Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dan Quayle Saved America! (Just when you thought this year couldn't get any weirder)

Key section of Gen Milley's new book:

Mr. Pence told him that the president was convinced that Mr. Pence could throw out the election results in order to keep himself in power.

[bold] “Mike, you have no flexibility on this,” Mr. Quayle told Mr. Pence. “None. Zero. Forget it. Put it away.” [/bold]

“I know, that’s what I’ve been trying to tell Trump,” Mr. Pence said. “But he really thinks he can. And there are other guys in there saying I’ve got this power.”

Mr. Pence then echoed Mr. Trump’s false claims of election fraud. “Well, there’s some stuff out in Arizona,” Mr. Pence said.

“Mike, I live in Arizona,” Mr. Quayle said. “There’s nothing out here.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 4:49 AM

You need to drop it like a hot potatoe!

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 10:50 PM

Seems you can read the article without a subscription too.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 10:51 PM

Who thought Dan Quayle would be the smartest guy in the room?

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote] Who thought Dan Quayle would be the smartest guy in the room?

25 years ago, no one, but this is the modern Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 10:55 PM

Smartest person in the room nowadays? Senator Marsha Blackburn, R-TN, would not qualify.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 11:00 PM

'Can't believe how sordid things are getting. This shouldn't even be discussed publicly yet. Is everyone an attention whore now? Are there no boundaries? Of course Trump is nuts, he telegraphed his psychosis from the beginning. The question to ask is how did he ever become president? You know everything comes down to culture. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 11:21 PM

League of Super Vice Presidents is headed by Dan Quayle.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 11:24 PM

So a failed Indiana VP calls another failed Indiana VP for advice. Mike Pence is an idiot to call him for advice - let alone to think he has a special power to throw out an election.

Do these lawyers even read?

Dan Quayle didn't save shit. Even if Pence had tried, he would have been stopped.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote]The question to ask is how did he ever become president?

I remember thinking R6, that as “undemocratic” as it may seem (and I think it is a little), the Republican Party needs to have a superdelegate system like the Democrats do. If they did, Trump most likely would have never gotten the nomination.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Quayle endorsed Trump in 2016 after his preferred choice, "Please Clap" Jeb Bush, was crushed in the primary. Quayle can continue to fuck off and go suck on a potatoe (sic).

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 11:37 PM

Amazing how even the modicum of respect Mike Pence was given for doing his role in the election, turns out to be fiction.

I wouldn't have mourned if his terrorist trash brethren had hanged him.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2021 12:07 AM

This just shows what a POS weirdo the creature Mike Pence is--desperately calling anyone to help him overturn the election. Maybe Trump did have some blackmail material on him after all, trussed up in the gimp costume getting pounded by some black cock, perhaps???

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2021 12:11 AM

Dan Quayle deserves a seat at the Algonquin Round Table compared to 2021 Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 12:15 AM

That was the point that The Angry, Angry Eldergays keep missing R13--not that Quayle is some sort of magical hero, but rather than EVEN Dan Quayle thinks Trump is nuts and told Pence to stand up to him and in just saying "No Mike. You should not violate the Constitution. That would be illegal!" he sounds like the smartest guy in the roome. (Typo intended)

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 12:20 AM

Milley's book will soon be #1 on the NYT fiction list.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 3:18 AM

I remember the stories of Dan Quayle and his male "roommates"...

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 3:37 AM

[quote]Milley's book will soon be #1 on the NYT fiction list.

Huh?

Jesus, how much of a low-life must you be to take the side of an orange, draft-dodging, scheming, racist shithead over an erudite man who serves this country? You guys really pride yourselves on being as repugnant as possible.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 3:42 AM

and part of it, r6, is the culture of the media? Can it deal with a president who is a completely off the rails twat? Do they even have a vocabulary for that? We here on DL do, but we're not the New York Times. What do you do when the president is a nutcase? Do you get to say it? Do you have to keep lying about it and pretend otherwise, you know, for the doofus electorate? It's a tough one. You give a hint at the problem when you say this shouldn't be discussed publicly? Are you sure? Shouldn't it be?

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 3:45 AM

Quayle was the mastermind of republican vote stealing from 1996-2008. Guess Trump shouldn't have dissed him.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 4:09 AM

r19 Quayle couldn't mastermind stealing votes for his own campaign. I think he dropped out of the 2000 presidential race before people even started voting.

And for whoever called them both "failed VP's" your failure trolling is annoying. To call relatively young men who get elected to Senate and Governor, then go on to be chosen for VP and win and serve all four years....and then to live out the next several decades in insane wealth (usually from a ton of corporate board gigs that require 1 or 2 days per year of work each and pay 100-250k per day)....

I don't like either of them, and really, really don't like Pence.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 4:34 AM

You're wrong R20. You're following the failure of Ann Richards and Molly Ivins to recognize how psychopaths operate. They are charming and dull seeming.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 8:06 AM

I think Pence was looking for guys to back him up when rejecting Trump's insane demands. He knew the whole thing was unconstitutional, and it would blow up in his face if he would do what Trump demanded him to do, while Trump doesn't get his grubby little hands dirty once again.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 8:35 AM

So, if Pence called Quayle it means he probably called all of the living Republican vice presidents he could find. What did Buckshot Cheney tell him to do?

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 9:06 AM

R11 & R12, you’re both right. In everything that I’ve been reading in the past day, not much is being made of the fact that Pence felt the need to go to someone else for advice. He had no gut reaction to defend the Constitution. This is made clear by his pushback on Quayle and then doubling down and making sure there was nothing he could do. Pence was not looking for Constitutional advice — he was looking for a way to please the president.

Most recently, Quayle himself as well as Al Gore were called upon to announce their own defeat and did so in accordance with the law. No scrambling to find out if there was a way to change the outcome. Enough with the “sane Pence” storyline.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 9:09 AM

What would have happened if the rioters had managed to hang Mike Pence? Would the Repugs be remorseful? Would tRump?

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 9:13 AM

r11, someone on Twitter had a camera on while they lied and told Pence they were one of the insurrectionists on January 6th and he thanked them for being an insurrectionist, and said "I love your heart."

It's astonishing. They were there to KILL HIM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 9:31 AM

We don't have a thread about how General Milley secretly called President Li of China two days after the coup attempt, to reassure him that he wouldn't let Trump attack China? That was mentioned in the book, too. Gen. Miley made the call after speaking with Pelosi, who had contacted Gen. Milley to ask what safeguards they had to prevent Trump from starting a war between then and the inauguration of Biden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 9:34 AM

LOL, it's the headline of the article at OP, R27 "Fears That Trump Might Launch a Strike Prompted General to Reassure China, Book Says"

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 9:51 AM

Even The Atlantic concluded that Dan Quayle was right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 10:26 AM

“But all that election fraud in Arizona..” “TF you talkin about boy!”

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 10:41 AM

Props to Quayle. Indeed he looks like Churchill compared to most of today's GOP.

My favorite part was Milley's conclusion that DUMP suffered a severe mental decline after the election. Translation: he went mad.

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 11:06 AM

[quote] Jesus, how much of a low-life must you be to take the side of an orange, draft-dodging, scheming, racist shithead over an erudite man who serves this country? You guys really pride yourselves on being as repugnant as possible.

You losers are so desperate to embrace anyone with fantastical stories that deride Trump that you would literally blow GW Bush if he wrote a nasty book. Gullible, partisan, and more than anything else pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 11:36 AM

@ R32

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 11:39 AM

R33 - You make it seem as if losing you would matter to me. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out -- although I'm sure you would try to straddle the doorknob.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 11:56 AM

Of course, when one needs advice on what is and is not Constitutional, one immediately seeks the advice of Constitutional law scholar.....Dan Quayle?!?

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 4:01 PM

Dan Quayle Was Right...

...Wing

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]You losers are so desperate to embrace anyone with fantastical stories that deride Trump that you would literally blow GW Bush if he wrote a nasty book. Gullible, partisan, and more than anything else pathetic.

Wrong. People like me were the ones being called a traitor for knowing the Iraq War was bullshit from the moment the chatter started and I knew that 9/11 wasn't about "ar' freedumbz." It was about a fucked up foreign policy over decades which Trump CONTINUED. Trump was a fucking neocon. If he wasn't, he would have ever had people like Bolton and Pompeo and his own shit son-in-law in power. You people lie to yourselves. He was more than willing to start another fucking neocon war with Iran for Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Milley reassured his counterpart that we wouldn't allow a psycho, stupid clown to start a fucking war because all Trump ever did was act like a chickenshit warmonger who wanted to kill people.

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 4:46 PM

he wouldn't* have ever

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 4:48 PM

Quayle, Trump, Pence... a veritable tree of owls!

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 4:55 PM

Bob Woodward is an “anyone?”

Do they not teach US history in troll school anymore R32?

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]Who thought Dan Quayle would be the [bold]most smartest[/bold] guy in the room?

FIXDED

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote] Do they not teach US history in troll school anymore [R32]?

No. At Bannon's "academy", they read the collected works of Viktor Orban.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 4:59 PM

It was disgusting that anyone could support or vote for that hateful, stupid birther trash in 2016, but it is beyond reprehensible to have supported him again in 2020 if you really knew better and knew he was even worse than first imagined. When I hear of establishment Republicans having voted for someone who is clearly too stupid and has anti-democratic, fascistic beliefs, then how in the hell do you call yourself an American who believes in the constitution when you vote for someone like him?

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 5:10 PM

America saved America by voting for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 5:17 PM

R29, except he tried to blame Murphy Brown and "Hollywood" for single parent households when it has more to do with social class

Many red states have high divorce rates and high rates of out-of-wedlock births. Trying to put that on Hollywood or liberals is silly

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 5:18 PM

R45, the irony being: How many REPUBLICANS are on their second or third marriages? How many have gotten abortions for their mistresses?

Yeah, blame Hollywood for where you stick your dick.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 5:20 PM

ElderLez and Other ElderGays -- please just ignore the Trumpist trolls.

They only come here because they get responses.

They're like pigeons or raccoons--if you stop feeding them, they'll eventually go somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 5:33 PM

Trump trolls are butthurt because big cocked Newsom won in a landslide, their horse paste and betadine cocktails aren't keeping COVID away and that 30 day ban from Facebook is ITCHY.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 5:39 PM

If Pence had attempted to do what Trump wanted he would be in prison right now. Someone, be it Quayle or someone else highly placed, told him exactly that and that's why he didn't even try it.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 5:44 PM

R45, The Atlantic (the article was written by sociologist Barbara Dafoe Whitehead, who, incidentally is Willem's sister), was right to be critical of Hollywood for its role in making single parenthood - once very much the exception - more normative. And to those who mocked Quayle for going after a fictional character, I recall one wag back in the day who said those same critics would be singing a very different tune if a sitcom character had been supportive of the then-apartheid regime in South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 5:59 PM

R50, it needed to be normalized because people were stuck in completely miserable marriages. There are people who don't want to be married, but want children.

Obama is the product of a single mother and Trump is the product of a couple. Which one turned out to be the more decent man?

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] There are people who don't want to be married, but want children.

And it's all about indulging their wishes, R51, right? Parenting is a difficult enough job with two parents, it's so much more difficult with a single parent. And it's the child who often ends with the short side of the stick. Sure, there are heroic single parents who, despite the odds, do a better job than their two-parent counterparts, e.g., your Obama/Trump example, but that's the exception. And public policy - as opposed to social work - should be about promoting policies that produce the best results for the most people.

I had a straight single female friend years who, in the mid-'90s, decided she wanted to be a parent & went to a sperm bank. Not long after she became a mother, we had lunch & she announced she was getting a dog, "because kids should grow up with pets." I thought - to myself, not aloud - and kids shouldn't grow up with, in her case, a father?!

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 6:26 PM

Right r37 except Trump isn’t a neocon. He doesn’t have any political views except “what will benefit him”. Because he is extremely stupid and grasping, the right wingers recognized the void and slotted in all their people. The rulers in SA and Israel shamelessly flattered him to convince him that Iran was the enemy. Of course he was looking ahead to building “Trump Riyadh”.

It looks like the only satisfaction we’ll get is know his brand name is in the toilet.

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 6:29 PM

omg r52. Read up on emotional labor and who does the majority of it every single day, married or not. Look at countries like Sweden and The Netherlands where woman are economically able to be single parents and marriage is not dependent on biological timetables. Are those kids suffering? What’s the divorce rate in the US? You’re gonna say that half the country doesn’t get to be represented in the media because it’s not the standard nuclear family?

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2021 6:44 PM

R54, you're moving the goalposts. Murphy Brown wasn't about divorced* parents, it was about those making a choice to be a single parent.

*Your 50% stat, btw, never accurately told the full picture, even when divorce was at its peak. That number included ALL marriages, including those of the multiple marrieds. At worst, only 1/3 of first-time married couples divorced.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2021 6:52 PM

The good news R54 and R55 is that teen pregnancy is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY down since the 1990s.

So something of a moot point right now.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2021 6:54 PM

Agreed, R56.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2021 7:04 PM

r32 You're the gullible one. You believe obvious lies and bullshit because it came out of the Orange Shitstain's mouth. Q is your deity. You go prep for the end times. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2021 7:07 PM

Ok, Murphy Brown was never married, true. But nobody thought she was representative of single mothers at the time. She had a high-paying job! she could afford a nanny! (enough about him) You know one woman in a similar situation. I know two, both upper middle class professionals, both adopted two Asian kids. I know A LOT more divorced single mothers who are struggling.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] But nobody thought [Murphy Brown] was representative of single mothers at the time.

True, but it cannot be gainsaid that many look to the larger culture for their cues.

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2021 7:47 PM

R58 - As usual, make wild, stupid, and wrong assumptions. No. NO. And just LOL. And you are the shit stain.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2021 10:14 PM

I wonder if R61 will convince R58 that Trump is a good guy.

Or if R58 will convince R61 that he's not.

Or do you all think that they'll hiss at each other for another five to 10 posts and then call it a day?

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2021 11:46 PM

Dan Quayle, the comeback kid!

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2021 12:27 AM

The comebacke kid, R63.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2021 2:45 AM

Pence was afraid to call Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2021 1:04 PM

[quote]If Pence had attempted to do what Trump wanted he would be in prison right now.

So who or which institution would have stopped Trump's coup d'etat?

by Anonymousreply 66September 17, 2021 4:19 AM

I think if Pence had refused to count the ballots, it would have ended up at the Supreme Court....they would have thrown it back to the House has the constitution is very clear on procedure when the electoral college can't decide what to do....and the House votes by state (not as individuals, as in every other circumstance) Trump would have won 26-24.

by Anonymousreply 67September 17, 2021 4:32 AM

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 68September 17, 2021 4:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!