Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - a West Hollywood Mid-Century on the Market for the First Time!

I hate everything about it. What sayeth the best and brightest of Datalounge?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2021 1:40 PM

There's only four photos, but thats OK, they're enough

Its butt ugly. I dont quite hate everything about it like OP, but I certainly dont like it

by Anonymousreply 1September 14, 2021 4:07 AM

Click through, there are more than 4 photos.

by Anonymousreply 2September 14, 2021 4:08 AM

I rather liked it.

by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 4:09 AM

R2, I refreshed the page, you're right, there are more photos

Its still butt ugly. Worse if anything

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 4:26 AM

Who removed the shag carpet from the stairsteps?

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 4:29 AM

The house is pleasant and livable but for one issue: the view from the dining room and kitchen is staring right up at a steep face of clay/soil. I have a pronounced fear of landslides (having grown up on a mountainside).

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 4:40 AM

Great potential. Obviously needs work Kitchen is 40 years old but seems workable for time being. Paneling is cheap, obviously updating of fixtures needed.

That staircase is a killer for children.

But overall it has good be wonderful with the windows and different levels.

I like it.

Where's the pool?

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 4:43 AM

Hate the kitchen and bathrooms, but love the rest. So much sunlight.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 4:46 AM

Is it walking distance to the Abbey?

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 4:47 AM

I love it, except the kitchen, but I don't care much about kitchens, so I love it

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 4:47 AM

Hideous - and I know my stuff. And I was alive when this boring little place was new.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 5:54 AM

^ What does that mean, "and I know my stuff"? I know my stuff and I think it's a great house, so you're wrong

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 6:08 AM

Technically, that's not in West Hollywood. It's in Los Angeles, above the Sunset Strip.

Kitchen was clearly redone in the 80s. It ruins the mid-century modern aesthetic. But it cold be redone. Kitchen window looking out at a cliff doesn't offer much of a view, but that's what happens when you build on the side of a mountain.

Cheap paneling seems to have been added in the 1970s when that was in vogue. Wonder what the walls looked like originally?

Other than that, I really like the house.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 6:09 AM

Compass says it's Beverly Hills

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 14, 2021 6:23 AM

It's not my style. The inside is nicer than the outside. The hillside and all the plants and vines are a minus for me. I feel like I'm not cool for not liking it. Alas ... I like something that feels more solid and bunker-like, yet cozy.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 6:36 AM

It's on a great little street, just west of Doheny, north of Sunset. By the Greystone Manson.

I happen to love it. As others have said, the kitchen sucks. But I don't cook.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 6:50 AM

this size use to be a renter. I don't hate it. If someone was paying my rent, I would live there. It looks like a nice office for a creative type. No pool. A big concern. It seems like a small space for a main home, and for that price.

That Kitchen has to go.

by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 7:16 AM

there is no pool. I think i'll pass. The kitchen is god awlful and I am concern about the small space and outdoor space. Mama needs to entertain.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 7:18 AM

Odd and would seem to be deceitful if they are main listing agent, that Compass gives it a 90210 address and BH address, given that every other website including non-real estate listing sites (see link) have it as 90069

House is okay. Instance of a place looking too personalized for someone's specific taste. Did not blow me away because no easily usable outdoor space and mediocre views. Hard to tell flow from photos too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 7:29 AM

Hid E. Us the buyer?

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 8:56 AM

Way too much brown. It's quite average, no thanks.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 8:59 AM

It's not my sort of house at all. I wouldn't buy it, rather I wouldn't buy it with the intent to live there more than a few years, but I love aspects of the house. The hillside location from the street is superb, like the projected volumes of the house that jut forward and the intertwined dense plantings. It's rather beautiful and sculptural and practical for its privacy and must have a wonder apart from the world feel inside despite its proximity to other houses and buildings. The large expanses of glass and the contrast of light and shade and integration with the paved patio area are great.

The dark brown paneling is especially miserable and would have to go. Obviously the kitchen is neither original nor a contributing element in the house and needs a smart design to complement the period of the house. The kitchen window views onto the crumbly looking cliff is the worst thing about the place because there's nothing that can be done about it. That's the view, and rather an unnerving one. There are some small details to sort out and restore to the period of the house, and a better furnishing scheme would go a long way, especially after getting rid of the dark brown paneling. The wall-to-wall carpet makes a certain sense in the house. I wouldn't add any more certainly, but I would replace some of what's there with a sisal type material. Not especially period but somehow complementary and more substantial and fitting. I expected some flagstone or terrazzo or tile floor on the main level, and it might have been nice. There it would be tempting to rip up much or all of the wall-to-wall and lay more wood flooring or something finished.

It wouldn't kill the place to have some some large and colorful paintings hung on the wall, a relief from the brown on brown on brown.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 9:45 AM

"It's Bird Streets adjacent. I got this."---J.A.

"I love when vintage MCM by a renowned architect is preserved."---J. F.

"It's a tad beyond our normal bailiwick, but it affords us a real opportunity to expand."---D. Or J.

"You know, we don't have this style in New York, so I am at quite the disadvantage here opp, but I'm sure I can get full ask, 30 days, all cash, no contingencies."---F.

"Don't look at me! I'm the Malibu Maven!"---M. H.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 9:47 AM

I love it, but I know I would get tired of all that wood paneling and brick within a month of living there, especially in the living room where the different kinds of wood and paneling don't match each other. I suspect it originally had carpeting and they took it up, which is understandable, but it looks terrible with a wood floor. You'd need rugs and absolutely NO wooden furniture. Also, the bedroom is blah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 9:50 AM

R23 here: Delete "opp." Don't know whence!

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 9:53 AM

I didn’t see any still photos; it was a virtual tour. I got a little lost, trying to maneuver the upstairs.

I loved the camel wallpaper in the powder room.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 10:16 AM

It needs a lot of cosmetic work and the kitchens and bathrooms need re-doing, but I love it.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 10:21 AM

Here is what seems to be a more navigable link with more photos and a floor plan (last image.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 10:31 AM

Books and a tiny flammable wooden home right next to a fireplace that shows signs of regularly getting out of hand. Guess the owners liked to keep things spicy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 10:35 AM

to me it looks like a part time bachelor pad for a creative type. It does need one weird door leading to a pool deck. Too bad it doesn't; would have loved to see what these people did with a pool area option. It's like a homage to Mr. Brady.

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 10:48 AM

Oh God! So hideous I fainted. Push it in and start over.

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2021 11:15 AM

I quite liked it, esp some of the furniture and decorative touches.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 11:34 AM

I wonder which famous architect was responsible for the cheap contractor grade cabinets from the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 2:05 PM

It's definitely in LA (although very close to the BH and WH borders.) 90069 is an LA ZIP Code, although that isn't a determining factor since the Post Office assigns ZIP Code boundaries and they don't always match up with city boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 10:11 PM

90069 is the primary zip code for the west side of West Hollywood as well as portions of the Hollywood Hills. The Abbey in WeHo is in the 90069 zip code. The WeHo 24 Hour Fitness is in 90069. So is Barney's Beanery.

This house is near the WeHo and Beverly Hills borders but definitely in Los Angeles. Its near the Bird streets, which are all above the Sunset Strip.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote]Obviously the kitchen is neither original nor a contributing element in the house and needs a smart design to complement the period of the house.

I like the house and hate the kitchen. I wonder if Trace Lehnhoff could redo the kitchen in such a manner. His IG stories feature all kinds of MCM items, rooms, and houses.

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2021 1:35 AM

It's awful. Take a look at the street in all its glory. Deadend, no place to park, and looks like an overfilled waste bin waiting to catch fire.

by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2021 2:18 AM

Like most MCM "gems" it's a tatty, unsightly horror.

The cheapness of the materials, old dull paneling, lousy tile work and endless wasted space with the mandatory floating staircase to break a hip on. These homes are always prized by upper-class elderly Jewish people who read the NY Times and listen to NPR yet have awful taste.

I suppose one might salvage it by gutting it and going modern, but tearing it down might be kinder.

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2021 3:15 AM

R34, 90069 is a West Hollywood zip code (mostly).

I know because it's my zip code.

The street is question is a three minute walk from my house. Describing the address as bordering Beverly Hills is 100% correct. It might be the very street that is the border between BH and West Hollywood. If not, one street over.

If it happens to be an LA "finger" just because of weird zoning rules? No one from that area would ever consider it LA proper. It would be called Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, or Hollywood Hills West.

by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2021 4:21 AM

There's a lot that I like and a lot that I don't like. Most of the paneling, the kitchen, and about half of the furnishings are ass.

by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2021 4:53 AM

R38, you are spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2021 1:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!