Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Angie Dickinson not more widely seen as a gay icon?

After reading an excellent thread asking a similar question about Arlene Dahl It occurred to me that another actress with the initials AD from the golden age of classic Hollywood was also worth considering in this light. Perhaps I am wrong and in the USA and perhaps beyond she is considered a gay icon. She was beautiful, unconventional or 🏊‍♀️against the american tide of the era of women being motherhood and apple pie. She was certainly not a 1950s typical housewife. Sexually and her romantic life she was certainly more adventurous and was independent minded and pursued her desires. No 1950s housewife! Very glamorous and well connected in Hollywood. A beautiful butterscotch blonde.

So is Angie Dickinson a gay icon and if not why not?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191November 24, 2022 3:53 PM

One of my favorite things of her was also her refusal to take part in “This is your life.” Watch it. It’s great TV.

by Anonymousreply 1September 13, 2021 8:18 PM

No, she's not. I had Burt talk her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 2September 13, 2021 8:21 PM

Has she ever had any time for us? Did she do anything or even say anything during the AIDS crisis. I recall her being "sexually liberated" in a very conventional, always het, always appealing to straight men way. She's not interesting, intelligent or funny enough for us. To be a Gay Icon you have to have more going for you than Angie Dickinson and the three hairs she has left on her head.

by Anonymousreply 3September 13, 2021 8:28 PM

R3 good question. She was great friends with Rock Hudson, but that doesn't necessarily mean she did much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 13, 2021 8:44 PM

r3 I'm sure she's had time for gays? But is that part of the criteria for icon Ă nd if so how important? Did all of the icons like Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Marilyn Monroe etc have time for gays?

by Anonymousreply 5September 13, 2021 8:47 PM

I don't think they all did, R5, but they had more talent, humor, style, power or vulnerability going for them than Angie fucking Dickinson.

by Anonymousreply 6September 13, 2021 8:55 PM

R6 I don't know why your post made me laugh. "Angie fucking Dickinson"

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 8:57 PM

Angie was filming Police Woman when I worked at Warner Bros.

She was a real friendly, happy person in person. Not like a lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 9:04 PM

I love Police Woman from the 70s!

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 9:08 PM

It's Pepper Anderson and big gay Earl Holliman!

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 9:10 PM

r8 Yes there doesn't really appear to be any rumours about her being a diva, nasty or not as she appears. No bad words about her.

r6 Thanks but that's why I am trying to pin down a little more the criteria for being a gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 11:18 PM

She is going to be at Oscars gay nightclub/restaurant in Palm Springs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 11:20 PM

Wonderful! r12 Hope some dataloungers manage to go!

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 11:43 PM

I always wanted to eat her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 11:45 PM

Her costar in "Police Woman" was Earl Holliman, commonly seen as family. I guess she likely would've known, but still supported him.

Incidentally, "Police Woman" has been renamed "Defunded Child Birthing/cis-Tited Person" on ME-TV, and Earl sometimes wears a dress and earrings.

by Anonymousreply 15September 14, 2021 12:02 AM

Her random pick up and subsequent fuck in the back of a taxi cab in Dressed to Kill is probably the fantasy of many a DLer. Not the VD and murder part that happens afterwards, but a pleasant afternoon up to that point.

by Anonymousreply 16September 14, 2021 12:12 AM

Funny. Just last night I watched Point Blank and she was fantastic in it! What a bonkers movie but really good!

Look at her go to town on Lee Marvin!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17September 14, 2021 12:30 AM

Miss Anjuh Dickinson.

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 12:43 AM

She turned down a 2 million $ advance for writing a tell-all about her "love life". She was gorgeous at the height of the sexual revolution of the 60's and 70's. She must have had fun but kept her private life private. Good for her for not selling out.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 12:55 AM

r16 Almost certainly a fantasy of many on here!!

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:58 AM

r19 She probably saved many peoples blushes and a few of their relationships in some cases. With regards to discretion she is extremely classy.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 1:00 AM

She's pretty wonderful and honest in her interviews. But there's quite a bit she's going to keep private about. I'm sure if she told all the juicy stuff she had to tell she wouldn't be able to forgive herself. There's some stuff you don't want to give away.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 1:04 AM

r22 She has mastered the art of her life appearing to be an open book while its also shrouded in mystique.Its a hard thing to pull off but her style of conversing seems well suited to it.

by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 1:18 AM

The concept of Gay Icon is dated and will die out with your generation, OP.

Dickinson was a cool lady. There is zero need for her to be a "gay icon". Why do you need to retroactively apply such a tired concept, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 1:23 AM

Damn, girl!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 1:26 AM

r24 Im not trying to reapply anything but rather query why the label was attached to some but not others in this case Angie.I am asking why not launching a campaign for her to now be made one.

What generation do you think I am by the way?

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 1:27 AM

You want to launch a campaign to make Angie Dickson a gay icon? If so, then yes you are trying to retroactively apply something that has nothing to do with her.

Just who would participate in this campaign? And why? WHY? Your thread title along is IDIOTIC! Nobody wants to make her a gay ICON. And she is NOT a gay icon.

Who is next? Marie LaforĂŞt? Julie Christie?

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 1:37 AM

Always loved her. Total class. And Dressed to Kill is fucking genius.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 1:41 AM

r27 Sorry you appear to have misunderstood me or I did something wrong with the grammar in my previous post. I said I am NOT launching a campaign for her to now be made one but asking why in the past she wasnt one but others were from her era. What disqualified her criteria wise in other words.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 1:41 AM

That is not what you typed, dear.

"I am asking why not launching a campaign for her to now be made one."

by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 1:44 AM

There was no committee. No criteria. She was not disqualified. TONS of actresses were sexy and classy and caught the eye of gay guys. Most of us loved Police Woman. And her appearances with men, on shows like Johnny Carson. You don't need to be a "gay icon" to be appreciated by gays. WTF is wrong with you? Do you filter your entire life and experience through a "gay" lens?

by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2021 1:47 AM

r30 Yes Dear I know what I typed . It should maybe have read I am asking why, not launching a campaign for her now to be made one"

Hence why I mentioned grammar. If I was saying what you thought I was saying I would have typed launch not launching.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 1:48 AM

I'm out. Enjoy your campaign in an empty forest.

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 1:50 AM

r31 Dont be so irate without good cause.Too many poor assumptions in your post.

I explained in my OP that having seen an excellent and popular currently active thread asking the exact same question about Arlene Dahl I thought it an apt and good idea to do the same for Angie.

Nothing to do with lens or attaching undue importance and everything to do with it being a discussion forum aimed at gay men.Stop being so serious.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 1:51 AM

r33 There is no campaign as I think you now know.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2021 1:52 AM

Angie was many people’s fathers “favorite” actress. Angie is a lovely person who has grown old gracefully. She knows a lot of secrets and gave back a book advance years ago. She was always a bit relaxed (passive) to her detriment. Burt Bacharach was dominating and a shit (like David Foster today) and was awful to their daughter (Angie’s only child) Niki who was an extreme preemie when born in 1967 and who had Asbergers and killed herself about 15 years ago (plastic bag over head) at the age of 40. Burt institutionalized Niki for years because she was “too disruptive.” Then he went and took up with Carole Bayer Sager. Angie had a sultry low watt glamour and has kept a low profile for many decades, which is probably why she barely registers to people under 40.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2021 2:02 AM

r36 Good post . I have wondered what Angie would have been like in Dynasty opposite Joan Collins if she had of taken on the role of Krystal.I have also felt its a bit of a shame she didnt do any guest roles in any of the glossy soaps of that era such as Falcon Crest or Knots Landing.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2021 2:05 AM

R37 I could easily picture that casting! Unfortunately, Dynasty was initially developed as a Linda Evans vehicle, she had had a relationship with ABC since Big Valley, and was attached to Dynasty when it still had the working title “Oil.”

Angie was disappointed there hadn’t been a supporting Oscar campaign for her for Dressed but she still expected the movie scripts to roll in…and they didn’t. Angie should have done guest roles on one of the era’s big nighttime soaps but I suspect 1) she would have asked for too much money and 2) was more comfortable in a project being developed around her (like her many TV movies). Also, Angie was closely associated with NBC (Police Woman) and ABC and CBS had the lock on nighttime soaps. But yes, Angie would have been a great foil to Joan’s Alexis. She probably would have made Joan (the person) very nervous, too, unlike Linda, whom Joan thought was a bit of a dolt. That could have made for some interesting energy.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2021 2:22 AM

r38 Arent Angie and Joan friends in real life? I seem to recall when Joan released a book in the late 1990s where she interviewed various celebrity friends for lifestyle, personal philosophy and beauty tips and one of them was Angie Dickinson who she referenced as my great friend Angie Dickinson?

I remember Angie starred in a short lived show called Wild Palms who some people thought might be a successor to Twin Peaks?

But yes Angie seemed perfect for the glossy 1980s tv era but alas it wasnt meant to be.

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2021 2:29 AM

Angie didn't have an 80s glamour or vibe, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 2:35 AM

r40 Fair enough but to me she seemed a natural for that eras glamour although perhaps tilting towards not being as camp about it as say Joan Collins.

by Anonymousreply 41September 14, 2021 2:46 AM

She was always being menaced by predatory lesbians and murderous transsexuals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 14, 2021 2:52 AM

Reminds me of my dad who used to watch Police Woman

by Anonymousreply 43September 14, 2021 2:54 AM

Miss Angie Dickinson is very much a gay icon and deserves to be an even bigger one at that. Her Pepper Anderson/Police Woman character was a precursor to the Charlie's Angels, jiggle-tv to come. Her 1966 pantless Esquire magazine cover was a scandalous sensation. Her affairs with JFK and Sinatra are legendary. And those mid to late '70s posters were a lot sexier than Farrah's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 14, 2021 2:57 AM

R39 I don’t know that they are great friends as much as women with a shared, rarefied experience: beautiful starlets about the same age who came up in their respective studio systems at the same time (Joan at Rank and then Fox and Angie at Warner). They were single girls about town in the LA of the late 50s through early 60s. Then they both married BIG personalities (Newley and Bacharach) and started families at almost the same time. Divorce followed and both of them kept going, adjusting, survivors. I’m not sure how that friendship would have fared had they been at the same studio or if they were ever in direct competition for a man…or a role! So I would say they are the Hollywood definition of “great friends!”

by Anonymousreply 45September 14, 2021 2:58 AM

On Perry Mason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 14, 2021 3:11 AM

The opening for Police Woman is one of my earliest memories of watching TV. It's a very distinctive intro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 14, 2021 3:15 AM

Pepper was so versatile. Undercover she could go from stewardess to go-go dancer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 14, 2021 3:18 AM

She looked great against he-men like Earl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 14, 2021 3:21 AM

Esquire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 14, 2021 3:23 AM

'80s ladies who lunch

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 14, 2021 3:25 AM

She did her part for avocado farmers...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 14, 2021 3:33 AM

We love Dick-in-son.

by Anonymousreply 53September 14, 2021 3:34 AM

One of the earliest comedy sketches I remember (think it was on Sonny and Cher?) was Angie Dickinson interrogating someone and acting like she was eating a Ding Dong. I remember as a kid thinking "she's not even really eating it"

by Anonymousreply 54September 14, 2021 3:40 AM

Is Police Woman showing on Tubi? I’ve never seen it but have wanted to ever since I first saw Angie in Dressed To Kill, on TV circa 1990 when I was 11. I got obsessed with that film, and did some reading about Angie and checked out what I could (very limited options in the pre-Internet era). I remember watching her interview with John Tesh on Entertainment Tonight when she was promoting a cable TV movie she was in, Treacherous Crossing (not a great one).

Anyway, I’ve always liked her a lot and have only ever heard very good things about her. Her refusal to tape the episode of This Is Your Life is the stuff of legend, and people often claim she was a bitch for not playing along. But that’s plainly not true, because the audio (is there video as well? Been a while since I watched it on YouTube) proves she was nice as pie while peace-ing out; she just had personal convictions and stuck to them in the most polite way possible.

Hard to believe she’s going to be 90!

by Anonymousreply 55September 14, 2021 3:52 AM

Shake it, Angie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 14, 2021 3:56 AM

"I seem to recall when Joan released a book in the late 1990s where she interviewed various celebrity friends for lifestyle, personal philosophy and beauty tips and one of them was Angie Dickinson who she referenced as my great friend Angie Dickinson?"

Close. She called her, "My great friend, Miss Angie Fucking Dickinson".

by Anonymousreply 57September 14, 2021 4:07 AM

Wasn't she a republican at some point of her life?

It seemed like she was a big Reagan fan in the 80s.

That alone would kill her gay icon status.

by Anonymousreply 58September 14, 2021 4:12 AM

r58 Joan Collins seemed to like the Reagans too and she is definitely a gay icon.

r44 What great legs she has! Fantastic photo!

r51 Love that picture.Great ladies in a group photo.

r45 Thanks .I suppose there is a part of me that likes to think of them as good friends because I like both ladies very much but your more cynical take might be closer to the truth!!

by Anonymousreply 59September 14, 2021 4:30 AM

R59 Joan Collins isn't MY gay icon (no Reagan lover star is & that includes the horrible Joan Rivers).

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2021 4:47 AM

[quote]Why is Angie Dickinson not more widely seen as a gay icon?

Because all you motherfuckers do is talk about the Golden Girls when Designing Women is clearly better.

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2021 4:54 AM

She may have had a few gay friends, but she's never openly supported any gay equality efforts.

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2021 6:12 AM

wasn't Burt Bacharach gay?

by Anonymousreply 63September 14, 2021 6:17 AM

R55, JustWatch indicates that Police Woman is streaming on Tubi:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64September 14, 2021 12:25 PM

She wasn't slutty, drunk or outrageous enough to be a traditional gay icon.

by Anonymousreply 65September 14, 2021 12:48 PM

Or tragic enough^^

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2021 12:50 PM

R38, Linda Evans has said repeatedly in interviews over the years that Angie was offered the role of Krystle first and turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 67September 14, 2021 1:14 PM

Angie kept a diary for years, but burned it when she and Burt first hired live in help after Nikki was born.

by Anonymousreply 68September 14, 2021 1:16 PM

I have always wondered if she seduced the gorgeous Ricky Nelson on the set of Rio Bravo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 14, 2021 1:24 PM

Angie probably rivals Shelley Winters in number of conquests; however, Angie has always been discreet about those trysts. Miss Winters not so much.

by Anonymousreply 70September 14, 2021 3:57 PM

R69, Nah, Angie was never into younger guys. If any "Rio Bravo" cast member was mounting her, my money would be on Duke or Dean.

by Anonymousreply 71September 14, 2021 4:43 PM

You just know she got some high quality dick back in the day. That alone should make her a DL icon. Somehow, she always read as both slutty and wholesome/down to earth. Not an easy thing to do. Most sluts always appear to be trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 72September 14, 2021 5:04 PM

She still won't confirm that she fucked JFK, which is silly at this point.

She does admit to being Sinatra's on again/off again fuck buddy over a couple of decades.

by Anonymousreply 73September 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Yet, wasn’t Shelley known to embellish things a bit?

by Anonymousreply 74September 14, 2021 5:14 PM

Big-dicked Mo Rocca did a great interview with her in 2019. It's worth watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 14, 2021 5:23 PM

R74, Pity when one has to embellish.

by Anonymousreply 76September 14, 2021 5:26 PM

R75, "An open robe is not a rape."

by Anonymousreply 77September 14, 2021 5:28 PM

R67 I have yet to hear that from anyone with first hand knowledge. Linda Evans may believe it. Angie Dickinson may believe it. But there is so much bs that gets passed around from agents and managers and production team publicists and network team publicists. The rumors keep everyone on their toes, make actresses think their teams are working for them, generate buzz, and help feed into most actresses’s insecurities that they were not first choice….or that they could be replaced.

Aaron Spelling was also notorious for dropping rumors about casting that had no basis in reality. It’s just part of deal making. I do know that once the Shapiros teamed up with ABC, they were all very keen on Evans because ABC liked her from Big Valley, she had a good reputation, and she was affordable. Dickinson was still very close to NBC at the time—Police Woman was still shooting in 1978 and Dynasty began shooting in 1980–and would likely not have alienated them…unless it was a massive offer, and Dynasty had a small freshman budget.

by Anonymousreply 78September 14, 2021 8:56 PM

r78 Aaron Spelling sounds like a right character!

by Anonymousreply 79September 14, 2021 10:10 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought Angie Dickinson was more of a woman’s female star than a gay man’s female star.

It’s like asking why isn’t Jennifer Aniston a gay icon.

They didn’t do anything to warrant such a status.

by Anonymousreply 80September 14, 2021 10:27 PM

Kennedy even fucked Adele Astaire. Who didn't he fuck?

by Anonymousreply 81September 14, 2021 10:34 PM

r80 I have genuinely never thought that.I would personally not say that her appeal lies more with women than gay men.I would say her appeal is strongest with straight men ,then gay men and straight women last in whatever order. w

by Anonymousreply 82September 15, 2021 12:23 AM

R78, You're talking out of your shit crusted ass. Both Linda and Angie have stated numerous times over the years that Krystle was first offered to Dickinson and that has never been disputed or challenged, except by you.

by Anonymousreply 83September 15, 2021 12:48 AM

R83 Relax, Melissa Ann. You’re so much more bearable when you’re not spasming in the gutter.

by Anonymousreply 84September 15, 2021 12:52 AM

Angie has an absolutely beautiful smile in this picture that is enhancing the gorgeous nature of her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 15, 2021 12:56 AM

She’s not a gay icon because she’s boringly normal; there’s nothing ex she rated about her public persona it her performances onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 86September 15, 2021 1:01 AM

Angie Dickinson was offered multiple roles on Dynasty. Not just Krystal. The role of Lady Ashton was created for her. She declined and Ali McGraw was cast. She was approached a THIRD time for the part of Sable Colby...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 15, 2021 1:11 AM

R83 Because they understand the difference between a real, legal offer and agent/industry talk. An offer isn’t an offer until it’s in writing, reviewed by your agent and attorney, and awaiting your signature. Your agent telling you “Aaron Spelling would love you for a series he’s developing for ABC” means shit. Reading a script your agent sends you means nothing. There’s a difference between being considered for something and having a hard offer for something. But putting the former out there does not hurt anyone, it only enhances reputations. Why would anyone dispute it? I don’t think you understand anything about the entertainment industry. You’re a layman who goes by Wikipedia and blogs. But that’s OK. I’m happy to educate you.

by Anonymousreply 88September 15, 2021 1:13 AM

R88, Mommy needs a diaper change. Why don't you haul your ass upstairs to the first floor and be a dutiful son, you pathetic old queen.

by Anonymousreply 89September 15, 2021 1:21 AM

R89 Offer still stands: I’m happy to educate you. I can be the Annie to your Helen. #sisterhood

by Anonymousreply 90September 15, 2021 1:26 AM

"Pretty Maids all in a Row" = Angie seduces a teenage boy (John David Carson). This was the movie with Rock Hudson. I wonder if Rock had him? Rock played his school "counselor" who takes him under his wing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 15, 2021 1:27 AM

R91 Rock generally liked blond guys, but who knows?

by Anonymousreply 92September 15, 2021 1:32 AM

r91 Ooohh saucey!

by Anonymousreply 93September 15, 2021 1:34 AM

I was her body double in Dressed to Kill.

by Anonymousreply 94September 15, 2021 3:25 AM

You don’t look like Angie Dickinson r94

by Anonymousreply 95September 15, 2021 3:37 AM

r95 Oh Blanche!

by Anonymousreply 96September 15, 2021 6:23 PM

[Quote]You don’t look like Angie Dickinson [R94]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97September 15, 2021 6:27 PM

Love Angie in the Martini advert!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 15, 2021 11:27 PM

Photo of Angie Dickinson with Dean Martin while filming Rio Bravo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2021 11:59 PM

Bump!!

by Anonymousreply 100September 18, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]Why is Angie Dickinson not more widely seen as a gay icon?

She's too sane and normal and not camp

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2021 11:25 PM

[quote] Why is Angie Dickinson not more widely seen as a gay icon?

1. Because she's a Swede (isn't she?)

2. Because she has a problematic head (and her hairdressers don't know what to do with it)

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2021 11:28 PM

r101 Does her super glamourousness not make her a bit camp like other Hollywood goddesses of old who are classed as gay icons?

by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2021 11:30 PM

r102 Swedish? I thought she was born in North Dakota?

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]1. Because she's a Swede (isn't she?)

No.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 11:32 PM

Isn't Ann-Marget a Swede?

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 11:36 PM

Ann-Magnet is definitely a Swede.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 11:37 PM

[quote] The concept of Gay Icon is dated and will die out with your generation, OP.

I think you're right, R24. Gay bars have disappeared in the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 11:41 PM

Swedes are known to be principled and don't conform to the lowbrow ideals of LaLa Land.

Greta and Ingrid left. Another of Hitchcock's Swedes fornicated in adultery.

But the subject of this thread is of German heritage and willing to bend to those lowbrow ideals TV LaLa Land.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 11:49 PM

Gay Icons will never die out as long as gay men find vicarious "self" expression through female performers.

by Anonymousreply 110September 19, 2021 12:03 AM

r108 Disappeared is an overstatement.There are definitely less of them but I can think of several in the city that I live in.

by Anonymousreply 111September 19, 2021 12:04 AM

She’s a great gal, but a very private person.

by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2021 12:29 AM

[quote] she has a problematic head (and her hairdressers don't know what to do with it)

This woman has the same asymmetrical problem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2021 12:36 AM

She's pretty darn cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114September 19, 2021 12:40 AM

^ That man reeks of vanity.

He's pushing her out of the picture.

by Anonymousreply 115September 19, 2021 12:48 AM

Was he born with that nose?

by Anonymousreply 116September 19, 2021 12:51 AM

MSNBC’s Katy Tur looks a lot like Angie did in that picture with Kirk Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 117September 19, 2021 1:05 AM

R114, Balls deep for over an hour.

by Anonymousreply 118September 19, 2021 1:09 AM

r114 do we think they .. erm...?

by Anonymousreply 119September 19, 2021 1:10 AM

r112 I can believe she is very nice. No diva rumours at all or enemies in hollywood.

I think she even became good friends with Frank Sinatras last wife Barbara and remained good friends after he died until Barbaras death in 2017. She didnt seem to get involved with or fall out with Barbara or the Sinatra kids during their feud with each other after he died. At bare minium she must be very diplomatic, sensitive and tactful.

by Anonymousreply 120September 19, 2021 1:20 AM

She was never a hag or diva, nor needy for publicity, so not an icon. Women respected and admired her while men of her generation or older wanted to have her. She was not a great actress, but not a bad one. She knew how to use her glamor and wore her vanity well. She probably had a lot of fun with a lot of men, partly because she was so discreet.

by Anonymousreply 121September 19, 2021 2:37 AM

r121 Didnt she briefly beard for scottish american actor John Barrowman?

by Anonymousreply 122September 19, 2021 2:39 AM

Angie was dating David Janssen at the time of his sudden death in 1980, which left her distraught.

Here she is attending his funeral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123September 19, 2021 2:43 AM

Angie went on a talk show in the mid 1980s and said that she felt like she didn't matter. She was an actress. Of course was needy. But she's handled it better than most.

by Anonymousreply 124September 19, 2021 2:58 AM

r123 Dating? Wikipedia say s he was married at the time of his death and Angie was his costar?

by Anonymousreply 125September 19, 2021 3:04 AM

Separated.

by Anonymousreply 126September 19, 2021 3:05 AM

r126 Thanks

by Anonymousreply 127September 19, 2021 3:06 AM

David Janssen was also with DL fave Suzanne Pleshette in the 1960s. Even after they had both married other people, she said that their spouses were understanding of their bond. It wouldn't surprise me if that involved fucking. Would you want Tom Poston huffing and puffing away on top of you?

by Anonymousreply 128September 19, 2021 3:08 AM

R128, No to Tom, but yes to Troy Donahue.

by Anonymousreply 129September 19, 2021 4:04 AM

R125, Angie and Janssen were often seen together publicly for a couple of years before his death. At one of the AFI Life Achievement Award tributes in the late1970s, a cutaway shot showed them practically fondling each other.

by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2021 4:10 AM

Her kind of thin German hair requires LOTS of work to give it body and shape.

Every public appearance requires a day's worth of grooming.

by Anonymousreply 131September 19, 2021 11:14 PM

Did you know when Miss Angie Dickinson went to her first Dionne Warwick concert, escorted of course by Burt Bacharach, Dionne arrived on stage in a blonde wig!?

by Anonymousreply 132September 19, 2021 11:21 PM

Do you think Miss Angie Dickinson wears blonde wigs?

I would if was expected to be glamorous and had such thin German hair.

by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 11:32 PM

This is a wig, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 11:36 PM

Not sure r134 She still looks young enough there for it to be natural.

by Anonymousreply 135September 20, 2021 1:32 AM

R134, Definitely a wig.

by Anonymousreply 136September 20, 2021 2:43 AM

Her head is too big for her body

by Anonymousreply 137September 20, 2021 11:30 PM

Angie hosted SNL?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138September 21, 2021 12:40 AM

Happy 90th to one fabulous babe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139September 30, 2021 10:09 PM

Don't stars always have heads too big for their bodies?

by Anonymousreply 140September 30, 2021 10:17 PM

Maybe, R140, but nonagenarian Angie has a head shaped like a large, square box. And her hairdressers were flummoxed trying to make her look feminine.

by Anonymousreply 141September 30, 2021 11:07 PM

She was a bombshell. Very nice proportions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142September 30, 2021 11:14 PM

Thin German hair, what a load of complete bollocks.

by Anonymousreply 143October 2, 2021 10:12 AM

Uhh….. I have thin German hair. Why couldn’t my Italian genes show up? When I see a couple, and they both have thick, beautiful hair, I always think the same thing. “Couldn’t you two leave a little for the rest of us?!? Christ!!”

by Anonymousreply 144October 2, 2021 2:52 PM

Did Angie's pussy stink?

"In his upcoming book “Gatecrasher,” longtime gossip columnist Ben Widdicombe writes that a veteran Daily News editor once told him, “That sofa you’re sitting on right now … Mickey Mantle sat on that very sofa and told me how he once went on a date with Angie Dickinson, took her home, and was so drunk that he threw up while he was [performing a sex act on her].”

by Anonymousreply 145October 3, 2021 4:02 PM

Marlene also had thin German hair.

She also needed a lot of setting and grooming before each appearance. But she was allowed to wear hats in her day.

by Anonymousreply 146October 3, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] Why is Angie Dickinson not more widely seen as a gay icon?

Because all of her fans have cataracts or glaucoma.

by Anonymousreply 147October 3, 2021 10:33 PM

R145 A model slash actress I palled around with in the 80s was a hostess at Mickey's eponymous bar/restaurant on Central Park South and said he was hitting on all the girls until the end. He always looked very solid and sexy. Here is the naked locker room / post game press pic from the early 60s that may or may not be real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 4, 2021 2:47 AM

[quote]Miss Anjuh Dickinson

Thank you, Blanche. On Datalounge, one ALWAYS uses the honorific.

by Anonymousreply 149October 4, 2021 2:50 AM

Joan looks ravenous. She's going to devour sweet Angie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150October 6, 2021 12:05 AM

r150 I wonder if she did?!

by Anonymousreply 151October 8, 2021 1:39 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 8, 2021 10:05 PM

I think the outfit is fine. Functional.

by Anonymousreply 153October 8, 2021 10:13 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154October 8, 2021 10:14 PM

Good to see she appears well and still independent!

by Anonymousreply 155October 8, 2021 10:34 PM

R152, honey, what would you suggest she wear for a walk down the driveway to fetch the mail?

by Anonymousreply 156October 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Caftan. Earrings.

by Anonymousreply 157October 8, 2021 10:40 PM

R156, A Bob Mackie original.

by Anonymousreply 158October 9, 2021 1:29 AM

I just received my brand new Miss Angie Dickinson christmas ornament today!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159October 15, 2021 11:04 AM

For our Palm Springs Kweens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160October 16, 2021 8:47 PM

The men in Police Woman were hideous and that guy with the denim cap! I never watched a whole show.

by Anonymousreply 161June 11, 2022 6:55 PM

r108 Not entirely.Far from it although their long term future seems to suggest there will be fewer of them.Alas they could experience a renaissance .

by Anonymousreply 162October 1, 2022 1:53 AM

This person turned 91 today!

by Anonymousreply 163October 1, 2022 1:58 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 164October 1, 2022 1:59 AM

I have never seen "Police Woman." I have seen reruns of "Charlie's Angels," "The Bionic Woman," "Wonder Woman," "The Avengers" etc. But never "Police Woman." Icons don't just have to be established, they have to be maintained.

Also, it seems to me that much of Dickinson's work was in output that appealed most to str8 men. Gay men enjoy exploitation product if it has camp appeal to go along with the titties.

by Anonymousreply 165October 1, 2022 1:59 AM

She is, we love her but how many icons do we actually need!?

by Anonymousreply 166October 1, 2022 2:01 AM

This woman was born Angela Brown.

Claims to have had affairs with Frank Sinatra and reportedly John F. Kennedy. Married Burt Bacharach and had sexual relationships with Glenn Ford and Larry King.

by Anonymousreply 167October 1, 2022 2:06 AM

"Claims to have had affairs with Frank Sinatra"

Hopefully pre-Mafia

" and reportedly John F. Kennedy. "

I think that was the equivalent of the Vietnam War for Hollywood starlets at that time.

"Married Burt Bacharach"

Not too bad

" and had sexual relationships with Glenn Ford"

that sounds like a Glenn Ford p.r. thing

" and Larry King."

Poor dear lost her mind.

by Anonymousreply 168October 1, 2022 2:19 AM

I don't know that she's extremely secretivr. On Larry King Live she said Frank Sinatra was the love of her life. WTF?

I noticed her name was on the huge list of homo/bi stars the Hollywood columnist William Dakota compiled. She must have plowed 3/4 of Old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 169October 1, 2022 2:23 AM

r167 Glenn Ford really? I never knew that was a strong rumor.

by Anonymousreply 170October 1, 2022 2:24 AM

Tomorrow is Angie's birthday. September 30!

by Anonymousreply 171October 1, 2022 2:43 AM

r169 Did William Dakota name any women Angie is supposed to have slept with?

by Anonymousreply 172October 1, 2022 12:08 PM

r164 Are you sure you aren't misunderstanding what gay icon means or has meant in the past?

by Anonymousreply 173October 1, 2022 12:10 PM

R167- Who would want to have a sexual relationship with Larry King?

Eww

by Anonymousreply 174October 1, 2022 12:15 PM

She dated Larry. Are we really meant to believe she bedded him?

by Anonymousreply 175October 1, 2022 4:38 PM

Here with Stefanie Powers, Linda Evans and Nichelle Nichols. Four old broads.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176October 1, 2022 4:53 PM

r176 Great interview.

by Anonymousreply 177October 2, 2022 1:19 AM

Because Police Woman has been mentioned here I watched an episode on youtube. What a terrible show. Was it really so popular in its time? If so it hasn't held up.

by Anonymousreply 178October 2, 2022 6:42 AM

I love Angie ! She’s a great lady

by Anonymousreply 179October 2, 2022 8:52 AM

She's against METOO.

by Anonymousreply 180October 2, 2022 8:53 AM

This is a heartbreaking account of Angie’s daughter written by Angie . So sad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181October 2, 2022 9:12 AM

Bunp

by Anonymousreply 182October 3, 2022 3:24 AM

I just started watching Police Woman.

Angie really intrigued me.

She seems like a cool lady who did things her own way.

by Anonymousreply 183November 24, 2022 2:51 AM

OP just a heads up that Dressed to Kill was recently released in 4k. YAY!

by Anonymousreply 184November 24, 2022 2:52 AM

r184 Thank you!!

by Anonymousreply 185November 24, 2022 3:28 AM

She’s a class act and will never deliver a kiss n tell. She devoted most of her later years to her troubled daughter.

by Anonymousreply 186November 24, 2022 4:51 AM

I always feel compelled to offer this Burt Bacarach song for his daughter to this discussion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187November 24, 2022 4:56 AM

And Ed Ames with his gentle lyrics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188November 24, 2022 4:59 AM

She was primarily a straight man's movie star. Women liked her, too, especially after "Police Woman." I wrote a fan letter to her, and sent a photo for an autograph. She graciously signed it, and sent another photo, and wrote "with love and kisses". I was so touched. I loved her in "Police Woman" and "Dressed to Kill."

by Anonymousreply 189November 24, 2022 2:38 PM

She hung out with the Rat Pack..Sinatra, Martin, Davis and all....had to be cool enough to do that. On that alone, she has my respect. Also, gorgeous...great body.

by Anonymousreply 190November 24, 2022 3:34 PM

Her commentary on 1st season dvds of The Policewoman seems really honest and revealing — has made a fan (she was never on my radar before).

by Anonymousreply 191November 24, 2022 3:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!