Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Election (the novel) getting a sequel next summer! Author hopes Reese will play role again

Tracy Flick came back to haunt Tom Perrotta in the best way possible. The author of Election, which became a cult-classic film starring Reese Witherspoon as the ambitious student body president candidate, was simply working on a new book set in a high school when he realized it would be a perfect avenue to bring back his most iconic character.

Indeed, the book almost demanded it. "As I started to write it, I kept wanting it to be in the form that Election was in, with multiple narrators," says Perrotta, who also penned such best-sellers as Mrs. Fletcher and Little Children. "I was thinking, 'Why am I doing this? I don't want to copy myself; I want to do something new.' And I suddenly realized that the novel needed something else. I was basically summoning Tracy to help me write this book, because she was at the center of all these ideas [I was dealing with] about high school and fame and small-town politics."

The result is Tracy Flick Can't Win, which will be published June 7, 2022, from Scribner. (Get an exclusive look at the cover, designed by Jonathan Bush, below.) The new novel finds a middle-aged Tracy as a hard-working assistant principal at a suburban New Jersey high school. She's struggling with disappointment in the way her life has turned out when an opportunity for a promotion suddenly arises. It's a knowingly "counterintuitive" approach to Tracy, as Perrotta puts it, and a new twist on the ruthlessly driven character we met in Election.

"People think of her as a person of unstoppable ambition, and she's often compared to almost any successful female politician, from Hillary Clinton to Sarah Palin," the author says. "But over all these years, I've run into women who say, 'I was Tracy Flick,' and they are not famous politicians. They're just ordinary women who clearly had this drive to succeed when they were in high school, but then found themselves in much more ordinary circumstances. I was really interested in that. It's fascinating to plumb the psychology of ambitious people who have to put their ambitions aside."

The passage of time hasn't just transformed the Tracy in the novel. In the 20-plus years since Election's film adaptation hit screens, Tracy Flick has taken on a life of her own in popular culture, largely powered by Witherspoon's indelible performance. (Even Perrotta admits he "can't think about Tracy without picturing Reese Witherspoon now.")

"It's been a very interesting challenge for me as a writer to reimagine a character who, in some sense, I lost control of," the author says with a laugh. "I very much drew on everything that was in the original book, but I think it was also enriched by Reese's performance, and by the way that the culture has been reinterpreting Tracy through a more feminist lens in recent years."

----

And is it too late for Witherspoon to step back into the role? "That would be amazing," Perrotta says, laughing. "I think it's such a rich psychological challenge for an actor to think about how we change as we enter middle age and what connections we have with the person we were then."

Incidentally, he's already sent the actress, and Election director Alexander Payne, copies of the Tracy Flick Can't Win manuscript: "I just felt like Tracy is a shared property of all the people who worked on the movie," Perrotta says. "I'm waiting to hear [their response]."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2024 7:21 PM

I hope Reese will play the role she was born for; a Christian frau Karen soccer mom living in suburbia in a flyover state..

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 4:00 AM

Story details on the publisher website

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 4:02 AM

R2 sounds like a snooze fest.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 4:22 AM

I'm available!! In case anyone was wondering...

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 10:57 AM

Did anyone read the book yet?

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2022 12:44 AM

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2022 12:45 AM

[quote]a Christian frau Karen soccer mom living in suburbia in a flyover state..

R1 No, no, she has to be living in DC either married to a senator or she herself is a senator.

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2022 1:23 AM

R5 Yes, I read the book and I understand why Tom Perotta is interested in the opinions of the people originally involved in the film. The transition from page to film was spot on.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2022 1:27 AM

It’s FLICK

by Anonymousreply 9June 13, 2022 6:26 AM

I thought it was the movie sequel at first so I went to youtube to look for a trailer. What I did find was the alternate ending, which I had never seen. In the original ending, they show how poor Tracy is and her little house is in the shadows of Paul Metzler's dad's cement factory. It's sweet, but I like the biting theatrical release much better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 13, 2022 6:37 AM

Tracy as assistant Principal? I thought she'd be a Hill Clinton type.

by Anonymousreply 11June 13, 2022 7:03 AM

I have a hard time believing Tracy Flick would wind up as just some frau high school principle. The character, as written, was ruthless and wouldn't settle for anything less than a high profile career of some sort.

I've met insanely ambitious people like Tracy and they always go on to highly successful careers. They find a way. Whether they are truly happy in their lives...that's another question entirely...but they all managed to reach the top of their fields.

Sounds like Perrotta is just going back to the well.

by Anonymousreply 12June 13, 2022 7:06 AM

Any other spoilers from the novel? I too am surprised she ended up as an assistant Principal

by Anonymousreply 13July 17, 2022 8:40 PM

Who cares about this stupid Election sequel?

by Anonymousreply 14July 17, 2022 8:41 PM

I agree with the comments about Tracy being a high school principal unrealistic. These types of people almost always wind up in D.C.. I could see Tracy as a Washington lobbyist with * some* thwarted ambitions or something but not an educator or school administrator.While I think in general society is much harsher towards female ambition I hope that the sequel doesn't overdo the sympathy. Type A personality types, of BOTH genders, really do tend to be obnoxious assholes. I have a feeling that the author is going to try to save his reputation from canceling by going overboard. Like suddenly Tracy Flick will be recast as Tess of The D' Ubervilles, a tragic and unfairly maligned figure.

by Anonymousreply 15July 17, 2022 9:09 PM

Her dreams are crushed by a sick mother who makes her abandon law school and her career. A universal truth.

by Anonymousreply 16July 17, 2022 10:41 PM

I know Perrotta's ending is different from the movie but surely he needs to reconcile Mr M seeing her schmoozing with politicians in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2022 6:51 AM

Bump for Tracy. Is Mr M mentioned in the new book? Or Paul?

by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2022 4:21 PM

I read the (new) book.

It is excellent and would be a great role for Witherspoon because (without giving too much away) Tracy has not turned out to be the success she was going to be and yet is every bit as competitive and awkward in her new world.

So a nice stretch for Witherspoon

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2022 4:24 PM

No R18, neither is mentioned except in passing--a one sentence throwaway. There is some mention of Mr. M's friend she had the affair with

by Anonymousreply 20July 18, 2022 4:26 PM

I loved this movie. I guess people like Tracy can go either way, but I probably would tend to agree with those who say she would’ve gotten ahead somehow. People like her usually do. I can’t see a sequel without Matthew Broderick though. They played off each other so well.

R10, I definitely like the theatrical ending better than the alt. Him chasing the car and throwing the milkshake was one of the funniest parts of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 21July 18, 2022 4:38 PM

Thank you R10 - I was aware of the alternative ending that was true to the book but I had never seen it.

Since I guess it is not giving much away, in the second book, the story is that Tracy was at Georgetown Law School when her mother came down with multiple sclerosis. She tried to manage it long distance, but Tracy was an only child and her mother was a single mom--they had no other family-- and so Tracy moved home to care for her mother.

MS is a long slow decline and so while Tracy initially thought she was just taking a one or two year leave of absence, suddenly that turned into a decade or so of caring for her mother and by the time her mother finally died, she was pretty far into both her thirties and her career in education, and she'd gotten a master's in education and while she sometimes wonders if she should go back and finish law school, she realizes that ship has sailed and that it's too late.

Perrotta sums all of the above up in a few pages, it's sort of Tracy's back story and explains why she does what she does.

by Anonymousreply 22July 18, 2022 8:23 PM

Thanks R22! How come she ended up a single mom? Does it mention any of the characters from the original?

Election is unfortunately and surprisingly not on audible. I suggested it to them.

by Anonymousreply 23July 18, 2022 9:00 PM

I don’t know, the sound of the book is nothing with keeping in line with that we know of Tracy. I see her putting her mother in a home. Wasn’t the mom like a stage mom? I can’t imagine she’d go for Tracy playing her nursemaid. I see Tracy childless, climbing some high powered ladder and being some old, rich, powerful guy’s mistress.

by Anonymousreply 24July 18, 2022 10:31 PM

R24 I agree with her putting the mom in a home. But nowadays the Tracy Flick types tend to be major breeders. 4 kids with a rich guy and every move documented online. Complete with online tutorials about how to have it all. Not mentioning the nanny and housekeeper of course.

by Anonymousreply 25July 18, 2022 11:03 PM

R25, I don’t know about that, she was an academic, not some wannabe influencer.

by Anonymousreply 26July 18, 2022 11:15 PM

In the OG book Tracy's mom was her best friend and her inspiration. They were very very close, something the second book picks up on --that her mom was her only friend. The movie made her more of a stage mom.

R22 - a very brief affair with a married professor she meets in grad school and he and his wife embrace her and the child. Her mother, who is still alive at the time encourages her to keep the child as Tracy is already in her 30s and unlikely to get married.

Also, Election and Tracy Flick Can't Win are both on Audible.

by Anonymousreply 27July 18, 2022 11:22 PM

Thanks again R27 for posting. I checked and you're right, but neither are available in the UK audible. Gonna see if I can sneak them!

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2022 6:28 AM

Just read the book, it was better than expected with a good twist ending. There were a few too many voices for my liking but it was still a convincing commentary on the darker side of success and regret

by Anonymousreply 29February 1, 2024 7:17 PM

Always hated that faux-lesbian not only breaking the girl’s heart but then making out with her brother. That was cruel.

by Anonymousreply 30February 1, 2024 7:20 PM

Fun! I don’t enjoy his books—he’s a clunky writer—but they make great movies!

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2024 7:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!