Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Killing Moon, Echo & the Bunnymen

So, I know this is a song probably everyone knows. I have heard of the band vaguely, but only heard this song last week for the first time.

I really like it, but also it's like suddenly everything clicked into place as a 90s child listening to alternative music (ahem, Radiohead). It was like: "Oh, I see now!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 2:38 PM

Listening to it right now.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2021 9:21 PM

I got really into this song a few months ago. I heard it on an episode of Billions. It seemed like a recent song, not an oldie from 1984.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2021 9:29 PM

That's a good point, R2. It doesn't sound 80s at all. When I first heard it I thought it could've been from any time in the 90s to now.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2021 9:36 PM

This is the version I always think of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 9:44 PM

This was the only Bunnymen song I ever actually liked. They really gave the Smiths a run for their money with this one. (In fact - I stand corrected - they were ahead of the Smiths with this masterpiece. "Killing Moon" was released on January 20, 1984, and the Smiths self-titled debut album, which had not yet achieved the turgid/romantic sounds that Morrissey/Marr eventually embraced, came out exactly one month later, on February 20, 1984).

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2021 9:50 PM

I've never heard of any other songs of theirs. If this is the only good one, well that's ok as it's a great one, but I'd be interested if anyone has any other songs of theirs they like, that they might recommend.

I've never been able to get into Nouvelle Vague, they seem like a novelty that pushed it too far... but I don't say this to be mean, I would be very interested in being proved wrong (I always am with music, you can never have too much of it in your life).

by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2021 9:57 PM

This is one of my favorite songs ever. It's beautiful and utterly haunting. Ian McCulloch's voice just melts me. I'm also a big fan of their debut album, "Crocodiles".

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2021 10:03 PM

This song is like mainlining melancholia and breaks my heart every time I listen to it. Some of the phrases are just so perfect: “fate, up against your will,” “Your sky, all hung with jewels,” “The killing time, unwillingly mine,” but a few. And it blends so perfectly with one of my favorites films, Donnie Darko. In the original release it opens the film with Donnie awaking after sleep walking (or really sleep bike riding) and perfectly introduces his whole family and sets the mood for the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2021 10:18 PM

Wait, I've seen Donnie Darko, a couple of times! How is it I didn't know about this song before now? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2021 10:20 PM

In the director’s cut of Donnie Darko it appears in the Halloween party scene as the premonition to all that’s about to happen as the runaway train of the climax begins, and is just as effective and heartbreaking. If anything the song itself serves perfectly as a complete theme for the whole movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2021 10:22 PM

I need to watch it again. As I said, I've seen it a couple of times, but I remember very little about it. A creepy rabbit, Jake Gyllenhaal nearly masturbating under hypnosis and Drew Barrymore screaming at the sky.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2021 10:24 PM

Echo & The Bunnymen were on my heavy rotation playlist back in the day. The Killing Moon, Lips Like Sugar, The Cutter, Bedbugs and Ballyhoo, Bring on the Dancing Horses, etc. Those were the days!

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2021 10:30 PM

This is a good article about its origins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2021 10:33 PM

"The Killing Moon" is a great song. So is "The Killing Jar" by Siouxsie and the Banshees.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2021 10:35 PM

In my mind I always pair it with The Church’s Under the Milkyway, itself very melancholy and celestial in name. It was also used in the Donnie Darko original release where Killing Moon ended up in the director’s cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2021 10:38 PM

^Ahh this explains why I wasn't aware of "The Killing Moon", the version I saw definitely had "Under the Milky Way"

by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2021 10:40 PM

I was having a dream about shelves of poetry books, I’m a librarian, so not as weird as it sounds, but in the dream I was making up titles about all these poetry books and collections as the dream went on. It was a somewhat long dream, cycling back and forth in time as they do, but when I finally awoke the last book of poems was called “The Killing Moon” and I needed to hear the song right a way. It’s the home stretch of Halloween, which this song evokes, so that’s perfect too.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2021 1:03 PM

Love this song. Should have been a bigger hit. Mid 80's alterna pop/rock was the shit. Talk talk is another band in a similar vein that I love.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2021 1:09 PM

This is such a brilliant song. Instantly takes me back to the time but still sounds modern with haunting lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2021 1:14 PM

You've never heard this song?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2021 2:05 PM

It was used in Gia too when she walks out on a modelling shoot to get drugs. I thought it was used quite effectively.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2021 2:09 PM

I second or third “Bring on the Dancing Horses” and also like “Nothing Lasts Forever” by them.

I heard these thanks to asking Spotify to make me a radio station based on Roxy Music.

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2021 2:10 PM

"Lips Like Sugar," and "Rescue" are also great songs.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote] I heard these thanks to asking Spotify to make me a radio station based on Roxy Music.

If you don’t mind me asking. How old are you?

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2021 2:14 PM

R24 I’m 36. So I was in middle school for grunge, and by the time I hit high school everything was bubblegum pop. I stumbled across Jesus & Mary Chain in college thanks to Lost in Translation, but then got diverted into a long Laurel Canyon phase. I listened to a lot of glam rock during lockdown and have been exploring 70s/80s UK music since then.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2021 2:18 PM

Eclectic like me. I’m 36 also.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2021 2:20 PM

R36 One of the silver linings of living in the algorithm age!

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2021 2:23 PM

I only got into the bunnymen in 1987 when they released their last album as the original quartet. They broke up in 88 and Pete de frietas, the drummer, died in 89. I missed their heyday when they released their 1st 4 albums. It is only in the last 3 or 4 years that I have really gotten into all their 80s albums and have a newfound appreciation for them.

The killing moon is a great song but it is one of those songs that I really have to be in the mood for. It has such a melodrama vibe to it and that is not a feeling I usually want to deal with. But as previous posts have mentioned, it really is the perfect blend of lyrics, music and atmosphere. Mcculloch always gangs on about how it is best song ever.

My favorite bunnymen song is probably the cutter. Ocean rain is actually my favorite song off of the album rather tkm. Stars are stars, my kingdom, heads will roll, back if love, etc. Just listen to their 1st 4 albums, so many great songs. Caveat that sometimes the album cuts can be hard to get through. It took me a long time to love heaven up here.

Lastly a plug for Ian mcculloch's first solo album, candleland. If you can get your hands on the version with b sides, even better.

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2021 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!