Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Explain "Twin Peaks" to this under-40 Homo

I was a small child when this show first came to television, so I didn't see it in its heyday. But I've tried to watch it since then, and I just don't get it. Do I need to be drunk or high for these plotlines and conversations to make sense? Is the show supposed to make me feel like I'm already high while watching it? I know they're top-notch actors, and the writing is said to be solid, but it just doesn't connect for me.

For those of you who witnessed its peak popularity back in 1990-91: Were you fans? Did people truly enjoy it, or was it something everyone only pretended to like so they could impress their friends by watching "arthouse" television?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206February 27, 2023 6:29 PM

Hun, this is not google....are you sure you are under 40?

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 10:51 PM

It was great until they revealed Laura's killer. It was stylish and hypnotic.

But after that was over it revealed it didn't know that with a soap opera you need someone to root for, someone to care about. And all the characters were just static nothings.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 10:52 PM

This hot girl got killed, and it turned out she was a slut.

Eventually, most had a motive, but few had alibis.

Also, it was set in an interesting locale.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 10:54 PM

At least it had that cutie-pie Kyle M!

Was it meant to end once Laura's killer was revealed? That would make more sense if it were a limited-run series, and not meant to keep going.

Also, Laura's real killer was quite a letdown. It was like seeing who shot J.R., or who shot Mr. Burns.

by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 10:54 PM

R4 I love Kyle M. I wish he was doing more work.

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 10:55 PM

He's too busy having work, R5.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 10:56 PM

[quote]Is the show supposed to make me feel like I'm already high while watching it?

This. I remember watching this avidly when it came out, it was extremely odd for the time, and quite trippy, and that was the appeal

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 10:56 PM

No. Watch it youself, that's part of the joy of Lynch.

The Return is nothing like the first series, though it has many of the same characters.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 10:57 PM

*yourself.

Watch BLUE VELVET. If you like that, maybe you can handle TP.

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 10:57 PM

I thought the first season was fantastic. It was basically a murder mystery and everybody was going over the clues (I guessed the killer).

The second season went off the rails. I think that Lynch didn't realize what people liked about the show and IMO ruined it

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 10:58 PM

R7 remember the backwards talking midget. That was unique for broadcast TV, I think.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 10:58 PM

R7 I've heard Labyrinth (David Bowie dancing with puppets) is the sort of movie you only really enjoy if you're high.

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 11:00 PM

R12 is the backwards talking midget in this room.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 11:06 PM

You also have to remember what weekly television was like. If you watch Twin Peaks over the course of the weekend it really can be confusing and not very fun, I would think. But when you had a whole week to absorb what had happened on the last episode, and got to talk about with friends, and speculate on what it all meant and where it was going, it became intriguing. The show is constructed for a different era. Someone said earlier that it was shot in a part of the country you really didn’t see very much of. And the music really added to its air of mystery and small-town scandals.

Mad Men, in my opinion, was the last show that knew how to build suspense from week to week.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 11:13 PM

R10, I think Lynch didn’t really hide the identity of the killer; it’s the motive and backstory that we initially don’t know. That revelation really is disturbing, and the show’s weird blend of humor and horror is, up until that point, terrifically effective.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 11:14 PM

You can't explain Twin Peaks to someone who doesn't understand.

You either get it or you don't.

There are works of Lynch I love.

There are certain works of his I don't get, nor care to.

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 11:16 PM

I had a "Twin Peaks" party at my house. I had been recording the episodes (in the VCR days) and people at my work hadn't seen the show and wanted to catch up. So, after work one day I had the gang over and we watched about 3 hours to get everybody up to speed.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:54 PM

Lynch I love: Twin Peaks (Season 1 and portions of Season 2), Blue Velvet, Mulholland Dr, parts of Wild at Heart/Dune/Lost Highway

Lynch I do not care for: Fire Walk With Me, Twin Peaks (most of the new content from a few years ago), Inland Empire, parts of Wild at Heart, pretty much anything he has done since Mulholland Dr

by Anonymousreply 18September 13, 2021 11:57 PM

We were too busy out partying about or waiting for our favorite video to replay on MTV.

by Anonymousreply 19September 13, 2021 11:59 PM

R11 yeah that was pretty bizarre.

Now I think about it another way to answer OP's question is that it was an allegory for American society - all sweet and wholesome on the surface, bit with some extremely dark, twisted stuff going on behind the scenes

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:54 AM

So much of what episodic television is now is because of Twin Peaks. I get why you're underwhelmed but it was way ahead of its time and in the early 90s it was a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 1:00 AM

Everybody could tell something different was happening when they saw the first episode. The atmosphere, the tone, the acting were all pitch-perfect. Everything unfolded in a way that could only be savored.

Twin Peaks was the first show that was discussed at length online, with fans creating theories, and analyzing every detail on usenet groups.

Unfortunately, in the second season things fluctuate, it goes from being confusing in a brilliant way to confusing in a sloppy way. The writing deteriorates. So does the acting.

I always loved the first season's sublime acting from Jack Nance, Joan Chen, Kyle Maclachlan, really the whole cast.... Lara Flynn Boyle was FLAWLESS in the first season. But she does not even seem to be playing the same character in the opening of season two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 4:44 AM

Agent M. looks uncut. He looks like his mother wanted him to be perfect.

When a man is uncut, he is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 4:50 AM

I've seen all 3 seasons and the extended fan version of Fire Walk with Me (which has nearly all of the deleted scenes edited back in). I wish David would do 2 or 3 more seasons to wrap things up before any more of the cast members die. I'm hoping Wisteria/Unrecorded Night is secretly code for season 4.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 4:51 AM

The gorgeousness of the actors and Angelo Badalamenti's haunting music.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Kyle is still gorgeous, and always seems like such a sweet guy in interviews. He's also an optimist about his career, and talks about even Showgirls like it was a learning experience. That movie stunk, but he claims he had fun swimming naked.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 5:12 AM

Lara was stunning in this show

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 5:21 AM

A hot girl got killed. All the rest is details.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 6:44 AM

Is Kyle McLaughlin going to star in the new Dune?

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 6:46 AM

I have this idea that Dune and Twin peaks are set in the same universe.

Chani is like his mother. And Rooker Firstoper is like Michael Ontkean's charadter

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 6:47 AM

He is trying to prepare the universe for perfection

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2021 6:48 AM

R27 And where is she now? Dare we Google her since the surgery?

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 8:23 AM

I remember watching the show and being absorbed and creeped out. Great use of music and cinematography. The leads were all noticeably attractive, more attractive than most other shows. I didn't guess the killer and was horrified by the reveal. Different directors derailed the show, Lynch had moved on/lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 8:35 AM

It’s very much about the battles of good vs evil, as Lynch has as much as admitted. Lara was the embodiment of the internal struggle between her good girl and bad girl personaes. Then the war waged by BOB was certainly evil, and of course so was the Cooper doppelgänger, Mr C. The Woodsmen in TPTR were so freaking effective. If you’ve liked what you’ve seen so far OP TPTR won’t disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 9:27 AM

Lynch left during the second season and wasn't responsible for the stuff everyone is complaining about. He stayed until the killer was revealed, then left. He seemed to think that a new trippy soap opera style plot could be introduced every so often to keep the show going, but if I recall, it was pretty much decided by the time he left that it was going to be cancelled, so no one bothered to do much of anything but half-heartedly tie up loose ends.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2021 9:31 AM

[quote]Twin Peaks was the first show that was discussed at length online, with fans creating theories, and analyzing every detail on usenet groups.

I think you're confusing that with The X-Files. There was alt.tv.twin-peaks starting in 1990 but there couldn't have been more than 150 people on it. They were definitely discussing and analyzing but there wasn't any kind of lengthy, meaningful discussion simply because there weren't enough people for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2021 9:37 AM

It was one of those water cooler shows you discussed with friends and colleagues to get their opinion what the hell was going on on the show.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2021 9:38 AM

It was like your worst dream and your best nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2021 9:39 AM

R27 Sherrilyn Fenn was hotter and it was not close.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2021 9:40 AM

The first season was a Lynchian take on soap operas that were popular at the time. The second season suffered from Lynch basically abandoning the project in parts due to his frustration with TV productions. Fire Walk With Me then was a distinctly cinematic wrap-up. The third series is both a best-of of Lynch's work as well as a commentary on modern TV.

As others have written, the series is hypnotic, funny, and dark. It's a supernatural mystery thriller that has to be watched on its own terms—as all of Lynch's work. Don't expect any clear explanations when dealing with his work.

Having watched all of Twin Peaks during the recent lockdowns, I can only say that it's one of my favorite TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 9:42 AM

Lynch managed to tell a compelling and intriguing story with characters from different generations. Riverdale is basically a sad, youth focussed rip-off of the David Lynch concept of turning a seemingly quaint small town into a dark and angsty place of terror, crime, mystery and intrigue.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2021 9:47 AM

Riverdale is meant to be camp, and I'm not entirely sure that you can achieve real camp intentionally. It seems like part of what makes camp CAMP is that it's often unintentional. Still, I like Riverdale's mash-up of Twin Peaks and 90210 with the Archie characters and think, good or bad, it's a uniquely American kind of entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2021 10:13 AM

R36 It's fascinating to read that archive. It was definitely the dawn of a new era. A tiny group, filling a much smaller space, but if you condense the talk it's still the same talking points as a quarter of a century later. Significant that TP was one of the first that broke away from the internet's intended usage and caught people's imaginations of what might be possible online.

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2021 10:16 AM

R34 Her name was Laura. Laura Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2021 10:16 AM

I remember loving the show, but I can’t remember who killed Laura Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2021 10:25 AM

Killer Bob.

by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2021 10:27 AM

Leland Palmer

by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2021 10:29 AM

R45 Her closer case dad killed her because he wanted her boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2021 10:30 AM

Closet*^

by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2021 10:31 AM

TPTR was the last hurrah of the exquisite Peggy Liption, and she had one of the best scenes in the series. The one with Big Ed.

by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2021 10:34 AM

What is TPTR?

by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2021 11:00 AM

Twin Peaks: The Return

by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2021 11:08 AM

OP, I'm close to you in age and I decided to watch Twin Peaks during the pandemic. The first season is great, the 2nd season is weirder than weird, and the film, Fire Walk with Me, is just plain bad.

One thing that really stood out to me is how unbelievably gorgeous the main female actors are. Sherilyn Fenn, Madchen Amick, Lara Flynn Boyle, Peggy Lipton, Heather Graham. David Lynch must've been a real perv.

by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2021 11:43 AM

watch "fire walk with me" and get REALLY creeped out

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2021 11:46 AM

plus, the gays love this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2021 11:48 AM

He's obviously a perv but he has a great eye. The dudes were smoking hot too.

by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2021 11:57 AM

OP, I'll explain it to you. The Gen Z version of this story is called "13 Reasons Why."

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2021 12:03 PM

(i.e., derivative, less subtle)

by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2021 12:05 PM

I watched it when it was first broadcast, and enjoyed discussing it with my father. It was one of the last things we shared before he died. Then I saw 'Fire Walk With Me' in the movie theater, and found it upsetting and disturbing. I also found 'Dune' repulsive.

During lockdown I've rewatched seasons 1 and 2. Actually, I stopped S2 about halfway through, when Cooper was pursuing Heather Graham's 'Annie', just thought it was silly. I decided to avoid TPTR, despite wanting to watch it, because I've read too much about how weird it is, and I just can't handle right now.

Yes, the women were spectacularly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2021 12:50 PM

I'm under 40 as well and Twin Peaks is probably my favorite show ever made. You have to watch it to fully experience it, and I highly recommend Fire Walk With Me (Sheryl Lee's sublime performance was one of the biggest surprises) as well as The Return.

David Lynch is one of the few directors with a great reputation in Hollywood for how he treats actors, incidentally. He just has a great eye for aesthetics.

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote]I watched it when it was first broadcast, and enjoyed discussing it with my father.

"Daddy, why is that girl pretending to want a job in the brothel owned by her father?"

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2021 1:54 PM

Oh, wow, in my post I forgot to mention the beautiful Sheryl Lee. Sherilyn, Madchen, and Lara seemed to get most of the attention (appearing on a well-known Rolling Stone cover), but she was just as captivating.

Really, the only thing about Fire Walk with Me is the fact it focused more on Laura Palmer.

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2021 1:59 PM

Twink Peaks is extremely popular with the under 40 crowd. Go ask one of your similarly aged friends.

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2021 2:02 PM

You have to remember the times. Network tv was the only game in town and your options were Growing Pains or Knots Landing. That's why Twin Peaks was a sensation. It was a unique, adult show in a sea of absolute shit network tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2021 2:15 PM

Good point, R64. We're desensitized to a lot thanks to cable, but back then a primetime show about murder, prostitution, adultry, and drugs would've been unique.

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2021 2:38 PM

I’m an under-40 homo who loves Twin Peaks. Everyone who watches it will get something different out of it: showing an isolated scene to a group of 10 people will garner 10 different interpretations. I was initially put off by the tonal difference in The Return, but grew to like it and now see it as an essential part of the whole package. Parts of the show are absolutely terrifying, parts are beautiful.

I kept wanting Cooper and Truman to tag team Bobby, but I guess that’s a different show 😈

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2021 3:05 PM

Don't forget the production values too. At the time, TV shows had much lower production values than films, even the expensive prime time shows. Twin Peaks introduced film-level quality.

by Anonymousreply 67September 14, 2021 3:05 PM

Lynch never wanted to reveal Laura's killer, as he saw it as the root of the mystery and drama in the show, from which all other plots grew. The network forced him to do so, and that's when he checked out of the TV show. He said in an interview that the Laura mystery was the goose laying golden eggs, and the network made him slaughter the goose.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2021 3:09 PM

The Annie plot only happened because McLachlan was dating Lara Flynn Boyle, and she threw a fit with him over his character getting together with Sherilyn Fenn's. (There was a lot of rivalry between the actresses.) McLachlan told the producers that he wouldn't play the Audrey/Cooper romance storyline, so they shoehorned in Heather Graham's Annie.

by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2021 3:11 PM

I really thought Sherilyn Fenn would be a big star. Shows you how much I know!

by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2021 3:45 PM

Sherilyn Fen is still lovely. She’s gotten heavy, but she has a very pretty face. I think she was in “Ray Donovan” several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 71September 14, 2021 5:37 PM

^^ Fenn.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 72September 14, 2021 5:37 PM

R68, that explains why the show lost it's steam so quickly. Someone mentioned production values. No expense was spared, the female leads looked like Elizabeth Taylor in her prime with perfect hair and makeup. Beautifully filmed (not recorded) created a dreamy atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2021 11:44 PM

The show reestablished coffee and pie at the center of American life.

by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2021 11:54 PM

Fun fact: Richard Beymer, Tony in West Side Story, played Benjamin Horne. Still gorgeous after all those years.

And David Patrick Kelly, of The Warriors fame ("Warriors...come out to playyyy") played Ben's brother, Jerry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 15, 2021 11:04 AM

The original series is one of the greatest achievements in television history. Yes the quality fluctuates but that's sort of built into its DNA, riffing as it does on soap opera conventions. The woodenness and ridiculous plots are part of the point.

But that said I think The Return is even more of a staggering achievement. It's less to do with the original show than it does the artist Lynch became in the decades since, the one who no longer gives a fuck and does whatever he wants to, and I feel like it will be rattling around in my brain until the day I die. Nothing has scared me like that show scared me. The eighth episode is the strangest most beautiful hour of television I have ever seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 15, 2021 11:28 AM

scary and frightening

by Anonymousreply 77September 15, 2021 11:57 AM

R75, Dr. Jacoby, Russ Tamblyn, was also in WEST SIDE STORY, as Riff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 15, 2021 12:03 PM

are they fucking in that pic?

by Anonymousreply 79September 15, 2021 12:24 PM

The hilarious thing about Russ Tamblyn in his Twin Peaks days is that he strongly resembled his daughter’s (Amber Tamblyn) husband, David Cross.

Oh, and he wasn’t the only actor whose children became famous:

Mary Jo Deschanel (mother of Zooey and Emily) played Eileen Hayward, mother of Donna (Lara Flynn Boyle’s character)

Peggy Lipton (mother of Rashida Jones) played Norma

by Anonymousreply 80September 15, 2021 1:11 PM

R79: Darling, don't I wish!

by Anonymousreply 81September 15, 2021 1:31 PM

"When I take you out in a Surrey with the fringe on tooooop."

The first time I watched this series was on DVD with an ex in the early 2000s, we would only watch one episode a night and this show lead both of us to have the WEIRDEST dreams. It's operating on multiple levels.

This show came up in another thread about toxic sets, was only a tidbit but I'd like to know more (the number of young actress-bitches would've made the set a damned mine field).

Moira Kelly was SO wrong in Fire Walk With Me.

by Anonymousreply 82September 15, 2021 2:40 PM

R82, Lynch and Mark Frost were fuming when Lara refused to doFire Walk With Me . I agree that Moira was dull in the role and not very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 83September 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Episode 14 , when the killer was revealed scared the hell out of me .

by Anonymousreply 84September 15, 2021 2:45 PM

Lara hated the fact that Audrey became a bigger lead.

by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2021 3:13 PM

But was it a better show than the other hits of the era, like Wings, Northern Exposure, or thirtysomething? Or was it more of a tonal counterweight to those light comedy/dramedy shows?

by Anonymousreply 86September 15, 2021 3:16 PM

Lara is prettier than Sher and can act

by Anonymousreply 87September 15, 2021 3:18 PM

R83 Yeah, I'm sure her arduous shooting schedule for Wayne's World really was just too much to handle with all the heroin in the picture.

FWWM would've been better with any of the girls from the original show, even Fenn would've been better than Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2021 5:18 PM

I can’t. AND posting your age or a question with your age associated with it makes me wanna pass.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2021 5:28 PM

R89 Just like seeing a Scruff profile with no age listed. I'm gonna assume you're either older than you look, or ashamed to be your age. Either way, it's a pass.

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2021 5:37 PM

The first season was near perfect. The second was not. Should have ended after the first. The new season was too slow and weird but I watched it anyway. Title music is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2021 5:47 PM

People obsessed with their age really need to die

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2021 6:50 PM

Paramount+ offers the entire series without commercials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2021 7:39 PM

R88, heroin? I thought Lara dabbled in coke ? That would explain the tremendous weight loss. Lara is a really great actor and very pretty

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2021 8:09 PM

I love Lynch’s quote about the Wizard of Oz. It goes something like, “it’s a story about a girl, trying to return to her family, but it’s not even her real family! It’s maddening!” From Lynch on Lynch. You Can tell he has a really interesting relationship with old films.

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2021 8:36 PM

Since they set Laura up as the Virgin/Whore/Druggie/Bi-sexual - she was the most interesting character. The Diary of Laura Palmer, written by Lynch's daughter, provided a lot of missing pieces. The idea floated that Laura hadn't been killed, but assumed the identity of her cousin, Maddie - could have fueled the series through several seasons. Stupidly they killed 'Maddie' off so that went unrealized. That would have also been pure soap. Sheryl Lee was great in Fire Walk With Me, and the reunion series on Showtime was painfully all over the place with characters nobody gave a shit about. They re worked it so Laura was alive(?) -or was she??? Still needs resolution IMO.

by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2021 8:47 PM

R96, I felt that Laura was unattractive and was not a natural actor . The character of Laura was not sympathetic at all. I ascribe this to Lee’s lack of any charisma and she overacted like a mofo . This showed up in immensely better if Laura was actually pretty and likable.

by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2021 8:56 PM

This show would have been immensely better

by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2021 8:57 PM

This wasn't something a knew about when I was a high schooler watching it for the first time, but a lot of what I like about it now is the way the show "borrows" so slavishly from 50s melodrama and noir and soap operas -- there's even a soap opera for the characters to watch on the show, "Invitation to Love." Some examples: the way everyone most everyone dresses like it's the 50s, the way the actors are kind of all too old to be in high school, and of course the overpowering, completely non-contemporary music. The casting seems like part of that too, e.g., casting Russ Tamblyn and Peggy Lipton in it. It's like Lynch has watched every noir and every women's picture from the 40s/50s and spit them all out into something insane and new.

by Anonymousreply 99September 15, 2021 9:07 PM

R99, Lynch wanted a timeless feel to his projects and he seems enthralled and Nostalgic by this 50’s

by Anonymousreply 100September 15, 2021 9:10 PM

I remember enjoying the original series. I watched the reboot with my ex because he's a fan, and it felt like 800 hours of painfully bad performance art. Several times I remember telling myself that yes, something will drop into all this godawful art school shit and make it make sense.

Reader, it did not.

by Anonymousreply 101September 15, 2021 9:15 PM

The first episode of Twin Peaks was mind-blowing. For one thing, it was s-l-o-w. TV shows were NOT supposed to be slow. And it took death very, very seriously. The first episode was about grief. Grief was not an emotion that you saw on tv. To encounter it was shocking. You can't imagine how shocking it was.

by Anonymousreply 102September 15, 2021 9:47 PM

I'm sure most know but "Mulholland" was meant to be a series too. When the pilot wasn't picked up, Lynch created the film around what was shot, Why I think Naomi got fucking lucky because there was no "Evil Naomi' originally, just the sickly sweet one.

by Anonymousreply 103September 15, 2021 10:02 PM

Slow, r102, try watching the second season opener. That bullshit opening did more to kill the show than revealing the killer. It's like Lynch wanted to see how many people he could drive away.

by Anonymousreply 104September 15, 2021 10:05 PM

I initially rolled my eyes when the character of Maddie was introduced, but she actually made Laura seem more likable.

Also, for some strange reason one of my favorite moments in the show is when James is singing a song in Donna’s living room while Donna and Maddie sing backup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105September 15, 2021 10:41 PM

[quote] Slow, [R102], try watching the second season opener. That bullshit opening did more to kill the show than revealing the killer. It's like Lynch wanted to see how many people he could drive away.

Did you watch season three? That had six whole minutes of a guy just sweeping the floor!

by Anonymousreply 106September 15, 2021 11:12 PM

It was a gamechanger. Twin Peaks and Silence of the Lambs. Both came out around the same time. So influential, much imitated.

by Anonymousreply 107September 15, 2021 11:30 PM

Sheryl Lee was married to Neil Diamond's son, and she was one of the best screamers in tv history.

by Anonymousreply 108September 15, 2021 11:51 PM

True r108

by Anonymousreply 109September 15, 2021 11:55 PM

The 3 female leads were equally gorgeous, just different looks. Sherilynn had the showier role as the sexy bad girl.

by Anonymousreply 110September 16, 2021 12:16 AM

A slut

by Anonymousreply 111September 16, 2021 12:20 AM

Funny how Audrey was the slut, when really all she did was flirt with Dale. Shelly won the slut contest based on merit.

by Anonymousreply 112September 16, 2021 12:24 AM

R10 Lynch didn't even made season two. Only few first episodes, untill the killer was reveled and the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 113September 16, 2021 12:28 AM

R110 Four female leads. Or six, if you are counting the non highschool ones.

by Anonymousreply 114September 16, 2021 12:29 AM

Audrey was the tease who danced proactively and tied cherrystems into knots with her tongue.

by Anonymousreply 115September 16, 2021 12:29 AM

Lee was not hot to me

by Anonymousreply 116September 16, 2021 12:32 AM

R114 Laura Palmer is beautiful too, but missed the Rolling Stone cover.

by Anonymousreply 117September 16, 2021 12:32 AM

R117, you need your eyes checked

by Anonymousreply 118September 16, 2021 12:33 AM

R116 I think you mean Leo, if you do I agree. He was awful, hideous, the ponytailed, wife-beater wearing perpetually hostile asshole with a hot car, although the women of Twin Peaks were thorough fans of his.

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2021 12:57 AM

I was too young to understand my sexuality, but there was a part of me that knew I wanted to bone him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120September 16, 2021 1:00 AM

Hell, I'd still bone him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2021 1:01 AM

Gorgeous r121

by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2021 1:03 AM

Bobby’s hot

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2021 1:16 AM

Love this thread. About to turn 50. I saw the show when it originally aired and consider myself fortunate to have done so. Yes, MARY! 😃

I think what initially hooked me was the score, though I was enthralled from the beginning more or less. My older brother loved it, too, and I was proud and happy that I was the one who clued him in to it. Usually he was the one who discovered offbeat, weird things and got me into them. For once, the tables were turned. As others have said, it was completely unlike anything we'd seen on TV before.

I watched TPTR and was taken aback at how emotional I was about it. I was 19 when the original aired, and TPTR seemed to launch me back to my 19-year-old self, who was frozen in time (did part of me get stuck in the lodge?), and I had to catch her up on how old I am now and all that's happened in the interim. And not happened (dreams never realized). I was Audrey staring in the mirror in horror. I felt shattered.

Yes, MARY! again. But that's why I love Lynch. Certain of his works have made me aware of parts of me I didn't know existed. And while this experience happened to be quite painful, I am the better for it. I feel more integrated I guess? Maybe it was a way to process my lost youth.

And yes, Lynch is the only guy who could get me to watch a man sweep up a club after hours (somebody get the guy a push broom!), and not feel like I'd been had, though I'm sure I was. The stinker!

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2021 1:17 AM

R121 Damn, yeah I'd go there too, hot

Kyle MacLachlan Agent Dale Cooper) was gorgeous, but there was another minor character I remember who I also found attractive, seemed gay to me, drove a BMW, lived alone. Cant figure out who it was, maybe Dick Tremayne going by Wikipedia?

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2021 1:23 AM

I think so R125. Dick Tremayne had money. I remember that.

If I may humble brag, Deputy Andy (Harry Goaz) followed and commented on my blog way back when!

I consider it a badge of honour, as he is one of the cast-members of Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2021 1:27 AM

R118 You are the one that needs to have his eyes checked.

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2021 9:23 AM

Dana Ashbrook was hot AF. What a great head of hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 16, 2021 10:48 AM

Suzy Quatro is Sherilyn's aunt.

by Anonymousreply 129September 16, 2021 10:54 AM

TWIN PEAKS was like Peyton Place on ludes/acid.

Sheryl Lee looked like the blonde, big eyed princess ideal. The Homecoming Queen photo of her was misleading, to the abuse/sluttiness/vulnerability of Laura Palmer. That was the hook for me.

by Anonymousreply 130September 16, 2021 12:29 PM

^me too, Laura was my favorite character. I didn’t catch the show when it originally aired but became a fan a few years after it was canceled. I also loved FWWM, mostly because of Lee’s amazing performance. The show is sublime; for me it’s escapist entertainment, timeless, & transports you to a time & place you’ll never forget. I was very disappointed in the reboot series, it didn’t feature the veteran characters much & was very long & drawn out (the Italian actress taking 10 mins to get up off the couch?) Episode 8 was mind-bending & mind-boggling though, the highlight of this series, but it really mind fucked me, I couldn’t sleep after seeing it!

by Anonymousreply 131September 16, 2021 5:51 PM

I was a teenager when this came out and I was really into it. The later shows went downhill but for a while it was really something.

by Anonymousreply 132September 16, 2021 6:02 PM

While I had watched season 1 in the 90s, I hadn't seen the rest before 2020. When I had finally watched the whole show in one go (including a fanedit of FWWM that includes the Missing Pieces), it really blew me away.

To be honest, I really loved Twin Peaks: The Return. However, I could imagine that it was an advantage that I didn't have to wait between episodes. I also knew going in that Coop was going to absent for most of the season, so I could really relax and go with the flow. There were so many hilarious moments in TWTR...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 16, 2021 7:43 PM

I watched the original airing, and I was a fan. It wasn’t especially popular in my community, but there were some who watched it.

I was initially attracted to the mystery and the absurdist humor. The writing was clever, and many of the characters were enjoyable.

BOB scared the fuck out of me - still to this day.

Once they named the killer and David Lynch left, it went downhill, but I kept watching because I wanted to fuck Bobby Briggs. Even though the second season wasn’t nearly as good, it was still enjoyable.

FWWM was okay, but it wasn’t the same without Lara Flynn Boyle, and much of the humor of the series was absent.

The return was too cerebral for me. I watched it, but found it largely boring AF.

by Anonymousreply 134September 16, 2021 9:37 PM

The first season was exceptionally dreamy and intriguing. Season 2, episodes 8-14 were great . The rest of season 2 was awful .

by Anonymousreply 135September 16, 2021 11:53 PM

The scene where Lealand is revealed is still a fucking horror show. And this was on Broadcast TV. Sheryl Lee is a very underrated actress. SHE IS FEARLESS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136September 17, 2021 2:41 AM

Forget Sheryl Lee. Ray Wise killed it on this show.

by Anonymousreply 137September 17, 2021 2:44 AM

Lee over acted

by Anonymousreply 138September 17, 2021 3:21 AM

The pilot played at Film festivals overseas, and Lynch directed a 15 minute coda that solved the crime and revealed the one arm man as the killer, if I remember correctly. When he show actually screened on TV I was so fucking confused to years.

by Anonymousreply 139September 17, 2021 4:08 AM

Cahier du Cinema named Twin Peaks: The Return (all eighteen hours of it!) as the best movie of 2019.

by Anonymousreply 140September 17, 2021 4:19 AM

R135 I think you got it backwards. Season 2, the first couple of episodes were great, until the killer was reveled and Lynch left the project. I believe episode 8. Everything after it, apart from the last episode, when Lynch returned, was garbage.

by Anonymousreply 141September 17, 2021 9:49 AM

I love Lynch's self-indulgent Monica Bellucci in Paris scene from The Return. I mean, I'd do something similar if I were at the helm of a project with as much control as Lynch. It would be Vienna, though, and a man, for me.

by Anonymousreply 142September 17, 2021 9:57 AM

R141, it was episode 14 when killer was revealed. The subsequent episodes were so dull and you could tell the actors resented the show. In fact, I recall Sherilyn Fenn in interview a few years later saying “ the thought of doing TP for 5 seasons filled me with dread.”

by Anonymousreply 143September 17, 2021 2:38 PM

I can see that with the P&G stars, especially since the shows were New York-based. Many of them concentrated on theater opportunities, treating daytime like a steady paycheck vs. their real passion. They weren't all over the soap mags when I was a kid. Growing up, it was all about DAYS, GH and Y&R. AMC got covers for special events mostly.

by Anonymousreply 144September 17, 2021 3:00 PM

Sorry. Wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 145September 17, 2021 3:00 PM

Well at least Sherilyn didn't have to get her tits out.

by Anonymousreply 146September 17, 2021 3:07 PM

R146 ???

by Anonymousreply 147September 17, 2021 3:13 PM

It was way ahead of some social issues, like David Duchovny's Denise and maybe interracial dating.

It had this great mix of film noir, horror and soap. And then you got WTF moments like Jocelyn's head in a nightstand's drawer knob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 17, 2021 4:20 PM

R143 Episode 14 of season two is actually episode 6. You are counting the episodes from season one too.

by Anonymousreply 149September 17, 2021 4:21 PM

Yes r149 my apologies

by Anonymousreply 150September 17, 2021 5:12 PM

They should have not revealed Laura’s killer and kept it as a background plot . They could have killed Maddie without letting us know who did it to continue the suspense, but ABC execs wanted higher ratings and pressured Lynch/ Frost into unveiling the killer. Trust me, if ratings were passable after killer was identified, ABC would have kept the show on the air and it would have continued to suck

by Anonymousreply 151September 17, 2021 5:20 PM

R238= Lara Flynn Bore-All

by Anonymousreply 152September 17, 2021 5:59 PM

Lara and Kyle had the best post TP careers

by Anonymousreply 153September 17, 2021 6:29 PM

Watch first season . A complete masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 154September 17, 2021 11:33 PM

Loved it at first, but I gave up in season 2 when the Joan Chen character has a heart attack out of nowhere, dies, and her spirit possess the drawer handle of her nightstand table.

by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 1:06 AM

R155, that was highLarius camp

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 1:13 AM

[quote] remember the backwards talking midget. That was unique for broadcast TV, I think.

Actually, I think NYC Mayor Bloomberg was first.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2021 1:31 AM

Courtney Thorne Smith kinda reminded me of Sheryl Lee.

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2021 4:58 AM

CTS is prettier.

by Anonymousreply 159September 18, 2021 4:59 AM

R159 No way

by Anonymousreply 160September 18, 2021 3:52 PM

WAY!

by Anonymousreply 161September 18, 2021 6:37 PM

NO WAY!

by Anonymousreply 162September 18, 2021 6:57 PM

Sheryl Lee was very plain

by Anonymousreply 163September 18, 2021 11:50 PM

This is a real place! Snoqualmie Falls is a well known tourist attraction just east of Seattle. You can dine and/or stay overnight at the Snqualmie Lodge which is situated right above the falls. Gorgeous place, as is the entire state of WA. I love the Western part, but the desert quality of Eastern WA also has its charm. I am from the opposite side of the US. but have lived in the Seattle area for around 2O years.

by Anonymousreply 164September 19, 2021 12:06 AM

Looked gorgeous in the show. Lush. The contrast of the beauty of the scenery and sordidness of the characters' lives is memorable.I watched a few episodes recently. The young female leads took up the bandwidth while the show was on air but the actor who played Laura Palmer's mom was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 165September 19, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] Cahier du Cinema named Twin Peaks: The Return (all eighteen hours of it!) as the best movie of 2019[sic].

Not just 2017, the best movie of the decade.

by Anonymousreply 166September 19, 2021 12:35 AM

She was Grace Zabriskie, R165. She also played Susan's mother on Seinfeld. I always get her and Eileen Brennan mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 167September 19, 2021 12:49 AM

OP I think you have to be a bit of a twisted sister, a bit of a freak, to really connect with Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 168September 19, 2021 1:08 AM

I found Sheryl to be the most attractive of the female cast.

by Anonymousreply 169September 19, 2021 2:34 AM

[quote] She was Grace Zabriskie, [R165]. She also played Susan's mother on Seinfeld.

And Warren Frost (Dr. Hayward, Donna's father) played Susan's father, the guy who had the gay affair with John Cheever. I always thought casting Susan's parents out of Twin Peaks was genius.

by Anonymousreply 170September 19, 2021 2:50 AM

R170 They were at their best when paired with George's maniac parents.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171September 19, 2021 5:17 AM

R163 Your face is very plain.

by Anonymousreply 172September 19, 2021 12:33 PM

my ass is world class

by Anonymousreply 173September 19, 2021 12:55 PM

Sheryl Lee was the ugliest compared to the other female leads

by Anonymousreply 174September 19, 2021 3:23 PM

From the "How Clueless Was I" file...

At the time (1990) when I was a young gay, it took an eldergay to explain to me that "Twin Peaks" meant tits. But he did go on to say that in my defense I probably would have caught it had the show been called "Rockhard Tower"....

by Anonymousreply 175September 19, 2021 5:01 PM

R174 Says a gay dude. She was hot.

by Anonymousreply 176September 19, 2021 7:23 PM

Fenn was kinda chunky. Boyle was plain. Madchen Ameck really was great as Carrie on Central Park West - how different from Shelly! She really had it. Sheryl Lee, though, was divine as Laura - SHE is the lasting image of the show.

by Anonymousreply 177September 19, 2021 8:00 PM

Whatever happened to Madchen Amick? She was gorgeous. I liked her better with wild auburn hair than the pedestrian-cut blonde she has now.

by Anonymousreply 178September 19, 2021 8:04 PM

R178 She was on one season of Californication, bit that was long time ago as well, I guess

by Anonymousreply 179September 19, 2021 8:14 PM

IMDB shows that she's currently (2021) on Riverdale.

by Anonymousreply 180September 19, 2021 8:19 PM

All gorgeous. This was the moment the tacky part of the 1980s was out of fashion. The hair is big but the look is natural. Sorry for the pininterest link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181September 19, 2021 8:32 PM

Lara was a beauty

by Anonymousreply 182September 19, 2021 8:56 PM

I’m such a fan of Twin Peaks that I even like the maligned 2nd half of the second season! Some of it is pretty bad — Dick Tremayne, James and that older woman — but the Windom Earle storyline is creepy with the dawning understanding of the white and black lodges, which of course end up key to TPTR. Some great moments with Major Briggs in later S2 as well. It’s where you start to see Bobby grow up (which culminated so nicely in TPTR).

And Lynch did come back for S2 final ep where Cooper goes into the black lodge and that’s one of the series highlights IMO.

I also consider FWWM a masterpiece. It is a true horror movie in that it’s genuinely horrifying. It seemed like Lynch felt he had to atone for the quirkiness of the series with a movie that unflinchingly showed the true horror of what happened to Laura. Despite how tawdry the film is, there’s a kind of morality to that.

by Anonymousreply 183September 19, 2021 9:35 PM

R183, FWWM was a potential great film. Unfortunately it was too jumbled and confusing. I did love the scene with Donna and Laura at “ that western with Marlon Brando?” That was superb filmmaking.

by Anonymousreply 184September 19, 2021 10:24 PM

I found it deeply sad

by Anonymousreply 185September 20, 2021 4:56 PM

Maybe the theme is that victims of abuse create a lot of fantastic myths around them to keep going... to survive. When it's all just gross and dark and that's the motif of the show.

by Anonymousreply 186September 20, 2021 5:09 PM

R2 and R3 really covered it.

Style over substance, all the way.

by Anonymousreply 187September 20, 2021 5:10 PM

R181 It is sad Lara didn’t keep her natural look.

by Anonymousreply 188September 21, 2021 3:39 PM

Lara is amazing in "Happiness". watch it if you haven't.

by Anonymousreply 189September 21, 2021 6:57 PM

"This doesn't change anything."

by Anonymousreply 190September 21, 2021 6:58 PM

Fall is the best time to watch the series. The season fits the mood.

by Anonymousreply 191September 21, 2021 8:50 PM

Totally r191

by Anonymousreply 192September 21, 2021 8:59 PM

I just watched the original through the episode where Laura's killer is revealed. I'm trying to make it through the rest of the series and am debating if it's worth it.

The most unsettling part to me is the whole "Leo is paralyzed, but not really" subplot, especially when Shelly and Bobby are about to fuck on the table in front of him.

I loved this scene:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 24, 2022 9:50 AM

I watched it when it was new. My cousin and me theorized every week. It wasn't just a series, it was watching a mystery unfold and you knew there would never be satisfying solutions the further the plot advanced. Kyle McLachlan was otherworldly and the female cast had an old Hollywood vibe. It is still amazing.

by Anonymousreply 194January 24, 2022 10:07 AM

I’m 40 and watched Twin peaks at 8 years old since it first aired on ABC. I didn’t need anyone to explain it to me then. I read the diary of Laura Palmer at 9 years old and watched Fire Walk With Me at the Movies at 10. I still love it all including and especially season 3. If you need someone to explain it to you then perhaps it isn’t for you.

by Anonymousreply 195January 24, 2022 7:43 PM

I'm watching Fire Walk With Me.

I'd forgotten how much I love Lynch's special brand of creepiness.

by Anonymousreply 196January 25, 2022 6:43 PM

I'm now obsessed with this song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197January 25, 2022 8:02 PM

I also loved Julee Cruise's Questions in a World of Blue in FWWM.

It was such a heart-breaking scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198January 25, 2022 9:13 PM

No mention of Piper Laurie? She’s probably my favorite thing about the original series. The image of her in that Asian drag/makeup/disguise/costume from season two is burned into my brain

by Anonymousreply 199December 18, 2022 5:08 PM

It's camp as done in the style of very straight white man: dreamy, exaggerated and critical of the norm, but so dreary and dry. Personally, it doesn't indulge in the ecstasy of the absurd enough for me to really enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 200December 18, 2022 5:19 PM

Did James Marshall wear a hairpiece on show?

by Anonymousreply 201December 18, 2022 7:30 PM

You just have to give yourself over to it and let it wash over you and take the things from it that mean something to you.

by Anonymousreply 202February 27, 2023 6:03 PM

Twin Peaks fans are born, not made, OP.

by Anonymousreply 203February 27, 2023 6:05 PM

What I love about Twin Peaks is that Lynch and Frost took the soap opera concert and turned it on its head. It’s like John Waters Serial Mom - turning a clean cut suburban housewife, keeping the suburb aesthetic and making it bent.

by Anonymousreply 204February 27, 2023 6:09 PM

The original was linear and literal compared to that piece of shit in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 205February 27, 2023 6:09 PM

Season 1: Nearly flawless.

Season 2: Some of the best hours of the series (especially those Lynch himself directs), and all of the worst ones. There is a run of the episodes in the middle of the season (post Laura resolution, pre-Windom Earle) that tests any fan, when it's just one bad plot after another: Evelyn, Little Nicky, Lana Milford, Eckhardt, Jean Renault, Nadine on the wrestling team, Norma's stepmother's visit, etc.

Fire Walk With Me: It has aged well. I was not receptive to what it was doing in 1992, but I've got more out of it on occasional revisits over the years. I like the summing-up of some critic (Gleiberman?) that it's as if Antonioni directed an entry in the Elm Street series.

The Return: Staggering. As strange, mysterious, hypnotic, and alive with possibilities for late '10s TV as the first season was for early '90s TV. One of the best things Lynch has done.

by Anonymousreply 206February 27, 2023 6:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!