Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

William Shatner

He's going to live to be over 100 years old, isn't he?

The guy still looks and acts like he's in his late 70's and early 80's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 5:49 AM

He still looks fantastic.

I think that both Shatner and Sulu will live to be over 100.

Heck, even Nichelle Nichols is still alive at 88, although not doing so great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 6:18 PM

Careful, OP. Every time someone posts a comment like that, the celebrity dies two days later.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 6:19 PM

[Quote] Careful, OP. Every time someone posts a comment like that, the celebrity dies two days later.

Trump's going to live to be over 100 years old, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 6:21 PM

I kind of love William Shatner. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 6:22 PM

Shatner is VERY spry for 90 years old, R2.

Barring some unforseen health condition, his type has longevity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 6:22 PM

I'm watching the video at R5, and even his skin still looks good. Nowhere near what you would expect the skin of a 90 year old to look like.

And his clothes! He dresses well, too.

I'm starting to think that living long really is all about your state of mind.

Shatner looks young, because he THINKS young.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 6:24 PM

Apparently no one has told Shatner that celebrity impersonations are verbal caricatures. Exaggerations of specific things about the person being impersonated.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 6:25 PM

Agree, OP, he looks amazing for 90, and seems to have a lot of energy. In that video, if I didn't know who he was I would think he was about 65 years old.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 6:30 PM

I know he's supposedly a huge asshole but I, too, like him for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 6:33 PM

90 is the new 70.

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 6:36 PM

He doth protests a bit too much and comes off looking thin-skinned and a tad resentful, like he's filing away every slight.

by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 6:51 PM

I don't think so, R11.

I think that he's genuinely baffled by how people portray him.

I believe that Shatner doesn't really see himself that way. He might very well be completely delusional about himself.

That said, I'm genuinely curious how he DOES see himself.

He has often commented on how people parody his mannerisms, but if he disagrees with how they portray him, then how does he really see himself? I'm guessing as some sort of "hero thespian" serious actor type.

by Anonymousreply 12September 17, 2021 6:54 PM

He's playing along. Did you even watch the video? He's giving crap to the person filming it the whole time. He's having fun with it.

by Anonymousreply 13September 17, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote]He might very well be completely delusional about himself.

Not really, because he gave the radio guy credit for nailing that his jerky speech patterns were due to struggling to remember his lines.

by Anonymousreply 14September 17, 2021 7:01 PM

That was funny to watch and he really does look incredible for 90. Of course he was playing along, it’s very flattering to have umpteen famous actors/celebrities imitating your iconic role fifty years later. I thought Kevin Pollack was best.

by Anonymousreply 15September 17, 2021 7:11 PM

He was quite muscular in Star Trek. I heard he and Lee Majors were both up for the Six Million Dollar Man TV show. It would have been interesting to see Shatner's take on it. He was quite bigger and stronger than Majors.

by Anonymousreply 16September 17, 2021 7:24 PM

Bill had a very tasteful facelift about 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 17September 17, 2021 7:25 PM

Stem cell treatment.

I thought he had had a liver transplant, but no, I think that was Larry Hagman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 17, 2021 7:28 PM

Bill was really hot back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 19September 17, 2021 7:28 PM

I remember an old interview with Howard Stern, back in the E! channel days. IIRC, Howard went in on Shatner, accusing him of wearing a wig, saying that he (Stern) wanted to do a "rug tug challenge" on Shatner's hair, etc. Not sure why Shatner just sat there and took the abuse.

by Anonymousreply 20September 17, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote] Bill had a very tasteful facelift about 20 years ago.

Sure, Jan.

We've seen him age through the years, and he's all natural.

Just because YOU look like Jocelyn Wildenstein, doesn't mean that everyone else in the world has had some work done.

Some people prefer to age gracefully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 17, 2021 7:33 PM

“I know he's supposedly a huge asshole”

Ream me up, Scotty.

by Anonymousreply 22September 17, 2021 7:44 PM

He always specifies on his TW page that he's the father of three women, sometimes listing them by name, as if he's been fighting paternity lawsuits in real life, not just as the fictional Captain Kirk (e.g. Bastards of Kirk).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 17, 2021 8:35 PM

One of my brother's former high school classmates is a professional Shatner impersonator. He did get to meet Shatner, who was polite to him.

The guy has earned enough impersonating Shatner to have quit his corporate job in his 40s. He's been doing this for the past thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 24September 17, 2021 9:54 PM

I remember when Shatner's wife was dead in their swimming pool. He was interviewed on the news, right after he found her dead. I found his demeanor and way of talking really odd. But he was never charged with foul play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 17, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote] the father of three women

That seems odd. Most people would say "daughters" or "girls", no matter what the age.

by Anonymousreply 26September 17, 2021 10:56 PM

Girls probably seems stupid since they are probably in their 60s.

by Anonymousreply 27September 17, 2021 11:00 PM

It is odd to say "women" instead of "daughters." Ryan O'Neal, at Farrah's funeral, couldn't even recognize Tatum and tried to pick her up (as in go somewhere to drink and fuck).

by Anonymousreply 28September 17, 2021 11:04 PM

The only one he praised was Bruce Campbell. I don't think he considers the others to be real actors.

by Anonymousreply 29September 17, 2021 11:41 PM

You have to remember, he was exceptionally good looking as a young man. That helps.

by Anonymousreply 30September 17, 2021 11:54 PM

I miss the others. i wish they were still alive. ☹️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 18, 2021 12:00 AM

Me too.

by Anonymousreply 32September 18, 2021 1:33 AM

R24, the husband of one of my high school classmates is a Barry Manilow impersonator. You wouldn’t think there was much demand for that.

by Anonymousreply 33September 18, 2021 2:22 AM

Did he really kill his first wife?

by Anonymousreply 34September 18, 2021 6:28 PM

His very recent pic at FanExpo in Dallas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 18, 2021 7:13 PM

Quinto, at the same convention.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 18, 2021 7:15 PM

i recently posted a story about my partner and I attending his 60th birthday party as guests of his daughter, who was one of my partner's best friends. The party was at her house and there were around 40 guests. I can post it again.

by Anonymousreply 37September 18, 2021 7:22 PM

I was wrong it was his daughter Leslie's birthday.... but it was long ago around 1991. The food was incredible. Although we had been warned not to talk to him unless he spoke to us, he went around behind the tables and introduced himself and grabbed our shoulders and massaged them. There were long tables against the wall and he had to squeeze himself behind them to greet everybody. We sat far away from us. We were sitting with a woman and a man guests who were characters at Disneyland. She played Snow White. We are told NOT to say anything about Star Trek or ask and questions about him in the series. When we had too much to drink Snow White and her boyfriend started joking around saying things like "Beam me up Scotty" so he could hear us. Snow White did it with her voice, which was extra funny. Shatner complained about us the next day for being rude and having ignored him all evening. I guess he hadn't heard it.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 7:47 PM

Wow, he looks fantastic at R35.

He looks very healthy.

by Anonymousreply 39September 18, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote] He's going to live to be over 100 years old, isn't he?

Yes he is.

What good sense in picking a project can do for a career. Or luck.

by Anonymousreply 40September 18, 2021 7:49 PM

William Shatner is the new Olivia DeHavilland.

by Anonymousreply 41September 18, 2021 7:55 PM

Although Shatner has frequently been described as an asshole I've never disliked him. Maybe because he seems to accept that view of him: "Yeah, I'm an asshole, so what?" That seems to be his attitude.

by Anonymousreply 42September 18, 2021 8:04 PM

R38 Wait, what? You weren't allowed to speak to Shitner unless he spoke to you first, but he never spoke to you so you were accused of being rude for ignoring him?

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 8:57 PM

Next week Captain James T. Kirk will be going into the Final Frontier, for real!

At 90 he'll be the oldest person ever to travel to space.

CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA. -- Captain Kirk is rocketing into space next week -- boldly going where no other sci-fi actors have gone.

Jeff Bezos' space travel company, Blue Origin, announced Monday that "Star Trek" actor William Shatner will blast off from West Texas on Oct. 12.

"Yes, it's true; I'm going to be a 'rocket man!"' the 90-year-old tweeted. He added: "It's never too late to experience new things."

Bezos, the founder of Amazon, is a huge fan of the sci-fi series and even had a cameo as a high-ranking alien in the 2016 film "Star Trek Beyond." His rocket company invited Shatner to fly as its guest.

Shatner will become the oldest person to go to space. He'll join three others -- two of them paying customers -- aboard a Blue Origin capsule. He would have been the first actor in space if Russia weren't launching an actress and a film director to the International Space Station on Tuesday for almost two weeks of moviemaking.

Shatner's flight, by comparison, will last just 10 minutes and reach no higher than about 66 miles (106 kilometres). The capsule will parachute back to the desert floor, not far from where it took off.

With flights short or long, space tourism is picking up steam fast.

Virgin Galactic carried founder Richard Branson to the edge of space with five others in July, followed nine days later by Bezos' space hop. Elon Musk's SpaceX, meanwhile, launched its first private crew last month -- a Pennsylvania entrepreneur who bought the three-day flight and took along two contest winners and a cancer survivor.

Virgin Galactic's ship launches from an airplane and requires two pilots. Blue Origin and SpaceX's capsules are fully automated, but the passengers must pass medical screenings and, among other things, be able to quickly climb several flights of steps at the launch tower to get to the capsule -- or out of it in an emergency.

This will be Blue Origin's second launch of a crew.

Bezos was on the debut flight on July 20. He took along his brother, an 18-year-old from the Netherlands and 82-year-old aviation pioneer Wally Funk -- the youngest and oldest to fly in space. Shatner will break that upper threshold by eight years.

"I've heard about space for a long time now. I'm taking the opportunity to see it for myself. What a miracle," Shatner said in a statement.

Shatner played the role of the USS Starship Enterprise's commander for three seasons, from 1966 to 1969. He also portrayed Captain Kirk in seven movies, directing one of them. He's currently the host and executive producer of a History Channel show, "The UnXplained."

Also flying with Shatner: a former NASA engineer who founded a nanosatellite company and the co-founder of a software company specializing in clinical research. The two took part in the auction for a seat on the first flight. That seat cost $28 million; Blue Origin isn't divulging any other ticket prices.

A fourth seat on the flight is going to Blue Origin's vice president of mission and flight operations.

Last week, more than 20 current and former Blue Origin employees accused the Kent, Washington-based company of having a toxic work environment and not adhering to proper safety protocols. Blue Origin said it doesn't tolerate harassment or discrimination and stood by its safety record.

Bezos' company is also challenging a NASA contract award to SpaceX for providing a lunar lander that will return astronauts to the moon in a few years. Blue Origin was unsuccessful in its bid for the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 4, 2021 6:02 PM

Nimoy was hawter.

by Anonymousreply 45October 4, 2021 6:09 PM

This is the space travel equivalent of stunt casting.

by Anonymousreply 46October 4, 2021 6:09 PM

It must be his fat keeping him youthful. Incredible.

by Anonymousreply 47October 4, 2021 6:15 PM

Good for him.

He was quite hot when young. And in his book, he described being hit on by gay guys (and some partaking) when he was a young actor in NYC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 4, 2021 6:37 PM

Nimoy starred in and helped fund a movie of a Jean Genet play when young with hot gay action. More gay than Shatner.

by Anonymousreply 49October 4, 2021 8:07 PM

Wow, that's very cool at R44!!

[quote] He was quite hot when young. And in his book, he described being hit on by gay guys (and some partaking) when he was a young actor in NYC

What do you mean "some partaking?"

Do you mean that he went bi with other men, a few times?

Also, is there a link to this information? I'd love to read it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 4, 2021 8:12 PM

He deserves to live to one hundred, as much as he deserved any kind of career beyond "Star Trek".

So, he probably will.

by Anonymousreply 51October 4, 2021 8:27 PM

He's trying to be a good sport about it but you just know he's seething inside.

by Anonymousreply 52October 4, 2021 10:01 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 12:34 PM

See, this and the Queen Mother are why I don't quit drinking.

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2021 12:58 PM

I liked Shatner a lot and when I was still a writer I published an article about him, that happened to get mentioned in an interview he did that was published two weeks later. I emailed the interviewer and said thanks, and learned that Shatner was an absolute asshole, behaving in a way to his then-wife that sounded like the kind of abusive nature some people with dementia can get. I guess it wasn't dementia because it was a long time ago and he's still going.

Then he hired a guy who had been a Z-grade movie producer I vaguely knew, only because he'd been a real piece of shit to me on Twitter when trying to get me to review some shitty movie called Panman. It's rumored that producer is the guy behind his Twitter account, and Shatner used to say that someone else handled his social media, which I know for at least a while was his wife. Nowadays he says it's all him, but I'm not sure it's not the asshole producer, especially the slightly scammy crypto tweets.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2021 1:08 PM

Back when I was still into reality shows I watched one of his, absolutely do not remember the name of it, which lasted just a few episodes. I remember he'd gone into his daughter's hospital room with a camera and filmed even after she told him he wasn't allowed to, then spoke to the camera about it instead of showing the footage, basically saying she was being irritating.

He did the same thing with filming Nimoy without permission, which is why Nimoy cut him off.

by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2021 1:20 PM

Shatner's an egotistical nut. He always was.

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2021 11:55 PM

R55 Indeed. The asshole producer who runs Shitner's Twitter...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 15, 2021 3:56 AM

He had the most incredible career turnaround in showbiz history. I remember seeing him on cheesy game shows in the early 70s:

"After the cancellation of Star Trek in early 1969, Shatner experienced difficulty in finding work in the early 1970s, having become somewhat typecast from his role as Kirk. With very little money and few acting prospects, Shatner lost his home and lived in a truck-bed camper in the San Fernando Valley until small roles turned into higher-paying jobs. Shatner refers to this part of his life as "that period", a humbling time during which he would take any odd job, including small party appearances, to support his family."

by Anonymousreply 59October 16, 2021 5:24 AM

My baby sister went to his daughters 10th birthday party in Cheviot Hills. He showed the movie Captain January . Sis said her mother was young, gorgeous and cried a lot . First marriage . RIP

by Anonymousreply 60October 16, 2021 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!