Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Grindr: confused on using it, some questions

Long post:

I just joined Grindr a few days ago. I'm not a paying member yet, just browsing for now. I may join the unlimited plan later. I guess it's worth it (?), as it gives more info on members, and I won't be limited to just dozens of profiles in my area, but have access to all of them? What other worthwhike benefits for paying members?

Anyway...

(see, I didn't use "anywayS," as I've learned here and elsewhere that it's not even a word, but so many say it -- anyway!)

How can I just browse and tap on people's profiles -- without having them see that I've tapped them? Because then they'll sometimes contact me with a "hi" or send me NSFW pictures. I actually do welcome the pictures, but I still don't want them sending "hi" messages or any other messages expecting a response. Plus, too many messages could get overwhelming, especially for desirable members!

If even I, as an old bear, get some messages, the young and/hot guys certainly get countless messages, and cannot spend time responding "no thanks" to all of them. Right? So they probably just ignore most messages, and even just block the ones they don't care for?

Is it proper etiquette to ignore all responses unless interested? (Who cares about etiquette on a cruising app, right?) I assume so.

I do see in my profile page an "incognito" button, but when I tap it, nothing happens. Hmm... Won't that button allow me to browse without showing up on the app, and thus won't waste others' time or expectations if I'm just browsing for now as a new member? Or maybe I have to be a paying member to activate the incognito button?

What's tapping? Obviously it's when I tap on a member's profile? But then some profiles mention don't tap without a photo, or something like that. Or someone said "just kidding" in reference to his tapping profile messsge. I'm confused about tapping. I can tap people without a photo of my own, or it's discouraged?

Gee, I'm surprised there isn't a checkbox in one's profile for "condoms only." I guess they'll simply write that in their profile if it's of concern?

I see a category for HIV status, and every one but one of the hundreds of profiles claim to be negative. And a category for last HIV (or is it STD?) test.

What about if someone has herpes, cold sores, HPV, warts? No category for those And those aren't even checked in a regular STD panel, right? So just because my STD test came back clean, for what they tested, it obviously doesn't mean I'm free of the herpes simplex cold sore virus. Or free of herpes complex in other areas of my body. Besides, there's no HPV test for males, correct? The only way we know if we even have HPV is if warts present on the penis, scrotum, thighs, anus? And I always read that maybe 30% to 70% (?) of sexually active people eventually get HPV, anyway-- but with almost all, their body usually clears it in a year or so (?) and thus they can't infect others afterwards, supposedly only contagious before the body clears it. But if one has any warts, I understand there is no cure even if they're removed, as the HPV virus is always present and transferable? So confusing to me and likely many others.

Thus, those who claim a clean STD test may not actually be free of these other STDs which aren't tested, right? So if someone claims to be clean, shouldn't we then ask about HPV, warts, cold sores, herpes and maybe other non-tested diseases? Probably most would find that invasive.

Thanks for any clarifications.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 10:26 PM

Thank you for not using "anyways."

Next stop, learn "brevity."

Real answers to follow...

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 10:11 PM

Do us all a favor and take up knitting instead.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 10:13 PM

Oh, nevermind, this is a troll post. Got it, right? right?

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 10:14 PM

Just wank off

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 10:16 PM

Don’t bother with the paid membership, OP. Just more guys to turn you down.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 10:24 PM

Mary, get to the point! We don't need a thesis from you.

Tons of people on grindr don't reply to a message, it's hardly unusual for any online dating app. People tend to be very flaky.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!