Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

5 Ingredients or Less Recipes

What are some of your favorites? 5 ingredients or less; you don’t have to count staple spices/ sauces/ oil if you don’t want to. Food for yourself when you just want something tasty and simple to make, or when you have friends over and just want something that everyone will enjoy.

My go-to is egg fried rice. Day old/ refrigerated rice,, safflower oil, green onions, eggs, 1 small bag of frozen peas and carrots; soy sauce and ground white pepper to suit own taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 1:05 AM

I hoarded beans and other legumes in March 2019. I had chickpeas in cans that I couldn't use for chili, so I pulled this.

Canned chickpeas: Canned chickpeas are a staple in our pantry: we buy tons at once! You can also use cooked chickpeas, of course. Steer away from reduced sodium, since those are typically very bland.

Fresh garlic: In a pinch you can ¼ teaspoon garlic powder. But fresh garlic is the best way to instant flavor.

Smoked paprika: The smoked Spanish variety of paprika adds just the right smoky undertone (and you can use it in lots of other recipes). Substitute standard paprika if you can’t find it.

Olive oil Salt

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 7:18 PM

There are a lot of 3 ingredient recipe cookbooks out there and online. (Seasonings usually don't count). It is a great way for a novice cook to learn how to make delicious food without the fear. One of my favourites is roasted pork tenderloin (the long one that looks like a huge cock), slit and stuffed with prunes, herbs and wine. A twist on that is to slice the tenderloin in medallions, cook until tender, fish out, add the above ingredients to the pan with the fond. Cook until tasty, pour over medallions. Fucking great.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 7:39 PM

Cheese omelette. Butter for the pan, eggs, cheese.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 7:43 PM

Lamb Chops, pan fried, glazed with either good Seville marmalade or a decent mint sauce. Served with asparagus and a side of Near East pilaf or Wild Rice mix.

OK, technically that is four ingredients. find the 3 ingredient ones more challenging and fun.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 7:52 PM

Roast chicken, potatoes, whole garlic, carrots and a bottle of white burgundy.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 8:02 PM

Celery sticks.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 8:03 PM

Sheet pan of diagonally sliced kielbasa or italian sausage, cabbage slices, quartered baby potatoes, and roughly chopped onions tossed together with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, baked on a sheet pan for half an hour or until the potatoes are cooked through. My mother used to serve this with a quartered hard boiled egg on top.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 8:22 PM

Prunes? Really, R2? Do you think you're Greg or something??

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 8:25 PM

Fewer, not less.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 8:30 PM

One box devil's food cake mix, one can cherry pie filling, one can Shasta black cherry. Dump and bake!

(You can use diet soda if you're watching your waistline.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 9:00 PM

I’m having cauliflower fried rice with chicken.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 9:20 PM

Baked Sauerkraut with Kielbasa and peeled & quartered potatoes

Baked Italian sausage with bell peppers (red & green), onions and potatoes

Baked (or grilled) BBQ chicken thighs with a side of buttered steamed corn on the cob

Grilled chicken or steak soft tacos. I cheat and use fresh salsa from our produce section and the pre-shredded iceberg lettuce.

Baked pasta dishes like stuffed shells or rigatoni. Just get a jar of your favorite sauce, some pasta, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan/romano

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 9:32 PM

Which one of you posted this on the Cathy's recipe?

Test0tickle •August 1 2016 Shit recipes for shitposting

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]slit and stuffed with prunes,

Gregg, right?

by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 9:37 PM

Carlota di Limon Icebox Cake

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 can evaporated milk

1/2 block cream cheese

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice or to taste anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. 1/2 cup is too tart for me.

Goya Maria cookies

In blender mix the sweetened condensed, evaporated and cream cheese. Then add lime juice and blend, this will thicken it up.

Alternate layers cookies and cream mixture in 9x13 pan. Top with some lime zest if you're feeling fancy. Refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.

Muy delicioso.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 10:51 PM

The yellow Maria or the chocolate ones?

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 10:53 PM

Yellow, r16.

Tons of YTs of this recipe.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 10:57 PM

5 ingredient meatloaf: 1.5 lbs ground beef, one packet of Lipton onion soup mix, one 5-ounce can of evaporated milk. For glaze: quarter cup ketchup and a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar.

Method: Mix together ingredients 1-3. Shape into a loaf. Mix ingredients 4 and 5, spread evenly over top of meatloaf. Bake at 350F for an hour or so. Serve with tater tots and green beans.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 11:18 PM

r18 - that's not meatloaf in my book. That's Lipton-flavored ground beef.

Where's the binding component? Bread crumbs or something similar? Egg?

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 11:22 PM

The evaporated milk.

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 11:25 PM

I'd go with the simplest of Chinese egg puddings, Three No Stick: doesn't stick to your chopsticks, plate or teeth.

Basically just egg yolks and sugar, along with some starch, flavor powder and oil.

This Youtube guy shows how easy it is to make.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 11:34 PM

I made this Pork Tenderloin with Honey Garlic Sauce a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely the best thing I have ever tasted. Made it again the following week and while it was still decent it wasn't near as good and I am not sure why the difference unless it was just the first cut of meat was better. I will make it again though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 12:33 AM

Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe

Or Pasta Carbonara. Just don’t skimp on the cheese and guanciale

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 1:22 AM

Osh Palov (Uzbekistan's national dish!)

Meat: Chicken, beef, lamb, or whatever you have on hand, the more fatty the cut the better. Onion. Carrots. Rice. Raisins. Garlic

Cut the meat into chunks. Fry it until a crust forms, and set it aside. Dice one whole onion. Fry it until brown, set it aside. Carrots, cut 3 or 4 into matchsticks. Fry it until it turns sorta golden, set it aside. In a big pot put the meat at the bottom. Next layer onions on top of the meat. Layer the carrots on top on the onions. Layer raisins on top of the carrots. Now add 1 cup of rice. Cut the top off a whole garlic bulb, cleaned up of all the loose dried leaves, and place it cut side down into the rice. Add enough salted to taste water to cover the rice. It should be to about where your first knuckle is from the tip of your finger. Cover the pot,and bring to a boil. After 10 minutes, turn the gas down to low until the rice is tender. Remove the garlic bulb. Fluff, and mix with a fork. Turn it all out of a platter, and top with the garlic bulb.

I like to serve it with a finely minced salad of tomato, cucumber, red onion, coriander. I dress it with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.

It isn't the most attractive dish, but I grew up eating it, and to me its comfort food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 1:44 AM

Looks tasty but you can't count.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 1:47 AM

Fried rice needs chopped bacon or Spam.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 1:49 AM

Gear?

What's with the debasing of the language with faux-technical terms developed by marketers in fields about which they know nothing?

Iconic! Diva! Meme! GOING VIRAL!!!!!!!

Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 1:51 AM

R24 - you grew up eating Uzbekistan’s national dish?

How exotic.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 2:00 AM

Yes, my family is from that neck of the woods. I know its more than 5 things, but you dont have to add raisins. I should have mentioned that.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 2:03 AM

I'm in the minority of people who thing raisins MAKE the dish.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 2:16 AM

Thank you Karen C. @R6. R1 I LOVE chickpeas (and all other legumes, honestly), and will definitely be making this. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] Gregg, right?

Gregg or Greg?

And it should be "5 Ingredients of [bold] FEWER [/fewer] Recipes.

If you can count something, use FEWER.

For example:

[bold] 10 items or fewer. [/bold]

[bold] There were fewer people at the meeting than usual. [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 32September 17, 2021 6:32 PM

Cuppa, Cuppa, Cuppa.

by Anonymousreply 33September 17, 2021 6:38 PM

[quote] Spaghetti Cacio e Pepe. Or Pasta Carbonara. Just don’t skimp on the cheese and guanciale.

I agree with R23. These are wonderful and delicious recipes that have a minimal number of ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 34September 17, 2021 6:44 PM

Chicken. Butter. Pan. Fire.

by Anonymousreply 35September 17, 2021 6:53 PM

Tuna noodle casserole Tuna, cream of mushroom soup and noodles

by Anonymousreply 36September 17, 2021 10:35 PM

You could stop at one ingredient with this one, but I add pepper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 17, 2021 10:40 PM

It's apple season. Throw some tart sliced apples into a baking dish along with some sugar and cinnamon. Then top with a flour-butter-sugar crumb. Bake till done.

by Anonymousreply 38September 18, 2021 1:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!