Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are you descended from peasant stock?

Be honest.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2021 1:04 AM

Quail

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2021 1:51 AM

Not on this board. Everyone here is high-born.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2021 1:52 AM

Newfie/irish so 100 percent peasant!

by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2021 1:53 AM

Scattered princesses

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2021 1:57 AM

In all likelihood, yes.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2021 2:03 AM

Yes - my great-great Grandfather was a hired laborer in Denmark.

He moved to the U.S., saved money, bought his own farm and became a locally prominent citizen.

Once upon a time, the American dream was real.

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2021 2:03 AM

100% peasant stock and pretty sure my family's under a gypsy curse.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2021 2:03 AM

Yes Southern Italy and County Mayo Ireland

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2021 2:04 AM

Yes. Why not? Salt of the earth & all. And damn proud of it.

Although my pedophile, serial rapist maternal grandfather was a Radziwill pronounced Radzivił around the house. To avoid kidnap & constriction into the Russian army that rich bitch noble side of the family shipped his sorry ass to the good old USA. He unfortunately copulated with granny & produced his own crop of sexual abuse victims. Including me. I'm sure he is burning in hell right now. When I die I will ask St. Peter if I can go down briefly to light 2 Gauloises on the flames he is screaming in. One for me & one for St. Pete. Pete loves a good smoke, so I've heard

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2021 2:14 AM

Yes, Mennonites who originated in Switzerland, but lived in a couple other countries for a few hundred years, most recently Russia, before moving here.

I have cankles. I notice a lot of Mennonite stock do. My ancestors would have needed them to trudge behind the plow in the tundra. I'm guessing all the ankles of the womenfolk who weren't so amply blessed must have snapped like toothpicks in the half-frozen mud, thus taking themselves out of the gene pool.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2021 2:22 AM

Yeah, coal miners on my Ma's side, father side I arent too sure

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2021 2:48 AM

It depends - all my ancestors were poor laborers on the border of England and Scotland. But tons of the women in my family had illegitimate kids while working on big estates - who knows how many of them were sired by the lord of the manor (or his sons)?

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2021 2:49 AM

Very much so.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 2:50 AM

Yep -- descended from genuine barefoot grape-stompers.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 2:51 AM

I am the grandson of a Balkan goatheard.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 2:52 AM

Thieves, thieves, tramps and thieves!

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 2:53 AM

Yes. Scottish and Irish -- no money, but good with words. Too lazy to write the great American best-selling novel, though.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 2:57 AM

Yes, German farmers on one side, Scotts peasants on the other. Not an aristocrat anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 3:05 AM

Well, uh...technically if you go far back enough I'm related to Charlemagne.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 3:15 AM

Yep, serfs and peasants all the way back. No inbred royal blood in me. I come from a very long line of absolute nobodies. I did my family tree at Ancestry dot com and they gave me a refund

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 3:15 AM

^ I did find out that I'm so common that I'm related to Madonna and no I will not introduce that guy with a Rocco fetish to my little cousin

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 3:23 AM

We probably all are if you go back a few generations. It's nice to imagine medieval knights and Revolutionary War soldiers and aristocrats in our past, but mostly it was dumb fucks digging up turnips and thanking God they get to live another day.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 3:26 AM

Livestock, actually.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 3:29 AM

Yes and when they got here they became criminals.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 3:29 AM

^ Are you a Trump?

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 3:32 AM

No thankfully my family were bookies and loan sharks. Since the 50s there’s just been a few petty thieves.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 3:34 AM

Partially. I've got everyone from farmers, to laborers, to royalty in my family tree. I've researched it extensively over the years. The most fun are the n'e'er- do- wells. We have one that stole school funds and absconded to Mexico in the 1890s. He was a wife-beater too, quite the cad.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 3:34 AM

Hardworking ladies of the night.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 3:37 AM

R22, I actually do have a Revolutionary War soldier in my background. But he was a farmer, so.

Yes, peasants all around. I’ve got strong muscular shapely legs from the Lithuanian branch, and the tall and slender from the Hungarian branch.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 3:46 AM

I'm descended from PHEASANT stock.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 3:47 AM

Mom’s family were aristocrats from Russia pre revolution ; dad’s family were donkey riders from Calabria Italy.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 3:55 AM

Irish Indentured Servants, baby!!! Fuck off Reparations Grifters! We were here first!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 3:58 AM

I will say, your mom's family might have some really interesting stories r31. That would be cool. I still say go back far enough ... but still, go back near enough and there are definitely some interesting lives going on.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 4:01 AM

I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's son

I'm only plucking pheasants 'till the pheasant plucker comes.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 4:04 AM

Grandad was a bootlegger.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 4:08 AM

Papa was a rollin' stone.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 4:16 AM

My ancestors are straight up Welsh trash and i couldn't care less. I'm American and proud of it, regardless of what my DNA says.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 4:26 AM

"Grandad was a bootlegger. "

Italian, huh? All my Italian ancestors made wine in the basement

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 4:28 AM

The earliest ancestor I could isolate was a man from Ireland who fell off a boat in the Hudson Bay.

My mother’s side is Italian. They drove truck. Veterans.

Dad’s side is Irish farmers. Half were mutilated from farm equipment, or electrocuted.

I am an American Catastrophe.

So, yes.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 4:35 AM

Lets be real most non peasants are inbred.

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 4:37 AM

My father i was born in 1941 and is from the Mexican state of Nayarit, which at the time was mostly rural, with towns where it seemed everyone knew your business. My father's birthplace was of humble people with very little education. Sometime ago, I went on Google maps and looked up my father's birthplace, it's still very rural and humble.

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 4:38 AM

No, Irish R38. This went beyond bathtubs. There were stills. There was territory. There were guns. And there was jail.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 5:25 AM

We all are OP. Before that we were all hunters and gatherers.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 6:40 AM

Idk. This is obviously a cat nip thread for all the pathetic elder gays who think we care what they are. Scottish, Irish or whatever the fuck.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 6:48 AM

Yes. Sicily, Slovakia, N. Ireland, and Cornwall.

I go barefoot in my house always. I like "peasant" food.

I'm of peasant stock and I'm okay.

I sleep all night and I read all day.

I watch TV, I eat my lunch,

I go to the lavatory.

On Wednesdays I go visit my home-bound friend 'til three!

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 6:50 AM

Lol! No. It sounds like all your families lived in my family’s villages!

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 7:09 AM

Of course I am, the great percentage of Yugislav people were peasants. Even Tito and Tesla were born in villages.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 11:50 AM

There was a thread a few weeks ago about celebrities your parents hated, and there were tons of replies from people with stories like, "Mom would see Sandy Duncan on a commercial and say, 'What is that HOOR doing on my tee vee?!'" so I think the frequent DL claim of being born to class is a bit exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 11:55 AM

R 44..Aww You're a bastard, literally. Abandoned at birth in a cardboard box behind a dumpster cause you were too uglee for Mommy to raise. I'm so sorry. Know how much this is hurting you. Have another cocktail, an edible, a pill, a bong hit..then bugger off. Don't like the thread..Bye.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2021 2:15 AM

Both of my mother's parents were born in Ireland before the turn of the 20th century, so the answer would be ABSOFUCKINLUTELY. And even though I'm a well-educated person with a job in academia, it gives me great satisfaction to work the earth and to grow potatoes, beans, tomatoes, and cabbages, and to plant fruit trees and vines and tend them, so I guess this apple didn't fall far from the tree.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2021 6:40 AM

My paternal grandfather was a notorious pig thief during WWIi so yeah.

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2021 6:47 AM

^ He couldn't even manage a horse? Oh, what's WWIi? Is that the Wi-Fi war?

by Anonymousreply 52September 17, 2021 6:46 PM

I've got a lot of chicken stock in me at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2021 6:54 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2021 6:55 PM

Obviously you are OP. And you type fat.

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2021 6:56 PM

Porch-dwelling, Appalachian coal miners on Ma’s side. Pa is farmers from Tennessee. Giddy up.

by Anonymousreply 56September 17, 2021 7:03 PM

Dang R56 you're a real hillbilly!

by Anonymousreply 57September 17, 2021 7:12 PM

Cops and plumbers on the Irish side, carpenters on the German side

by Anonymousreply 58September 17, 2021 7:14 PM

Not Blanche. Dorothy told me her mother was a slut

by Anonymousreply 59September 17, 2021 7:50 PM

Not peasants, but coal miners and skilled artisans.

by Anonymousreply 60September 17, 2021 8:04 PM

Indentured servants on my mother's side, and on my dad's another Calabria! Calabria must have been a sewer pipe from hell since so many left.

by Anonymousreply 61September 17, 2021 9:45 PM

Mother’s side was Irish. My great grandparents both worked in service on a great estate in Donegal. My father’s side were poor tenant farmers from Nairn in the North of Scotland. They all ended up in Glasgow.

by Anonymousreply 62September 17, 2021 9:52 PM

Well, not Exactly peasant, Slavic Gypsies, Cigani. The lowest of the low in Eastern Europe, but the most fun & best fucks. The only folks who would hang out with us in daylight, The Jews who were also being persecuted to the max. 23 & Me revealed lots of Jew in our family tree. Guess there was a bit more than just hanging out. The persecution continued even in the US. We were not allowed to settle in New Jersey & had to roam just like in Europe. But, that's OK we put the Gypsy curse on them for doing that to us. Know what the Curse is: there will only one dick that will fill your hole properly. You may have to search your whole life & never find it. If you do find it & can't keep it, then you are really fucked, because you will never find it again & will search & search, totally frustrated for that Dick of Death that you lost. So, yeah don't fuck with us, unless you want to be dickmatized. You better meet us at the door when we knock with some bread & salt. We like eggs, too.

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2021 12:25 AM

OP, this is an American site. If you want to hear from people who aren't descended from peasants, you need to post somewhere European.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2021 12:28 AM

100% southwest England peasant stock on both sides. So peasanty our family genetics were mapped by some BBC/university (can't remember which one, it only involved older relatives back in the UK) genealogy project a few years ago investigating, iirc to what extent Anglo vs Celtic blood (also Viking etc.) could still be linked to place in England. Father's side were all apple growers/cider makers in rural Somerset. Mother's side soldiers and labourers from Devon.

It's weird being in that part of England. I've stood in a church graveyard where most of the stones bear my family's (rare, peasanty) surname. I've gazed out over valleys my people must have been gazing out over for 100s of years. And yet my heart is Canadian, and it beats for a land I technically don't belong to.

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2021 1:00 AM

I'm low born gutter trash.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2021 1:03 AM

R64- George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were Americans and were Aristocrats.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2021 1:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!