyone who thinks it’s cute to explain the mechanics of the joke.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2021 5:35 PM

[quote] [R81] like that Scotty Cunha (who?) on every one of Gary Janetti’s Instagram posts.

WHO??

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 5:36 PM

When some bitch says "systematic" when they mean "systemic".

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 5:43 PM

"I'm going to leave this right here."

Oh, if only you would, but now look at yourself, you've gone and called attention to your stupidity and)or neediness.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 5:49 PM

This thread lives in my head rent-free.

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 5:51 PM

[quote] Jesus people are just so stupid anymore.

Irony.

by Anonymousreply 122September 18, 2021 5:53 PM

"DaddyAF"

"Growin'" (meaning getting fat on purpose)

by Anonymousreply 123September 18, 2021 5:53 PM

Nah, adding new neologisms to the language isn't something Orwell would have disapproved of! He did plenty of it himself.

by Anonymousreply 124September 18, 2021 5:55 PM

'Upmost' instead of 'utmost'. 'Per say' instead of 'per se'. 'Phased' instead of 'fazed.'

by Anonymousreply 125September 18, 2021 5:56 PM

When people ask for advice or recs then say:

And GO!

by Anonymousreply 126September 18, 2021 5:58 PM

Re: R125, The most vomitous misspelling is probably ‘walla’ for ‘voila’. YIKES.

by Anonymousreply 127September 18, 2021 5:58 PM

R127, I haven't come across that noxious mistake yet.

by Anonymousreply 128September 18, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] When people ask for advice or recs then say: And GO!

Or its Datalounge variant, “WELL??” For that to even make sense, there’d have to be a pause after the OP asks his question, and then a point where he gets tired of waiting for a single real answer, and then asks the question again, prefaced by the “WELL??” Just so obnoxious and retarded. Copycat behavior.

by Anonymousreply 129September 18, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] How is yt not short for YouTube? I’ve never heard of this before, [R58], I think you’re making shit up.

Funny that people on here are pretending like they have never seen “yt” to refer to white people when it’s literally all over social media platforms now.

by Anonymousreply 130September 18, 2021 6:02 PM

What about the stupid reaction memes, like blinky white guy or sassy black lady? They seem to be meant as exceptionally clever responses but it’s generally sheep being fucking retahded.

by Anonymousreply 131September 18, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote] Funny that people on here are pretending like they have never seen “yt” to refer to white people when it’s literally all over social media platforms now.

Which platforms and which users are posting it? It’s possible we’re in social media bubbles where we mostly avoid the sort of people who are early ‘yt’ bandwagoners. I am not “pretending” to not have seen it and I doubt anyone else is “pretending,” either. Why would we? The only place I’ve seen it is on Datalounge.

Are you the person who called me ‘yt’ last week when I said I didn’t know what the hell ‘yt’ meant?

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 6:09 PM

16 years ago my darling mother/fragile sister/favorite second cousin/only father/troubled university roommate I hadn't seen 8n 31 years/beloved dog Tippi/Miss Johnson my second grade teacher passed from this earth/left the building/left my life/took part of me with him.

The traditional gift, then, is wax or silver hollowware.

(Hoping for wax because I don't know you well --at all, it seems-- and wax is cheaper than a sterling sauce boat. Not to mention that I would have to look on Google calendar to figure my depressed uncle's death date, or death anniversary year, you maudlin fucking bitch. Happy Zakhor or whatever.)

by Anonymousreply 133September 18, 2021 6:10 PM

R131, those reaction memes are so unbelievably played out—and have been for years now—I can’t believe there’s anyone who still thinks it’s a good idea to use them. See also: the white girl from some reality show, who looks like Jennifer Lawrence, spitting her drink back into her mug.

by Anonymousreply 134September 18, 2021 6:11 PM

And DL's go-to "Sure, Jan," too?

by Anonymousreply 135September 18, 2021 6:12 PM

Funny that people on here are pretending like they have never seen “yt” to refer to white people when it’s literally all over social media platforms now.//

I've seen 'yt' a lot on twitter. It's the same people who refer to themselves happily as 'pocs', all lower case.

by Anonymousreply 136September 18, 2021 6:14 PM

"Just found out [me or child] has [disease]. Please help by sending money [I will shop with] to my GoFundMe!"

by Anonymousreply 137September 18, 2021 6:14 PM

Absolutely. “Sure, Jan” is overused everywhere, actually. It’s on Twitter and Facebook, too.

The only solution is just to not use any social media, ever. People are by and large stupid, boring, and unoriginal, and they dominate every part of the world, including social media. It would be best if the Internet were completely wiped out. By the Taliban, or the Soviets, or space aliens. It NEEDS to be destroyed.

We don’t need to be reminded constantly what a disgrace the human race is.

by Anonymousreply 138September 18, 2021 6:16 PM

Don't forget this little doozy: I was today years old when I learned blah, blah, blah.

Usually used when poster learned a well-known fact.

by Anonymousreply 139September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

"Y'all need to stay in your lane."

by Anonymousreply 140September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

Yesterday I saw a variation on “I was today years old when I learned…” The person actually wrote, “I’m today years old when I learned…”

WHAT?!

I’m guessing that was informed by the use of the phrase “since I’m 12” or “since I’m 16” (when what they really mean is “since I was 12”), which I get the impression is a Jewish-American thing. In use: “I have been humping couch cushions to get off since I’m 12.” Instead of “I’ve been […] since I was 12.” Is this indeed a Jewish thing? Not the humping of couch cushions, but the malformation of that phrase. “Since I’m [x years-old]” instead of “[Ever] since I was [x years-old].”

I first noticed it when I read the book Generation Sex by Dr Judy Kuriansky as a pre-teen in the early 90s. I noticed she rephrased the questions she received from callers to her radio talk show, and often her rephrasings had her personal mark on them, where it was obvious it wasn’t the caller’s question verbatim, but her paraphrasing. The phrase “since I’m [x years-old]” was in that book a few times. I had never encountered that before, and it was so odd. (Dr Kuriansky is Jewish.) Years later I was dating a Jewish girl, and one of my girlfriend’s younger sisters used the “… since I’m 12” phrasing one day. That’s when I decided it must be a Jewish thing.

Sorry for such a TL;DR post, but can any Dataloungers explain this bizarre linguistic quirk?

by Anonymousreply 141September 18, 2021 7:36 PM

R141, tell me more about the couch humping.

by Anonymousreply 142September 18, 2021 7:40 PM

I was trying to remember what some of the weird sex questions handled in the book were. A lot of it had to do with teens and their masturbating habits. I want to say pillow humping was covered; I’m pretty sure cucumbers were, too.

by Anonymousreply 143September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

Endless hashtags. #soannoying #gay #instagay #gaysofinsta #brave #thelovestoryoftandg #yolo #gpoy #stillhashtagging #cantstopwontstop #stillgay #seriouslystop #blatinohusbear #remember911 #trump2024 #WWG1WGA #hollyweird #stopthesteal #justkidding #omgsomebodystopme #imayneedhelp #call911 #imdead #seriouslyjustdied #RIPme #RIPmymentions

by Anonymousreply 144September 18, 2021 7:41 PM

"BREAKING: *something that happened a few days ago*"

Repubs are big on this.

by Anonymousreply 145September 18, 2021 7:43 PM

R141 People from New York and some from New Jersey, Connecticut and Los Angeles say "I'm born in [city name]."

I first noticed it in the Real Housewives; all the NYC women do it and Kyle from Beverly Hills says it. It drives me insane.

by Anonymousreply 146September 18, 2021 7:43 PM

Drawing comparisions to 1984 out of nowhere makes me want to punch them in the face and I inmediatly stop reading whatever retard shit they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 147September 18, 2021 7:43 PM

yt, cuz i too dum 2 spel white.

by Anonymousreply 148September 18, 2021 7:50 PM

Any comment that includes the word "problematic".

by Anonymousreply 149September 18, 2021 7:50 PM

R130 You don't need to use "literally" in your post, dear.

by Anonymousreply 150September 18, 2021 7:50 PM

Literally the word literally.

That's it. That's the post.

Close the thread.

Mic drop.

sksksksksksk

by Anonymousreply 151September 18, 2021 7:53 PM

R151 Yaaassss kweeeeen!

by Anonymousreply 152September 18, 2021 7:55 PM

Like literally

by Anonymousreply 153September 18, 2021 7:57 PM

👊🏼

💥🎤

by Anonymousreply 154September 18, 2021 7:58 PM

Kind of specific to YouTube but people will post disgustingly sentimental stories about a dead person under popular music videos. "This was my cousin's favorite song. She passed away from brain cancer last week and we played it at the funeral. Miss you Vanessa :( :( :(". It's so fucking gross. Of course these tacky cunts get thousands of likes from other shallow idiots.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 7:58 PM

R155 You have to love when it goes this way on YouTube...

[quote] This was my cousin's favorite song. She passed away from brain cancer last week and we played it at the funeral. Miss you Vanessa. Well, that's it for today, guys! Hope you enjoyed it! Don't forget to like and subscribe! Visit my Patreon to find exciting bonus content for my patrons!

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 8:00 PM

"I'm just gonna leave this right here" is annoying because it assumes you are unaware or will be riveted by what is to come

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2021 8:02 PM

My pet peeve is people like OP who use the term "Orwellian" without knowing what it means. In my experience people who do this are usually Republicans like Madison Cawthorn

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2021 8:02 PM

Republicans also insist that people today are dumber because they hate and fear social progress. They think people were smarter back when the public supported things like sodomy laws and segregation. It's funny because they're the ones trying to make our society dumber.

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2021 8:04 PM

It's not my job to educate you.

by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2021 8:04 PM

R158 Hey, hey taught me that 1984 is a fiction book AND great to read!

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2021 8:05 PM

Sorry, that should be "fiction novel."

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2021 8:05 PM

OP thinks using slang is "Orwellian" because he doesn't know what Orwellian means. He also doesn't get that people have been using slang for centuries

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2021 8:06 PM

There's still a lot of improperly used and excessive LITERALLY on DL

by Anonymousreply 164September 18, 2021 8:07 PM

"This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you _____."

Or.

"This, kids, is how you _____."

(In response to some talented performance on YouTube.)

by Anonymousreply 165September 18, 2021 8:14 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

by Anonymousreply 166September 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 167September 18, 2021 8:14 PM

"This is EVERYTHING!!"

by Anonymousreply 168September 18, 2021 8:17 PM

mts mts mts mts mts mts mts

by Anonymousreply 169September 18, 2021 8:28 PM

People on YouTube making comments about how music "back then" was so much better than Bieber. Of course most fans of the Thompson Twins would not like Bieber. Every generation tends to think their music was the best.

by Anonymousreply 170September 18, 2021 8:34 PM

[quote] Every generation tends to think their music was the best.

True, but Bieber sucks for any generation.

by Anonymousreply 171September 18, 2021 8:42 PM

Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams did make amends. These interviews (Archive of American TV) are cut up into very small clips, but here's one clip where they discuss their friendship. Penny also, at some point, says that the husband of Cindy was the reason things got difficult in the women's relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 18, 2021 8:52 PM

R155, I've been noticing more sentimentality on YouTube lately too, in another sense. Under clips taken from comedy shows, people get so earnest. I was looking at some clips from Daria the other day, and all the comments are things like:

"See, this shows that at the end of the day Daria really cares about Quinn." or

"Brittany may not be the smartest girl in school, but she's a loyal friend and the kind of girl you want in your corner".

And I just think: "What?" Can you even enjoy the humour of a show if you're spending the whole time trying to make these arguments? I find it really weird and like they are missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 173September 18, 2021 9:26 PM

YouTube comments are more about the presenter rather than the "content." YouTubers get really involved with the personas of the presenters. E.g., I watch "That Chapter" and I admit the presenter, Mike, is very cute. However, he presents true crime stories about grisly murders, that's the premise of his YouTube channel. Yet, the commenters are mostly commenting about Mike (rather than the grisly murders). I guess that's YouTube and what makes a YouTube channel successful.

by Anonymousreply 174September 18, 2021 9:38 PM

People starting sentences with 'not' when talking about something they did or that happened to them that they think was unusual or exciting.

'Not me standing in line behind Rihanna at Starbucks!'

by Anonymousreply 175September 18, 2021 11:18 PM

"blah, blah, blah. Pass!"

by Anonymousreply 176September 18, 2021 11:29 PM

The trend on this one has died down, but posts that begin with "when."

"When you only have five minutes to get ready for work." (Along with a photo of you sitting at a desk in pajamas.)

by Anonymousreply 177September 18, 2021 11:34 PM

“That’s pog”

by Anonymousreply 178September 18, 2021 11:38 PM

When people type filler words. It's one thing to use the word "like" twice a sentence when you speak? But you're going to take the extra time to type these useless words in your post? Why go out of your way to look stupid?

by Anonymousreply 179September 18, 2021 11:41 PM

When people post an opinion and then write something after it like, "No need to disagree," or something similar. As if they are allowed to post an opinion, but no dissent is allowed. Who the fuck do they think they are? I generally subscribe to the notion that arguing on the internet is like participating in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded, so I seldom engage. But man, when I see shit like that trying to close down anyone else's opinion, I can't help myself.

by Anonymousreply 180September 18, 2021 11:47 PM

I feel like you’re not on point, OP, and you’re definitely not thinking outside the box.

by Anonymousreply 181September 18, 2021 11:48 PM

IMO, the "I don't disagree," and other double-negative statements are irritating. I work in the legal field, so it makes sense to do that, sometimes. (It's more specific in a lot of instances.) But outside of work, I avoid double negatives. It's too much to fucking think about. Say what you mean and mean what you say! These double negatives are namby pamby and weak!

by Anonymousreply 182September 18, 2021 11:49 PM

"Touch some grass."

by Anonymousreply 183September 18, 2021 11:49 PM

"Are you kidding me?!"

by Anonymousreply 184September 18, 2021 11:52 PM

I don’t not not disagree with you, R182.

by Anonymousreply 185September 18, 2021 11:54 PM

Usually on YouTube the “legend has it, they’re still blah blah blah today”. It’s beat to death on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 186September 18, 2021 11:58 PM

Thanks, R185, I'm not ungrateful for your comment.

by Anonymousreply 187September 18, 2021 11:58 PM

I won't say that I'm not less than a little unamused.

by Anonymousreply 188September 19, 2021 12:00 AM

I'm too confused to comment further.

by Anonymousreply 189September 19, 2021 12:02 AM

Sir-ma'am, this is a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 190September 19, 2021 12:11 AM

Hold my beer

by Anonymousreply 191September 19, 2021 12:45 AM

Jesus, take the wheel!

by Anonymousreply 192September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

I see what you did there, OP.

by Anonymousreply 193September 19, 2021 2:01 AM

I loathe the ...(checks notes)... checks notes thing.

by Anonymousreply 194September 19, 2021 3:02 AM

I guess “yt” replaced the equally asinine “wipipo.”

by Anonymousreply 195September 19, 2021 3:16 AM

I have no patience for people who use social media to declare their depression/mental health challenges, and then harshly critique people who offer words of support.

You can never say the right thing to these people. It's like walking through a minefield.

by Anonymousreply 196September 19, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote]I guess “yt” replaced the equally asinine “wipipo.”

But BBC is fine, y'all!

by Anonymousreply 197September 19, 2021 12:35 PM

An article or story about an actor, singer, celebrity and there's always someone who feels the need to comment "I've never hear heard of him/her". How fucking fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 198September 19, 2021 12:47 PM

The obnoxiously hyperbolic enthusiasm about minor pieces of entertainment. The writers will post something like "Zac Efron and Anya Taylor Joy are Teaming up to Play A Couple and We are HERE for it" or " Shawn Mendes New Collab Just Dropped and It is EVERYTHING".

by Anonymousreply 199September 19, 2021 1:09 PM

I'm going to binge eat and then run to the bathroom to make myself puke because of r196s unsupportive post!

by Anonymousreply 200September 19, 2021 1:11 PM

R200 - Triggered!

: )

by Anonymousreply 201September 19, 2021 1:16 PM

The sanctimonious little prisspot headlines that have become widespread online particularly in places like slate magazine. A typical one would be something like " No, You Don't Get to Judge your Best Friends Romantic Choices". Or " Yes, Telling A Woman Not to Board An Airplane in a Thong is Slut Shaming".

by Anonymousreply 202September 19, 2021 1:16 PM

How about when you click PLAY on a free porn video and you are then pummeled with pop-up ads? The effort it takes to watch free porn online can sometimes be overwhelming!

by Anonymousreply 203September 19, 2021 1:20 PM

I hate it when people overpraise people on social media for stupid and lazy things.

E.g., Lil Nas X releasing a softcore auto-tuned "music" video is not equivalent to a firefighter rushing into a burning building and saving the lives of children.

It is not brave. It is not fierce.

by Anonymousreply 204September 19, 2021 1:26 PM

When people write "love, love, love" to describe how much they love something or somebody. Sometimes the third love is capitalized, which is even more annoying. For example, I love, love, LOVE this thread.

by Anonymousreply 205September 19, 2021 1:32 PM

I hate hate Hate when people say:

"I'm obsessed with...!"

Is there ever any middle ground?

by Anonymousreply 206September 19, 2021 1:34 PM

I hate the sarcastic " cool cool cool" line that's everywhere now.

by Anonymousreply 207September 19, 2021 1:40 PM

Hate both of those, OP. Especially “This”.

by Anonymousreply 208September 19, 2021 1:43 PM

I'm sick of the slobbering love and kudos and approval everyone gives to one another nowadays on posts: AMAZING, GORGEOUS, BEAUTY, LOVEEE! Admittedly I'm an old geezer, but in those days people didn't gush like that. I think that was healthier.

by Anonymousreply 209September 19, 2021 1:45 PM

AH MAZ ING.

The weather isn't just nice outside today, it is AMAZING.

Your jacket isn't pretty, it is AMAZING.

This is the best yogurt EVER.

by Anonymousreply 210September 19, 2021 1:46 PM

I hate when a morbidly obese person posts a swimsuit photo, and people go out of their way to say:

"You're gorgeous!"

"Fucking beautiful!"

"Goddess!"

It's one thing to be supportive. It's another thing to enable delusion.

by Anonymousreply 211September 19, 2021 1:52 PM

Pre-internet, we elders didn't really compliment each other at all, ever.

by Anonymousreply 212September 19, 2021 1:56 PM

The animated GIF of the woman doing a spit-take in response to something only mildly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 213September 19, 2021 2:02 PM

Stupid Donald Trump, Jr. quote-tweeting with the word "YIKES!!!"

by Anonymousreply 214September 19, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote]I hate when a morbidly obese person posts a swimsuit photo, and people go out of their way to say:

"Put some fucking clothes on."

by Anonymousreply 215September 19, 2021 2:04 PM

Do better, OP. Do better.

by Anonymousreply 216September 19, 2021 2:15 PM

R213 I always imagine how clever some boomer thinks they’re being when they post that.

by Anonymousreply 217September 19, 2021 2:52 PM

When people enter a discussion thread, whether it's very general or a specific topic of anything from entertainment to sports to politics or anything else, and people want you to educate them on what;s being discussed instead of doing any type of research on their own. Presumably, since they're communicating online, they have access to such internet resources as Wikipedia. There was one time I had started a thread about a silent era actor and someone actually joined in and said "Never heard of him. What movies was he in?"

Also, people who join discussions about someone's else favorites with the inevitable "Hate them/it!", "How can anyone think they're good looking?" etc

by Anonymousreply 218September 19, 2021 2:53 PM

I hate the animated GIF of Michael Jackson eating popcorn in the Thriller video.

It's like, yeah, your Twitter post is so brilliant we're all going to sit back and enjoy the controversy like a movie.

I don't think so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219September 19, 2021 2:55 PM

"We need to talk about..."

by Anonymousreply 220September 19, 2021 2:58 PM

I'm guilty of that R218, in the sense that the thread has a premise that folks should know this celebrity.

I'll post something like "doesn't do much for me" if the subject is acclaimed as haf.

by Anonymousreply 221September 19, 2021 2:59 PM

I loathe “This one hurts.” whenever a famous person dies. So all the others didn’t hurt, is what you’re saying. Thanks. Real nice.

They’re only writing “This one hurts” because they’ve seen other people post it a hundred times.

by Anonymousreply 222September 19, 2021 3:01 PM

If something doesn't do much for you, one option is to stfu and move on.

Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 223September 19, 2021 3:01 PM

R218 I get what you mean but I tend to be more forgiving. Sometimes you just want to hear the info from your “friends“ on the thread, their informed take instead of Wikipedia.

by Anonymousreply 224September 19, 2021 3:02 PM

Amen! Preach!

by Anonymousreply 225September 19, 2021 3:12 PM

"You got this!" Especially when it's a white, middle-aged woman. My mom even said it in a text not too long ago! FUCK OFF!

by Anonymousreply 226September 19, 2021 3:15 PM

YOU GOT THIS!

by Anonymousreply 227September 19, 2021 3:32 PM

YOU GOT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 228September 19, 2021 3:33 PM

R199 r204 Sweeties, the extravagant praise for x celeb or y artist is not real—it’s the PR intern's 500th post on a long list of sites. (Isn’t it, I hope?)

DEAD to me, is a Joan Rivers-ism. It will always be a fond favorite on DL, if nowhere else.

by Anonymousreply 229September 19, 2021 3:35 PM

"Dead to me" is classic, ask any Italian-American.

by Anonymousreply 230September 19, 2021 4:02 PM

r230

by Anonymousreply 231September 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Fair point, r230 but DL gets it from Joan Rivers, not Vinny down at the car wash.

Plus, Vinny's connected family just says, “DEAD,” without the “to me” modifier.

by Anonymousreply 232September 19, 2021 4:10 PM

But why are “DEAD” or “DEAD TO ME” — which are a way of saying “I’m cutting you out of my life because of what you did!” — appropriate for announcing the literal death of a person? Did Joan Rivers really say that in response to someone’s death? I’m curious what her actual joke was, if that’s the case. What was the context, who died, etc.

by Anonymousreply 233September 19, 2021 4:15 PM

Dead To Me is now a tradition on DataLounge when a celebrity dies.

Don't over think it. Just go with it.

by Anonymousreply 234September 19, 2021 4:22 PM

Typing “fir” instead of “for”. See it so often it can’t be typos. Annoying and baffling—but not maddeningly so.

by Anonymousreply 235September 19, 2021 4:50 PM

"Dead to Me" on DL isn't funny or clever when it's posted every single time someone dies

by Anonymousreply 236September 19, 2021 4:56 PM

People who start their posts with ... you guys

by Anonymousreply 237September 19, 2021 5:01 PM

R235, I also see people deliberating typing FINNA instead of GONNA (not in all-caps, mind you—my phone will not let me post FINNA in lower case, it autocorrects to ‘gonna’ no matter what I do).

by Anonymousreply 238September 19, 2021 5:03 PM

[quote] Dead To Me is now a tradition on DataLounge when a celebrity dies.

So I’ve noticed.

I’m asking why it’s a tradition. Explain the mechanics of the joke. Explain Joan Rivers’ part in it. I’m just curious is all.

by Anonymousreply 239September 19, 2021 5:05 PM

[quote] This is Orwellian. It's Newspeak. It represents Orwell's idea of dumbing down the public by limiting vocabulary and thereby limiting the ranges of people's thoughts and feelings.

No, it's not at all. Orwell's idea of Newspeak was that the state consciously limits language so as to limit the possibilities for nuance and dissent. Yu're just talking about people being imprecise or lazily relying on memes. There's no political intention behind it.

You're just being a melodramatic Mary, OP.

by Anonymousreply 240September 19, 2021 5:07 PM

R239 - I think it's the shock of an irreverent phrase to announce a solemn event while knowing that the poster is paying tribute to a celebrity that they don't actually hate.

by Anonymousreply 241September 19, 2021 5:16 PM

I don't know about Newspeak, but social media certainly does promote conformity.

by Anonymousreply 242September 19, 2021 5:18 PM

I’m doing nothing and then blaming my parent for it

by Anonymousreply 243September 19, 2021 5:20 PM

Weird, the bug hit again. I posted this as a reply to another thread. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 244September 19, 2021 5:20 PM

"Rest in Power!"

by Anonymousreply 245September 19, 2021 5:23 PM

When celebrity offspring post throwback pix of Mom or Dad at the height of their beauty and fame, to remind us all of their awesome lineage. #Famiglia #Legend #Mama #Queen #GOAT #80s

by Anonymousreply 246September 19, 2021 5:30 PM

On Facebook, if there's a new movie or an event going on., In the comments section a person will tag their friend. "Jane Smith we HAVE to go to this"

So for shits and giggles I replied "Can I come along?" Of course she got all upset. So I told her that's what DM's are for you dumb cunt!

Of course the comment was removed by Facebook police. I just wanted to see what would happen.

by Anonymousreply 247September 19, 2021 5:39 PM

R247 "Are people that desperate for attention?"

Yes, they are.

by Anonymousreply 248September 19, 2021 5:45 PM

The overuse of “Legend” to describe an unremarkable friend or family member is really irritating, too. Thank you for reminding me R246. And it isn’t just celebrities that do it. Every skateboard bro will post a picture of their buddy and write “This absolute legend…”

Yeah, okay, your friend that no one has ever heard of is a “legend,” okay.

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2021 6:05 PM

The phrase, "just some food for thought". It makes me want to bash someone's skull in. I HATE it. It's so condescending, so presumptuous, so nasty. HATE it. The person saying that is always coming across as whatever they have just said, or are about to say is so wholesome, so warm and nourishing to the listener's soul, that they should just adore it in such a wholesome, warmhearted way. Just say, I'm such a virtuous person, listen to me what I say.

Don't worry, I won't actually ever do anything when someone says that. I won't even say anything. Other than I will never willingly have another interaction with that person again.

A distant second is "just my two cents". Fuck off, you little humble bits of wisdom spouting wonder. You're so above everyone, just out there spouting your infinite genius without expecting anything in return.

Yes, you are. You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2021 6:55 PM

Most times when I scroll Instagram, I write alternative captions in my head for my friends’ posts, because I know how they really are. Any selfie is “I’m looking at my face and think I’m pretty hot, especially in this photo. I want as many of you as possible to agree, which will boost my ego and soothe my insecurity. But I’m captioning it here with something either self-deprecating or deeply serious, which will surely fool all of you. Will it work? Probably not but I don’t care. Annnnd…post!”

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2021 7:04 PM

R250, you speak directly to my soul. ❤️ Let’s hate, together.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2021 7:18 PM

Since Covid, some family members and I have been doing group texts (all of us well into adulthood). There's one person who always posts photos of what alcoholic drink she's drinking with a view of wherever she's at. E.g., salt-rimmed margarita on a table in a restaurant. What's the point? We're all adults, we can all afford liquor, etc. We've all drank enough alcohol to last a lifetime. I think she's going through a midlife crisis and wants to be a party girl.

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2021 7:28 PM

I promise to never make it past "Am I the only one"

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2021 7:55 PM

You're all so touchy. How do you get through your days?

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2021 7:57 PM

Seen on Facebook, a screenshot from a movie or television show with the caption "Na,e this movie/show. Wrong answers only." WTF?

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2021 8:01 PM

"Wrong answers only" infected Twitter a while back.

Some very big accounts use it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2021 8:13 PM

Any comment that includes the word privilege (especially coming from a college-educated white woman with purple hair.)

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2021 8:22 PM

When someone puts the hashtag #fact at the end of their post.

Most of the time used when some idiot has voiced a stupid opinion based in nothing of the kind.

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2021 8:27 PM

“[such and such a thing] just hits different.”

First of all, it should be ‘differently’; second, it’s a total fuckin’ cliché at this point, stop it; third—what are you really trying to say?

Also, is it an allusion to/inspired by drug use? “I was standing on my hand when I did that bong rip, and when the THC entered my bloodstream, it just hit different.”

Total pothead here, so I’m not judging, if that’s the case… unless it’s a normie who doesn’t use any drugs using that expression to describe something that ‘stands out’ from the pack.

by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2021 8:35 PM

"Back when men were men" – "Back when women weren't afraid to be feminine". "Feminism destroyed everything! Woke culture, SJWS... " Blah blah blah, you see these kind of comments littered throughout YouTube, especially on videos concerning the 1950s and 60s. I'm quite sick of seeing them. And all these "Back in my day" crybabies seem to do is suck the joy and fun out of everything, they don't make me want to go back to that time or era, even though I love a lot of the things from that period.

by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2021 8:50 PM

[quote]Blah blah blah, you see these kind of comments littered throughout YouTube, especially on videos concerning the 1950s and 60s.

Oh god, yes. I like watching some of those history videos, the ones from the 1930s particularly, and people actually write stuff like: "life was so much better then" on a video of Paris in 1938. Huh?

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2021 9:09 PM

"Ngl that bothers me too."

Really? So lying is easy for you that you need to let know everyone this one post moved you so?

by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2021 9:12 PM

The worst thing about those videos of life in Paris circa 1938 is when they’re “remastered in 4K 60fps” — huh? Why would you do that? Nothing should be remastered in fucking 60fps if it was shot at 24fps, or less… nor does most of it require a 4K scan/upload. Youtubers broadly are morons—not just the commenters but the uploaders as well.

by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2021 9:13 PM

R264 Film should be rendered at a high resolution.

Find something else to get in a snit about.

by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2021 9:20 PM

[quote] with a view of wherever she's at.

Oh, dear.

[quote]We've all drank enough alcohol to last a lifetime.

Yes, we know. We can see how it affected your grammar.

by Anonymousreply 266September 19, 2021 9:26 PM

Sorry, R266, I saw my errors after I posted. I'm tired.

by Anonymousreply 267September 19, 2021 9:40 PM

"Not gonna lie" is the new "honestly." I didn't know you could say "ngl" for short. SMH.

When you have to announce that you're not going to lie, that's pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 268September 19, 2021 9:41 PM

[quote] [R264] Film should be rendered at a high resolution. Find something else to get in a snit about.

Yes, I know. I’m an avid blu ray and 4K/UHD disc collector. 2K is plenty for a *print* of something that wasn’t even shot on 35mm, and it should *never* be motion-smoothed to 60fps. This is off-topic, so I’ll leave it here, but don’t lecture me about something you apparently don’t understand.

by Anonymousreply 269September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

Oh, I luv ya anyway, r267.

Just having some fun.

by Anonymousreply 270September 19, 2021 9:58 PM

I hate when someone dies and people always tweet #RIP with their name. Why do people have to do that? It seems both pointless and attention seeking without being respectful at all.

I also hate #NeverForget on 9/11. Come the fuck on. Who has forgotten? And is your goddamned stupid tweet going to keep it in popular memory?

Most people are nothing but mindless drones who do what the hive does.

by Anonymousreply 271September 19, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote] Most people are nothing but mindless drones who do what the hive does.

Succinctly sums up everything that’s been discussed in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 272September 19, 2021 10:10 PM

What does "wrong answers only" even mean? What's the joke?

Just think, one person came up with each of these inanities and posted it first. And in each case, only one person knows who it was.

by Anonymousreply 273September 19, 2021 10:13 PM

R273 I invented Post-Its but no one believes me because of that stupid movie!

by Anonymousreply 274September 19, 2021 10:14 PM

[quote] What does "wrong answers only" even mean? What's the joke?

It means the responses are the ones that make the jokes. Similar to a “caption me” post. Most everyone would know the real reason the pic was taken, they’re asking people to make a joke reason why it was taken.

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2021 10:27 PM

Thanks, R275. I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2021 10:31 PM

Shut the fuck up, OP. Nobody cares what you think.

by Anonymousreply 277September 19, 2021 11:01 PM

People who write 'nobody cares' on a thread which has already generated 276 previous replies.

by Anonymousreply 278September 19, 2021 11:04 PM

*random black chick or drag queen animated gif accompanied by single statement*

by Anonymousreply 279September 20, 2021 12:50 AM

This is highly specific to reddit but I can't stand their users habit of upvoting stupid off topic comments on news articles. In a thread with 1000 comments the first 500 will be either tangentially related or some stupid joke that other commenters add to. It's obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 280September 20, 2021 12:54 AM

R280.... this is a Wendy's.

by Anonymousreply 281September 20, 2021 3:28 AM

Literally. Like literally.

by Anonymousreply 282September 20, 2021 3:36 AM

It's MA'AM, R282.

by Anonymousreply 283September 20, 2021 4:01 AM

"Full stop."

"Let that sink in."

by Anonymousreply 284September 20, 2021 4:02 AM

Oh gawd, I can’t believe it took us so long to get to “let that sink in.”

by Anonymousreply 285September 20, 2021 4:04 AM

“No words.”

by Anonymousreply 286September 20, 2021 4:55 AM

#Iconic

by Anonymousreply 287September 20, 2021 5:15 AM

“____ must be protected at all costs.”

by Anonymousreply 288September 20, 2021 5:23 AM

“Just sayin’ “ makes me want to kill.

by Anonymousreply 289September 20, 2021 7:16 AM

"...on Beyoncé's internet" or similar just sounds obnoxious to me.

by Anonymousreply 290September 20, 2021 8:14 AM

Think you can find a more annoying response?

I'll wait.

by Anonymousreply 291September 20, 2021 8:46 AM

It should come as no surprise that so many of these are declared frequently on Roxane Gay's Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 292September 20, 2021 8:50 AM

The use of many hashtags, and the reasons for annoyance vary for me from humble bragging to passive aggression to herd mentality.

by Anonymousreply 293September 20, 2021 11:15 AM

“Change the narrative”

“Toxic masculinity”

“So much this”

“Name a better (blank), i’ll wait”

“I can’t even”

If someone asks for a recommendation for something and ends it with “and go.” Example- “Looking for a good place to go to dinner... and go!

Starting a response with “I mean”. It’s completely unnecessary unless you’re explaining something further. Example- you ask someone their favorite color and they say, “I mean, it’s blue.” I’d love it if people stopped doing that. Just say “It’s blue.”

I never want to hear any of these phrases again.

by Anonymousreply 294September 20, 2021 11:53 AM

Live your truth

by Anonymousreply 295September 20, 2021 11:55 AM

Ugh, R295, that just reminds me that I can't bear all this "my truth", "your truth" stuff. It's made everyone think their own opinions are just as valid as facts.

by Anonymousreply 296September 20, 2021 12:07 PM

“This reeks of...”

Or

“This screams...”

I.e.- “This screams toxic masculinity!”

Hate them both.

by Anonymousreply 297September 20, 2021 12:14 PM

I can’t.

by Anonymousreply 298September 20, 2021 12:46 PM

Shocial media.

by Anonymousreply 299September 20, 2021 1:16 PM

"I'd like to report a murder" when attaching/retweeting a put-down response to a troll or right-wing idiot.

by Anonymousreply 300September 20, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote]I can’t.

I can't even.

by Anonymousreply 301September 20, 2021 2:12 PM

I hate on Facebook when people comment on a post by tagging a friend.

As if their friend wants to be bombarded with more shitty posts to read.

by Anonymousreply 302September 20, 2021 2:52 PM

When people use uptalk in their writing. They need to be smacked.

Ex/ "Like, uh do you really believe that?"

by Anonymousreply 303September 20, 2021 2:54 PM

That’s actually a question r303. Here's a better ex: “so, I was talking to my boss the other day?”

But yeah.

by Anonymousreply 304September 20, 2021 3:14 PM

Starting a comment with "Umm ..." That's passive-aggressive, IMO. If you disagree or want to correct someone, just do it.

by Anonymousreply 305September 20, 2021 5:09 PM

Well, like, um, that's your opinion. Prove me wrong?

Go!

by Anonymousreply 306September 20, 2021 5:23 PM

Based on the comments in this thread, it's safer for DLers to just stay off social media entirely.

by Anonymousreply 307September 20, 2021 7:07 PM

That’s true, r307. Almost all of the current fads have been touched.

by Anonymousreply 308September 20, 2021 7:08 PM

(photo of mediocre male celeb shirtless)

"... and I'm pregnant."

by Anonymousreply 309September 20, 2021 8:02 PM

That’s it! That’s the post!

by Anonymousreply 310September 20, 2021 8:12 PM

"I'm wheezing". It's usually after a stupid meme or a clip from some horrible 70s sitcom. Really? "You're wheezing" because you found Jodie Foster on "The Courtship of Eddie's Father" that hilarious?

by Anonymousreply 311September 20, 2021 8:36 PM

[146], Lol, I first heard that one when “Hilaria” Baldwin was called out on her grift, “I’m born in Boston”.

by Anonymousreply 312September 20, 2021 9:20 PM

"OMG, I'm dead! I'm dead! LOL"

by Anonymousreply 313September 21, 2021 12:44 AM

R146

by Anonymousreply 314September 21, 2021 3:40 AM

But yeh.

Yeh, no.

by Anonymousreply 315September 21, 2021 3:42 AM

Kinda fond of regionalisms. Love the construction r146 describes. We moved to queens from overseas, and I noticed that kind of statement right off the bat: “i'm living in this building three years and she's never once said hello to me.” Reminds of Carvel ice cream and Bohack's supermarket.

But authentically, the syntax is reversed. The time phrase comes first, before the verb, and the rest of the sentence follows, like this: “Three years I'm coming to this store, and the deli is the best.” “Twenty years we know each other, always a smile.”

It may have to do with Yiddish or German syntax, I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 316September 21, 2021 4:01 AM

I don't "do" social media. It's flooded with simpletons, as evidenced by the comments themselves. How can anyone with half a brain stand it?

by Anonymousreply 317September 21, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote] Starting a comment with "Umm ..." That's passive-aggressive, IMO.

You are a hater.

by Anonymousreply 318September 21, 2021 6:46 AM

NOPE

by Anonymousreply 319September 21, 2021 12:02 PM

"Fixed that for you!" when quoting someone and changing or adding a few words to slightly or even completely alter the meaning of what was originally said. It's so snotty. Even when it's done in a "friendly" way, it's annoyingly presumptuous.

by Anonymousreply 320September 21, 2021 3:33 PM

People posting on social media claiming they don't do social media.

by Anonymousreply 321September 21, 2021 4:39 PM

"Obligatory gym selfie."

by Anonymousreply 322September 21, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote]It may have to do with Yiddish or German syntax, I don’t know.

I instinctively read R316's sentences in Old Jewish Man voice, so I can definitely see this.

by Anonymousreply 323September 21, 2021 5:02 PM

R322, that "obligatory" nonsense makes me roll my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 324September 21, 2021 7:58 PM

Well, smell her!

by Anonymousreply 325September 22, 2021 7:00 AM

Comments like “Why do bad things happen to good people?”, posted by people who will not rest until someone asks “You ok, hun?”

by Anonymousreply 326September 22, 2021 8:44 AM

Well, you have no choice, OP.

You'll just have to go kill those people.

by Anonymousreply 327September 22, 2021 9:40 AM

Felt cute, might delete later

by Anonymousreply 328September 22, 2021 2:50 PM

"Trump belongs in prison. Retweet (or like, or raise your hand) if you agree" is posted all over Twitter in a blatant attempt to keep "engagements" up. I've unfollowed dozens of "Resistance Twitter" accounts because of this.

by Anonymousreply 329September 22, 2021 3:55 PM

I don’t get how “gonna” becomes “finna.”

Not a comment but I fucking HATE the term, “mukkbang.”

by Anonymousreply 330September 29, 2021 4:25 AM

R330 "Finna" gets its origins from the southern phrase, "fixing to."

by Anonymousreply 331September 29, 2021 9:57 AM

Tired of social media? Watch these kids interact with each other *in person* at the Roosevelt Field Mall in 1983.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332September 29, 2021 3:24 PM

"Who?"

"Link please?"

by Anonymousreply 333September 29, 2021 3:32 PM

The word "narrative" seems to be used a lot these days. Those who use it (mainly anti-vaxxing moms and deplorables who watch Fox News) think it makes them sound well-educated when discussing politics.

by Anonymousreply 334September 29, 2021 4:09 PM

IMHO

by Anonymousreply 335October 10, 2021 7:12 PM

“This is bonkers.” “This is bananas.”

I’ve noticed a lot of writer Twitter people are fond of those two.

by Anonymousreply 336October 10, 2021 7:46 PM

The stupid hand claps between words when trying to make a super bold and outspoken socio political statement. As if the somehow made your stupid ideas smarter or righter.

by Anonymousreply 337October 10, 2021 7:54 PM

An annoying one I see on Twitter a lot is people being described as "white passing." And most of the people called that are clearly not (or at least not completely) white.

by Anonymousreply 338October 10, 2021 9:19 PM

SAY 👏 HER 👏 NAME 👏 R337!

by Anonymousreply 339October 11, 2021 7:05 AM

No filter.

by Anonymousreply 340October 11, 2021 7:20 AM

TLDR. God I hate acronyms and that one especially. I always have to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 341October 11, 2021 3:36 PM

Don’t forget the semi colon, R341.

FOMO is a new one that I could not figure out for the life of me.

by Anonymousreply 342October 11, 2021 4:05 PM

"I'll never understand why..."

Never, huh? OK, stay willfully ignorant then, you smallminded cunt.

by Anonymousreply 343October 17, 2021 12:53 PM

Do better (i.e., what I say).

by Anonymousreply 344October 17, 2021 2:28 PM

People who put that shoulder shrug emoji at the end of a comment. It’s usually a passive-aggressive way to say “I’m so much better/smarter/richer/wiser/more sophisticated” than you.”

EXAMPLE:

POST (poor city dweller living measly paycheck to measly paycheck): “The ShopRite in my neighborhood just closed. Drat, now I’ll have to take the bus to get to the nearest grocery store 15 miles away!”

RESPONSE (from Greenwich, CT suburban mom whose “job” is chauffeuring the kids around to activities in her Escalade) : “So many great local alternatives…Whole Foods…The Fresh Market…the Farmer’s Market that sells those yummy apples in mid-October…Le Bespoke Gourmet Patisserie Shoppe down in New Rochelle…I don’t know, I won’t miss Shop Rite. 🤷‍♀️“

(I know. I type poor.)

by Anonymousreply 345October 17, 2021 3:32 PM

*chef’s kiss*

“say less”

by Anonymousreply 346October 17, 2021 5:12 PM

"kissing teeth"

by Anonymousreply 347October 17, 2021 6:08 PM

"clapped back" is used all the time on Yahoo News. No wonder nobody takes it seriously.

by Anonymousreply 348October 17, 2021 6:14 PM

PeriodT!!

by Anonymousreply 349October 17, 2021 6:27 PM

People who constantly request people to raise their hands should be boiled in their own blood.

by Anonymousreply 350October 17, 2021 7:00 PM

The “raise your hand if” thing has died down considerably in the last year, thank the lord.

by Anonymousreply 351October 17, 2021 11:22 PM

Following!

by Anonymousreply 352October 18, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] I hate the trend of leaving the "what" out of "what the fuck".

I hate people using a four-letter word for copulation in a sentence without copulation.

by Anonymousreply 353October 18, 2021 12:30 AM

There I fixed it for you…..just hate that response.

by Anonymousreply 354October 18, 2021 12:31 AM

Better yet, “You just earned yourself a follow.”

by Anonymousreply 355October 18, 2021 12:31 AM

Like many in my generation (older Millennials) my Facebook feed is usually

• Two people you worked with 15 years ago at your first job and might not recognize if they were sitting next to you on an airplane have birthdays today!

•  A woman you were friends with in high schools but haven't seen in years just posted ten more photos of her toddler. Who is cute, but I've never even met her husband except for saying hi quickly at the wedding. (Though come to think of it, he's cute too...)

• Your cousin's start-up business posted something inspirational and since she's your first cousin you can't unfollow her business without inflaming the entire family. Tempting though that may be.

Instagram is mostly "Here are the same photos you just saw on Facebook plus some cool scenery shots and lots of ads for things you are somewhat tempted to buy despite knowing that they are never as good in person as they look on Instagram."

by Anonymousreply 356October 18, 2021 12:36 AM

Without fail, whenever I post a "story" photo at Instagram, a lewd woman with a username containing the phrase "watch my pussy" likes it. When I reported her to the administrators, I got an automated response that according to their algorithm there appears to be no site violation with it (although clearly there is).

by Anonymousreply 357October 18, 2021 1:09 AM

"_____ much?"

by Anonymousreply 358October 18, 2021 1:16 AM

[quote]This one transcends social media, but: "I don't disagree." (No one can agree anymore. The closest anyone can come is not to disagree.)

I'm constantly seeing "He/she isn't wrong" on DL now.

by Anonymousreply 359October 18, 2021 1:20 AM

I like TL;DR as a response to a long-winded post.

However, long-winded posters who put that TL;DR at the end of their long posts, then put things in a nutshell ... Ugh! The nutshell should go at the top!

by Anonymousreply 360October 18, 2021 1:22 AM

In restaurant reviews:

"On point," as in "the tuna tatare was on point." This tells me nothing.

"Amazing" i.e., "the Mac & Cheese balls were amazing!" If a piece of food is amazing to you, you are stupid or uninformed.

"I really wanted to like this place..." We recognize that as the beginning of a negative review. You didn't go in there "really wanting to like it." Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 361October 18, 2021 1:24 AM

This thread is full of win!

by Anonymousreply 362October 18, 2021 1:34 AM

R361, sometimes I really do want to like a place. E.g., if it's a mom-and-pop place that I'd rather frequent rather than a corporate chain. I do get disappointed when I try to support small businesses and they just don't deliver the basics. (I don't write bad reviews, though. I just stop going.)

by Anonymousreply 363October 18, 2021 1:35 AM

"I just can't even." (on Facebook)

by Anonymousreply 364October 18, 2021 1:39 AM

Prayer Warriors! Please lift up _____ in prayer!

by Anonymousreply 365October 18, 2021 1:41 AM

Has "Louder For People In the Back!" been mentioned?

by Anonymousreply 366October 18, 2021 3:01 AM

Use of the word "gross" as in:

[quote] I think it's really gross that he left his wife and children.

by Anonymousreply 367October 18, 2021 4:06 AM

"Gifted" as a replacement for "gave" or "given." I don't recall ever seeing "gifted" in that sense before social media came around. "Gifted" always meant talented or smart, as in a "gifted child."

by Anonymousreply 368October 18, 2021 4:11 AM

Recipe blogs where you have to read the author's life story as it relates to this dish, or scroll down through endless ads to get to the actual recipe.

And, related to the post about people reviewing a recipe without making it: people who change the ingredients and then post a review of it. You didn't make this recipe if you didn't follow this ingredient list!!!

One time a woman substituted applesauce in place of butter and said it was better than the original recipe. Another person used Xylitol and some other weird ingredient and I asked if they had a prescription. If you didn't make the recipe as shown, just shut up.

by Anonymousreply 369October 18, 2021 4:20 AM

I get friend requests on both platforms from bots who claim to be women representing sex sites. R357

The bot profile is quite upfront about it too.

I reported them a couple of times, got the same results you did and then stopped.

by Anonymousreply 370October 18, 2021 9:51 AM

R369 inserting one’s own life story into an unrelated topic is a social media trend that seems to have infiltrated ALL media including (but probably not limited to) documentaries, biographies, and assorted other nonfiction works.

For example, I tuned in for a TCM documentary about silent filmmaker Alice Guy-Blanche a few months ago. Turned it off after the first 15 minutes because it was less about Alice G-B and more about the filmmaker’s personal “journey of discovery” about the filmmaker (with superfluous celebrity commentary along the way). Navel gazing was never this bad until social media came along.

by Anonymousreply 371October 18, 2021 11:24 AM

There's a related issue at Goodreads, R370. Whenever I get a notification that someone has "liked" my recent update (addition) of a book with Currently Reading status, it's a hacked account with a link to a porn site in the website field.

by Anonymousreply 372October 18, 2021 1:25 PM

I remember reading that the reason recipes are preceded by long stories is that you cannot copyright a recipe, but you can copyright the article in which it appears. Something like that.

by Anonymousreply 373October 18, 2021 1:49 PM

Anyone that posts a message with "hold my beer" should be shot.

Also that stupid thing people post on music videos on YouTube:

Director: how flashy do you want this video to be?

Katy Perry: Yes

I know Katy Perry's ova but this is just an example

by Anonymousreply 374October 19, 2021 1:07 AM

"Wait, what?"

by Anonymousreply 375October 19, 2021 5:03 AM

"One weird old trick" in ads.

I had one weird old trick about 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 376October 19, 2021 5:09 AM

How often do pies get dropped, so that people know what a dropped pie looks like?

by Anonymousreply 377October 19, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote]"Mayo Pete is corporate because he worked for McKinsey!!!".

He worked for Colonel Mustard.

by Anonymousreply 378October 19, 2021 5:14 AM

Bruh.

by Anonymousreply 379October 19, 2021 5:17 AM

"Pureblood" and "Medical Freedom"

by Anonymousreply 380October 19, 2021 5:21 AM

Any sentence that starts with “Meh” or “Eh.”

by Anonymousreply 381October 19, 2021 12:24 PM

When people post screenshots from a conversation that escalated into insults, without even making it clear who they were talking to, or how it all started. There's such a sense of entitlement in not only thinking other people care about your personal drama, but that they care enough to figure out the context for themselves.

Porn actors on twitter do this all.the.fucking.time (yes, I know that putting dots between words is considered maddeningly annoying by some), and it drives me fucking nuts.

Equally annoying: cryptic posts about an ex, hinting at something terrible they did without saying what it was. It's especially enraging when you secretly have a crush on said ex. 'I'm putting (insert name of ex) behind bars' - WHAT DO YOU WANT TO PUT HIM BEHIND BARS FOR, BITCH?! HOW FUCKED UP IS HE? SPILL THE DETAILS, OR SHUT THE FUCK UP!

by Anonymousreply 382October 19, 2021 6:13 PM

[quote]I hate hate Hate when people say: "I'm obsessed with...!" Is there ever any middle ground?

The 'obsessed' thing is particularly bad when used by gushy instafraus in response to a picture of one of their frau friends. Who the fuck is 'obsessed' with a friend, never mind a completely unremarkable photo of her drinking coffee or hugging a sunflower?

And how do these people even function in the real world where they're not constantly told how cuuuute, totes adorbs, and AMAZING they are?

by Anonymousreply 383October 19, 2021 6:39 PM

When someone turns 40 or over, posting a carefully staged selfie captioned "This Is__". Sometimes with "no filter" added. We get it, you want us to proclaim shock and awe at how youthful you look, and also how brave for posting your face. Looking at you, Paulina Porizkova.

by Anonymousreply 384October 19, 2021 11:16 PM

RIP your mentions

by Anonymousreply 385October 27, 2021 12:45 AM

So you’re saying….got it.

by Anonymousreply 386October 29, 2021 2:21 PM

The thought police have been around the last 20 years

by Anonymousreply 387October 29, 2021 2:49 PM

"Looking at you, _______."

by Anonymousreply 388October 29, 2021 2:52 PM

Speaking of "you got this", I went out for dinner with my friend recently, and her mother's group were there and they were all, regularly telling each other: "you got this". I was trying not to laugh, thinking of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 389October 29, 2021 7:39 PM

Saying that something (not that funny) has just made you spit out your coffee, or snort it or blow it out your nose. First of all, I’ve never seen this happen in real life, although it does seem like something Julia Roberts would do, and secondly, it’s a disgusting image.

by Anonymousreply 390October 29, 2021 8:28 PM

All the usual GIFs: the spit-take coffee girl, the 70s Show woman laughing, the black guy tapping his forehead, the office guy going "whoa," Jennifer Lawrence going "yeah, right." But especially spit-take coffee girl. I still like "sure, Jan" and the guy snapping his lawn chair open.

by Anonymousreply 391October 29, 2021 8:58 PM

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 392November 1, 2021 4:04 PM

"Prayers from [country]🙏"

"Love from [country]❤️"

They make me ill.

by Anonymousreply 393November 1, 2021 4:06 PM

"Louder for the people in the back"

by Anonymousreply 394November 1, 2021 4:07 PM

"As a [combination of nationality/sex/gender/ethnicity/mental health issue/disability/etc.], [statement of opinion phrased as a statement of fact]."

"As a LatinX neuro-atypical queer writer, the traveling safely in that region is challenging."

by Anonymousreply 395November 1, 2021 4:09 PM

*traveling safely

by Anonymousreply 396November 1, 2021 4:10 PM

They said, "You got this!" to Brandi Lyn Heidemann as she lay in her ICU bed battling Covid, and even encouraged her to get up and do her exercise routine (she was in a drug-induced coma and on a ventilator).

by Anonymousreply 397November 1, 2021 4:13 PM

"You owe me a new keyboard."

by Anonymousreply 398November 1, 2021 4:14 PM

The horrible attention whore who writes 'Heartbroken' with a cry-y face and then says NOTHING else. She got BURNED on Friday when she did this and none of her suck-ass, so-called friends bothered to fall for the shit and ask her publicly what was wrong. Post was up for about 15 hours and no response. So she took it down. She popped up later in some ridiculous wedding pictures of her in a horrible Miss Piggy-pink dress, ugly tats all over her arms, looking bloated, like she hadn't taken a good shit in a week. Maybe she was heartbroken because she tried to shit and only farted, ha ha!!!

by Anonymousreply 399November 1, 2021 4:30 PM

'Prayers going up', as if they are on some kind of conveyor belt or catapult. Stupid shit.

by Anonymousreply 400November 1, 2021 4:31 PM

"[person/entity]: AM I A JOKE TO YOU?"

by Anonymousreply 401November 1, 2021 4:37 PM

Reacting to news of a celebrity death: "This one hurts."

Thank you for validating whatever sadness people may be feeling.

by Anonymousreply 402November 1, 2021 8:25 PM

[quote] How often do pies get dropped, so that people know what a dropped pie looks like?

This is something I can imagine. I don't need to see it actually happen.

by Anonymousreply 403November 1, 2021 8:36 PM

"____ be like ____"

"___ is bae"

by Anonymousreply 404November 2, 2021 8:25 PM

"So, this happened..."

by Anonymousreply 405November 2, 2021 9:15 PM

You love to see it. (What does that even mean?)

by Anonymousreply 406November 3, 2021 4:44 AM

"Everybody gangsta until __________."

(Fill in the blank with whatever happened in the video clip.)

by Anonymousreply 407November 3, 2021 5:01 PM

"S/he fucked around and found out."

First, it doesn't quite make sense. Second, it's said with such a tone of superiority.

by Anonymousreply 408November 3, 2021 7:33 PM

About last night

by Anonymousreply 409November 16, 2021 12:39 AM

So now people are using the word ‘not’ in the same way you would when you say something like “oh no, not this again.” For example, you might post a selfie where you’re eating an icecream and caption it “not me eating an icecream” perhaps because you literally can’t even deal with the situation being depicted.

Fucking lame

by Anonymousreply 410November 17, 2021 6:06 AM

Happy birthday to my spawn, so proud of the amazing young [whatever] you've become.

by Anonymousreply 411November 17, 2021 11:58 AM

Lately I see young people on social media deliberately replacing 'and' with 'an', as in 'Kylee an Jayden are getting married an I couldn't be more happy for them!!'

Really? You're too lazy to type out a 3 letter word, replacing it with a 2 letter word? Is this supposed to be cute or what?

by Anonymousreply 412November 17, 2021 5:17 PM

When there is a post that asks your favorite movie or something so you say yours and then someone comments saying how they don't like it. Okay? The post asked my favorite and I gave it. Who are you to tell me I'm wrong for liking what I like? List your own favorite then.

by Anonymousreply 413November 17, 2021 9:03 PM

All I can think of R413 is that regarding book reviews and discussions, I'll sometimes jump in to mention that I disliked a book that's relatively popular, but so that others might realize they're not the only one who didn't "get" it.

by Anonymousreply 414November 17, 2021 9:16 PM

I've stopped commenting publicly on any friends' public posts. Every time I get clever, one of their 'friends' requests me to connect to them; ten mutuals and we've never met? Nope. Plus, they're often meme regurgitators or politics concern trolls. Why 'friend' a total stranger, even if I agree with their POV?

by Anonymousreply 415November 17, 2021 10:00 PM

I feel = I have nothing substantive

I think = an indicator little if any was actually involved.

by Anonymousreply 416November 17, 2021 10:02 PM

[quote] How often do pies get dropped, so that people know what a dropped pie looks like?

I dropped a warm cinnamon roll on the kitchen floor this morning, cinnamon-gooey side down. It looked disgusting. It was a Jenny Craig cinnamon roll, so it was small, thank goodness. I imagine a pie looks even worse.

I ate it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 417November 20, 2021 5:53 PM

I love you, r417. You gave me a hearty and much needed laugh.

And you should know by now, they always fall to make the most mess. Bread with jelly on it? It’ll fall jelly-side down. It’s the universe’s way of getting back at us.

by Anonymousreply 418November 20, 2021 7:08 PM

[Quote] The animated GIF of the woman doing a spit-take in response to something only mildly amusing.

That gif isused sarcastically, ie, when some right wing nuisance makes some outrageous statement like "Donald Trump is the real president. He's meeting with top china guys at Maralago and making more kickass tariffs to break their balls! Donald's gonna have them on their knees begging for more ass kicking! "

That 's when that gif is used

by Anonymousreply 419November 24, 2021 3:25 AM

"I am still shaking!"

by Anonymousreply 420November 24, 2021 3:38 AM

Love you to the moon and back.

If I never hear 'Die in a grease fire again', it will be too soon.

I so agree with the poster upthread who mentioned giving lavish compliments to people whose looks are surely not their strongest selling point. Whatever else they may be, gorgeous, beautiful, stunning they are not.

by Anonymousreply 421November 24, 2021 9:29 AM

Ooh, I was just reminded of one while reading a discussion online.

Sometimes when people are discussing a controversial issue someone will genuinely ask a "can someone explain what the issue is here, because to me this doesn't seem so bad" or similar, and there is a type of response that always starts:

"Assuming you're seriously asking this..." It always annoys me because it's kinda obnoxious and claiming they have a higher ground on this issue, and they will now explain the truth (which is really just their opinion).

by Anonymousreply 422November 24, 2021 6:22 PM

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes." One of those phrases that was kind of fun when it was new, but now makes you want to smack those who post it, thinking they're so clever.

by Anonymousreply 423November 24, 2021 9:08 PM

Instagram is annoying on holidays like today. It’s all #grateful #thankful #gratitude ….bah, humbug!

by Anonymousreply 424November 25, 2021 5:30 PM

It me

by Anonymousreply 425November 25, 2021 5:32 PM

Op contradicted herself in her own post. "THIS" does mean someone agrees.

by Anonymousreply 426November 25, 2021 5:46 PM

“We’re losing our democracy!”

by Anonymousreply 427November 25, 2021 6:53 PM

An annoying one I've been seeing today is "If you celebrate Thanksgiving, you're celebrating mass genocide and the slaughter of Native Americans!" Give me a break.

99% of people don't give it any thought beyond the tradition of getting together with their family and having a big meal with turkey as the main course. They don't know or care about the history so they aren't thinking about it and therefore aren't celebrating that. People just like to suck the fun out of everything and won't be happy until everyone is as miserable as they are.

by Anonymousreply 428November 26, 2021 3:59 AM

"Let's go!" or "LFG!"

by Anonymousreply 429November 26, 2021 11:27 AM

This was more a thing in newsgroups and messageboards 15-20 years ago, but people responding “Bzzzt! No. But thanks for playing” was not only incredibly rude but incredibly pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 430November 26, 2021 11:36 AM

"I'll wait" after issuing one of those "difficult" Facebook challenges that would challenge only the stupidest among us. Equally annoying, after issuing the challenge: "Go!" Or issuing some obviously false assertion and saying, "Prove me wrong!"

by Anonymousreply 431November 26, 2021 6:57 PM

That robot voice on TikTok videos that sounds like a stupid Asian girl

by Anonymousreply 432November 27, 2021 3:04 AM

OP, our advice for you is less sativa and more indica.

by Anonymousreply 433November 27, 2021 3:11 AM

Seeing this lately: "iPhone photo dump," which translates into "look, more pictures of me."

by Anonymousreply 434November 30, 2021 2:48 AM

# (insert whatever) life

by Anonymousreply 435November 30, 2021 2:52 AM

R435 It's "lyfe." At least according to my frau cousin's posts.

by Anonymousreply 436November 30, 2021 2:53 AM

I’m so sorry this is happening to you,

by Anonymousreply 437November 30, 2021 4:53 AM

What's wrong with that, R437? People appreciate some acknowledgement and expression of sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 438November 30, 2021 5:56 AM

It's not literal, R438. On Twitter, it's a popular reply to anyone who posts any type of complaint, particularly as it relates to politics.

by Anonymousreply 439November 30, 2021 12:37 PM

You must be fun at parties.

by Anonymousreply 440December 17, 2021 1:06 AM

"Asking for a friend".

You're asking for yourself, you moron.

by Anonymousreply 441December 17, 2021 1:39 AM

Y'all sound like a group of 'mean girls' in high school. I've seen many of these words and phrases used here on DL and have been amused when they are sometimes used in a sarcastic way or as an 'in-joke'. 'Sure Jan' and 'Dead to me' just seem like typical DLisms. People here on DL are savvy enough to realize these terms are often used in a sarcastic way or to include those who are aware of the inaneness of the phrases. Just my two cents... 😉😉

by Anonymousreply 442December 17, 2021 3:19 AM

Sure Jan, dead to me, and I think she’s tremendous never get old for some reason, always funny. I also like Mary! and how very dare you, in moderation. DIAGF is gruesome but sometimes funny. Stinky pussy, good.

by Anonymousreply 443December 17, 2021 4:53 AM

"You are so dumb."

Someone on this board keeps saying that on various threads (when disagreed with), and it sounds.....so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 444December 19, 2021 5:12 PM

Interesting how many of these are DL-related.

Do youse guys consider Data Lounge to be social media? I don't, but maybe I should. It's certainly mean enough.

by Anonymousreply 445December 19, 2021 5:17 PM

Not an expression, per se, but when someone asks for recommendations for service providers on FB and then ends the inquiry with, 'And ... GO!' No 'please' or 'thank you'. Just a terse order to get busy fulfilling the asking ass hole's demands. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 446December 23, 2021 2:00 PM

What is this "Merry Chrysler" shit I'm seeing everywhere? It isn't funny or cute. I would add it to the list.

by Anonymousreply 447December 25, 2021 3:09 PM

"Seek help." In other words, usually, "I dislike your opinion."

by Anonymousreply 448December 26, 2021 11:55 PM

Any reply that begins with "So you....." and ends with "Got it."

by Anonymousreply 449December 27, 2021 2:09 PM

Good one, R448. Seen that here many times.

Another one, "haters gonna hate". FFS, grow up! You're not a 14 year old girl.

by Anonymousreply 450December 27, 2021 2:12 PM

All these retorts were funny the first time, granted.

by Anonymousreply 451December 27, 2021 2:16 PM

That whatever was “everything”. Language has become void of proper meaning. It’s all hyperbole.

by Anonymousreply 452December 27, 2021 2:21 PM

Can we retire, "I'm this old," with the picture of your grandma's living room furniture, or whatever other old thing?

by Anonymousreply 453December 27, 2021 4:24 PM

If I see someone write, 'So, I did a thing . . . ' I am personally going to hunt them down and feed them through a wood-chipper, head first.

by Anonymousreply 454January 2, 2022 5:10 PM

"This you?"

Usually when someone's gone through a person's tweets and has found one from 2012 that slightly contradicts a point they're making in 2022.

by Anonymousreply 455January 2, 2022 5:38 PM

When people add extra e's to the end of a word, in a way that makes zero sense. "LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS!" Lovey?

by Anonymousreply 456January 26, 2022 10:55 PM

Rapey

by Anonymousreply 457January 26, 2022 10:59 PM

"abs" instead of "and". When I first saw this I thought it was a typo, but apparently people are doing it on purpose. What's the point? Do they think it's cute?

by Anonymousreply 458January 27, 2022 6:26 PM

R458 Maybe I'm wrong but I think people say that when they mis-type "and" as "ans" - because the s and d are next to each other - that autocorrect corrects ans to "abs". So maybe this is how it started (?)

Normally "abs" would be short for "absolutely".

by Anonymousreply 459January 28, 2022 9:16 AM

Karma is a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 460February 20, 2022 4:28 PM

!!!!

by Anonymousreply 461February 20, 2022 4:30 PM

"and .... GO!" This is ALL OVER my homeowner association (emphasis on 'ass') site when someone is so fucking fat and lazy they can't do their own research to find a service provider. They pose the question to the 'hive mind': no 'please' or 'thank you' in advance. I just mutter 'fuck you' and delete the request. Adults don't need to be treated like kindergarteners at recess.

by Anonymousreply 462February 20, 2022 4:52 PM

My fucking jabber-jaw/over-explaining ZOOM yoga teacher (actually, I just dropped her turgid class) ALWAYS has to screetch, 'YOU GOT THIS!' at the least little thing that requires exertion. She makes us feel like we're all 90 years old and have never attempted a forward fold. I'm not a DAY over 89, but often get told I look 80! Life is good!

by Anonymousreply 463February 20, 2022 4:56 PM

Every frau where I live has to respond to FB posts about break-ins or other negative things with, 'That stinks!' or pictures of kids are universally greeting with, 'He/she/it/they/ is so STINKIN' cute. We know what really stinks on these idiots. If you're not sure, ask Cheryl!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 464February 20, 2022 4:59 PM

People who answer posts or tweets with "Indeed" are annoying to me.

Also women who refer to "hubby" or "hubs"

by Anonymousreply 465February 21, 2022 4:56 AM

People who copy other people's responses (nearly) verbatim.

by Anonymousreply 466February 21, 2022 1:36 PM

About last night

by Anonymousreply 467February 21, 2022 10:03 PM

'My food' : accompanied by a pic of some regurgitated-looking glop they either just cooked, ordered at a restuaurant ... or threw up. Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 468February 24, 2022 6:53 PM

"This is the way."

Or

"This is the way right here."

Or

"This right here is the way."

Every fucking thread on Reddit.

by Anonymousreply 469February 24, 2022 7:12 PM

Pretty sick of "I stand with" this one or that one.

by Anonymousreply 470February 27, 2022 1:54 PM

I hate everything!

by Anonymousreply 471February 27, 2022 11:00 PM

Do some research!

by Anonymousreply 472March 17, 2022 9:32 PM

The Ukrainian flag as an avatar.

by Anonymousreply 473March 18, 2022 3:47 PM

Brush your teeth twice a day or they will rot.

by Anonymousreply 474March 18, 2022 3:59 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475March 18, 2022 4:29 PM

R473 I don't do that sort of thing, so I always wonder, how do people decide when it's time to quietly ditch the flag or the hashtag from their bio?

by Anonymousreply 476March 18, 2022 4:30 PM

Peter Schiff@PeterSchiff

[quote]I understand times are hard, but doesn't the President of the #Ukraine own a suit? I don't have much respect for current members of the U.S. Congress either, but I still wouldn't address them wearing a t-shirt. I wouldn't want to disrespect the institution or the Unites States.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477March 18, 2022 4:35 PM

"But you be you." (Thanks, glad I have your permission!)

by Anonymousreply 478March 18, 2022 5:20 PM

Should ops subject line have commas? It's 3 am and I can't sleep knowing there are grammar mistakes in this thread

by Anonymousreply 479March 19, 2022 9:01 AM

Ok, here's one I've noticed over the years from two different fraus I know and follow on Instagram (I say frau because their social media behavior is very stereotypically cornball). They don't know each other at all, but both happen to be publicists. They post pictures of random pets they encounter on walks or at someone's home. The caption goes something like: "Please meet Fluffy, she is a very good girl" or "Please enjoy this pic of this handsome boy, whose name is Rover. You're welcome!" I've also seen random women do this on Twitter many times.

Anyone else run across that? What's up with it? A frau thing? A publicist thing?

by Anonymousreply 480May 8, 2022 6:30 PM

"So freaking ____!"

by Anonymousreply 481May 8, 2022 7:44 PM

"This wins the internet," especially in response to some mundane or totally expected comment like "Fuck Putin!"

Closely related to "Thread. Closed." or its variant, "/thread."

by Anonymousreply 482May 8, 2022 7:48 PM

LOL, or worse, "hehe," used totally inappropriately.

Stuff like, "I was putting the baby to bed and hubby was really drunk LOL so I was like 'I'll make you dinner when the baby's asleep' and he got all mad hehe and he was like 'fuck you bitch' and he hit me so hard and my nose and mouth were dripping blood hehe so now I have to soak the baby's onesie to get the blood out LOL"

by Anonymousreply 483May 8, 2022 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!