Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

There is WAY TOO MUCH HIP-HOP in Top 40

I'm sorry. Black people used to have such good music, but they have effectively ruined Top 40 music. There are still some good black artists out there, such as The Weeknd. But most of the artists are nothing more than talentless, illiterate ghetto trash.

I looked at the latest Billboard Hot 100 chart, and Drake has 9 songs in the Top 10. Why? Is he really that popular? Who the hell is buying his albums? This is chart manipulation, this can't be what American people really prefer.

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 1:23 PM

OP's Father, circa 1965:

I'm sorry. young people used to have such good music, but they have effectively ruined Top 40 music. There are still some good young artists out there, such as Johnny Mathis. But most of the artists are nothing more than talentless, illiterate white trash.

I looked at the latest Billboard Hot 100 chart, and The Beatles have 9 songs in the Top 10. Why? Are they really that popular? Who the hell is buying their albums? This is chart manipulation, this can't be what American people really prefer.

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 3:22 PM

This millennial doesn’t even try to listen to the radio.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 3:28 PM

The market targets indiscriminate spenders. Luxury brands cater to the same market, now. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. Why waste time and money on craftsmanship when you can sell a glittered turd for the same price?

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 3:40 PM

I'm not a music snob by any means but current top 40 is horrendous. I can't even listen to adult contemporary stations anymore.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 4:04 PM

[quote]Black people used to have such good music, but they have effectively ruined Top 40 music.

What's the deal with all the trolls today? There were far fewer trolls here on 9/11, were they busy trolling bigger forums that day or something?

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Thanks to streaming, the top 40 is calculated differently. A top 10 hit means nothing anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 4:05 PM

Black artists dominated the 90s and early 2000s and it was fine. The music today just sucks regardless.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 4:07 PM

F&F the racist, ignorant trash OP who claims to know every black person's music.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote] Thanks to streaming, the top 40 is calculated differently. A top 10 hit means nothing anymore.

It's really strange. Imagine if, in years past, they could have calculated the Hot 100 based on how many times somebody played a song after they bought it and brought it home. That's basically what's happening now.

And you don't even have to be actually listening to it. It just has to be streaming on your device to be counted. You could be in the other room, in the bathroom taking a dump, sleeping, whatever. It allows for massive manipulation, as armies of diehard fans will simply set their devices to stream the new album all day and night, in order to manipulate the numbers, and force songs hardly anybody has heard into the top 10.

The entire concept of musical popularity charts is, if not entirely dead, then radically different than what it once was.

Although Drake just BURIED Kanye, and I approve.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 4:17 PM

R1, the Beatles NEVER had 9 songs in the Top 10.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 5:43 PM

R5 Bigger fish to fry! LOL

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 5:53 PM

The problem is, in the '90s, hip-hop was good. And there was great diversity in artistry in the former "black" charts. A random look at those charts would give you crossover superstars like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Prince; R&B vocal groups like Boyz II Men, En Vogue and TLC; soul crooners like Luther Vandross, Anita Baker and Freddy Jackson; R&B balladeers like Babyface, Brian McKnight and Keith Sweat; R&B dancer-entertainers like Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown and Karyn White; gangsta rap like Tupac Shakur, Notorious B.I.G. and Snoop Doggy Dogg; 'conscious hip-hop like Fugees, De La Soul and Queen Latifah; sexy provocateurs like Salt N' Pepa, and even R&B-influenced alternative rock like In Living Color ... and so much more.

Op is right. Black music is shit nowadays and it's not racist to say so. Drake, DaBaby, Cardi B, Meghan thee Stallion ... yuck!

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2021 3:50 AM

Black musicians between 60s-90’s were amazing, talent, innovation and class. Sometime in the early 2000s it all went to shit .

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 3:58 AM

OP probably listens to formulaic country songs about pickup trucks. Fuck off, racist trailer trash

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 4:00 AM

Yes because Billie Ellish and Olivia Rodrigo is GOOD pop music. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 4:02 AM

R14 Sorry, enjoy listening to Cardi B and Lil Naz X or whatever his name is because that's what intelligent people allegedly listen to.

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 4:03 AM

The males sing flat, and they have a strained voice that sounds like smoke damage. So they vocorder their ugly voices to make them palatable.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 4:04 AM

R9: yeah it’s total bullshit. They need to at least figure out a way to credit a song with more ‘units’ or whatever if someone actively picks it to listen to, and give fewer to songs that just come on because someone has a ‘Current Top 40’ or ‘Latest Shite Rap’ playlist going.

The singles charts are bollocks everywhere now, including in the UK, but at least there they changed the rules so only the top 3 most streamed songs could make the singles chart.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 4:05 AM

R12 Great post, I'm a fan of virtually all the artists you've listed and I find today's music unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 4:05 AM

I’d rather listen to hip-hop or whatever over Billie Eyelash and that fucking Applebee’s song.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 4:07 AM

It's a trend/meme that will end sooner or later. A black manager in a music store told me that black males sing way too much about sex and even he is tired of it. A lot of it is not terribly intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 4:08 AM

Agree R12 (and R19 that it’s a great post). There was so much talent back then and different sounding successful music by black artists. Now the only stuff that does remotely well on the charts is unlistenable rap shit.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 4:08 AM

Can we all agree that Connie Francis and Barbra Streisand are better than Drake?

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 4:09 AM

Hip-hop has worked it's way into everything. There's no melody anymore. It's all beat. And well-crafted lyrics are gone too. It's all garbage.

[quote]and that fucking Applebee’s song.

Country music and the performers once had class.

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 4:09 AM

[quote]Connie Francis

Now you're really lowering the bar.

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 4:11 AM

People, young people love and prefer the cool bravado and thumping beats of hip hop. It’s the pulse of youth culture. Everything else seems corny, lame.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 4:13 AM

And to be fair, it’s not just black music that’s shit now and does well, most music that does well on the charts is total shit. I appreciate part of that is being in my late 30s now but god I really am glad to have been born in the early 80s and to have grown up when decent music did well. There is still good new music around but it usually barely gets a look in on the charts.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 4:14 AM

Don't forget that a lot of the audience for the music OP hates is white teens too. Especially the more "mainstream" stuff like Drake.

There really isn't much of a rock scene nowadays and hasn't been for a while.

One theory is that streaming means it's really hard to make it as a musician--you're either Drake or you're not and that's why you rarely encounter one-hit wonders anymore.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 9:57 AM

The Charts (at least here in Britain) have been totally irrelevant since the late 90s. The death of actual singles, and the way labels manipulated the charts (discount price in first week of release just to score a high chart entry) were the beginning of the end. Streaming has just killed it completely. Who's in the chart now? I have no idea. Who's had a number 1 in the last 10 years? I have no idea.

I don't think it's *just* my age, I used to keep up with music well into my 40s but now I don't have the time or inclination. I don't think music means as much to younger people as it did to me at their age. (Young) people used to define themselves by their taste in music - punks, rastas, mods, new romantics, hippies...who the hell does that now?

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 10:24 AM

Today's music is dog shit, and even young people admit it.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 10:31 AM

Since 2010 or so the entire back catalog of recorded music has been available virtually for free, for the very first time in history. Who on earth has time to listen to new music?

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 10:37 AM

Excellent point R31

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 11:16 AM

I can't remember the last time there was a song that everybody knew.

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 11:19 AM

You stupid queens calling the OP a racist are the ones who are really racist. Black people are equal to white people and can stand some criticism regarding black musicians. They aren't people with special needs.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]Who the hell is buying his albums

Most of the straight white boys DL obsesses over.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 11:35 AM

[quote]The problem is, in the '90s, hip-hop was good. And there was great diversity in artistry in the former "black" charts. A random look at those charts would give you crossover superstars like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Prince; R&B vocal groups like Boyz II Men, En Vogue and TLC; soul crooners like Luther Vandross, Anita Baker and Freddy Jackson; R&B balladeers like Babyface, Brian McKnight and Keith Sweat; R&B dancer-entertainers like Janet Jackson, Bobby Brown and Karyn White; gangsta rap like Tupac Shakur, Notorious B.I.G. and Snoop Doggy Dogg; 'conscious hip-hop like Fugees, De La Soul and Queen Latifah; sexy provocateurs like Salt N' Pepa, and even R&B-influenced alternative rock like In Living Color ... and so much more.

This is very true, and beyond that, music was extremely diverse in the 90s across everyone.

I will say though, there is still great music out there, but you need to look elsewhere for it, go searching.

[quote]I don't think music means as much to younger people as it did to me at their age.

I get this feeling too, like it's more background music for showing off on Tik Tok, but I could be wrong. I turned 40 this year, I'm hardly keeping my finger on the pulse of how young people think these days.

It is interesting though, if you read comments on YouTube under older songs there are a lot of younger people decrying how bad their generaton's music is and wishing they had been around for stuff played in the70s, 80s and 90s, make of that what you will.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 11:41 AM

I lived through the 80s and 90s. Current popular music always seems bad. It’s only good in retrospect after the dreadful stuff is weeded out and the better music survives. That said, 1920s-50s pop >>>> anything afterwards

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2021 12:16 PM

Most of the teenagers I know say music was at better in the 80's and 90's.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 12:22 PM

r36, streaming as influenced pop music the most, it needs a hook that "reads" and then that is it, songs are MUCH shorter because of this

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 12:24 PM

R37, My brother and I are doing a whole 90s nostalgia listening thing now, and look, you aren't wrong that there was a lot of crappy stuff in the 90s too. A lot of stupid novelty songs for a start and the German techno fad wears it's welcome out very quickly.

But going back into the alternative scene (and when I was a kid, alternative music was often played on pop radio too) there is so much good stuff, and I'm still discovering great songs that I missed first time around. It's been a lot of fun!

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 12:29 PM

Pssssst - people stopped playing instruments!

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 12:39 PM

Its not just that its really bad but also that its all so similar as to be pretty much indistinguishable. A lot of that has to do with technology used to produce, its so easy to just copy another song's sound that is popular that everything sounds almost exactly the same. "Artists" aren't artists anymore, the hits are based more on the producer, and big artists all use the same few producers.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote]Current popular music always seems bad.

False.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 12:53 PM

The teens I work with - 17 and up - a lot of them listen to pop from early 2000s, or at least have a lot of songs from that era on their playlists.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 12:53 PM

What do you do R44?

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 12:54 PM

Tell that to Ari Melber, PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 12:57 PM

Most K-POP music gets its inspiration from 90s era and they sing and dance like Michael Jackson. We don’t have a MJ in the current Western music scene. Which is why BTS is popular and why K-POP music videos on YouTube are popular.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 1:19 PM

My husband's 15 year old niece is a typical rich suburban white girl and she and her friends seem to listen to a range--some Drake and Kanye, some better current hip hop like Kid Cudi, some Lizzo/Dua LIpa and other pop songs, some new rock/folk-like music like Rex Orange County (at link) and lots of older stuff from 60s through 00s. Literally everything from Beatles and Stones to Ramones to Duran Duran to The Lemonheads and Radiohead.

It's because of what R31 points out--they grew up with Spotify and having the entire catalog of music at their disposal--and because their parents are in their 40s and they heard it from them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 1:34 PM

The thing is the "rock era" ended about 1990, that is when R&B took over the pop charts in full.

Black/R&B has always been over represented in pop music. In 1972 14% of the charts were black artists. That is the LOWEST percentage ever. Blacks made up about 14% of the population at the time.

Mainstream music has been going more R&B since. In I think it was 2004, only black acts had #1 hits.

But good thing is there are now more artists and niches than ever. So the music you like is still out there but it's just not top 40 material and you have to look for it. Kind of like being a heavy metal fan, you can always find the music, but it wasn't represented in top 40 form.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 1:39 PM

The comments on YouTube about a new Drake song:

Drake puts out the same song 500 times and people still listen to it.

Sounds like every song he’s made, it’s not bad, it’s just there.

There are a few songs I like of his like Hotline Bling and Hold on, we’re going home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 1:41 PM

Older people complaining about the music younger people listen to it a time tested tradition but the complaining never has an affect on the direction of music.

The good news OP is that you have more options for listening to the music you like more than ever before.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 1:45 PM

A lot of younger kids are introduced to older music because of the movies. Like the new Matrix trailer which was trending no. 1 on YouTube and Twitter last week, #whiterabbit. The entire trailer plays Jefferson Airplane’s White Rabbit, a song that’s over 54 years old. A lot of younger people saying music was better in the old days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 2:12 PM

Blackness is considered cool, hip, sexy. There is a reason Drake identifies as black and urban Although being a half white Canadian. Bieber associated with black dudes and urban culture as a teen although he was a teen pop idol. Youth culture today is heavily urban. Young people love the bravado, machismo, spontaneity, urbanity, hipness, driving beats, and informality of black culture. Social media only enhances this fact

by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 2:14 PM

Wholecuntedly agreed, OP. I remember years ago being at the gym and theys playing hip hop top 40. Worst fucking music in history. Literally talking about nothing. No singing or talent or craft involved. 100% autotuned of course. Any song with autotune is not worth listening to and that is most music these days. Same annoying fucking beat in every song.

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2021 2:16 PM

When Drake and Kanye are not dominating Billboard Hot 100, it’s a new Black hip-hop artist at no. 1 that no one has ever heard of but is very popular elsewhere like SoundCloud or who knows where. Every month is a new face.

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2021 2:22 PM

[QUOTE] Bigger fish to fry! LOL

with hot sauce!

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2021 2:25 PM

[quote] Young people love the bravado, machismo, spontaneity, urbanity, hipness, driving beats, and informality of black culture

Which is in direct opposition to woke culture which is forced and fake.

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] Black/R&B has always been over represented in pop music. In 1972 14% of the charts were black artists. That is the LOWEST percentage ever. Blacks made up about 14% of the population at the time.

It really is amazing to go back and listen to the old countdown shows. There was a subtle shift in 87 but then in 90 the floodgates opened.

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2021 3:16 PM

The availability and plethora of listening choices puts the onus on the listener to keep up. It’s quite exhausting sometimes, and easy to feel like you’re getting left behind.

Like I’m still in my 20s (not for long, but technically), and I have to make sure I regularly touch base with my Zoomer sister so I can at least keep a pinky nail on the pulse. There’s always something cool and fresh to discover, which makes it less of a daunting tedious prospect, but there’s still a lot of shit for every gold bar you find.

One recent sea-change I appreciate is the ubiquity and normalisation of female voices in rap & hiphop, and the range of them. They don’t all sound like Latifah & Brat & Lil Kim, now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2021 4:43 PM

But it is true, though, that lots of the hip hopers like them some cock?

by Anonymousreply 60September 15, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote] Since 2010 or so the entire back catalog of recorded music has been available virtually for free, for the very first time in history. Who on earth has time to listen to new music?

I think people are naturally curious or want to feel like they are keeping up with the times. However, at the end of the day, you want to seek out things that make you feel good.

by Anonymousreply 61September 15, 2021 5:32 PM

^And as many people have already noted, the music being played on the radio is not really a reflection of peoples' tastes like they were in the past.

by Anonymousreply 62September 15, 2021 5:33 PM

I’m not even sure who or what the charts or radio playlists are still for. To reassure people over the age of 45 that the new world of today isn’t a totally scary hostile place?

by Anonymousreply 63September 15, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote]To reassure people over the age of 45

Agist pig.

by Anonymousreply 64September 15, 2021 5:46 PM

Maybe we all just got old(er)? I remember listening to music back in the 90s and my parents and grandparents used to complain about the “noise” and told me that music just used to be better when they were young.

I stopped listening to the Top 100, 40, or 10 a long time ago. Sometimes there’s a new song I like, but most of the time I stick to my old music. There’s a fan base out there for the music you’re hearing nowadays and that you dislike, it’s just not old you. Move over, let the kids do their thing as we did, listen to what you like, and stop complaining.

by Anonymousreply 65September 15, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote] Thanks to streaming, the top 40 is calculated differently. A top 10 hit means nothing anymore.

This. There was a time when pretty much everyone knew all the top ten hits.

by Anonymousreply 66September 15, 2021 5:54 PM

I dunno. Media is si segmented today, and we have so many choices, it’s difficult to have a common perception of culture in America today. However, make no mistake: for young people, social media is driving and creating a global youth culture. TikTok has massive influence over what is popular in music and Trends now, not only in the United States, but globally.

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote]The availability and plethora of listening choices puts the onus on the listener to keep up. It’s quite exhausting sometimes, and easy to feel like you’re getting left behind. Like I’m still in my 20s (not for long, but technically), and I have to make sure I regularly touch base with my Zoomer sister so I can at least keep a pinky nail on the pulse. There’s always something cool and fresh to discover, which makes it less of a daunting tedious prospect, but there’s still a lot of shit for every gold bar you find.

Something you have to look forward to: You're still a few years off but it will soon click that you don't need to keep your finger on the pulse of anything, just go with what makes you happy. And the exhaustion will disappear.

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2021 9:22 PM

R61 Bullshit. Nobody feels like "they have to keep up with the times". Music is entirely generational. I have always loathed hip hop and anything with auto tune. Top 40 hasn't done it for me in 20 years. And Boomers are stuck back in the 70s and 80s. What else'd explain the popularity of dino rock? 70s rock sucked.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2021 9:29 PM

I quite liked Doja Cat's "Say So" when I heard it, but it's few and far between for me with the top 40 now.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2021 9:30 PM

R69 The 80s were the best. The 90s didn't have as much variety but the music was still good. Don't listen to 70's pop much or at all but do enjoy the rock music from that period. I like 60s music. So I listen to music from every decade from the 60s on and the last 20 years has been a drastic decline in quality.

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2021 9:32 PM

Seriously Eldergay, Lizzo, Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez-- they're making the same sort of pop hits you all loved back in the 80s.

Same way Ed Sheeran is making the same sort of poppy-rock songs.

by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2021 9:33 PM

OK Millennial turd. Listing off a bunch of nobody "singers" will never change anyone's minds. Most older people are fairly closed in terms of what they like. I know I am.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote]I don't think music means as much to younger people as it did to me at their age.

I remember riding my BMX from the record store weekly clutching a bunch of the newest CDs I'd spent my allowance on. And I wasn't even considered a real music nerd. My best friend's room had CDs stacked from floor to ceiling. Watch teen movies from the 80s and 90s. It really was a special time.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote]It is interesting though, if you read comments on YouTube under older songs there are a lot of younger people decrying how bad their generaton's music is and wishing they had been around for stuff played in the70s, 80s and 90s, make of that what you will.

This happens a lot and it's really telling. I wonder, do kids nowadays have garage bands and learn to play instruments anymore?

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2021 2:23 AM

This is probably racist to say but in the 90s, you'd see a black singer and a white singer and automatically assume the black singer was better. Many had years of training behind them, be it growing up in gospel choirs or being part of a band.

But hip hop in the 90s was a really intelligent genre. You got the sense that these were people that read books and philosophized daily amongst themselves. It's hard to imagine a track like this becoming a hit today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2021 2:33 AM

Connie and Barbra were at the top of the heap in their time.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2021 2:55 AM

I don't really know any of the new Black "artists". I do love some good old Motown and the oldies like the Ink Spots and Etta James. The new shit is unharmonious and unmelodic but that goes for White artists too. It's just modern pop in general.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2021 3:10 AM

The Weeknd is pure, overrated, trash.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]The 80s were the best.

It's a matter of taste, of course, but my problem with a lot of the 80s was the production. It really irks me in a lot of instances. It's too glossy, attempts for everything to sound too perfect. The grunge movement of the 90s was a reaction against this (though now I listen back to grunge, I am amazed by how poppy it really is). But I think you are right that there was still heaps of variety in the 80s. I'm not a fan of the poppier parts of the 80s, but the less well known stuff has some really gems in there - bands like Cocteau Twins and Siouxsie and the Banshees for instance. And actually the VERY early 80s, like 1980/81 are some of my favourite periods for music ever. For a brief moment it seemed like any and every type of music could be popular.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2021 9:32 AM

[quote]do kids nowadays have garage bands and learn to play instruments anymore?

One of the theories I've heard as to why music is less interesting these days is that the people making it aren't as well versed in music theory, been to conservatories etc. They can play around with software, but don't really understand music and instruments. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's an interesting point of view.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2021 9:35 AM

R66 Absolutely. That's the reason Rhianna--who IMO is simply a singles artist because I haven't made it through an entire record of hers-- literally has 35 number ones. Chart positions are based on downloads (which of course is based on accessibility) Also the reason Drake has 10 singles in the top ten right now.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2021 9:36 AM

[quote]Black people used to have such good music, but they have effectively ruined Top 40 music. There are still some good black artists out there, such as The Weeknd. But most of the artists are nothing more than talentless, illiterate ghetto trash.

This is so racist, it's beyond disappointing that Datalounge has turned into such an ugly, stupid place.

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2021 9:37 AM

[quote]One of the theories I've heard as to why music is less interesting these days is that the people making it aren't as well versed in music theory, been to conservatories etc.

Ah yes, all those music theory courses Elvis took, the conservatories each member of The Supremes matriculated from, the comprehensive classic music education of the Bee Gees.

by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2021 9:39 AM

[quote] One of the theories I've heard as to why music is less interesting these days is that the people making it aren't as well versed in music theory, been to conservatories etc. They can play around with software, but don't really understand music and instruments. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's an interesting point of view.

Could be a factor but a bigger one is there's just not a lot of money to be made anymore.

Niche audiences, streaming. Why waste your time if there's not pot of gold?

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2021 11:16 AM

In her book written in the mid 00s I remember Tori Amos talking about the new contracts up and coming artists were being put on were these "360 contracts", where the record company could take a chunk of everything, including touring and merchandise, which is traditionally where artists were able to make all their money. So it sounds like you may be right there R85.

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2021 11:26 AM

I know this thread is pointing a finger at hip-hop and black music in general, but white music has gone to the dogs too. And not just in America, the UK used to have some great bands.

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2021 11:27 AM

It seems to be in more English speaking countries music is going to shit at the moment. There's some great stuff coming out of Francophone countries, I'm finding.

by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]My brother and I are doing a whole 90s nostalgia listening thing now,

Same. I'd forgotten this song even existed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2021 11:55 AM

R82: If we’re actually talking ‘literally’, Rihanna has 14 number ones, not 35. Agree on her being a singles artist. People play down Mariah’s 19 #1 singles saying most people barely remember 4-5 of them but at least she shifted the albums to go with it at her 90s peak and in 2005/6.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2021 11:58 AM

It's a pity Azealia Banks is so... well, you know. She's the only recent* hip-hop artist whose music I've enjoyed.

*And this is 10 years old "recent".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2021 12:00 PM

It sucks getting old doesnt it. I don't know any top 40 songs

by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2021 12:17 PM

This short clip of Anita Baker singing 'No One in the World' is indicative of how the industry has changed. It used to be important that you sound good on radio, looks were secondary. She would never get a look-in in this climate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2021 12:19 PM

[quote]It sucks getting old doesnt it. I don't know any top 40 songs

Start with Drake's album. Every song in the top 10 is from it.

by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2021 12:20 PM

Whenever I am in the care with my dad he listens to the First Wave station on Sirius

It is amazing how many different bands had hits in that era, many of them just one hit wonders.

Doesn't seem to happen anymore

by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2021 12:31 PM

^^First Wave is 70s and 80s New Wave and Punk

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2021 12:31 PM

Oh, I've never heard the term 'First Wave' before, but it sounds up my alley as that late 70s/early 80s stuff is probably my favourite.

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2021 12:34 PM

The station is called "First Wave" R97 - Sirius is satellite based subscription radio service aimed mostly at people in cars.

Not sure if it's a universal term or if it's just a clever name they came up with

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2021 12:47 PM

Thanks, R98!

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2021 12:49 PM

I agree OP, black music used to be Aretha, Prince, Luther Vandross, Sam Cooke, Whitney, now it's just a bunch of oversexed performers who can't sing, are trashy and superficial.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2021 1:02 PM

R48, ended the thread right there. As said earlier, Black culture is “cool” to rich white suburban kids and they drive the downloads for Kanye, 6ix9ine, and 21 Savage.

Still no comment about the mediocrity of white artists that are WIDELY celebrated Jack Harlow, Billie Ellish, etc. Dua Lipa does not count….

This thread is very much racist. You want intellectual HipHop today? Listen to J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino….

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2021 1:04 PM

R100, have you heard of SZA? Janelle Monae? Doja Cat??? (Not really sure that Doja can sing tho…)

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2021 1:06 PM

Just say y’all don’t know the good black music made today and just go…it’s not all going to be Top 40 because your white children want to hear Lil Yachty, Young Thug, and Lil Uzi Vert….

by Anonymousreply 103September 16, 2021 1:08 PM

Black rap music is so trashy that Trump could recruit 5 of the biggest hip hop rap stars to endorse him last year.

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2021 1:10 PM

It seems there hasn’t been a “song of the summer” since Blurred Lines in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 105September 16, 2021 1:31 PM

[quote] because your white children

I suspect the older gay men on Datalounge do not actually have children, white or otherwise.

Just a hunch.

by Anonymousreply 106September 16, 2021 1:40 PM

R82 Your own point of view is interesting! LOL. What a puke sandwich you are. "My points of view are always interesting". Dolt.

by Anonymousreply 107September 16, 2021 2:24 PM

[Quote]Still no comment about the mediocrity of white artists that are WIDELY celebrated Jack Harlow, Billie Ellish, etc. Dua Lipa does not count

With the exception of the mumbling whisperer Eilish, I have no clue who the others are and Dua Lipa sounds like a medical condition.

by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2021 2:27 PM

Billie Eilish has real artistic cred.

by Anonymousreply 109September 17, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] I'm sorry. Black people used to have such good music, but they have effectively ruined Top 40 music.

Don't blame black people-- they don't listen to that crap. It's made for and marketed to white people. I live in an urban area that's majority black, and all my neighbors and acquaintances listen to R&B, gospel music, and jazz. Same when I lived in a rural black area.

by Anonymousreply 110September 17, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]Still no comment about the mediocrity of white artists that are WIDELY celebrated

They're trying to blame the black minority for the decline of the majority white culture.

by Anonymousreply 111September 17, 2021 2:15 AM

R93: thanks for that Anita Baker post, I’d never heard the song before (I’m sure I’ve given her albums a skim to see if anything stands out but must have missed it)

by Anonymousreply 112September 17, 2021 4:37 AM

You can't separate black music from American music. It IS American music.

by Anonymousreply 113September 17, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote] It seems there hasn’t been a “song of the summer” since Blurred Lines in 2013

Butter by BTS won MTV's Song of the Summer.

This other song almost won. I like it better because it has more angst and has a better melody.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 17, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote]Billie Eilish has real artistic cred.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115September 17, 2021 5:42 AM

^ She does have her own style and she and her brother have detailed their creative process. Whether you like it or not is up to you. But she is much more of an artist than most of her contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 116September 17, 2021 1:34 PM

Do people still listen to radio? I havent owned a working radio in decades. All my music is streamed although I still have MP3's around for when I have no net

I didnt know the Top 40 was still a thing. TIL

by Anonymousreply 117September 17, 2021 2:44 PM

R114 You found a melody in that autotuned fucking garbage? You're scum.

by Anonymousreply 118September 17, 2021 3:06 PM

I am surprised a guy named "V8" does not drive a car, R117 (Unless you're named after the tomato juice drink)

That's where most radio listening takes place.

by Anonymousreply 119September 17, 2021 3:12 PM

R119 I do drive, both my cars have sound systems that probably have radio but I never use it, stream music from my phone into the car sound system. My main car I have deactivated the auto aerial as it makes an annoying noise at speed when its up, so radio in that probably doesnt work anyway.

I havent listened to radio in my car since the late 90's

by Anonymousreply 120September 17, 2021 3:20 PM

Middle-aged people bought Top 40 singles up until the 90s. Back then there was a broader notion of what “popular music” entailed. You had teenyboppers, AOR-Rock, AOR-pop, more edgy types of pop/rock (new wave, metal, grunge), country, dance-pop, the odd re-released nostalgia song, etc. But now everything is geared towards the very young (people younger than18).

by Anonymousreply 121September 17, 2021 3:26 PM

I quite like Billie Eilish's Bond theme song.

[quote]But now everything is geared towards the very young (people younger than18).

Which is such an interesting choice because they don't tend to have disposable income.

It seems to me we have reached a point where it's so incredibly obvious that pop music is generated to sell with little concern over it's musicality. However, at the same time perhaps it doesn't matter because we have so much access to basically any music we want. "Pop music" really doesn't mean anything anymore.

by Anonymousreply 122September 17, 2021 8:55 PM

I love Drake

by Anonymousreply 123September 17, 2021 9:05 PM

R122 watch The Other Two.

by Anonymousreply 124September 17, 2021 9:15 PM

I really do think top 40 music is geared toward youth and people with more money than taste. Top 40 is on commercial stations. I can't scroll from one end of the radio channel spectrum to the other without hearing some homogeneous autotune sounds. Even the college radio station here has 60% of its music programs labelled with hip-hop, and the Black population here is 7%.

I listen to the non-English-language multicultural stations on my radio, and online streams for funk, jazz, R&B, blues, reggae, dub, soul, dance, Motown,.

I wonder why some here construct a far-spectrum straw man argument like "you must like country music if you think there's too much hip-hop." What if 75% of one's CD collection is Verve, Blue Note, Okeh, Motown? Do Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughan, Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith = hoedown?

by Anonymousreply 125September 17, 2021 9:27 PM

You’re an old soul dude

by Anonymousreply 126September 17, 2021 9:35 PM

I was briefly excited at the charts again around 2008 when Gaga, Perry, Rihanna, Britney, and Pink were ruling the charts and Eurodance seemed primed for a comeback, but everything went to shit only a few years later when Drake, Kanye, and Bieber hit the scene.

by Anonymousreply 127September 17, 2021 9:37 PM

Not to say that any of those ladies' most recent work was top quality, but none of their latest albums had any staying power even though there were a lot of decent singles that should have made more of a dent. Madonna's last album was decent as well but that totally flopped. Can't really blame them for the awful state of pop music today.

by Anonymousreply 128September 17, 2021 9:41 PM

How is it the OP is greyed out with 44 upvotes?

by Anonymousreply 129September 17, 2021 9:42 PM

Not hip hop

Black artist

Likely to be in top 40

DLers will hate-hiss on it because successful out gay man

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 17, 2021 9:57 PM

I am huge fan of Khalid

by Anonymousreply 131September 17, 2021 10:17 PM

Fuck you r8. Fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 132September 18, 2021 12:22 AM

I've been reading this thread with much interest; I think decentralization & streaming opportunities have in reality relegated the "Top 40" to another time and the "music" we see there is simply placement via corporations who at the very least are tone deaf, and don't give a shit about what is playing under the guise of "music", as long as the $ roll in . . . I spend my $ on my Digital Concert Hall subscription, & woke this morning to a sublime live performance of "The Firebird"/Stravinsky by the Berlin Philharmonic; right now I'm listening to Randy Crawford's "Street Life"; in another time, the "Top 40" meant something else--just perhaps it will again in the future if real music returns . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote]I lived through the 80s and 90s. Current popular music always seems bad. It’s only good in retrospect after the dreadful stuff is weeded out and the better music survives.

This is true. Not too long ago I looked at the Billboard Hot 100 year-end singles for the 1990s. You can go to the link and look at each year for yourself. I had forgotten how much absolute SHIT music there was in that decade, and how popular it was. I only remembered the good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 12:25 AM

R134 I felt just the opposite. Just looked at the top 100 of 1990 and I can honestly say I enjoy about 80% of it.

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2021 12:31 AM

r34, saying Black people ruined Top 40 music because you personally don't care for the amount of Hip-Hop in the charts is blatant racism.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 12:52 AM

R135 Yes. In 1990 I knew 90% of the songs in the top 100. Now I haven't known many top 100 in the last 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Lil Nas X is like Andy Warhol. The idea of him more interesting than the actual stuff he creates.

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 1:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!