Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What would have happened if the World Trade Center hadn't collapsed from the plane crashes?

Would firefighters have trudged-up dozens of stories to put the fire out? Would the whole building have b3come an inferno (like this one)? Would survivors be trapped up there for days- perhaps weeks- before being rescued? Perhaps from the roof?

Might the upper stories twist and buckle but not fall, leaning precariously over lower Manhattan?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 6:18 PM

I don’t know but I lived down there, was home when it happened, and remember being highly disturbed (albeit briefly) that there would be only one tower. It was not computing in my brain. When I was finally out on a police boat and evacuated to New Jersey, I remember watching the plumes from across the river and thinking the entire area was going to go up in flames, including my building.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 11:36 PM

It would still have crashed if the fires had been more quickly addressed. Just not so soon. The building was unique in New York with its structural support on the outside. With whole sides of support severed it was only a matter of time..

Moot point since the 757 when it crashed spilled out about 10,000 gallons of jet fuel. There was no possibility of extinguishing that fire spreading down so many stories.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 11:50 PM

But steel buildings rarely if ever collapse. And this one was built like a fortress, esp. the core.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 14, 2021 3:58 AM

There is a good documentary on how the towers were built. They used engineering method that were outdated soon after they were built. Something about how the floors were connected or some such techie stuff I do not remember or really understand. Something about the building allowed it to escape certain building regs.

My partner at the time was a retired AF pilot who also had a masters in engineering and told me at the time that there is no way with that fuel that the building would have stayed standing. Whatever the thingies were that held it together would be melted obviously causing it to collapse.

by Anonymousreply 4September 14, 2021 4:59 AM

[quote] But steel buildings rarely if ever collapse. And this one was built like a fortress, esp. the core.

Have there been a lot of steel buildings hit with a fully fuel-laden jumbo jet that didn’t collapse? I’d like to see those.

by Anonymousreply 5September 14, 2021 12:33 PM

I don't think anyone would have been able to put the fire out on those top floors. They would probably have tried to clear the smoke enough to land on the roof and get into the building to try to find survivors, but I'm not sure they could have managed it.

It would probably have been like Grenfell Tower, where we could see people flickering the lights and waving out the window until finally the smoke and fire overcame them and they died, because no one could rescue them.

by Anonymousreply 6September 14, 2021 12:41 PM

I was watching some 9/11 documentary that said calls from the top floors of the North Tower stopped a good amount of time before the building collapsed, most likely because everyone up there died from smoke inhalation.

by Anonymousreply 7September 14, 2021 12:42 PM

[quote] But steel buildings rarely if ever collapse. And this one was built like a fortress, esp. the core.

Again, no. WTC was not a traditional "steel building". The structural support was the EXOSKELETON. Not the inner spine like with the older buildings.

by Anonymousreply 8September 14, 2021 6:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!