Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Favorite City to Visit at Christmas - Warm Climate

This will be my first Christmas without my mother, which means I won't be going up to dreadful, gray Connecticut for the holidays for the first time in many years. I'd like to just go away for Christmas, fingers crossed for normalcy with pandemic crap. I don't care if it's in the U.S., I just don't want to go anywhere cold.

Any legitimate recommendations? and why? favorite spots within those destinations?

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2021 2:47 AM

Have you considered going to the beach - not shitty FL, but some place like the Outer Banks in NC.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 11:38 PM

Carmel/Monterey was lovely at Christmas. Despite being near the ocean and warm for December it still had some essences of a pastoral feel.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 11:39 PM

OH and Half Moon Bay, too. We stayed there at the Ritz Carlton there for Christmas and nothing was more magical than being a few hundred feet from the ocean and having a fire going on Christmas Eve.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 11:40 PM

Unfortunately, every warm tourist area is overcrowded during Christmas.

I can tell you from experience DO NOT go to Puerto Vallarta over Christmas. Between the Canadians/Americans and native Mexicans, it's overflowing and horrendously overcrowded. Never again.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 11:47 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for European cities?

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 11:55 PM

Vienna for the winter markets > bundle up

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2021 12:08 AM

OP, where will you be traveling from? Also, what do you mean by "warm"? San Francisco isn't "warm," but it won't be snowing or freezing.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2021 12:11 AM

R7 - traveling from D.C.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2021 12:13 AM

Go to Hamburg, Germany they have the best Christmas markets.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2021 12:21 AM

Sorry about your Mom, OP. Are you looking for beach weather? Do you want to get in the ocean?

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2021 12:35 AM

R10 Thanks. I'm pretty open to any place that doesn't involve bundling up in many layers to keep warm!

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2021 12:36 AM

Traveling by yourself? What do you like to do?

I wouldn’t make plans to travel outside the US right now as restrictions keep changing. A guy I work with has had his European honeymoon cruise postponed three times due to various border closings and travel restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2021 12:42 AM

OP, did you get your vaccine shots? Any budget restrictions?

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 12:46 AM

I am vaccinated. I would travel with my partner. We're both healthy, pretty varied interests, etc. I would say no major budget restrictions, but we're (hopefully) going to Reykjavik next year, so I don't necessarily want to go too crazy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 12:50 AM

Key West

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 12:55 AM

Buenos Aires?

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 1:12 AM

Bermuda. Quick an idk wth else.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 1:15 AM

Santa Fe? Might be chilly but sunny and festive

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 1:17 AM

San Diego.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 1:21 AM

Bump. I have been dreaming of a sandy Christmas myself. Tired of this house, this area, this crappy weather. I’m fine with a sentimental family dinner then get me the hell out. San Diego sounds nice.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 1:37 AM

[quote] Santa Fe? Might be chilly but sunny and festive

I love Santa Fe (NM), but I've been there during the holidays and it was cold.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 1:38 AM

Always the same every year for us - Ft. Lauderdale. Breakfast by the pool, lunch at the shops at Las Olas, happy hour at The Drynk in Wilting Manors, and dancing at Hunters nightclub. I try to escape to Johnson’s for some dick dancer action when he’s talking to friends.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 1:40 AM

Hawaii? Very long travel time from DC & would need to change planes at least once. Could be expensive at Christmas-time. Would need to wear mask indoors. Would be warm and maybe something cheerful to do since it's your first Christmas without your Mom.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 2:19 AM

I kind of have to agree with R19 - San Diego is an unexpected choice, but there's plenty to do and there's a lot within driving distance (LA, Big Bear if you want snow, Palm Springs, Joshua Tree).

Florida around Christmas can be a crapshoot. Plus it's an obvious choice, so hotels, car rentals, airfares - all of it will be at a premium.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 2:42 AM

Go to San Antonio and see the luminarias on the Riverwalk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 2:44 AM

San Diego should be around 68-70 as a high, but with the sun it feels much warmer. At night, you're going to need a medium/light jacket as it gets into the 50's. Once in a blue moon, you'll get a couple of days in the high 70's, but I wouldn't bet on it.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 2:52 AM

We would never consider not being home on Christmas. And if you want warmth, just wait 10 years and go sit anywhere in the world.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 2:55 AM

Puerto Rico still has some great deals.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 3:03 AM

Marrakech. Great time to be there.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 3:05 AM

Anywhere in the sunbelt, call me a human experiment!

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 3:10 AM

Gran Canaria. Get a massage

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 4:13 AM

Christmas in Charleston, SC sounds lovely

If you're driving from DC & cost is a concern, Edenton NC is a pretty, historic little town close to the ocean, but not on the ocean (it's near a river). You could probably get an Airbnb for a couple of days with minimal expense & trouble

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 8:44 AM

Several great suggestions - thanks!

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 11:19 AM

R32 - Charleston has always been on my visit list - but I couldn't in good conscience pump any money into that nasty, Rethuglican state.

And there are too many COVID idiots in Florida - plus the general Florida population, which has a large number of Trumpsters and vile people.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 2:49 PM

Given that Australia and New Zealand are blocked, Cape Town.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 2:54 PM

Rincon Puerto Rico

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2021 2:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!