Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Your Worst Health Crisis

What has it been? It doesn’t strictly have to be physical.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 11:11 PM

Is very private question but I will say some dog do not like the poosey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 11:31 PM

Definitely mental.

1. A day-long, debilitating panic attack that you DL girls helped me get through 💋

2. Attempting suicide and failing. The mental breakdown around that time was monumental

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 11:32 PM

detached retinas at 21 lot one eye.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 11:37 PM

^^^Lost

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 11:37 PM

Kidney stones. It was like trying to pass a Subaru.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 11:40 PM

Covid. February 2020. I started having diarrhea at work. When I got home I was feeding the cats and thought omg, I'm going to throw-up. 7 or 8 heaves of greenis-brown puke. I decided to go right to bed but the diarrhea came back. Then I passed-out for a minute on the toilet.

When I came to, I grabbed a plastic trash can, a roll of paper towels and a glass of water and repaired to the bedroom. For the next 3 days I was in and out of consciousness. I couldn't keep anything down, and could only lay in one certain position or I'd puke. Hallucinations, chills, achy torso, extreme fatigue, chills, dizziness, headache, sweats... and I had to pack my underwear with paper towels or I would have messed the bed.

Somehow I survived alone. No one was really talking about my symptoms until a few months later. It was always 'respiratory distress', which I didn't have.

When the vaccine became available I was first in line.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 11:49 PM

Endocarditis from heroin addiction. I could have and should have died. After that it took about 2 more years for me to pull myself together but I did. Been off all drugs for 10 years now.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 11:58 PM

I had a mini stroke 9 years ago. I was sitting at my computer, and all of a sudden felt like my arms were floating. Then half of my face collapsed. I knew something was really wrong. I stood up and went into the living room where my partner was. I was trying to tell him something was wrong, but the words came out like jibberish. He had a look of panic on his face. It didn't last long, but was taken to the emergency room and while waiting on tests it happened again. Stayed in the hospital overnight. I am ok, Luckily it has not happened since.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 12:01 AM

I got hit by a car when I was a teenager. I remember very little after seeing the headlighs getting closer and realising it was going to hit me. Apparently the impact sent me flying over a couple of lanes of traffic. I lost consciousness immediately, and learned later that some onlookers thought I was dead because someone covered my head to shelter me from torrential rain.

I woke up in hospital, being cut out of my clothes, with most of my face cut or grazed. I had a broken arm and broken ribs, but was really lucky not to be more severely injured. I was sent home after a few days, but then was readmitted to hospital with concussion. For almost two weeks, I was simply dazed and remote from the world. I kept falling asleep and laughed hysterically for no reason. I had al sorts of tests in hospital, but no reason was found for the weird behaviour other than concusssion, so I was just kept under observation until it faded away.

by Anonymousreply 9September 14, 2021 12:07 AM

Urinary Bladder Infection. I was painfully pissing red urine mixed with blood and chunks of tissues from the bladder.

by Anonymousreply 10September 14, 2021 12:11 AM

Viral pharyngitis with a fever of 107 put me in the hospital for a night. I was completely delusional, sobbing, couldn’t tell where I was. Literally had no idea I was in my own apartment when I called my father to come rescue me. I just kept crying and saying I didn’t know where I was. This was 30 years ago

And I survived non-COVID pneumonia a week ago.

by Anonymousreply 11September 14, 2021 12:22 AM

Debilitated depression.

by Anonymousreply 12September 14, 2021 12:24 AM

Had a psychotic episode in my 20s and was deposited in a psychiatric ward when my family called the cops on me after I told them I was walking to San Diego (I lived 500 miles away). The cop who stopped me on the sidewalk on my journey and convinced me to get in his car was very nice. He drove me to the hospital after a pleasant conversation when I asked him what sign he was (pisces). I was certifiably psychotic and they gave me drugs and I recovered. My diagnosis was atypical psychosis. The staff was shitty. They treated us like losers and creeps. I swore when I got out I would help these incarcerated people but I never did.

by Anonymousreply 13September 14, 2021 12:29 AM

Ulcerative colitis at 16. I was bleeding and spending most of my day in the bathroom. I weighed in at 116 at one point and had to go to the ER several times. Did homeschooling for a year due to it. Prednisone made me anxious and depressed and gave me dangerously high blood pressure. I told every medication known for it and nothing. Finally, an acupuncturist saved me despite my skepticism and with the herbs and teas and diet I was able to live again and graduate with my class. It was a terror. My sister and my parents driving me around to a video or bookstore were the only outings I took as I had to be near a restroom all the time.

by Anonymousreply 14September 19, 2021 9:37 PM

Heart attack and then open-heart surgery (quadruple bypass).

by Anonymousreply 15September 19, 2021 9:46 PM

My neck, my back, my pussy, and my crack...

by Anonymousreply 16September 19, 2021 9:47 PM

Complications from a routine liposuction.

by Anonymousreply 17September 19, 2021 9:49 PM

Asbestos Eyeballs courtesy of The DL!

YOU GOD DAMN CUNTS!!!

by Anonymousreply 18September 19, 2021 9:50 PM

Getting an entire Virginia ham caught in my windpipe.

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2021 9:50 PM

This happened to me fairly recently. I overdid with an abs trainer of the electric stimulation variety. You should only use it for 15 minutes and I had the glorious idea to use it for almost two hours. One day later, I had the worst pain in my belly area and somehow circulatory problems that made me almost faint whenever I took any action. The drama queen I am, I called for an ambulance to drive me to the hospital where I waited, while still in tremendous pain, almost four hours to get checked out by a doctor who just gave me ibuprofen and some other muscle relaxant. Yes, I waited four fucking hours for some stupid ibuprofen I'd had at home thanks to some tooth issue a couple of months back. I could've taken that right from the start and wouldn't have suffered so long. It took one week for the pain to go away, and I couldn't eat anything solid other than biscotte or the pain would be so bad not even the drugs would help. It was a total nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2021 9:51 PM

Humph. The price we pay for vanity.

I hope those abs are washboard flat.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2021 10:09 PM

r21. I'm afraid I'm a stereotypical DLer. No abs to speak of. It was a sad attempt for me to lose some weight and take care of some liver problem my doctor told me to be concerned about. I lost some weight that way, but still no abs. Not gonna use that abs device any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2021 10:15 PM

You get abs by dieting. So start starving yourself, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2021 10:18 PM

I had a MRI to look for any problem related to my hearing loss and vertigo attacks and they discovered an asymptomatic brain aneurysm behind my left eye. I had an endovascular coiling, which is a really cool procedure. There was no recovery to speak of, I've had a few follow up diagnostics since then and it's now a done deal.

by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2021 11:01 PM

Melanoma. Beginning stages, but still required surgery with a five-inch slice with stitches down my arm.

by Anonymousreply 25September 20, 2021 12:16 AM

SVT, a type of tachycharida. My heart was racing and wouldn't stop...finally I went to the ER and suddenly I was surrounded by like 9 people. My heart was going 200 beats per minute (normal is around 60-70). Very scary. Got some medication and eventually had surgery to fix it.

by Anonymousreply 26September 20, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote] I couldn't eat anything solid other than biscotte

Now, that is a crisis.

by Anonymousreply 27September 20, 2021 12:22 AM

Late diagnosis HIV, with Cryptoccocal meningitis which is a fungal infection of the CNS. It was treated with Amphotericin B which is essentially chemo my doctor said. It caused kidney failure and almost made me go insane. I also had MAC, mycobacterium avian complex, a bacterial infection. And thrush of course to round it off. I lost down to 114 lbs. I still have short term memory loss from it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 20, 2021 12:39 AM

R5, that’s the best description of kidney stones I’ve ever heard. I laughed my head off. I feel for you, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 29September 20, 2021 12:48 AM

Multiple sclerosis at age 59. Totally screwed with my plans for traveling during retirement.

by Anonymousreply 30September 20, 2021 1:14 AM

Colorectal cancer, followed by a metastasis to a kidney. Had two colonectomies and had to wear a colostomy bag for a year. The indignities of life... The surgeons were able to reattach the colon and no more bag, cancer gone.

The whole thing was a four-year odyssey of chemo, radiation, multiple colonoscopies and scans, follow-up appointments, etc.. It was a part-time and sometimes full-time job. The high-tech, laparoscopic kidney surgery to remove a small tumor was a walk in the park. I am very lucky to have had great health insurance and access to a world-class university medical center -- they saved my life.

I was told that they saw a small kidney stone -- nothing to worry about for now. Then a year later, I had what r5 described. Took a Lyft to the ER, thinking that all of the artificial scaffolding and tissue holding my innards together were now twisted and that I would die -- or worse -- have that fucking shit bag again.

The ER was crowded, but they put me in front of the line right away. BP was 210/ over something. It took one of the resident docs an hour to read through my medical chart while I was in absolute agony. Was advised that beds were tight and it would be best if I stayed on a gurney at the nurses' station in the middle of the ER so they all could keep an eye on me. Was later hoisted onto a CT and scanned.

The whole ER was tense. A nurse told me that with the type of surgery I had, sometimes the colon can become twisted, and cause complications -- including sepsis. I think they were dreading having to gather an emergency surgical team late on a Wednesday night.

When the radiologist came out to announce "It's a kidney stone!" there were smiles and a sense of relief (including mine) in the whole facility. I was given some Valium and the stone finally passed in a few hours. The pain left as fast as it came on.

A gay Murse told me I'd need a ride from a relative or friend home, none of whom were available so late, so opened up Scruff to see who had Woofed me recently, was nearby, and online. Gave him my phone and said, "Which one should I ask first?" Was kept for another few hours until the meds wore off and was allowed to take a Lyft back home.

2.5 years in remission and grateful every day.

by Anonymousreply 31September 20, 2021 2:31 AM

R28 - wow, that sounds intense. How on earth didn't they catch it before it got to such a late stage?

by Anonymousreply 32September 20, 2021 8:45 AM

Stevens Johnson Syndrome

Basically the skin dies and starts to detach (also the linings of your internal organs). It's caused by an allergic reaction to medication. Was unconscious in the burns unit for about 2 weeks but made it through relatively unscathed. My lungs are a bit fucked with scar tissue, but it's not that bad really. Could have been a lot worse.

At least I qualified for an early vaccine, so that was definitely a bonus. :)

by Anonymousreply 33September 20, 2021 8:56 AM

Allergic reaction to iodine contrast solution used during an intravenous pyelogram (kidney x-ray.) The nurse in charge was supposed to test me for allergy, but apparently couldn't be bothered. My blood pressure plummeted, I was suddenly covered with hives, and I itched like mad, plus breathing became difficult. I was supposed to be tested for allergy before the procedure, but apparently the nurse in charged couldn't be bothered. I remember vividly raised voices in the corridor as the doctor chewed her out for the error. An injection of benadryl eased things, but I spent the next couple of days in a hospital bed with nurses taking my blood pressure frequently.

by Anonymousreply 34September 20, 2021 10:59 AM

I find hospital beds very comfortable. I wish I had one at home.

by Anonymousreply 35September 20, 2021 11:16 AM

A very deep and dark depression that would come like clockwork every summer, back when I was in my late twenties.

A somewhat late term abortion, which was extremely painful, both physically and emotionally.

by Anonymousreply 36September 20, 2021 4:47 PM

BALDING!!!

by Anonymousreply 37September 20, 2021 6:31 PM

I'm sure something dreadful is looming.

In the meantime, summer 2018 I was on vacation, and decided to get a pedicure at the spa. Big mistake - the lady gouged my big toe really hard, it bled, and hurt for a few days. By the time I was flying home, my toe was swollen and infected. It was horrid. I was on antibiotics, had to have the side of my toenail burned off, etc. I will never get a pedicure again.

by Anonymousreply 38September 20, 2021 6:33 PM

Did anyone think “”I would rather just die than continue to suffer through this” Like that cancer treatment - I honestly think I may have just said I’m done after going through part of that. I’ve had horrible back spasms for weeks - and I remember frequently feeling I’d be ok with ending it now to stop the suffering.

by Anonymousreply 39September 20, 2021 6:36 PM

cancer, 41 years ago. I had an operation and all the cancer removed, but they accidently killed me on the table (they cut my main artery when they started) so cancer was completely removed but they did damage on the way in and out which I have had to deal with my entire life and as I get older it gets worse.

by Anonymousreply 40September 20, 2021 6:42 PM

R40 Wow, I wouldn't think getting killed would get worse as one gets older. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 41September 20, 2021 7:01 PM

Paralyzing Fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 42September 20, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] but they accidently killed me on the table

And yet you live to tell the tale! That's remarkable!

by Anonymousreply 43September 20, 2021 7:24 PM

I got started early: Metastatic thyroid cancer when I was in my early 20s, but it was treated with surgery/RAI therapy. I had open-heart surgery at 30 because of a congenital defect. My valve was bad and I developed an aortic aneurysm because of it. Both were rough for different reasons, but my heart surgery went more smoothly than the thyroidectomy, which ended up becoming exploratory once they'd opened me up on the table and found there was more cancer than they'd thought.

by Anonymousreply 44September 20, 2021 7:29 PM

they did kill me on the table but Obviously they were able to revive me. The only thing the anesthetist said to me in recovery was "Thank God you're alive".

you know it wasn't a joke. I don't know why you always have to be so nasty

by Anonymousreply 45September 20, 2021 7:38 PM

R32 It wasn't them who missed it, it was a very stupid ME, I just never got tested until I crashed and burned. Most gay guys never get tested or don't test enough until it's too late, sometimes accidents and passion happen and people need to get tested.

by Anonymousreply 46September 20, 2021 8:30 PM

Today: an itch in my crack whilst in public.

by Anonymousreply 47September 20, 2021 8:45 PM

Pancreatic cancer resulting in a Whipple surgery, chemotherapy, pneumonia, infection and abdominal abscesses (with a drainage tube for six weeks) and a bile duct obstruction from scarring that required a catheter through the liver for 16 months leaving me with a scar that looks like a gunshot wound on my side. Good times but 10 years later, I'm still here.

by Anonymousreply 48September 20, 2021 11:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!