Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do Fraus exist in other countries?

Are they just an American phenomenon?

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 12:00 PM

Seeing as how frau is a german word, I would think so!

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 3:10 PM

Japanese fraus like to prepare and compete with each other by preparing elaborate and cute bento lunch boxes.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 3:11 PM

I'm guessing there might be few in Germany, Austria and Switzerland but the real question is do they have Karens?

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 3:14 PM

I can attest to a high frau contingency among Hungarian women. Every illness under the sun that she has is incurable, women's magazines all over with fat food and cakes, lots of tacky bric-a-brac (they show disdain for Italian and modernist designs), mom jeans, birkenstocks, lots of back and forth in supermarkets (especially seen in French ones), right wing politics, and overweight with equally overweight husbands. Can be seen among other Eastern Europeans a mile away and always stick out. Buy clothes at supersize and hypermarkets. No makeup and short hair that is buzzed in the back and spiked at the top. A living Karen meme.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 3:17 PM

I can see a lot of Canadian women being into the Live Love Laugh lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 3:21 PM

OP, do you even know what "frau" means? Do you know that it's not an English word? It's literally borrowed from another language.

Are you always this stupid?

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 3:25 PM

I nominate this thread title as one of the most stupid questions ever asked on DL.

"Do you think mademoiselles also live in France?"

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 4:10 PM

They exist mainly in developed, westernized nations. Women in the Yemen and Sudan don't have time for materialist bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:16 PM

I can confirm plenty of fraus in Italy. And certainly distinct from the stereotypical Italian Mamma. Same in France.

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2021 3:55 AM

Fuck you and your virulent misogyny, OP. I find your post highly offensive. I won't stand for it. All you and your fellow gay women-haters will accomplish is driving away the straight women like me who post here. WE HAVE BEEN YOUR ALLIES when no one else wanted anything else to do with you. There should be room in the sandbox for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2021 4:01 AM

^Lesbians hate Fraus too?

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2021 4:07 AM

R10 - nobody makes fun of fraus that are liberal and support gay rights. The ones we are referring to are the Repuke ones.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2021 10:12 AM

R9 - the worst are in Rome. Men's shoes, ugly clothes...bathe maybe once a month. Very openly racist and anti-gay. Hated their attitude.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2021 10:14 AM

Fraus abound in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2021 10:19 AM

Do the posters objecting that "frau" is a German word really think OP was using it in its literal sense "woman"?

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2021 10:24 AM

R15 They are a bit literal. The first time I heard using the word frau as an insult was here on Datalounge. I'm still not sure if "frau" is every woman, or just some particular kind?

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2021 10:31 AM

You don't get brownie point for not being a homophobe, R10. Huge numbers of straight women have opposed all gay rights - who do you think starts the 'What about the children' scares?

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2021 10:36 AM

On DL, "frau" is a distinct type of woman. Think Karens or busybodies...they're obnoxious and define themselves solely by their role as wife and/or mother. They're basic. Cheesecake Factory is their Mecca.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2021 10:38 AM

LIVE LAUGH LOVE

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2021 10:40 AM

"Frau" as used on DL is obviously a shortened version of "hausfrau" with all the usual connotations that word has in American usage (and a few extra DL ones). It's not used in the literal sense of any "woman" or "wife."

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2021 10:40 AM

R17 - there are non-homophobes who oppose gay rights? So women I know either are women who support gay rights BECAUSE they aren't homophobic or they oppose them because of homophobia. Also, a female homophobe is not natural imho...why? Women, by their very nature love men. This is why you see liberal women fawn over gay actors, co-workers, etc. Hence, a homophobic woman is a woman that has allowed the men (be it a husband or a religious dogma (and most are invented by men)) to tell her to hate and oppose gay people. Women seek safety and many are too afraid to say no to the dogma. It's not an excuse anymore than than men who sell out politically for gain. Instinctually, however, women aren't homophobic. A good proof of this is the fandom of openly gay artists like Freddie Mercury and George Michael...about 50% older or middle aged females. I see them on social media posting picture of said artists and their partners...I see my mom and her friends talk about "poor Gianni" and "poor Michael...he never got over losing Anselmo". Hell, they even argue about which partner was good, toxic, the one true love, handsomest ..it's kind of funny actually.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2021 10:53 AM

I think Fraus are actually more common in Germany and France than in the USA, particularly in Germany where there were government incentives to be a stay-at-home mom. I suspect the question really is about "Karens". Those seem to be a truly American species.

I will add that from my own experience and from the content of German and French women's magazines, they have a better class of Frau than in the USA. The crafts and handwork are more skill based and less kindergarten crafts. The recipes actually require some kitchen skills.

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2021 10:53 AM

Don't hate on bentos, @r2.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2021 10:57 AM

"Women, by their very nature love men."

Excuse me, R21?

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2021 10:57 AM

R24 - sorry, I forgot to say "our lesbian DL-ers excluded".

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2021 10:59 AM

I know this person has been named before but I must mention her again. The FRAUEST FRAU ever was the woman from New Jersey who told the good looking cop from Tenafly , New Jersey- DON'T CALL ME MISS. I'M COMMISSIONER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2021 11:10 AM

[quote]Women, by their very nature love men.

Oh my fucking god. Get the fuck OUT.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2021 11:14 AM

F&F the disgusting conservatard at R21.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2021 11:15 AM

R21 is posting from the 50s... the 1850s.

Next he'll tell us women love having babies and wearing dresses. I'm sure he'll cite his mom and other "middle aged women," with more cultural references to dead rock stars from 40 years ago.

For sheer batshit oddities, this place never disappoints.

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2021 11:28 AM

Well look at the functional illiterates. I said many women are coerced , raised to be, or indoctrinated into being homophobic by conservative pr religious dogma..same as males. How that makes me a "conservaTARD" (notice the use of that denigrating term with zero self-awareness), posting from the 1950's (Huh?) is beyond me. Also, R27 is either a misandrist or mysogiinistic gay man. My references to "dead rock stars" points out SPECIFICALLY that even women from 40 years ago who weren't indoctrinated/brainwashed by religion and politics don't just randomly hate gay men.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2021 11:34 AM

Sudanese fraus cradle mugs of pumpkin spiced goat blood.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2021 11:34 AM

I put some pumpkin spiced coconut milk in my coffee DO, it was awful. Shoulda used goat blood.

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2021 11:44 AM

Do International fraus put their feet on the dash whilst hubby drives?

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2021 11:59 AM

R21 is not all that wrong. Women are reslly not as homophobic as mrn are, at least not here in Balkans. The ones who are, are the zealous realigious ones instructed by the church. The preast instructed them that gays are the greatest threat to humanity before he went to suck the minister's dick.

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2021 12:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!