Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends; crank up your Gap in-store playlists and shell out a mere $100 mill for the Fisher mansion

If you have $100 million to spare, the right property just hit the market.

An 8-acre property in Atherton that for years has been the summer estate of the Fisher family, founders of the Gap retail and clothing chain, is now on offer through Compass Real Estate.

The residence at 170 Atherton Ave. includes two homes and a sculpture garden in the most expensive ZIP code in the country — 94027.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 7:33 PM

Here's the listing if you can't behind THE PAYWALL that OP so helpfully provided.

It's absurdly a home like this should list for a price like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 7:02 PM

Wow.

I worked at their home in Connecticut waitering a dinner for Doris and Don Fisher once in 1992. They were a trip, but in a nice way. Mr. Fisher was your basic 60ish Jewish billionaire with a common touch, friendly, guarded but a nice host, just what you'd think. The home was not overly grand, almost an enlarged farm-style home nestled among the trees. It was very nice and homey, I thought it was lovely, not fussy at all. Then there was the art....and Doris Fisher!

Doris (who I think is a cancer survivor) gives "the common touch" new meaning. A prettyish middle aged Jewish woman with a New York accent right off the Grand Concourse and a daffy way with words, I liked her instantly! She asked me to follow the guests with a tray of champagne while she gave them an "art tour" of the house, "and have some yourself!" Ok, plus I wanted to see the art. First stop in the living room, a massive center section of a Monet water lilies....damn. Strewn about the house in the oddest places were a Degas sculpture (the ballerina), all the major impressionists and even a Picasso, which Doris informed us all was from his "Flimsical period"(!) She had an interested layman's grasp of the collection, but showed it to us with great enthusiasm in her paint thinner voice. There were many canvases not hung on the walls yet and some were just leaning against the washer and dryer in the laundry room!

The guests were a hodgepodge on nefarious international creeps like Dewi Sukarno, and Princess Diana's stepmother Raine Spencer among others, I forget, but the head of a movie studio was there too! I assumed they were Republicans which does seem to be the case. They were exceptionally pleasant, paid well in cash and I loved the art tour. I only met them the one time, but it was an indelible experience!

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!